Tracking Vanthus - Group 2.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Talora Fisher
 player, 92 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Sat 10 Feb 2018
at 22:36
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Talora gives the server one of those looks that implies a lot of colorful language thought in her direction.

Well considering she wasn't very helpful...was there anyone around here who might be?

<Orange>OOC: Let's try for an insight check.  I wish to find someone who might know what we need.

16:32, Today: Talora Fisher rolled 12 using 1d20+5.  Insight Check who in the bar might know what we seek?
Shana
 player, 157 posts
Sun 11 Feb 2018
at 04:17
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
She rolled her eyes at the bartender, quickly growing annoyed at the lack of progress. She sat back and looked around to see if anything stuck out.




Well talora tried insight, I'll try perception. Rolled a 12, ugh

next post I'm getting reckless :-)

Hurl Firbolge
 player, 108 posts
 Ranger | Fisher/Folk Hero
Sun 11 Feb 2018
at 19:40
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Hurl grunts at the dismissive server. Well, hardly palatable is easy to improve. He just wonders if earning trust of the staff through culinary aptitude is worth the trouble. He hates that it so often seems easier to just bully people for what you want.

He pats his companions on the shoulders after their attempts to parse through the crowd for any useful leads. "We may be here a while, no rush, no fuss. Let's work together. I'll mingle and you keep eyes and ears open. I apologize for my manner, I may play rougher than I like, especially about the ladies."

Hurl scowls, sighs, then rolls up his proverbial sleeves and joins the ill mannered throng. For some time, he laughs along with the crowd, and eventually talks tough when necessary, as most expect from his race. He tries raising the topic of pathetic aristocrats playing at lowbrow life as if it's something worth jeering at, in case it spurs anyone to mention someone like Vanthus. "If I ever see one of these blue blood chumps feigning at hard living and desperate romance as if they know the half of how we love, I wouldn't hesitate to plant one o'my fists in his dainty pretender's face. That's wot."



Invoking Folk Hero feature of Rustic Hospitality to fit in among commoners with ease, since I come from among them. If needed he'll offer a Help to Talora's or Shana to grant advantage on clue hunting. Maybe intimidate, if necessary.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 91 posts
Mon 12 Feb 2018
at 21:58
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Hurl gathers that the owners and employees of the Sleigh Ride don't seem to care who comes through the doors, so long as they pay for the services offered and keep any violence outside, so rather someone is an "authentic" working class customer or just a "lifestyle tourist" is irrelevant to them.

Please be more specific about what it is the party is doing and looking for here.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:00, Mon 12 Feb 2018.

Shana
 player, 159 posts
Mon 12 Feb 2018
at 22:15
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Frustrated at their lack of success and losing patience at the subtle approach, Shana had had enough. She looked at Talora and Hurl and sighed, "OK this is ridiculous. I'm tired of messing around."

She stood up and climbed onto a chair, quickly yelling at the assembled room, her voice carrying over the background noise. "Listen up! I'm looking for Vanthus Vanderboren. Anybody who's seen him recently come see me."

She climbed down and joined her companions, replying to their glares with an apologetic, "What?"
Talora Fisher
 player, 93 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 03:28
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Talora looks confused a second, and then starts playing along. She slumps on the table like she's almost given up after a long argument, "Dammit, girl, it was a one night stand.  Let it go."

OOC: I am currently attempting to give our "audience" a plausible reason for us to be looking for Vanthus that does not put him in danger

 Today: Talora Fisher rolled 12 using 1d20.  Deception.

Shana
 player, 161 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 15:27
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
"No!" she cried at the blue woman, trying to fake some emotion in her eyes. "He said he loved me! We'd be together forever, and now he's vanished! I have to find him, he's my soul mate!"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 93 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 16:20
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
While Shana's stunt momentarily attracts the attention of the patrons and staff of the Sleigh Ride, things quickly return to normal afterward. A couple of people snicker and shake their heads and Shana, but no one comes forward with any information about Vanthus.
Hurl Firbolge
 player, 110 posts
 Ranger | Fisher/Folk Hero
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 16:28
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Hurl snickers at the antics along with the rest, then frowns, "Hmmph. Well dang. Are we ready to try the whalers at the Dolphin? I still think we'd be best off with a hound. If you like, you can stay here, but I'm going to go ask among the sea folk."

He collects his things to go down the way to the Dolphin.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:29, Wed 14 Feb 2018.

Talora Fisher
 player, 94 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 17:30
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
"You..." Talora says, hauling the taller woman to her feet, "Are going home to sleep this off.  This clearly isn't helping."

She stalks out of the bar with her "maudlin" friend in tow.

