IVB - Graveyard.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 427 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Wed 1 May 2019
at 02:20
IVB - Graveyard
The ride west from Lincoln is quiet. The day is warm enough to bring a haze to the mountain air, the barest hint of a white mist hovering just above the roots of the tall trees. The group of four riders pass a pair of work wagons and a trio of Susan McSween’s cowhands as they follow the wide trail that leads to San Patricio. Just as the top edge of the sun peeks over the tree tops, Lena Bauer leads her fellow travelers down a thin, overgrown path that has clearly not been regularly followed for years.

After several bends in the trail, the terrain becomes rocky, the tall trees giving way to clumps of blue spruce, as well as scatterings of beargrass and apache plume. Horse hooves clop on the hard terrain as the remnants of the road, still marked here and there by the passage of forgotten wagon wheels, winds southward. Soon, the group finds themselves nearing a ridge, beyond which they can see the mist shrouded buildings of abandoned Angus, utterly still beneath the mid morning sky.

Near the ridge, the group sights an aged man crouched near the top of the ridge, his worn, dirt caked attire and the equipment visible on the gray mule he leads readily identifying him as a prospector, one who has clearly been away from any kind of civilization for months. Perhaps even years.
Bryan Lee
 player, 254 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Wed 1 May 2019
at 18:52
IVB - Graveyard
"Didn't expect to find anybody out here this far from civilization." He looked at the others. "Cover me if there's trouble. I'm gonna go see if I can't point him in the right direction."

Lee dropped down to his feet, handing the reins to Bauer as he made his way over on foot, wher he was most comfortable, and most capable.

"That there's a ghost town, prospector. If you're lookin' for some civilization, you'll wanna head back thataway to Lincoln. Can't miss it. Ask for Señora Montaño if you need a place to stay. A clean place, reasonably priced...and good eatin'."
Albert Cooper
 player, 252 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Wed 1 May 2019
at 20:18
IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded. "We gotcha covered." He unholstered his pistol and spun it on a finger before looking over toward Jacinta. He pulled one of the bullets she had given him. "Oh, that reminds me. Got a present fer ya."

OOC: Like the last one, Albert made a bullet Loaded For Bear. This gives it an extra die of damage.

13:16, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,2.  Hexslinger (Shootist).

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 7 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Thu 2 May 2019
at 02:58
IVB - Graveyard
The Old Prospector seemed to have heard the man walking up the ridge below him and took a quick looksee back behind at these new folks wandering up.  Especially this feller heel-toein' it up here when it was obvious he had a horse.  He scootched down from the ridge top till he could put it between him and the ghost town.  Nosy ghosts. That Old Prospector's eye narrowed in a squinky fashion as he was then told the obvious.  His jaw worked around; chewing on nothing but his own thoughts before finally speaking, "Why the hell would I want to go near civilization?  Nothin' good never came from no civilization....  As for ghost towns...  Well, they's just plum full of nobody and no-thing.  The which I prefer."

His jaw worked again as he thought through some more, still giving the man a squinky eye, "Now you seem like the sort who'd prefer that civilization stuff over some empty old ghost town....  So, why're you not enjoyin' that tasty grub, clean beds, and reasonable prices, eh?  Then you'd be gone and I could go back to enjoyin' my peace and goddamn quiet out here in the goddamn wilderness!"

His voice had risen to an angry sort of ornery old man pitch as he seemed to be getting worked up.  Then, very suddenly all that cussedness vanished.  The face remained the same Old Prospector, but somehow the eyes were different.  His voice too. A genteel southern drawl replaced the gravely old prospector voice, "As I live and breath...  Mr. Lee!  It really is a very small frontier sometimes, isn't it?  Do excuse all that nonsense a moment ago."  He tapped his nose conspiratorially, "Incognito, you see."  The "Old Prospector" winked, then offered a hand out in greeting.  He then paused again, another train of thought pulling into the station, "Goodness, I'm not really myself am I?"  He looked down at himself and started to take a moment to brush off.  But....  that would probably take a very long effort to straighten out.  It was rather the point, really.  He gave up, looking back again to Bryan, "Likely very confounding and I apologize again.  Doctor Ezekiel Wayland lies at the core of this sham, I assure you."
Bryan Lee
 player, 255 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Thu 2 May 2019
at 03:45
IVB - Graveyard
Bryan had been taken aback a bit by the tirade, but had let it run its course long enough to hear the tone change. He thought he saw something through that different exterior, but only after Wayland had already given himself up.

"Well, I'll be." He took in the sight of the man for a moment and shook his head.

"Doc, I ain't even gonna ask. It's good to see you. I don't think I've seen you since that nasty business not too far outside of Tucson, isn't that right?" He smiled, and extended a hand towards Wayland before beckoning the others to join him.

