Neverwinter.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 1
GM
 GM, 9 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 21:08
Fleggort
Ok, so, you find yourself in front of a Temple of Boccob (I am going to use the Greyhawk deity list), god of knowledge. You are recently arrived at this city of Neverwinter, in a neighborhood named Fleggort. Neverwinter is a river city with a massive ancient bridges spanning a large river that runs east and west, emptying on the west side of the city into the Sea of Swords.

Your reasoning for coming to this city is that it is very old. This temple has an extensive library that is more or less public.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Tue 14 Jan 2020.

Saran Helder
 player, 1 post
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:02
Fleggort
Saran enters the temple with slight uneasiness, more used to libraries than temples.  He looks around for a priest, cleric, or some indication of where to go or what to do next.  He wishes to petition Boccob for guidance to know, to see, to divine.  Not used to this path of seeking he sees this as a trial of sorts.  Will the gods stoop to hear the petitions of mortals?
GM
 GM, 10 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:18
Fleggort
You walk into the temple and there is a lobby area that looks almost like a security checkpoint. The opening to the next chamber is large, 15' across and 20' high, but it appears that efforts have been made to choke access off to a single file walkway. To either side there are large statues. One is a king sitting on a throne made from piles of books. On the other side there is a sort of statue/model representing the planes of existence.

In the middle there is a reception desk, behind it is standing a young man. He appears to be looking back and forth from several open books. He looks like a mage's apprentice. If he has noticed you, he hasn't given any indication of such.
Saran Helder
 player, 2 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:44
Fleggort
Saran approaches the young man and asks:
May I be directed to Boccob's Chamber?

or other appropriate relate query as allowed by Religion check of 16.  Also what does Saran know in general about Boccob?
GM
 GM, 11 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:58
Fleggort
Excellent questions.

You know that Boccob is the the God of knowledge. Some believe that he was a mortal human that became a dog through his acquisition of knowledge. He was said to be an archmage that became so powerful that he ascending to the godly plane through his knowledge of the universe. He is also known as Boccob the Uncaring, because he is not at all moralistic, neither good nor evil. Many of his followers are mages and wizards, bards, and even some warlocks looking for hidden secrets. And of course plenty of clerics, but it is not uncommon for Priests to practice both arcane and divine magic.

You remember that an appropriate thing to say would be "I come seeking knowledge."

The man behind the desk seems slightly surprised by your presence and after recovering gives a half smile and bows slightly, puts his hands together and bows slightly and intones, "Come, and be illuminated." Then he starts pushing books aside until he finds what appears to be a ledger and asks, "Name, field of research." then waits expectantly.
Saran Helder
 player, 3 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 13:54
Fleggort
Saran Helder, divination
GM
 GM, 14 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 15:41
Fleggort
Very well. He scribbles some notes then snaps his fingers and a bit of sand bursts out and covers the fresh ink, then he absently sweeps his hand above the page which creates a small magical gust of wind that blows the sand off. The sand dissipates in the air.

5th floor. If you wish to use the observatorium you will have to talk to one of the clerks up there.
Saran Helder
 player, 6 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 18:57
Fleggort
His interest piqued, Saran heads up to the 5th floor and asks a clerk about the observatorium.
GM
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:29
Fleggort
Saran enters the temple with slight uneasiness, more used to libraries than temples.  He looks around for a priest, cleric, or some indication of where to go or what to do next.  He wishes to petition Boccob for guidance to know, to see, to divine.  Not used to this path of seeking he sees this as a trial of sorts.  Will the gods stoop to hear the petitions of mortals?

You pass by the reception desk and cross into the next chamber which is a huge room with bookshelves which are filled with books. There are reading desks scattered among the bookshelves. There are a few people reading books, transcribing information, or perusing the aisles. There are also a few men and women dressed similarly to the man at the front desk patrolling around.

At the back of the room there is an open stone staircase leading up. The 2nd and 3rd floors are similar to the first, but with fewer people.

The 4th floor landing is met with a large, metal door, bolted shut.

The 5th floor has large bookshelves arranged in a circle, like spokes of a wheel. There are tables and chairs where the spaces between shelves are at their widest. In the center of the room is a large, raised, circular platform filled with contraptions and strange furniture. The ceiling is domed. It appears this is the top floor of the temple.

There are stairs leading to the platform. In front of the stairs is a man that looks remarkably similar to the man at the reception desk of the temple.
Saran Helder
 player, 7 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:40
Fleggort
Saran spends a few minutes perusing the aisles to see what kind of books are available, and then approaches the clerk and asks, "What may be observed here?"
GM
 GM, 17 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:57
Fleggort
<I am going to retcon and say that this man is actually an older gentleman.>

He seems to take it as a deep philosophical question and strikes a pensive look.

Very little of which is not already known. That is the problem with divination, you often have to know what it is you are looking for, so we are often limited by our own imagination, and the inventiveness of those who have come before, and for that we have books. Some believe that for this reason it is more worthwhile to become clerics and supplicate to Boccob for knowledge, for there is little knowledge that he does not know.

He stands up and looks at the platform.

Do you know what you wish to see?
Saran Helder
 player, 8 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 20:12
Fleggort
Were there any interesting book titles?
GM
 GM, 18 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 21:43
Fleggort

A Quantitative Analysis of the Effect of Lay Lines on Transdimensional Scrying
There is no Truth, Only Observations
Gleanings from Rary's Personal Journal
The Traitor's Journal, Annotated
The Plane of Truth
Dealing with Planar Allies
Saran Helder
 player, 9 posts
Thu 14 Sep 2017
at 00:01
Fleggort
Saran to clerk: May one look into the unknown past as well as the unknown future?
GM
 GM, 19 posts
Thu 14 Sep 2017
at 17:49
Fleggort
(Note: while the man talks he minor illusions imagery in a similar way that a teacher may draw on a whiteboard while teaching. But it is 3d and totally awesome.)

The old man says, Well, yes. And no.

In both of these things it is possible, and something that everyone does, all the time. You cast your mind backward into your memory and recall events. But even Rary himself would admit that the mind is not a perfect vessel. But like scars from a wound all things leave their mark, magic can be used to read these marks. Some things are better at retaining an accurate record. For instance, if a man walks across muddy ground, the mud will bear a record of his passing. Easy to read and fairly accurate. If that man walks across flagstone, the task becomes more difficult, unless his feet are still muddy I suppose.


The man chuckles.

With the aid of magic, objects, or people -some focus- may be read, even if they bear no mark we can see with our eyes. Some things take better records, the mind does a fair job, as do items prepared for such a task. Some become infused with the passion of the moment and are thus easier to read.

It is mainly a question of focus. I cannot tell you all that has happened in the last second, because the last second encompasses all reality, and unreality. I couldn't even tell you what happened in the last second in this town, or this street, or even this temple. I can perhaps give a somewhat incomplete account of this room, based on observation, and my faulty memory.

The future is likewise similar. I can tell you what will, very likely, happen with this book,
he gestures to a book, in the next second. But, I don't know. Maybe you will surprise me and nudge it. If I can control the influences around a focus, I might have a better chance. Or if I know how those other things will act. Everything in the future is a haze of infinite possibilities and interactions.

Again, magic mitigates the uncertainty by combining the likely actions an interaction of the objects or people in question. Some great thinkers created ways to divine the inner nature of people, materials, and all known things to try and know their tendency toward chaos, law, good and evil. Also, of course, thier physical properties. These spells combine these knowns to predict a likely outcome, in much the same way our minds do.

But the only truth you will find is in present, though we see as through glass darkly.

Perhaps there is something you wish to know.

Saran Helder
 player, 11 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 19:06
Fleggort
I wish to know the circumstances around a deed. It was found among my father's belongings, who has passed on.
GM
 GM, 22 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 19:33
Fleggort
The man gestures for you to give him the deed. He takes it and starts looking it over.

Let's see, I don't recognize this place, sounds Thayan, perhaps in Priador.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Realms_nations#Thay

Let's see, who is 'Saran Helder'? Is that your dead father? He looks up at you and raises an eyebrow.
Saran Helder
 player, 12 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 20:05
Fleggort
That is my name.
GM
 GM, 24 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 21:08
Fleggort
Well, I should warn you that if this is Thayan, it may be illegal to own land there, assuming this is authentic. Your question implies that you seek some magical divination to be done, but let's run down the mundane paths as much as possible first- fix some of those variables. I believe I have an atlas aorund here somewhere...

He shuffles some books around on his desk a moment, shakes his head, then walks up the stairs onto the raised platform. (assuming you follow) He walks to a large table covered in a giant map of the continent(s). The map has no labels, but you see symbol of Boccob (eye within a pentagram) scattered throughout the lands. On top of the map there are several contraptions that appear to be different sized lenses being held at varying distances above the face of the map by wire frames. He slides one over the map and you see it reveals the names of cities and towns on the map where you look through the lens.

He brings it to a region which you can see through the lens is labeled Thay and he starts inspecting coastal towns.

Ha! I knew it. It seems you own land on the coast of Thay, possibly a port. Very valuable indeed, but given their propensity to make war and engage in the slave trade, perhaps more of a liability to an illuskan, if I may venture a guess.

I can cast some divinations on this note, but such services aren't free. Tell me, where are you from?


(I don't want to play both sides of the table, but I assume you tell him...)

You see, I have this little project here, he gestures over the map, I have identified all the locations I could that are, or have been associated with Boccob. He sweeps his hand of the map again and several of the symbols begin to glow. These ones are mostly active temples and libraries, and other noteworthy buildings or sites. The others require investigation. Some are where tmeples used to be, important locations in the histories of Boccob, homes of powerful followers of Boccob who may or may not remain, or anything else I could come up with.

As he's talking, he brings the lens over to your home location. Not far from your home town there is a non-glowing symbol of Boccob.

Are you familiar with this location?

(all you know is that it is within a forest that is not particularly noteworthy or dangerous, a common hunting ground)

After you answer (however you want), he points out another non-glowing symbol near to where you are and says, If you go and investigate this location, I will perform divinations in regards to this deed. In either case, you need not worry, I will not divulge your alleged association with Thay.
Saran Helder
 player, 16 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 22:59
Re: Fleggort
GM:
I can cast some divinations on this note, but such services aren't free. Tell me, where are you from?


Saran tells the man where he is from with slight hesitation.

GM:
Are you familiar with this location?


Saran answers, "It is within a forest, not particularly noteworthy or dangerous, a common hunting ground."

GM:
If you go and investigate this location, I will perform divinations in regards to this deed. In either case, you need not worry, I will not divulge your alleged association with Thay.


Saran replies, somewhat reluctant to trust this stranger, and somewhat eager to test himself, and for an opportunity to learn about his father's deed in his name, "Sir, you know much about me already, and I very much appreciate your discretion, but I don't even know your name. I would be willing to investigate both locations you have indicated in exchange on the first hand, for some knowledge of who's service I would be in."
GM
 GM, 27 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 17:47
Re: Fleggort
You would be in my service primarily, also in the service of Boccob... or at least his church. I supposed he knows all there is to know about these places, but it is possible he no longer sees them. You would also be in service to yourself, as there may be great mysteries waiting to be unlocked, and I perceive you to be a seeker of knowledge.

My name is Francis, in addition to minding the Observatorium I also tutor some students in the city. I have been practicing magic as a wizard for 50 years. I started my training in Waterdeep under the tutelage of Grimdig the Sorcerer. I serve Boccob in the interest of furthering my understanding of the universe.

Do you practice the arcane arts? You seem to have that spark about you.

Saran Helder
 player, 19 posts
Mon 18 Sep 2017
at 20:21
Re: Fleggort
I am a practitioner, though not of comparable experience.  I studied with Imiydor at the institute in Luskan.
Saran casts minor illusion cantrip to make an image of the institute in a manner similar to what Francis did to help illustrate his explanations.
I am eager to learn not only about my deed, but of the places you indicate as of interest, and accept your terms Master Francis.  I shall investigate these locations and return as quickly as haste permits
GM
 GM, 33 posts
Mon 18 Sep 2017
at 23:37
Re: Fleggort
Excellent. He walks around to the other side of the table and opens a book. The pages are mostly blank, with vertical lines forming columns, each with a heading. The first column says "Location", the next says "Explorer", then "Scry Indices", Then "Notes".

He says, you know what the secret to advancement is? Disciplined record keeping.

Under the Location column there are alpha-numeric combinations, which you surmise correspond to locations on a map. In name column next to one of the locations he writes your name after confirming the spelling S-A-R-A-N H-E-L-D-ER?

Next to the table, there is what appears to be a large wooden chest of drawers. In modern parlance, it looks like those cabinets that hold library index cards, but with smaller drawers.

He pulls out one of the long, skinny drawers and it contains several gold coins, each sitting in a felt, coin-sized depression. Each depression is connected by a slot to make for easy retrieval of the coins. He begins to pick out the coins and you see that they are stacked two deep. He takes out 10 pairs of coins and lays them on the map table. Each coin bears the symbol of Boccob on one side and a numeric code on the other. Each pair has the same numeric code.

Already sitting on the table is a box about the size of your fist. On one side of the box is a slot and on the top is a small hole. Francis puts one of the coins into the slot and says, revelo. A three-dimensional image projects out of the hole showing the room you are now in in real time.

Francis picks up the corresponding coin and waves it side to side, while doing so, the image shifts in such a way that the coin is always at the center.

The coins are mundane, that magic is in the box. The trick is that it scrys the location of the other coin. The number on coin is to make each coin pair unique and to aid in indexing. Quite ingenius, if I may say so.

He begins transcribing the numbers in the "Scry Indecis" column. Your task is first to find these sights of interest, and then to place these coins in advantageous positions for remote observation. There is a spell I would like you to learn which will aid in this endeavor. A simple thing really. It creates a depression in common materials such as wood and stone, and most metals, in which you may affix one of these coins, or a similarly sized object, I suppose.

The spell is actually generic enough that you may also create a boss from the material and can determine the size and shape of the modification. I would ask that for this purpose you always create a negative of the numeric code, so if the coin is ever removed, as similar focus may still be used, though not in the manner I just showed you.

I will note for your own edification that so marking surfaces in this way can be used as a reference to scry on certain areas and may aid you in your adventures.


You may add this spell to your spellbook (Francis provides the necessary ink, scrap paper, wooden "blanks" to practice on, and a place to study so the process will cost no gold and 2 hours).

quote:
Acrane Mark
1st-level Transmutation(ritual)(Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch (1ft x 1ft of wood, stone, or metal surface)
Components: VSM (a quill or similar writing utensil)
Duration: Instantaneous
You create an impression or boss on a surface. Particularly intricate or complex images may require a visual reference or an appropriate ability check.


Francis gives you 10 of the unique scrying coins and says, Why don't you go to the closer site and check back in before going to the site outside of Luskan?

Sorry for taking so many liberties with your side of the table, I figure that at the point of you accepting the quest(s) that your compliance is a foregone conclusion for some of these things. You can work on the spell now (it is still morning) or go and do something else. Francis has not given you a timeframe. You are free to use the library or whatever you want.
Saran Helder
 player, 22 posts
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 04:41
Re: Fleggort
After learning the spell well enough to be confident in its use, Saran heads out to the first location, having already stated he would try to make haste.
GM
 GM, 34 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 17:12
Re: Fleggort
Francis copies the portion of the map you will need and you head out of Neverwinter, buying some rations on your way out (do you get anything else? Not sure what all comes in a scholar's pack...).

A few hours into your journey along the well worn road from Neverwinter to Luskan (at some point in the next day you will need to diverge from the path into the wilderness). You are about round a bend when you hear laughing up ahead on the road, out of sight and maybe 100' away.

It is about 3pm.
Saran Helder
 player, 24 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 18:42
Re: Fleggort
PHB:
Scholarís Pack (40 gp). Includes a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife.


Not much there that's useful for traveling. Just rations is fine though, I think.

I meant to mention that Saran would have summoned his Raven familiar at the onset of his journey.  He asks the Raven to fly up ahead and uses its senses to see and hear what is up ahead.  I assume nothing would take notice of a raven flying around.
GM
 GM, 35 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 21:10
Re: Fleggort
You see two men seated on a two-horse cart, a merchant and his guard by the looks. They both have their hands in the air in the universal "I surrender" pose, though the merchant appears to be grumbling angrily at the guard.

To the right of the guard there is a rough looking man in studded leather armor standing about 30' away, pointing a heavy crossbow at the guard.

About 10' from the merchant, of the left side, there is another bandit with a short sword drawn gesturing with his free hand to the merchant as if to have him toss something to him. Short sword man is the source of the laughter.
Saran Helder
 player, 25 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 22:13
Re: Fleggort
Saran moves within range (90') and casts sleep on the crossbowman (affecting up to 21 HP of creatures within 20' of crossbowman), and yells loudly, "Halt, in the name of the law!"
GM
 GM, 36 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 22:35
Re: Fleggort
You cast Sleep, which makes a *foomp* sound and the bandit crumbles to the ground.

Initiative time.
Seran 24
Guard 21 (natural 20)
Bandit 9
Merchant 4

Because the Guard got a natural 20, I am going to bump him to first (this round only).

The guard springs into action, grabbing up a crossbow and firing at the still-awake bandit.

The bolt hits the bandits outstretched empty hand and passes clean through with a spray of blood (11 dam). The guard reloads.

Your turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 26 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 22:53
Re: Fleggort
Saran Readies firebolt. If the bandit moves to attack, blast him, if he runs away, let him go.
Attack (if triggered): 23
damage (if triggered): 6
GM
 GM, 37 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 23:08
Re: Fleggort
He does indeed run.

The merchant powers.

Your turn again.
Saran Helder
 player, 27 posts
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 23:23
Re: Fleggort
GM:
The merchant powers.

What does this mean?

Saran let's him run, but stays ready to blast anything that should look like it needs blasting.
GM
 GM, 38 posts
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 02:15
Re: Fleggort
The guard hops down and walks over and hacks at the sleeping bandito with a longsword. Who subsequently wakes up, stands up and dodges away from the guard 15' into the trees.

Your turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 28 posts
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 14:05
Re: Fleggort
Saran asks the Raven to follow the bandit who ran off first and waits to see what unfolds with the others.
GM
 GM, 40 posts
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 15:47
Re: Fleggort
The guard runs after the second bandit and you hear murder off stage right.

You send the raven to follow the first bandit.

The merchant says, thank goodness you came!
Saran Helder
 player, 30 posts
Sat 23 Sep 2017
at 13:35
Re: Fleggort
"Yes, it's a good thing. These roads are dangerous. Where are you headed?
GM
 GM, 41 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 21:58
Re: Fleggort
Headed to Neverwinter from Luskan, trade merchant. He gestures to the cart which is loaded and covered by tarps.

He yells to his guard, Light man, aren't you the looter?! You see that the guard is returning with a coin sack, the bandit's short sword, and corssbow.

What? He don't need these. Almost took his boots too, they look nice. Wrong size though. He holds up one of his freakishly petite feet.

After a few awkward moments the merchant says, Well thanks again for the help. Be safe. and the two climb on to the cart.
Saran Helder
 player, 31 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 22:31
Re: Fleggort
Isn't it customary to divide the spoils?  I have little use of the sword or crossbow, but I would claim my portion of what is in that sack.
GM
 GM, 42 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 22:41
Re: Fleggort
The merchant elbows the guard who frowns, then tosses you the pouch.

Then they start away.

Rewards:
1 coin purse
14cp
38sp

25xp

Saran Helder
 player, 32 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 23:03
Re: Fleggort
Well met, and safer travels to you!

Saran takes a short rest (regaining spell slot by arcane recovery).  While waiting for any sign from or return of familiar.
GM
 GM, 43 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 23:23
Re: Fleggort
After about 10 min the raven comes back. Do you do your rest on the road? Do you do anything non strenuous? What do you do after the rest?
Saran Helder
 player, 33 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 23:33
Re: Fleggort
What time is it?  How much further to my destination?
GM
 GM, 44 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 23:40
Re: Fleggort
GM:
It is about 3pm.


A couple days.
GM
 GM, 45 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 20:23
Re: Fleggort
The raven is ready to lead you back to the bandit hide out.
Saran Helder
 player, 34 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 20:33
Re: Fleggort
To the bandit hideout then!
Saran Helder
 player, 35 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 20:52
Re: Fleggort
But I think it probably is wise to get that spell slot back first...
GM
 GM, 46 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 21:14
Re: Fleggort
Ok, you sit in the middle of the road for an hour studying your spellbook. It is uneventful. You see the other bandit in the grass just off the road near some trees. One of his boots are off.