Once outside she lets go, "Whalers sound like a good idea, let's try that."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 96 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 14:35
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
The party heads to the north end of the Azure District to The Drunken Dolphin on Whale Street. It is a rough-looking tavern filled with sailors and dock workers. Music and raucous laughter fill the warm air of the crowded main room.
Shana
 player, 163 posts
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 05:09
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Relieved to have her weapons back, she followed Hurl and Talora along, wondering if she'd be making the same fool of herself in this tavern as she had in the last.
Shana
 player, 165 posts
Fri 23 Feb 2018
at 02:33
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
ooc: for plans I'd say one more inquiry in azure district then try someplace in another corner of city (were we going to docks?) then skip to next day and regroup?
Hurl Firbolge
 player, 112 posts
 Ranger | Fisher/Folk Hero
Sat 24 Feb 2018
at 18:35
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
OOC: If asking around proves fruitless, Hurl will see if he can enlist or hire a hound to track by scent from something of Vanthus's Lavinia still has.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 102 posts
Sat 3 Mar 2018
at 20:47
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Hurl, Shana, and Talora spend the rest of the day at taverns near the docks in the Azure District. A few people recall seeing Vanthus in the area taverns, usually with a woman named Brissa, a pickpocket turned semi-legitimate artist, but one has seen either of them in the past couple of weeks.
Shana
 player, 166 posts
Mon 5 Mar 2018
at 03:58
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
"It's something I guess," she shrugged as she sipped her drink, lookikng over Hurl and Talora.

We should report back to the others, see if they've had any more luck. I think they're more suited for this kind of work than the three of us."
Talora Fisher
 player, 95 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Mon 5 Mar 2018
at 04:08
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Talora sighed, "Might as well.  We're not empty handed, but it's a half-decent step.  Maybe between the two groups we might have some idea where to look next."
Hurl Firbolge
 player, 115 posts
 Ranger | Fisher/Folk Hero
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 03:13
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Hurl returns to Shana and Talora uncharacteristically sullen. "Got a last name for the thief-artist: Brissa Santos. Heard of it? Me neither. And they pinned down a tavern at which he was seen with her a few weeks back, Bloodthirsty Pelican. The others learned this from the Pelican itself however, so no need to give a visit. Soooo... artists depend on being noticed for their livelihood don't they? So it shouldn't really be hard to find this Brissa, right?"

Hurl tries hard to play the con game but then shakes his head with a sigh. "I'm getting itchy. Either we ask around straight up, we do more posing as potential art clients... or we set a hound to Vanthus's scent. I say we at least try a hound to eliminate the possibility." The thought gets his smile back.
Talora Fisher
 player, 96 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 03:27
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
"You've got dogs?" Talora blinked, "Why am I only hearing about this now?"

There is a certain sort of person that wishes to pet all the dogs...that the particular model of dog was more likely to bite their hand off than lick it did not enter into the equation.  Apparently Talora was one such person.

Oh right, the mission.

"Paintings?  Great.  Either of you know the art scene?  Because I don't..." she thinks a moment, "Maybe Vanderboren might know?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 110 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 18:40
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Talora, Hurl, and Shana spend the next day searching for Vanthus in Shadowshore. They quickly learn that Vanthus has been seen in the district, often in the company of a known smuggler named Penkus, a semi-notorious figure known for his drunken binges and violent temper. They were most recently spotted a few weeks ago at a boat shop, It Still Floats!, where they got into a huge argument with the proprietor, a dwarf named Panchi.
Talora Fisher
 player, 99 posts
 Tempest Cleric of Procan
 HP 11 AC 18
Sun 25 Mar 2018
at 01:12
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Armed with the new knowledge.  Talora heads down to this "It Still Floats" establishment and tries to talk with this Panchi.

Hopefully he's amicable to talking to folk not interested in buying a boat.
Shana
 player, 174 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2018
at 22:04
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Shana tags along, not really knowing what to expect, but ready to back up her blue friend.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 112 posts
Mon 26 Mar 2018
at 01:10
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Unfortunately for the party, Panchi is not amicable to talking to folks not interested in buying a boat. They are unable to learn anything from him.
Hurl Firbolge
 player, 116 posts
 Ranger | Fisher/Folk Hero
Mon 26 Mar 2018
at 02:31
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Ok,” says Hurl, “He’s been with a thief-turned-artist, then about the same time, he's seen with a smuggler seeing about maybe buying a boat. Was he trying to sell the Nixie or buy a new vessel for whatever he's up to? If he needed a boat, why not use the Nixie unless they needed something more deniable or expendable? Story's note said he wasn’t seeming to be involved in the black market for exotic beasties in town. So what's he after? What's he been doing with the family fortune other than carousing? I daresay he's starting to sound like he's been preparing for a trip."

Hurl rubs his chin, then scratches his hands through rough hair. "Panchi's no use, so Penkus it is. Prepare to track the temper of a rotten sea rat."

He leads the ladies along throughout the district to ask around among the insavory sorts of Shadowshore about notoriously tempestuous Penkus, particularly if he tends to smuggle in or out of Sasserine, what sort of stock he tends to move illicitly, if anyone knows the name or whereabouts of a vessel or vessels associated with Penkus, and if he's known to frequent a common route like other ports or parts of the world.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 113 posts
Mon 26 Mar 2018
at 19:17
Tracking Vanthus - Group 2
Apart from the recent appearance of Penkus and Vanthus at It Still Floats!, Penkus hasn't been seen much around Shadowshore over the last year or so; most residents believe he has moved on to another venue. As such, Hurl, Talora, and Shana are unable to turn up anything useful on Penkus or his activities.