The Call of Doom.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 23 posts
Tue 15 May 2018
at 00:19
The Call of Doom
Dust drifts lazily in the air with each heavy, earth shaking thud of your tired feet as you force your weary soul closer to the town that you see off in the distance.  With the giant orb behind you on the horizon causing the surrounding woods to have the faint appearance of being alight with fire.  This was of course not a real fire, but the effect causes you to pause occasionally to verify that it was not burning to the ground.

As you take several, still ever slow, steps you hear rustling in the tall grass and trees off to your right.  The sounds are not the sounds of normal wildlife looking for food or home.  It is a steady rustling that seems to mimic your own footsteps, but with slightly less tedium than you currently feel.
GM
 GM, 24 posts
Sun 20 May 2018
at 14:40
The Call of Doom
OOC:  What are your plans for this new event?
Balthazar Erelong
 player, 20 posts
Sun 20 May 2018
at 15:43
The Call of Doom
Concerned, but not wanting to draw much attention to this new knowledge, I pull my spear casually off of my back and use it as a walking stick, twirling it every one in a while to add to the effect. I continue walking, keeping tabs on the following shadow out of the corner of my eye.

Can I discern any information from this casual observation?
GM
 GM, 25 posts
Mon 21 May 2018
at 02:14
The Call of Doom
OOC:
There is no shadow, nothing more than noise. Until....



Stepping out of the thickest part of the forest, two boys stroll out with fish tied to the end of sturdy rods.  They appear to be almost to their manhood phase from what you recall of humans, and while not powerfully built they are fit and look sturdy enough to handle themselves in a fight.  Talking to each other, the tallest boy looks your way and nudges his friend.  Stopping, and letting you get a little bit closer he clears his throat.

"Hey mister, are you alright?  You seem to be dragging your feet a bit."

The boy who spoke stands about five and a half feet tall, and has curly red hair that although unkempt at the moment looks well cared for.  Freckles adorn his nose, and he has a small scar over his right eye.  The other boy is roughly five feet tall and has straight black hair.  Sharp blue eyes look around his hawkish nose at you as he sizes you up.  Both boys look unconcerned about your spear being out.
Balthazar Erelong
 player, 21 posts
Mon 21 May 2018
at 13:37
The Call of Doom
Im just tired kid. Been walking for what seems like years, though it was actually only a few days. This plus, Ive got stubby legs and all, I say with a smile. How can I help you boys?
GM
 GM, 26 posts
Mon 21 May 2018
at 13:51
The Call of Doom
The shorter of the two scoffs.  "You... Help us?  You're the one who needs the help sir."

The taller boy smacks his friend in the back of the head hard enough that the shorter one stumbles forward a bit.

"Please forgive Eiden.  He forgets his manners at times."  Giving Eiden a very stern look the taller boy continues. "I'm Micha sir.  And while his thoughts are correct, his words are insolent.  It is more a matter of what can we do to help you?  We are still a few miles out from town, and you look like you could use some...  Well, someone to help carry your load sir."

Waiting for a reply, Micha hands over his supplies from fishing to Eiden.  "Carry these Eiden.  Look, I'm not going to offer for you to help carry his gear...  But I will tell you to carry mine!  So choose then.  Mine, or his?"  This seems to quell Eiden's complaints and he takes the tackle, rod and fish.
Balthazar Erelong
 player, 22 posts
Mon 21 May 2018
at 14:26
The Call of Doom
Oh how kind of you Micha. May the One True God bless you for your generosity, I say as I hand over my backpack, keeping charge of my weapons and armor. "Howd ya get that scar," I ask as I point to the scar over the boys eye.
GM
 GM, 27 posts
Tue 22 May 2018
at 19:38
The Call of Doom
You get a slight sense of embarrassment from Micha after you asked about the scar.  He seems to take it in stride however and answers.

"Well, it was a rather foolish thing that I did as a kid.  Let's just keep it at... I put my hand somewhere that I shouldn't have, and what I brought out didn't like my face all that much."

Suffering the choked laughter coming from Eiden, Micha continued to walk down the road to the town,

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 13:04, Mon 13 Aug 2018.

GM
 GM, 28 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2018
at 14:03
The Call of Doom
As you walk along the road heading northward, the town comes closer and it also becomes more focused.  You can see a fair number of buildings from where you are, but you also see a tall and strong stone wall that appears behind the buildings.  There appear to be docks on the right side of the road, and what look like low roofed buildings on the left that remind you of  a craftsmen community.  There are buildings that continue off to the West, but they soon become lost as the wall juts out and blocks the view of any further view.

OOC:
How would you like these cities to be shared?  Do you want to attempt mapping them yourself, look for a map in the cities, or just have a map shared?

GM
 GM, 29 posts
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 21:22
The Call of Doom
Walking along the road towards the first gate, Micah spoke up.

"We will continue following this road past the temple and into the market square.  On the north-west side of the market there are several stores and two taverns.  One is The Ugly Unicorn, and the other is The Wayward Ship.  Of the two, the Unicorn is the better establishment and I strongly suggest it be where you stay."

At this Eiden scoffs.  "Aye, it is better for your parents coffers!"

Stopping suddenly, Micah's face flushes slightly and Eiden realizes that he has stepped over a line between the two friends.

"I'm really sorry Micah," Eiden stammers.  Flushing in embarrassment, Eiden hangs his head and refuses to look at Micah or Balthazar.

"You are free, of course, to make your own mind up, however, The Wayward Ship is often visited by the guards of the city to keep the peace as the rougher crowd whom work aboard ships tend to bring their... traditions with them."