London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Amelia Meadowcroft
 player, 7 posts
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 12:43
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Amelia has seen many things in her short life, many of which would not be considered appropriate for a lady, but she has never seen anything like this before. Fear washes over her as she tries to process the scene before her but it just make no sense. However, something deeper than rational thought cut through the panic. This thing, whatever it was, was a threat and she had to act.

"Bloody hell!" She squeaked whilst levelling her revolver at the...thing that had been on the bed. Clutching it tightly, a little too tightly, in both hands she squeezed the trigger.
GM
 GM, 27 posts
Mon 4 Dec 2017
at 21:20
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
As Dr Saroch backs away from the monster and Professor Worth flees in terror it is brave Amelia who manages to keep a level head and puts a bullet right through the thing's chest - the gunshot deafening in the small room.

The creature staggers back with the impact and a thick black substance, more like tar than blood, oozes from the wound. It hisses again and lunges at Amelia in rage and pain - it's barbed tongue lashing and fingers clawing for her face. However, Amelia manages to nimbly side step out of the way and it only succeeds in taking a chunk out of the plasterwork.

On the landing Professor Smith cries in horror and draws a pistol from his own jacket. He opens fire but misses horribly and just puts the round into the filthy mattress.
Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 14 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Mon 4 Dec 2017
at 22:23
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Standing beside Miss Meadowcroft, Saroch fumbles a vial of alcohol from his bag, which he allows to drop to the floor with a thud.

He twists off the top and lets that drop as well.

With three flicks of his hand and wrist he soaks the thing in front of them with the fluid while his left hand extracts a lucifer from his waistcoat pocket.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:24, Mon 04 Dec 2017.

Amelia Meadowcroft
 player, 8 posts
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 14:03
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Stepping aside as gracefully as her dress allows, silently cursing fashion yet again, Amelia keeps he pistol aimed at the creature. Her only plan is to keep shooting until it stops moving, hoping that's its continued vigour is akin to a wounded animal unaware it has been harmed.

Unaware of the Doctor's ingenious plan in the midst of the fray she squeezes the trigger again, praying that this time the 'thing' drops.
GM
 GM, 28 posts
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 18:00
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Amelia fires again. At such close range it would be near impossible to miss and this shot goes through the creature's abdomen spraying more of the thick black blood across the room but still seemingly slowing the creature little.

As the creature rears back to attack Amelia again it doesn't seem to notice Dr Saroch dousing it in alcohol. This time the lashing tongue wraps around the young lady's shoulder and pulls back, the barbs ripping bloody gouges from Amelia's arm as they go.

However, even as the monster snarls in triumph at the taste of blood Saroch manages to light his lucifer and touches it to the alcohol. The fire spreads quickly through the alcohol and the withered flesh seems to have little mositure left to impede it's progress. The foul stench seems exacerbated by the flames and an acrid black smoke rises wherever the flames touch the spilled blood.

The beast howls in fury (or pain, it's impossible to tell) and spins to face Saroch even as the fire continues to spread across it. It reaches for Saroch with one grasping hand...
Amelia Meadowcroft
 player, 9 posts
Tue 12 Dec 2017
at 20:00
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Amelia grunts in discomfort as the beast's tongue tears open her shoulder, her expression a mixture of pain, fear and anger. One hand moves from the revolver to clasp tightly over the injury, the blood oozing slowly between her fingers.

"Why won't you die..." She mutters as the creature bursts into flame but still moves, still attacks. Squinting her eyes against the smoke and gritting her teeth against the discomfort of her wound and increasing stench she determinedly raises her firearm once more.
Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 15 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Tue 12 Dec 2017
at 20:35
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Slapping away the creature's claws to protect his face and torso, Saroch unleashes a chassé lateral a bas (low front kick) to take the creature in the knee.
GM
 GM, 29 posts
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 17:06
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
As the flames continue to lick over the body of the monster Amelia lines up one more shot and puts a bullet right through the back of it's horribly distended head. The skull explodes like overripe fruit, showering Saroch with burning chunks of flesh. The creature sinks to its knees and then slumps forwards to the floor, Saroch neatly sidestepping, where the flames continue to consume it's now unmoving form.

Smith sighs audibly from the corridor, "Well done friends, I think you've finished it - whatever it was. Though we should probably put that fire out before it destroys the building."