"Got some other folks with me. Good sorts - you'd like 'em, I think."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 159 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Thu 2 May 2019
at 07:22
IVB - Graveyard
"And it ain't even my birthday or nothing!  Mighty sweet of you, Coop.  Some girls like flowers and candy.  Me?  Can't got wrong getting me a magic bullet."  She grinned as she plucked it from his fingers and loaded it into her rifle.  Leaning on the pommel of her saddle, rifle slung over her lap, she turned her attention to Lee and the prospector.  Her eyes darted over the landscape in search of any other danger, finger tapping absently on the stock of her firearm.
Albert Cooper
 player, 253 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Thu 2 May 2019
at 15:37
IVB - Graveyard
Albert beamed at the response he received from Jacinta. "Well, I'm glad ya like it, Jay Lo. I'll scratch them flowers and candy off my list of what ta getcha next. What, uh, other things ya like 'sides magic bullets?"
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 8 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Fri 3 May 2019
at 01:44
IVB - Graveyard
The fake Old Prospector gave a quick nod to the mention of the Tuscon Incident, "That is so, yes."  He accepted the hand warmly, looking off to the indicated others, "I am quite certain I would...."  He trailed off as his mind wandered away from the conversation to some completely different conversation, "...No no... I'm sure they're fine....  Fine.... Fines....  Find? Find!"  His full attention returned to Bryan, in a very animated fashion and also having forgotten to let go of the man's hand, "I was in fact trying to locate a man out here and..."  His eye strayed to the Ranger badge, "Were you as well or do you often ride aimlessly towards ghost towns?"  He paused again, waving the thought away with his free hand, "No matter!  I'm quite sure you will /want/ to assist me in uncovering a worm by the name of Obadiah Stanton."  Still shaking the man's hand, Dr. Wayland's focus of conversation wandered again, "No...  I don't have another prospector's hat...  An Apache perhaps....  no....   He'd shoot first....   And he'd be right to...."
Bryan Lee
 player, 256 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Fri 3 May 2019
at 19:21
IVB - Graveyard
"Well, isn't exactly aimless. We were lookin' to see if there was anybody usin' Angus for any kinda criminal activity, or if they'd done so in the past. As far as Obadiah Stanton, I can't say as I recall the name. I'm not from these parts, but Deputy Bauer - part of the local constabulary in Lincoln, as well as Mr. Albert Cooper over there, they might know the name to speak of."

He pointed out the two of them. "The other lady is Jacinta Castillo, a helluva tracker and damned good with that rifle. She did some work for Dixie back in the day too. Let's head over that way and we can pose the question to 'em. Why're you lookin' for this Stanton fella anyway?"
Marshal
 GM, 429 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Fri 3 May 2019
at 19:41
IVB - Graveyard
Beyond the ridge, situated within a bowl shaped valley, Lee and Wayland can see the collection of buildings that once comprised Angus. Much like the pine forests the group passed through earlier in the day, a screen of ankle high mist, the color of new cotton, lingers in the narrow streets, gathering about the vacant structures like a blanket. A creak or two can be heard below, lumber settling as the cool air warms, or perhaps the passage of an unseen mountain animal, scavenging the ruins.

There are around twenty buildings in all that make up the remnants of Angus. Those on the outskirts of the town primarily appear to be former homes. Many of the structures were built from lumber and clapboard, and have suffered at the hands of the elements. However, a number of the buildings in the center of town have been crafted from adobe, and although weathered, they remain largely intact.

From somewhere close, a coyote yips and howls, the sound breaking the relative quiet of the locale.

OOC: Ranger Lee and Dr. Wayland, since you’re both near the edge of the ridge, kindly give me a Notice roll.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 9 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Sat 4 May 2019
at 05:03
IVB - Graveyard

"Because by all reports he is terrible person," answered Wayland easily enough, sparing a quick look to the others, "Robbery, murder, that sort of thing...  Justice must be served!  The more the merrier when it comes to such service I should think.  There is a bounty to be divided, of course, and I do not mind in the slightest."  His attention then turned back to the empty shell of the ghost town, peering over the ridge top, "I had hoped to lure him out by presenting a likely target.  He's apparently quite a good shot with a rifle...."

00:36, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2,4 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4. Notice!
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 160 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Sun 5 May 2019
at 06:07
IVB - Graveyard
"I prefer practical things," she reported.  "Money is always good.  Can't go wrong with dinero, but I earn my keep.  Ain't ever lookin' for a handout."  Her fingers twitched against her rifle.  "Want to make a grand romantical gesture?  I'd take the head of a slave trader any damn day."

