(IC) Sunless Citadel.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 90 posts
Fri 5 Apr 2019
at 17:55
(IC) Sunless Citadel
The road leads further southwards. Its desolate besides the occasional farm but for some reason there is fewer green areas for cattle. The farms look barren from this distance. Mountain stops, cat over his shoulder and grunts before pointing at where the cattle was and the bodies. There is nothing but old bloodstains. He kneels down and grabs something from the ground. A needle, perhaps about 2" long. There are some here and there."Saw bodies. Looked clawed." He can talk?
Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 31 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 08:45
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Claw marks and puncture wounds. Can't be too many creatures that exist that have the capability of leaving both those types of wounds. Anyone have any ideas," he asked the rest of the group as he examined the area where the bloodstains were to see if there were any tracks or clues that he could discern.
Malus Everdark
 Tielfling Duskblade, 34 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 09:13
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Mmmm, i'll have to take a closer look at this" Malus said as he walked over to Mountain and looked at the strange needle, thinking hard on to wich creature could use needles like this.

OOC:  what knowledge check should i make on this ?
Martek Grandull
 Dwarf Cleric, 18 posts
 Dwarf Cleric
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 15:07
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Not sure what I could be.  I'll inspect one of the needles though.  Could be poison."

Martek walked over and picked up a needle.   Inspecting it, he looked for a sticky sap or something discolored about it.
Xanthia Stillwater
 Grey Elf Wizard, 31 posts
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 15:52
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Xanthia paused, "If it wasn't for the needles I would have thought some form of undead blood sucker" She said, looking around she scowed her memory to see if she could remember anything about this area.

OCC:
16:52, Today: Xanthia Stillwater rolled 14 using 1d20+8.  Knowledge History.

Martek Grandull
 Dwarf Cleric, 19 posts
 Dwarf Cleric
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 23:09
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"It isn't poisoned."

He sighed with relief, but it was still a strange weapon.

As an afterthought he squeezed with with both hands and tried to break it away from his body.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 94 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 15:47
(IC) Sunless Citadel
The goliath lets them investigate and looks around. His eyes narrow and he puts the cat down. Mountain grunts, looking now southwards."Rumors of a citadel sunk down. South." He looks at the others then starts to head down the road.

The needle doesn't snap that the dwarf holds with it being a small item.
Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 32 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 06:08
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Except no one mentioned that the cattle or the farmhand of being drained of blood, which would be a key detail in their deaths. There were puncture wounds and claw marks on the bodies, so maybe they crossed into a creature's territory and it lashed out," proposed Jacob as he thought over the information that they had.

Turning his head toward where the goliath was going, Jacob turned to look back at his companions. "So should we follow him or let him go his own way?"
Xanthia Stillwater
 Grey Elf Wizard, 33 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 06:34
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"I think we should follow" Xanthia suggested looking around for Tesilis, she scooped the cat up sliding him into her robe pocket, the cat snuggled up next to her, "I would rather be with him if we encounter anything" she smiled.
Malus Everdark
 Tielfling Duskblade, 36 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 18:42
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Malus nodded as he looked around before looking at the rest "Let's do that, perhapse, whatever attacked the people and livestock, maybe came from this sunken citadel" he said as he followed after Mountain.
Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 34 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 08:07
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Well, let's hurry and catch up with him before he gets too far away from us. I'd rather not get lost out here without our guide when there is some sort of creature roaming around," stated Jacob as he hurried off after the Mountain.
Xanthia Stillwater
 Grey Elf Wizard, 34 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 13:50
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Xanthia broke into a jog to follow Jacob and Malus, "You know running is so womanly" She teased as she followed the mountain, the sudden jostling made Tesilis give out a small meow of complaint from his pocket.

"There there," She cooed to her familiar as she moved her robe to cushion him.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 104 posts
Sun 21 Apr 2019
at 23:22
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Mountain waits at the top of the citadel.

The old road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut up from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep but narrow cavern. Two of the pillars stand straight but most lean against the sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrounded depth. A few similiar paths are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.  Mountain points out there are several camp sites but they are old, perhaps a month. There is a sturdy rope leading down.
Martek Grandull
 Dwarf Cleric, 21 posts
 Dwarf Cleric
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 02:10
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Martek had followed quietly and waited for the others to go ahead.

