Neverwinter.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 1
Saran Helder
 player, 198 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 16:25
Re: Neverwinter
900 xp for level 3, right?
GM
 GM, 289 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 18:24
Re: Neverwinter
Oh, haha, I guess that's right. I was thinking that it was 600xp.
Saran Helder
 player, 199 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 18:36
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, Saran adds feather fall to his prepared list.  Then I think we are ready to travel.
GM
 GM, 292 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 19:05
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, you do so. The next day you set out to Luskan. You see a couple extra guards on the walls on your way out, with long-ranged crossbows.

You pass by a small group of guards coming back to the city accompanied led by what appears to be a trapper or ranger; all mounted on horseback. The leader, a city guard, stops and talks to the Wagon company leader. You hear the words, "Travel by day" and "Undead" and "No new sightings".

I have to decide if something happens along the way. Is there something you want to do on the way, any questions you want to ask anyone?
Saran Helder
 player, 200 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 19:54
Re: Neverwinter
Well, I thought one of the reasons it might be better to travel alone is that it would give me an opportunity to visit the zombie farm again to see if anything had changed. Doesn't seem appropriate with the whole company.

Saran would ask the company leader what the guards said, and offer that he had seen undead on the road in day and night in recent travels.  Saran is interested in any undead that people may have seen, and where they saw them and would try to mark locations on his map, as well as make notes of any encounters.  He offers to cast alarm around the company when resting along the road.
GM
 GM, 294 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 20:52
Re: Neverwinter
He doesn't know much, just that a few zombies had been spotted that later turned out to be local farmers. Guards hunted them down and killed them and burned them.

You can visit the farm house when the company makes camp one night sense they stop before it gets too dark and leave after dawn.

He gladly accepts alarm. Also, once he sees the Sprite he warms up because he believes they are supposed to bring good fortune. When Sevinnuhb fails to react much at all to this declaration the guy seems a little put off, but still happy t9 have him around.
Saran Helder
 player, 201 posts
Wed 11 Apr 2018
at 17:46
Re: Neverwinter
OK, assuming nothing or no one else interesting until an opportunity to revisit the farm house Saran spends the time chatting with other travelers and getting to know Sevinnuhb better.  Spot could be variously on Saran's shoulder, scouting, or anywhere within 100'.
GM
 GM, 303 posts
Mon 16 Apr 2018
at 18:42
Re: Neverwinter
You have noticed over the past few days some mercurial changes in the sprite's demeanor. At first he was kind of shell-shocked and open. Then he because excited and enthusiastic, working on his alchemical project. Now, he seems to have settled into a efficient stoicism. He is not brooding, or cold; just direct. Unbidden, he tells you that it is a common misconception that all fey are jovial and carefree like his pixie cousins. Sprites tend to be more stoic. There are evil and vindictive fey as well, such as hags. That is another misconception, the beings from the feywild are small. That is hardly the case.

"But most do employ deception and subtlety. Except sprites. We are pretty honest for the most part."

Every once and awhile you see him run his fingers on his back, reaching over his shoulder. Sometimes he will look up then bend his legs slightly like he is about to spring into the air, then will look around, embarrassed and defeated. He carries a sprite-sized longbow and wears a sprite-sized longsword at his hip. On his other hip he has a quiver of small arrows, and on his back he has a specialty quiver. It is the type that holds less arrows, and each one has its own kind of sheath, which only covers the last 1/4th of the arrow.



Except there are only four arrows which are more spread out, and the holes for them is more so formed by the hardened leather and fits the arrows snugly. At the tip of each one there is a round pocket with a plug coming out of the top area. You have seen him pour concoctions into the pockets.

The other members of the caravan are merchants and guards. They don't have much to say aside from conversation about the weather, and the threat of zombies, the consensus is that it is not an issue anymore.

