Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare.   Posted by Iweko the first.Group: 0
Iweko the first
 GM, 37 posts
Thu 14 Sep 2017
at 16:06
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
All around the lion sailors worked, loading and offloading cargo, repairing ships, and setting of for some unknown destination. Akodo Jubei held in his hand a scroll that would get them to the mantis he sought. The kanji were precise and to the point, it enabled the bearer to bring it to the lion and "claim a gift, for having assisted the descendants of Akodo." it was a valuable scroll, and one that would guarantee them passage on any ship heading to Mura Saibishi Toshi. On the other hand, if they could convince one of the less reputable captains to carry them, it would save them the scroll, leaving them a powerful resource...
Ikoma Daichi
 player, 19 posts
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 19:19
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Ikoma Daichi bows to the young woman, a Sparrow Clan samurai; those nearby hear him say something to the effect of, "Thank you for the most enjoyable evening, Suzume-san." She returns his bow and walks away. Watching her recede, Daichi allows an appreciative smile to light his face, then he turns and joins his Lion companions.

"Well, then," he says, clapping and rubbing his hands together, "how shall we proceed, my friends? There are many ships here, at least a good measure of which should be sailing to Mura Sabishii Toshi. Shall we simply choose one and get underway...?"

His voice trails off as another young woman, a Doji draped in a resplendent, layered kimono, passed by. She was obviously someone of importance on her way to a ship for passage to...somewhere. Taking in her lithe form, Daichi noted how the dockyard crowd parted around her...probably because of the dour Kakita who accompanied her, no doubt her yojimbo and probably a skilled kenshinzen. Daichi followed the woman with his eyes, until they locked with those of the Kakita. The Ikoma offered a pleasant smile and bowed, but got only a perfunctory bow and a hard glare in return.

Straightening, Daichi sniffed. "The esteemed Crane do, indeed, embody perfection," he said, keeping his voice low enough for only his companions to hear, "especially when it comes to their perfectly annoying arrogance."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:20, Fri 15 Sept 2017.

Akodo Jubei
 player, 17 posts
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 18:44
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Jubei tucked away the scroll for now away from prying eyes and listened to Ikoma.

He likewise couldn't resist a glance at the young woman, but respectfully kept his head and gaze down as she passed along with her escort thus was spared eye contact of any sort.

"I like to think that facing the disdain and arrogance of others is the celestial order's way of testing our character." he said diplomatically.
"But I have found the crane to be more agreeable in person then they are in public, let's keep this in mind when we are negotiating with them."

He changed the topic back to their mission.

"Given the scroll we have been granted for this purpose, it goes without saying we should secure the services of the swiftest ship we can find. Only ah..I don't know much about ships so not quite sure what the best ship is, should we just ask around?" he said with a slight shrug.

The possibility of NOT using the scroll didn't even occur to Jubei.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:23, Mon 25 Sept 2017.

Matsu Yuuko
 player, 11 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 09:12
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
"Why not ask them?" Proposed Matsu stepping forward, as if volunteering herself. "While we may be ignorant, those who sail them are bound to know about their vessels." Her claim could be labeled naive or absolutely right, either way she was eager to question them, perhaps by virtue of never sailing before. "That is, if you are in agreement with the idea..."
Ikoma Daichi
 player, 20 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 16:24
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Daichi grins at Jubei. "Crane arrogance a test of our character? Then, after a thousand years of having them as our...neighbors...we Lion should all be in Yomi now, eh?"

If the Ikoma regrets his irreverence--as mild as it might be--he doesn't show it. Instead, he nods to Yuuko. "Indeed, what I know about boats is that they float--ideally, anyway--and that they generally travel in the direction of their most pointed end. The wind has something to do with it, too." With a genial shrug, he turns to a nearby group of sailors.

"You there...you are all mariners, I presume. My esteemed companions and I have a need for a swift and reliable vessel to carry us to a particular destination. Point such a craft out to me...mindful of the fact, of course, that if you are less than correct, you will be guilty of impeding the lawful and righteous business of the Lion Clan and, by extension, that of the Throne itself." With an exaggerated casualness, he rests his hand on hilt of his katana and smiles. "That would be a most grave offense, of course. And you being loyal subjects of the Empire, you would do your utmost to avoid committing such an offense...no?"
Iweko the first
 GM, 38 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 18:37
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
the man, a peasant obviously, jumps a bit at the samurai pointing at him. He then quickly bows and points out a couple of ships. "that depends on where you wan'ta go, sama. Headin' up north, and assuming y'er willing t'pay, there's a crane trade ship heading towards phoenix lands. The Broken Coi, i believe. There's also some fishin' vessels that will take you a day or two north, but more than that and their lords will think they've gone pirate. South there's quite a few more. There's Yasuki Moaki's ship, the Delicate Gamble, i'm pretty sure he's taking some mercenaries down further into crane lands, or may mantis, can't remember. Uhm, there's Hiruma Bakuga, he's an old codger, but his ships fast'r than anything else round these docks, though once you step foot on the Sparrow's Widow you'll be expected to work the same as any of his crew. Only other one I can recommend of the top of me head is Aitaki, named after her owner. It's a mantis that owns that one, and i can't likely think of better sailors."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 18:37, Mon 25 Sept 2017.

Ikoma Daichi
 player, 21 posts
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 19:35
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Daichi offers a perfunctory nod back to the peasant, mostly to just acknowledge that he had heard the man's words. Turning back to his companions, he says, "Well, it would seem we are spoiled for choices. I would seem to me, though, that the..." He frowns. "The Aitaka? The Ataki? The last one the peasant mentioned, anyway, would be a good one to try. The Mantis are...or, at least, claim to be...loyal servants of the Empire. More, we can tell the master of that ship that we must meet up with some of his clan-mates on business important to both our clans."

He sniffs. "The other ships as described by this heimin sound like like a sea-borne brigand on the one hand, and a Crab sailor on the other...and no need to involve another clan, yes?"
Akodo Jubei
 player, 19 posts
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 18:27
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Jubei smirked a bit at Ikoma's retort. Though he really shouldn't, it was a little funny after all...

He stayed silent as Ikoma presented their query to the peasant, and retained an all too practiced neutral expression during the exchange to hide his discomfort.

"Thank you for your help" he added once  the peasant finished.

He nodded in agreement with Ikoma as they discussed their next move.

"Either the Ataki or the Sparrow's widow seem like the best of our options. I'd normally be wary of traveling on another clan's ship in these times but since our interests align with the mantis, we can trust them. As for the sparrow's widow, I do not mind working to earn our passage if it means we can reach our destination faster."

Then he suddenly remembered something. "Though i was hoping to work on a painting during our voyage as a gift to the cranes. Pah no matter, i'll make do. What shall it be then?"

He glanced at Yuuko as if soliciting her opinion.
Matsu Yuuko
 player, 12 posts
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 12:12
Docks of Kyuden Doji, 13th day of the month of the Hare
Yuuko on the other hand simply could not approve of how Daichi almost beat the information out of the peasant, with a single swift stroke, he had sunk himself with the likes of the so called Unicorn they met not too long ago. Matsu didn't know the first thing about sailing so the simple descriptions laid before her sure were helpful.

"I would have to agree with Ikoma here, the mantis ship does sound like our best choice, famed sailors with common interests and loyalties. All we really need, considering that we aren't particularly shot on time." The bushi was still surprised they would have her truly weight in the decision but then again, with such a small party and as far as she could tell no defined leader, even someone as unimportant as her id get a say every so often.