(IC) The Hangover.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 6 posts
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 16:26
(IC) The Hangover
Erix nods to Tham and Albers, then calmly and quietly tries to help Betsy up, using a bit of his energy to try to further restore her to health.  With a grin and a wink, he nods to Brunok, letting the man believe what he wants about his position in the Watch without strictly confirming it.

Glancing back at Tham, he says gruffly and quietly, "It looks like you're having troubles getting by without me.  Do you need me to start keeping a closer eye on you just to keep you from getting into trouble at a simple party?"  It looks like Erix isn't able to properly carry Betsy without her assistance, but she also seems to be getting enough help from his calming aura to help supporting herself.
GM
 GM, 214 posts
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 17:39
(IC) The Hangover
Betsy's skin his hot to Erix's touch. He can feel it through her clothing. As he transfers some bolstering psychic energy to her, she slowly moves her head to bring her fixed gaze to his arms and then his face. Her eyes are blazing, almost literally, as she hisses "You dare!"

She doesn't pull away from him, but instead stands to her full height and grips Erix's arm. Suddenly, spiders begin to stream up her arm and onto his. A swarm of them is coming over the edge of the balcony you're on, and climbing up Betsy's leg to her arm to Erix's.

"The hell," says Brunok. The goblin gets to his feet and starts looking around for other sources of spiders, and for the best way off of this platform. This being Sharn, there are several to choose from, via ramps and stairways, leading up, down and away from the side of the tower.
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 8 posts
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 19:12
(IC) The Hangover
Eric raises his eyebrows and steps away from the agitated lady. He raises his empty hands, showing them to Betsy in order to ensure she knew he didn't have hold of her.  She begins to sway almost as soon as he releases her, her outrage fading and the energy provided going with it.

"Albers, it seems the answer is no." His eyes glance to the inflamed Dragonmark. In a whisper, "Is she someone that we want coming with us?"
GM
 GM, 216 posts
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 19:35
(IC) The Hangover
In reply to Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly) (msg # 10):

"That sorta' depends on who 'us' is and where they're going," says the goblin, keeping his distance from Betsy, and the rest of you. "I can think of a couple a' places she might be handy to have around, spiders included.

"Now, I figure we're even for my boys back there in the room. But if you still want me to take you to the shaman, I will, and you'll want her along for that. If the houses find her, it's not gonna work out well for her. Prob'ly stick her in a room somewhere, watch her go into withdrawal. Won't be pretty."
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 88 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 10 Jul 2017
at 21:22
(IC) The Hangover
'I don't like this any more than you do Erix', Albers replies, scowling at Betsy's arachnids. 'But I feel all our fates are tied. She comes with us, and we bring her to Brunok's shaman. I'm sure this all has to have a greater meaning'.

He looks up at the sky, which this being Sharn is impossible to see with all the cranes and towers and pullies and balconies, as if for supplication.

'No messing now Brunok. No dirty tricks, eh. Just a shaman', he warns, hoping against hope that his words to Erix have some truth.
GM
 GM, 219 posts
Tue 11 Jul 2017
at 19:10
(IC) The Hangover
In reply to Albers Josef (jacktannery) (msg # 12):

Brunok pulls a face and puts his hands up in defense, as if no one has ever been so unfairly judged. "Sheesh, alright. It's down and a few towers over."

The goblin leads you down a ramp that leads to a wide bridge that wends between some of the towers, like a suspended boulevard, complete with a narrow median of trees and grass that someone with a powerful green thumb must be keeping alive in the absence of real sunlight. Brunok glances back to see that Betsy has not moved, but is standing rigid with a fierce but distant look on her face. "Is she coming or what? She seems pretty out of it. Hey, maybe...." He mouths words and gesticulates to convey that one of you could entice her to move with the promise of more dragon's blood.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 137 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 00:26
(IC) The Hangover
Tham nods to Brunok. He hated the Goblin, wanted to skin him alive, but the creature was a necessary evil at this point. Brunok had pilfered Tham's pockets, stabbed Albers in the back instead of killing the sharks that then proceeded to chow down on Albers, Brunok and Tham until someone or something saved them. He still wasn't even sure what.

