[002] In Search of Zezura.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Gabriella Conti
 player, 61 posts
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 00:58
[002] In Search of Zezura
Gabby sits down "I have to say I don't think my about American politics, I find the European ones very interesting. But from what I have heard, I do think American might be thinking of expanding into Africa. But I am more worried about what Germany might be doing."
Mohammed
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 21:42
[002] In Search of Zezura
The discussion lasts deep into the night. Those interested are taught how to fire a rifle from the side of the boat - there are plenty of birds and even a few larger animals at which to shoot - and by the time night has fallen in earnest all are tired. Sleep comes easily.

The next morning the vessel lands in Cairo shortly after a breakfast of ham, eggs, coffee, teas and juices. Ahmed's uncle is one of many locals waving from shore. He wears a red fez and white clothing, and a broad grin. "Hello, my friends," he calls as you make your way down the gang plank. "Hello. Hello." He reaches out well into your personal space, and grabs each of your hands in turn. "Hello, hello. May name is Mohammed. Welcome to Cairo. Welcome! I am Ahmed's uncle, yes?" He throws up his hands. "Welcome to Cairo!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:08, Sat 02 Sept 2017.

Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 81 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 21:51
[002] In Search of Zezura
Ma Itso recoils slightly from the effusive greeting, good morning, sir
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 74 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 2 Sep 2017
at 01:27
[002] In Search of Zezura
   Fox kept his own counsel on the trip and seemed to be slightly quieter than the usual British pretension he was noted for. He smiled less than usual, and when around or in the company of the American, the smile never quite reached his eyes. He was more at ease with the instruction of firearms and their use and even fired a few shots on his own to keep in practice, shooting mostly birds in flight - which proved to be a much more elusive and satisfying target for the Englishman.

   The Professor also kept out of the political discussions as well - once referring to politics as something akin to sausage - one might enjoy the taste of it, but might think otherwise if one saw how it was made ...

   The next day, Fox found that he had recovered his appetite and had decimated the breakfast table almost as though it was a military campaign once the others had gotten almost through their own meals. He'd changed into his 'summer clothes' - which proved to be a beige suite along with a matching fedora and a scarf that at first hung down either side of his jacket. Getting into the sun, he took the scarf and tossed one end of it around his throat and walked down the gangplank to see about this 'Mohammed'.

  "Thank you, sirrah." he managed to half-smile to the swarthy skinned guide. "You'll be our ... guide, then?"

OOC: Just changing the colour from purple (which is proving hard to see for me) to brown, which is proving a little easier on the retinas.
Peter Stewart
 player, 92 posts
 Charisma 1
Sat 2 Sep 2017
at 02:25
[002] In Search of Zezura
Peter had been fairly quiet since arrival in Alexandria, sleeping quite a bit, trying to adjust to the change in hours. He didn't have much to say about politics, and what he did mention was focused on the economic troubles the country - the world - was having, the rise of the competing economic policies of Communism and Fascism, and general sympathy towards unionization and the International Workers of the World.
Gabriella Conti
 player, 62 posts
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 00:54
[002] In Search of Zezura
Gabby eats her fill of breakfast and has tea. She makes sure her pistol is in her shoulder bag as she sees the ship is close to shore.

She looks over at the uncle and waits till she can walk down with her gear and looks over at Mohammed. "Good morning. So you are Mohammed, Ahmed's uncle?" she asks joking. [Language unknown:  A ck unol Erreon ar fiines.]"
Ilse Stoica
 player, 37 posts
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 12:37
[002] In Search of Zezura
Ilse recoils quickly as Mohammed clearly had no personal boundaries. Was everyone here going to be this way? "Hello.." She said, though it seemed mostly an effort to satiate the other's obvious eagerness for socialization.
Mohammed
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 15:44
[002] In Search of Zezura
"Yes, yes! I am guide." Mohammed shakes Artemis's hands, but looks truly pleased when Gabriella speaks. His Arabic is indeed better, though he continues to speak quickly. [Language unknown:  "E pr lleeth Ovethiersver. T eauel po mohat comoulkor. Th ee conevelin peloitut tewaes, one, nihosa, elce ne re ort ce ioous set the."] He hesitates, looking around at the group. Then he smiles broadly. "We go to find Zezura together, yes? Yes? I am great adventurer!" To show just how great, he held up his arms as if to say, Look how strong I am.

OOC: You have enough to pay for the water, food and camels. However you may consider making negotiation rolls - three in total (so either one person make three or three people make one, or whatever). That will allow you to save more money.
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 76 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 17:06
[002] In Search of Zezura
   Fox looked to the Arab as he went forward and shook hands with everyone, clearly he wanted to make an impression as a friendly guide. The professor was slightly taken aback at the Mohammedan's forthrightness but still shook the man's hand nevertheless. He did notice how some seemed a little daunted at the man's friendly nature and took note of Ms Stoica's reaction to the little blighter's actions. If the little man pushed his contact any further in the future, something might have to be done about the situation.

