Act the first: Scouring for Spanners.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
Zados Bec
 player, 31 posts
 Falleen
 Smuggler
Wed 10 May 2017
at 04:20
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"I agree with Adria and Dargo. If we can disable the sphere now, or, better yet, salvage it, we'll make more money, and it'll be easier to fly out of here. Let's see if there's an obvious docking port."
Kesto Trin
 player, 19 posts
 Duros
 Slicer
Wed 10 May 2017
at 07:09
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Kesto is faaaaaaar too busy in his own world of equations, theories and natural phenomenon to even hear the conversation going around him.

meta: I'd like to take a look but i leave it to you.
Lamak Nir
 player, 18 posts
 Shistavanen / Trailblazer
Wed 10 May 2017
at 14:29
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Nir whuffed quietly at the suggestion of getting closer to the device, let alone disabling it.

"Are we hoping whatever that was ... just doesn't happen again?"
Gan'ah Darnum
 player, 18 posts
 W: 0/13 S: 0/15
Sat 13 May 2017
at 03:06
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"If you're going to intentionally go towards the thing that's gonna damage the ship, I'm putting in for hazard pay. Also, if we die, I'm gonna murder you." Gna'ah's voice once again comes from the engine room.
The GM
 GM, 34 posts
Sat 13 May 2017
at 04:47
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Enough of the crew are intrigued by the sphere to change the course at the helm. None of you have forgotten the pulse of energy, and you circle to the far side of the object so if it activates again, you are farther away from the wash of energy.

Approaching to within a couple kilometers lets you run more detailed sensor scans on the object. Some of the sensor wavelengths react crazily to something in the structure, and others give you more normal if limited readings.

Okay, majority vote favored investigation or abstention. Your sensors are acting funky this close to the object, but can see there are no visible energy spikes or sources on the surface. Finding more out by filtering through the sensors is going to be a 2d Computers check with a setback for unfamiliarity with the subject.

Adria Basene
 player, 13 posts
Wed 17 May 2017
at 13:04
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Adria looked around the apparently stunned crew.

"Ok guys, the quatermaster cant be the only one who sees the profit if we can recover some sort of broad spectrum ion converter. Lets get on it!"


09:04, Today: Adria Basene rolled 1 success, 4 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 4A.  Leadership to get the egg heads and wrench jockeys to work.
Kesto Trin
 player, 21 posts
 Duros
 Slicer
Wed 17 May 2017
at 18:12
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Kesto whispers to himself, "Damn that's not feasible.". Noticing that some time has passed since he entered his own world and that the ship is now over the object. The scans are coming and Kesto reads over the information quickly. "hmm.. interesting.." he says to himself and then louder to the group;"There are some seriously wonky EM readings from the object. I'll try to filter it to make some sense out of this.."


Got codebreaker, that should work in this instance, yes? =)


20:10, Today: Kesto Trin rolled 4 successes, 2 threats using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 2a 2p 2d ((7(A), 1(A), 2(P), 5(P), 6(D), 7(D)))

The GM
 GM, 36 posts
Fri 19 May 2017
at 13:30
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
By manipulating the sensor frequencies over a period of minutes, you find the cause. Parts of the object's surface are reflective in those spectrums, but even more odd - something inside the object is somehow concentrating certain energies before they reflect.

You discover there are access ports at the top and bottom poles, holes about 100m in diameter, leading into the inside of the spheroid.

The threats will be two system strain on the ship, as the sensor readings take a bit more abuse than you'd planned. No lasting damage, however.
Gan'ah Darnum
 player, 20 posts
 W: 0/13 S: 0/15
Mon 22 May 2017
at 16:35
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Hey guys, what's going on? Some of us have important work to do, we can't spend all our time gawking at some giant hunk of metal!"
Adria Basene
 player, 14 posts
Mon 22 May 2017
at 17:19
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Something that can disrupt systems like this must be valuable, but I dont see anyway to get inside if it disrupts our tech..."

Adria fiddled with the console, giving herself a moment to think.

"Maybe we could use an air suit with pneumatic air supply? No circuits, if we could turn the thing off we could salvage it."
The GM
 GM, 37 posts
Tue 23 May 2017
at 05:25
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
You could easily cobble together something of that sort - one of the spacesuits has a manual air tank valve to control flow rate through the rebreathing apparatus. The ship is equipped with a 300m tether for the suits, as well as several hundred more yards of assorted cable and line - even if another pulse took out all electronics, you could still breathe as well as haul yourself back to the ship.
The GM
 GM, 40 posts
Sun 28 May 2017
at 04:00
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
With some creative work, you are able to rig up a totally manual suit and spacewalk to the object. You nearly bounce off it as you land, and realize there is very little mass involved.

The hole yawns widely into the blackness. The glowrods on the suit helmet actually penetrate further than you're used to, showing you a reflection seeming much closer than it is.

At the core of the object is another sphere, covered also with an array of flat planes and with a line of antennae around its equator. Watching how the glow of your headlamps scatters, and working out some math, you figure that the device captures and concentrates energy waves. The disturbance of a hyperspace jump in its vicinity is likely what triggered the initial pulse, as it is completely inert; you will likely be safe from any further pulses, and by the time it activates from your departure you will be at least half a light-year distant.