She flicked her chin at Lee and the Prospector.  "El gringo looks to be a bit off his rocker, eh?  Should we go introduce ourselves?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 257 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Sun 5 May 2019
at 13:57
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: 14:43, Fri 03 May: Bryan Lee rolled 3,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max. Notice.
Marshal
 GM, 431 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Sun 5 May 2019
at 15:26
IVB - Graveyard
The wind stirs, the first movement within the still morning air since any of the travelers set out for Angus. The isolated clumps of spruce whisper in response, the mist shifting gently in the vacant streets below.
Albert Cooper
 player, 254 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Sun 5 May 2019
at 15:43
IVB - Graveyard
He looked back over at Jacinta. "Practical things, eh? I'll be on the lookout fer somethin'. That an slave traders. Seem like the sort that oughta not have so much of a head. Speakin' of heads, I ever tell ya how much I like how ya braid yer hair? Looks purty."

Albert glanced back over at Lee, then returned his gaze to Jacinta. "An speakin' of practical, don't suppose you gotta spyglass?" The cowboy smiled over at her. "Anyway, I think we got the all-clear from the General. Let's go see who we stumbled on, eh?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:22, Sun 05 May 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 10 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Mon 6 May 2019
at 06:52
IVB - Graveyard

The Old Prospector's eyes grow wide and a triumphant smile curls his lips at something he seems to have seen in the town.  He ducked back down, encouraging Bryan to do the same, "I do believe my quarry is moving around down theah.  And as I said, he is known for being a fine shot with a rifle."  He reached out to grasp the reins of his mule to suggest that it carefully come down off the ridgetop as well, "Now.  My original plan was designed only for foah myself.  We have no idea if he has noticed the approach of more than one lone prospector...  I assume you and youah friends would not mind assisting in this apprehension?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 260 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 00:54
IVB - Graveyard
Lee backed down off the ridgetop, which he hadn't quite crested anyway.

"Well, if there's a wanted criminal waiting down there with a rifle ready to pick off unsuspecting passers-by, I don't see as we've got much of a choice other than to assist in apprehending him, but I'll let them speak for themselves. Personally, I wouldn't say no to a share in a bounty," he said.  "Five to one gives us much better odds than you'd have had to begin with. What's the bounty?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 163 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 06:45
IVB - Graveyard
"Ain't never needed one," she answered Cooper.  "Suppose we best get on with it.  By the by, if you grow your hair out a bit, I'll show you how to fix your own purty braid."  She snickered before nudging her horse closer to the other men.

Noting their slinking posture as they backed from the ridge, she wisely kept her horse at a distance before dismounting, not wanting to ruin whatever plans they might have afoot.  "Ranger?  You know this fella?"  She eyed Ezekiel with open curiosity.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:47, Tue 07 May 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 12 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 08:13
IVB - Graveyard
"Much bettah odds indeed," grinned the Old Prospector, "The original bounty from Texas was for two-hundred and fifty, but the ranchah whose men were murdered has matched it with his own bounty.  Five hundred in total."  He reached into his coat and made some adjustments to....something....just as Jacinta arrived.  The caked dust and dirt fell suddenly from the Old Prospector's coat.  A burgundy color seeping through and overtaking the brown it had been a moment before.  He pulled off his hat, the hair came with it revealing a completely different head of wild blonde hair.  Grabbing his nose and beard, he then peeled off his face.  Which is no doubt a discomfiting sight to see, though Dr. Wayland doesn't seem to think it strange enough to warn about.  There is, thankfully, a different and blessedly normal face beneath the very realistic mask he's peeling away.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 53 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 11:57
IVB - Graveyard
Following behind Castillo and Cooper, Bauer blinks in surprise as she watches the prospector transform. Shaking her head, she says, ”Well, there’s somethin’ I’ve never seen before.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 261 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 12:18
IVB - Graveyard
"Deputy Bower, Mr. Cooper, Miss Castillo, this here is Dr. Ezekiel Wayland. We both worked together on a few engagements for Dixie Rails a time back," he said, by way of introduction, allowing them all to speak for themselves.

"He's here hunting a bounty on a criminal wanted in Texas for multiple murders, who he believes is in Angus up ahead, and is presumably a good shot with a rifle - so keep below the ridgeline for the time being. Dr. Wayland is also willing to split the bounty with us if we're interested in helping him out. Way I see it, is that if we need into Angus, we might as well get two birds with one stone. Five hundred splits pretty good five ways."
Albert Cooper
 player, 256 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 15:07
IVB - Graveyard
Albert chuckled at Jacinta's comment about his hair. Might actually look better growing it out a bit. Or it might just make him look like a scraggly nomad. He turned Brandy to follow along with Jacinta's movement, then dismounted a moment after she did, though his dismount wasn't quite as graceful.

