Tracking Vanthus - Group 1.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 92 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 16:17
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
When the party arrives at the shop in question, it appears to be closed. After a minute or so, a scrappy-looking human man appears at the side of the building. "Y'all lookin' for somethin'?" he asks, eyeing the trio suspiciously.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 81 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Thu 15 Feb 2018
at 12:23
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Ariana's confidence was much higher, given the sudden improvement in her personal life, so she decided to initiate conversation herself. She put on her most disarming and innocent smile, which wasn't difficult, then cleared her throat. "My friend and I represent a small group that wants to study exotic creatures. We've heard there's access to a wider range of creatures if we take a less-conventional route, if you take my meaning. Do you know where we can make such an arrangement?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 97 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 14:36
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
The man scratches the stubble on his chin and raises an eyebrow at Ariana. "Yeah? I think we can help you out... What kind of exotic creatures you lookin' for?"
Story Ilyanore
 player, 116 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 17:59
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Story paused a moment, pleasantly endeared by the smile Ariana puts on. She regains herself shortly afterwards.

"Well, things like monkeys or cats are easy enough to find, but we're thinking of things that are a little more unusual and complicated, and with venom for us to study. Large spiders, snakes, maybe a cockatrice?" Story is fiddling with a small tin as she talks, gesturing with it lightly as she produces two rolled cigarettes, offering one to the man and then lighting one or both if he should accept. "We only have so much of a budget, you see, so the less we spend on tariffs or licenses the better.."
Balthasar
 player, 53 posts
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 20:52
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Balthasar smiles, though no one could see his smile under the wrap that covers the lower half of his face. She's good, he thinks. They both are.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 82 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 22:37
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Ariana followed Story's lead, but in a different way. She made her already large eyes wider, and nodded enthusiastically in the man's direction. The wizardess nearly blurted something out, but decided to keep quiet: Story had said enough.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 98 posts
Tue 20 Feb 2018
at 02:04
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
The man takes a cigarette from Story and leans against the building as he answers her. "Venomous creatures like spiders or snakes... Yeah, we can get those, but a cockatrice? Well, that'll take time, and it'll cost ya, too." He glances around, then leans close to Story. "How much are you willing to spend?"
Story Ilyanore
 player, 117 posts
Wed 21 Feb 2018
at 16:18
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
"Of course, of course. I don't expect results out of nowhere." Story also leans in conspiratorially, following the man's lead. She looks off into the middle distance, issuing a ribbon of cool, silvery blue smoke out of her full lips. She nods thoughtfully. "I mean, we could spend, what.. most of our sizable budget easily if we were confident in those we were giving our money to. We have around one-thousand on hand for a down payment, can't be carrying around tens of thousands at the market of course. We can go over the formalities with whomever is running this operation."

10:17, Today: Story Ilyanore rolled 17 using 1d20+5.  Persuasion (Charisma) Ability Check.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 83 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Wed 21 Feb 2018
at 17:23
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Ariana stood back and admired Story at work, with a small smile on her face. Story was truly gifted at this; she was drawing the man in with a promise of a lot of coin, but finding a way into his circle without committing to anything, or handing anything over.
Story Ilyanore
 player, 118 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 16:43
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
the general plan is to try to try to track Vanthus using smuggler ties
Dungeon Master
 GM, 101 posts
Sat 3 Mar 2018
at 20:44
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
By the end of the day, Story, Ariana, and Balthasar have some possible connections for illegally attaining a basilisk, but have no leads on Vanthus. If he has been active in the Azure District black market, no one seems to remember him.
Balthasar
 player, 54 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2018
at 21:12
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
"What should I report to Hurl tomorrow morning?" Balthasar asks his companions before they retire for the night. "We don't seem to have found much. I'm hoping they had better luck."
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 84 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Sun 4 Mar 2018
at 22:21
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Ariana considered their options. "Our day isn't over yet. I vote we get rooms at the Bloodthirsty Pelican, and take the opportunity to ask around a little. We had no luck at the market, but someone here must have information."
Story Ilyanore
 player, 120 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2018
at 21:21
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Story nodded at Ariana and considered Balthasar's question. "Tell you what, we'll stay up late tonight and ask around and then leave you, Balthasar, a note for the morning's report so we can sleep in. Sound good?"

