Outside the South Gate.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 30 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Wed 17 May 2017
at 22:06
Outside the South Gate
You exit through the southern gates of Waterdeep and onto Trade Way. A wide road, well-trodden by the comings and goings of commerce, stretches far into the distance. To the west, the Sea of Swords crashes against the coast, while to the east, the tall green grass of midsummer stretches far beyond where your eyes can see.
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 18 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Thu 18 May 2017
at 13:19
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 1):

Baddywhick arrives at the gate just following sunrise.  Too many years of training have required him to show up early that now he has no choice but to be on time for any appointment.  In fact, if he's not 10 minutes early, he's late as far as he's concerned.

He jumps off his pony and walks through the gates proper.  Nodding to the members of the watch that patrol the crenellations atop the wall and those who stand inside and outside the gates of the greatest city in all of Faerun.

Reminding himself again, for the dozenth time, that this is the first time he's stepped foot outside of Waterdeep.  What awaits him?  Hopefully not too much to make him late for his first day of work.
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 19 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Thu 18 May 2017
at 23:53
Outside the South Gate
Realizing he's in for a wait, and hearing his stomach audibly growl, Baddywhick walks his pony south along the wall looking for some food seller.

"Where is everyone?  I mean, I know I am early, but it's almost 1 hour past sunrise.  Does no else one rise with the sun?  Although I'd think that dark skinned one is probably up past his bedtime at this hour.

Hmmm...maybe if I go this way I can find some breakfast.  Someone has to be making meat pies or baking bread or something.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Thu 18 May 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 33 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Fri 19 May 2017
at 00:33
Outside the South Gate
A tumbleweed rolls by...

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:35, Fri 19 May 2017.

Kaine
 Jonny, 9 posts
Fri 19 May 2017
at 05:12
Outside the South Gate
A mule approaches the south gate, on it a rider sits fully engulfed in a black cloak. The hood of the cloak is pulled over his head which hangs down, his face invisible beneath it.  The reigns dissappear within the sleeves of the cloak which extend beyond his hands. The mule slowely approaches Baddywhack and he hears the strange accent familiar from the night before in the bar.


Greetings.  My apologies on being late, I am not usually awake at this hour.  Typically I slumber during the day and perform my activities at night.  The sun... it has an adverse effect on me.  A part of my condition.

You see the hood shift from side to side.

Any sign of the others?
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 20 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Fri 19 May 2017
at 12:23
Outside the South Gate
Staring up at the cloaked and hooded figure from the back of his pony, Baddywhick tries looking into the darkness to find a face.

"Kaine, wasn't it?  And no, no sign of the others.  I kind of expected you to be late, but that Blaskstaffer should know better.  The derro?  Who knows if it will even be here.  Heck, it could be over there lurking in the trees."

Baddywhick waves at the corpse of trees a 1/2 a mile away from the road and then turns to look at the mule and saddle bags.

"I was looking for something to eat, but it appears the food hawkers aren't out yet.  I don't supposed you have anything handy in that pack of yours, do you?"
Xalwin
 Dom, 18 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Fri 19 May 2017
at 13:41
Outside the South Gate
A donkey laden with saddlebags and a diminutive old gnome in a wide-brimmed pointy hat lumbers toward the gate. Low groans rumble under his long white beard as he tries to hide his face from the rising sun. He stops briefly to retch a few times, gathers himself and then drives his mount onward toward the group.

"Steeeady girl, steady. Your old man is a bit worse for the wear. Uhnnn, good morning all. Pardon my tardiness, that delicious and thrice-damned Thayan brandy always gets the better of me. You'd think I'd learn after almost three centuries! *cough cough, wheeze*."

Xalwin raises a small sack and fumbles around inside it for a moment and produces an apple turnover paired with a wedge of cheese wrapped in thin cloth. He regards it for a moment and then extends it toward Baddywhick.

"Take it m'boy. In my present state, I dare not make the attempt."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:45, Fri 19 May 2017.

Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 21 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Fri 19 May 2017
at 15:03
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Xalwin (msg # 7):

Baddywhick takes one look at Xalwin and is reminded of why he sticks to ale.  He takes the pastry and cheese from the pallid skinned, sickly looking gnome with small salute.

