Neverwinter.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 1
GM
 GM, 9 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 21:08
Fleggort
Ok, so, you find yourself in front of a Temple of Boccob (I am going to use the Greyhawk deity list), god of knowledge. You are recently arrived at this city of Neverwinter, in a neighborhood named Fleggort. Neverwinter is a river city with a massive ancient bridges spanning a large river that runs east and west, emptying on the west side of the city into the Sea of Swords.

Your reasoning for coming to this city is that it is very old. This temple has an extensive library that is more or less public.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Tue 14 Jan 2020.

Saran Helder
 player, 1 post
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:02
Fleggort
Saran enters the temple with slight uneasiness, more used to libraries than temples.  He looks around for a priest, cleric, or some indication of where to go or what to do next.  He wishes to petition Boccob for guidance to know, to see, to divine.  Not used to this path of seeking he sees this as a trial of sorts.  Will the gods stoop to hear the petitions of mortals?
GM
 GM, 10 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:18
Fleggort
You walk into the temple and there is a lobby area that looks almost like a security checkpoint. The opening to the next chamber is large, 15' across and 20' high, but it appears that efforts have been made to choke access off to a single file walkway. To either side there are large statues. One is a king sitting on a throne made from piles of books. On the other side there is a sort of statue/model representing the planes of existence.

In the middle there is a reception desk, behind it is standing a young man. He appears to be looking back and forth from several open books. He looks like a mage's apprentice. If he has noticed you, he hasn't given any indication of such.
Saran Helder
 player, 2 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:44
Fleggort
Saran approaches the young man and asks:
May I be directed to Boccob's Chamber?

or other appropriate relate query as allowed by Religion check of 16.  Also what does Saran know in general about Boccob?
GM
 GM, 11 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2017
at 22:58
Fleggort
Excellent questions.

You know that Boccob is the the God of knowledge. Some believe that he was a mortal human that became a dog through his acquisition of knowledge. He was said to be an archmage that became so powerful that he ascending to the godly plane through his knowledge of the universe. He is also known as Boccob the Uncaring, because he is not at all moralistic, neither good nor evil. Many of his followers are mages and wizards, bards, and even some warlocks looking for hidden secrets. And of course plenty of clerics, but it is not uncommon for Priests to practice both arcane and divine magic.

You remember that an appropriate thing to say would be "I come seeking knowledge."

The man behind the desk seems slightly surprised by your presence and after recovering gives a half smile and bows slightly, puts his hands together and bows slightly and intones, "Come, and be illuminated." Then he starts pushing books aside until he finds what appears to be a ledger and asks, "Name, field of research." then waits expectantly.
Saran Helder
 player, 3 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 13:54
Fleggort
Saran Helder, divination
GM
 GM, 14 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 15:41
Fleggort
Very well. He scribbles some notes then snaps his fingers and a bit of sand bursts out and covers the fresh ink, then he absently sweeps his hand above the page which creates a small magical gust of wind that blows the sand off. The sand dissipates in the air.

5th floor. If you wish to use the observatorium you will have to talk to one of the clerks up there.
Saran Helder
 player, 6 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 18:57
Fleggort
His interest piqued, Saran heads up to the 5th floor and asks a clerk about the observatorium.
GM
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:29
Fleggort
Saran enters the temple with slight uneasiness, more used to libraries than temples.  He looks around for a priest, cleric, or some indication of where to go or what to do next.  He wishes to petition Boccob for guidance to know, to see, to divine.  Not used to this path of seeking he sees this as a trial of sorts.  Will the gods stoop to hear the petitions of mortals?

You pass by the reception desk and cross into the next chamber which is a huge room with bookshelves which are filled with books. There are reading desks scattered among the bookshelves. There are a few people reading books, transcribing information, or perusing the aisles. There are also a few men and women dressed similarly to the man at the front desk patrolling around.

At the back of the room there is an open stone staircase leading up. The 2nd and 3rd floors are similar to the first, but with fewer people.

The 4th floor landing is met with a large, metal door, bolted shut.

The 5th floor has large bookshelves arranged in a circle, like spokes of a wheel. There are tables and chairs where the spaces between shelves are at their widest. In the center of the room is a large, raised, circular platform filled with contraptions and strange furniture. The ceiling is domed. It appears this is the top floor of the temple.

There are stairs leading to the platform. In front of the stairs is a man that looks remarkably similar to the man at the reception desk of the temple.
Saran Helder
 player, 7 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:40
Fleggort
Saran spends a few minutes perusing the aisles to see what kind of books are available, and then approaches the clerk and asks, "What may be observed here?"
GM
 GM, 17 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 19:57
Fleggort
<I am going to retcon and say that this man is actually an older gentleman.>

He seems to take it as a deep philosophical question and strikes a pensive look.

Very little of which is not already known. That is the problem with divination, you often have to know what it is you are looking for, so we are often limited by our own imagination, and the inventiveness of those who have come before, and for that we have books. Some believe that for this reason it is more worthwhile to become clerics and supplicate to Boccob for knowledge, for there is little knowledge that he does not know.

He stands up and looks at the platform.

Do you know what you wish to see?
Saran Helder
 player, 8 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 20:12
Fleggort
Were there any interesting book titles?