   "Bloody perfect..." Fox smiled as the Arab raised his arms and showed off his muscles in a display of strength. "Let's get started then, shall we?"

OOC: Not sure what to roll, if that's what we need. No "Negotiation/Haggling" here ... to paraphrase a famous line, 'I'm a Professor, not a shopkeep."
Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 83 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 18:40
[002] In Search of Zezura
Ma Itso watched the man carefully, feeling unsettled by his effusive greeting. Later he assisted in negotiating for supplies.
Gabriella Conti
 player, 64 posts
Sun 10 Sep 2017
at 00:37
[002] In Search of Zezura
Gabby starts to negotiate with the people with the supplies or Mohammed in Arabic, using her good looks .
Patience
 player, 64 posts
Mon 11 Sep 2017
at 19:24
[002] In Search of Zezura
Not being much of a negotiator herself, Patience stays back and lets the experts take care of these things.
Peter Stewart
 player, 95 posts
 Charisma 1
Mon 11 Sep 2017
at 20:44
[002] In Search of Zezura
Peter lets the people who can speak the language haggle. He'd never had a taste for such business anyway. Instead he enjoys the sounds and sights of the exotic market, the smell of spice in the air.
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 82 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 04:24
[002] In Search of Zezura
   Fox saw that Ms Conti was beginning to speak to the shop keeps about things that they wanted and needed to buy. It had never been anything like that with the shops in London, but with his tenure at the University and his living allowance, it had afforded him enough to (back then) hire one of the young lads to help him at the market. George had been adept at the art of getting the best price, and Fox had wondered if the young man had some Jewish blood in him. Wouldn't have surprised the Professor, to be honest, and might stand the young lad in good stead later in life ...

  "I say," he said with a slight raise in his tone, "Tis such a fine day, some sightseeing while shopping might not be a bad idea. Do we want to split up and see the sights?"
Peter Stewart
 player, 96 posts
 Charisma 1
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 13:50
[002] In Search of Zezura
"I'll accompany you," Peter said. "I'd appreciate the historical perspective on what we're to see."
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 83 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 14:24
[002] In Search of Zezura
   Fox's smile widened as Stewart mentioned his interest in the historical perspective. "And such a perspective you shall have, Mister Stewart. Aegypt is a rich and wonderful culture under the influence of the Mohammedans and thrived under the leadership of Sultan Saladin in the 1100's. It was, truly, a sight to behold."

   He began to start walking, then stopped. He turned on his heel and looked to the others. "Anyone else?"
Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 85 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:30
[002] In Search of Zezura
I will stay with the Ladies, might be wise.
Game Master
 GM, 117 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 00:09
[002] In Search of Zezura
Gabriella's efforts to negotiate are not unsuccessful, per se, though perhaps she might wish they were. One of the sellers, an ancient, wizened creature with yellow teeth (what few remain), unshaven face, and foul breath, barely seems to notice she is a woman, let alone attractive. He is a hard sell, but she gets a good deal on water - fantastic, really. The food is a more difficult sell, but ultimately Ma Itso is able to use the international language of trade - pointing and speaking loudly - to convince the man to sell. Unfortunately they don't make out nearly as well at their second stop and end up neither gaining nor losing funds.

The real trouble comes at the third stop however. The seller is the young son of the camel stall's owner, perhaps fifteen years at the oldest. He is short and handsome, and clearly has less than wholesome interest in the Italian woman. It isn't five minutes before he begins making inappropriate comments to the woman...

OOC: As I understand it, Gabriella, Ilse, and Ma Itsoare here (as, of course, is Patience, though there is more for her, below).

No further negotiation rolls are necessary, though you will have to deal with Boy Camel somehow.






Patience follows along with the other women and Ma Itso as they wander around, purchasing supplies. Her interests lie largely elsewhere however, and she quickly finds herself at 'the stall next door.' The stalls are not a great deal more interesting - mostly chotchkies and otherwise useless crap. But in amongst the proverbial sand are a few gems: beautifully crafted pieces of artwork, books (nearly all in Arabic), ancient pieces of pottery and the like. There is even a beautifully-crafted dagger at one stall, though from the looks of it it's well outside her price range.

Alas, her few attempts to help procure supplies are otherwise less than helpful.





Artemis and Peter make their way toward the river (though it is doubtful they know that). The smells draw them on, the voices of a hundred sellers urging them to buy this or that. They pass stalls selling everything from food (fantastic food) to 'collectables' (less than fantastic).