"You have my thanks.  All my food is dried field rations.  That's all they had at the barracks.  I really didn't want to take the time to start a campfire just outside the gate just to get a pot of boiling water.  Waterdhavian MRE's aren't really all that great, but the price was right!"

Looking back towards the gate.

"Is that crazy derro joining us?  If so, do we wait or just let it catch up?"
Kaine
 Jonny, 10 posts
Fri 19 May 2017
at 15:35
Outside the South Gate
I believe it sounded like the Derro would be joining us.  I will be honest, I found it a bit difficult to truly follow the conversation.  But I do think we can afford to wait a bit longer.  Enjoy your food, we will be on the road soon enough.
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 17 posts
Fri 19 May 2017
at 15:49
Outside the South Gate
Emerging from the road beyond the gate, you see Bvlaralvbina Samson-Jones-Googleplex Hemoglisternima-o? shifting from side to side.  S/he sits upon what appears to be a large hound... a mastiff, upon closer approach.  The mastiff's hair is somehow modeled into a mohawk, and the derro appears to be holding reins fashioned from some sort of braided twiggy substance.  Bvla is wearing leather armor, but what catches the eye most is the hodgepodge of stylistic choices elsewhere on his person: his face is wrapped with what appears to be an ornate chiffon material of vivacious colors with a floral pattern.  Only the pale orbs of her eyes are visible - the rest of her face has been covered in the scarf, which appears to be fastened at different points with... are those miniature manacles?  There are also bits of fur woven into the material of various colors and, likely, various creatures.  Truth be told, Bina looks like a fruggen' mess, but his spirits are quite high.

Ahoy!  Let's get shit done and have the type of adventure that adventures are made of!!!  And may I introduce to the group my noble steed, Sir Horace Emanuel Longbottom, the 3rd of his Namesake, Singular of his Kind.  Kaine, sir, I can relate to your plight - this fire that ignites the sky is quite irritable to my eyes and senses.    Samson nods in Bhaddywhick's direction and says, Bumperstash.    Then, turning to Xalwin, So, where to first?
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 22 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Fri 19 May 2017
at 17:24
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 10):

Slightly exasperated by the derro's presence, Baddywhick gives it a nod back in reference to the informal greeting.  "Derro. 'Bout time."

Looking at the rest of the group.

"Well, we've wasted enough time already today.  Let us be off.  I am already uncomfortable on this side of the walls.  I want to be sure I am back in time to start my first day with the watch in a week."

Baddywhick flicks the reins on his pony and starts south down the Trade Way as the sun continues its trek towards it's noontime zenith.  Still talking, "Now look, there's a gambling den just a ways down the road.  I don't want anyone getting any ideas..."  He makes it a point to turn and stare at Bvlaralvb, ...and by anyone, I mean you."

Baddywhick turns back to face the road and flicks the reins once more, pushing his pony into a canter. Each step the creature makes sets a new record distance from his home.

Baddywhick, what have you gotten yourself into?

This message was last edited by the player at 16:52, Sun 21 May 2017.

Xalwin
 Dom, 19 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Fri 19 May 2017
at 18:11
Outside the South Gate
One glance at Bvlaralvb sends Xalwin reeling through a fresh wave of nausea. Uh oh, I've had about enough of feeling like this.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Xalwin casts Mage Hand.

He places a clammy hand on his own forehead as a small vial filled with white pellets floats out from his pack. One for each goblet-full... The vial tips and five pellets are tapped out seemingly into midair only to hang motionless. The vial is then promptly stowed and swapped for a flask filled with water. Xalwin grasps and opens it as the pellets fall into the opening, each with a tiny *plop*. He lets the mixture fizz for a few moments as he speaks.

"Greetings, Derro. *Unghh* Right then, best be off. We make straight for the town of Oakhurst unless necessity *hurrkk* ...dictates a detour."

Xalwin upends the flask into his mouth and drains it. "*Aahhhh* Thank the Mounting Heavens for nahcolite tonic."
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 18 posts
Sat 20 May 2017
at 18:34
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Baddywhick Bumperstash (msg # 11):

Why advertise the vices and specific coordinates of a gambling den if you want it avoided?  Yeah, yeah.  You're watching me, I'm watching you, it's one big voyeuristic obsession.  Were you born on the wrong side of the bed, gnome?
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 23 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Sun 21 May 2017
at 14:26
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 13):

Baddywhick turns and looks incredulously at Bvlaralvb.  "The wrong side of the bed?  No, I've just made it my life's work to learn what makes people tick.  What motivates them?  Why do they turn to a life of crime?  What factors are the most important?

