Enter the Tawning Yortal.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 10 posts
Thu 11 May 2017
at 23:51
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 53):

Oi, no need to get yer pantaloones in a tug'o'war with yer britches, Durnan old boy!  Hear ye, here ye- oh, my ever undying gratitude, friend! and with that, the derro offers its hand for a hardy greeting to the generous stranger with exuberant zest.

To Nizana, it states, I believe I'll doublefist and mingle a nice concocktion together down me throat.  Seems to me more people ought to open their minds, and gullets to that sort of fun.

Open the hatch & down she blows,
What's inside me, no one knows!
But that's what these drinks're made for -
To find the type of person 'tis you're.


The derro clinks both of its glasses with Nizana's, grins wider than it would seem possible on such a small face, and swirls both mystery fluids together into a stream down its gaping mouth.
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 11 posts
Thu 11 May 2017
at 23:52
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Kaine (msg # 54):

and what is your name, good lad?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 24 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Thu 11 May 2017
at 23:59
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Both Durnan and Nizana yell "Wait!" as the derro gulps the mixture of mixtures but it's too late.

Their hands drop like featherfall as they watch the derro, jaws agape, to see what will happen next.
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 12 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 00:07
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 57):

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
20:04, Today: Bvlaralvb rolled 4 using 1d20.  CON saves for drinking some funky ish.
20:03, Today: Bvlaralvb rolled 5 using 1d20.  CON saves for drinking some funky ish.


The derro's eyes begin circling in their sockets in opposite directions, although most wouldn't notice that, given the lack of common characteristics by which common folk judge such things.  A loud gurgling commences that sounds more like a brontosaurus belching in a cavern than any stomach merely rumbling.
Kaine
 Jonny, 6 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 00:16
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 56):

Turns to Bvlaralvb and reaches out his hand in greeting.

Kaine is the name, and who might you...

Leaves his hand extended unsure what to do as he watches Bvlaralvb begin to convulse.

are you ok?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 25 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Fri 12 May 2017
at 00:28
Enter the Tawning Yortal
A deep resonating burp erupts from Bvlarlvb's wide mouth. Many seconds go by and the belch shows no signs of stopping, in fact, it begins to rumble deeper and deeper. Bvlarlvb begins to sway and is taking on a chilled look as well.

The chatter around the bar ceases as the glasses hanging above the bar begin to clank against each other.

"Why did I listen to the fucking derro?" Durnan asks the sky as he literally holds down the bar.

The rumbling stops, the glasses stop clinking, and there is silence for a moment. Then Bvlarlvb's eyes widen and, unbeknownst to anyone, roll back into its head, which jerks upwards and begins to profusely hurl snow everywhere. The force from the projectile snow vomiting sends Bvlarlvb's body to the ground and now, passed out from alcohol intoxication, its body acts only as a snow machine.

A stunned Durnan watches the tavern fill with snow and ice. The magical effect from this potion's spell covers the bar interior with a winter wonderland.

Perfect snow flakes continue to fall throughout the tap room as Bvlarlvb's snow spew subsides, who now has been covered with snow in a snowman fashion.

You hear a drunken dwarf in the back corner of the bar yell, "I'm gonnnnna thspell my name in the snow, BAAAAHAHAHAH!"

Without looking, Durnan grabs a dagger from beneath the bar and throws it towards the dwarven voice.

"I'll go outside," the voice speaks once more in a higher pitch.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:29, Fri 12 May 2017.

Xalwin
 Dom, 12 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Fri 12 May 2017
at 01:17
Enter the Tawning Yortal
"Aye, Oakhurst and Goblins. Many thanks, m'lady. I'll set out in the morning if possible. If I am successful in my quest and our paths cross again, perhaps then I'll be able to afford the better of your apples." With a wink and a smile, Xalwin then turns to the young gnome.

"What say ye, Baddywhick? Shall we round up this lot and hit the saddles at sunrise?"

Startled by the sudden and unwelcome touch of Bvlaralvb's clammy hand, Xalwin's concentration is broken and the rune circle fades.

"Oi!! What do you think you're... oohhhh, that can't be healthy." Filthy creature.

As the derro continues belching snow, Xalwin pulls his robes closer and throws a hanging length of fabric from one side up and over his opposite shoulder to cover his exposed neck. He shivers a bit and then addresses Kaine.

