Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort.   Posted by Dungeonmaster.Group: 0
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 19 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 14:01
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort

Please read your "Setup information" private massage before posting.


Brightness has turned to darkness.

The morning was glorious and warm, the sky perfectly clear over the clearing you woke in. This was not only a beautiful day but was supposed to be an easy one. The night before, Parnell and Breccan, the masters of the eight wagon caravan, told you that you had already reached the area patrolled regularly by troops from Morgansfort. For that reason, the brothers expected no trouble from bandits or humanoid raiders on the last day of the trip.

But now, in the early afternoon, the light has dimmed. An angry-looking overcast has darkened the land, and the road is taking you through a section of forest where the trees are crowded in close to the crumbled pavement of the former Imperial highway. The effect is like passing through a tunnel, dark and claustrophobic.

But the dimness isn't quite enough to hide a flash of movement from you in the trees at the edge of the road. Then another, on the other side! And then there is the zip of an arrow speeding through the air, and an agonized scream from the lead wagon as the driver is struck. Then, the scream is cut off as a second arrow strikes home.

Small, quick forms emerge from the trees, screaming battle cries and waving swords and bows.

Goblins!


Everyone please roll initiative, and post your initiative and your action in your post.  Initiative is 1d6 plus your dexterity modifier. It doesn't matter what order you post in; when I post for the goblins, I'll synthesize your actions into a narrative.

ON EDIT: I'm going to post the AC and HP of monsters in most combat situations. this will speed things up because you'll already know if your attack hits and if your damage is a killing blow, you can narrate it.

The AC for these goblins is 14 and each has 4 hp.

In this first round, if you're using an attack that can only affect a single target, just describe a single goblin and your attack against him. If you're using a spell that can affect several, go ahead and say you're facing several. We'll worry about numbers and more exact placement as we go to later rounds.

Goblin initiative is 2.

Oh...and make sure you have fun!   

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:19, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Gillifian Bristlebeard
 player, 4 posts
 Can you lend me tuppence?
 I've forgotten my wallet
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 15:47
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Gilly had made himself a nest in the cook wagon by piling up the sacks of flour and beans, and despite the jolting of the wheels on the ruts, he had managed to drift off into a dreaming doze in which the luscious charms of the miller's daughter featured significantly. She had been a pretty girl. How was he to know she was only fifteen? All big people looked old enough to him.

The sudden cry of pain woke him instantly and for a horrible moment he thought the miller had caught up to the wagons, but he quickly determined that he was not the specific object of the trouble. Not that this knowledge was particularly comforting. The swarm of nasty goblins with their dog slicers and flint tipped arrows were not a welcome sight.

Quick as a wink, the halfling slipped his trusty sling and a handful of bullets from his pocket. Balancing on the back of the wagon, keeping the water barrel and the supply sacks in front of him as partial cover, he whirled the sling around his head and let loose at the closest of the attackers. Not for him the war cry that attracted attention. Much better the silent and unexpected smack of lead on ugly face.

Rolls


Initiative 1d6 = 5 + 2 (DEX) = 7
Attack with sling 1d20 = 16 + 1 = 17 (I'll roll for damage, or you can, if this is a hit)


Leleanne Gethell
 player, 7 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 16:02
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Leleanne was sat on a wagon, mid-prayer when the commotion hit them. Prior to that, she was asking for guidance on what was her first excursion away from the temple. It hadn't been her choice; her excuses had either been she wasn't ready, or she didn't have enough experience to travel on her own. However, her superior had put her foot down, saying it was the will of Aphrodite for Leleanne to spread love and beauty.

Leleanne's eyes snapped open when she heard the scream. To protect her beauty from the outside world, she was already in her armour. As it slowed, Leleanne pushed herself down from the wagon, and pulled her mace from her belt. Her heart was pounding, but she didn't let that show: her face was a picture of serenity as she stepped forward and looked to cave in a goblin's head.

OOC: 16:59, Today: Leleanne Gethell rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Attack with mace.
16:59, Today: Leleanne Gethell rolled 4 using 1d6.  Initiative.