About 10 minutes into your rest the raven comes back and after you regain your spell slot, you head to the pirateís banditís cave hideout.

It is a small, dilapidated cottage that is slowly being reclaimed by the forest.
Saran Helder
 player, 36 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 21:44
Re: Fleggort
How small?  If I cast sleep in the middle of the cottage do I stand a chance of getting everyone in there.

Now that I'm looking at the sleep spell it says everyone within 20' of a point I choose is potentially affected.  So that's a 40' diameter circle.  I think I was thinking about this wrong in the earlier encounter.  The one bandit was 30' from the wagon and the other was 10', so maybe I could have tried to get all 4 of them asleep, if you were describing distance from the center of the wagon.

Also I was wondering if I could retcon and get a bedroll and rope as supplies before I left town.
GM
 GM, 47 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 21:52
Re: Fleggort
Nope. Too late.

I assumed that you placed the sleep spell where it would only affect the bandit off to the side and not anyone else.

The cottage is 10' x 10'.
Saran Helder
 player, 37 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 22:13
Re: Fleggort
Yes, that is where I put the other sleep spell.  I was just wondering if I should have put it somewhere else, but it worked out anyway.

Saran positions himself off to the side of the cottage at about 30'.  Raven sits out in front somewhere, preferablly perched on a tree, where he can see inside the front door.  Saran casts sleep in the middle of the cottage (rolled 23).  Then casts mage hand to open the front door (if unlocked).  Then waits a sec.  Then casts minor illusion at point of door: auditory illusion that says, "that was too close!"  Then sees what Raven sees.

Trying to think of a name for Raven that isn't Edgar or Poe.  Does he come with a name?
GM
 GM, 49 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 22:22
Re: Fleggort
Ok, we are in the territory of needing to know how subtle spells are. I am going to go with sleep being very Subtle.

You here the *floomp*. Then you mage hand and then minor illusion.

So, I am going to need you to make a deception or performance check if you are trying to impersonate the bandit, that you did not hear in the first encounter.
Saran Helder
 player, 38 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 22:30
Re: Fleggort
Deception or performance check: 18
GM
 GM, 50 posts
Tue 26 Sep 2017
at 22:48
Re: Fleggort
Actually, you know what, there is actually no response. You see a man sleeping on the floor.

I rolled 1 dice too many for his hp.

You see a guy asleep on the floor.
Saran Helder
 player, 40 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 04:22
Re: Fleggort
Spot flies in and has a look around.  Anything worth entering for?  Anything to restrain the bandit with?
GM
 GM, 51 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 16:01
Re: Fleggort
You see a mess kit (spoon, dish, shallow tin mug) on the table with what looks like some gruel was recently eaten out of it. You see some rope. A couple mattresses with blankets and pillows. Cupboards, some with broken doors. A footlocker/hope chest at the bottom of a broken up bed. Fireplace with poker set. Uh... couple chairs. Wash basin. Bandit with studded leather, short sword, light crossbow. Travel clothes.
Saran Helder
 player, 41 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 17:20
Re: Fleggort
Saran runs in and ties up the bandit.  Spot flies out to stand watch and make noise if anyone approaches.  If there is time Saran takes up the crossbow and points it at the bandit, ready action to shoot if he tries anything, otherwise ready firebolt.  When the bandit wakes up Saran says, "Hello Bandit. I'm sorry to report that your counterpart has been killed; not my doing. What will you do now?"
GM
 GM, 52 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 17:22
Re: Fleggort
Uh, gather my things and go and report myself to the authorities.
Saran Helder
 player, 42 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 17:31
Re: Fleggort
Very honorable. If you'd rather wait here I can report your location to the authorities. Would you hear alternative plans?"
GM
 GM, 53 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 17:47
Re: Fleggort
OK...
Saran Helder
 player, 43 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 18:12
Re: Fleggort
Ok, well, first tell me a little bit about yourself. I have to know if I can trust you. Are you the type of person to stab a man in the back? How long have you been in the bandit business?
 How is business these days? Have you ever plied an honest trade? How much do you know about these woods?"


Basically Saran tries to get him talking a bit so he can decide what he should do with him, what he's about and if he can be at all trusted. Insight check: 2 (natural 1, dang it!).
GM
 GM, 54 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 18:19
Re: Fleggort
"Look, you can't trust me, I can't trust you. All I want is to gather up my things and leave. Look, we can even split the loot."

He gestures toward the footlocker.

"You can take my now deceased partner's cut. That seems fair, don't it?"

He seems believable.
Saran Helder
 player, 44 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 18:30
Re: Fleggort
Fair enough, Fair enough

Saran opens the footlocker with mage hand while keeping an eye/bead on the bandit (is Saran pointing the crossbow at the bandit?)
GM
 GM, 55 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 18:38
Re: Fleggort
Sure.

You find:


Coins:
2000cp
1200sp
40gp

Gemstones:
1x Carnelian (opaque red-brown).
 Value 50 GP.
1x Chalcedony (opaque white).
 Value 50 GP.
3x Citrine (transparent pale yellow-brown).
 Value 50 GP.
1x Star rose quartz (translucent rosy stone with white star-shaped center).
 Value 50 GP.
1x Zircon (transparent pale blue-green).
 Value 50 GP.

Items:
1x Potion of greater healing
(Table A)
1x Potion of healing
(Table A)

Point of fact, you also notice that the bandits hand is healed.
Saran Helder
 player, 45 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 19:33
Re: Fleggort
Saran attempts to KO the bandit with two handed finesse staff attacks.

4 attacks with advantage: 13, 20 , 17, 10
damage: 6, 4, 10, 7
GM
 GM, 56 posts
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 20:15
Re: Fleggort
I really enjoyed what just happened:

Saran: Tell you what...
Bandit: How about this...
Saran: Sounds fair...

WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!

So, point of fact, you can't use a staff as a finesse weapon. You even have it correctly noted on your character sheet that you attack modifier for your staff is -1 and your damage is 1d6/1d8 (-1).

I am putting his AC at 13, and advantage giving you about +5, this mean you hit him about 60% of the time. Your average damage is 3.5 per hit. His hitpoints are 22. So, you need to attack him about 6 or 7 times, which means you have to attack him about 10 times. (Feel free to make more rolls to give actuals)

This means that you spend a minute trying to knock him out.

Here's how it goes down. You surprise him with a good whack to the head.
OW! What the fu...
Then you whack at him again, but he dodges and your staff hits the floor.
He tries to wriggle away.
You whack him again, this time in the face, blood splatters on the floor.
He kicks you hard in the shin (1 damage).
You hit him again.
He wriggles under the table, screaming for you to stop.
You jab at him under the table, miss.
He tries to protect his head "NOOO!"
You jab at him again, getting his ear.
He writhes, kicking the table over with a crash.
You whack him again.
He starts to sob.
You whack him again.
He tries one more time to trip you, but fails.
You knock him out.

Saran is a bit winded from the exertion and the prolonged violence. The sweat on his back is causing his shirt to stick. The forest around the cottage is quiet. There is sunlight streaming in from the window on the scene of struggle and blood.
Saran Helder
 player, 46 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 00:36
Re: Fleggort
Saran feels badly and mutters to himself between breaths, "Well that didn't go well" and hopes that Spot didn't see what happened.

He looks around in the cupboards for anything else interesting. He takes 40 gp, 200 sp, then looks at the bandit and puts 50 sp back.  He takes the rose quartz gem stone, and the zircon one.  He takes one of the healing potions, then looks at the bandit and puts it back.  He also takes a blanket and the rope.

Assuming nothing interesting in the cupboards he moves on his way and resists the urge to light up the cottage with firebolt. Then he runs back and takes the lesser healing potion.
GM
 GM, 58 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 01:18
Re: Fleggort
Ok, I am going to do a couple things. I just noticed you don't have detect magic, so:

1) you have detect magic, which is a ritual spell.
2) suggest that you use it
3) let you know that in this world, there are a lot more common and uncommon magical items

If you cast it you find that the mess kit is magical.
Saran Helder
 player, 48 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 01:41
Re: Fleggort
Ok, ritual cast detect magic.
GM
 GM, 59 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 02:17
Re: Fleggort
A magical ward triggered, but the ritual casting of detect magic goes off and blows up the cottage.

Ok.

The mess kit and those potions glow. So does... an earing worn by the bandit.
GM
 GM, 60 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 03:23
Re: Fleggort
I meant jk, not ok.
Saran Helder
 player, 49 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 04:15
Re: Fleggort
OK, I use an action to see what school of magic the mess kit and earring are.
GM
 GM, 61 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 17:31
Re: Fleggort
All three pieces of the mess kit and the earing have transmutation, cup and dish have slight conjuration.
Saran Helder
 player, 50 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 17:56
Re: Fleggort
Saran pushes down several pangs of conscience, and rationalizes that he will put these things to better use than the bandit will, and he's still leaving the bandit more than his agreed upon share of the footlocker.  He puts 50 more silver pieces back, and takes the mess kit and earring (avoiding looking at the bandit as much as possible).

Things he takes:
Mess Kit
Earring
40 gp
100 sp
1 healing potion
rose quartz gemstone
zircon gemstone
blanket
rope

He starts on the road wishing to put as much distance between himself and this mess as possible. (unless you have any more helpful suggestions)
GM
 GM, 62 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 18:39
Re: Fleggort
No. And sorry, I don't mean to railroad.

Do you take the greater healing or the normal healing?

You also gain:

50xp
GM
 GM, 63 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 18:44
Re: Fleggort
OK, you head down the road and several hours later it begins to get dark. You will need to travel about another half of a day before going into the woods to find your destination.
Saran Helder
 player, 51 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 19:28
Re: Fleggort
OK, here is the plan.  Saran goes off the trail in a non obvious place by at least 120' and finds an untraveled area to bed down for the night.  He asks Spot to keep watch as much as possible, but I don't know if familiars need to sleep also.

He ties the two ends of the rope to two things that are at least somewhat sturdy about 5" off the ground where the rope is mostly hidden by underbrush.  He does this between where he beds down and the trail at about 40' from bed area. Idea is that it will be a trip wire for anyone coming from the trail towards him and hopefully wake him up if someone stumbles over it.

After getting settled Saran eats some rations and spends some time figuring out the mess kit and earring, and then goes to sleep, noting to himself to learn the Alarm spell at the next opportunity.
Saran Helder
 player, 52 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 19:29
Re: Fleggort
In reply to GM (msg # 74):

Oh, Saran takes the normal healing potion, thinking the bandit needs the other one more than he does.

And no worries about rail roading.
GM
 GM, 65 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 20:43
Re: Fleggort
Ok, so I think I might enjoy giving out magical items as much as receiving them. We will see if this becomes problematic.

Mess Kit (Uncommon Wondrous Item)

Cup: Creates water within the cup at will. (Requires 1 action)
Dish: Creates gruel at will. (Requires 1 action)
Spoon: You can chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material by stirring with the spoon at will. (Requires 1 action)

Once per day, the entire mess kit is used in conjunction, it creates the effect of the Goodberry and Protection from Poison spells. The dish provides 8 bites, each equivalent to a single berry and drinking the entire contents of the cup confers the protection from poison. Using the mess kit in this way (including the consumption of the meal) takes one minute.

(It has already been used in this manner today)


Earring (Common Wondrous Item, Requires attunement)

When attuned, this earring which appears as a simple one-stone gold setting holding a translucent red garnet grants the wearer +1 to persuasion checks when attuned and worn.

I hope you are writing all this down.
GM
 GM, 66 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 21:10
Re: Fleggort
And add one more thing to the earring, it has the harmonious minor property which means it only requires 1 minute to attune.
GM
 GM, 67 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 22:06
Re: Fleggort
You are startled awake in the night by a *thud* sound. Over toward where you made the trip wire you hear a kind of a personish growl and rustling in the grass. There is a moon in the sky, but you are still considered to be in darkness and cannot see anything.

Spot begins to squawk and hop around.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:07, Thu 28 Sept 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 54 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 22:47
Re: Fleggort
Saran casts minor illusion sound of a bear growling between himself and the trip wire.
Saran Helder
 player, 55 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 23:09
Re: Fleggort
I suppose I still only have one spell slot remaining since I haven't finished my rest.
GM
 GM, 68 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 23:18
Re: Fleggort
Saran Helder:
I suppose I still only have one spell slot remaining since I haven't finished my rest.

I guess that is true.

You hear more rustling, then slow, staggering footsteps moving in your direction.
GM
 GM, 69 posts
Fri 29 Sep 2017
at 17:16
Re: Fleggort
Your minor illusions seems to be ineffective.
Saran Helder
 player, 56 posts
Sat 30 Sep 2017
at 05:06
Re: Fleggort
Saran casts firebolt in the general direction hoping to catch the grass or something on fire to shed some light on the situation.&#128293;
GM
 GM, 70 posts
Sat 30 Sep 2017
at 20:23
Re: Fleggort
The area is instantly illuminated as you cast the spell and you see a zombie about 30' away from you rears its head back and instintually raises its hand up. But it recovers and makes to advance.

Your fire bolt hits the ground and catches a small patch of grass on fire.

You still have movement and bonus action.
Saran Helder
 player, 57 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 05:56
Re: Fleggort
Move away from the zombie and kind of circle around keeping distance, but not straying too far from the location. Why would I have a bonus action?  On next turn firebolt the zombie.
Attack: 9
Damage: 1
GM
 GM, 71 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 16:47
Re: Fleggort
quote:
You can think of your turn being comprised of four parts:

