Prologue: First Move.   Posted by Raellus.Group: 0
Ana Kovac
 player, 90 posts
 DSS Special Agent
 Blunt Implement
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 21:54
Re: Prologue: First Move
"Maybe we'll start a new urban legend," Ana mutters as the BTR begins rolling.  "The spetznaz team that comes to town, does good deeds in the night, and leaves you with a moral lesson.  'Knowing is half the battle!'"  She snorts derisively, keeping her eyes on the landscape.
Raellus
 GM, 145 posts
 Sage
 Storyteller/Arbiter
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 16:22
Re: Prologue: First Move

Orion leaves Ostrowite, keeping to country roads and bearing east. The goat stumbles around in the APC's troop compartment a bit before giving up and falling on its side, where it stays.

The miles roll slowly by. Randy's gotten quiet good at operating the BTR-40 in the dark. It occurs to the seasoned Orions, however, that, after near constant heavy use, the batteries of their night optical devices will soon be running out of juice, leaving them essentially blind. In the open fields, the moonlight is bright enough to navigate by but in the woods which blanket most of this region it's too dark to safely drive at night, unless the team wants to chance running with the BTR's blackout lights.

Near dawn, on a forested track approximately 15km east of Ostrowite, the party rounds a curve and nearly runs into a group of fellow travelers in the process of breaking camp. From a distance, they appear to be civilians, but not of the ordinary variety one could reasonably expect to meet in these parts. One of the people is so pale that she (female gender suggested by long white hair) appears to glow in the green-tinted view of NVGs. Another is the size of a child, but his short limbs bely an adult dwarf. A third is unnaturally tall- a full head and shoulders above the albino. By comparison, a fourth and final [visible] member of the odd coterie is remarkably average in appearance.

The albino spots the slowly approaching APC and pauses in her work. No weapon appears. The pallid figure waves casually. The others continue to go about the business of preparing their odd conveyance for departure. A tall, curtained framework rises from the cargo bed of the wagon. Various accoutrements- some of them recognizable (pots & pans), others not (shiny hoops)- hang from the its sides. The wheels appear to be truck tires. The giant is hitching a pair of horses to the wagon.


Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Fri 10 Nov 2017.

Will Corden
 player, 80 posts
 USMC (DIA)
 Point Man/Grenadier
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 17:30
Re: Prologue: First Move
"Dibs on...shit..." Will said quickly, after spotting the white haired woman.  His tone was forceful at first, then grew sheepish at the end.  Perhaps after the long drive and lack of sleep he forgot that a) he was among highly professional DIA operatives and not Fleet Marine Force jarheads who "treat objects like women, man," and b) that he was in mixed company, one of whom was his CO.

"Umm... they don't look hostile," Corden added, assessing the group ahead.  "Maybe even friendly," Will said as he watched the albino wave toward the vehicle.
Astrid Sorensen
 player, 126 posts
 Former Olympian
 Sniper
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 19:36
Re: Prologue: First Move
"The last group didn't look hostile either at first, remember?" Astrid said to Will. "The cultists I mean, not the old babushka." The former Olympian added for clarification, probably unnecessarily. There was an edge to her voice, one fuelled by a fatigue that a few brief catnaps during the course of the night had done little to alleviate.

Her rifle was next to her, although she didn't reach for it. But neither did she return the wave as she watched the small group gathered by the wagon with a mixture of suspicion and curiosity, paying particular heed for any sign of weapons or any hint that they might pose a threat.
Lizzie Kane
 player, 135 posts
 USN LCDR (DIA)
 Team Leader
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 13:53
Re: Prologue: First Move

The existential dread of possible ambush has been replaced with fatigue and the more general malaise of watching the battery life indicator in her NVGs run slowly down.  In the near future, the stomach churning action of throwing another pair of AAs into the woods is going to be coming around.  Another disposable product now irreplaceable.  There's a metaphor in there somewhere that wouldn't require much digging to find.  If she wasn't yawning.  Then the strangers come into view.