It had felt good lashing out with his sorcerous powers against the goblin and he looked forward to his next chance to do so. But for now...

"Betsy, the goblin's leading us to our next score. You know what that means, right?" He winks at the girl, he's not lying because it was true, Brunok was taking them to the place that Tham hoped would be a score, just not the score Betsy was looking for.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 89 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 07:04
(IC) The Hangover
Despite (or maybe because) of everything that his happened tonight, Albers actually quite likes Brunok, and the two chat easily on the way to the shaman's as Tham lures the narcotic-hungry Betsy behind them like a cat chasing a ball of yarn.
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 11 posts
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 07:25
(IC) The Hangover
  Still keeping a wary eye on Betsy as she stumbles along down the streets, Erix double-checks by touch that he has hidden any visible signs of being part of the Watch.  Where the group is going, such a position is unlikely to earn him any favors, after all.  Bad enough that he'd let it slip to Brunok.

  Erix lets the others move ahead of him, acting like he isn't a part of the group and trying to keep an eye out for anyone who might be following them.  After all, his friends weren't up to catching a 10-year-old pickpocket tonight, let alone an actual ambush, if he was any judge.  He's careful not to make any show of keeping his hand on his weapon, though it is openly on his belt, and he makes sure that he's still close enough that his friends don't worry about losing him.  He's interested in the story of how and why he'd had to pull these four from the sewer system, but this is clearly not the time or place.
GM
 GM, 221 posts
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 14:56
(IC) The Hangover
Brunok leads you down a number of ramps and stairways, Betsy following stiffly, and you notice a subtle change in the ambiance. All of you can tell that upkeep on the lighting here has fallen off a bit. Everywhere you go, you can usually see at least one light fixture that has been vandalized or removed. Many of the ones that still exist have had metal enclosures installed around them, which necessarily decreases their output.

Albers notices that the architecture is older here, closer to the roots of the towers, and that it's generally sturdier, or at least has been somewhat reinforced as the city was build higher. The network of bridges and byways becomes denser, which Tham has heard about from skycoach pilots unlucky enough to pull fares to the lower wards. The bridges have built up over time as populations and preferences have shifted and people wanted access between different towers. Some disused bridges have fallen into disrepair or just fallen, others have been converted into space for homes or shops, though there aren't any more people walking the streets here than in the middle ward.

Brunok points over the side of the bridge you're on at the moment. "That's the one," he says, indicating a span about thirty feet below you that has become encrusted on each side with tight rows of narrow wooden structures. "Midway across. Might be kinda tricky gettin' there though. Look."

On either end of the bridge is a group of people, mostly halflings, setting up some kind of checkpoint. Judging by their outfits and the markings on the small carts they have with them, they are representatives of House Jorasco, of the Mark of Healing.

Brunok looks at you sternly. "Before you get any ideas about getting healing from the Guild," he says, jerking his thumb in the direction of one of the Jorasco groups, "They might help Betsy, but they definitely won't have any dragon's blood, which is what she needs. And no offense to His Highness here," he nods at Tham, "but in my experience the Houses usually just try to take control over a situation whether they know how to handle it or not." He glances over the side again. "Just like they've got control of that bridge right now."
GM
 GM, 226 posts
Wed 19 Jul 2017
at 16:52
(IC) The Hangover
Brunok looks at the expression on Tham's face. "Oh, ho... I see whatchyer thinkin'." He takes a rescue token from a pocket, flips it in the air and catches it. "After you gents," he says.

Even with the reliable safety of the rescue token each of you has, actually stepping off a bridge into the open air is a gutsy move. Summon your chutzpah or trick yourself into doing it. (That is, you may roll Intimidate or Bluff DC 14.)