"It seems we may have a common interest, swordsman. There are enough oddities and coincidences here tonight that I believe Mystra herself may be setting the stage. Pray tell me, would you stay your 'thirst' along our shared path if I were to assist in researching a cure for this curse you speak of? If yes, I would hear more of your story and transcribe it, with your permission of course. It could be of great value to others in Toril seeking similar answers."
Kaine
 Jonny, 7 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 11:42
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Xalwin (msg # 61):

Turns to Xalwin.

Indeed we do young magician, I am equally curious to join in such an investigation.  My tale I will tell and with it you may do what you wish. I would prepare you to curve your expectations. It is unlikely a cure will be found, if one exists at all.

Looks toward the window.

I will say I typically like to travel at night. I have an adverse reaction to the sun, a part of my condition. But For the sake of company and convention I can make exception.

Shifts his attention to the derro snowblower, then to Durnan.

Has this happened before?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 26 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Fri 12 May 2017
at 14:21
Enter the Tawning Yortal
A stunned Durnan gradually gathering snow on his shoulders stands motionless.

"No, this is the first time," he says to Kaine.

The barmaid returns to the bar with an empty tray, stepping cautiously over patches of ice.

"2 glasses of cider please," she whispers to Durnan with a smile and places a Santa hat on his head.

Durnan remains motionless for a few seconds before pouring the cider and sending the barmaid off with the tray.

Nizana shivers, rubs her shoulders, and throws the 2nd shot of grey liquid down her throat.

"Ahhh," she says with an exhale as steam rises from her head. "Warms ya right up."
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 15 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Fri 12 May 2017
at 15:55
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Baddywhick looks around the room and rolls his eyes at the accumulating snow.

What am I getting myself into?


To Xalwin:  "Yes, tomorrow at sunrise.  Why don't we meet at the south gate?  Since Oakhurst is along the roadway, we shouldn't have too much trouble locating it."

He turns back to the bar to take his stool and finds it buried in snow and ice.  Annoyed, he turns and stares at the Derrow.


Shaking his head, he brushes off the snow from his stool and sits down to finish his ale.  Looking up at Durnan, "Is it ALWAYS this strange in here?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 27 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Fri 12 May 2017
at 16:37
Enter the Tawning Yortal



Durnan, brushing snow from the bar top, looks at Baddywhick, "Honestly, we've seen way worse. Snow is nothing compared to the occasional visit from one of the well denizens."

Nizana heaves herself from the stool. "Well, I think it's time I get some rest. I've an early rendezvous in the morning. Be well, strangers. Perhaps we'll encounter each other again in the future."

As Nizana steps over the floored snowman, she giggles and says, "Stay warm, derro."
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 13 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 22:41
Enter the Tawning Yortal
]

The pile of snow begins to pulsate, and after four undulations, the derro bursts through.  Large bricks of snow crack and cascade into fine white powder as the now pitiful looking creature scrambles to the top of its snow heap.  To Durnan, it shouts, Another round!  Definitely, another!  Something spicy this time, will you?

Turning to Nizana, it hollers and waves frantically, Nizana, my fair maiden, all of your lips are a glory to behold!  Let's do share a drink again together soon, and maychance we'll create heat amongst our bodies instead of this frigid icecapade!

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
18:39, Today: Bvlaralvb rolled 21 using 1d20+5.  Persuasion throw in the hopes that Nizana will find me charming.



And then, without any warning, the derro begins shaking off its entire body, each limb seeming to flail separately, and snow shoots in every direction, as a dog shaking water soaks any unfortunate soul who happens to be within range.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:43, Fri 12 May 2017.

Kaine
 Jonny, 8 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 23:14
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Wipes the snow from his face and turns to Xalwin.

You seem learned in the realm of enchantments.  How long do you suppose this will last?

ponders the same himself.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Kaine rolled 18 using 1d20+3. using knowledge arcana to decipher the duration of the snow enchantment.

Xalwin
 Dom, 13 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Sat 13 May 2017
at 13:12
Enter the Tawning Yortal
To Baddywhick: "Good idea. Best stock up on supplies and see if you can't enlist a few more companions as well, Kaine here has already agreed to accompany us. I've a feeling we'll find more than goblins and magical produce on this trip and will need all the talent we can muster."