Dungeonmaster
 GM, 20 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 16:23
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
OOC: You both hit. I'll roll the damage and incorporate it into the end of the round.

Goblins are AC 14.
Each has 4 hp.


Players posting after this post: If you hit, roll damage and (if you wish) incorporate it into your description.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:43, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Wyrran Galaeth
 player, 3 posts
 Elf Magic-User
 hp 8/8, AC 11
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 17:38
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Wyrran always chose comfort over practicality whenever the opportunity arose. In his current situation though, he wondered if he chose poorly: the escorts and guards outside his wagon seemed to travel on their horses more smoothly than the passengers. Perhaps the driver hit every pothole and large stone on purpose...

Those last bumps were the reason he failed to register the first cry as serious. The goblin battle cries on the other hand, had Wyrran on his elven toes in a heartbeat.

Wasting only a single moment to survey the -now battle- field as widely as his wagon allowed, he decided that he had to intervene. A show of magic and a sure hit would dishearten those lowly bandit-wannabes and save some lives hopefully. With some swift gestures and a well-practiced chant, Wyrran pointed at the closest goblin raider and a red magical energy shot forward hitting its target forcefully in the chest. The goblin was pushed back, wide-eyed, as it discovered his life had already left its body.

Wyrran pops his head out and shouts "Defend yourselves!" in case that anybody hesitated or was frightened to act.

Wyrran Galaeth rolled 4 using 1d6+1.  Magic Missile damage.
Wyrran Galaeth rolled 5 using 1d6.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:39, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Glanduil Ulazana
 player, 6 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 18:16
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Glanduil cursed to  himself in Elvish and in a low tone. He had hoped that the others didn't hear but at the moment he did not care that much. Earlier that morning the weather was promising and he was glad to hear that they had reached the patrolled areas. "By the moon of Corellon I do not like the makes of this weather. There is evil afoot I am sure!"

He paused then cursed to himself even more. He always took ill weather as an evil omen and he was rarely correct in that regard. He just did not like being this far from The Iserlangis forest. There he was happy and the weather not unpleasant for the most part. Still, he cursed to himself for being so superstitious. He was an Elf and should know better.

Then he witnessed the attackers and shook his head. Switching to Common, he muttered, "Typical" when he heard the warning from Wyrran.

He grasped the long sword in one hand but then chanted a spell and a blueish light erupted from his free hand and struck the nearest Goblin.

OOC: Casting Magic Missile
14:15, Today: Glanduil Ulazana rolled 5 using 1d6+1.  Magic Missile.
13:59, Today: Glanduil Ulazana rolled 3 using 1d6.  Correct Inititive.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:51, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Carnalore Hostine
 player, 3 posts
 Elven Magic User 2
 AC 10 | HP 7/7
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 18:36
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Carnalore had enjoyed the day. She'd slept well in the clearing, waking early to watch the forest's wildlife wake and go forth, and to study before the caravan set out for the day's travel. She'd been dozy for most of the morning, enjoying the warm air and relatively open woodland. But her spirit and attention heightened with the thickening of the woods and the coming of cool and dim light. She didn't at all feel claustrophobic... more like she was coming home, to an older knot in the forest. Or to a bottleneck.

When the goblins attacked, she was alert and watchful, listening to the woods. Seated in the back of the third wagon amidst its crates and baskets, she saw the small humanoids attacking the caravan. She crouched low behind a small stack of boxes and gestured, a small sliver of light forming along two fingers before she directed it toward one of the visible, hostile goblins.

Initiative: 11:32, Today: Carnalore Hostine rolled 2 using 1d6+1.
Cast Magic Missile. Damage: 11:34, Today: Carnalore Hostine rolled 4 using 1d6+1.

The goblin fell.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:37, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Veskard
 player, 14 posts
 Warrior
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 20:34
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
 Veskard made ready his short bow, and nocked an arrow to the wood. He drew back on the bow string and let fly at one of the Goblins. But it seemed the gods where not with him,as he missed by a league or three.