He enters the room, visibly pale, and winces when looking at Amelia's ragged injury. However, as soon as he can see she is generally okay he crosses to where Dr Hobbs still groans on the far side of the room, "He's alive but it's a terrible wound, I think he may need a hospital."

Now that the immediate commotion has died down you can hear some commotion out in the street - it seems that the shouts and gunshots may have attracted some attention...
Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 16 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 18:04
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Quickly slapping away any debris that is clinging to his clothes, Saroch grabs the blanket from the bed and smothers the flames that flicker up from the corpse. That done, he stoops to look at Hobbs's wounds, readily agreeing with Smith's assessment.

"Please have a carriage summoned at once, Smith. I will do what I can for Hobbs and then Miss Meadowcroft. This is a clear case of spontaneous human combustion, of course. The other injuries sustained by the broken glass." He quickly finds his medical bag and sets to work.

"You have my admiration, Mademoiselle," he says over his shoulder, "Quelle brave! he says over his shoulder.
George Banks
 player, 1 post
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 02:12
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
George hurries into the room, full of adrenaline, fists clenched and ready to fight.  He heard shots fired, and he’s ready for anything.

Except for the burning horror on the floor!  As he sees it, he is stunned speechless...
Amelia Meadowcroft
 player, 10 posts
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 22:21
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
As the creature finally collapses to the floor Amelia a look of triumph flashes across Amelia's face before she visible slumps and steps back to lean heavily against the wall, one hand still clutching her arm tightly. With the adrenaline departing shock and pain had a chance to re-assert themselves.

"What was that thing?" She asked through gritted teeth to the room in general, eyes still glued to the still form of their assailant.  She is so fixated that she barely notices the new face rush into the room, glancing briefly his way but not really registering his presence. When the doctor addressed her she turns slowly, face blank before what he says seeps in.

"Merci, Doctor." She manages weakly with a small smile. "But you did as much as I."
George Banks
 player, 3 posts
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 22:33
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
My God,” George says at last.  “I’m glad I’ve never been in the ring with one of those.  What in bloody hell is that thing?”
Professor Harold Worth
 player, 15 posts
Fri 22 Dec 2017
at 12:32
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Professor Worth had hid trembling, sitting at the far corner of the hallway outside the bedroom. Mentally jarred by the vision of horror that he had seen, he heard the bullets that rang out and whatever sounds of obvious commotion from the room as if it were a long way off. As a certain air of peace had returned after the creature had been dispatched, broken only by the rapid footfalls of George as he rushed up the stairs and into the room, the Professor managed to compose himself somewhat, enough to timidly approach the room again.

Looking pale and shaken by the whole ordeal, he slowly stepped into the bedroom, "Is it dead? That thing?"
Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 17 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Fri 22 Dec 2017
at 13:33
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
"I am afraid the poor victim of spontaneous combustion has succumbed. The sudden burst of flame caused a shattering of glass which has injured the doctor severely and Miss Meadowcroft to a lesser extent."

Saroch does not turn his concentration from the wound he is attempting to stanch.

"Smith is fetching a carriage so that we can transport the doctor to hospital. Are you injured, sir?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:34, Fri 22 Dec 2017.

George Banks
 player, 4 posts
Fri 22 Dec 2017
at 21:11
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
“Anything I can do to help?  Assuming you don’t need me to duff up any monsters.”  The left side of his face twitches.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Fri 22 Dec 2017.

Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 18 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Sat 23 Dec 2017
at 00:25
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Saroch turns his head for an instant to look at the speaker.

"Have you any experience dealing with lacerations? Cuts? If so, you might see if you can assist Miss Meadowcroft."
George Banks
 player, 5 posts
Sat 23 Dec 2017
at 00:49
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
“None.  Sorry.”
Professor Harold Worth
 player, 16 posts
Sat 23 Dec 2017
at 21:39
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
"I have some experience with first aid from my time on the field. I could attend to Amelia some possibly..."

It could possibly help the Professor at least to get his mind off what had just transpired with the creature.

OOC - I have 30% First Aid skill... I probably don't have equipment obviously, but maybe Professor Worth could use some of the Doctor's things and help out some with Amelia?

This message was last edited by the player at 21:41, Sat 23 Dec 2017.

Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 19 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Sat 23 Dec 2017
at 22:10
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
"Bon. Use the Dr Hobbs bag. If you need anything not there, take from mine."
GM
 GM, 30 posts
Sun 24 Dec 2017
at 17:36
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
The blanket from the bed is damp with foulness but that serves its use well in putting out the emerging fire which smoulders to a stop when covered and stamped upon.

As Smith heads downstairs to summon assistance he passes George coming up and greets him warmly, albeit briefly as he heads out, "Better late than never young Mr Banks!"

Dr Saroch approaches his medical colleague and immediately begins to treat him but from the look on Saroch's face you can tell that it isn't looking positive. Professor Worth's treatment of Amelia goes smoothly and he manages to stem the bleeding with a roughly applied bandage which looks pretty good even in Saroch's professional opinion.

As everybody finishes their tasks Smith returns, slightly out of breath, and now wearing his coat and holding a walking stick.
"There's a hansom outside you can use Doctor and the much aggrieved Mrs Grim has, I believe, gone to summon the attention of a few members of the constabulary. May I suggest that we all make an exit - it may take a while to explain this situation to the police and I have no great wish to be here all night.

He spots something by the side of the bed and, with a flick of his wrist, raises the fallen fez on the point of his cane.
"However, I think, my friends, we will need to discuss the happenings here tonight in more detail. I feel that something dark is afoot, I have only some inklings of what it may be and I am wary to go into too much detail here. Perhaps you could all meet me at the club tomorrow for lunch and we can discuss it further? I appreciate if you do not wish to given what we have seen this night but I would be grateful for your help."


OOC: In case it isn't entirely obvious I'm angling to change scenes in the not too distant future so, if you have anything else you're keen to do here, this is pretty much your last chance to do it!
Dr Jean-Louis Saroch
 player, 20 posts
 Physician & Surgeon
Sun 24 Dec 2017
at 19:16
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Saroch nods at the job Worth has done in bandaging Miss Meaddowcroft. He directs Banks to assist the professor in carrying Hobbs downstairs and hands the other physician's medical bag to Smith.

When everyone else has left the room, he uses his stick to shatter the window and anything else of glass or crockery in the room. With a last glance at the still form under the sodden blanket.

Outside, he directs the placement of his patient into the carriage, inviting Miss Meadowcroft to ride along for further treatment of her injury. He agrees to meet Smith the next day, orders the driver to take them to St Bart's Hospital, and is gone.
George Banks
 player, 6 posts
Sun 24 Dec 2017
at 19:30
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
As he is greeted by Mr. Smith, Banks raises his hands as though awaiting a left hook from a skilled opponent.  He is joking, of course.
Amelia Meadowcroft
 player, 11 posts
Fri 29 Dec 2017
at 11:23
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Amelia expresses her thanks to Prof. Worth for tending her wounds and agrees to meet the following day. She then accepts Doctor Saroch's offer to accompany him and Hobb's to the hospital, being both still worried about her injury and wishing to spend as little time about Whitechapel as possible.
Professor Harold Worth
 player, 17 posts
Fri 29 Dec 2017
at 12:01
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
Professor Worth attends the others to St. Bartholomew Hospital, before looking to either find a means to transport himself back his Platt Street apartment; otherwise, he will see whereabouts the others would find lodging at the hospital.
GM
 GM, 31 posts
Sat 30 Dec 2017
at 14:39
Re: London 1 - Durward Street, Whitechapel
You exit the building swiftly, loading the groaning Dr Hobbs into a cab and taking him swiftly to St Bart's hospital - a short ride across town. Smith leaves hot on your heels, wrapping the hat tightly in a sheet and then hailing his own cab.

As you leave you pass a small crowd gathering in and around the street but the darkness and thick fog means they are largely obscured from view. For a second you think you can make out the now sickeningly familiar shape of a fez on the heads of two of the bystanders but then they are lost to the obscuring mist.

At the hospital Hobbs lives, though the violent injury to his face is likely to change his life forever. In more joyful news Amelia's arm is treated expertly while at the hospital and she is assured the wound will barely leave a scar.

Eventually, in the very small hours of the morning, you make your way home to get what rest you can before your appointment with Smith, and hopefully some answers, later today...