Bast's Den.   Posted by Master of Ceremonies.Group: 0
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 68 posts
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 18:44
Bast's Den
About 45 minutes  out from Ragtown,on the edge of one of the black lakes sits a ruin.
A toppled shell of a cheap high rise apartment building, built before the fall when people actually fucking built things as opposed to slapping some plywood on a shithole and calling it a hardhold.

People tend to stay away.
Animals tend to stay away.
Hell, even to he mouthmen stay away.

Sometimes you see movement in the windows,just out the corner of your eyes.

"What does the inside look like?
 How do the child-things live?

Bast
 player, 4 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 02:38
Bast's Den
A low mound of grassy earth covers the shattergrave that used to be the Atropos Center for Assisted Living. Inside this tangle of crawlspaces, jagged rubble and re-purposed hospital beds, swarm the Children of the Mother, attracted there by the Waygate deep within it.

They have cleared, chewed (Child-Things may eat nearly anything) and scavenged places for themselves here, secure from larger predators. They can get nearly anywhere through the Gate (and do) and small valuable (or just plain shiny) objects and food stashes go missing with monotonous regularity all over the world, only the constant threat of the Wolves a check on their thievery.

Bast's spot, as normal for a Protector, is next to the Waygate, convenient to deal with Wolves coming through. It used to be one of the patient rooms, now lying on it's side, with access provided through the former ventilation duct. Her bed is a former hospital pallet (of which the Den has an endless supply waiting to be chewed out) and it is decorated with a random assortment of objects of both the old and new world. Her gluing frame occupies one corner, with a spare set of armor, some bones and an assortment of choice scraps waiting against need.

A much-used chess set stands on a half-crate in the opposite corner (often with a couple of Children staring intently at it) and a bottle of water and some cans, a first-aid kit and a tiny stove occupy the third.
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 70 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 15:00
Bast's Den
The way floats and wavers infront of Bast,a familiar but wholly unidentifiable smell floats through the air as Bast stares into it.
Over the sound of young children playing, laughing and screaming as they play,the faintest sound of scuttling can be heard just on the other side of The Way.

Heavy footsteps are heard behind Bast before a short boy in khaki shorts and a patched t-shirt and combat boots slightly to big for him walks in behind Bast.

True to his name,Scab's face,knees and elbows all have cuts of various states of healing on them.
In his right hand he's got a bone ripped off some wasteland animal.
 "I got you this...I know you use 'em..."
He stands in silence for a bit,staring at The Way before speaking again
"Somthing's happening, the Normals from The Spring are pissed at somthing..."
He clenches his fist around the bone before twirling it around his hand before casting a look over his shoulder.
"The Magi are up to somthing as well...saw Widge coming back late a few nights ago and you know he never does anything without Hey's says so."

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:01, Wed 26 Apr 2017.

Bast
 player, 5 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 15:32
Bast's Den
Bast weighed the bone in her hand. She was obviously expected to do something for it, but on the other hand good gluing bones were hard to find. Deciding, she gave Scab a bright smile. "Tell you what, you see what the Magi are up to. Try talking to Koo, if she knows she will tell you just to piss Hey off." Hmm, he wasn't going for it. Time to sweeten the pot. "And I will see if I can find out what has got the Normies stirred up. Suits?"

She nodded at his nod, letting her mind drift...

17:20, Today: Bast rolled 7 using 2d6-1.  Manipulate.
Quid quo pro, suits.
17:22, Today: Bast rolled 12 using 2d6+2.  Open brain.
Start as you mean to go on I always say, and Bast will do a lot of opening her brain. In this case she is looking for a lever to what is stirring the Normals. Where to start? Who to talk to? Who to spy on? Of course if it is all there in the Maelstrom, great. Move on to plotline.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 71 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 19:26
Bast's Den
Scab's response fades away as you recede into the maelstrom,the soothing heartbeat of mother maelstrom.