16:19, Today: Veskard rolled 1 using 1d20.  Short bow attack on Goblin leader, if any.
16:16, Today: Veskard rolled 1 using 1d6.  Init roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:34, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Argon
 player, 4 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8/8HP
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 20:44
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort

Argon readied his sword and shield when he realised something was amiss. He formed skirmish line with everyone else and waited for the goblins to come into range sword in hand.

Argon rolled 1 using 1d6.  Init roll.
Argon rolled 16 using 1d20+1.  Attack.
Argon rolled 7 using 1d8+1.  Damage.

Dungeonmaster
 GM, 22 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 06:15
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Order of Action:
Gilly      7
Wyrran     5
Carnalore  4
Leleanne   4
Glanduil   3
Goblins    2
Argon      1
Veskard    1



Gilly's sling bullet pangs off the helmet of a goblin, causing it to fall over the creature's face. The goblin appears disoriented, but not dead, and is looking around with an angry and confused expression.

Suddenly three flashes of light erupt on the battlefield as three elves--Wyrran, Carnalore and Glanduil--each strike a nearby goblin with arcane energy. Each one's target falls to the pavement with a blackened hole in his chest.

The light highlights the serene beauty of a beautiful blonde human woman who strides forward to meet a charging goblin with a mace in her hand. He nearly ducks beneath her blow...but not quite. She slams the weapon home against his helm, but he still lives. In fact, he hisses through his yellow, jagged teeth and stabs at her, but she steps back out of harm's way.

The goblin Gilly hit is so angry he has decided to throw caution to the winds and come up after the halfling. The creature climbs up the back of the wagon, and tries to hack away at Gilly, but ends up making a lot of splinters for his trouble. Looks like Gilly really rung his bell!

Goblin archers have now begun to support their comrades, and they sensibly decide to take the spellcasters out. Wyrran and Glanduil are both struck, while the arrow intended for Carnalore goes wide.

Veskard can't see a goblin that seems to be the leader, but he does see three archers; they are well-hidden, but he picks them out with ease. His shot at one goes well wide however.

Two goblins come racing in at Argon and Veskard, shrilly screaming the whole way. The one attacking Argon misses as the fighter disembowels him. Veskard is not so lucky: the warrior is trying to sidestep the charge, but the goblin rightly judges which way he will go and strikes a gap in his armor.




Edited to correct the fact that I somehow missed that Veskard was shooting his bow. Duh!

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:38, Tue 10 Oct 2017.

Argon
 player, 5 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC-1 | 8/8HP
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 07:17
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort

Argon moves to the closest goblin and makes a reverse thrust against an exposed portion of the beast. His sword again bites home and deep as he draws the blade free while using his shield to drop the corpse out of the way.


Argon rolled 20 using 1d20+1.  Attack.
Argon rolled 6 using 1d8+1 with rolls of 5.  Damage.


-
Leleanne Gethell
 player, 8 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 11:35
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Leleanne tried to focus on the goblin in front of her, but it was difficult to ignore the grunts of pain from the other members of the caravan. Her goddesses' healing might be required soon.

She gritted her teeth and swung her mace again: Leleanne needed to finish her goblin and move on. Unfortunately, her mace narrowly missed the target, and Leleanne forced down a grunt of frustration.

OOC: 12:28, Today: Leleanne Gethell rolled 12 using 1d20+1.  Attack with mace.
Gillifian Bristlebeard
 player, 5 posts
 Can you lend me tuppence?
 I've forgotten my wallet
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 13:32
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Stupid gobo! cries Gilly, pulling his dagger out and stabbing down at the enraged creature's face.

The sharp blade slices into the ugly creature's neck and blood wells quickly as it screams and lets go of the buck board, falling to the ground as the wagon keep on rolling.

Nasty creatures, Gilly hisses to himself as he wipes his blade clean and takes up his sling again, looking to see if he can aid any of his companions. He will not toss into an active combat, but he will target the archers if he thinks they are in range.

[I'll wait until next round to take the action.]