It's a circus sideshow, Lizzie has time to process before calls dibs.  Lizzie has worked around Type A killers (and men, and boys) long enough to recognize the action for what it is.  Still, given the group Will is traveling with, it causes her to raise an invisible eyebrow and cock her head a notch.  Instead of calling him out, she softly whistles a few bars of a certain Dennis Leary song.*

A few seconds tick by, Lizzie can feel her people stirring around her, eyeballs peering out at the strange group and waiting for her to make a decision and give them some direction.  Well, except Max who's taking a well deserved, blood loss driven, nap.  He and the goat are keeping each other warm.  One of them will stink worse than the other when they stir or they will have combined odors into some sort of musky, bloody, cordite-y, mix of German and goat.  Should be amazing.

"Okay," Lizzie says softly.  "They look fairly vulnerable and the right kind of polite.  Given that they're camping in bum-fucked-Egypt, they probably aren't looking to stir up trouble either.  Astrid's point stands, though.  Let's do this carefully, there's been enough killing for a bit."  The fact is, Orion needs more information.  Where the bad people are, for instance.  Or maybe if it's safe to drive during the day around here.  It's still a long way to where they were supposed to be two nights ago.  Shit, is that all it's been?  And they need a good campsite.  "What do you say, Will?  Should we try to get you a date?"  Okay, she couldn't let it totally go unremarked.

Lizzie unbuckles slowly and slides out of the BTR, leaving her assault rifle behind.  Ana and Will probably won't and that's fine.  That's why she has them.  For this group, Lizzie will trust her pistol.  She walks slowly, arms held out from her body palms out.  She watches the odd assortment of people, but doesn't stare, holding eyes, not bodies.

She goes with Polish.  And Ana's fairy tale version of the roving KGB team of good. "Dzień dobry. Przepraszam, że przeszkadzam w twoim obozie. Chcesz się napić kawy i porozmawiać o drogach?"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Good morning.  Sorry to disturb your camp.  Care to share some coffee and talk of the roads?


* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs
Astrid Sorensen
 player, 127 posts
 Former Olympian
 Sniper
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 15:00
Re: Prologue: First Move
"Hey, Schenker, aufwachen." Schenker, wake up. Astrid's nostrils flared briefly, catching a whiff of the goat as she leaned down, gently shook Max's shoulder. She felt slightly guilty about waking him but letting him carry on dozing might prove fatal for both him and her if this did end up in a firefight.

"Wir sind einigen Leuten begegne. " she explained when Schenker was awake. "Die Amerikaner haben sich mit ihnen unterhalten. Wir sind wieder auf der Überwinterung." Her German was almost as good as her Engish. Unfortunately though her Polish was absolutely shit. She could just about make out dzień dobry but the rest of Lizzie's opening gambit was lost on Astrid.

With a shrug the Norwegian woman reached for her SVU, resting the barrel on the side of the BTR, taking care not to point it directly at any of the group that they had encountered as she looked around, watching the area around the wagon, trying to see if she could spot anyone trying to stay out of sight. Somewhere behind her in the APC she could hear the goat bleating. "Hey, Johansen, you know if that thing shits in here it's the driver's job to clean it up, ja?" Ja was common to German and Norwegian. A random thought crossed the former athlete's mind. "Johansen. You know that's a Scandinavian name?" There had been a guy called Johansen on the Norwegian ski jump team at Albertville. "You got any Norwegian blood?"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
We've ran into some people
The Americans have gone to talk to them. We're on overwatch again


Max Schenker
 NPC, 23 posts
 OR-7, KSK
 Demolitions
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 15:33
Re: Prologue: First Move
Astrid Sorensen:
"Wir sind einigen Leuten begegne. " she explained when Schenker was awake. "Die Amerikaner haben sich mit ihnen unterhalten. Wir sind wieder auf der Überwinterung." Her German was almost as good as her Engish. Unfortunately though her Polish was absolutely shit. She could just about make out dzień dobry but the rest of Lizzie's opening gambit was lost on Astrid.


"OK," Max responds, still a bit groggy. Usually, he can complete the transition from fast asleep to full wakefulness instantaneously- a trick of the trade for most commando types- but not this morning. He reckons this has something to do with blood loss from his still-painful calf wound.