Pacing himself in a field run, he hurried to follow the others.

All he could do is look over the scene as it loomed before him.

"Do we climb down and investigate now?  I vote yes, and say we go look around but also try and find a good place to shelter for the night.?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:34, Tue 23 Apr 2019.

Malus Everdark
 Tielfling Duskblade, 37 posts
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 07:02
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"We could go down now but maybe we could check the old camp sites here if there are any useful items before we head down" he suggested while carefully looking down the ravine where they had to go down in. Letting out a soft hum, he stepped back "Otherwise, I wouldn't mind going down right now, just thought but I wonder how many have entered here seeing all the old sites".

This message was last edited by the player at 11:14, Tue 23 Apr 2019.

Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 36 posts
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 10:37
(IC) Sunless Citadel
"Given how old the campsites look, I'm sure that someone has come up with the same notion to salvage whatever may have been left behind if anything at all, but if you want to look then a couple of us could climb down below while you do so. I volunteer to go down first," stated the warmage as he followed suit with what others had done by looking down into the ravine.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 108 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 22:22
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Order:
Jacob, Mountain, Malus, Martek, Xanthia

The goliath watches Jacob moving to go down the rope and he goes down the small ledge, climbing down if needbe. As Jacob lands, with the goliath nearbye, something seems to be wrong. Poking up from the rubble, a large rat hisses. It gets up and stares at Jacob. Another rat pokes his head up, and then another looking to want to put Jacob into a pincer hold! The only person able to move is Mountain and Jacob before they charge! Everyone else is about 15' away!

From here, you can make out the bottom. At the edge of sight a fortress emerges from the darkness. The subterranian citadel though impressive, seems long forgotten if the lightless windows cracked cressellations and leaning towers are any indication. A cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

OOC
Initiative!

The group is up above the main courtyard on a small outcropping.

Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 39 posts
Mon 6 May 2019
at 05:53
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Glancing at the rats that were surrounding him, Jacob readied his mace and shield while taking up a defensive stance.

action: Full Defense (AC: 20)

00:45, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 4 using 1d20+2. Initiative Roll.

Malus Everdark
 Tielfling Duskblade, 40 posts
Thu 9 May 2019
at 10:42
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Watching them reach the bottom , he was about to move towards the rope before the rats suddenly came out of the rubble. Surprised for a moment, he started to think of ways to help them.

OOC: 12:42, Today: Malus Everdark rolled 22 using 1d20+3. initiative Malus.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:02, Thu 09 May 2019.

Martek Grandull
 Dwarf Cleric, 24 posts
 Dwarf Cleric
Sun 12 May 2019
at 02:02
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Martek hears the noise down below and want to move down to help.

Not wasting any time, he moves and begins to climb down to help Jacob.

21:58, Today: Martek Grandull rolled 13 using 1d20+5.  Initiative.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 110 posts
Mon 13 May 2019
at 01:20
(IC) Sunless Citadel
The tiefling waits, watching what is going on.

Mountain growls and charges one of the rats! He misses!

Xanthia goes full defensive.

Martek starts to climb down to help.

Two of the rats charge Jacob! They both hit!
Jacob: Take 4 Damage.
Make 2 Fort Saves DC 11 each.


The other rat bites at Mountain and misses!

Jacob goes full defensive.

Group is up!
Keep in mind you can go down the rope or move along the edge going downwards to get there.
Malus (22)
*Above
Mountain (15)
Xanthia (15)
*Above
Martek (13)
*Climbing down the rope/will get there next round
---------------------------------
Dire Rat x3 (13)
---------------------------------
Jacob (04)

Malus Everdark
 Tielfling Duskblade, 41 posts
Mon 13 May 2019
at 10:14
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Malus quickly follows after Martek to get down to help the others.
Jacob Richardson
 Human Warmage, 40 posts
 HP: 10/14; AC: 16
 Fort 1; Refl 2; Will 3
Wed 15 May 2019
at 07:12
(IC) Sunless Citadel
Wincing from the pain of the bites, Jacob focuses in on one of the rats and strikes out with his mace to take one of them out.

02:07, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 20 using 1d20+1. Fortitude Save.
02:06, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 19 using 1d20+1. Fortitude Save.
02:10, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 10 using 1d20+5.  Mace Attack vs. Dire Rat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:46, Wed 15 May 2019.