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Roll 1d20 = 16 (I think he does not get the +1 benefit on the melee attack, but it is still enough to hit!)
Roll 1d4 = 3 HP damage (I'm thinking that's enough to kill him, two successive hits of 3HP on a 4 HP creature, so I wrote it that way.)


Glanduil Ulazana
 player, 7 posts
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 16:22
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Glanduil cries out in pain as he nearly crumples from the pain from the arrow. He glares balefully at the goblins. He realized the Goblin archers poses a formidable threat to him and the others. He was clearly in pain from the arrow. "I am not sure if I am useful at this point." He cries out the others in common.

The then starts to prepare another spell. He thinks for a moment and then not sure but thought it would be amusing. He paused then shouts out in a loud voice in common. "I shall cast a spell that will summon a creature from the depths of hell! They will devour the goblins and tear their flesh from their bones and their souls will forever dwell in eternal fires of hell!"

OOC: Casting shield
Carnalore Hostine
 player, 4 posts
 Elven Magic User 2
 AC 10 | HP 7/7
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 16:24
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Amidst the chaos and noise of the battle, Carnalore focuses to maintain concentration on her role in the fight and not let fear overcome her. She scans the trees for archers. Seeing one, she forms another sliver of light at her fingertips and looses it toward a visible archer.

Initiative: 09:20, Today: Carnalore Hostine rolled 2 using 1d6+1.
Cast Magic Missile. Damage: 09:22, Today: Carnalore Hostine rolled 6 using 1d6+1.

Veskard
 player, 15 posts
 Warrior
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 20:40
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
 Another arrow was nocked at the Warrior let fly with his short bow at one of the Goblin archers. He said a silent prayer to any god that happened to be listening, for better results.


16:43, Today: Veskard rolled 3 using 1d6.  arrow damage.
16:42, Today: Veskard rolled 16 using 1d20.  Arrow attack roll on Goblin archer.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:44, Tue 10 Oct 2017.

Wyrran Galaeth
 player, 5 posts
 Elf Magic-User
 hp 3/8, AC 11
Tue 10 Oct 2017
at 21:21
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Wyrran regrets his boldness earlier, falling on his bottom after the golbin arrow is embedded in his upper arm from the side. He is lucky to have a sturdy build despite his pathetic muscles, but others would not be so lucky. Granduil for instance, seems to be in the same trouble as himself!

Gritting his teeth, he stands up, breaks the end of the arrow and starts chanting right away, pointing to the archer that targeted him. The red magical energy hurts the goblin badly.

Wyrran Galaeth rolled 3 using 1d6+1.  magic missile damage.
Dungeonmaster
 GM, 24 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 17:52
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Action order:
Wyrran 6
Gilly 6
Argon 4.5
Leleanne 4
Goblins 3.95
Glanduil 3
Veskard 3
Carnalore 2


Wyrran, though wounded, grits his teeth, rises and goes on the offensive again. Another crismon bolt streaks forth from his hand and strikes a goblin archer squarely in the chest. The creature shrieks in pain and a wisp of smoke rises from the crude armor it wears.

Gilly cuts the throat of a goblin and the foul creature drops into the mud. At the treeline, a goblin sees Gilly killing one of his comrades and begins advancing toward the halfling's wagon with an expression of boundless hate, breaking into a run to catch up.

Argon dispatches another goblin, pushing the corpse off his sword with his shield. The goblin appears quite shocked at his fate. He also notices a goblin at the treeline that has seen him and decided to take violent action.

Leleanne swings her mace and misses. The goblin ducks just under her swing and grins a grin full of filthy teeth as he moves to stab her. His attack also narrowly misses. in fact, it's so close she feels the drag of the blade edge on her armor.

The goblin Wyrran hit struggles to recover, then looses an arrow at the mage. It strikes home! He still lives, but is in grave danger.

The other archers try for the casters again. Carnalore is struck by an arrow, while Glanduil's chain mail protects him.

Veskard ignores the goblin that hurt him, bravely placing himself in danger in order to take out an archer. But the pathetic creature slips in the mud and misses widely. Veskard has seen the bright red flash from Wyrran's magic missile striking a goblin archer and he sights in on the creature and impales him, his arrow flying true to stick right through the burn mark Wyrran left on its armor.