He rises to a crouch and duck walks forward to the SG-43. From there he studies the motely crew around the wagon (after checking the flanks, of course).

-
Randy Johansen
 NPC, 18 posts
 E-4, USAF (DIA)
 Tagalong
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 15:40
Re: Prologue: First Move
Astrid Sorensen:
With a shrug the Norwegian woman reached for her SVU, resting the barrel on the side of the BTR, taking care not to point it directly at any of the group that they had encountered as she looked around, watching the area around the wagon, trying to see if she could spot anyone trying to stay out of sight. Somewhere behind her in the APC she could hear the goat bleating. "Hey, Johansen, you know if that thing shits in here it's the driver's job to clean it up, ja?" Ja was common to German and Norwegian. A random thought crossed the former athlete's mind. "Johansen. You know that's a Scandinavian name?" There had been a guy called Johansen on the Norwegian ski jump team at Albertville. "You got any Norwegian blood?"


"Yeah, no, uh, Johansen's my stepdad's name." Randy replies, neglecting to explain that his biological father was an abusive asshole and that Randy had insisted on legally taking his adoptive dad's surname when his mom remarried. He doesn't like to remember his 'real' last name (Stepney).

He stays behind the wheel. He'd clean up the goat's droppings if he had to but he wasn't about to deprive the team of a fast getaway to give the animal a potty break.

-

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Sat 11 Nov 2017.

Will Corden
 player, 81 posts
 USMC (DIA)
 Point Man/Grenadier
Sun 12 Nov 2017
at 18:04
Re: Prologue: First Move
Will tried to play off his Lizzie's whistling as if he had no idea what she was talking about.  In reality, standing midnight watch at Post One of the United States Embassy in Warszawa, Polska had been exercise in surviving crippling boredom.... at least to a 0321.  So of course Internet surfing happened.  There were only so many times you could toss some random Political Officer's AO for unsecured classified before more stimulus was needed.  Enter the nascent Internet, which some crafty DET Commander hard argued was essential for Post One.  Or perhaps the IMO had just taken sympathy on the watch-standers.  Either way when Will had arrived in Warsaw, The Box had already been wired.  Of course Corden had seen the referenced video, though his feigned ignorance at least lasted until Kane had given voice to the idea of a match up.

"They also serve who lack melanin and date Marines, Commander," Corden said with a shrug.  Deep inside though, there was a mix of excitement and intrigue though.  Ahead was likely the blondest and most fair skinned Polish women in the entire country.  Summiting that would be like beating your DI to the top of Mount Motherfucker with a full ruck as a week-one boot Marine.  Polska had thrown down the gauntlet and Will Corden would answer.
Ana Kovac
 player, 91 posts
 DSS Special Agent
 Blunt Implement
Sun 19 Nov 2017
at 02:11
Re: Prologue: First Move
"Dating Marines is overrated," Ana snarks at Will, waggling an unburdened ring finger.  "Be nice and I'll tell her you're Coast Guard."  She safes her AK and clips it to the wall of the passenger compartment before dismounting at Lizzie's side.  At this range, appearing relatively peaceful doesn't actually cost her anything in lethality.  Not that it looks like she's about to get press-ganged into the sideshow...
Raellus
 GM, 146 posts
 Sage
 Storyteller/Arbiter
Tue 21 Nov 2017
at 00:34
Re: Prologue: First Move

As the dismounts approach the travelers, it becomes apparent that the albino "woman" is actually a long-haired male- a Polish Edgar Winter, if you will.

"Dzień dobry! Kawa, mówisz? To był wiek! Chętnie do Ciebie dołączymy. Przyprowadź przyjaciół!"

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
"Good morning! Coffee, you say? It's been ages! We'd be happy for you to join us. Bring your friends!"


The carny's- for essentially that is what they turn out to be- are unusually friendly. This, of course, is immediately suspicious. The Orion's sharp eyes don't detect any weapons, however, save for a couple of swords that appear more theatrical than practical, and of the four performers, only one- the giant- presents any obvious physical threat. After a few minutes of small talk, it becomes apparent that the carny's borderline obsequiousness is more likely a survival tactic than any kind of perfidy. These particular Poles "kill" potential threats with kindness, apparently.