Assuming there is no disagreement, Story leads on to the Bloodthirsty Pelican to get rooms and a round of drinks started. It would seem her plan is to disguise their inquiries by presenting as a happy girl spending some time with her cute girlfriend.

15:16, Today: Story Ilyanore rolled 17 using 1d20+5.  Persuasion (Charisma) Ability Check- Asking around at the pelican.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 86 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Tue 6 Mar 2018
at 22:33
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
There was no disagreement from Ariana at all. She had been hoping to spend some more time with Story, and even though they were on a mission she felt a sense of excitement at the thought of an evening with the bardess.

Once they had settled with drinks, Ariana felt confident to initiate the odd conversation of her own.

OOC: 22:31, Today: Ariana Evenwood rolled 23 using 1d20+5.  Investigation - asking around at the Pelican.
Balthasar
 player, 55 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2018
at 15:50
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
"Fair enough," Balthasar says. "I'll report to Hurl and the others in the morning and then come back to get you two.

"Stay out of trouble. I'll see you tomorrow."

Dungeon Master
 GM, 103 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2018
at 18:55
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
A few people at The Bloodthirsty Pelican recall seeing Vanthus there, though not recently, at least not in the last few weeks. They tell Ariana and Story that he was usually seen with a woman, Brissa Santos, who is apparently an artist of some sort. No one has seen her lately either, nor does anyone know where she lives or where she might be.
Story Ilyanore
 player, 121 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2018
at 19:37
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Story prepares a note;

While Vanthus likely hasn't been busy in the black market trade of Azure district, he was seen some weeks ago in the Bloodthirsty Pelican with the woman we heard about- her name is Brissa Santos, an artist of some sort.

The next day Story plans to leverage her bardic skills to convince people she is looking for an artists enclave or neighborhood to live in and work on her compositions. She sometimes mentions being friends with Brissa and not knowing where in the city she wound up after bard college.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 87 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Thu 8 Mar 2018
at 12:15
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
While Story took up a different approach to their investigations, Ariana was content to remain in the background. Even with Story's improvements to her appearance, the wizardess wouldn't make a convincing artist or bard.
Balthasar
 player, 59 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 14:28
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
"The other group didn't fare much better than us," Balthasar tells Story and Ariana the next morning. "They knew about Brissa, too. Apparently she used to be a criminal before she became an artist. Hurl wants to use hounds to track Vanthus, but it sounds like the others don't like that idea.

"What do you think we should do today? Should we try a different district? If Vanthus and Brissa haven't been seen here in a few weeks, perhaps they are hiding out elsewhere in Sasserine."

Dungeon Master
 GM, 109 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 18:34
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Story, Ariana, and Balthasar spend the next day asking around about Vanthus and Brissa in the Merchant's District. Many people remember seeing Vanthus there (not Brissa, though); no one has seen him recently. Most people the trio talks to seem to think (or assume) that Vanthus is still living at Vanderboren Manor.
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 91 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 19:00
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
As they wrapped up for the day, Ariana grew frustrated. "It seems odd an artist hasn't been seen in the merchant's district, doesn't it? That is unless she's painting something different, perhaps like portraits of nobles? We could give the ruling district a try tomorrow, assuming the others haven't turned anything up."
Balthasar
 player, 61 posts
Thu 22 Mar 2018
at 01:24
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
"It seems odd that Vanthus and Brissa have both disappeared recently. Perhaps they have fled town completely now that they have the gold from the vault."

Balthasar shrugs. "I hope the others have found something."
Ariana Evenwood
 player, 92 posts
 AC 12 HP 8/8
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 14:03
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Ariana absent-mindedly ran her fingers through her hair. "They could well have fled. If we think that's a possibility, then perhaps someone saw them leave. It's a big city, but there are only so many ways to leave."
Story Ilyanore
 player, 124 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 15:44
Tracking Vanthus - Group 1
Story came back from getting a round of frothy mugs, putting them on the shared table and then hugging Ariana from behind her chair, settling in cheek-to-cheek. "Don't worry, these sorts of things take time. It's hard enough to find someone in a city this size-- not to mention they don't want to be found and have surrounded themselves with people whose livelihood depend on not being discovered."

"As for tomorrow, I think we join up with the others and help in Shadowshore. I'm worried about them and I think looking among the criminal element is becoming the most likely path to success.