Action
Move
Bonus Action
~~~~
Reaction

Everything you do will fall into one of those categories. A bonus action is more like a type of action rather than just another opportunity to perform one of your normal actions and is therefore pretty narrow. There are a lot of class abilities and spells that are bonus actions. So, in a sense, you always have a bonus action, you just don't always have the opportunity to use it. That is the way I think about it anyway.

I separated reaction from the rest because reactions (typically) happen on someone elses turn and are triggered by external circumstances. An attack of opportunity is an example of a reaction. So is the spell "Shield".

You can break your action, move, and bonus action up however you want. Example:

Move: Get up (uses half your movement)
Action: Cast Fire Bolt
Move: Move 15' away from Zombie.
Bonus action: Cast Expeditious retreat.

I am not suggesting you cast that, it is just a spell that has a casting time of a bonus action that you happen to have. Notice that the spell allows you to take the dash action as a bonus action on your turns.

Another example of play from a duel wielder would be:

Move: Move up 10' to orc 1
Action: Attack action (kills orc 1)
Move: Move 15' to a different orc 2
Bonus action: off-hand attack v orc 2

Then on the orc 2's turn, she attacks then moves away, incurring an attack of opportunity (AoO):

Reaction: Use AoO against fleeing orc 2.

Ok, so you move 15' feet away and the zombie advances 40' (using it's move and its action). There is 5' of space between you and it (note that casting a ranged attack spell at close range is done at disadvantage, but that doesn't apply to you).

When you had cast the fire bolt the previous round, you saw the rotting form of what looked to be a farmer, or other peasant. His clothes were somewhat torn and worse for wear, but otherwise ok. The skin on his face looks stretched and gaunt.

Now that he is close, and the light source behind him, all you see is a shambling silhouette, but you smell the stench of putrid flesh.

You release another fire bolt that anyone of even marginal dexterity would be able to dodge, but the zombie seems to almost lean into it, through it doesn't appear too phased by it. It does, however, re-illuminate the situation, leaving his coat smoldering with small orange flames.

(You can still move and take any other legal actions this turn).
Saran Helder
 player, 58 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 19:37
Re: Fleggort
Ah, I didn't realize expeditious retreat was a bonus action to cast, I was thinking it was a reaction, confused with shield<i> I guess.  That would have been nice to think of, because I was really hoping to stay out of its range.  Also I forgot I had to get up and lose half my movement. Now I feel in a bit of trouble.

Why doesn't disadvantage at close range apply?

Saran still hopes that he can manage to stay out of range of this shambling monster and whittle it down with <i>firebolts
.  He casts expeditious retreat to move and stay well out of range hoping that the likely opportunity of attack will miss or at least won't inflict a death blow...
GM
 GM, 72 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 20:27
Re: Fleggort
My intention was that there was still and open square between you.

You cast expeditious retreat and dash away and move.

I need you to roll a DC 15 perception check (with advantage for alert). If you fail, roll a DC 10 dexterity saving throw with advantage. This is to notice tripping hazards and branches in the (mostly) dark woods.

I haven't found particular rules for this, just shooting from the hip.
Saran Helder
 player, 59 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 20:39
Re: Fleggort
Perception check:18
GM
 GM, 73 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 21:31
Re: Fleggort
Ok, you're good, you move back (up to 60').

The zombie follows you mindlessly up another 40'. It can be up to 25' away from you. The small bit of flames have gone out on its coat, but you can still track a bit of embers where the cloth was singed.

Note: It doesn't have to make a perception/tripping check because it has darkvision.
Saran Helder
 player, 60 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 23:22
Re: Fleggort
Saran continues his tactic of shooting, an moving to stay away from the zombie.

Attack firebolt: 23
Damage: 8

move and bonus dash.  Not moving in a straight line, but kind of circling and staying better than 45' away.
GM
 GM, 74 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 23:35
Re: Fleggort
16:29, Today: GM rolled 5 using 1d20+3.  zombie save v 14.
16:28, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 9 using 1d10.  firebolt dam.
16:28, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 23 using 1d20+5.  Firebolt vs zom.
16:28, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 6 using 1d10.  firebolt dam.
16:27, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 11 using 1d20+5.  Firebolt vs zom.
16:27, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 2 using 1d10.  firebolt dam.
16:27, Today: GM, on behalf of Saran Helder, rolled 20 using 1d20+5.  Firebolt vs zom.

Ok, you continue to circle. Your speed is sufficient to be careful with your steps and as the encounter goes on, you become more familiar with the area, and the zombie itself becomes more of a light source.

It eventually crumples in a heap of burning clothes and charred bone. Spot has settled down on a nearby branch.

Sorry to take over. In retrospect I should have forced more checks and saves, but I am terrified of killing you.
Saran Helder
 player, 61 posts
Tue 3 Oct 2017
at 17:54
Re: Fleggort
Well, even if Saran tripped on a turn, he'd still have 45' of movement, and could probably stay out of reach, right?  And while he could have been killed in one hit, it would be more likely he could survive at least one hit.

Saran wonders if he will be able to get back to sleep after this ordeal. He wonders what time it is, and if zombies typically carry magic items.  Can't hurt to cast detect magic as a ritual, and at least finish a short rest (new day so arcane recovery comes back into play).
GM
 GM, 76 posts
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 23:01
Re: Fleggort
You sense the faint recent passing of necromancy magic on the zombie, and something else. Hanging from the zombie's belt is a small tack hammer that is radiating transmutation magic.

(I was not going to have a magic item, but I rolled a luck check for you for him to have something and you rolled an 18 and then I rolled for individual treasure and you got 4pp, so I made it into a magic item)

The air is filled with the stink of decay, acrid smoke, and the sweet smell of cooked meat.

During your short rest, you ascertain that the hammer can morph into any common hand tool of about the same size. I will say it has a specific repetoire just so I can reserve the right to veto certain things. Just common tools, like: hammer, screw driver, chisel, knife, sickle, small crowbar, etc. No attunement required. Just a command word which is "Whack".

Your short rest turns into a long rest as you become convinced that the night is still early and you are beat from the day's rigors. You wake up amidst a hot, late morning.
Saran Helder
 player, 64 posts
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 23:15
Re: Fleggort
OK, I'm going to request then that the arcane recovery is not used up for the day.  And then get back to the road.

Spot flies up ahead a bit to alert Saran of anything fishy.
GM
 GM, 77 posts
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 23:23
Re: Fleggort
Saran Helder:
OK, I'm going to request then that the arcane recovery is not used up for the day.  And then get back to the road. 

Request granted.

Saran Helder:
Spot flies up ahead a bit to alert Saran of anything fishy.

Spots spots three fish in a tree.

You do not see anything out of the ordinary. There is the road ahead, the road behind. Sparse forests. A farmer a ways of the road. Up ahead you see a slightly worn path in the wild grass that probably lead to the farm. Up ahead the road curves slightly, the continues straight north.
Saran Helder
 player, 65 posts
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 23:25
Re: Fleggort
Saran drinks some water out of the magic cup, then continues on to the location directed by Francis.
Saran Helder
 player, 66 posts
Thu 5 Oct 2017
at 23:26
Re: Fleggort
Oh, I guess I should have said, "Fish in a tree, how can that be?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:27, Thu 05 Oct 2017.

GM
 GM, 78 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 19:29
Skill Challenge
By the way, you gain:

50xp

After half of a day, you get to about where you think you should strike into the woods.

Ok, I want to do something that I have heard on one of the podcasts I listen to called a skill challenge. Here is how it will work. Describe a scene that describes something you do to find the location you are looking for. You have a lot of leeway here to define world elements, like, "I find a river...". The idea is that you use one of your skills to help along your way, so it doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to putting eyes on whatever you are looking for. Maybe it is just to stay safe, sheltered, fed, or to keep from getting lost. So, if you wanted to use athletics, you might say, "I find a very tall tree and climb it to get a better look at the surrounding area to see if I can spot the ruins, or at least to find landmarks to keep from getting lost. Then you roll an athletics check.

I know this goes a little bit against the fast play mindset I pitched, but feel free to add some flavor, like, "So, the day starts to get hot, like really hot despite being in shaded areas. There is a lot of green, wet growth and some low-lying wetlands, so it starts to get humid. In an effort to not get overheated and to cool down I look for some higher ground where there is a breeze and take a rest." Then you roll a survival check.

The DC or any check is 15. If you cast a first level spell, or use some other limited resource (like goodberry), you can have advantage on the roll. You need three successes. If you roll and succeed, go ahead and do another one (go ahead and post the scene and success though so I have the chance to add detail, or whatever).

If you fail, post it and wait and I will give you consequences.

Do whatever you want, but feel free to use skills that you are best at. If you feel like a skill couldn't really apply, just make it work by taking liberties, like, "I remember that Francis mentioned that there were magical ley lines in this area on the map so I look for signs and try to sense the ley lines to better get my bearings and locate the correct place." Arcana check.

I guess the idea is that it is an different game mechanic than combat, and let's you use skills more, and tells us something about how your character uses his strengths to overcome challenges.

Does that make sense?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:29, Fri 06 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 67 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 20:59
Skill Challenge
I think so.  Does casting a ritual spell give advantage, or is the idea that is has to use a limited resource, or does the extra 10 minutes count as using a limited resource?
GM
 GM, 81 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 21:04
Skill Challenge
More of a limited resource thing. Let's say you can do that once.
Saran Helder
 player, 70 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 22:38
Skill Challenge
OK, I think that makes sense.  Saranís best skills are Arcana (+5), History (+5), Investigation (+5), Religion (+5), Medicine (+3), and Nature (+3).

Saran comes to a bend in the path that seems like a good marker to strike off to the location Francis marked on the map.  Saran borrows Spotís keen eyes as he flies up into a tree, but the forest is fairly dense here, so there isnít much to see but more tree tops.

Saran thinks back to the discussion with Francis while stepping cautiously off of the path, looking for signs or clues.  He suggests Spot fly around a bit and make some noise should he see anything.

Francis said the locations were former temples, historical sites, or homes of followers related to Boccob.  The ruins of a temple seem like theyíd be fairly easy to spot even in a forest as dense as this one.  A historical site could be anything.  A home could be anything from an overgrown hovel to a large estate.

Boccobís followers are mostly magic users.  A detect magic spell could be in order.  As Saran finishes the ritual he senses the faint glow of transmutation magic like a haze throughout the woods.  The glow is brightest in the forest canopy.

As Saran gazes into the tree tops the sun comes out from behind a passing cloud.  Saran instinctively looks down to avert his eyes from the sudden brightness when he notices something strange in the shadows cast by the tree tops.  There are symbols or runes of some kind in the shadows.  The transmutation is molding the tree tops and shaping the shadows cast on the forest floor.  Saran tries quickly to decipher the symbols before a cloud blocks the sun again.

Arcana check:16
Saran Helder
 player, 71 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 22:39
Skill Challenge
OOC: Like that?  Do you want me to wait for you, or keep going?
GM
 GM, 83 posts
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 22:53
Skill Challenge
Nice. Yeah, just like that.

Proceed.
GM
 GM, 85 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 00:56
Skill Challenge
Let's just do the one then ;)

Ok, Saran divines through his ritual that he is on the right track and continues on in the direction of the arcane telling. Periodically he sends Spot to scout about.

Looking through Spots keen eyes, Saran eventually sees what appears to be a ruined temple, overgrown by foliage. It looks to be almost completely crumbled from Spot's aerial vantage. Though the underbrush is thick, from can make from the relative flatness and geometry, the outline of a courtyard area in front of the ruins.
Saran Helder
 player, 74 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 23:34
Skill Challenge
Saran proceeds with caution to the courtyard (not how long it took/if detect magic is still active).
GM
 GM, 87 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 23:45
Skill Challenge
You see the ruins you saw from Spot's vantage. You don't see any apparent entrenches, but you see where you think an entrance used to be, but it is pretty crumbled. It is all very overgrown. There are some walls intact, but you can't/couldn't tell if there are roofs, or simply foliage creating a roof.

You do not sense anything magical in the vicinity from where you are standing at the edge of the courtyard.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:46, Tue 10 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 75 posts
Wed 11 Oct 2017
at 19:25
Skill Challenge
get close and investigate ruins.  Look for a good place to put the scrying coin.
GM
 GM, 88 posts
Wed 11 Oct 2017
at 20:10
Skill Challenge
Ok, you approach the ruins, looking at them intently. So, intently that you don't notice that some of the undergrowth was place to cover a hole in the middle of the courtyard, by something that is particularly skilled at setting such traps.

You fall, like a cartoon character dropping into a manhole, down into the ground. Your staff, spanning the hole, caught on the surface and you were almost able to catch yourself from falling with it, but you failed to get a good enough grip and it rolls out of your hand, then flings into the air to land somewhere away from the hole.

You brace yourself for a hard landing, or something worse, like spikes, but you are pleasantly surprised to find that your descent is gently arrested. Then you realize that this is due to the fact that you are held up all around with large, sticky webs.

You see the light from the open hole above you become somewhat obscure by something about as big as a person, but with eight hairy legs. You judge it to be about 20' away.

You are considered grappled (movement 0), but not restrained.

Go ahead and go, you won initiative.
Saran Helder
 player, 76 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 02:48
Skill Challenge
What's below me? Any chance of burning or cutting myself free to go further down?
GM
 GM, 89 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 03:07
Skill Challenge
It is dark, roll a perception check.

Also, you will have to see if cutting/burning will work. To be clear, you are covered in web, like you fell through a lot before being ultimately stopping. It is more like sparse insulation than a net.
Saran Helder
 player, 77 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 21:47
Skill Challenge
perception check: 3; I don't think that's going anywhere.

Saran casts magic missile at the spider (dmg 12).
GM
 GM, 90 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 21:59
Skill Challenge
Saran casts his spell and for a moment the hole you are in is illuminated. You see that it is a cylindrical shaft about 5' wide. The walls are made from cut stone. It is, in all likelihood a well.

The magical darts slam into the giant wolf spider, blasting off legs and blowing a first sized hole in its carapace, all of which rain down on Saran along with hot spider ichor.

Gain:
50xp
Saran Helder
 player, 78 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 22:07
Skill Challenge
gross.

Saran tries to ungrapple himself with his knife.
GM
 GM, 93 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 22:26
Skill Challenge
Saran pulls out his knife and starts hacking away at the web. It takes some doing, but every time he cuts a grouping of webs, he falls a few inches. After a few times, his feet touch soft ground and he is able to cut free of the rest of the web standing on his two feet.

Most all of the web is 'cleared' from the web in the sense that it is either all on Saran, wrapped around the dead spider, or clinging to the walls.

The floor feels to be littered with debris and from the faint light from the well opening, Saran can see lots of bones, and even the tatters of clothes under his feet. Actually, it is less littered with debris as much as Saran is standing on a pile of debris which completely covers whatever floor might be underneath.
Saran Helder
 player, 79 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 23:28
Skill Challenge
If there is any detect magic left Saran see's if there is anything interesting in the pile of bones.  Otherwise he's anxious to get out and attempts to climb, strength/athletics check: 18.
GM
 GM, 94 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 23:52
Skill Challenge
I would say it would be a concentration check to see if you were still holding on to it through the fall as per the last clause in the concentration section of spellcasting. Which you pass. There is a faint emission of acrane energy below you. You find...

A really nice looking unlit torch, evocation magic.

You climb up and on your way you find a passage that the spider climbed out of, which is a man made tunnel that terminates at the well with a railing stone railing. It is too dark to see down the tunnel.
GM
 GM, 95 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 02:29
Skill Challenge
Also 17 silver pieces.
Saran Helder
 player, 80 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 16:52
Skill Challenge
Arcana check to figure out how to light the magical torch: 12

If Saran can get the torch lit he will explore the tunnel.  If the Arcana check fails he will try to light it with a firebolt.
Saran Helder
 player, 81 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 18:19
Skill Challenge
Saran guesses a few command words to get the torch to light.  At lumos the torch lights up with a flame that gives a blueish light, but does not give off heat.  Saran spends a moment brushing off webs bones and spider debris.  He wonders what Spot is thinking and telpathically communicates that he is ok, and looks through Spot eyes to see if anything has changed above ground.

Then peers down the tunnel, and wonders if it looks safe and sturdy enough to explore.
Perception check: 20
GM
 GM, 96 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 18:25
Skill Challenge
Ok, now I have to come with the rest of this dungeon ;)

All is quiet above.

You look down the hall which extends about 20', then you see some more web similar to the web in the well, beyond you see what look like dark colored curtains.
Saran Helder
 player, 82 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 21:24
Skill Challenge
Saran calls Spot down the hole to rest on his shoulder.  He wonders if this would be a good time for a short rest...

He moves cautiously forward, cuts away the webs, and peaks behind the curtains.
GM
 GM, 97 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 22:55
Skill Challenge
You die.

JK, you peak in and see a large room that is 35' wide and 55' long. You wonder to yourself why everything always seems to be in increments of 5' squares. The room looks somewhat like a library, but the bookshelves are not organized in a regular fashion, and they are of varying shapes and sizes. They appear to be mostly empty and what tomes or loosely bound papers you see appear to be mostly rotted away. There are also several, randomly places rotted and destroyed chairs and desks scattered throughout.

The ceiling is 15' high, and in one location down on the other end and to the right, it looks like some stones have fallen. Roots and creepers have grown through here and the furniture below looks to have been destroyed by water damage. There are dark patches on the ceiling as well scattered somewhat close to the rupture. There is also some fungus growing on the wall and floor in that area.

There are doors lining the walls about 15' or so apart, including two on either side of the threshold you are looking through. It appears that each use the same dark curtains for doors. Some are pushed aside. Some are pulled down. Some are covering the doorway, some are completely gone.

You notice movement and see a large rat moving among the shelves, sniffing the air intently. Like a really large rat. Some might even say giant. It is about 20' away from you. It hasn't seemed to have honed in on you, but it is getting increasingly closer.
Saran Helder
 player, 83 posts
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 15:05
Skill Challenge
Saran remembers the smell of burning zombie and wonders if burning rat could smell any worse as he hopes to surprise (??) the rat with a firebolt.

atk: 19
dmg: 3
GM
 GM, 98 posts
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 20:20
Skill Challenge
You blast the R.O.U.S. with a fire bolt. It get ready to charge.


You beat it in initiative.


Go ahead.
Saran Helder
 player, 84 posts
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 15:27
Skill Challenge
Saran attempts a firebolt but gets whomped (natural 1).  He draws his knife (or keeps it out, since I think he had out already) and backs into the tunnel 16 feet (I believe this puts 36' between him and the rat, and 4' between him and the end of the tunnel).
GM
 GM, 99 posts
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 17:55
Skill Challenge
As you cast, still peeking through the curtains, holding them open enough to see and cast through, some bunched up curtain to one side of the opening unfurls in front of you and is blasted by the Fire bolt.

Roll dex save dc 10 or take 2(1d4) fire dam from ignited curtains.

(I am guessing you can get away without a focus, but I think you would need an empty hand to cast (or focus) and then there is the torch. So, you will probably need to choose between 2 of those three things (focus/empty, torch, dagger))

You then move back blinking at the sudden flare of firelight
Saran Helder
 player, 85 posts
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 22:49
Skill Challenge
21 dex check.

Hold knife and torch.
GM
 GM, 100 posts
Sun 15 Oct 2017
at 23:04
Skill Challenge
ok, the rat comes bursting through the curtains and is unable to avoid the fiery debris that was mostly on the tunnel side of the curtain and is singed for another point of damage.

It gets to about 5' past the curtain with it's move then dashes with its action to get right up next to you.

It does indeed smell bad. You are not sure if burnt rat hair smells worse than burned rotted meat.

The fire on the curtain continues to burn, spreading a little more.

EDIT: It looks "Bloodied" (less than half his hp).

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:16, Mon 16 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 86 posts
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 18:44
Skill Challenge
Saran stabs the rat (dice roller says attack roll is 11, but I forgot to add my proficiency, so it should have been a +4 rather than +2, thus 13) dealing 4 dmg.
GM
 GM, 102 posts
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 18:54
Skill Challenge
Saran slays the rat and remains unscathed. The curtain continues to burn, but most of it has dropped away. Some smoke climbs along the ceiling of the tunnel and out through the well, along with smoke that is gathering on the tall cieling of the large room.

Gains 25xp
Saran Helder
 player, 88 posts
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 19:30
Skill Challenge
Saran kicks the rat carcass down the well and wonders if he can get past or perhaps move the burning curtain without getting hurt.
GM
 GM, 105 posts
Mon 16 Oct 2017
at 19:54
Re: Skill Challenge
GM:
You climb up and on your way you find a passage that the spider climbed out of, which is a man made tunnel that terminates at the well with a railing stone railing. It is too dark to see down the tunnel.

So, the way I envisioned this was that the railing is more like a half wall, but let's, but I said railing (in fact, I said it twice, lol), so let's go with that. Saran kicks the rat through the railing and lands with a thud down the dark well with the dead spider.

The curtain is mostly burned away at this point. The webs that Saran had cut away caught fire too and there are a few burning embers on all faces of the mouth of the tunnel where cave moss, lichen, and fine roots were burned.

From the room inside you hear a furious fluttering and just at the reach of your vision, you see a swarm of bats upset by the smoke barreling toward your tunnel.
Saran Helder
 player, 89 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 05:14
Re: Skill Challenge
Rolled initiative 19.

Are these giant bats or some kind of monster bats or something, or just regular bats?
GM
 GM, 106 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 15:41