The two parties sit in the unruly grass by the side of the road, breaking the fast with a combination of Orion's coffee and some fresh eggs provided by the performers. The albino- Barnim, he calls himself- is a magician. The "average" man- Gerard- turns out to be anything but. Not visible in the dusky distance the framed the initial encounter were his multiple facial piercings. His main forte, he proudly shares, is sword swallowing, although he also dabbles in swinging surprisingly heavy objects from his piercings, including one in his nether regions. The dwarf- Dario- is a jester of sorts, although he doesn't seem particularly jovial this morning. Finally- no surprise- the giant (he's pushing seven feet and probably weighs north of 300 pounds) is a strongman. His name is Olgierd.

"Kierujemy się do Dziemiany, aby występować tam dla waszych towarzyszy. Dario ciągle zasypiał przy wodze, więc postanowiliśmy zatrzymać się na resztę nocy."

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
"We're headed for Dziemiany, to perform for your comrades there. Dario kept falling asleep at the reins, so we decided to stop for the rest of the night."


https://drive.google.com/open?...K42w&usp=sharing

Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:36, Tue 21 Nov 2017.

Lizzie Kane
 player, 137 posts
 USN LCDR (DIA)
 Team Leader
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 15:42
Re: Prologue: First Move
Good god, these jokes practically tell themselves.  Lizzie wants to spend at least ten minutes making albino jokes at Will.  Things about service and being serviced.  She is, at least in this moment, too professional to take direct shots.  That's what Ana's for.  Well, that and beating things to death with a baseball bat.

"Tak blisko, ale jak dotąd, co?"  Lizzie says, taking a sip from a battered aluminum mug of uncertain origin.  "Jednak lepiej teraz zatrzymać się, niż wpaść w jakiegoś biednego chłopa pozbawionego snu z automatyczną bronią tak zmęczoną jak ty."  Casual disdain slips into her voice, natural for a KGB agent.  She smiles, letting everyone know that she doesn't consider the carnies part of that inferior breed.  "I masz kawę, którą musieli rozstać niektórzy biedni dupki z Nato."  At that, she does make eyes at Will.  That's us, poor Nato assholes.

She doesn't let her interest in the "comrades in Dziemiany" show.  Orion's cover should know they are there.  That intel right there has been worth the price of admission to this show.  A mental note is made to turn north prior to arrival in the city in order to avoid the next round of potential (scratch that, probable) complications.  Easy enough anyway, these folks are charming and it's easy to get lost in the show the performers are putting on.  Everyone here is putting on a show for survival, it seems.

"To mocny kawałek sprzętu," Lizzie says with a half grin and a lingering gaze at Gerard's crotch that leaves no doubt of which piece of hardware she's referring to. "Po tym, jak potrząśniesz nim w Dziemianach, dokąd pójdziesz?"  The sense of being impressed dances in her eyes.  Flattery, flirting, and bribery.  Just another day in the DIA.  Such is the price of information.




Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
So close, yet so far, eh?  Still, better to stop now than stumble into some sleep deprived peasant with an automatic weapon as tired as you.

And you get some coffee some poor Nato assholes had to part with.

That's a powerful piece of hardware.  After you shake it in Dziemiany, where will you go?


Will Corden
 player, 82 posts
 USMC (DIA)
 Point Man/Grenadier
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 16:13
Re: Prologue: First Move
"I've still got dibs," Corden whispered as their vehicle approached and it became clear that the albino was a dude.  He suppressed his first instinct to quote an Aerosmith lyric, but instead added, "I'm open to horse-trading them away, but bid high ladies.  I spent six months on the Boxer with three thousand horny Fleet Marines and Sailors and you know what they say - it's not gay if you're underway."