As they approached, Albert raised an eyebrow at the change, then nodded at the introduction. "Nice disguise, Doc. I'm Albert." In case he had difficulty distinguishing the cowboy from Bauer and Castillo.

He looked over to Bryan. "Bounty on a criminal sounds good ta me as we wanted ta check out this place anyhow. Assume we need ta bring em ta justice?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 164 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 15:47
IVB - Graveyard
"Huh.  Ain't never met a magician," Jacinta said quietly while squinting at Ezekiel.  "What kind of doctor are you?  The healing kind?  A tooth doctor?  Or the obnoxiously smart kind?"

"Anyhow, ain't gonna say no to a good bounty.  What's the plan for sticking it to him?"
Marshal
 GM, 436 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 18:41
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: At least it’s more legible than my usual efforts. :)

Buildings with a slash through them are constructed from adobe. Unmarked structures are built from lumber and are in varying states of decay. The building where Dr. Wayland noted movement is marked with an X. The X marked building is crafted from adobe.

All of the buildings are one story structures.



Bryan Lee
 player, 262 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 7 May 2019
at 22:45
IVB - Graveyard
Texas was a bit far to get him back to, but with his Ranger connections, he could probably arrange something if he needed to. It would probably mean cutting someone else in on the profits, but they could get to that later."

Lee sketched some figures out in the dirt roughly approximating the layout of the place in front of them.

"Doc thinks that the fella he's after is hereabouts. He's a threat from long range, so we'll want as much cover as we can get movin' in. Jacinta can hang back a spell, maybe, as she's a pretty good threat from long range, let the rest of us get in a bit closer. "
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 13 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Wed 8 May 2019
at 08:28
IVB - Graveyard
Wayland tucked away the costume pieces in a packbag on the mule and set about retrieving other things, "A real pleasuah to meet you all."  Jacinta's question knits his brow thoughtfully while he buckles on his heavily laden gunbelt, "Well... I suppose the last one, though I do hope I'm not obnoxious about it, of coahse..."  His voice dropped away to a mumble as he deftly checked the clockwork ammo cylinder of the gatling pistol, "Obnoxious?  Noxious....  Nox....  To harm....  Well, I do harm...  Hmm..."  Now a top hat, decked out with a strange pair of goggles wrapped around them.  Almost like some sort of wearable binoculars with large lenses surrounded by bowl-shaped mirrors.  He snapped his attention back again, trying to catch up to questions posed, "The bounty is redeemable whether he chooses to surrendah alive or fight to the death.  As for justice..."  Wayland now drew out a some sort of gun-like gizmo, covered in tight coils of wire with a shiny copper toroid at the muzzle end.  Bubbling cylinders of....something...are secured along the breech end.  He begins winding a flat, circular mechanism that sits on top, "I've brought that with me."  Finally, he returned his attention to Bryan again, "I should also mention he is known to be rathah skillful with knives as well....  I was hoping to overwhelm him at an intermediate range.  Perhaps we could approach from a variety of directions?"  Propping his now whirring gadget on his shoulder, he checked a pocket watch and glanced at the sky....

What time is it anyway?  Which direction are we in relation to the map?  How much ground do we have to cover between the ridge and the town?  Any cover in that ground or just open?

This message was last edited by the player at 08:35, Wed 08 May 2019.

Albert Cooper
 player, 257 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Fri 10 May 2019
at 01:04
IVB - Graveyard
Albert raised his hat slightly off his head at the greeting. "And you, Doc."

The ranch hand raised an eyebrow at the stated terms of the bounty. It wasn't so common that a bounty was spelled out that way, but there were certainly exceptions. "Mind if we see the bounty poster? Not that I don't trust ya, it's that I don't go pullin' triggers without good cause no more."

He tilted his head side-to-side while considering the tactics. "As fer gettin' him...variety of directions makes some sense, so long as those what don't get pinned down hustle toward the fella when lead starts ta fly. One lone fella's at a tactical disadvantage in that case."

Albert's brow furrowed. "You're sure he's alone? Cuz if he ain't...the math changes a bit."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 22:36, Sat 11 May 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 440 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Fri 10 May 2019
at 18:50
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: It is around 10 in the morning.

The top edge of the map is north. The posse is currently positioned south of Angus. The ghost town sits within a bowl like valley, so any approach would necessitate a short descent down a slope, unless the group were to circle around and enter from the north, where the terrain is primarily level.

From any direction besides the north, it is approximately 40 to 50 yards from the top of the ridge to the nearest building. Approaching from the south, there are enough boulders and brush for a group to make it to the town under relative cover, provided they made the short trek one at a time.