Re: Skill Challenge
They are a swirling mass of frenzied bats, are otherwise normal. They are what is considered a "swarm" which can be attacked as if a single entity, but they are resistant to normal melee damage and get substantially weaker when they lose half their hp. They also can't benefit from healing or temp hp. When they are defeated, it is more like being scattered than killed. They deal damage by occupying the same square. And I believe that the damage occurs at the beginning of your turn when you start in the same square. They occupy 1 square for the swarm. They have a reach of zero, so when you leave their square they get an aoo.

You go first.
Saran Helder
 player, 90 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 17:22
Re: Skill Challenge
Saran dodges out of the way, hoping the swarm will be more interested in escaping out the well than attacking.
GM
 GM, 107 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 18:15
Bats and rats
The bats swarm around you nipping and biting, though a large portion escape out the well (swarm takes 11 "damage").

(At the beginning of your turn)

The swarm attacks with disadvantage and rolls a 12 (which i think is a hit, right) for 3 damage.

It is your turn, you are occupying the same square as the swarm.
Saran Helder
 player, 91 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 22:14
Bats and rats
Saran disengages the swarm and runs down the tunnel into the larger room.

Note, I think it would be uncharacteristic of bats to follow, but I am not a bat expert, and you are the DM.

Does shield happen automatically, or do I get to choose whether I take it as my reaction?
GM
 GM, 108 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 22:26
Bats and rats
You get to choose after knowing the roll is the way I play it, so you know if it will be wasted or not. Do you have shield. If so, we can retcon that hit away.

You disengage from the bats and move away. The rest of the bats flee out of the well.

You are now in the big room and a swarm of... just kidding. You are in the big room. There are curtains to other rooms lining all the walls.

Take 50xp
Saran Helder
 player, 92 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 22:45
Bats and rats
Saran decides it's a good time to catch his breath and take a short rest. (regaining 7 HP, and 1 spell slot assuming the rest is uninterrupted)

I have shield, but I'll use the hit die to regain the HP rather than using the spell slot.

Also that puts me to level 2.  How do you want to handle leveling?
GM
 GM, 109 posts
Tue 17 Oct 2017
at 23:16
Bats and rats
quote:
Also that puts me to level 2.  How do you want to handle leveling?

Go ahead and level with your short rest. I think it is more typical to wait until the end of an adventure or quest, which maybe we will do later on. Levels 1-3 are the shortest levels to gain, so they are kind of the exception.

You hang out near the entrance of the large room, not wanting to disturb anything while you recover your wits, tend to your light wounds, and put the finishing touches on a couple spells you have been working on. (you will have to take a long rest to prepare different spells)

Inspecting your new torch you come to learn that you can use it to make melee spell attacks, dealing 1d8 fire damage. You use your spell casting modifier to do so. This is not a bludgeoning attack, rather you touch the target with the torch to inflict magical fire damage.

You also see the smoke in the large room sift out through the damaged area of the ceiling.
Saran Helder
 player, 94 posts
Wed 18 Oct 2017
at 22:44
Bats and rats
OK, Saran casts unseen servant as a ritual.  The servant carries the torch and opens the different curtains, while Saran has a firebolt ready should anything jump out.
Saran Helder
 player, 95 posts
Wed 18 Oct 2017
at 22:46
Bats and rats
so He's at a distance from the curtain when it is opened.
GM
 GM, 111 posts
Wed 18 Oct 2017
at 22:56
Bats and rats
What distance? Are you looking straight into the room or are you along the wall?
Saran Helder
 player, 96 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 01:58
Bats and rats
I guess I was imagining being like 12' away, looking straight down the hall.
Saran Helder
 player, 98 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 20:03
Bats and rats
Saran positions himself on the stair side of the book case closest to curtain 1, so that he can see the curtain (half or 3/4 cover or whatever seems reasonable to still be able to see past).  Then has the unseen servant with torch pull back the curtain so he can see what is behind the curtain, with a firebolt ready should anything jump out.
Saran Helder
 player, 99 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 20:10
Bats and rats
Or maybe first he should search the room for anymore rats, bats or boogie things.
GM
 GM, 114 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 21:06
Bats and rats
The main room is clear.

Your unseen servant pulls back the curtain to reveal a mostly empty room. You can see a disheveled bed and a padded moldy chair.

Do you enter?
Saran Helder
 player, 100 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 21:21
Bats and rats
Unseen servant enters first with torch, then Saran enters.
GM
 GM, 115 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 22:02
Bats and rats
Ok, you see the aforementioned accoutrements, as well as a desk with chair and some scattered notes. Next to the bed is a nightstand. There is a painting on the wall of a scene of nymphs, dryads, satyrs, etc. frolicking in the woods, in various states of dress. Everything is very old and dusty.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:08, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 101 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 22:52
Bats and rats
Saran takes 11 minutes to cast detect magic again.  The he searches around the bed, pull off covers and stuff, in and behind nightstand, behind and under drawers, and behind picture.
GM
 GM, 116 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 03:37
Bats and rats
You find a scroll among some arcane notes and half finished formulas on and in the desk. Most of the papers are crumbly and the ink faded, but the scroll is in good condition.

There is a safe type box behind the painting, but it is empty.
Saran Helder
 player, 102 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 05:48
Bats and rats
What kind of scroll is it? Also looks around and under the chair.

Saran takes the scroll.  He exits the smaller room and wanders briefly around the main room to detect any magical aura.  Unseen servant is still following holding the torch.

Next Saran peeks behind curtain 2.
GM
 GM, 117 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 16:32
Searching the dungeon
quote:
What kind of scroll is it? Also looks around and under the chair.

Disguise Self
Saran also finds 3ep and 3sp and 7cp in scattered in and under the chair, like loose change that fell from pockets.

quote:
Saran takes the scroll.  He exits the smaller room and wanders briefly around the main room to detect any magical aura.  Unseen servant is still following holding the torch.

Most of the shelves are empty. It has the look of being cleared out in haste, but among the crumbling papers and rotting tomes Saran finds a number of scrolls:

Cantrips:
Chill Touch
True Strike
Minor Illusion
Prestidigitation

Level 1:
Illusory Script
Chromatic Orb

Level 2:
Misty Step

quote:
Next Saran peeks behind curtain 2.

Nothing happens when the curtain is moved. The unseen servant moves in to no ill effects. You enter and see a smaller room (the last was about 15' by 15'), about 10'x 10'. There is a simple bed and a desk with a wooden chair. There are no papers scattered. The bed is made, but time and neglect has made it dingy and a little moth eaten.
Saran Helder
 player, 103 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 19:45
Searching the dungeon
Saran pockets the coin, and puts the scrolls in his pack.  Then he searches for anything interesting in the room behind curtain 2: bed, desk, chair, floor, walls.
GM
 GM, 118 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 20:02
Searching the dungeon
EDIT: You don't find anything interesting behind curtain #2.

Assuming you repeat the same procedure on the next rooms, you find a similar situation, but you find 19cp in curtain 3, and 9sp in curtain 4. You are nearing the corner of the room that is water damaged and the is more mold and fungus growing on the floor, walls, and bookshelves. The curtain even hangs heavy with mold and fungus, like the curtain has mostly deteriorated and has been replaced by a network of fungus and accumulated dirt and mold.

But it is not so heavy that your unseen servant couldn't push it aside.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 104 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 20:25
Searching the dungeon
any magic aura about the curtain?
GM
 GM, 119 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 20:53
Searching the dungeon
No.
Saran Helder
 player, 105 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 20:58
Searching the dungeon
OK, let's see what's behind moss curtain #4 then.
GM
 GM, 120 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 21:10
Searching the dungeon
The Servant pushes aside the curtain and illuminates the room and your world is full of a high pitched shriek as behind the curtain you see a fungus that has grown to be the height of a man, the stock being about 2' in diameter. There is smaller fungus growing around it, but the large one appears to be the source of the physic attack (it contracted slightly before the shriek and almost seems to be trembling, or is that all of your vision?).

The unseen servant pops out of existence and the torch drops to the floor.

Roll an intelligence save, DC 12.
Fail: 3 damage, disadvantage on next attack roll
Success: No adverse effects.
Saran Helder
 player, 106 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 21:47
Searching the dungeon
Save made (16)

Saran picks up the torch and burninates the fungus (atk 7, dmg 1), and misses with an offhand knife attack (atk natural 1).

This message was last edited by the player at 22:06, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

GM
 GM, 121 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 22:23
Searching the dungeon
Ok, you burn it for 1 damage (AC 5) and swing and miss with the dagger, no ill affect (I like to do counterattacks on a failed luck roll, but it can't attack).

Save again, you get the feeling that the sound is not actually audible, but just in your head.

On a Fail: 3 psychic damage, Disadvantage on next attack roll
Saran Helder
 player, 107 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 22:44
Searching the dungeon
Saran's head begins to ache (failed save), He again tries the torch and the knife, burning the fungus with the torch (atk 10 w/ disadv, dmg 6), and missing (nat 1 again!) with the knife.
GM
 GM, 122 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 22:52
Searching the dungeon
Wow, I feel like there should be some penalty. Like it turns out you have a cursed dagger or something.

What's funny is that it is a hit if it weren't autofail. Maybe that is penalty enough.

OK, same deal.
GM
 GM, 123 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 22:58
Searching the dungeon
Except 4 damage on fail.

remember to add dex and proficiency to dagger att, right.
Saran Helder
 player, 108 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 23:04
Searching the dungeon
ooc: right, I keep forgetting.

Saran refocuses (save 12), and again torches the fungus (atk 14, dmg 1) and slashes with his knife (atk 10 dmg 6)
GM
 GM, 124 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 23:28
Searching the dungeon
You singe it another time, the you plunge your dagger in again that the mental cacophony immediately ceases.

You immediately sense movement behind you and see another fungus which has just crept out of room 6. It's mode of locomotion is a tangle of gray, root-like creepers, that slowly inch it along (Speed 5'). The upper portion is a teardrop-shaped, luminescent, purple mass with irregular holes pocking the entire surface, out from which long tendrils wave in the air. The whole this is about 4' tall and 2.5' wide.

It is in front of the doorway to room 5 (Saran is barely in the room).

Roll initiative.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 109 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 05:05
Searching the dungeon
Rolled 20
GM
 GM, 125 posts
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 00:46
Searching the dungeon
Ok, go ahead and go. Sorry for the delay.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:50, Mon 23 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 110 posts
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 03:59
Searching the dungeon
Saran thinks that it's moving slowly enough that he should be able to stay out of it's reach and firebolt it, if he can put some distance between him and it.

disengage move past out into the big room, then move 15'-20' towards well side of big room.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:25, Mon 23 Oct 2017.

GM
 GM, 133 posts
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 22:53
Searching the dungeon
See text message. I didn't want to make assumptions about your next move.
Saran Helder
 player, 111 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 00:02
Searching the dungeon
firebolt (atk 12, dmg 4) and move back another 15'.
GM
 GM, 135 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 00:18
Searching the dungeon
Ok, you hit it for 4 fire damage.

The fungus gets an AoO on Saran but swings out wild (natural 1, their reach is 10').

You move back.

It moves up 10'.
Saran Helder
 player, 112 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 18:12
Searching the dungeon
Saran is distracted by wondering how the smell of burning fungus compares to burning zombie or burning rat, and misses his next shot with firebolt (nat 1!).  He moves back to curtain 1.
GM
 GM, 136 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 18:49
Searching the dungeon
Saran shoots and moves back. Fungus moves up. (sent you an updated map)

Your turn.

EDIT: Sorry, that is not very interesting. Saran backs away from the glowing mass of fungus, its tentacles whipping about wildly. Saran notices that where the tentacles touch a bookshelf the wood rots away to dust before his eyes. Another tentacle lashes a the leg of the bench next to the wall which withers and breaks causeing a clacker to resound through the room as the bench is toppled. Saran get the feeling that he would fall just as easily if the fungus gets a good hit on him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:54, Tue 24 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 113 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 19:03
Searching the dungeon
Saran reconsecrates, and blasts at the fungus again (atk 22, dmg 8).  Wanting to keep plenty of distance, he moves along the wall to the entrance to the well.
GM
 GM, 137 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 19:39
Searching the dungeon
The fungus advances another 10' and Saran moves a good distance away in the large room. The violent stops lashing about. Instead its tendrils all slowly raise up into the air and very slowly drift about, almost like seagrass in tidal waters. Being silhouetted by the torch left in room 5, the tendrils appear a deep black. The mass itself is mostly obscured by a bookshelf.
Saran Helder
 player, 114 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 20:13
Searching the dungeon
Saran being careful not to get any closer, moves so as to get a clear shot past the bookshelf with another flaming bolt of red hot fire.

atk 11
dmg 8
GM
 GM, 138 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 20:59
Searching the dungeon
Saran lines up a careful shot and blasts the fungus with another searing mote of arcane fire. It burns into the fungus and spreads a blackened-char over the surface of the subterrainian plant. Tendrils fall limply to the floor, then begin to retract to about half their length then stop.

Gain:
50xp (shrieker)
50xp (violet fungus)
Saran Helder
 player, 115 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 19:49
Searching the dungeon
Saran retrieves the torch and take a moment to again catch his breath.  He decides that burnt fungus, while not pleasant, does not smell nearly as bad as burned zombie or rat.  He looks in on the contents of rooms 5 and 6.
GM
 GM, 139 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 22:05
Searching the dungeon
Room 5 is a mess of rotted wood and broken glass. It looks to have at one point been a laboratory/living quarters, but water damage, age, and the pervasive species of fungus have overtaken any of the usefulness any of the equpmentment once may have had. (Assuming) Saran casts detect magic and finds one vial full and still intact. The thick purple liquid inside radiates divination magic. Within the purple substance there is an ovoid cloud of pink liquid.

Room 6 is a similar situation, but it is not a laboratory, it is a more typical dorm room. You find...rolls...19cp.

OOC: I think your total XP should be 425xp, but I could be mistaken. I think when you leveled you should have had 325 by my count.
Saran Helder
 player, 116 posts
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 05:38
Searching the dungeon
I think the last casting of detect magic is still active, unless it's a concentration thing.

I'll take your word on the XP.

How does one figure out what a potion does? Roll arcana check?

Do any other curtains look funguses?
GM
 GM, 140 posts
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 06:11
Searching the dungeon
Well, the taste method gives you an idea. I think that an arcana check on top would tell you what it does. You can also maintain contact with it during a short rest to figure out its nature.

It was only those two curtains that were fungussy.

I think it is concentration which may or may not have broken during the shrieker business. Either way.

You see that the stairway at the end of the room (between 6 and 7) is blocked by debris.
Saran Helder
 player, 117 posts
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 15:11
Searching the dungeon
Saran finds something to toss into curtain 7, standing about 10' back.
GM
 GM, 141 posts
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 16:03
Searching the dungeon
You throw a stone through the curtain... Nothing happens.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:04, Fri 27 Oct 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 118 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 21:06
Searching the dungeon
Saran pulls back curtain 7 to see what is there, ready to strike with the torch if needed.
GM
 GM, 142 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 21:11
Searching the dungeon
It appears to be like rooms 2-4, normal dorms. (assuming you search it) You find nothing magical and... 20cp scattered in the bottom of a desk drawer.
Saran Helder
 player, 119 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 21:15
Searching the dungeon
Saran pockets the copper and continues searching the rooms, pulling back the curtain cautiously and ready to strike anything needed to be stricken.
GM
 GM, 143 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 21:41
Searching the dungeon
So easy to lull you back into security...

Jk, you do not find anything that needs to be stricken. In room 8 (another bedroom) you find... 7sp and in the back left corner you find a secret room, about 4'x6'. It is mostly filled with a bed that is off to one side. Under the bed you find... a woman's gold necklace which you would guess is worth about 50gp.

In room 9, another bedroom, you find... 9sp. You also find a secret door to the same passage with the bed and secret door leading to room 8.

In dorm room 10 you find... 15sp.

In dorm room 11 you find... 1pp wedged behind a drawer. In the back wall you sense a faint aura of divination. It seems to be just behind a certain spot on the wall. The wall looks otherwise normal.
Saran Helder
 player, 120 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 22:09
Searching the dungeon
what are the walls made of?  Is there brick or something Saran could pry out with the knife?
GM
 GM, 144 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 22:15
Searching the dungeon
Stone and mortar.

I will also remind you that you have the farmer's tool.
Saran Helder
 player, 121 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 22:23
Searching the dungeon
Ah yes, what was the word, "Whack!" and it's a chisel, which which Saran chips away at the mortar.
GM
 GM, 145 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 23:16
Searching the dungeon
Ok, you go to work at the stone and find that your hand passes right through. Knowing that it is an illusion you see through the false wall to discover a leather cap.
GM
 GM, 146 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 23:23
Searching the dungeon
You search Room 11 and find... 15gp. There appears to be more personal items here. Moldy books, moth eaten clothes, other nick-knacks. Nothing of particular value.

In room 12 you find a very old, dried-up corpse of a person dressed in a black leather, hooded cloak. The room is larger, and similar to room 1.
Saran Helder
 player, 122 posts
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 04:20
Searching the dungeon
Saran dons the leather cap to see how it fits.  And takes the gold.  The dried up corpse reminds Saran that he hasn't eaten in a while and he takes a couple bites of magic gruel.

Does it look like the debris covering the stairs might be movable?
GM
 GM, 147 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 18:36
Searching the dungeon
OK, sorry, were kind of doing a standard operating procedure situation, which I didn't really apply to this room 12. Assuming you search the body, you find a traveling spell book. I don't have my notes with me, so I can't say what spells are in there for sure, except Knock, Arcane Lock, and Blur. I think Mage Armor, Magic missile, Shield, and Alarm are too.

He has a dagger and a wand (mundane arcane focus). And... 15cp, 37sp, and 18gp. He also has a Healing potion. Everything else besides the leather cloak are in unusable condition.

You detect the magic aura of 1 or 2 active spells in the corner of the room radiating Abjuration and illusion magic.

The room itself has 46sp, 12gp, and 5pp.
Saran Helder
 player, 123 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 19:45
Searching the dungeon
I assume that a spell has to be in my own book (own writing notes, etc.) for me to count it as a spell I can prepare or use as a ritual?

Does the spell book have anything that would help identify its owner?  Anything else that could identify the body?

Take the dagger, leave the wand (no reason to take it, right?). Not sure I want a leather cloak I have to strip off a crusty corpse unless it looks particularly warm or useful.

Any immediate, noticeable effects from putting the cap on?

Saran inspects the corner of the room where the spell auras are.

If there is nothing else Saran next goes back to the stairs to investigate closer.
GM
 GM, 148 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 19:55
Searching the dungeon
I would have to look it up, but I would say an arcana check to learn how to use it as is from another spell book. Dc 10+spell level.

No obvious affects. Arcana check 12 (roll once for each of the two effects) to get an inkling.
Saran Helder
 player, 124 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 20:18
Searching the dungeon
rolled 14 and 10 on arcana checks
GM
 GM, 149 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 20:22
Searching the dungeon
You concentrate with your inner eye and feel like knowledge dealing with the wizardly arts is just outside of your mental reach. You think that if you attune to it you might gain useful arcane insights.
Saran Helder
 player, 125 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 22:07
Searching the dungeon
What about investigating in the corner?
GM
 GM, 150 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 22:43
Searching the dungeon
Feeling along the walls you notice that there is the seem of a doorway being masked by an illusion. You push on it and it moves very slightly. The abjuration magic seems to intensify when you push.
Saran Helder
 player, 126 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 21:29
Searching the dungeon
Saran wonders if perhaps he is pushing against an alarm spell.  Could there possibly be anything left alive that would be alarmed?  Perhaps a lock spell.  He remembers seeing the knock spell as he quickly flipped through the traveling spell, book, but it seems still to be beyond his ability.  Perhaps the old fashioned way?  He gets out the chisel, and "Whack" it becomes a hammer.  He gives the door a good whack with the "whack".
GM
 GM, 151 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 22:13
Searching the dungeon
You give it a good whack. It feels like hitting stone with a hammer, but it feels like you are hitting a stone door rather than an immovable wall. You see a little damage.

(I will need to come up with AC and hitpoints for the stone door. One sec.)
GM
 GM, 152 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 22:27
Searching the dungeon
Here is what I will say. It is a medium, resilient object. So, an AC of 17 and 4d8 hit points (18).

The hammer will do 1d4 damage, but I think you apply a -1 because of strength. I am not sure if this is a rule, but your damage can never be less than 1. I am open to other ideas of how you might damage it, but I don't have anything in mind.

Once you damage it for half its hitpoints (9), a chunk will break off the frame which will make the arcane lock spell not function anymore.

So, it is up to you what you do. If you want to hammer away, go ahead and roll until you deal 9 damage and let me know how many. Or figure it out mathematically, rounding any decimal up.
Saran Helder
 player, 127 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 23:33
Searching the dungeon
Math says it should take about 40 whacks to get to 9 damage.  Did it in an excel spreadsheet and came out 1 round better at 39 whacks.  Doesn't seem too bad.
Saran Helder
 player, 128 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 23:35
Searching the dungeon
Oh, 1 crit miss in the excel sheet too if that matters.
Saran Helder
 player, 129 posts
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 23:44
Searching the dungeon
Oh, I did it wrong the first time (forgot to include minimum damage of 1). Math says about 35 whacks. Spreadsheet was a little behind the average.