As Lizzie started chatting up the locals, Will did his best Ludowe Wojsko Polskie Kapral impression.  Which consisted mostly of mouth breathing and showing very little initiative - hallmarks of the Soviet and Warsaw Pact junior NCO corps.  He did react when Lizzie mentioned coffee, nodding once.  "Kawa, tak," he said, before moving to the BTR to search the stores for something to offer the assembled group.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:16, Wed 22 Nov 2017.

Astrid Sorensen
 player, 128 posts
 Former Olympian
 Sniper
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 17:16
Re: Prologue: First Move
When she got the message to double back and cover their rear Astrid offered Schenker a quick fist bump then clambered down from the BTR and moved back down the track, the APC and the travellers' wagon both disappearing out of sight as she rounded the bend. Her rifle in her hands, she studied the roadside as she moved, trying to locate a good spot in the grass where she could lay up and watch the track

Once she'd picked out a spot the Norwegian sniper went to ground, feeling the coldness of the earth through her clothes as she went prone on her belly and deployed her SVU's bipod. Once she was sure that she had concealed herself as best as she could she reached for her radio, broke squelch once to let the rest of the team know that she was in position, then settled down to watch for any signs that might indicate that a Polish or Soviet patrol were coming the same way that the Orion team had just travelled. If any coffee did turn out to be on the go hopefully someone would save her a cup.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Wed 22 Nov 2017.

Ana Kovac
 player, 92 posts
 DSS Special Agent
 Blunt Implement
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 22:24
Re: Prologue: First Move
"You're really pushing the limits of 'Semper Paratus,'" Ana whispers back.  "Are you sure you're not a Coastie?"  Then it's time to get her game face - and her own State Security persona - on.

She takes a seat in the grass between Olgierd and Dario and shrugs off her plate carrier before digging into breakfast.  "Cieszę się, że minstrele powracają," she grins at the giant.  "Miałem już dość tych samych sześciu bootlegowych kaset brytyjskiego punk rocka.  Czy miałeś jakieś problemy na drodze?"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
I'm glad to see show business making a comeback.  I was getting tired of the same six bootleg cassettes of British punk rock.  Have you had any trouble on the road?

Raellus
 GM, 147 posts
 Sage
 Storyteller/Arbiter
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 18:45
Re: Prologue: First Move

Gerard laughs and blushes a bit. He sips at his coffee to hide his involuntary reaction. "Nie za dużo, drogi między garnizonami są zwykle dość bezpieczne, po Dziemianach prawdopodobnie podejdziemy do garnizonu w Kościerzynie, może do Gyndii czy Malborka, ludzie nas tutaj znają, ale przypuszczam, że może to przeciąć w obie strony. Nasz pokaz działa z powodu nowości, wiesz? Kuszące jest próbowanie zanurzania linii w nieukończonych wodach, ale jednocześnie może to być niebezpieczne - diabeł, którego znasz i wszystko, prawda?"

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
"Not too much. The roads between garrisons are usually pretty safe. After Dziemiany, we'll probably head up to the garrison in Koscierzyna, then maybe Gyndia or Malbork. People know us up here, but I suppose that can cut both ways. Our show works because of novelty, you know? It's tempting to try dipping a line in unfished waters but, at the same time, that could be dangerous- the devil you know and all, right?"


Astrid checks the unit's back trail and sees no evidence of a trap, or pursuit. The wood is quiet, the air cold and redolent with the scent of fresh pine.


Your Turn.

-
Max Schenker
 NPC, 24 posts
 OR-7, KSK
 Demolitions
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 18:50
Re: Prologue: First Move

After Astrid debarks, Max takes a few moments to change his socks. The right one is heavy and stained red with blood. With a wet slap, he hangs it over the side of the BTR's troop compartment to dry and painfully pulls on the new pair. The wound isn't bleeding through the bandage, but it's throbbing something dreadful. He's still got full range of motion, but he's concerned about the long-term effects of the loss of a chunk of calf muscle. He never got a good look at the wound and Ana didn't tell him much. Perhaps it is for the best that he doesn't know.

It only takes him a minute or two. When he's done, he settles in behind the SG-42 and keeps watch forward.

-

This message was last edited by the player at 00:44, Sun 26 Nov 2017.