Xalwin frowns in disgust at the Derro's remark to Nizana. He begins to conjure a jealous insult when logic bleeds into the edges his somewhat drunken mind. If I am repulsed by this creature's advance toward the lady, I wonder how she must have felt when the words came from one such as myself? Perhaps there is more to this 'Bvlaralvb' than first meets the eye. I've never heard of Derro being so jolly, let alone possessing musical talents! I wonder...

To Kaine: "An estute question, Kaine. I pondered the very same thing before it occurred to me that Durnan's lack of concern was all the reassurance one could need. After all, he's older than all of us combined, though perhaps excluding the lady Nizana and yourself. That aside, I've reconsidered this individual and he... she... IT, may be of use."

To Bvlaralvb: "You there, fool Derro, I've some questions for you once you've finished cooling off..."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 28 posts
 I am the Dungeon Master.
Sun 14 May 2017
at 05:07
Enter the Tawning Yortal



"You just vomited snow all over my taproom," Durnan says to Bvlarlvb. "You're cut off until the weather in here matches the weather out there," he points out the door where it's a cool summer evening.

"You want something spicy, ask my daughter for a pair of my dirty underwear from the laundry."

Durnan's eyes drift off for a moment. His eyes widen.

"No wait, don't ask her for anything. Just...," he points to a bar stool,"sit down."

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:58, Sun 14 May 2017.

Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 14 posts
Sun 14 May 2017
at 21:35
Enter the Tawning Yortal
I'll do more with your Durnanesque daughter than inquire about your spicy Undermountain long johns.  In fact, there are many things I'd like to do with her, but asking questions will not be one of them.  Sssh!  Someone's listening.  Hello?

In reply to Xalwin (msg # 68):

The derro walks a few strides closer to Xalwin but appears to be keeping a large distance between them - further away than is typical for conversations in a bustling tavern.  It slowly begins stepping its right foot slightly forward and rocking back into a regular standing position, repeatedly, as a fawn might who is unsure of which way to go and keeps initiating and reassessing its movements.  It stares at Xalwin, eyes narrowed, and begins making dance-like motions with its fingers around its face.

Fool.
Xalwin
 Dom, 14 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Mon 15 May 2017
at 03:02
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 70):

"Yes, well, you appear set on providing unorthodox entertainment and are quite capable on your mouthpipes as well. I wonder, are you possessed of any other talents? Have you traveled far?"
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 15 posts
Mon 15 May 2017
at 23:26
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Xalwin (msg # 71):

To travel is to take a journey into yourself.  What is a self?  What is an I, if not but an eye through with which to see?  Ah, the sea is a cold blanket - not curmudgeonly, no - a cold blanket that soothes the soul with wetness and salt aplenty.  And yes, in answer to your question, travel I have:

Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen.  For my will is as strong as yours... and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me!


The derro begins to slowly beat his drum to the rhythm of its words, becoming increasingly frenetic as the pressure builds behind its voice.

You have no power over me, as none have power of me or we or I or us.  For I somersault amongst the gods and ungodly alike!  Through the humour of madness, and desolation of sorrow, the undercurrent sss of tomorrow know no bounds in the palm of my hands are how we shape our realities, although too many are focused on insanities, such as the swimming through the idolatry of coin, as if one could sex it! - although pay for sex indeed, one can!  Bombastic pomposity be damned!  I am the words, the only word, for as I speak I become and am, just as you are created through the realization of your thoughts, the epitome of existence for all of those who exist!  Yes, I have traveled, and wish to travel more!  An alien on the outskirts of the societies of consciousness, I know none who quite know me, but again, what is a Me or an I but a perspective?  Do you see?  Fuckitall, I need a drink!  Durnan!  I need some grog to cool me bones and flow through the rivers of my substance while I commence conversions of strangers and future foes into friends and folly!

The derro flips a silver coin onto the bartop in the hopes that Durnan will provide something to imbibe, if only as a means of gaining a reprieve by shutting it up.
Xalwin
 Dom, 15 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Tue 16 May 2017
at 16:38
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Bvlaralvb (msg # 72):

"I... see. And how do you handle yourself in battle? Our company has need of able bodies who will not hesitate to act if things should become dangerous on our journey. Though our philosophies are different, such an undertaking must begin with trust and focus on a mutual goal. If not for coin, what is it you seek? Speak plainly, if you will..."
Baddywhick Bumperstash
 Dan, 16 posts
 Citywatch investigator w/
 a chip on his shoulder.
Wed 17 May 2017
at 18:57
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Seeing Xalwin taking the lead with Bvlaralvb, Baddywhick turns back to his beer mug, finishes it with a gulp, and then turns once more to address the derro, vampire, and gnome.

