Outside the South Gate.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 22 posts
Sun 28 May 2017
at 15:08
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 41):


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
10:58, Today: Bvlaralvb rolled 11 using 1d20+4.  Initiative.



Ooh, that's beautiful.  And the sting of a slap in the face arouses me.  See what I did there?  You clever fellow, you.  'T seems the others are less obliged to this sort of play.


Bvlaralvbina S.J.G. Hemo? jumps to his feet and reaches for her rapier.  He jumps around on both feet in circles, as a paranoid animal in the wilderness might.

Time for some fun, fellas!  Let's show each other what we're made of!
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 38 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 18:15
Outside the South Gate
"What in the nine hells were those things?  Is it going to be like that every night?  Cuz I'll be the first one to tell you I'd rather stay at an inn.

Baddywhick finds his bedroll among the scattered twigs and sticks and flops down unceremoniously.  "Ugh.  I need a medic and then I need some proper sleep.  These past few hours just haven't done it for me.

Are any of you opposed to the idea of trying to "stick" it out here and get a full night/day's sleep?  I'll be no good to any of you without a full rest."


He turns and looks at the Derro and the..."Kaine."  "Besides, you two like traveling at night anyway.  Maybe it will help us NOT get jumped by twigs and sticks that want to kill us."
Xalwin
 Dom, 33 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 18:58
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Baddywhick Bumperstash (msg # 48):

Xalwin is acting more curmudgeonly than usual as he grumbles around the camp, stamping on twigs and tossing them into the fire as he curses under his breath. His ears perk up at Baddywhick's request for a medic. The old wizard trots over and takes a seat beside his young companion.

"You fought well and with powers that are strange to me, young master watchman." Handing him a small vial, "Drink this as quickly as you can, it will restore you. Tell me, what manner of magic do you employ?"

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Xalwin gives Baddywhick his previously cast Healing Elixir. If he drinks it, Baddywhick regains 6HP (Xalwin rolled 6 using 2d4+2).

Kaine
 Jonny, 16 posts
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 22:28
Outside the South Gate
Kaine turns to Baddywhick with a nod.
An interesting proposition. I do not mind a delay if you need to rest now.  I will say that in general I think the thought has promise. Traveling by night can be beneficial. I can do much more to keep us safe when not weakened by the sun. And perhaps the night is a more dangerous time, but I personally would rather be awake and aware when trouble is likely.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:28, Wed 07 June 2017.

Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 39 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Thu 8 Jun 2017
at 12:27
Outside the South Gate
Baddywhick mumbles to himself, "Twigmeister, yes that's it.  He looks up and notices Xalwin approaching with a small vial and watches him sit down next on the bedroll at his side.  He hastily tucks a small book back into his pocket.

He takes the vial and squints at it in the approaching dawn.  "So drink this and i'll feel better?  I can do that.  Much better than bandages and stinging poultices."  Baddywhick upends the vial in his mouth and is immediately accosted by a warmth spreading throughout his entire body.  The gash in his side and on his cheek close in an instant and heal up without leaving a scar.  "Not bad.  Not bad at all.  That's some good shit right there.  Tastes like strawberries!"

Baddywhick leans back on his elbows and looks off into the distance, letting out a deep sigh.  "Magic.  Now that's a fancy word.  What you do is magic.  What I do is...different.  It's all in my head.  And sometimes, it can be in yours too."

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Baddywhick uses Psionic Talent - Delusion to plant the image of a electric blue butterfly winging through the camp and landing on his finger in Xalwin's mind
He holds up his finger with the invisible butterfly that only Xalwin can see.  "See that?  It's not really there.  You think it is, but it's not.  For some reason, I've been blessed, or cursed, with the powers of a psion.  They aren't very common.  You don't find us many places.  We're a cloistered lot.  I've only ever met two.  One is crazier than a bag of bats like that one," Baddywhick points at Bvlaralvb, "and the other was my mentor.  He's missing.  I haven't seen him for almost a week.  No one knows where he is.  I was hoping to find him and finish my training.  He was teaching me how to reach out with my mind and affect the world around me."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:34, Thu 08 June 2017.

Xalwin
 Dom, 34 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 04:30
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Baddywhick Bumperstash (msg # 51):

A light of understanding comes into Xalwin's eyes, "Why... that's quite a remarkable talent! Oh umm, you're quite welcome m'boy. Anytime. There are but a few tomes in my library that mention Psions and none that describe in detail what I have now seen with my own eyes. Nonetheless, I am sure I could assist you in locating the information you seek even if it means paying a visit to Blackstaff Vajra herself! Now, I am no Psion but what I DO know is that to hone the mind, any mind, requires meditation. Diviners have been using meditation for millennia to quiet their thoughts so that they might better hear their Gods and grow their own power. I see no reason why the same practice would not benefit one such as yourself!"