Lizzie Kane
 player, 145 posts
 USN LCDR (DIA)
 Team Leader
Tue 28 Nov 2017
at 15:40
Re: Prologue: First Move
Lizzie nods, making a show of considering the wisdom of Gerard's words.  The mug passes back and forth between her hands, giving off steam and warmth.  Stiffness from the chill dissipates and her fingers can flex again at little more easily.  The moment in this camp is novel enough that she can almost forget the bloodletting that occurred not twelve hours ago.

The performers are odd, she has to concede, but charming in their own way.  Maybe there is some opportunity here.  And these folks aren't any less fucked up that we are.  They'd make handy guides if nothing else.  And steer Orion around trouble.

"Cóż, może możemy sobie nawzajem pomóc. Nie chcę być zbyt pochopny, ale podróżujemy w tym samym ogólnym kierunku. Liczby nigdy nie boli dla bezpieczeństwa, nawet w 'bezpiecznych' obszarach," Lizzie's voice turns sardonic at the idea of safety, given what Orion really represents in these parts.  "Jestem pewien, że możemy wymyślić kilka pomysłów na odświeżenie twoich procedur, jeśli chcesz. Mamy strzelca wyborowego, rzucającego nożem i mój zwycięski uśmiech."  At that, the naval officer tosses her hair back a little and turns on her thousand watt smile, letting her eyes dance a little bit with promise.

The lights fade as she sips again from her cooling mug. "Oczywiście istnieje ryzyko połączenia się. Dla nas obojga."  Have to call it what it is here in this delicate negotiation.  If the three ring circus sideshow accepts, it's not going to take them long to figure out that Orion isn't all Polish speaking, Russians.  They're going to need to tighten up a backstory that includes Germans.  Not all that unusual in these parts.  But there will be scrutiny.  All that might be worth while if they can move in the open, though.




Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Well, maybe we can help each other out.  I don't want to be too forward, but we are traveling in the same general direction.  Numbers never hurt for safety, even in 'secure' areas.

I'm sure we can come up with some ideas to freshen up your routines, should you wish.  We've got a sharpshooter, a knife thrower, and my winning smile.

Of course, it is a risk to team up.  For both of us.


Astrid Sorensen
 player, 136 posts
 Former Olympian
 Sniper
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 10:56
Re: Prologue: First Move
Astrid lifted her head away from her rifle's rubberised scope, opting instead to use her naked eye to watch the track. The wood seemed quiet enough, but the Norwegian was still tense, her senses heightened, her right index finger never straying more than fractions of an inch from the SVU's trigger guard.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:59, Fri 01 Dec 2017.

Raellus
 GM, 148 posts
 Sage
 Storyteller/Arbiter
Sat 2 Dec 2017
at 19:52
Re: Prologue: First Move

The albino's pale eyebrows raise and lower, almost twitch- like, belying his surprise. He exchanges a brief, knowing glance with the geek and the dwarf, before replying.

"We'd welcome the company but we don't move very fast. I fear we'd slow you down too much." he tilts his head towards the parked BTR-40. "And- please bear in mind that I'm no capitalist- you must realize that more performers means less income... for all of us.". It's not a no, per se, but the freaks are clearly a little uncomfortable with the idea of sharing the road with a group of soldiers who are looking more like deserters- or worse- with every passing minute.


Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:54, Sat 02 Dec 2017.

Lizzie Kane
 player, 147 posts
 USN LCDR (DIA)
 Team Leader
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 02:55
Re: Prologue: First Move
"We can earn our keep," Lizzie says evenly, keeping the conversation in Polish. "And we're flexible on speed."  A couple of head bobs emerge to acknowledge the fact that her request is unusual and quite possibly dangerous.  For a group of civilians that essentially exist on the goodwill of others who could overpower them at will, she is proposing an arrangement that could easily undo all of their old work.  If she was sitting in their shoes, Lizzie knows she would be trying to tease out what Orion's motives were, who they were, and what they represented.  All the stories she'd be coming up with would be bad.  Her voice goes into business mode.  "We're not interested in your earnings, we're interested in safe passage.  My guess is you're really good at that."