"It seems you have things in hand.  I don't want to intrude.  I am heading back to the barracks for the night.  Why don't we all meet at the south gate, 1 hour after sunrise.  I'll have a pony for myself, the rest of you will need to make due.

Be sure to have provisions and gear too, I'm not one for making sure the larder's packed neither.  This is a two day journey if we push it, and more'n likely part of a third.

I ain't never been out of this city before.  I better pack."


With that said, Baddywhick nods to Durnin and flips a silver piece to him.  In turn he gives each of the strange new companions a nod as well, taking a moment to look each in the eye before finally turning to leave.
Xalwin
 Dom, 16 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Wed 17 May 2017
at 19:35
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Baddywhick Bumperstash (msg # 74):

Calling after Baddywhick, "Very happy to have met you, watchman! Until tomorrow then!"
Bvlaralvb
 Meredith, 16 posts
Thu 18 May 2017
at 01:33
Enter the Tawning Yortal



Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
21:32, Today: Bvlaralvb rolled 25 using 1d20+5.  Play my jams.



The Derro turns to Xalwin, pulls out its dulcimer, and in a moment of what begins as unprecedented lucidity, it says, My goodness gracious!  I seem to have misplaced my manners.  If you find them, please tell them to return home at once, they are certainly past curfew and in a lot of trouble!  Speak plainly, you say?  Please beg my pardon.  It seems we have flumoxed our introductions, and the fault is all mine.  The name is Bvlaralvbina Samson-Jones-Googleplex Hemoglisternima-o? but 'twould be ridiculous for anyone in their right mind to call me such flotsam and jetsam.  I'll respond to any part of that name, broken or combined.  My namesake is a long and painful tale, which mayhaps I shall share in a song and dance number in the future, should we become bosom buddies.  As far as battle, I am able bodied and do not take warmly to those who insult me or my comrades, whoever they may be at the moment.  I do not trust easily.  I do not trust.  This is not a trust, to inherit upon your namesake's 21st moon day.  It is built and broken and rebuilt and repaired, hopefully.  To trust is to bare one's soul to the vulnerabilities of the cosmos, and that is a daily task, inhabited by us all in each and every waking moment.  Even the unconscious forbids it at times, haunting us each with memories that instill fear, fantasies, dreams, hopes, and despair.  But nevermind all that, you intrigue me enough to be entertaining, and I always seek fodder for my tales of yore.  I shall inscribe your deeds into the annals of my brain for all to admire or admonish for generations to follow - you control their fate.  What do I seek, but to seek what has been sought yet not obtained.  Retain me in your travels and we shall discover together my pursuits.  Some seek order, some seek knowledge, others power, coin, and corruption.  I seek the exuberance of living, deeds to fuel my undying flames of dance, song, and musical tales untold.  So, I go where I am led, or lead where I am followed.  It matters not to me, for I am irrelevant in the great scheme of this life, and should you meet any gods or goddesses in your travels, I hope you'll convey as much to them, or erase my name from your memory entirely.  Bvlaralvbina strums subtly throughout its soliloquy, punctuating silences and moments meant to infuse the listener with intense emotion.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:38, Thu 18 May 2017.

Durnan
Thu 18 May 2017
at 02:04
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Durnan blinks, pours himself a shot, takes the shot, and blinks again.
Xalwin
 Dom, 17 posts
 Blackstaff Academy
 Arcane Librarian
Thu 18 May 2017
at 06:14
Enter the Tawning Yortal
In reply to Durnan (msg # 77):

Xalwin takes a moment to consider both the profundity of what he's heard and the utter disregard for normal conversation, turns and salutes Durnan, then makes a beeline for the exit without a word and heads home.

MAD. DERRO. *tsk tsk* Worth a try but gods, were the texts ever right! That's the last time I challenge a standardized ecology in practice.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:18, Thu 18 May 2017.

Durnan
Fri 19 May 2017
at 00:48
Enter the Tawning Yortal
Durnan rubs the bar with a frozen terry-cloth rag.

This message was last updated by the GM at 01:43, Thu 25 May 2017.