Carnalore's sliver of deadly light stabs into an archer, who screeches as he falls from the tree he was hiding in.

Glanduil proclaims that he is summoning "a creature from the depths of hell" that will "devour the goblins and tear their flesh from their bones and their souls will forever dwell in eternal fires".

Some of the goblins waver at hearing this and retreat into cover, but none of them are running away just yet. The faces you see are filled with either hate and determination, or barely-suppressed terror.

The goblins who have murder on their mind for Argon and Gilly will act on it next round. Except for Veskard, none of you have a goblin close to you this round and there's one archer left. So, with the exception of four (one for Argon, one for Gilly, one for Veskard and one archer) the others are holding, presumably to see what will happen with Glanduil's spell. All of you can see goblins that you can make a ranged attack on or move to make a melee attack.

New round: Goblin initiative is 1, so the dice reflect art. :-)

Leleanne Gethell
 player, 10 posts
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 18:31
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Having the goblin's weapon brush her armour sent a chill down Leleanne's spine. She realised this wasn't a day in the temple, or even an adventure accompanied by other members of their order.

Fortunately the goblins seemed to have been intimidated by something, and Leleanne took advantage of the brief respite to survey the battle. The elf wizard in particular seemed to be badly wounded, and Leleanne didn't hesitate. She moved quickly to the elf, and laid her hands on him. "Beautiful Aphrodite, pass your love, through me, onto this traveller."

Healing energy passed through Leleanne, to Wyrran.

OOC: Assuming I read the summary right :-) Please let me know if I didn't.

19:27, Today: Leleanne Gethell rolled 6 using 1d6+1.  CLW.

Argon
 player, 6 posts
 Fighter 2
 AC-1 | 15/15HP
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 20:17
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort

Bracing for the rush of the goblin Argon will use his shield to take the impact and then stabs out with his sword. Argon feels his sword hit but not with the depth he would have liked.

Argon rolled 21 using 1d20+1.  Attack.
Argon rolled 2 using 1d8+1.  Damage.

Wyrran Galaeth
 player, 7 posts
 Elf Magic-User
 hp 7/8, AC 11
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 20:37
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Wyrran feels his life ebbing away, and misses a step after the new grazing hit from another arrow. He takes comfort in Veskard's clean sweep of the attacker who meets his doom, and decides to try to disorient or hurt the last archer in order to let the sturdier people sweep the floor unhindered.

With a swift move, a dagger finds its way from Wyrran's belt into his fingers, and is smoothly thrown. Wyrran's elven finesse has not left him even on the brink of death, and the dagger strikes between the eyes of the last goblin archer as it tried to take aim, quenching the light from them!

Wyrran then falls to one knee after the exertion. He quickly feels two strong but warm healing hands placed upon his wounds. Raising his eyes, he witnesses the beautiful warrior focused on healing him and gasps. "Th... thank you...", he stutters. He is whole again! And the blade of another dagger itches his fingers...

Wyrran Galaeth rolled 19,4 using 1d20+1,1d4.  Thrown dagger attack and damage.
Gillifian Bristlebeard
 player, 7 posts
 Can you lend me tuppence?
 I've forgotten my wallet
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 20:54
Chapter 1: The Road to Morgansfort
Gilly gulps as he sees yet another of the nasty little biters and slicers running towards the cook wagon. He has managed to dispatch one of the little buggers already, but this one seems particularly ferocious. With a loud yelp, he ducks down behind the water barrel in the back of the wagon and burrows under the sacks of beans and rice, but this is only part of a quickly laid scheme. He kicks off one boot and leaves it in plain sight sticking out from under a sack to look as if he is hiding there, and then he sneaks back to another hiding place close by the barrel, hoping to surprise the goblin when he climbs over the buckboard and sees the boot.

OOC: He's setting up for a Sneak Attack on the unsuspecting little blighter, counting on its rage and general stupidity to help carry through with the ruse. You'll have to tell me what rolls he needs to carry this off.