To the west, there are a couple of collections of spruce shrubs which would allow a group to teach the edge of Angus together primarily under concealment, though the small trees would likely not serve as any kind of usable cover in a firefight.

To the east, midway down the slope is a large group of boulders that could serve as a defensive wall for purposes of cover, but aside from those rocks, the rest of the descent is primarily barren, so remaining unseen could prove extremely difficult.

The northern approach is along a road, the same road that Lee, Cooper, and Castillo just used to reach Angus, which follows the eastern side of the ridge. There is some short overgrowth at spots on the road, but the route is essentially fully exposed.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 16 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Sun 12 May 2019
at 06:54
IVB - Graveyard

At the request, Wayland tugged a leather wallet from within his jacket and offered it up to Cooper, "Of course, sah.  I find it best to keep such papers handy while engaging in this sort of work.  I understand if my word holds no sway, being a stranger to you, but Stanton is truly a devil from what I have heard."  While his papers are being perused, he looked back in the general direction of the town on the other side of the ridge, "And I am not sure of anything, including his being theah at awl.  I have seen sign of movement in this empty place and his trail has lead me heah. From what I have heard, he does not generally work with partners.  Thus, I assume him to still be alone."
Albert Cooper
 player, 259 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Thu 16 May 2019
at 01:15
IVB - Graveyard
Albert looked at the depiction and the wording. "Seems so. Bounties fer dead men aint' zactly common." He passed the paperwork over to Bryan as he was the ranking lawman in the group. Bauer'd likely want to see it as well.

Albert nodded at the assumption, then looked over the lay of the land again. "Mebbe we split three and two. Group wit three comin' from the west, spread a little, usin' cover ta keep outta sight. Groupa two comin' from south, usin' rocks fer cover comin' in and possibly in case of firefight. North and East seem too exposed."

He looked around. "Just throwin' out first thing that comes ta mind, y'all feel free ta suggest otherwise."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:06, Thu 16 May 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 54 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 15:58
IVB - Graveyard
Bauer climbs down from her mount. She draws a double barreled shotgun from a scabbard cinched to her saddle and opens the weapon, loading a pair of shells into it. ”Sounds reasonable. I don’t mind bein’ one of the folks that comes in from the south.”
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 17 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Fri 17 May 2019
at 08:26
IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland shrugged softly at Cooper's thoughts on dead or alive bounties, noting, "Sometimes it is safah for all to simply put the bad dog down."  He turned his attention to his complicated weapon, having noted something requiring adjustment, "This voltaic pile is out of balance again...  Again.... Gain.... Ain...rain....cats and dogs.... bad dogs..."  He looked up again catching up to the general outline of the plan; perhaps having fixed whatever it was...or perhaps he's just willing to risk it anyway.  He gave Bauer a nod, resettling his contraption, "I shall join you in the south then, if you don't mind."  Back to Cooper and the others, "We'll begin once you reach your position?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 165 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Sun 19 May 2019
at 05:57
IVB - Graveyard
While they spoke, Jacinta crept up to the ridge to have a look herself, eyeing the terrain.  When she returned, she shouldered her rifle.  "Thinkin' that I'm goin' in from the south, as well.  Will post up on one of those boulders and provide some cover from a distance to those creepin' in from the west.  I think we got ourselves a plan.  Ready to execute?" 
Marshal
 GM, 450 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Mon 20 May 2019
at 16:54
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Based on what I’ve gathered from the conversation thus far, this is the plan:

  • Dr. Wayland and Bauer will enter the ghost town from the south, moving to converge on the building where the good doctor saw movement.
  • Cooper and Lee will also enter the town, coming in from the western side.
  • Castillo will find a position of cover midway down the southern approach and cover the rest of the posse as they move into the abandoned settlement.

If I don’t receive any comments to the contrary within the next day or so, I’ll move ahead with the outlined course of action.

Albert Cooper
 player, 260 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Mon 20 May 2019
at 17:16
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Looks good to me, I think we just need Bryan to weigh in if he's so inclined.

"Alrighty, it looks like it's you an' me from the West, General." Albert looked over to Bryan with a nod to see if the Ranger had anything to add.
Bryan Lee
 player, 264 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 21 May 2019
at 19:10
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Sorry for being dilatory; being a twin dad is pretty draining. I'll post more when able - for now trying not to hold things up.