Is it socioeconomic pressures?  I've seen the wealthy as well as the poor in the darker underbelly of society.  What motivates an already wealthy man to invest himself in underground dealings?

Is it racially motivated?  Do more elves, stranded from Evermeet, get involved in the fencing of stolen goods?  Why do we see so many halflings as thieves?  Why do..."


Baddywhick trails off, realizing he's been babbling now for a few minutes.  He looks down for a moment and then back to Bvlaralvb.  With a sigh: "I just am interested in people.  I like to watch people.  Ever since I was young and developed my...talents...I've just always been interested in people.  Solving crimes was just the result of that insatiable curiosity.

Baddywhick turns back to face the road and falls silent.  He revealed far more than he had intended, to a group of strangers.  Feeling a bit of shame, and trying to hide his red face, he flicks the reigns of his pony and continues on down the road towards Oakhurst.
Xalwin
 Dom, 20 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Mon 22 May 2017
at 15:35
Outside the South Gate

While Baddywhick and Bvlaralvb are talking to eachother, Xalwin snaps out of his delirium and sits upright. Almost forgot about my trusty companion...

A thick, red leatherbound tome with pages gilt in a bluish metallic sheen, floats out of Xalwin's pack and settles in his left hand. Its clasp springs open and pages flip on their own to a beautiful rune circle not unlike the one traced on the bartop the night before. The horn of his saddle doubling as a lectern, Xalwin rests the tome upon it and places his left hand on the circle while continuing to hold the reins with his right. Too low to hear, he mutters to himself for several minutes as the circle glows.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Xalwin casts Find Familiar as a ritual.

Suddenly the circle flashes with brilliant azure light for an instant before fading, and perched on Xalwin's hand is a somewhat otherworldly owl. Good morning, my dear friend.

Addressing the group, "This is Vera, she and I have a special bond and can speak to one another without words. She is my sight in places I cannot go, and I her heart in times of peril. I do not control her utterly, mind your tongue and treat her with respect lest you sully your own reputation with the avian fey of Bytopia and their allies."

With that, Xalwin pumps his hand to the sky and the owl flies upward. She wheels twice above the group and then makes her way from tree to tree along the road, following the companions as they ride.

Do as you will, Vera, but keep an eye for danger. I've an uneasy feeling about this journey.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:46, Mon 22 May 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 34 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Mon 22 May 2017
at 17:10
Outside the South Gate
Your trek from Waterdeep to Oakhurst begins. Campfire smoke trails begin to stretch upward as the merchants who made camp off the trail wake for breakfast and their morning ablutions.

You reach a swampy section of the trail and a calm 20-foot-wide creek, a narrow vein of the Dessarin River that babbles across the trail and into the Sea of Swords.

On the other side of river, there appears to be three holes dug into the ground.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:17, Wed 24 May 2017.

Xalwin
 Dom, 21 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Mon 22 May 2017
at 17:37
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 16):

What's that? Vera, fly over and have a look, please.

Xalwin wraps the reins around his wrists and grips them tightly, his eyes glazed over completely white while he sees what she sees.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 35 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Mon 22 May 2017
at 17:41
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Xalwin (msg # 17):

Vera soars over the creek and hovers over the three holes.
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 24 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Mon 22 May 2017
at 22:18
Outside the South Gate
"Now what is this?  3 holes in the ground.  Xalwin, what does your owl see?
Xalwin
 Dom, 22 posts
 Arcane Librarian
 at Blackstaff Academy
Tue 23 May 2017
at 00:37
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Baddywhick Bumperstash (msg # 19):

"Nothing sinister, at least at first look. It looks as if trees were plucked from the very earth itself."
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 25 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Tue 23 May 2017
at 15:36
Outside the South Gate
In reply to Xalwin (msg # 20):

Sounding quite astonished.  "Plucked the trees from the very earth?  You'll have to excuse me, I'm just a city boy, but what would have the strength to pull the trees from the very earth itself?  Giants?