Session #2: The Goddess of Barrowmound.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 119 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 15:11
Session #2:  The Goddess of Barrowmound
You all wake or reternal from your watch. The night was uneventful, nothing more than a few bats or small rodents scurried nearby. Over the evening though, winds picked up causing clouds to roll in. It didn't quite look ready to pour down by morning, but it gave the start of the day a depressed grey feeling.

While you eat breakfast and gather your rhings, you are free to finalize your plans on where to go next. What do you all do?

(OOC: Don't worry about eating another ration, I'll include it as being half a ration for dinner, half for breakfast. You definitely need to decide where to go soon or I might make SOMETHING happen >:D muhahaha)

This message was last updated by the GM at 20:43, Fri 27 Oct 2017.

Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 119 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 15:18
Session #2
I get moving around camp, to work out the mornin' creaks. My cut is healin' up, but it's gonna pull somethin' fierce and reopen if I ain't careful. Wouldn'tcha know my neck and voice have only gotten worse.

I manage to croak out a remind of the plan to head to civilization. I situate my rig, with Petey goin' on last, after a little prayer that's between him and me. Then I look toward where I think we're headed, and wait for Fledge to head us out.
Viserion of the Wood
 player, 47 posts
 Elf of the forest islands
 HP-21/21, Armor=1
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 16:00
Session #2
Viserion attempts to find some food for the rest of the group, mostly likely fruits and berries. He prefers not to eat meat, although he understands if others do. In his various other forms, he does eat as the beasts do-which sometimes involves hunting of course.

He suggests that they act on the Goblin's information. If there is a portal to the faylands, or even one that had been opened recently, he should be able to detect it. Then they might be able to discover some clues to give them more information about what was happening.
Fledge
 player, 56 posts
 Veteran Goblin-Hunter
 HP 20/20
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 16:04
Session #2
Fledge doesn't sleep well, and is up early. He's slightly disappointed to find the goblin still alive, but that conversation has been had so there's nothing for it but seeing to business. Maybe once they get somewhere it'll be different, they can hand the wretch over, and then...

No, first things first. Fledge breaks camp quickly, long habituated to sleeping outdoors and staying mobile. He makes sure their captive is bound well--almost too well--hand and foot, and gagged for good measure. He then slings the goblin across Grumble's more than ample back, like so much cargo.

"You really think you can find something, Viserion?" He stares over the horizon. "It's not far to town from here, we might get word if something strange is up. But that might cost us a day, and I don't know how these portal things work. Maybe the trail goes cold."
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 120 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 16:35
Session #2
Well, looks like we're changin' horses, so t'speak. Presumably, those countermandin' the plan have their own plan. When someone decides just what it is, I'll follow it. Meantime, I reckon there's no point weighing in, if it's just gonna change. Anyways, no one wants to hear my busted-up voice this early in the mornin'.
DM
 GM, 120 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 17:49
Session #2
Viserion, you currently only sense the energy of the old tree portal. It might be that you are just too far from any others at the moment to feel them or something is masking them. You can't be too certain as of now.

Fledge, you know of a halfling town about a day's trip from here. This is probably where the two young ones came from. A week south is the human settlement of DiWerth that you left before we came into the Hill Country proper. There is of course your original destination, a town that has gone through a strange and sudden change of worship. Could be worth checking out.

There are probably other settlements that you know of if you'd rather head to those. Halfling homes and human holds even farther north or east.

You know halflings usually have a knack for meeting other travelers and learning of happenings far outside of their own lands. So it wouldn't be a complete waste to check out what news they might have gathered.

So if that's where you all agree with going, we can move on our way.(OOC: Dame Helena, you still haven't chosen to go on a true "quest" yet, right?)

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:02, Tue 24 Oct 2017.

DM
 GM, 125 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 23:27
Session #2
Once everyone is loaded up and finished with their morning duties you all leave the campsite. With one last glance at the burial site you begin your march toward your original destination, the town the Fledge told you of. Barrowmound is home to a burly men and contentious traders. But Fledge tells you that recently began to become more religious minded, possibly to the point of zealotry. A strange new diety seems to have garnered their interests and their trade seems to be burgeoning in addition to or as a result.

You head north east for most of the day and a light drizzle haa begun to fall. The rain only grows heavy as you get within miles of the town. Through the cover of grey you see a tall wall made of pointed logs lashed together. Poking out from over the wall are two guards in rain-proof leather cowls. They shout for you to halt and state your business. They especially seem wary of Grumble. One guard keeps a bow trained on him.

What do you do?
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 126 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 23:39
Session #2
I step in front of Grudge, real casual like, with m'shield slung, and Peter dozin' away. I make a throat-clearin' sound by way of makin' sure the guards know that I know what I'm doin' and also that one of my friends oughtta speak up, rather than me try to yell up to those boys.
Fledge
 player, 63 posts
 Veteran Goblin-Hunter
 HP 20/20
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 12:05
Session #2
Fledge eyes the guard with the bow for a minute, unhappy with the implied threat to his bear, but has to admit it is reasonable to be afraid of good ol' Grumble if you didn't know him. Or he didn't like you. Fledge reaches up and pats Grumble on the shoulder to keep him calm, then steps forwards with his hands out and empty.