"A good a plan as any," he said in agreement, giving a nod.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:12, Tue 21 May 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 454 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Wed 22 May 2019
at 04:21
IVB - Graveyard
Cooper and Lee circle along the edge of the ridge, keeping low to avoid being spotted against the horizon. Once the two men reach the stands of blue spruce, they make their descent, careful to keep to the foliage. They reach the edge of the ghost town without incident, moving between two vacant buildings, both weathered clapboard structures, one that has withstood the elements well, missing only a portion of its roof, the other close to collapse, its walls sagging inward. A short distance away, they can see the adobe building where Dr. Wayland spotted movement, a shingle hanging over the door proclaiming it to have once been the Tienda Trujillo.

Lena Bauer leads the way down from the north, Dr. Wayland following close behind her. Castillo takes up the rear. Like Cooper and Lee, the group takes pains to remain unseen, moving carefully from cover to cover. Midway down the gentle slope, Castillo locates an eroded triangle of granite, just over waist high, which provides her both concealment and protection from gunfire, as well as a sound vantage point where she can see most of Angus. The deputy and bounty hunter continue down, finally reaching a clapboard house which sits directly south of Tienda Trujillo. The walls of the empty building remain intact, but its doors and windows have long since fallen away.

A gust of wind swoops down into Angus, carrying a haze of dust through the lifeless streets.

OOC: Everyone give me a Notice and Stealth roll.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 166 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Wed 22 May 2019
at 07:39
IVB - Graveyard
Notice: 9  (or 11, if avoiding a surprise attack)
Stealth: 22


00:38, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,9 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+1)7.  Notice.
00:37, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 22,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+6)22,4.  Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:40, Wed 22 May 2019.

Bryan Lee
 player, 265 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Wed 22 May 2019
at 16:06
IVB - Graveyard
Lee took a moment to steady his breathing and center his qi, the harmony and rhythm of his energy flow coming into a balance as he sought oneness with the universe around him. He looked toward the Tienda Trujillo, but also scanned the avenue of approach and locations where he would be least exposed when moving toward that building.

OOC:

Notice: 5
Stealth: 5

11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.
11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Stealth.

Albert Cooper
 player, 261 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Wed 22 May 2019
at 17:29
IVB - Graveyard
Albert moved parallel to Bryan, though used a different set of foliage to hide his approach. His gun was in hand, though kept out of sight against the back of his leg as he slid toward the town proper.

He came to a stop at the same distance from town as Lee, trying to move in tandem with the other man.


OOC:
Stealth: 6
Notice: 4

10:26, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4.  Notice.

10:26, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,2.  Stealth.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 19 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Wed 22 May 2019
at 17:35
IVB - Graveyard
Notice - 8
Stealth - 3!

13:34, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 3,3 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Stealth!
13:34, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 3,8 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+2)8.  Notice!

Marshal
 GM, 456 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Thu 23 May 2019
at 03:09
IVB - Graveyard
21:01, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5,3 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3.  Stealth.

As he and Bauer round the corner of the vacant building to get a closer look at the Tienda Trujillo, Dr. Wayland’s foot strikes a loose pile of caliche, scattering the pale rocks with a clatter. Within the silence that pervades Angus, the noise can be heard clearly throughout the vacant streets, but nothing within the abandoned buildings moves in response. The quiet returns as quickly as it is broken.

From their vantage point, Cooper and Lee can see that Tienda Trujillo only has a single door, and no windows, on the wall that faces their approach. The southern wall has another door and a square window, roughly half the size of the doorway. Ragged curtains, once colorful, their hues bleached by the sun, hang behind the broken glass and, after a moment, one of the cloth hangings shifts to one side, a motion that is slow and deliberate, definitely not a disturbance of the wind, which has grown still. Perhaps a minute passes, and the curtain falls back into place.

Dr. Wayland is able to see the movement from his place of hiding with Bauer in the shadows of the empty house. From her position on the slope of the ridge, Castillo, virtually invisible behind her cover, sights it as well.
Albert Cooper
 player, 263 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Fri 24 May 2019
at 00:56
IVB - Graveyard
Albert stood stock still in his hiding place among the shrubbery as whatever observer was indoors looked about. Once it seemed that there was no one keeping an eye on the approach, Albert used hand signals to indicate intent to move toward the door and cover it.

He tried to convey the same to those coming in from the south, then started to move into position.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 20 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Sat 25 May 2019
at 03:25
IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland stood stock still after disturbing the rocks; waiting to see any response to his accidental racket.  When he was not immediately shot, he settled slowly and carefully into the post of observation with Bauer.  His eyes narrowing on the movement in the window.  Then his attention was caught by the movement and signal of the gunhand...Cooper?...as he shifted into position on the north side of the Tienda  Voice very low, he whispered to Bauer, "Think I'll try to get his attention...  Excuse me..."