GM
 GM, 153 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 03:50
Searching the dungeon
Ok, you chip away at the edge of the secre5 door for a few minutes, taking a couple breaks. At one point a largish chunk breaks away and the spell is broken. The door pushes in hinging on the right side. It open into a small space and continues to rotate past 90 degrees into another adjacent room. (I will draw a picture because it is confusing).

The room is another laboratory type room. You see a dead mage and a sprite who looks dead but perfectly preserved.
Saran Helder
 player, 130 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 21:55
Searching the dungeon
OK, I was waiting for a map or picture.

Saran enters the laboratory and starts to search around.
GM
 GM, 154 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 22:06
Searching the dungeon
You fall into a 40' pit with spikes. Should have waited for map...
JK, yeah, sorry, I have been meaning to, but that was just to explain what I meant by the door.

It looks like a cross between an operating room and an alchemist lab.

There are vials and beakers and those types of things, reasonably intact. There is an operating table with surgical type tools or torture devices.

On the floor is a shriveled corpse of what looks like a mage. Also on the floor, with an empty vial next to him is a sprite. It looks undamaged and healthy except that it is not breathing or moving.

There are books lying around, and papers. Desk. Bookshelf. Chair. A couple crates. Some bones lying around. What do you search? how do you search? Do you re-up detect magic?
Saran Helder
 player, 131 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 22:29
Searching the dungeon
Saran casts detect magix as a ritual.  Search the corpse, the shelves, the papers, the crates,  the desks.  Search by normal means, look in, on, under things, investigate magic auras, etc.  Also take a closer look at the sprite.
Saran Helder
 player, 132 posts
Thu 2 Nov 2017
at 22:30
Searching the dungeon
I also wanted to search behind the door.
GM
 GM, 155 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 04:41
Searching the dungeon
Ok, you find two potions, one radiating necromantic aura and another charm.

You find books of alchemy and necromancy.

The corpse has a magic earring, though it is more like a small nail, like those old-timey t-shaped ones, you know what I mean? It is black and course, though not jagged. It radiates necromantic magic.

You also find 10pp, 25gp, and 50sp, a dark metal ring, and a small bag of cut obsidian stones (qty 7, worth <10gp).

You do not find a spellbook or scrolls.

You sense a faint aura of necromantic magic around the Sprite. You notice that the sprites clothes are somewhat rotted away/disintegrated, but his body appears to be perfectly intact. Almost healthy, if not for the not breathing thing.
Saran Helder
 player, 133 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 19:12
Searching the dungeon
Saran gently pokes the sprite to see if it wakes up or anything.  If nothing happens, he gently picks it up, and thinks he would like to take the little thing with him if he can find some suitable container for it.
GM
 GM, 156 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 19:22
Searching the dungeon
Oh, yes, that is one detail I meant to include, on the floor there is some broken glass which you would guess is from a large jar. It would be perfect for holding a sprite (or a 7up, har, har). You see other similar jars, but they are all being occupied by now-liquefied brains and other body parts, which are probably better left unopened.

When you nudge the Sprite, it stirs slightly, as if in a deep sleep.
Saran Helder
 player, 134 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 20:47
Searching the dungeon
Saran attempts to gently shake the thing and talk to it loudly to see if he gets any more response.  He searches his brain to think if he's heard of any spells or methods that might wake it magically.  (Arcana check: 25 [natural 20]).
GM
 GM, 157 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 21:04
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran Helder:
Saran attempts to gently shake the thing and talk to it loudly to see if he gets any more response.  He searches his brain to think if he's heard of any spells or methods that might wake it magically.  (Arcana check: 25 [natural 20]).

Nice.

You try to wake the sprite. He appears like someone who is heavily sedated, or in a deep sleep. It is strange because as soon as he stops stirring it he appears to be dead.

You think that dipel magic would do it. You also feel fairly confident that Command would, though you are not sure if he would fall back asleep/dead. Some restoritive spell might help. Remove Curse would probably work as well.

If you knew exaclty what spell or effect, you might be able to cancel it out with the 'opposite'.  You know there are spells that make one seem dead, but don't last a long time. You also know that there are spells that preserve dead matter, but are also limited and don't last forever. But anything is possible.

You also surmise that this sprite is indeed dead, in the sense that its body is not functioning. If it were truly undead, it would likely radiate more necromancy. It is almost like it is paused between being alive and being totally dead. It is possible that any healing might do something. It is also possible that using one of the afore mentioned spells to break the magic would cause the sprite to just die.
GM
 GM, 158 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 21:17
Re: Searching the dungeon
It is also possible that if you spend a short rest in physical contact with the sprite you may be able to discern the nature of the magic.
Saran Helder
 player, 135 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 21:43
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran takes everything. Is there a limit on the number of items one can identify in a short rest?
GM
 GM, 159 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 21:45
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran Helder:
Saran takes everything.

Does this include the Sprite?

quote:
Is there a limit on the number of items one can identify in a short rest?

One function of one item, I think. I will check. At the very least I know it is just one item.
GM
 GM, 160 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 00:09
Re: Searching the dungeon
All the properties on one item.
Saran Helder
 player, 136 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 15:20
Re: Searching the dungeon
OK, Saran feels that his back log of items to identify is becoming large enough that he spends a couple of hours to identify the cap and the sprite.  He also does a taste test to identify potions.

Then he wonders what time it might be.
GM
 GM, 161 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 16:55
Re: Searching the dungeon
The leather cap is called the Arcanist's Cap of the Scholar (but you can call it whatever you want). When attuned, you gain a +1 to Arcana and History checks.

The Sprite is under the influence of modified versions of Feign Death, Sleep, Gentle Repose, Spare the Dying, and some unknowns. Basically, he is in a magically induced coma, which, if ended without healing him, will kill him. You suspect that magical healing may nullify most the spells, but not the Sleep spell, at least.

Remind me how many potions you have and where you got them.
Saran Helder
 player, 137 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 20:13
Re: Searching the dungeon
Ok, you'll have to hang on for that one.
GM
 GM, 162 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 20:20
Re: Searching the dungeon
Ok, I got it, you have 3 potions plus the healing potion from the bandit.

Details to follow.
GM
 GM, 163 posts
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 20:24
Re: Searching the dungeon
The one with purple liquid with a pink ovoid cloud is a potion of Read Thoughts. The necromantic one is Feign Death. And the charm one is Sleep.

Then the one from the bandit is Greater Healing, I think.
Saran Helder
 player, 138 posts
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 16:31
Re: Searching the dungeon
OK, yes, Saran takes everything including the sprite. He tries to find something to put the sprite in, but if nothing else at least wraps it in a cloth, not too tightly.  He goes back to the stairs to see if he can move the rubble (strength check: 19 (nat 20)).
Saran Helder
 player, 139 posts
Mon 13 Nov 2017
at 22:31
Re: Searching the dungeon
text thread:
"Which Herculean effort, Saran moves a large stone. He intuits that although it is possible to move the rumble it will take a long time". There is also the hole in the ceiling and the way that saran came in.
"With"
Rubble*

Saran Helder
 player, 140 posts
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 20:07
Re: Searching the dungeon
OK, I take it that the stairs just go back up to the surface then.

Saran sends Spot up the well shaft to have a look see.  And to see how light it still is outside. Assuming coast is clear and that there appears to be some daylight left, he attempts to climb out of the well shaft, strength check 4 (guess he was tired after moving that big rock).

This message was last edited by the player at 20:08, Tue 14 Nov 2017.

GM
 GM, 164 posts
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 23:23
Re: Searching the dungeon
You fall to the bottom of the well and take 4 bludgeoning damage from the fall.

OOC: Now that you are on the bottom of a hole, remind me, did you place the tokens?
Saran Helder
 player, 141 posts
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 23:45
Re: Searching the dungeon
Tokens have not been placed.  If memory serves, there were still some ruins above ground to be explored and I was thinking everything should be explored before deciding the best place for the coin.

Saran is upset to again be among the bones, spider bits, and dead rat. He thinks...

How does being stuck at the bottom of a well work?  Can I just roll until I succeed the DC to climb out? Or now that Iíve failed, is climbing is not an option, and I have to think of another way out?  Or if I roll and fail enough times, falling each time will it kill me?
GM
 GM, 165 posts
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 00:21
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran Helder:
Or if I roll and fail enough times, falling each time will it kill me?

I think this one. You have healing potions, ability to rest, etc. Bad luck may result in resource drain, or maybe you can think of something.

You are 20' down until you get to hole in wall, then another 15 or so to the surface. It is two DC 5 climb checks to get to the tunnel (last time you rolled an 18, which did it all the way, so I am calling a 15+ a double success).

It is another DC 5 climb to go the rest of the way.

I figure that you would be able to brace against the opposite wall to climb the well, and that it is pretty rough stone, hence the low DC.
Saran Helder
 player, 142 posts
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 20:15
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran rests for a moment, thinking if there might be a better way out. Nothing coming immediately to mind, he thinks he could give it another try.  He climbs a little, and comes close to slipping, but figures out how brace himself on the opposite wall and finally climbs out to the surface fairly easily. (rolls 7, 14, 10).

He looks for Spot and for his staff, and tries to determine what time it is.  He tries to locate the blocked off stair well to the room below. He is also careful to try to avoid falling into any more holes.  He then turns his attention to the other ruins.
GM
 GM, 166 posts
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 23:39
Re: Searching the dungeon
Spot is with you and you find your staff (how creepy would it be if it were missing?!).

So, it would be evident to you that the underground structure you were in is directly below the ruins (remember you made it halfway through the courtyard when you fell, the tunnel connecting well and room was 20'). So climbing out of the well, you are about 20' away from the ruins.

You search the ruins and find they are mostly collapsed. You can wriggle into an area that has a bit of a chamber type feel to it, and there is a hole in the ground that is mostly filled with creepers and underbrush. It also has a faint smell of smoke. Pushing aside some leaves, you find that there is a gap large enough for bats to fly through, though you might have to hack away at it a bit for you to fit down, if you wanted.
GM
 GM, 167 posts
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 23:47
Re: Searching the dungeon
Also, I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but the Sprite does not have wings, though it does have slits in its clothes as if to accommodate wings.
Saran Helder
 player, 143 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 05:17
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran casts detect magic as a ritual to see if anything emits a magic aura.  He thinks that unfortunately back in the underground chamber seems a better place for the scrying coin.
GM
 GM, 168 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 17:54
Re: Searching the dungeon
You do not detect anything magical.
Saran Helder
 player, 144 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 21:11
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran wonders if he could just put the scrying coin near the bat hole and leave it at that.  Then he thinks the better of it and decides it's probably safer to spend the night in the chamber below ground anyway. Having climbed the well a number of times now, he feels pretty confident that he won't slip again...

He has a close call (rolled 6), but makes it back down to the chamber (assuming it's the same DC 5).  He then finds a good place, not too conspicuous, to place the arcane mark for the scrying coin.  He sits to study his spells, identify anything he hasn't already (I'll have go through this, I've lost track), and bed down for the night, hoping for an early start back to Neverwinter in the morning.

He also thinks the better of the wand and pockets it.

He also cast alarm around his sleeping spot.
GM
 GM, 169 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 22:33
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran Helder:
He also cast alarm around his sleeping spot.

Do you choose one of the dorms? Which one?

Off the top of my head, there is still the Earring/Nail.
Saran Helder
 player, 145 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 00:22
Re: Searching the dungeon
Yes, sleep in one of the dorms, the cleanest one, that did not contain fungi monster or has a corpse in it.
GM
 GM, 170 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 00:49
Re: Searching the dungeon
Ok, assuming you identify the earring/nail this is what you come up with:

Necronominail (Requires Atunement; Must be worn as piercing)

Grants you the ability to cast False Life at will.
The item also automatically casts Spare the Dying and Feign Death when you drop to 0 hit points.
You then gain 1 hit point after one hour.
Saran Helder
 player, 146 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 01:40
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran thinks he'll have to get his ears pierced. He goes back to check on the corpse that he got the earring from to make sure it's still dead. He shakes the idea that this place could be cursed, and thinks the detect magic spells would have caught that.

Assuming the night passes without incident...

Saran dreams a strange dream... He sees a butterfly dancing in a gentle breeze, at first the butterfly's movements seem random, but as he watches it, he seems to know which way it will go...
(portent rolls 15 and 6)

ooc: I was thinking maybe something happens to the well opening overnight and a skill challenge to get out. Or I could just roll to climb out again. Or if you have something else in mind.
GM
 GM, 171 posts
Tue 21 Nov 2017
at 23:00
Re: Searching the dungeon
Let's just go with a straight roll for climbing. If you can think of something to mitigate it, you can bring that to bear. If you are worried about it, you can even use that 6 from your Portent ability. Seems tailor-made for this situation...

You also have a scroll of misty step, but that would be a waste, imo.

Do you place any more coins? I think you were given several. One in the main room covers most everything of interest, but the larger rooms and the hidden lab might be candidates as well.
Saran Helder
 player, 147 posts
Tue 21 Nov 2017
at 23:33
Re: Searching the dungeon
In reply to GM (msg # 246):

Oh, yes, I thought there was only one coin.  Saran puts a coin in the larger rooms, in the secret lab, and will put one somewhere inconspicuous above ground in the ruins as well.

After placing the coins below Saran climbs out of the well pretty easily, getting used to this climb by now (athletics check: 9).  He spends a few minutes finding a good spot for a coin within the ruins above ground, and makes another arcane mark for a coin.

With Spot scouting up ahead he starts towards the trail back to Neverwinter.
GM
 GM, 172 posts
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 17:16
Re: Searching the dungeon
OK, you climb out without incident after placing the coins. That seemed less skill challengy to me because it was a discrete obstacle that you have overcome before. But you could have potentially done something like thrown bed mattresses down the well to mitigate failure, or tried to jam some furniture in the well to stand on or tied bed sheets or curtains to make a rope, though there may have been some rippage.

Anyway, onward.

You scout about with spot. All seems pretty quiet and you head back. I lost track of time, but I think there is enough fungibility between all the rests and rituals and coin placing that let's just say it can be anything I say. So, I will say that it is still morning. You get to the trail and head down the road south. Up ahead on the road about 300' you see a woman stumbling toward you with her head down.
Saran Helder
 player, 148 posts
Wed 22 Nov 2017
at 20:00
Re: Searching the dungeon
I wasn't concerned with being able to climb out, the DC was pretty low.  I was more just thinking it might be fun to say something like, "You wake up to discover that somehow well has been sealed shut." Then do a skill challenge to figure some way out other than climbing out the well.  Maybe it's a magical elevetor that Saran has to figure out, or figure some way out the top or the stairs, or something.  Anwyay...

Saran lets the woman approach with some caution.  Does she appear injured, distraught, drunk, or hostile as she approaches?  Does she have weapons?  Does she look like a peasant, farmer or commoner type, or more like an adventurer?  Saran holds his staff in one hand and palms his scale in the other.  Assuming she doesn't look very dangerous, once she gets within about 40' he would address her, "Hello there madam, fine morning."
GM
 GM, 173 posts
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 00:29
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran Helder:
Does she appear injured, distraught, drunk, or hostile as she approaches?  Does she have weapons?

She looks maybe injured. She is kind of shuffling and limping, not really looking ahead. She is either powering through or in some kind of daze. She does not appear to have any weapons. You can not determine if she is injured.

Saran Helder:
Does she look like a peasant, farmer or commoner type, or more like an adventurer?

She looks like a peasant/farmer. Her clothes are dirty and torn.

When you hail her, she looks up and you see the dead, yet ravenous stare of a zombie. She reaches out her hands and hisses, beginning to lunge forward.

Roll initiative. She rolled a 17.
Saran Helder
 player, 149 posts
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 07:56
Re: Searching the dungeon
rolled 14 on initiative
GM
 GM, 174 posts
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 20:35
Re: Searching the dungeon
Ok, she lurches forward moving and dashing toward you. Her breath has the fwt8d stench of rotted flesh. She is adjacent to you.
Saran Helder
 player, 150 posts
Sun 26 Nov 2017
at 16:01
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran groans, but is grateful that this is occurring in the daylight this time.  He wonders how close he is to the spot where he encountered the other zombie.  He sees the image of the butterfly and knows that if the zombie takes an attack of opportunity it will miss (use portent 6 roll for zombies AoO if it takes it).

He casts expeditious retreat (bonus action) to put some distance (50') between himself and the zombie, then blasts a firebolt into the zombie (atk 20, dmg 9).
GM
 GM, 175 posts
Sun 26 Nov 2017
at 23:00
Re: Searching the dungeon
Excellent turn. The zonie follows you and it basically at your mercy go ahead an roll a couple attacks. Because of speed action.
Saran Helder
 player, 151 posts
Mon 27 Nov 2017
at 06:24
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran keeps his distance from the zombie and burninates.

firebolt 1: 25 (nat 20)
dmg 1: 12 (crit)
firebolt 2: 16
dmg 2: 6

I think that does it for the zombie, but she has a save to roll.
Saran Helder
 player, 152 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 06:19
Re: Searching the dungeon
text thread:
Based on the saves I rolled for the zombie, and your max damage outputs, you have to hit her 3 more times (last roll was crit fail)


does this mean I need to make 3 more rolls, or that you did it for me and it took three more rolls?
GM
 GM, 176 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 16:35
Re: Searching the dungeon
I have not rolled for you. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion, but if you need more rounds than your spell lasts, then it might matter. You need 3 hits, not 3 rolls.
Saran Helder
 player, 153 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 18:05
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran continues to streak bolts of fire at the zombie as it seems to cling to... un-life.

atk 1: 10
atk 2: 12
atk 3: 16
dmg 1: 5
dmg 2: 9
dmg 3: 1
GM
 GM, 177 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 22:56
Re: Searching the dungeon
Kind of funny that the last attack was minimum damage, but that she rolled a crit fail.

She dies (all the way).
Saran Helder
 player, 154 posts
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 00:40
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran searches the smoldering remains and casts the detective magic as a rich yule.
GM
 GM, 178 posts
Fri 15 Dec 2017
at 17:58
Re: Searching the dungeon
Saran does not find anything of value on the woman, but does see that she has several superficial cuts on her face, neck, hands, and arms.

The cuts are symmetrical from one side to the other, like some kind of pattern of runes. At least, that is how your wizard brain interprets it. It could be artistic in nature, or something else, but it was definitely done with effort and care.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:00, Fri 15 Dec 2017.

Saran Helder
 player, 155 posts
Fri 15 Dec 2017
at 20:58
Re: Searching the dungeon
Can I tell how recently dead the body seems (perception check 16).  Saran tries to interpret the markings with an Arcana check (7).  He sends Spot out to within a 100í radius to see if there is anything suspicious nearby.  Saran uses the remaining time on detect magic to search the nearby vicinity for anything emitting a faint aura.  He makes a mental note of the location and marks is down.  Does he have a map?  Are there any nearby towns or villages marked on the map?

This message was last edited by the player at 04:12, Sat 16 Dec 2017.

GM
 GM, 179 posts
Fri 15 Dec 2017
at 23:39
Re: Searching the dungeon
I think it would be an investigation check rather than a perception check (which makes it a non-natural 20 with your roll). You know that undead tend to decay more slowly, so it is difficult to tell exactly, but she looks freshly dead. You would put her at a couple days to 1 week dead, depending on how long post mortem she was raised as a zombie.

The cuts were likely made post mortem, or just before, since there is zero evidence of healing. You do notice that there is very little to no blood on the clothes near the cuts, despite some of hte cuts being found under the sleeves, etc. Your inpspection of the cuts don't reveal any arcane nature, but you are not an expert on necromancy, so you are not 100% sure.

(Note: if you are wearing and attuned to the magical hat, you can add a +1 misc bonus to Arcana and History. Would not have affected this outcome.)

You send Spot up and take a look around. There is nothing apparent in the area.

I do not think you have a map (but could be mistaken), whether you do or not, there is nothing of note in the area. This is about an hour north of where you encountered the last zombie.
Saran Helder
 player, 156 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 18:16
Re: Fleggort
GM:
Francis copies the portion of the map you will need and you head out of Neverwinter, buying some rations on your way out...


Saran notes the locaion of the zombies on the map.  If there are any towns or villages nearby he would be interested in visiting and asking if they have seen an uptick in the zombie population, or if any of their dead have gone missing.

If there is nothing nearby marked on the map (or if he doesn't know if anything nearby) Saran leaves the zombie where she lays and continues back to Neverwinter.
GM
 GM, 180 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 18:53
Re: Fleggort
If there is nothing nearby marked on the map (or if he doesn't know if anything nearby) Saran leaves the zombie where she lays and continues back to Neverwinter.

There is nothing on the map, but you did pass a cart path or two that run perpendicular to the road. There is one between you and the last zombie that branches off to the right (west).
Saran Helder
 player, 157 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 19:35
Re: Fleggort
Saran goes down the cart path going west with Spot up ahead, alerting to any danger.
Saran Helder
 player, 158 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 22:49
Re: Fleggort
Oh, and Saran draws some of the markings from the zombie on one of the sheets of parchment from his scholar's pack.
GM
 GM, 182 posts
Tue 30 Jan 2018
at 00:15
Re: Fleggort
Saran follows the cart path and about 1/2 mile down the road finds an abandoned looking farmhouse.
Saran Helder
 player, 161 posts
Tue 30 Jan 2018
at 20:37
Re: Fleggort