"Peace friends. This is Barrowmound, yes? We're just looking to get off the road for a night or two. We ran across some goblins yesterday, the comforts of a good town would be a nice change."
Cinderclaw
 player, 63 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 12:28
Session #2
Cinder did not have much to gather after their night's rest, and so was ready to proceed as quick as you like.  The walk was not a bother to him, but the rain was beginning to make him feel as though he would not be able to conjure his flames, which was pointedly ridiculous, but there was just a touch of concern at the back of his mind.  Still, they reached this town in good time, and Cinder put thoughts of dampness out of his mind.

He did, however, eye the guard curiously when he raised his bow and pointed it at the bear.  Regardless of how it looked, the bear was a companion who had proved his worth and if any tried to end its life, Cinder would not be best pleased.  With this in mind, he kept an eye on the guard with the bow as Fledge spoke, with both hands free to gesture and conjure should it be needed.
Istvan Vanoson
 player, 100 posts
 HP: 23/23
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 12:36
Session #2
That ought to calm them down, thought Istvan, approving of what Fledge had said. No one could possibly question what Fledge had said, when they had a very tied-up goblin on the back of the bear as proof...
DM
 GM, 126 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 13:08
Session #2
The guards  talk to others at ground level and through the constant patter of rain you can make out the phrases "a goblin?", "the bear" and towards the end "may she bless us". After a wait made to seem longer as you sit in the drenching weather, the wooden gates swing open and the guards usher you in with weapons still aimed at the animal companion.

You find yourself in a relatively large town encircled by the tall wooden wall. It has obviously been around long enough to have well built buildings and a good trade infrastructure. A large covered area holds a mound of lumber logs on their sides. Other areas seem designated to fur trade and butchery. There is even a small smithy.

One important thing you notice is a statue that is just 5 feet under the height of the walls and made of bundled together twigs, the shape is decidedly feminine and a fur collared cloak has been sewn together and strewn over the shape as if it were a real person.

The other thing you notice that on each doorway there are smaller whittled statuettes depicting a similar female and as you pass you pick up on their smaller details. A face hidden by a cloak and hands wrapped in vines holding a blossoming flower.


At the exact center of the town there is an impressive building, clearly one of the first built and improved upon since then. If you had to hazard a guess you would say this was the town hall though recent changes have made it seem almost church like. Ivy is strewn over every entrance, punctuated with a flower at the center over the doors. The guards usher you toward and into this building. What are you all doing?
Viserion of the Wood
 player, 48 posts
 Elf of the forest islands
 HP-21/21, Armor=1
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 14:14
Re: Session #2
Fledge:
"You really think you can find something, Viserion?" He stares over the horizon. "It's not far to town from here, we might get word if something strange is up. But that might cost us a day, and I don't know how these portal things work. Maybe the trail goes cold."


"I did sense one old portal, my Forest brother." The elf replied. "However, given its age it could lead anywhere in the faylands, and no doubt the other elf is gone. Tracking would be possible, but only on the other side. And being in an alien world might be hard going, as none of you have been to the faylands, and I only in my youth."


Once inside the town, Viserion makes sure to keep his hood on. Elves where rare, and humans did not always have the best of relations with them. Granted there was no war, but sometimes it veered close to that. Of course Viserion had heard rumors to the existence of half elves...but those seemed to be silly human myths.

Upon seeing the town hall, the elf is at once drawn to the Ivy. He moves to touch it, trying to see if the plant would share its knowledge with him...
DM
 GM, 127 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 16:05
Re: Session #2
Viserion, you give the ivy a once over and as near you can tell it's typical verdant ivy. It's common in regions like this and usee in many spring festivals. It usually doesn't flower though, and there ARE a few other ivys that look similar.

11:56, Today: DM, on behalf of Viserion of the Wood, rolled 5 using 2d6.  Spout Lore (Ivy).
Fledge
 player, 65 posts
 Veteran Goblin-Hunter
 HP 20/20
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 14:30
Re: Session #2
Fledge will have a quiet aside with one of the guards on the way, trying to put them at ease about Grumble. "Don't worry, he... He'll behave himself." But if they have somewhere they'd like him to wait then that'll do for now--a stable would freak out the horses, but a barn or wood shed or just out behind the timber mill or something. Fledge does like to have Grumble close by, but it might not be worth any antagonism right now.

"Hey, this is different than the last time I saw it. It's been a while. It's... Nice." Fledge may have been this way before, he doesn't have terribly specific memories but he figures he'd remember a nature cult, or whatever this is. Chatting lightly with the guard, he keeps an eye on them, trying to take cues from their body language. Are they reverent approaching the building? Maybe it is a church now... Or tense, to suggest they're expecting something to happen inside? Is someone important in there they revere? So many questions.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:30, Thu 26 Oct 2017.

Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 130 posts
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 14:38
Re: Session #2
Well now, this is interestin'. Not too surprisin', though. I've heard tell of how off-shoot religions can spring up, 'specially 'round nature or some uppity hearth god. Don't know as I recall runnin' into one myself, or how the paladinhood would deal with it. Me, I'm content to observe, 'less they're thinkin' about convertin' me, or the like.

I should prolly talk with their head man - or woman, like as not.
Viserion of the Wood
 player, 49 posts
 Elf of the forest islands
 HP-21/21, Armor=1
Thu 26 Oct 2017
at 16:43
Re: Session #2
In reply to DM (msg # 14):

(OOC-Do I get an xp for that?)