You find the cottage to be similar to how you left it. Is there anything else you would like to do there?
Saran Helder
 player, 202 posts
Tue 17 Apr 2018
at 19:47
Re: Neverwinter
No, I can't think of anything to do if nothing has changed.  Saran tries to be friendly with everyone, especially Sevinnuhb, but basically biding time until something interesting happens or until they get to his destination.
GM
 GM, 311 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 20:01
Re: Neverwinter
Ok, about 2 hours from Luskan, it is about 5pm and the setting sun is casting it light from above and to the left of you. About 50' ahead of you the ground bursts open from about a 5' crater. Among the dust and close of hard packed dirt, a figure propels forward. It appears to be a small wingless blue dragon, running on all fours. Behind it, a kobold is being dragged by a rope that it is holding, which is tied around the neck of the dragon, bouncing like a rag doll on the ground. It manages to yell something (do you know draconic?) And the dragon thing stops hard, sliding on the dirt, panting like an exited puppy. The kobold hits hard against the creature and falls limply to the ground.

"GUARDS!" The wagon mater yells.

Initiative.
Saran Helder
 player, 203 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 21:30
Re: Neverwinter
I do speak Draconic.  What did he say?

Initiative: 17
GM
 GM, 312 posts
Fri 20 Apr 2018
at 21:40
Re: Neverwinter
"Heel!"

More to come.
GM
 GM, 314 posts
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 05:39
Re: Neverwinter
I don't think I defined this before, but the caravan has 4 dedicated guards. There are 3 wagons.

The dragon thing is about as big as a very large dog, or great cat (medium sized). It nudges the kobold then stands guarding it and lets out a roar.



Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake

Saran's turn.
GM
 GM, 315 posts
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 05:41
Re: Neverwinter
GM:
I don't think I defined this before, but the caravan has 4 dedicated guards. There are 3 wagons.

The dragon thing is about as big as a very large dog, or great cat (medium sized). It nudges the kobold then stands guarding it and lets out a roar.



Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake

Saran's turn.


EDIT: it is now about 35' away from the lead wagon, you are about 15' behind that, sitting on a the second wagon with it's driver and Sevinnuhb.
Saran Helder
 player, 204 posts
Sun 22 Apr 2018
at 05:39
Re: Neverwinter
First thing is my portent rolls for the day: 9, 17

So the kobold appears unconscious?  Can I get an insight check or animal handling or whatever on the guard drake.  Is it threatened, playful, protecting the kobold, etc.   (rolled an 18)

Saran yells in Draconic the equivalent of "Shoo! Go Home!" at the guard drake.

I think I still have an action, but it might depend on the insight check.
GM
 GM, 318 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2018
at 23:02
Re: Neverwinter
So, the way i am going to play, and I think it is RAW, is that when you do a skill based check (like perception, insight, persuade, intimidate, etc.) that is an action in combat (at least). Otherwise, there might be situations where we would apply your passive perception. I think this works well with things like hiding too, since you just make the one roll and chack it agains the passive score.

In this case, it sounds like you want to a) do an insight check and b) get it to do something (animal handling). I think that animal handling kind of rolls in the idea of picking up an animal's disposition, so, I think that would be one action, one roll. Your modifier is the same for that as it is insight, so we can just use your previous roll. I am going to invoke DM's privilege and say this is your action this round even if you didn't mean to use up an action, because you rolled.

I am not sure how to rule the animal handling check, like whether it should be an opposed roll, or whatever, but it is made easy by it being a good roll, so...

The drake ducks its head slightly as if to turn away and comply, but then seems to remember that it is also supposed to be heeling the unconscious kobold. It backs up facing the wagons. It is slightly crouched, but still high enough off the ground that it is kind of hovering over the unconscious kobold, which it nudges with a clawed foot.

Do you use a move or bonus action? Or object interaction?