Have spot look around, perch on window sill see inside if possible. If nothing troubling approach nad knock front door.
GM
 GM, 183 posts
Tue 30 Jan 2018
at 21:21
Re: Fleggort
You do not detect the presence of anyone or anything. The house is humble, but in good repair, with the exception of the door being ajar and slightly off kilter.
Saran Helder
 player, 162 posts
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 18:33
Re: Fleggort
"Hello! Anybody home?"
GM
 GM, 184 posts
Thu 1 Feb 2018
at 20:26
Re: Fleggort
There is no response in the house.
Saran Helder
 player, 163 posts
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 00:26
Re: Fleggort
Cast detect magic and search (but not ransack) house. Look for any markings matching those on the zombie.
GM
 GM, 185 posts
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 23:38
Re: Fleggort
You go in the house and immediately smell blood. The floor is moist with water-thinned-blood. There is a bucket of bloody water on the kitchen table which is also littered with wet and bloody rags, but otherwise cleared.

There is other blood spatter on the cupboards, you also see some torn and bloody women's clothing.

Past the kitchen is a living room with a couple comfortable chairs and a fireplace, it looks mostly undisturbed.

Beyond that is a bedroom. There is blood on the bed, like two people were murdered in bed.

You do not find anything magical.
Saran Helder
 player, 164 posts
Sat 3 Feb 2018
at 01:37
Re: Fleggort
inspect the clothing and see if it matches the zombie Woman.  If Saran can't tell he takes a bit of the cloth to compare later.

Go into bedroom and search in drawers/bureau for anything to identify the owners.
GM
 GM, 186 posts
Sat 3 Feb 2018
at 01:49
Re: Fleggort
You intuit that it is the woman's house and could probably guess that the other zombie came from here too.

Note, the clothes that the zombie had on were not bloody. I think I noted too that the cuts were made postmortem.

Roll an arcana check (remember to add +1 if you are wearing the cap of the scholar and are attuned, which I think you were).

OOC: This isn't necessarily meant to go somewhere, in case you are scratching your head. This is where the zombies came from, but the circumstances aren't necessarily clear.
Saran Helder
 player, 165 posts
Sat 3 Feb 2018
at 02:18
Re: Fleggort
Rolled 8 arcana
GM
 GM, 188 posts
Sat 3 Feb 2018
at 21:17
Re: Fleggort
You discern nothing more.
Saran Helder
 player, 166 posts
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 01:41
Re: Fleggort
Saran goes outside looks for signs of anything strange, how long field or animals have been neglected, tracks, any other buildings that might be searched or offer any clues or point in any direction.
GM
 GM, 190 posts
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 06:12
Re: Fleggort
A few days.
Saran Helder
 player, 167 posts
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 23:17
Re: Fleggort
Nothing else of interest?
Saran Helder
 player, 168 posts
Mon 5 Feb 2018
at 04:52
Re: Fleggort
OK, assuming there is nothing else of interest, and no other roads or anything, Saran notes the place on his map. Saran continues back to Neverwinter with Spot acting as scout.
GM
 GM, 195 posts
Fri 9 Feb 2018
at 23:23
Re: Fleggort
Ok, you head back to town. It is fairly uneventful.

I also want to note that the semi-dead pixie is about a foot tall, in case you were imagining it to be smaller. How do you carry it?

You get back in the evening and it looks like they are about to close the city gates, you are about 100' away. It is dusk.

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posting. I haven't put a lot of mental energy into what's next in this game, and have been distracted by the other game.
Saran Helder
 player, 169 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 00:07
Re: Fleggort
Saran tries to make it into the gates before they close, then goes to see if the guy in the Boccob temple is around.
GM
 GM, 199 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 01:23
Re: Fleggort
You are not noticed and the gates close before you get there.

After they close, a guard on the wall says, "Hark! Who goes?!"
Saran Helder
 player, 170 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 06:33
Re: Fleggort
I forgot about the sprite question.  I guess I thought it was pocket sized.  Saran would just have it's head sticking out of his pack.

in response to guard, "Saran Helder.  I have business at the temple of Boccob."
GM
 GM, 200 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 15:23
Re: Fleggort
"Then you will have to wait for morning when the gates open back up. Sorry, city law. There have been zombies spotted around the city at night, so be careful."
Saran Helder
 player, 171 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 22:34
Re: Fleggort
"Wonderful," Saran says to himself.

He looks at the city wall and tries to determine how hard it might be to climb over without being noticed by the guards. (Can I get a DC on that?)
Saran Helder
 player, 172 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 22:39
Re: Fleggort
Also, does Saran have his ears pierced?  I didn't think that he would, but I've got all these magic earrings...

Are there any holes in the wall the Saran could see through?
GM
 GM, 201 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 23:03
Re: Fleggort
If you don't think Saran has pierced ears, then, by definition, he doesn't.

The walls of Neverwinter are robust, stone walls (remember that it is posted in map Game Map link). There might be murder holes or grates along the wall, but you see none from where you are.

The guard sees your disappointment and says, "Sorry, wish I could help..."
Saran Helder
 player, 173 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 23:26
Re: Fleggort
"Surely you can make a small exception."

Persuasion check 8
Saran Helder
 player, 174 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 23:28
Re: Fleggort
Assuming that the guard isn't persuaded, Saran walks around the wall, looking both for a hole that would possible allow him to see inside the wall, and for a good place to camp for the night.
Saran Helder
 player, 175 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 23:32
Re: Fleggort
looking at the map there are some buildings at the mouth of the river that are outside the walls.  Perhaps one of these buildings is an inn. Saran heads in that direction.  Which gate is he at now?
GM
 GM, 202 posts
Tue 13 Feb 2018
at 23:45
Re: Fleggort
The north-northwest gate. Let's say I noticed that and the Guard told you that you can head over there, but that the land between the wall and the sea can be treacherous, even though it is quite wide ~15'. "Many a drunken sailor has dropped to their doom there. The buildings are mostly inns, storehouses, and shipping businesses. Because ships come in after hours, it is convenient to have them outside the city walls. Be careful at the inns as well, the crowd can be raucous."

+1 Inspiration for good cartography.
Saran Helder
 player, 176 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 00:14
Re: Fleggort
Saran heads over to see if he can find an inn by the mouth of the river.
GM
 GM, 203 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 00:18
Neverwinter
The guard walks along the wall, keeping you in sight. He doesn't appear to be menacing you, just walking like he is doing his rounds, but obviously modulating his pace to stay near.
GM
 GM, 204 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 00:36
Neverwinter
If you do not interact with him, you get around the wall without much issue. The space between wall and ledge is slightly sloped and wet with sea spray. It is mostly large bare stones, but you navigate it without falling (no roll).

You see a couple buildings with the lights on and hear music and loud laughter. There are a few sailors still toiling on ships by lamplight, either unloading the last of the day's cargo or getting the ship ready to sail at first light.
Saran Helder
 player, 177 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 19:29
Neverwinter
Saran pays little heed to the guard and expects he is just being catious as a guard should be.
 Saran attempts to find room and board at a reasonable looking (not too expensive, not too shoddy) inn.
GM
 GM, 206 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 23:43
Neverwinter
Saran skips over the first tavern/inn he sees in favor of one closer to the city gates. It appears that the former is where the sailors go and the latter is where travelers and senior crew members stay when they dock after hours.

Despite being more upscale, it is still a bit of a dive. There is a small stage with a colorfully dressed half-elf playing a lute and singing a suggestive, but pg-13, seafarer's song. Some of the patrons are singing along. The clientele is mostly men, a few with busty women sitting on their knee. The common room is well lit with candles and lamps, even though it is not fully dark out, but the windows are shuttered so very little of the waning light filters in anyway.

The side of the room opposite the stage is a bit more quiet, with a few people already taking an evening supper.

OOC: I just reread you last post and realized that maybe you want to skip to morning. That is fine if you do.
Saran Helder
 player, 178 posts
Thu 15 Feb 2018
at 00:46
Neverwinter
Fine to skip to morning or play out the inn if there is something to be played out.  However, Saran isn't really looking for anything but a warm bed and meal at this point.  He would gravitate toward the quieter supper end of room.
Saran Helder
 player, 179 posts
Fri 16 Feb 2018
at 17:40
Neverwinter
If anyone asks about the sprite poking out of his pack he claims it to be a "play thing"
GM
 GM, 224 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 18:41
Re: Neverwinter
Saran Helder:
If anyone asks about the sprite poking out of his pack he claims it to be a "play thing"

Thereby characterizing it in the creepiest way possible. Unless you want the Sprite to be showing, it's not.

The innkeeper, who has seen all kinds, at first insists that there is a more suitable place for you down the way, considering your state of filthiness.  Assuming you stay, he informs you that he will have a bath drawn up and have your clothes cleaned (he employs a hedge mage that prestidigitates things for a small fee).

You pass the evening by quietly. It costs 1gp, 2sp for a hot bath, 1sp to have your clothes cleaned.

In the morning you go to the Library/Temple. It is as it was before. You go through the same routine of signing in and go up to see... Francis (had to go back and read that whole part).

When Francis sees you, he gives a quick clap, "The hero has returned! Please don't take that as jest and I hope you don't think me voyeuristic, but I have had quite the time watching your adventures. Some good fair bit of cleverness there!" He shakes his head, "There was quite a lot that I missed. I turned off the scrying apparatus when there were others in the room. I don't wish to turn your adventures into a sport for others. And to be honest there is a fair bit of walking and waiting I see, punctuated by intense danger!" he pauses for a second then says, "I noticed a couple times when I checked in, that you were off the path, in one small cottage or another, and perhaps there was some violence done. Your business is your own, and I have judged you to be reliable, but I can't help being curious about who that bloodied man was on the floor, and... well, the scene of blood in the kitchen of that farmhouse. You must understand, I must not become entangled with someone who is involved in... illicit behavior.

"And please, if you have any questions for me, I have many thoughts about what you saw in the ruins."
Saran Helder
 player, 180 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 19:36
Re: Neverwinter
OK, I subtracted 1 gp and 2 sp from my character sheet inventory.

ďIndeed quite an adventure.  I believe I learned quite a bit, and have some studying to do now.  The man in the cottage was quite an unfortunate and regrettable incident indeed, and I am embarrassed that you saw it, but I believe he will recover without any permanent harm.  I am reluctant to recall it, and while it could have possibly been handled better, I donít believe I was too far in the wrong on the matter.

The farmhouse is another matter altogether, and one which I wish to ask you about.  I believe there may be a necromancer at work.  I found these markings on a zombie who attacked me along the road.
Saran gets the copied markings from his pack and shows Francis. My studies have not focused on necromancy, and I canít decipher any meaning from these.  I was attacked in the same location by zombies previously.  I thought I should investigate and warn anyone nearby that something may be afoot.  That is when I found the farmhouse in the state in which you saw it, and similar markings I found there also, along with scraps of clothing that matched those on the zombie.  It is one of the matters I planned to study while back in town, and any insights you may have would be welcome indeed.

As to the ruins, I am very interested in your thoughts, and my prime interest is this specimen.Ē
  Saran pulls out the sprite and shows it to Fancis.
Saran Helder
 player, 181 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 19:43
Re: Neverwinter
The night before, while sleeping in the inn, Saran sees a similar dream of two blue butterflies fluttering randomly on the breeze, and gradually their movements becoming regular and predictable.

Portent dice for the day: 16, 17
GM
 GM, 227 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 21:39
Re: Neverwinter
Saran Helder:
The farmhouse is another matter altogether, and one which I wish to ask you about.  I believe there may be a necromancer at work.  I found these markings on a zombie who attacked me along the road.</red> Saran gets the copied markings from his pack and shows Francis. <red>My studies have not focused on necromancy, and I canít decipher any meaning from these.  I was attacked in the same location by zombies previously.  I thought I should investigate and warn anyone nearby that something may be afoot.  That is when I found the farmhouse in the state in which you saw it, and similar markings I found there also, along with scraps of clothing that matched those on the zombie.  It is one of the matters I planned to study while back in town, and any insights you may have would be welcome indeed.

Francis looks at the drawings of the markings and frowns, "I do not recognize them either. I think I would recognize almost any ancane sigils, so I am not convinced that is what they are, but I could be wrong. If I were to make a guess, they seem almost artistic in nature, though there is a lot of crossover between sigils & runes with art. Meaning that practioners often put thier own artistic flurishes on the characters of power. Sometimes serendipity strikes and new magics are uncovered in such ways. In any case, we can probably find someone here who might know more.

"The idea of a rogue necromancer is disconcerting, while at the same time all too common. Every once in awhile one pops up to wreak havoc on simple folk, or to desecrate their corpses.


"You said you found these on the zombie? You also said that you were attacked previously by zombies in that area. How many total? Please describe them and your encounters."

OOC: We'll get to the sprite in a minute after the zombies.
Saran Helder
 player, 182 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 23:01
Re: Neverwinter
ďTwo zombies total, one male, one female.  I might presume the master and mistress of that farmhouse, but that is a supposition.  Perhaps the zombies ate the master and mistress. Saran shudders.  The first encounter occurred during the night on my way to the ruin.  The second a day later on my way back from the ruin, but in the daylight.  The bodies seemed only a few days deceased and were not excessively decayed.  The markings were cut into the flesh of the female body on the face, neck, hands and arms, symmetrical from one side to the other.  I didnít notice markings on the first, although it was dark and I may not have looked as closely.  The city guard also made mention of zombies on my arrival to Neverwinter last night.Ē
GM
 GM, 231 posts
Fri 23 Feb 2018
at 00:29
Re: Neverwinter

"I think you are right to suppose they were the owners of the house, or similar nearby dwellings. My initial thought was that the cuts were perhaps an arcane or fiendish rite to animate the dead, or some similar such experiment. That is the issue I was alluding to, necromancers experiment like any other arcanist, but the subjects of their tests are not as readily available. Experimenting on the dead is taboo to most people. Records of such texts are often illegal. So some necromancers resort to producing their own test subjects.

"Like I said, that was my initial thought. The fact that it was only the woman who was cut up, it may be you every day run of the mill sociopathic mutilation. No less grisly. Perhaps more so even.

"Whether it was for necromantic purposes or not, I will make the supposition that the perpetrator enjoys the ritual, or is otherwise fastidious. The woman's body was cut up on the table, based on what I saw, and it looked like the necromancer cleaned up the blood either during or afterward. Was the woman's clothes covered in blood and are you sure the cuts were only where you described? I would bet that there were more cuts on her body, which was then cleaned, then re-dressed. To what purpose? your guess is as good as mine."


quote:
As to the ruins, I am very interested in your thoughts, and my prime interest is this specimen.  Saran pulls out the sprite and shows it to Fancis.


"Ah yes, let's have a look." He casts detect magic, "I believe you did this already, but..." he inspects the sprite for a few moments.

He begins to chants softly with his hands pressed together and light begins to emanate from where they touch. He separates his hands and gently presses them to the Sprite. You recognize this as divine magic. You see color and vibrance enter the sprite's complexion, then he wakes with a start and immediately starts coughing and wheezing.
Saran Helder
 player, 183 posts
Fri 23 Feb 2018
at 21:01
Re: Neverwinter
Saran looks on with amazement and waits expectantly for the sprite to say something.  If it says nothing Saran asks it what it's name is, and how it's feeling.
GM
 GM, 238 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 00:06
Re: Neverwinter
The old man gets the Sprite some water which it drinks then coughs and wheezes, losing most of it. After a couple times he is able to drink. "Slowly now," Francis says, "You feel like you want to gulp, but you won't hold it that way."

The Sprite replies to you by saying, "My name?" You see him searching his memory. "My name is..." He frowns, "I don't remember my name, which is a strange thing for a sprite, I know. I know I am a Nevernot."

Francis draws out a piece of parchment and starts scribbling, "excuse me, did you just say, 'Never-Not'?"

"No, not a Never-Not, an Ever-not."

"Ah, I see, Ever like always, and Not, as to negate, like Not-Ever, or Never. Or is it Naught, like Always-Nothing?"

"Neither of those, 'Ever', that is correct, but not a negation, and not nothing, but naut, as it pertains to seafaring, but used more generally like, like an astralnaut who travels the astral plane."

"Ah, so like you are always travel faring across... what?"

"Everywhere. Anywhere. But, Nevernot works too, for being an Evernaut means to never expire, and if one is destroyed, they will return."

Francis scribbles furiously on his paper, while the sprite sips tiny sips of water.

OOC: Sorry to use Francis as a foil for that conversation. I really wanted it to happen, but I don't think it ever could through text and without prompting, or scripting.
Saran Helder
 player, 184 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 19:55
Re: Neverwinter
"Or like one who travels faring through the Ever, or through time itself or something...Fascinating! Do you know where I found you, or what you can last remember? I think it was a dormitory and laboratory of sorts if it helps to bring anything to memory"

OOC: Quite clever, I am sincerely impressed, and that is cool.  I think I would probably have taken Nevernot at face value for granted and moved on from there, so I'm glad you did it how you did.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:56, Wed 21 Mar 2018.

GM
 GM, 242 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 21:47
Re: Neverwinter
The Evernaut shudders.

It sounds to me that you found me in the place of my last remembrance which was a dark and gruesome laboratory, though it might be better named a chamber of horrors. A dark wizard there carried out foul experiments in which I was made to participate.

He reaches behind his back and runs his fingers where wings should be, then begins to sob softly.

After a few moments he recovers.

He... took, my wings and used them in foul brews, to what ends, I do not know. For a long while he kept me, in a large jar, forcing me to drink experimental potions and noting the effects. It is a wonder I did not die.

The wizard was quite most of the time, but he would sometimes mutter to himself, or curse his fellow scholars. I puzzled out a few things. This lab was secret and his activities would not have been accepted. Also, there came a time when the rest of the people living in whatever complex we were in, I never saw anything outside of the  lab, evacuated. The wizard was gleeful. He hid himself there while they left. I don't know why the rest left. After that he began bringing creatures, anything from beasts, to elves, humans, a halfling, and others, to the lab and torturing them, operating on them, animating them after death, and so on. I longed for death, despite the costs.

I awoke one day to a great ruckus going on outside of the room, I believe it was a wizard's duel. The wizard rushed in and shut the door laughing about how "That fool will soon be dead and I can get on with it!" When he tried to leave the room after what he deemed to be long enough, he was not able to. Not even through magic could he open the door, cackling about how clever it was to seal the outer portal. He was himself injured and possibly mad.

After a few days he gave in to thirst.

I managed to knock my jar off the shelf and found myself in the same desperate situation, though I am not constrained by most physical needs of mortals. It is my dark blessing. I could not escape, but was not a novice to potion-making. My time in his lab had even taught me more secrets of the craft, which I must begrudgingly admit. I concocted a sleep drought so I could pass within a dreamless sleep however long was needed to be discovered or rescued, or be killed by some means.

I expected to either wake again in that place of death, or back in the Feywild, which is the place of my eternal rebirth, I was not expecting to find myself here...

In fact, where am I? And yes, Ever is unbounded by time. The others of my kind see ongoing life to be an extension of time to explore spacial vastness. I ponder whether I will find myself once more at the beginning or if we all move always forward.


Francis nods bemusedly.
Saran Helder
 player, 185 posts
Thu 22 Mar 2018
at 18:04
Re: Neverwinter
"Yes, I found two corpses there, one within the sealed room where you were, and one without.  Both appeared to have been magic users.  I am sorry for the trials you have endured, and though currently of humble means, I will try to help you if I am able.  You are now in the Temple of Boccob, in the city of Neverwinter, and it is the year ___ of ___.  Can you estimate how long you were trapped?"
GM
 GM, 244 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 23:09
Re: Neverwinter
"I am not familiar with timekeeping on this plane, and the passage of time in the feywild is not some that is consistent nor do we pay it much mind. I have heard that there is not a lot of congruity between the two planes either. "

Francis nods his agreement to the last assertion.

Francis asks to inspect the sprite's wing injuries, which he does, then he exclaims that it is as if they were never there. Does some minor magicking and explains that he doesn't understand it, but that there is nothing to restore. It would be like restoring wings onto a human. Then he expresses his regret to the sprite.

He asks to learn more about what an Evernaut is.

The sprite explains that it is a divine blessing bestowed by the Seelie court upon a select few for special services. It allows them to travel more easily between the planes and if they die, they will reform back in the Feywild, at the place of the blessing. He will retain much of his skills and identity, but will forget anything that happened outside of the feywild. The last time he reformed he was accused of high crimes against the throne and sentenced to eternal imprisonment. He escaped, but he knows if he reforms there again he will be imprisoned. He doesn't know what his crime was or if he committed it. His goal was to find those things out, but was captured by the dark wizard. He was on his was to the mountains of Yath believing that it was near there that he last died.

Francis quirks an eyebrow then fetches an atlas, flipping through the pages. He surmised that due to the nomenclature of Yath and the information he has of the Boccob temple you went to, that the Sprite was down there for 60+ years.
Saran Helder
 player, 186 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2018
at 21:37
Re: Neverwinter
ooc: I already posted, but it didn't work somehow.  This upsets me a little. Now I have to remember what I already typed up.

"Well I was about to ask why you didn't just commit suicide to be reformed in the Feywild, but I see that you are in quite a predicament.  Would your wings come back if you were reformed? 60 years is not so long that you wouldn't remember the city of Neverwinter, so at least you have some idea of where you are now.

Francis, could you point out the Yath mountains on my map? Perhaps if there is another scrying location near there I could accompany the Evernaut.  What is it we should call you Evernaut?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 21:37, Sat 24 Mar 2018.

GM
 GM, 248 posts
Fri 30 Mar 2018
at 21:32
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, Yath was just a word that came to mind which I used as a placeholder, as such...

Francis tells you that is an alternate name used by orcs for the Lost Peaks in the High Forest (see map). He describes the High Forest as mostly untamed wilderness with a lot of sylvan creatures, reclusive wood elves, and Boccob knows what else.