Given her odd mental state, Betsy will need some convincing. Instead of rolling for themselves, one player may roll Intimidate or Bluff on her behalf at a -2 penalty (still DC 14). She will jump in either case, it's just a matter of her degree of hesitation and panic. If no one attempts this, all checks following the party jumping off the bridge will take a -2 penalty.

You may roll any other skill you think is relevant for this action, against DC 21. Every check should be made assuming that the character has taken an action beyond talking, thinking or looking.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 141 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Wed 19 Jul 2017
at 17:08
(IC) The Hangover
Tham glares at Brunok for a moment and then winks and smiles at him and says, "Right you are. You're a better judge of character than I thought. That or my reputation proceeds me far more than I'd care to admit."

With barely a thought he calls back to Albers, "Convince Betsy that this is the quickest way to her next fix and she'll be right behind me." And with a whirl of his cape, he stepped off the bridge and fell until the token in his own pocket activated itself.




13:03, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 18 using 1d20+6.  Bluff.
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 13 posts
Tue 25 Jul 2017
at 05:45
(IC) The Hangover
Erix turns to the lady and eyes her up and down.  With a glance to Albers, Erix decides that maybe the roguish tiefling ought to focus on himself rather than the lady.  "It's not too far down, m'lady.  Absolutely no danger at all.  And, you've heard the goblin and your friend Tham.  You'll find the cure to what ails you just over the edge of that bridge.  Trust me."

Guiding the lady without touching her, his deceptive calm quietly from him, he encourages her to follow Tham over the edge of the bridge before following her down.



00:42, Today: Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly) rolled 28 using 1d20+10.  Bluff roll w/ a -2 penalty.
GM
 GM, 238 posts
Fri 28 Jul 2017
at 06:04
(IC) The Hangover
You're not sure if the breeze has picked this moment to grow chill and begin to gust, or if perhaps the architecture of the bridge incorporated some sort of a windbreak. Or maybe it's just the unfamiliar circumstance you find yourself in. In any case, the wind is having its way with you as you descend, tugging at your clothing and hair and threatening to blow you off course or cause you to spin.

Brunok, perhaps because he's smaller, isn't appearing to have much trouble. Betsy's more flowing outfit is catching more of the wind than Tham's and Erix's outfits. Were Albers in the air, his get up might give hers a run for its money in terms of poor aerodynamics.


To get fancy with the wind and work with it will be Arcana or Nature. If you feel you're close enough to the bridge you just left, you can use Athletics or Endurance to give yourself a nudge. Again, DC 14, -2 penalty for whomever helps Betsy, blanket -2 penalty going forward if no one does.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 145 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 02:03
(IC) The Hangover
Tham tries to spread out his cloak and slow his fall further to align himself to Betsy, but in doing so he misjudges and he begins to spin and careen off in the opposite direction. "Albers! Where are you?!?!" He bellows as he realizes he's in more trouble than he'd expected here.

OOC:22:01, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 9 using 1d20+5.  Arcana (-2 for helping Betsy).
And so it goes :).

Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 90 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 17:27
(IC) The Hangover
Albers is delighted at this course of action! 'Great idea Tham', he hollers down. 'All we need is to consider the aerodynamics.'

Although Albers has always wanted to crew a skyship, he's never had the opportunity. But he has carried out plenty of research on aerodynamics, particularly in terms of very high towers, which always need to be built with consideration to the winds. Grabbing a nearby board, then another, he positions them like sails and launches off the bridge, aiming for his buddy.

'You should be way better at this then me, with all your elemental hocus pocus', he shouts above the wind as he soars beautifully through the sky, catching the gusts and navigating the wind with a confidence that to most people would seem completely misplaced - but Albers has an almost religious sense of these things.

18:24, Today: Albers Josef (jacktannery) rolled 24 using 1d20+7.  Religion (architecture).