Barring the sheriff stopping him, Wayland will make a quick, unquiet dash across the street to the adobe building southeast of Tienda Trujillo.  Stealth is not his aim at the moment.  In fact, he really wanted whoever might be there to get a very good idea where he was...so they might focus on him and not notice the others.  Assuming he made it to the "cover" of the corner of the adobe building without being shot in the street, the scientist called out, "Obadiah Stanton!  Be so kind as to step out into the street with your hands raised or I will be foahced to obliterate your domicile, sah!"
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 1 post
Sat 25 May 2019
at 16:14
IVB - Graveyard
A heartbeat passes as Wayland’s words fade into the quiet of the foothills. Then another. The ragged curtains stir within the empty adobe store, then the door opens.

A man steps into the doorway. His stained, buckskin clothing and wide brimmed hat give him the look of a trapper. He is unshaven, his dark eyes slowly surveying the street before his gaze settles on Wayland. The bounty hunter immediately recognizes the figure as his prey: Obadiah Stanton. But Wayland notices that Stanton is much more gaunt than his picture suggested, his attire fitting him loosely, hanging on his slender frame.

A Colt Army is holstered at his right hip. A Bowie knife tied down in a scabbard on his left thigh. Stanton’s hands are not raised, but they are empty. Squinting at Wayland, he cocks his head to one side and says, ”They never came. Not one of ‘em. Much too late now, I reckon.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 267 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W1 R2 B1 L0
Sun 26 May 2019
at 01:59
IVB - Graveyard
Well, it was a direct approach, and there was some more sense to it than just banging on a door.

He turned to Cooper and mouthed the words 'cover me,' miming a gun for effect, before moving out ahead as quietly as he could manage, hoping that Wayland's ultimatum would distract the man from his maneuver.

"I'd raise your hands as the man suggested, or else expect consequences," Lee said, approaching from behind and to the side.

OOC:

Stealth: 3 (unless there's any bonus from Wayland's ultimatum distracting him)

Lee doesn't know he failed his Stealth check, so he'll move forward and do as stated above thinking that he's quiet as can be.

20:54, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  White Chip Reroll.
20:53, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:00, Sun 26 May 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 21 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Sun 26 May 2019
at 04:31
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland perked up a little straighter as his quarry helpfully stepped out.  That usually never worked.  He raised up his odd rifle contraption to his shoulder and settled the weapon's discharge end towards Stanton.  Keeping him so covered, Dr. Wayland began stepping slowly and carefully towards his quarry.  As Lee joined in, the scientist added, "Consequences indeed, sah.  Do be so kind as to raise youah hands now.  I would be happy to furthah discuss who may or may not be late arriving once you do so."
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 26 May 2019
at 18:13
IVB - Graveyard
Stanton doesn’t comply with Lee or Wayland’s request, instead looking from one to the other with a confused expression. ”You mean to take me?” he asks, his voice tinged with resignation, ”Don’t you see? You can’t. Not now. Not ever. I’ve got to stay put.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 268 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W1 R2 B1 L0
Sun 26 May 2019
at 19:35
IVB - Graveyard
"We can and most certainly will, though if you explain yourself, perhaps we can resolve this with conversation rather than force."
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 27 May 2019
at 00:26
IVB - Graveyard
”No...no,” Stanton replies to Lee, taking a step back inside the tienda, ”You’re wrong. There ain’t a thing you can do. Nothin’ at all.”

OOC: To avoid any potential confusion, should anyone elect to employ force, Lee is in range to tackle/strike Stanton after taking a move action. Dr. Wayland could do the same. All of the PCs, including Castillo, possess a clean line of sight, should they wish to fire a weapon at the fugitive.
Albert Cooper
 player, 265 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Mon 27 May 2019
at 18:06
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: The 'position' Albert was trying to move into before anyone did anything else was with his back flat against the wall of the structure, but off to the side.

Is the assumption that he's there, or that his movement was interrupted before he did so?

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 23 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L0
Tue 28 May 2019
at 02:31
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland seemed altogether put out by the man's refusal to fight /or/ give up.  He let his right hand fall away from the trigger of his strange gun; still holding it by the stock in his left hand.  His now freed hand slipped back under his coat as he continued forward towards the retreating Stanton, "Not one moah step or I will fire upon you. "  His hand returned from under his coat with a Colt revolver.  His thumb cocked the hammer smoothly as he lifted it and took aim...

It is Wayland's intention to not let Stanton retreat out of sight into the building again, but he's not much for fisticuffs with a knife fighter.  So, he'll fire if Stanton takes another step into the building...or goes for a gun, of course.
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:09
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Apologies for any confusion. Yes, Cooper reached his chosen position. Bauer, in her place of cover, is in a similar situation. Both could, with a single move action, position themselves to fire at Stanton in the store’s front entrance.

Cooper, however, is the only person that has ready access to the back door of the tienda.