He tells you that is a site of interest at Lothen, City of the Silver Spires, a once great city marking the the southern border of Siluvanede which was a sun elf kingdom. It was the center of study and knowledge of the kingdom. It is now ancient ruins. It is located near the foothills of the Lost Peaks along the southern border of the Dessarin River whose headwaters are formed from the Lost Peaks.

The sprite tells you that you can call him Sevinnuhb.

Francis hands you a familiar envelope containing the deed. I compared it to other documents of the region and it appears to be authentic. I believe it to be penned by someone bearing a close familial kinship to you, then signed by someone else, presumably an official. The divinations did not reveal a sense of deceit about it.

It is near heresy to recommend destroying any record, and may be illegal in that country, but more prudent men might suggest that. I am not sure I would be able to let go of the mystery if it were me. You might be able to sell in on the black market, but dealings there often prove fatal if you are not already woven into the fabric.

Saran Helder
 player, 187 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2018
at 16:02
Re: Neverwinter
Was there another location I already committed to visit?  I was under the impression that there was one near Neverwinter, and one near Luskan.
GM
 GM, 253 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2018
at 16:19
Re: Neverwinter
That is correct. But he went ahead with the deed business anyway. You are free to pursue any or none.
Saran Helder
 player, 188 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2018
at 17:10
Re: Neverwinter
Saran takes the deed back from Francis.

"Thank you very much.  I shall keep it closely guarded until I have determined what to do with it. I believe I am already committed to place scrying coins near my home in Luskan.  I may need to visit there anyway.  If I may use the library, I would also like to take some time for study, and to get some supplies.

Sevinnuhb, it is a little less than a 10 days travel to Luskan.  I would be ready to travel with you to the Lost Peaks in about a month if you like.  You may wait for me here, or I would be happy of the company if would care to travel with me to Luskin.  Of course you are free to set out on your own if you prefer, to which I take no offense, and will wish you safety and success on your journey."


Saran would like to study/copy the spells that he can from the spell book he found, add some others as well (list to come, will need to sell some gems I think), and research the markings from the zombies.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:23, Tue 03 Apr 2018.

Saran Helder
 player, 189 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2018
at 22:32
Re: Neverwinter
OK, as I understand it, I have to copy the spells from the other spell book in my own shorthand to be able to prepare and use them.  I can also only copy spells for which I have slots.  That means the only useful spell in the book for me right now is Mage Armor.

Assuming there are enough resources in the library that I can basically get a hold of any spell I want, I put the following down in my spellbook. I get divination spells for half price.

spellcosttime
Identify25 gp + 100 gp pearl1 hr
comprehend languages25 gp1 hr
feather fall50 gp2 hr

If I don't have any spell at my disposal to learn, then I'll copy over the Mage Armor spell from the traveling spellbook I found for 50 gp and 2 hours.

Do I need to roll anything for researching the zombie markings?

Hold on though.  I'm now thinking about supplies I might need.  But I don't think I need any... What about traveling with a group or wagon train or something to Luskan.  How much might that cost?
GM
 GM, 254 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2018
at 00:10
Re: Neverwinter
I am going to make a ruling here. You are not required to transcribe a spell in order to learn it and use it in the future. So, you can learn a spell from another spellbook and prepare it (or ritual cast it) using that spellbook.

For cost, it will be the total normal amount to learn and copy, minus the amount it would take to copy one of your own spells into a new spell book:

2 hours; 50gp - 1 hour; 10gp

So, you can learn a spell from another spellbook (and sunsequently prepare it using that spellbook) by spending 1 hr and 40gp.

Also, I believe you have some scrolls which you can choose to copy into a spellbook.

Disguise Self(1st), Chill Touch(C), True Strike(C), Minor Illusion(C), Prestidigitation(C), Illusory Script(1st), Chromatic Orb(1st), Misty Step(2nd)

I like the idea of being able to have cantrips in a spell book, afterall, they exist as scrolls, but I have to think more about the balance of them. Cantrips are really useful, hence they are very limited for each class. I think I will either make them copyable into spellbooks and they can take up one of your allotted number of spells you can prepare (if you prepare it), and require a spell slot to cast. So, basically treat it like a level one spell. That might be too steep though... I will have to think about it. Maybe they are only castable by scroll, so you can copy it onto a scroll (for some nominal amount) then you can cast them that way. What's your take?

You can copy those spells from Francis for 25gp each, which he tells you is the minimum that the Library allows them to share spells for, "Or rather, that is the amount I must pass on to them when such services are rendered for spells of the first order. Any less and I would either be paying out of my own pocket, or robbing Boccob!" He tells you that most mages in the library charge 50gp for common 1st level spells, and 100gp for the rarer sort. Other mages simply don't have interest in it, or charge much higher prices, either out of hubris for their particular notation of the spells, or just to deflect people.

Sevinnuhb says, "I think I can trust you. Let's make a deal, I will help you on your travels, and you will help me clear my name."

Francis grins and says, "One would think that after what Saran did for you, that you owe him a debt. But I know that is not your way. Faerie: always the dealmakers!" Then Francis laughs as Sevinnuhb looks slightly confused.

Sevinnuhb is fine with waiting for you. He inquires of Francis where he might read some books about potion-making and where he might learn about restoring his wings.

Francis tells you that, although he doesn't know exactly what you will find at any of the locations, he suspects that the Lost Peaks area is significantly more dangerous.

Roll an investigation check about the markings.

You will have to make a couple rolls to find out about wagon travel people. An investigation check, then a Persuasion check to see if/when and how much.
GM
 GM, 255 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2018
at 00:17
Re: Neverwinter
I may have missed it, but you may have forgotten to put the Scholar's Cap (I believe I called it) on your inventory.
Saran Helder
 player, 190 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2018
at 20:54
Re: Neverwinter
Looks like I did miss the cap, but it has now been added.  Can you remind me what needs to be attuned to?  I can only attune to 3 things at once, right?

For cantrips from the spellbook.  I feel like Iím a bit too tired to think well right now, but it seems like taking a spell slot is costly enough to me, without also having to have it prepared.  Maybe you have to read it which takes an action and a bonus action, and it takes a level 1 spell slot.  Having to have it take up space on your prepared spell list seems to me costly enough that it will just never happen. But anything less than a 1st level spell slot is probably too cheap.

Also the existence of scrolls seems odd to me.  They seem pretty costly to make.  Someone who can make one can already cast the spell, so thereís little incentive to make one for oneself.  The cost involved in making one seems prohibitive enough that not many people would want to buy one either.  Probably cheaper to just higher the spell caster in most cases.  And in order to use it very well you have to kind of already be at a point where you could pretty much cast it anyway.  Why would anyone ever make a spell scroll?

So basically any 1st level spell for 25 gp?  Let me think about that...

And some rolls.
Investigation roll for zombie markings research: 20 (modified)
Investigation roll for wagon training: 23
Persuasion for wagoneering: 5
GM
 GM, 259 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 00:39
Re: Neverwinter
Scrolls
The straight book values are:

0: 25 - 50
1: 25 - 50
2: 51 - 250
3: 51 - 250
4: 251 - 2,500
5: 251 - 2,500
6: 2,501 - 25,000
7: 2,501 - 25,000
8: 2,501 - 25,000
9: 25,001 - 50,000

I would tweak these to make it more of a nice curve. I would agree the prices are steep. I would guess that when you compare them either to the cost of similar wands, staffs, other magical devices, or just hiring spellcasting, it becomes even more ridiculous. The Rarity of scrolls should probably be moved down a step, in my opinion. That would go a long way fixing the prices.

If you got a really good deal on a scroll of Fireball (50gp) that would be worth it. The wish spell states that you can wish for an object that is worth 25,000gp, which is the low end cost of the scroll. There are some other serious potential drawbacks of casting Wish, though, so the scroll would be quite a bit more expensive.

The worth of scrolls is that you can cast them above your allotted slots, which is pretty big. Also that you don't have to prepare those spells. Also that you can cast about your level. It is flexibility you are paying for. Let's say a group of level 1 adventurers finds a cave with 10 Bugbears in it. How much would it be worth to buy a scroll of fireball which would incinerate many of them of them with average damage and leave the rest easy to finish off (for the sake of argument, this is our party from Questland and the scroll reading check is bolstered by guidance and bardic inspiration). That ends up being 2,000xp. I'd pay 250gp for that.

As far as who would make them, I would say that the typical dnd economics should apply that making the scroll costs half as much as the sale value.

I'll have to think more about cantrips. I think casting it out of a spellbook seems reasonable with a spell slot. It may still be too steep though.

What if you had to prepare it, but you could cast it at will?

The Cap and Earring require attunement. The Earring has the harmonious property though, so it only takes 1 minute to attune.
Saran Helder
 player, 191 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 19:30
Re: Neverwinter
GM:
What if you had to prepare it, but you could cast it at will?


That might be a fair trade.  That actually seems pretty good to me.  I think it makes a lot of sense, common sense wise.  It doesn't seem too unbalanced to me, but I could maybe see some arguments there.

GM:
The Cap and Earring require attunement. The Earring has the harmonious property though, so it only takes 1 minute to attune.


That is another thing Saran will do while in town.  Though he doesn't fancy the aesthetic of it, he would get his ears pierced to gain the benefit.  Attune to both.  Doesn't always wear the cap, but puts it on when he needs the benefit, and sometimes just to wear it.
Saran Helder
 player, 192 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 19:35
Re: Neverwinter
Also if he would do the earring thing before the persuasion check, so that makes it a 6 instead of a 5... Or for a reroll that would be... uhhh 3...

And I think both earrings require attunement, so I think the two earrings and the cap puts Saran at his attunement limit.
GM
 GM, 260 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 19:39
Re: Neverwinter
Yeah, I forgot about the Nerconominail.
Saran Helder
 player, 193 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 19:57
Re: Neverwinter
Saran Helder:
GM:
What if you had to prepare it, but you could cast it at will?


That might be a fair trade.  That actually seems pretty good to me.  I think it makes a lot of sense, common sense wise.  It doesn't seem too unbalanced to me, but I could maybe see some arguments there.


Maybe something like you can only prepare one extra cantrip or something though.  I dunno seems like a tricky problem.  I'd be okay if you want to try something and then say later that it isn't working and take it away or change it.
GM
 GM, 261 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 22:40
Re: Neverwinter
Or maybe you can just switch out your cantrips. This makes the most sense to me, so you always have the number of cantrips available to use as per your class, but they can change. It is definitely an increase to power, but I think it is one that makes sense. I will have to think more.
GM
 GM, 265 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2018
at 02:27
Re: Neverwinter
You determine that the markings are some stylized version of Aklo, the language of the dead. There isn't enough research about it here to begin to decipher it... Though I suppose it could be done with magic... I would say that because it is a copy of the original text, and because it is more like random runes instead of full expressions, you can read it. Francis suggests that it could be that it is not meant to be terms, but rather the script of Aklo could be more so a hieroglyphic type language, so the symbols are meant to be their own disconnected representations, rather than to convey any message.

You find a wagon train going to Luskan, right at the right time, but the leader of the company says,

"Sorry, Chap, I don't know you and ya have no bonafides. I hire guards to protect us from strangers. I don't welcome them along."

He offers a small pause out of politeness, but if you let it lapse the conversation will be over and he will turn away.
Saran Helder
 player, 194 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 17:08
Re: Neverwinter
In reply to GM (msg # 329):

"Sir, that is certainly reasonable and, and I must respect your discretion. I realize that taking me into the party incurs a small, but significant risk.  However, I would be willing to compensate commensurate to that small added risk, and I give you my word that I will do my best to see us safely to our destination."

I also have a 17 and 16 portent that I might apply here if it would be helpful.  I think as a character it is only prudent to seek safer passage with a group, but as a player I am wondering if I might rather just go by myself.
GM
 GM, 273 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 17:54
Re: Neverwinter
Saran Helder:
I think as a character it is only prudent to seek safer passage with a group, but as a player I am wondering if I might rather just go by myself.

Queen of Hearts:
My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.

Player characters have a way of always meeting challenges equal to their ability to overcome the challenges.

"Money does talk. I suppose in this way you are merely paying for the use of my guards on the trip. Fair enough. The will be one silver a day, paid up front."

OOC: I will need to figure out what that works out to.

This interaction uses up your 16. Did we decide how long you are in town? I think you could do all your spelling in a day. Research maybe one more day. Supplies and looking into caravan 1 day. Anything else?

In Sevinnuhb's downtime he is working on a bow, special quiver, and coming up with alchemist supplies (inexplicably). Francis has found him a small workspace in his the Observatorium.
Saran Helder
 player, 196 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 19:31
Re: Neverwinter
Things to do before setting off to Luskan:

Pierce ears (cost?)
Attune to cap, and both earrings
copy spells: comprehend languages, identify, feather fall, mage armor
copy spell cost: 100 gp
obtain pearl for identify spell: 100 gp
research zombie markings
secure travel (1 gp if it takes 10 days)
GM
 GM, 277 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 19:51
Re: Neverwinter
My understanding of ear piercing is that you just need to do it with a sterile needle, then keep something that isn't oxidizing in the hole until it heals. I am going to say that Spare the dying basically closes wounds, so as long as your not a wuss yi7 can just do it with the earrings and Francis can cantrip the holes closed.

How you doing for money? I haven't paid much attention to your fortunes. By the way, precious stones are what they are, they are not worth something and you sell them for something else.
GM
 GM, 283 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 01:20
Re: Neverwinter
Is the last time you got experience for the fungi?
GM
 GM, 284 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 01:48
Re: Neverwinter
I think it was. So let's say:

50xp for 2nd zom
100xp for quest complete
Saran Helder
 player, 197 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 15:36
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, how about I trade two gems for the pearl.  I have equivalent 170.35 gp in coins.  I also have a gold necklace worth 50 gp.  I could sell that if needed.  Spending 100 gp on spell scribing leaves me with 70.35 gp.  spending 10 sp on travel leaves me 69.35.

I now have xp at 575.
GM
 GM, 287 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 16:04
Re: Neverwinter
Seems a shame not to have that last 25xp... I was feeling like you should be lvl 2 for longer, but I am also an advocate for lvls 1-3 being quick. I guess it would make sense for you to gain lvl 2 spells while in a library...

I am thinking that overcoming the well, is worth that. Also, bringing the Sprite back and reviving him. I originally had these things, but I wanted to be stingy with the level up for some reason.

So, you total should now be 625xp. Go ahead and lvl.
Saran Helder
 player, 198 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 16:25
Re: Neverwinter
900 xp for level 3, right?
GM
 GM, 289 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 18:24
Re: Neverwinter
Oh, haha, I guess that's right. I was thinking that it was 600xp.
Saran Helder
 player, 199 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 18:36
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, Saran adds feather fall to his prepared list.  Then I think we are ready to travel.
GM
 GM, 292 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 19:05
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, you do so. The next day you set out to Luskan. You see a couple extra guards on the walls on your way out, with long-ranged crossbows.

You pass by a small group of guards coming back to the city accompanied led by what appears to be a trapper or ranger; all mounted on horseback. The leader, a city guard, stops and talks to the Wagon company leader. You hear the words, "Travel by day" and "Undead" and "No new sightings".

I have to decide if something happens along the way. Is there something you want to do on the way, any questions you want to ask anyone?
Saran Helder
 player, 200 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 19:54
Re: Neverwinter
Well, I thought one of the reasons it might be better to travel alone is that it would give me an opportunity to visit the zombie farm again to see if anything had changed. Doesn't seem appropriate with the whole company.

Saran would ask the company leader what the guards said, and offer that he had seen undead on the road in day and night in recent travels.  Saran is interested in any undead that people may have seen, and where they saw them and would try to mark locations on his map, as well as make notes of any encounters.  He offers to cast alarm around the company when resting along the road.
GM
 GM, 294 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 20:52
Re: Neverwinter
He doesn't know much, just that a few zombies had been spotted that later turned out to be local farmers. Guards hunted them down and killed them and burned them.

You can visit the farm house when the company makes camp one night sense they stop before it gets too dark and leave after dawn.

He gladly accepts alarm. Also, once he sees the Sprite he warms up because he believes they are supposed to bring good fortune. When Sevinnuhb fails to react much at all to this declaration the guy seems a little put off, but still happy t9 have him around.
Saran Helder
 player, 201 posts
Wed 11 Apr 2018
at 17:46
Re: Neverwinter
OK, assuming nothing or no one else interesting until an opportunity to revisit the farm house Saran spends the time chatting with other travelers and getting to know Sevinnuhb better.  Spot could be variously on Saran's shoulder, scouting, or anywhere within 100'.
GM
 GM, 303 posts
Mon 16 Apr 2018
at 18:42
Re: Neverwinter
You have noticed over the past few days some mercurial changes in the sprite's demeanor. At first he was kind of shell-shocked and open. Then he because excited and enthusiastic, working on his alchemical project. Now, he seems to have settled into a efficient stoicism. He is not brooding, or cold; just direct. Unbidden, he tells you that it is a common misconception that all fey are jovial and carefree like his pixie cousins. Sprites tend to be more stoic. There are evil and vindictive fey as well, such as hags. That is another misconception, the beings from the feywild are small. That is hardly the case.

"But most do employ deception and subtlety. Except sprites. We are pretty honest for the most part."

Every once and awhile you see him run his fingers on his back, reaching over his shoulder. Sometimes he will look up then bend his legs slightly like he is about to spring into the air, then will look around, embarrassed and defeated. He carries a sprite-sized longbow and wears a sprite-sized longsword at his hip. On his other hip he has a quiver of small arrows, and on his back he has a specialty quiver. It is the type that holds less arrows, and each one has its own kind of sheath, which only covers the last 1/4th of the arrow.



Except there are only four arrows which are more spread out, and the holes for them is more so formed by the hardened leather and fits the arrows snugly. At the tip of each one there is a round pocket with a plug coming out of the top area. You have seen him pour concoctions into the pockets.

The other members of the caravan are merchants and guards. They don't have much to say aside from conversation about the weather, and the threat of zombies, the consensus is that it is not an issue anymore.

You find the cottage to be similar to how you left it. Is there anything else you would like to do there?
Saran Helder
 player, 202 posts
Tue 17 Apr 2018
at 19:47
Re: Neverwinter
No, I can't think of anything to do if nothing has changed.  Saran tries to be friendly with everyone, especially Sevinnuhb, but basically biding time until something interesting happens or until they get to his destination.
GM
 GM, 311 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 20:01
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, about 2 hours from Luskan, it is about 5pm and the setting sun is casting it light from above and to the left of you. About 50' ahead of you the ground bursts open from about a 5' crater. Among the dust and close of hard packed dirt, a figure propels forward. It appears to be a small wingless blue dragon, running on all fours. Behind it, a kobold is being dragged by a rope that it is holding, which is tied around the neck of the dragon, bouncing like a rag doll on the ground. It manages to yell something (do you know draconic?) And the dragon thing stops hard, sliding on the dirt, panting like an exited puppy. The kobold hits hard against the creature and falls limply to the ground.

"GUARDS!" The wagon mater yells.

Initiative.
Saran Helder
 player, 203 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 21:30
Re: Neverwinter
I do speak Draconic.  What did he say?

Initiative: 17
GM
 GM, 312 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 21:40
Re: Neverwinter
"Heel!"

More to come.
GM
 GM, 314 posts
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 05:39
Re: Neverwinter
I don't think I defined this before, but the caravan has 4 dedicated guards. There are 3 wagons.

The dragon thing is about as big as a very large dog, or great cat (medium sized). It nudges the kobold then stands guarding it and lets out a roar.



Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake

Saran's turn.
GM
 GM, 315 posts
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 05:41
Re: Neverwinter
GM:
I don't think I defined this before, but the caravan has 4 dedicated guards. There are 3 wagons.

The dragon thing is about as big as a very large dog, or great cat (medium sized). It nudges the kobold then stands guarding it and lets out a roar.



Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake

Saran's turn.


EDIT: it is now about 35' away from the lead wagon, you are about 15' behind that, sitting on a the second wagon with it's driver and Sevinnuhb.
Saran Helder
 player, 204 posts
Sun 22 Apr 2018
at 05:39
Re: Neverwinter
First thing is my portent rolls for the day: 9, 17

So the kobold appears unconscious?  Can I get an insight check or animal handling or whatever on the guard drake.  Is it threatened, playful, protecting the kobold, etc.   (rolled an 18)

Saran yells in Draconic the equivalent of "Shoo! Go Home!" at the guard drake.

I think I still have an action, but it might depend on the insight check.
GM
 GM, 318 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2018
at 23:02
Re: Neverwinter
So, the way i am going to play, and I think it is RAW, is that when you do a skill based check (like perception, insight, persuade, intimidate, etc.) that is an action in combat (at least). Otherwise, there might be situations where we would apply your passive perception. I think this works well with things like hiding too, since you just make the one roll and chack it agains the passive score.

In this case, it sounds like you want to a) do an insight check and b) get it to do something (animal handling). I think that animal handling kind of rolls in the idea of picking up an animal's disposition, so, I think that would be one action, one roll. Your modifier is the same for that as it is insight, so we can just use your previous roll. I am going to invoke DM's privilege and say this is your action this round even if you didn't mean to use up an action, because you rolled.

I am not sure how to rule the animal handling check, like whether it should be an opposed roll, or whatever, but it is made easy by it being a good roll, so...

The drake ducks its head slightly as if to turn away and comply, but then seems to remember that it is also supposed to be heeling the unconscious kobold. It backs up facing the wagons. It is slightly crouched, but still high enough off the ground that it is kind of hovering over the unconscious kobold, which it nudges with a clawed foot.