In time they come to a bazaar with a wide variety of goods and, best yet, English speakers. A great forum, surrounded by colorful tents, is dominated by a single unhealthy-looking tree beneath which two men are arguing loudly. A group of natives and visitors have gathered around to watch the spectacle. Even from the edge of the forum it is clear the two are debating the place of England in Egypt's future, and the crowd surrounding them appears to be increasingly interested in the outcome - and not all in a peaceful way.
Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 86 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 02:29
[002] In Search of Zezura
Ma Itso puts himself between the young man and the Italian lady , he gives the young man a bit of a glare... You wish to sell camels or explain why you failed?

I assue our trusty Guide, Mohammed, is also present to translate?
Game Master
 GM, 118 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 15:10
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
OOC: Oops. Yes, Mohammed is present, though he's largely being rather amazed at the fact that a foreigner - and a female foreigner at that - is able to both understand the language and (generally) hold her own in negotiations. That said, he's not very helpful. He's a bit like a kid in a candy store otherwise, making "helpful" suggestions that serve no particular purpose. He's just excited to be there and about to go on a capital-A Adventure.

TL;DR: It's probably a good thing you're not paying him.



Also, since it's come up: Mohammed is ... let's just say "not skilled" at hiding things. It's pretty safe to say that you don't need to roll when it comes to determining if he's lying or telling the truth. And negotiation is way out of his league. (Which probably explains why you lot are doing said negotiations.) One has to wonder how he's survived this long...
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 84 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 18:09
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
   Professor Fox walked along the street, one hand on his cane while the other held a small cloth over his beard to clean the last remains of the Aegyptian 'shawarma' he'd just enjoyed. The layers of meat had been sumptuous inside the thin Arabic bread and had proved to 'hit the spot' perfectly. "Never set about on an adventure, Mister Stewart, until you are adequately resourced ... or, as the Americans put it: 'Never do anything on an empty stomach'."

   They'd gotten the shawarma from one of the local bazaar vendors, and Fox had offered to pay for Stewart's portion, calling it a 'gift from one adventurer to another'. When the food arrived, the Professor clearly relished the experience and complimented the man on his culinary prowess after hed' finished. The only drawback to the meal was that the meat had been greasy and it had been no small task in keeping the leavings from his pale beige summer suit that surrounded Fox's large frame.

   He walked a bit further as they took in the sights and sounds when Fox's eye caught sight of the colourful Pavillion. He blinked slightly when he'd thought that he'd heard English - he suspected that it was used mostly by Empire officials and such, but to hear it in the Bazaars where the common people were was sounded very much out of place.

   He stepped forward a little more, using his cane in an attempt to forge his way through the crowd to where he could hear the debate and learn what was being said. He'd heard something about England and Aegypt but hadn't been able to catch whatever the connection was. He wanted to learn more ...
Gabriella Conti
 player, 68 posts
Mon 18 Sep 2017
at 02:05
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
Gabby looks at the young Arab, speaking
Game Master
 GM, 120 posts
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 00:16
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
Although clearly taken aback by Gabriella's words, Ma Itso's appear to have less impact. "You want best camels in Cairo? My father has best camels! You go somewhere else, camel die in desert." The youth turns to Gabriella and strokes a non-existent moustache he's clearly seen on television or in the movies; perhaps a move made by John Barrymore? [Language unknown:  "Of ugh vor sti has witdayany acin eril,"] he says. Adding, "You know that happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open, yes?" He sounds like he's quoting something.



As Artemis and Peter make their way to the center of the forum to see the two men arguing, they find themselves in an increasingly militant crowd. One of the men is a European with a thick moustache and unkempt hair. He speaks with an eastern European accent and is arguing loudly for the rights of the native Egyptians. With each point he makes, the poorly-garbed European stabs a short walking stick in the air at his opponent. Each point also summons forth both heckles and cries of support.

On the other side of the argument is a darkly-skinned Arab man wearing native garb. "The Empire," he insists in a thickly English accent as the crowd looks on, "has always protected us against our enemies - not only the Ottoman during the War, but after." This, too, draws cries of support - more, it seems, than the other speaker, though the hecklers are more hostile in their responses. More than a few begin shoving the supporters, though greater violence doesn't appear to be imminent.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:17, Sun 01 Oct 2017.

Gabriella Conti
 player, 69 posts
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 01:11
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
Graddy looks at the youth "Good, now let us see these camels. Then we can decide on their quality." not that she knew camels from camel shit. But she could fake it.
Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 87 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Wed 4 Oct 2017
at 02:18
Re: [002] In Search of Zezura
In reply to Game Master (msg # 29):

Yes, Yes, I am sure that no other camel merchant has camels like yours ... but I am willing to bet I can find better if you don't mind your manners. You want a sale, do not pester the lady ... in any language. I've seen a few camels in my time.