With that, the old wizard places the empty vial in his left hand and curls his fingers around it. He mutters an incantation and reveals that the vial is once again filled with the same elixir as before.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Xalwin casts Healing Elixir.

Pocketing the precious liquid, Xalwin catches Bvlaralvb's eye and shouts to her, "Good work, Derro! I did not expect you to aid us and am glad to have been mistaken. Perhaps there IS more to you than meets the eye after all! You've proven to be a worthy ally in a scrap. Turning to Kaine, "And a job well done to you as well, sir! Traveling by night is never my first choice but if you think it will help us along, I'm not opposed to it. Though I must be honest and mean no disrespect, it would put my mind at ease were a daywalker to accompany you on your shift."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:45, Fri 09 June 2017.

Kaine
 Jonny, 17 posts
Sun 11 Jun 2017
at 21:09
Outside the South Gate
Kaine turns Xalwin.
I think it would indeed.  You are always welcome to join me on my shift. However I do not believe we are too far out from our destination.  Perhaps something to keep in mind on the next leg of our journey.

Kaine turns to the newly rejuvenated Baddywhack.
Did that elixir do the trick? Shall we continue on our way or need you rest further?
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 40 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 13:07
Outside the South Gate
Baddywhick looks up at Kaine, "I feel better, that is for sure."  He places his hand on his chin and thinks for a moment.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
09:02, Today: Baddywhick Bumperstash rolled 17 using 1d20+1.  Survival check to determine how far we traveled on day 1 out of Waterdeep.

"Oakhurst is supposed to be 60 miles from Waterdeep.  I believe we've managed to travel about 24 miles so far.  By my estimation, if we continue at this pace, it's going to take us another full day and a half of travel to reach it.

Now I feel better, that is for sure.  That strawberry stuff definitely did the trick.  But I am still exhausted from using my powers like that.  I can make it to camp later tonight, but I am not going to be as much assistance if we are accosted like that on the road."

Kaine
 Jonny, 18 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 14:35
Outside the South Gate
Kaine turns to Baddywhack. The party could swear there were scratches on his face when this conversation began, but all seems to have cleared up.

I would not be to concerned.  You did well in this battle.  We are not too far out of town and I do not think we can expect a ton of trouble on a well traveled road with our numbers.  But should any arise you can rest assure you will find myself between it and you.
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 41 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 15:16
Outside the South Gate
Baddywhick jumps up, "Well then what are we waiting for?  Let's get back to moving.  The sun's already up."

A loud rumble can be heard, coming from Baddywhick's stomach.

"Well, we can get on the road after I eat, anyway..."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 54 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 00:31
Outside the South Gate
The sun rose higher into the sky and tucked itself beneath a blanket of rain clouds. You all hear the pitter-patter of light rain against the leafy foliage.

You come to a fork in the road where one sign points inland and away from the water to Oakhurst, while the other arrow points further down the road on which you travel to Daggerford.

About one mile in the distance, behind a rolling hill of lush farmland, whispy trails of smoke rise from the nearby village.
Xalwin
 Dom, 35 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 04:09
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 57):

Pointing toward Oakhurst, "Our destination lies that way, I'll call Vera and have her scout a bit ahead. How should we carry ourselves once we approach the outskirts? We're a rather conspicuous lot even for Faerūnians, should we wear it proudly or make an honest attempt at guile?"

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Xalwin casts Find Familiar as a ritual.

Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 42 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 17:30
Outside the South Gate
"Well, I've never been one for lurking around.  Although I suspect I will be tasked with finding those who do.  Although, we will have some trouble being inconspicuous in broad daylight.  Let the bird scout about and if it finds something, it'll let you know."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:31, Thu 06 July 2017.

Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 25 posts
Mon 10 Jul 2017
at 23:33
Outside the South Gate
After multiple exchanges amongst party members (including some directed at Bvlaralvbina), the group realizes the derro's conspicuous absence.  After a brief pause of recognition, Bvlaralvb emerges from within some thick brush and, looking flush (if the pallor of a derro's skin can be described with such a word), begins picking out leaf-laden twigs from its hair and using the end of each stick as a toothpick.  She - he? - begins picking a wedgie and adjusting her, its, - oh bother - garments, as if to return them to a "normal" presentation, when of course normal for this cat seems to put "ridiculous" to shame.

Arh- errr...  noticing the awkward silence and stares...

in moments such as these, me spunk-originators always deemed honesty the best policy.  Although, maybe had they not I mightn't've been as "touched," as they say.  Like in the head.  Not the genitals.  Oh, why bother arguing against one's own brain?  You know what I mean because I am I and I know what I mean, just as I know what you mean when you question the me that is I and you.  Mmm, perhaps another go again?  All this self-talk craze is beginning to make me feel a wee bit frisky!