She nurtures you and soothes your doubts with sotto words. She guides you through dizzying colours and the song of the end.
You're lead to a city of tents, deserted and hollow,unfeeling.
A hulk of a figure,distinguishible only by a mask is chained by a titanic swine, gluttoned on excess.
Next to them stands a beast with the face of a beautiful woman,her scales adorned with all the colours of the world and the song of life and live on her many lips and the abyss of forever in the sockets of her eyes

The sound of rushing water can be heard growing closer as a inky pool forms around your ankles.

-on't know Bast...You know what the Magi can be like,I'd like some backup if I'm messing around with those mad bastards..."
Scab's still there,idling picking at a scab on his forearm as his voice brings you back.
"I mean,it's not like I'm scared of them or anything but I'm not gonna go fucking about in their shit all willy nilly..."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:36, Wed 26 Apr 2017.

Bast
 player, 8 posts
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 05:13
Bast's Den
Bast sent a last pulse of gratitude down the fading link, then considered what the Mother had told her, absently replying to Scab. "Sure Scab, take Sox and Tika with you."

Something was stirring up the Black Water. The key figures were two of Black springs notables, Momo, whom she knew about as well as any other Biggun, and Dusk, who she was fairly certain to be a disguised Wolf. Looked like she was going to Black Springs.

"I would go with you myself, but it looks like I am going to Black Springs." Her eyes hardened. "I will remind you however, that we are the Protectors. If the Wolves bother people, we stop them. If the Magi bother people we stop them. If the Bigguns bother people we stop them. If beasts in general bother people we stop them. We do not cower. That is who and what we are!"

'Normals' is not very childish, let us make anyone over four foot high a 'Biggun' rather.
Add to Dramatis Personae:
Sox, a rank and file Protector
Tika, an Isolate but a good friend to Sox.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 72 posts
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 15:58
Bast's Den
Scab grimaces and not just because he just succeded at the removal of one of his name sakes."Okay...I'll try to stop Nif from taking on half the way by herself be careful though...Normals don't take to kindly to outsiders message about in their stuff.
With that he stalks away,puffing himself and trying to make himself seem older,
He does that alot,sometimes you get the impression he takes on more than he can handle.

The scuttling has been joined by a slight titter as you stand there.
Bast
 player, 9 posts
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 16:14
Bast's Den
Bast collected her spear then moved up to the Way. Cupping her hands, she called out "Going through, going through", waiting as those desiring to use the Way (driven by need or desire or whim) drifted up to it.

Opening herself, she passed through the Way, arriving in the Nexus to see...

Note, this is not a gang, it is those Children wanting to go elsewhere. It does not fight for her, she fights for it (assuming there are Wolves in the Nexus but there usually are).
She is ready for a Wolf, or even a pack of them and will engage so that the other Children can get past them.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 76 posts
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 11:29
Bast's Den
Two other children move up to the way,Swipe, one of Nif's guys,he's a narrow faced kid with buck teeth. The other one is Pop,an isolates,she has big staring eyes and a collection of reading glasses hanging from her neck.

Stepping through The Way,you're assaulted by a myriad of sensations as the physical world falls away and all normal way od gauging distance and height become meaningless.

Leaping from shimmering glass to clear pools you navigate the swirling mirror world,you feel the Swipe and Pop behind you as sure as you can feel the wolves trying to find you as sure as yu can feel Mother all around you.

You burst out into the dawn sun,a tent flap trailing after you before falling limp.
The smell of cooking meat,sweat and he stink of the Poisoned Chalice reach you.
Bast
 player, 10 posts
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 12:03
Bast's Den
Bast heaved a sigh of relief. As useful as the Nexus was, it was also dangerous. She was no Mage, to take it lightly. Looking around,she got her bearings, then headed for Momo's squat.

-> To Momo's Den
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 126 posts
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 23:11
Bast's Den
Momo retches on the floor of the darkened room.
Bast stands,eyes adjusting to the darkened room,a room she recognises.

The surgical room of the Ruined High rise.

They're both blinded as the dim room is illuminated as the lights are thrown on.