He catches Tham easily, and corrects the sorcerers course. 'The difference between magic and architecture', he explains as they float gently down to the lower level, 'is that your stuff is hit or miss, whereas mine - once you understand and trust the underlying mechanics - always work.'
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 14 posts
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 18:57
(IC) The Hangover
As soon as Erix realizes the wind is throwing him off course, he tries to re-direct himself with a nearby jutting balcony.  Unfortunately he misjudges the distance, and instead of redirecting himself, he sends himself tumbling in an uncontrolled free-fall.  With a muffled cry, Erix tries to get the attention of his fellows.



13:50, Today: Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly) rolled 12 using 1d20+7.  Athletics.

GM
 GM, 239 posts
Thu 3 Aug 2017
at 05:56
(IC) The Hangover
The party is getting spread out, it's looking like merely landing on the roofs of the buildings will be all anyone can hope for. There are a couple more bridges that might be usable for course corrections.

Perception or Acrobatics at this point would let you (or anyone really) make use of a piece of structure to adjust your fall.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 147 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 02:34
(IC) The Hangover
Alber's catching Tham helped right Tham's equilibrium and he proceeded to push away from his friend, and then pivoting his feet, he flipped and zoomed across an area, catching the side of another building with his hands, and then pushed off in a slightly spiral fashion so that he turned ever so slightly in preparation for the landing he hoped would be coming soon.

OOC: 22:32, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 21 using 1d20+5.  Acrobatics.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 92 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 22:50
(IC) The Hangover
Albhers spots some birds gliding on an invisible air current, and follows it, flapping ineffectually but having a fantastic time. He LOVES flying! He's disappointed when he alights gracefully onto the roof.


23:48, Today: Albers Josef (jacktannery) rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  Perception.
GM
 GM, 241 posts
Mon 7 Aug 2017
at 15:13
(IC) The Hangover
As Albers touches down, the spell ends. As his full weight returns, there's a sudden and noticeable shift in the level of the surface he's on, accompanied by the creak of stressed carpentry. These bridge dwellings might be a lot more ramshackle than they first appeared. Who'd've thought?

Brunok alights nearby, but is small enough not to make much difference, though he too can tell that the structure is barely safe to live in, let alone land and clamber around on. He looks at Albers with wide eyes, then back up at the other fallers. Tham, Erix and Betsy are about to land, and if it's not handled carefully something's going to give.


Perception or Acrobatics to find an approach that isn't going to put a lot of sudden strain on the building. Athletics or Endurance to hold on to the structure or someone else, or position yourself awkwardly, all in an effort not to wreck the edifice.

Albers can roll Religion again if he likes, since this is his field, but at DC 21. The gods and the general principles of architecture have already granted a lot of forgiveness to this arrangement of building. Even some of the extraplanar architects of Syrania, known for fanciful constructions, would look at this and say "Really?"

No structures are going to fall off the bridge, but a fašade could rip off, or a roof cave in, which will attract the Jorascos.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 93 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 00:12
(IC) The Hangover
This is foolhardy! But Albers has no choice. He squints - assesses the structure of the dwelling below. 'There's the chimney, so presumably over there is the bedroom. Brunok, when they get close push them to the right', he orders, taking command without really meaning to, and treating Brunok as as an ally without realising. Perhaps this is a way of making his peace with the gangster?

He jumps up and down on the ramshackle roof and break it just above the bedroom, almost falling down through the hole onto the soft mattress below. A few slates fall, narrowly missing a couple making love, and piercing a duvet that explodes into a cloud of feathers.

'Sorry', Albers shouts down from the roof at the post-coital lovers. 'You girls better move - party landing!'

The noise and feathers invariably attract the dastardly Jarascos - but Albers is confident that love, architecture and style will always triumph.
Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly)
 player, 16 posts
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 08:05
(IC) The Hangover
Tumbling out of control after his unfortunate attempt to right himself earlier in the fall, Erix tries to get his bearings in order to steady his descent and control his landing.  Unfortunately, the tumble had left him too dizzy to get a solid view on anything, let alone a clear enough view to get his bearings.  In the end, he landed without any control...shoulder down on a roof about 50 feet from Albers.  The wind was knocked from him and he groaned as he lay flat upon the sagging slate rooftop, not even bothering to look around at his surroundings to see who might have witnessed the ungraceful landing.





