Seeking Lord Rufus.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 1
DM
 GM, 149 posts
Mon 28 Aug 2017
at 18:36
Seeking Lord Rufus
In reply to Velox (msg # 32):

You leave the grove and travel back to the main road and go right towards the Guard Tower.

The next structure you see along the road is a barn like home with a wheel nailed to the door on the right hand side, an indication that this is the home of the local cartwright.

Then afterwards is a walled manor home on the left hand side of the road. The gates look heavy and sturdy and the wall is made of stone eight feet tall. It is clear this is the home of someone well to do. You also believe in the case of trouble it would be an easily defensible position in town, the best you've seen so far.

Not far passed the wall manor on the right hand side of the road is what appears to be a newly constructed structure. The sign on it has a saw and hammer. This is an indication that this is the local carpentry shop.

Next on the left side of the road you see a well crafted stone building. It has a low wall about four feet high setting it off from the road. You see a few children perhaps ages five to nine playing in the yard, two boys and a girl. They seem to be enthralled in what they are doing at the moment and don't notice you.

You finally reach the outer workings of the construction which is pretty obvious. The only structure completed, or well beyond the foundation stage at this point is a two story tower some 55 feet tall standing on the hill. No doubt that is where you will find Lord Rufus and Lord Burne.

(OOC: Let me know if you stop to talk to anyone else :) )
Velox
 player, 34 posts
Tue 29 Aug 2017
at 17:38
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox considered stopping and talking to others, he knew he probably should, but they had a goal and it was time to achieve that.

He looked to his companion and said, "Oren, are you good if we go straight to the Lord's house or do you want to stop and talk to anyone else?"
Oren Stonebreaker
 player, 31 posts
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 20:17
Seeking Lord Rufus
Oren looked around, shrugging.  "I think we should go the Lord's house, lad.  There is time later to talk around once we get back from the bandit situation."  The dwarf spoke honestly, gesturing to the building under construction.
Velox
 player, 35 posts
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 13:02
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox nodded and moved on as Oren had indicated.
DM
 GM, 157 posts
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 13:43
Seeking Lord Rufus
In reply to Velox (msg # 36):

You follow the path over the starts of the ramparts and earthworks towards the main tower. It is 55 feet tall, the tallest structure in these parts and situated on a hill making it easily defensible. As you approach the entrance you can tell there are two catapults on a parapet level two floors above the floor you are approaching and you think there are ballista on the roof. Indeed a pretty strong tower for such a small hamlet.

The drawbridge is down and the door open. A guard stands just inside the entrance. Looking above you see murder holes in the entryway and flanking it's sides are arrow slits. There is an inner iron door that is closed.

You move on into the main hall.

Flanking the inner portal are two fireplaces, where most of the cooking is done by two to three servants. The lords of the place sit in judgement either here or at a table in the curved alcove. Trestle tables can be extended down and across to accommodate about 40 people when a feast or revel is held. Several comfortable chairs are placed along the walls, and the walls themselves are hung with tapestries and decorated with shields, arms, and hunting trophiesó12 shields, four long swords, two broad swords, four spears, two battle axes, and the heads and horns of various creatures. Ramps curving upwards and downwards lead to other levels.

A robed man wearing fine robes looks up from one of the chairs where he has been reading. He smiles as he rises.

Another man dressed in chain mail comes down the ramp that leads upstairs.

The robed man asks "What are your names, and what is your business in Hommlet?"
Velox
 player, 36 posts
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 15:25
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox bows and says as he rises, "I'm Velox, defender of the free, champion of Trithereon, or so I hope to be. And my friend is Oren Stonehammer. We are here with a band of other men and women to learn what we can of the bandits that have plagued the area and will then set out to put an end to their banditry."
Burne
 NPC, 1 post
 His Most Worshipful Mage
 of Hommlett
Sat 2 Sep 2017
at 06:12
Seeking Lord Rufus
"It is good to meet you Velox, servant of Trithereon. I am Burne, His Most Worshipful Mage of Hommlett. I am a follower St. Cuthbert." he begins then pointing to the fighter in chain "This is Lord Rufus."

Lord Rufus moves near the wizard but does not seem overly hostile. Rufus weapon of choice seems to be the battleaxe. His shield is emblazed with the Symbol of St. Cuthbert, he might be something more than a fighter, perhaps a paladin.

"So you've come to fight bandits, that's good. I'm glad you took the time to come here. I'm willing to assist you as far as we can. However unlike the old days we cannot take the fight to the field of battle as we have obligations to the town and this fortress. I believe the Viscount of Verbobonc has placed a bounty on the scalps of bandits. You may collect that bounty here if you wish rather than traveling back to Verbobonc. I do not believe either of you are wizards, but if you have such in your group I could arrange to assist them with scrolls if you like, perhaps even exchange a spell or two." Burne continues.
Velox
 player, 37 posts
Sat 2 Sep 2017
at 14:53
Seeking Lord Rufus
"Thank you for the offer. You wouldn't happen to know any divine spells, would you? I will be sure to relay that offer to those in the group that can cast arcane spells as I'm sure they would welcome the opportunity to trade spells and talk shop."