"Stay still biggun! Unless you want to end up holed. " Koo says as several spears are leveled at Momo and Bast.

The sound of a hammer being raked back punctuating the statement as one of the many isolates cocks a old kalashnikof.
Momo
 player, 59 posts
Sat 10 Jun 2017
at 02:57
Bast's Den
The metal sound of readied death snaps Momo to a standstill. He looks up and scrambles to his feet, picking up a rock from the ground and holding it menacingly. The knuckles in his hand are white, just like his eyes as they stare from behind the mask. He readied himself to lunge at the nearest child, muscles tensing.
Bast
 player, 55 posts
Sat 10 Jun 2017
at 07:34
Bast's Den
"Easy Protectors, easy. He is with me. Although how we got here is a bit of a head-scratcher." Bast walked over to Momo, patting him gently on the back. "Easy Momo, these are my brothers and sisters. Relax, okay?"
Momo
 player, 60 posts
Sat 10 Jun 2017
at 18:09
Bast's Den
Momo looks down at Bast, rock held high, before slowly lowering it. He keeps it held in his hand as he looks around at the other children. He simply waits.
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 127 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 16:27
Bast's Den
Koo raises one of her eyebrows and surveys you for a second,Bast hearing a brief mental exchange, before the group lowers their weapons slightly.

Her voice sounds in Bast's head.
"Mind explaining why you thought it was a good idea to bring...him...here?"
Bast
 player, 56 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 17:04
Bast's Den
Bast shrugged to hear Koo's voice in her head. Koo always worried that a careless word would expose their secrets to bigguns when in fact most bigguns stayed as far away from the Maelstrom as possible. Still, it cost nothing to play along and she replied the same way. "I didn't. we were following a Way, a made Way through which monsters, sounded like Wolves to me, had come. It didn't lead here. Why we ended up here, I dunno. Mother maybe?"

She patted Momo's back again to let him know that despite appearances, things were in fact happening.
Momo
 player, 61 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 19:05
Bast's Den
Momo looks down again to Bast at the touch. The theme of Momo's confusion continues as he waits, unsure of his surroundings, the children in those surroundings, or why he is even here. He continues to breath slower and slower as the adrenaline leaves his body, his mask valve shuddering open, then closed ad infinitum.
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 131 posts
Sun 18 Jun 2017
at 12:16
Bast's Den
"A made way? Where was this?"Koo answers incredulous,accidently using speaking out loud.

Another Child speaks up,A Magi called Nat,"And why are you running around with the Bigguns now?" He says accusingly.
Bast
 player, 58 posts
Sun 18 Jun 2017
at 12:33
Bast's Den
Bast nodded at Koo. "Yeah, I know. Weird, right? Had trouble believing it myself, and I traveled the thing. But... Is there a Way here? Has there ever been a Way here?"

"Because they are willing to fight Wolves." Her hard glare reminded Nat that she was a Protector, with all that that implied.
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 134 posts
Sun 18 Jun 2017
at 15:29
Bast's Den
Nat looks like he wants to retort but bites it back,his face going a wonderful shade of puce.

Koo is tapping her chin like she does when she's thinking.
"No,Never,certainly not one of mine and I don't believe anyone here would be dumb enough to open one so near the Bigguns...No offense Big Guy" She nods at Momo sheepishly.
Bast
 player, 59 posts
Sun 18 Jun 2017
at 17:26
Bast's Den
Bast gave Koo a sideways look when she implied that she could make Ways, but let it pass without comment, turning her mind instead to the problem of how to get Momo out of the Den. The slipways were (deliberately) too small for him, and the Isolates were certain to oppose the idea of taking him through the Nexus, even assuming that Momo could handle a trip through there. Straight out up would be shortest, but that was a lot of clearing work. Hmm, through to Gallery 12, that was big enough for him, and slanted up. From there... hmm.
Momo
 player, 62 posts
Sun 18 Jun 2017
at 17:30
Bast's Den
Momo doesn't respond, rather indifferent to anything that Koo has said.