02:59, Today: Erix Helmworth (Godzfirefly) rolled 13 using 1d20+4.  Perception.


I assumed that was another failure and worded my description accordingly.  (If the skill challenge is still going, I'd happily roll an Endurance check to get up quickly from that rough landing...lol.)

This message was last edited by the player at 08:05, Thu 10 Aug 2017.

GM
 GM, 244 posts
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 21:59
(IC) The Hangover
The group is down. It wasn't graceful and the group is scattered along the central rooftops, but at least no one went over the side. The magic of the tokens, now spent, prevented any serious injury. Still, plenty of noise was made and you can hear the high, almost childlike voices of the Jorascos, moving down the block toward you.

Brunok gets on to the roof of his building and beckons Tham, Erix and Betsy. He glances down the hole at Albers, leers at the delicto that's currently in flagrante, shrugs, then hops down.

The buildings are chock-a-block, so it's a relatively simple matter of cajoling Betsy over the rooftops.

The couple has cleared out of the room by the time the last of you drops into the room. "Luckily, the walls of these shacks are no tougher than the roofs," says Brunok, "The shaman's two buildings over, on the ground floor. Eh, just don't take out anything that looks loadbearing, huh?"

It proves necessary only to widen a few existing holes, though the move is complicated by Betsy passing out, drenched in sweat, dragonmark standing out like it's carved into her dry skin. While moving her through the second hole, you're assailed by roaches, rats, spiders, flies and skinny cats who decide to call a truce to protect the unconscious Vadalis heir. You manage to cope with them, and find that all of the little animals don't appear to want to  enter or mass inside the shaman's establishment. They wait at the other side of the hole, thousands of eyes, glaring at you.

You find yourself in a shadowy chamber. There's a fire crackling in a hearth, but it's obscured by various piles of presumably shamanistic paraphernalia and a tall figure with an oddly cylindrical body, standing at a table. Primal implements float in the air before it . You can hear pounding and voices: the Jorascos demanding entrance.

"Uh," mutters Brunok, "Daask needs a service performed. Uh, ma'am."

"Yes," says the figure, and as it turns toward you, you can see that you're dealing not with a humanoid, but with a naga, a huge serpent, with a human's head, raised from coils on the floor like a cobra ready to strike. "I heard you come in."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:17, Mon 29 Jan 2018.

GM
 GM, 246 posts
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 17:35
(IC) The Hangover
The naga regards you with interest. Its eyes, set in a smooth, greenish, human face, with a head of dark hair, are snakelike, but with human lids. If you had to guess, you'd say that it was female. The "head" end of the body is as big around as any of you, and in the cluttered room it's difficult to see exactly where the body ends.

"Eh, yeah," says Brunok. He indicates the unconscious Betsy. "This lady, she went into withdrawal from dragon's blood, then overdosed. I'm calling in a Daask favor for you to help her." He accompanies this with some hand jive, apparent to display his bona fides. The naga, perhaps due to its lack of hands, indicates some impatience with this rigmarole and shows more interest toward the rest of you, and Betsy.

"My with the Daughters is to provide services to Daask," says the naga. This not being a play for children, there is nothing about her voice that indicates her ophidian nature: you already get it. "I wager that none of you are members of Daask, nor otherwise in its employ. Friends of the lady, I suppose? Admirers?" Looks straight at Tham. "Fellow dragon's blood user, perhaps?"

She takes your responses in stride. Instead of immediately answering any questions you have, she says "Carefully clear a table and place her on it," she turns back to Brunok. "This strains the nature of our arrangement. I will expect extra compensation from your associates. Furthermore," she turns back to you, "If you want your questions answered, help your friend get treated and redeem the rudeness of your intrusion, you can serve by getting the House of Healing to leave me in peace." A door opens, revealing a dim and slightly off-kilter hallway off of which the front door can presumably be found.