He paused and then said, "We just learned that Jaroo's protege has likely been kidnapped, or worse. I hope to set out soon to see if we can give him any aid. Do you feel as though your militia here is capable of protecting Hommlet while we are away?"

Burne
 NPC, 2 posts
 His Most Worshipful Mage
 of Hommlett
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 04:00
Seeking Lord Rufus
"Hommlet is in safe hands I can assure you." Burne says "Jaroo has not reported his missing apprentice to us. I do hope they are well. I suppose since he is of the Old Faith and we worship St. Cuthbert he did not want to seek our help. We have much work to do to prove ourselves to the town's residents yet."

"I cannot help you with divine magic, however you could speak to Canon Terjon at the St Cuthbert chapel, he might be able to assist you in such endeavors." Burne suggests.
Velox
 player, 38 posts
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 12:58
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox bowed once more and said, "Thank you for the advice kind sirs. My last request would be that myself and my allies be permitted to 'adventure' in this area. We'd like your blessing or at least permission to seek out the bandits and any other menaces to the freedom and safety of all people under your purview."

He wasn't sure about his use of the word purview, but it sounded like something one of his fellow knights would have said...
Burne
 NPC, 3 posts
 His Most Worshipful Mage
 of Hommlett
Mon 4 Sep 2017
at 05:05
Seeking Lord Rufus
"We welcome your aid young Velox and that of your friends." Burne says "You have my permission, all I ask is that you report in with me to keep me informed as you visit town after your sorties out."

Velox
 player, 39 posts
Mon 4 Sep 2017
at 05:12
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox nodded and said, "Of course. I or one of my companions will seek you out to report as soon as we have returned and we will send messages with any items of great note that you should be apprised of while we are in the field."

He bowed once more and looked to see if Oren had anything to add.
Oren Stonebreaker
 player, 34 posts
Wed 6 Sep 2017
at 21:27
Seeking Lord Rufus
Oren keeps quiet, letting the young man speak.  At the butchering of his name, he rolls his eyes, but holds his peace.  As the two interact, he begins to enjoy the Lord of Hommet.  "I thank ye, Lord Burne.  I be Oren Stonebreaker, and we hope to aid your lands with your permission."  He spoke, bowing.  As they are given permission, Oren grins, and gives a thanks, bowing again to leave with his fellow traveler.
Velox
 player, 41 posts
Fri 8 Sep 2017
at 02:30
Seeking Lord Rufus
As they leave Velox asks, "There seemed to be a tavern back a ways, should we wait for our companions there?"
Oren Stonebreaker
 player, 35 posts
Fri 8 Sep 2017
at 08:21
Seeking Lord Rufus
Oren nods his head in agreement.  "Aye, though I wish fer better days when me coin purse isn't so empty..."  He spoke, following the young man to the tavern.
DM
 GM, 172 posts
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 05:04
Seeking Lord Rufus
In reply to Oren Stonebreaker (msg # 47):

You guys can talk a bit, another group got to the WElcome Wench first and so I need to give them a bit of time to RP there :)
Velox
 player, 42 posts
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 11:06
Seeking Lord Rufus
We can't just join in?
DM
 GM, 174 posts
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 12:50
Seeking Lord Rufus
In reply to Velox (msg # 49):

Well in a bit :), but they didn't wander around and talk as much as you did, its the other two in town, not the guys from the Grove :)

I need to give them a chance to earn a little xp bonus too so they are equal to you guys :).....only Saralessa will be behind but that's because she ran from the fight....
DM
 GM, 181 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2017
at 12:08
Seeking Lord Rufus
Guys I'm hoping to get you to the tavern soon :)

You can of course talk among yourselves on the way back :)
DM
 GM, 187 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 14:40
Seeking Lord Rufus
Velox and Oren arrive back at the Welcome Wench :)
Velox
 player, 43 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 01:08
Seeking Lord Rufus
Is there a separate thread for that?
DM
 GM, 189 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 05:11
Seeking Lord Rufus
I added you to their thread, Exploring Hommlet :), if I didn't do it right let me know :)
Velox
 player, 44 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 11:09
Seeking Lord Rufus
Not seeing it.
DM
 GM, 190 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 14:00
Seeking Lord Rufus
In reply to Velox (msg # 55):

Okay maybe now?
Velox
 player, 45 posts
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 16:49
Seeking Lord Rufus
Yep. I see it now!