OOC: Mechanically, the drake 'spent' it's reaction for the turn because of your action. You gained the insight that it is still following directions from its kobold master.
Saran Helder
 player, 206 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 16:43
Re: Neverwinter
No move unless needed to get a clear view of what is going to happen.  No bonus action.
GM
 GM, 321 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 17:53
Re: Neverwinter
All the guards capitalize on the beast's forbearance and open fire on it with crossbows. Guards 4 and 3 graze the drake's hide and their bolts go skipping off harmlessly. The drake seems annoyed by all of this, but it holds its ground. The third bolt shot by G2 hits the drake in the chest area, but is also deflected, driving downward and striking the unconscious kobold who gurgles blood for a moment, then goes limp (crit miss). You can tell by the animal's body language that it's now game time.

Sevinnuhb, understanding the sudden desperation of the situation, fires a small arrow which pierces the drake's hide [1 damage]. Any strange brew that Sevinnuhb put to the arrowhead seems to have no affect.

The final gaurd also scores a maximally effective hit (9 damage).

I don't remember if I put the guards on horses, but they are now...

The Drake lunges forward with murder in its eyes and lashes out at guard 2 with a vicious bite [5 dam], followed by a tail whip toward guard 1, who manages to dodge out of the way.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [5 dam]
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1
Guard Drake [10 dam]

Saran's turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 207 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 20:54
Re: Neverwinter
Saran conjures up a few magic missiles and sends them flying at the drake. Dmg 11.
GM
 GM, 328 posts
Mon 7 May 2018
at 21:02
Re: Neverwinter
Your magic missiles slam into the drake. Your superior intuition tells you that it is not happy about it, but it nonetheless keeps its attention on the guards who switch from crossbows to short swords. G4, G3, and G2 hack at it, but only G2, fighting for his life, penetrates its scales [3 dam]. Sevinnuhb fires another another which again finds purchase, doesn't cause any grief to the drake beyond the pinprick [1 dam]. The drake bites G2 again [4 dam], and manages to whap G1 with its tail [9 dam].

G1 swings and misses, still dazed from the tail hit.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [9 dam]
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1 [9 dam]
Guard Drake [25 dam]

Saran's turn.
Saran Helder
 player, 208 posts
Tue 8 May 2018
at 17:26
Re: Neverwinter
Saran conjures a mote of fire which he hurls at the drake.

atk 20
dmg 2
GM
 GM, 331 posts
Wed 9 May 2018
at 22:30
Re: Neverwinter
The Guards draw their shields (having only drawn swords last round) and continue their assault.

Gaurd 4 lands another hit with a short sword, and your sprite buddy fires another tiny arrow into the Drake's hide (though he is no longer attempting to use his concoctions). The drake seems mostly unphased, though the mote of fire does draw its ire and it spares as much of a withering look as is possible from a quadrapedal, wingless dragon. It chomps down on Guard 2 which slumps in the drake's mouth. It gives another lazy swing with his tail at gaurd 1, then bounds away still holding the guard (what do you think, its str is 16 and the guard is unconscious, it seems like if you can move a creature that is grappled half your move, you should be able to move something below your carrying capacity you full movement, no?).

The guards make opportunity attacks... g4 hits again, he must be in charge. Guard 1 moves up to the drake and attacks again, but misses. The Drake is 20' from the hole. The guards are providing 3/4 from you from your current position (probably should have done that before too...).

Saran's turn.

Saran
Guard 4
Guard 3
Guard 2 [14 dam] (unconscious)
Sevinnuhb
Guard 1 [9 dam]
Guard Drake [36 dam]
Saran Helder
 player, 209 posts
Thu 10 May 2018
at 05:28
Re: Neverwinter
Is it still dragging the kobold?
GM
 GM, 332 posts
Thu 10 May 2018
at 13:22
Re: Neverwinter
No, the kobold was holding on to a rope when he was conscience. So, there is a leash on it.
GM
 GM, 335 posts
Wed 16 May 2018
at 20:36
Re: Neverwinter
I will have it make a strength check on it's next turn to keep pulling the guard.