Curiosity satisfied, you turn the ship towards the target planet and are orbiting it a few hours later. The surface is mottled shades of deep blue and grey, marred by almost no craters from meteors.
Adria Basene
 player, 16 posts
Tue 30 May 2017
at 04:59
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Adria finished logging the data on the strange device.

"Any ideas as to what something like that could be for. If its a pirate tool then where are the pirates?"

She bought up a scan and tried to estimate the tonnage needed to haul the thing.

"A pocket interdictor would be worth a mint to the... Umm, more politically active."
Dargo Temil
 player, 20 posts
Tue 30 May 2017
at 16:52
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Better than an interdictor in some ways. An invading ship would not only be stuck, but disabled and adrift. Certainly of interest to a lot of people."
Gan'ah Darnum
 player, 24 posts
 W: 0/13 S: 0/15
Tue 30 May 2017
at 17:17
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Gan'ah makes his way up from the engine room, having finished up the makeshift repairs on the hyperdrive. "Yep. Might could make us a lot of money off of something like that." he says as he leans in the door to the cockpit. "More to the point, could someone please remind me why we're here?"
Adria Basene
 player, 17 posts
Tue 30 May 2017
at 21:36
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"I don't know if they company has anything with enough tonnage to move it," Adria mused, tapping a few keys to bring up the original assignment for Gan'ah.

"We are supposed to find an old survey vessel. The theory is that its logs might have useful data we can employ. GX-255 A38 was it's last known location."
The GM
 GM, 42 posts
Fri 2 Jun 2017
at 03:31
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Running the scanners on the planet's surface, you're able to tell it has a very high metals content. That, along with the very thin atmosphere would seem to explain why no native flora ever evolved, at least nothing your scanners catch.

Narrowing the search for spacefaring materials yields you better results. Concentrations of durasteel, maytag crystals, kiirium and related alloys identify at least a dozen sizeable crash locations on the surface.

Given the info available to you - there are eight sites of potential interest. One is very large, one is two signals very close together, and the remaining six are roughly equivalent interest. You won't pick up any more information from orbit - which do you want to investigate first?
Adria Basene
 player, 18 posts
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 22:36
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Adria nodded decisively. Clearly she needed to protect the companies financial interest.

"Head for the largest concentration, biggest potential pay out. While we are at it can we make some plots to see if these smaller sites are debris from a larger break up?"
Kesto Trin
 player, 23 posts
 Duros
 Slicer
Thu 8 Jun 2017
at 15:50
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Still sitting in the cockpit at one of the consoles, not one for much manual labour. "If those crash sites are ships then maybe I can identify the we're looking for by it's mass and material composition. Hopefully our quarry isn't among those 8." Kesto says over the comms as he starts to working on the data he is receiving and comparing those to the general make and material in a standard survey vessel. "We should also try to emit as little radiation of any kind as possible. It might trigger something though probably not something as bad as the initial pulse. Perhaps we should stay on low speeds and limit our scanning to be safe."
Dargo Temil
 player, 21 posts
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 20:07
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
Dargo studies the readout, "Starting with the biggest makes sense to me. Though the two close to each other intrigues me as well."
Gan'ah Darnum
 player, 26 posts
 W: 0/13 S: 0/15
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 21:46
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Biggest it is, then." Gan'ah says. "I'm gonna go get my gear ready. Call me when we're getting out of here."
The GM
 GM, 44 posts
Sat 10 Jun 2017
at 20:40
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
The thin atmosphere barely heats the ship's hull as you descend to the surface of the planet. In a few minutes you can make out a dark crevasse on the surface of the world, scorched and blackened along one ridge as if engines had burned away the edge.

The bottom is only a couple hundred meters from the surface, and fairly flat. You can make out the mostly intact wreckage of a large ship; by the styling and shape you guess it to be an old passenger liner of some kind. It's almost certainly not the ship you were sent to find, but looks to be in very good condition, especially given its age.

It'll be a 2d computers check to plot the remaining wreckage sites as you approach.
Kesto Trin
 player, 24 posts
 Duros
 Slicer
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 13:13
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Oh boy. We can salvage here alright. Let me see what else there is.".
 With a few taps on the console in front of Kesto, he quickly plots a course for the rest of the wreckages.

15:11, Today: Kesto Trin rolled 1 success, 3 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 2a 2p 2d ((2(A), 3(A), 11(P), 10(P), 2(D), 6(D))).

The GM
 GM, 45 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 14:16
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
The computer mapping seems to show that none of the sites are wreckage from the same ships. They also all seem to fall within 30 degrees of the small planet's equator, with two of the sites falling almost exactly on it.
Adria Basene
 player, 19 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 15:19
Act the first: Scouring for Spanners
"Looks like they probably all fell victim to the orbiting interdiction field," Adria said thoughtfully.

"Lets make flybys of all the sites, seeing they are clustered so neatly around the equator, might as well start with richest picking."