With a flurry of flare and a bow, as if preparing for some wild oratory or accepting accolades for a performance well-loved (it's hard to tell which), Bvlaralvbina Samson-Jones-Googleplex Hemoglisternima-o? begins its speech:

Pardon, but I was merely taking a moment to fiddledangle me crumblebubbinses.  After all, a good battle always gets my broth boiling.  You know as they say, whet the willy's whistle, finagle the flintbuster, as it were.  Anyway, Xalwin, my beauty!  Thank you for noticing my ever-so-mesmerizing defensive moves of whimsy.  They are indeed an asset to any kerfuffle!  And was there talk of moving along or staying the night?  It seems time has escapen me, and the choice no longer applies.  However, I am inclined to agree with Kaine - I thoroughly enjoy a mid night's stroll through suspense-inhabited forests - oh, the intrigue!  I will defend our honor... and physical persons... and belongings to the DEATH if need be!  So, no need to be further held up on my account!  Off we go! 

And with that, the derro begins whistling some form of fantastical Dixie and skipping along the awaiting path.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 55 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Sat 22 Jul 2017
at 00:23
Outside the South Gate
The trek to Oakhurst goes without interruption. A sign nailed to a tree indicates that you are on the New Road. The din of hammering blacksmiths and commerce grows louder as you continue along the road. You have reached Oakhurst.



Reminder from the DM:Since it's been so long since this has moved much, remember that you are here to find out more about the apple with healing properties.
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 26 posts
Sun 23 Jul 2017
at 16:34
Outside the South Gate
Anyone fancy a drink?  There's ne'er been a better place in all the realm to meet local folk and gather intel of a secretive sort.

Samson begins meandering toward the Ol' Boar Inn.
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 43 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Wed 26 Jul 2017
at 22:19
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 62):

Baddywhick takes in a deep breath as he passes into the village proper, noticing the smell of wood smoke and the stink of people living together in one place with it's myriad of different, yet distinct, odors.

"Ah, good to be back among some semblance of civilization again.  And yes, Bvlaralvb, I think a nice stiff drink in in order.  To celebrate, yes?  And perhaps I can find something out about my teacher while we are here."

Baddywhick follows along towards the Ol' Boar Inn.
Xalwin
 Dom, 37 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 02:26
Outside the South Gate
Stroking his long beard while considering his last night at a tavern...
"You younger folk go on, I think I'd best pay a visit to the healer and inquire about the, AHEM... midsummer apple. If nothing turns up there I'll make my way around to the other establishments and rendezvous with you at the Inn no later than sundown. Oh and if you should encounter any goblins, please send someone to fetch me. I would very much like to speak with them on this matter."

Xalwin dismounts with a grunt, tips his pointy hat toward his party members and leads his donkey down the main thoroughfare.  He finds a water trough outside the Healer's house and ties the reins to a nearby post. After a few minutes of stretching and checking his gear, Xalwin summons Vera and walks inside with her perched on his shoulder.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 57 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 18:25
Outside the South Gate
The wind whispers, "Kaaaaaaine".
Kaine
 Jonny, 19 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 16:03
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 65):

Kaine peers down the road into town, spotting the Old Boar INN down the way and points yonder.

That looks like a decent place to procure some drink and perhaps gather some info.  Why dont you go secure a table, and perhaps some rooms.  I will join you there shortly.  There is something i must attend to. Here, this should get you started.

Kaine hands 5gp to Baddywhack and begins to migrate off the road just outside of town.
Kaine
 Jonny, 20 posts
Tue 29 Aug 2017
at 13:59
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Kaine (msg # 66):

Kaine makes his way off the road looking for an area in the trees out of view. He ties his mule to a tree leaving very little slack.  He looks and listens to make sure noone is nearby.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Kaine rolled 23 using 1d20+4. Perception to see that he is alone.

Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 45 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 13:31
Outside the South Gate
Baddywhick takes the 5gp proffered from Kaine and nods.  To Xalwin:  "Yes, you go check with the healer and see what you can learn of the apple, I will inquire within the inn for the same."

To Bvlaralvb: "Shaw we, my simple Derro friend?  I believe it's just the two of us.  And after a time on the road and such a long rest, I believe I could use a good drink."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 60 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 17:19
Outside the South Gate





You all do what you said you were going to do.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:20, Thu 31 Aug 2017.

Kaine
 Jonny, 21 posts
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 17:54
Outside the South Gate
Kaine, confident he is alone, pulls the leash on the mule tight and bites into it drinking some of the mules blood. He unbuckles the pack from the mule and sets it off to the side. Pulling the waterskin from the pack he rinses the fur cleaning whatever spilt blood he can.

He then hoists the pack onto his should, unties the mule, and leads it back toward town on foot.
Kaine
 Jonny, 22 posts
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 17:55
Outside the South Gate
Kaine travels toward the Old Boar Inn looking for stables.