Lizzie's free hand goes into her LBV fishing around for a moment or two before emerging in a closed fist.  She flips the object she recovered towards their pale acquaintance, watching as he catches it by reflex.  Watches as his eyes take in a single gold coin.

"We'll make it worth your while," she says, brightness returning to her voice.  "One way or the other. And if you want to say 'no,' well, we can live with that, too."  There's no threat of violence.  She's not going to order her team to exterminate these people.  That, too, is a risk, but one she's prepared to take.
Ana Kovac
 player, 95 posts
 DSS Special Agent
 Blunt Implement
Tue 26 Dec 2017
at 14:08
Re: Prologue: First Move
Ana continues her banter with the mismatched Dario and Olgierd but keeps one ear attuned to Lizzie's negotiations.  She relaxes minutely when the tone in her friend's voice holds no warning or coercion.  This isn't going to be the kind of barter that ends in a gunshot, and that's a welcome change from the way things have been going lately.  Besides, she really doesn't want to bring harm to the first bit of luxury she's seen in a year that doesn't involve the exchange of precious metal, alcohol, and unsafe sex in some combination.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:08, Tue 26 Dec 2017.

Will Corden
 player, 84 posts
 USMC (DIA)
 Point Man/Grenadier
Sat 30 Dec 2017
at 09:33
Re: Prologue: First Move
Will pulls off a few grenades from his LBE and begins juggling them, in an attempt to emphasis the Kane's point that they can earn their keep.  The attempt however does not go well.

10:32, Today: Will Corden rolled 19 using 1d20.  Grenade Juggling.

Astrid Sorensen
 player, 137 posts
 Former Olympian
 Sniper
Sat 30 Dec 2017
at 09:51
Re: Prologue: First Move
Astrid continues to use her naked eye to observe the trail that they have just come along, keeping a watch for any potential threats. Or deer, or any other game animals.
Raellus
 GM, 149 posts
 Sage
 Storyteller/Arbiter
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 03:21
Re: Prologue: First Move

Will's juggling act almost ends in disaster. As one of the olive drab orbs approaches its apogee, he realizes that it's slightly off course. He grabs at it but only manages to catch the pin. The snatch, the fall, and the weight of the grenade all conspire to pull the pin half-way out of its cradle. Those with a good view of the debacle cringe or scramble, leaving the Marine shooter with a live grenade dangling by not-fully-inserted pin looped around his finger. The breakfast meeting is nearly ends in bang, literally. Will carefully reinserts the pin and bends its end to prevent a similar mishap.

Nervous laughter breaks the tension. Small talk, mostly good-natured ribbing, ensues. The Albino is first to return the topic of conversation to the business at hand.

"Look. You seem like decent enough folks." he pauses, working up the nerve to continue. "If you're not with the local garrisons, then you must be... uh, freelancers. You must know how freelancers are dealt with around here." Another pause, this one to allow the subtle implications sink in. "If you want to join our troop, you're going to have to leave all of that," he waves a long, pale finger at the BTR and his guests' weaponry, "...behind. If the soldiers were ever to find any of that stuff in our wagon, you, us, we'd all pay for it. Or, we can go ahead and put in a good word for you, see if there's an amnesty-  negotiate some sort of return to the fold or safe passage or something." He cocks his head, letting the offer linger like the frayed end of a thin lifeline.

The geek's expression reveals that the albino is doing a bit of freelancing of his own with the offer. The dwarf doesn't look too pleased either; the giant, however, appears nonplussed.

Astrid lurks beside the forest track, concealed in the deep shadows that still linger beneath the trees. Suddenly, a man on a bicycle pedals down the dirt road into view. As he draws closer, she notes that he is in uniform- Polish raindrop pattern cammies, soft cap instead of a helmet; his rifle is slung across his back. He looks young, maybe still in his teens, and he seems strangely oblivious. His eyes are cast down on the road a few meters in front of him. In fact, he appears to be... smiling. [he's about 40m away and closing]


Your Turn.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:33, Fri 02 Feb 2018.