Do you use a move or bonus action? Or object interaction?

OOC: Mechanically, the drake 'spent' it's reaction for the turn because of your action. You gained the insight that it is still following directions from its kobold master.
Saran Helder
 player, 206 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 16:43
Re: Neverwinter
No move unless needed to get a clear view of what is going to happen.  No bonus action.
GM
 GM, 321 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 17:53
Re: Neverwinter
All the guards capitalize on the beast's forbearance and open fire on it with crossbows. Guards 4 and 3 graze the drake's hide and their bolts go skipping off harmlessly. The drake seems annoyed by all of this, but it holds its ground. The third bolt shot by G2 hits the drake in the chest area, but is also deflected, driving downward and striking the unconscious kobold who gurgles blood for a moment, then goes limp (crit miss). You can tell by the animal's body language that it's now game time.

Sevinnuhb, understanding the sudden desperation of the situation, fires a small arrow which pierces the drake's hide [1 damage]. Any strange brew that Sevinnuhb put to the arrowhead seems to have no affect.

The final gaurd also scores a maximally effective hit (9 damage).

I don't remember if I put the guards on horses, but they are now...

The Drake lunges forward with murder in its eyes and lashes out at guard 2 with a vicious bite [5 dam], followed by a tail whip toward guard 1, who manages to dodge out of the way.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [5 dam]
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake [10 dam]

Saran's turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 207 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 20:54
Re: Neverwinter
Saran conjures up a few magic missiles and sends them flying at the drake. Dmg 11.
GM
 GM, 328 posts
Mon 7 May 2018
at 21:02
Re: Neverwinter
Your magic missiles slam into the drake. Your superior intuition tells you that it is not happy about it, but it nonetheless keeps its attention on the guards who switch from crossbows to short swords. G4, G3, and G2 hack at it, but only G2, fighting for his life, penetrates its scales [3 dam]. Sevinnuhb fires another another which again finds purchase, doesn't cause any grief to the drake beyond the pinprick [1 dam]. The drake bites G2 again [4 dam], and manages to whap G1 with its tail [9 dam].

G1 swings and misses, still dazed from the tail hit.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [9 dam]
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1 [9 dam]
Guard Drake [25 dam]

Saran's turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 208 posts
Tue 8 May 2018
at 17:26
Re: Neverwinter
Saran conjures a mote of fire which he hurls at the drake.

atk 20
dmg 2
GM
 GM, 331 posts
Wed 9 May 2018
at 22:30
Re: Neverwinter
The Guards draw their shields (having only drawn swords last round) and continue their assault.

Gaurd 4 lands another hit with a short sword, and your sprite buddy fires another tiny arrow into the Drake's hide (though he is no longer attempting to use his concoctions). The drake seems mostly unphased, though the mote of fire does draw its ire and it spares as much of a withering look as is possible from a quadrapedal, wingless dragon. It chomps down on Guard 2 which slumps in the drake's mouth. It gives another lazy swing with his tail at gaurd 1, then bounds away still holding the guard (what do you think, its str is 16 and the guard is unconscious, it seems like if you can move a creature that is grappled half your move, you should be able to move something below your carrying capacity you full movement, no?).

The guards make opportunity attacks... g4 hits again, he must be in charge. Guard 1 moves up to the drake and attacks again, but misses. The Drake is 20' from the hole. The guards are providing 3/4 from you from your current position (probably should have done that before too...).

Saran's turn.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [14 dam] (unconscious)
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1 [9 dam]
Guard Drake [36 dam]
Saran Helder
 player, 209 posts
Thu 10 May 2018
at 05:28
Re: Neverwinter
Is it still dragging the kobold?
GM
 GM, 332 posts
Thu 10 May 2018
at 13:22
Re: Neverwinter
No, the kobold was holding on to a rope when he was conscience. So, there is a leash on it.
GM
 GM, 335 posts
Wed 16 May 2018
at 20:36
Re: Neverwinter
I will have it make a strength check on it's next turn to keep pulling the guard.
Saran Helder
 player, 210 posts
Wed 16 May 2018
at 23:12
Re: Neverwinter
Saran lets fly another volley of magic missiles (dmg 11).
GM
 GM, 339 posts
Thu 17 May 2018
at 23:31
Re: Neverwinter
Guards 4 and 3 ride up on their horses and hack at the drake, finally hitting their stride; both scoring hits, leaving the guard drake unconscious and bleeding.

Sevinnuhb leaps off the cart, realizing mid-air that he no longer has wings, and dives into a tumbling roll. He manages to roll to his feet and continue, somewhat gracefully, forward. When he reaches the unconscious guard and pulls out a tiny vial and administers it to the guard, who wakes (with 1 hitpoint).

"What was that thing?!" one of the guards says.
Saran Helder
 player, 211 posts
Fri 25 May 2018
at 04:03
Re: Neverwinter
Saran rolled a 10 nature check to know what that thing was.  If he knows what it was he answers the guard.  If he doesn't he says, "I don't know, a shame..."
Saran Helder
 player, 212 posts
Fri 25 May 2018
at 04:04
Re: Neverwinter
Also, Saran checks the medical state of the kobold (16).
GM
 GM, 344 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 20:09
Re: Neverwinter
I think I would like to keep it simple, that 'monsters' die at 0hp, unless you melee them and decide to knock them out. So, it is dead, and I did not roll. Besides, it was knocked out from bludgeoning damage before being shot, so, it would have probably been dead anyway...
Saran Helder
 player, 213 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 20:55
Re: Neverwinter
In reply to GM (msg # 367):

Did someone shoot the kobold? I was thinking if the kobold was only KO'd we could maybe get some information from it in 1d4 hours. I see it was shot by accident

Saran inspects the hole they came out of.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:01, Tue 29 May 2018.

GM
 GM, 346 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 21:03
Re: Neverwinter
Yeah, it was a critical miss from a guard. I may do away with adverse effects of critical misses. Still deciding. It is a medium sized tunnel (you would have to crawl on your hands and knees. It goes parallel to the road in the direction you are heading for about 10 feet, then turns off to the right.
Saran Helder
 player, 214 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 17:16
Re: Neverwinter
What does Saran get to know about Kobolds?  Rolled a 15 nature check, or a 17 history check.
GM
 GM, 348 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 20:36
Re: Neverwinter
Hm.. You know that kobolds have collective societies and that they burrow. Their god Kurtulmak was trapped in a maze by the Gnomish god Garl Glittergold, so they have a particular hatred for gnomes. They also revere dragons and sometimes a community of kobolds will worship a dragon they serve.

You also find a plain gold ring on the kobold, probably worth 5 or so gold.
GM
 GM, 350 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 21:59
Re: Neverwinter
While inspecting the scene, you hear your sprite friend suddenly yell,

Lampwick! I just remembered. That's my name; Lampwick.
Saran Helder
 player, 215 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 00:16
Re: Neverwinter
Saran takes the ring and flips it to the guard who was injured.

To Lampwick with slight bow: "Glad to see that things are coming back to you Master Lampwick! 
To everyone/no one in particular: "I don't suppose there is any sense digging up more trouble by seeing what is down this hole."
GM
 GM, 353 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2018
at 18:03
Re: Neverwinter
The injured guard nods to you appreciatively then inspects the ring with a dopey smile.

Lampwick cracks a smile and looks a bit more chipper than usual. He goes over to the drake and removes a couple arrows.

You hear a general murmur expressing that nobody wants to go in the tunnel. It is small enough than you would need to crawl. Lampwick sees you looking in and says, "I can check it out!" and with a faint pop, disapears from sight. After a second of no knowing if he went in the tunnel you hear him from the location where he turned invisible, "Do you want me to?"
Saran Helder
 player, 216 posts
Fri 6 Jul 2018
at 00:27
Re: Neverwinter
Be careful Master Lampwick, I wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes, just to assess if there is anything else down there we'd need to be concerned with.  Can you see in the dark?  We should have some kind of signal should you run into trouble.
GM
 GM, 361 posts
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 18:15
Re: Neverwinter
You realize that by the time you are done talking that he is no longer there. You wait a few minutes and the merchant says that he needs to keep going and commands the caravan to continue.

Another minute passes and you see Lampwick walking above ground in front of you and to the right about 50' away. He explains that the tunnel eventually opened up exiting the ground where the terrain dipped down.
Saran Helder
 player, 217 posts
Wed 18 Jul 2018
at 17:34
Re: Neverwinter
"Well done Lampwick, thank you. I suppose we can't do much else but keep a wary eye out"

Assuming that the caravan will move on now, Saran helps put things back together so they can get moving.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 17:35, Wed 18 July 2018.

GM
 GM, 375 posts
Fri 30 Nov 2018
at 20:40
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, you catch up to the merchants and make it to town. It is a large, rough city. It is evening.
Saran Helder
 player, 219 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 22:22
Re: Neverwinter
Saran finds a decent looking inn to stay the night.
GM
 GM, 381 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 23:35
Re: Neverwinter
OK, you find a middling inn. The common room has a wooden floor that is generally clean of debris. It is well lit. There is a half-elf woman sitting on the end of the bar, crossed legs resting on one of the stools. She is strumming a lute while humming and making other soft vocalizations.

The other patrons seem to be a mix of travels, traveling merchants, and regulars.
Saran Helder
 player, 220 posts
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 16:59
Re: Neverwinter
Saran gets a meal for himself and Lampwick/Sevinnuhb.  He sits near the half-elf playing the lute and eats.  Then he introduces himself to one of the regulars and asks if there are any temples nearby.
GM
 GM, 382 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 18:11
Re: Neverwinter
Would you like to do a skill challenge to find the place? You can use familiar, etc. As long as it terminates with a roll. if you use a daily resource (like a spell) roll with advantage (as long as it makes sense). Use three different types of rolls.

Also, roll your portents.

If you do not want to do a skill challenge. Roll d100 three times.
Saran Helder
 player, 221 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 19:06
Re: Neverwinter
I forgot that Luskan is Saranís home town. That kinda changes things.  I have done some reading on Luskan, so Iím going to incorporate some of it.

After a minute or two Saran recognizes the half-elf as a friend of a friend.  They talk and catch up after she finishes singing.  She asks why Saran isnít staying with his family, to which he replies that he doesnít want to be a bother, but will visit his mother while he is in town.  He tells her briefly of his adventures, and asks about zombies, but she hasnít heard or seen anything of zombies, other than vague rumors.  She says that there is not much news about town other than the typical jockeying for power among the Ships, and rumors of intrigues around the Arcane Brotherhood.  Ship Suljack is rumored to have pirated something of some importance and High Captain Dagmaer has been openly critcal of Captains Barri and Beniago.  Saran is saddened to learn that his old master Imiydor hasnít been seen for weeks and there are some speculative rumors of him having somehow gotten crossways with the Arcane Brotherhood.  He was sometimes critical of them.  No news of Saranís mother, which is probably a good thing, she has managed to stay unnoticed by the Ships who still occasionally give her a bother about Saranís father.

Saran dreams that night of puzzle pieces falling from the sky and the wind blowing them to fit into place.  Portent rolls for the day: 17, 8

In the morning Saran makes his way to the institute where alumni status gives him access to the library.  Heís been through the volumes pretty thoroughly, and doesnít have much hope of finding anything about a temple of Boccob nearby, but is surprised. (1st roll Investigation 23 vs DC 15).  He finds an old nursery story about Boccob winning a bet against a fox.  For losing the bet the fox was said to have been made to build Boccob an elaborate den, with many chambers and tunnels.  Any but the most clever would soon find themselves lost if they dared enter.  There were a couple very old references to this den being in Neverwinter Wood between Luskan and Blackford Crossing.  One of the references claimed that the den was so vast that it connected to a hidden chamber created by ancient dwarves and then later used by the orcs that once inhabited the old city Illusk.  This hidden chamberís entrance was supposed to be on the cliff face on the southern side of the River Mirar.  Although many people had heard of this chamber, no one knew where it really was, and most considered its existence an old fable rather than a reality.  If it did exist the Arcane Brotherhood probably would have uncovered it by now. Saran thinks it better to try southwest of Blackford Crossing, as searching the cliff face seems too conspicuous, treacherous, and unlikely to yield anything.  It would be a long shot, but just for kicks it might be interesting to look from the north side if he can get across one of the bridges.  Ship Rethnor has taken to tolling Dalathís span, which is a headache the entire city complains about.

After a quick bite for lunch Saran and Lampwick set out from the South Gate a travel southeast.  The hunting grounds indicated by the cleric of Boccob are 5 or 6 miles from town at the edge of Neverwinter Wood.  Saran figures they will be there in a few hours.  Saran has heard of fox hunts in this area and while they are walking he tries to remember what he knows about foxes (nature check DC 15 vs 15).  While some foxes are solitary, many stay in family groups and sometimes employ pack tactics if threatened.  Foxes are omnivorous, dig dens and are notoriously hard to track.  Saran isnít sure if any of this information is useful.  The walk to the edge of the wood is uneventful.  Now Saran feels silly, and looking for signs of foxes doesnít seem like a good means of finding anything related to Boccob.  (Failed survival check DC 15 vs 2 (natural 1)).

Encounter d100 roll: 100 (following a natural 1, an extreme dayÖ)

ooc: How was that other than taking way too long?  I like these skill challenges.  I think I have a system that will make them go faster in the future.
GM
 GM, 389 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 21:16
Re: Neverwinter
Perfect.

Will post an encounter soon.
GM
 GM, 390 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 22:42
Re: Neverwinter
Though it is cooler here in the more northern region of the sword coast, the early summer heat still reaches you in the forest, if only while in the sun. In the shade it is cool.

While taking a break from searching, you hear a squeak, squeak. You send Spot to take a look (Lampwick also goes invisible and presumably goes in the direction of the squeak). You see a teenaged dwarves boy turning a tap in a tree, extracting sap from a maple.
Saran Helder
 player, 222 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 23:46
Re: Neverwinter
Saran calls to the boy
Hail dwarf friend! What are you about there? Perhaps we can be of assistance to one another.
GM
 GM, 392 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 23:48
Re: Neverwinter
The young dwarf immediately starts running down hill into the valley. Sap is still running into a bucket whose wire handle hangs from small hook above the tap.
Saran Helder
 player, 223 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 23:56
Re: Neverwinter
Wait! I mean no harm. At least collect your sap and bucket!

Saran tells Spot telepathically to follow the dwarf and then return.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:58, Tue 14 May 2019.

GM
 GM, 394 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 01:13
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, Spot does so. Lampwick becomes visible and says, "I can almost taste the syrup from here. They are brewing some down there now."
GM
 GM, 395 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 01:14
Re: Neverwinter
To clarify, Spot comes back in just a couple minutes and can lead you to where the dwarf went.
Saran Helder
 player, 224 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 19:43
Re: Neverwinter
Saran quietly moves within 100' of Spot, who is overlooking the brew operation.  What does Spot see?
GM
 GM, 396 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 19:54
Re: Neverwinter
He sees a small cottage with a lean-to work area where there is a cauldron type operation with some liquid slowly boiling.

The forest is cleared away around the house. You see nobody at the house.
Saran Helder
 player, 225 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 18:43
Re: Neverwinter
Saran approaches the cottage and says hello!
GM
 GM, 402 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 19:39
Re: Neverwinter
An older dwarf voice says, "what is your business here? Why did you sneak up on my son?"
Saran Helder
 player, 226 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 21:46
Re: Neverwinter
In reply to GM (msg # 394):

I'm searching for monuments or signs of foxes.  I would be obliged if you have information on either.  I apologize for startling your son.  I certainly didn't intend it, though I can understand how it might have seemed that way as I hailed him from a shady spot where I was resting. I assure you I mean no harm.
GM
 GM, 403 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 22:19
Re: Neverwinter
Roll a deception check.

Jk.

Roll a persuasion check.
Saran Helder
 player, 227 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 22:53
Re: Neverwinter
In reply to GM (msg # 396):

15:52, Today: Saran Helder rolled 17 using 1d20 ((17)).
GM
 GM, 411 posts
Fri 17 May 2019
at 20:29
Re: Neverwinter
The door to the cottage opens, you hear a woman's voice, though pretty low, so either scarlet Johansson or a dwarves woman, protest, then a dwarves man with a loaded crossbow and round shield step out.

"Foxes? You don't look like no pelter. What's this about?"

He is dressed in frontier type clothing, but with a stained, leather apron.
Saran Helder
 player, 228 posts
Fri 17 May 2019
at 21:41
Re: Neverwinter
You are quite right. I am no pelter.  You might say I am a seeker.  The foxes and the monuments are related, at least that is my hope.  I'm sorry to be vague, but it is a long story. I'm happy to share it if you care to hear it, but I can see that my presence is a source of consternation. If you wish me gone, say the word and I will bid my farewell with no ill feeling.  However if you can help me I promise a share of any treasure I may find, plus a pinch of coin upfront.
GM
 GM, 412 posts
Fri 17 May 2019
at 21:45
Re: Neverwinter
He lowers the crossbow.

"Go on. What's foxes got ta do with monuments? Also, are you alone? "
Saran Helder
 player, 229 posts
Fri 17 May 2019
at 22:51
Re: Neverwinter
occ: I am going to change Saran's color to purple

I am not alone.  I have my pet raven and a traveling companion who may be at this moment invisible.  Hello Lampwick...  Saran waits a momment and then proceeds whether Lampwich shows himself or not.

Yes, well, let me start with a story then.

Saran relates the nursery tale of Boccob and the fox with as much elaboration as he can manage, complete with illustrations via minor illusion.

This is an interesting children's story, but maybe more than a story...  You see, independent research of a friend of mine tells me that some kind of a monument related to Boccob is located near this area. Some legends have said that the den the fox built Boccob is also located near here. I am guessing that these are related, and hoping that some sign of foxes may help me to locate the monument.

Unrelatedly, have you had any encounters with Zombies?

GM
 GM, 413 posts
Fri 17 May 2019
at 23:59
Re: Neverwinter
He pauses you when you start using minor illusion and calls his family out which includes a wife and a son and a daughter. They eventually invite you around back to a fire pit with log seats (no fire at this time) and you continue the story above the fire pit with you all sitting round about. Lampwick does show himself when invited to do so. The adult male dwarf keeps a wary eye on him, the way one might a mischievous child, but the others are (non magically) enchanted.

They tell you of some fox runs and other game trails for you to follow. They have not heard about any zombies in the area.

The dwarf considers the information fair trade for whatever you deem appropriate to pay him, but as far as any treasure you find, he says you are welcome to come and purchase any of their wares on your way out. His wife seems a bit chagrined by this, but doesn't say anything. You are not sure if it is because he won't accept money foe nothing or if it is to invite strangers back again. You see now there is a very narrow cart path leading down the valley away from the home.

If you are i ntersted in buying anything, he sells syrup related items, as well as some potion/antitoxin/medicines that are in syrup form "medicine, as you know is notoriously foul tasting. I believe there is a real opportunity in the market for syrup based medicines."
Saran Helder
 player, 230 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 16:53
Re: Neverwinter
Saran buys some regular syrup and some medicinal syrup, throws in an extra gp or 2 thanks the family and heads in the direction indicated for the nearest fox run.
GM
 GM, 414 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 17:22
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, the syrup is a silver, and the medicine is 10gp (advantage on saves vs poison/disease, as in, if you are fighting a longer term condition which gets periodic saves to recover from, medicine will give advantage on these saves. For verisimilitude, let's say that the medicine is a concoction of steroids and antibiotic type drugs).

So, remove 12gp from your sheet.

Roll a perception, survival, or investigation check with advantage.
Saran Helder
 player, 231 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 22:15
Re: Neverwinter
15:14, Today: Saran Helder rolled 14 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only ((9,8)).
GM
 GM, 416 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 23:20
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, you follow several fox trails and with the help of Lampwick and Spot you discover one that leads into a small cave in a rock face in the side of a small hill, so it is relatively flat on the one side and more of a slope on the others. Upon inspection you see that the stone is worked in places as a facade. It appears to be a building that has been covered over the years by dirt and foliage. The opening is large enough for you to squeeze into without much trouble. Lampwick peaks in and says that it opens up inside, but smells like animals. It is approaching nighttime.

OOC: I was looking for a DC 15, and the advantage was from the info from the dwarff, but I realized that you had help. I think my general philosophy is that the first help gives you advantage, the second help (for a different type of source) gives you +2, and overwhelming help gives you another +3 (for a total of +5). So, in this case it was advantage with a +2. I suppose alternatively, I could have had Lampwick help also, but I like to have one person roll for things that the party is doing together. Otherwise, rolls just overwhelm the check.
Saran Helder
 player, 232 posts
Tue 21 May 2019
at 14:40
Re: Neverwinter
Saran casts light on a pebble or small stone, tosses it a ways in the cave, and then squeezes in to see for himself.
GM
 GM, 420 posts
Fri 24 May 2019
at 19:16
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, you toss a lit pebble and go in. It does indeed look as if animals have made it into a den, though you see none at this time. The walls and ceiling are covered in roots and creepers. The stone floor is broken and covered in dirt with jagged corners of cut stone jutting up at all angles.

In the back right side of the 10x10 space there is what appears to be hallway. It looks like the opposite side also had a hallway, but it is caved in.
Saran Helder
 player, 233 posts
Fri 24 May 2019
at 21:20
Re: Neverwinter
Saran casts light on his belt, beckons Spot and Lanpwick to follow and proceeds cautiously down the hall.
GM
 GM, 430 posts
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 00:58
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, I am going to say that between the Guard Drake/Kobold encounter and the skill check/dwarf encounter, and anything I may have missed, I will award you 300xp.

I wouldn't mind if you kept slightly better notes on your characters sheet. Like with your inventory more as a list, with some more description of your magical item (physical description and properties).

You can level up before we proceed into the ruins.
Saran Helder
 player, 238 posts
Sat 9 Nov 2019
at 00:11
Re: Neverwinter
OK, I think I am read to go.

If it works for you, I would rather keep track of my character sheet in a Google sheet, which I put a link to in the rpol character sheet.
GM
 GM, 445 posts
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 00:15
Re: Neverwinter
Sounds good.

As you proceed into the hall, you hear a rustling behind you are the entrance.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:35, Fri 10 Jan 2020.