Stanton’s eyes dart back and forth between the ranger and the bounty hunter. He makes no move to reach for the pistol in his holster. But, seemingly unfazed by Wayland’s warning, he retreats two steps further into the vacant store, still visible in the late morning light, his gaunt figure framed in the building’s doorway.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 26 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R1 B0 L0
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:45
IVB - Graveyard
Between Stanton's first and second step, Doctor Wayland squeezed the trigger....  BOOM...

To Hit - 7, 8 Damage (Specialty Ammo)
Init Draw - Red Joker

00:43, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: RJ! using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative Draw!
00:42, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 8 using 2d6+1, rerolling max.  Damage!
00:41, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 7,5 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Shootin'!

Marshal
 GM, 462 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Tue 28 May 2019
at 11:52
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: As the good doctor has started things off, would everyone kindly provide me with an initiative draw?

In addition, Jacinta, could you also give me another Notice roll, please. You’ll be entitled to your bonuses on the roll.

06:51, Today: Obadiah Stanton drew the single card: QS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

06:51, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 5S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Albert Cooper
 player, 266 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 28 May 2019
at 17:14
IVB - Graveyard
That the bounty hunter would just start with shooting after a brief conversation was a little surprising to Albert, but he supposed there was probably a reason for such. Still...they would have a chat about that later.

OOC:

10:13, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 5D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Bryan Lee
 player, 270 posts
 Texas Ranger (20/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W1 R2 B1 L0
Tue 28 May 2019
at 21:12
IVB - Graveyard
Bryan tensed as Wayland fired, ready to launch himself into action at a moment's notice, his body taking a stance that favored quick motion and speed if he were to drop into a run.

OOC:

Please ignore that second roll - a clicking issue.

16:08, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 21 using 1d36.
16:08, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 3H using a deck of 54 cards.
16:08, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 9C using a deck of 54 cards.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 167 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R1 B2 L0
Wed 29 May 2019
at 00:16
IVB - Graveyard
From her secured hiding spot among the boulders, Jacinta swore under her breath and immediately went on guard.  Her eyes immediately darted about the town and surrounding ridges.  It wasn't the greatest place for an ambush, in her opinion.  They outnumbered the man for the moment, but that could change in a heartbeat.  There were simply far too many ways that someone could sneak up on them while they were trying to collect their bounty.


Init: 2H
Notice: 5 (or 7, if avoiding a surprise attack)


17:12, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 2H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
17:13, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 5,5 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Notice.

Marshal
 GM, 464 posts
 W0 R0 B0
Wed 29 May 2019
at 03:18
IVB - Graveyard
Initiative Order

RJ - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
QS - Obadiah Stanton
9C - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
5D - Albert Cooper
2H - Jacinta Castillo


Dr. Wayland’s shot is on the mark. The bounty hunter is certain of the bullet finding its target even before he squeezes the trigger. Wayland’s eyes tell him that the round should have struck Stanton somewhere in the center of his ribcage.

But the fugitive shows no response. There is an brief, audible thump as the specialized round strikes something, but the killer is wholly unshaken. He shows no sign of injury.

Doctor, you have the option to go first, if you so choose.


Watching the scene unfold in the town below, Castillo is suddenly aware of a single set of footsteps, approaching the edge of the ridge above her at a steady gait. Whoever is drawing close is making no attempt to be quiet, their stride casual and unhurried.

OOC: Jacinta, you don’t have to wait for your turn in the initiative order to respond to what you’ve perceived. However, depending on what action you take, you may limit your ability to respond to what is unfolding in Angus.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:52, Wed 29 May 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 169 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R2 B2 L0
Wed 29 May 2019
at 07:49
IVB - Graveyard
Hearing the footsteps from above, Jacinta turned and aimed her rifle in that direction, searching for a new target.  The boys had the town covered, but they were all too far away to hear footsteps along the ridge.  She hoped it was friend and not foe, but in this place, one never could be too careful.  Her finger curled around the trigger.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 28 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Wed 29 May 2019
at 08:32
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland's eyes narrowed inquisitively at the seeming failure of the first round and it gave him pause...  Just a moment, but paused all the same as he considered....

I choose not to go before I see what Obadiah might do...  If he goes for a weapon or any such threat, I'd like to Interrupt...
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 5 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 20:19
IVB - Graveyard
Eyes widening at the sound of the report, Stanton takes another pair of steps backward, then turns left, retreating out of view and into the dim interior of the tienda.

Initiative Order

RJ - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland (Holding)
QS - Obadiah Stanton
9C - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
5D - Albert Cooper
2H - Jacinta Castillo

Ranger, it’s your turn. Dr. Wayland, you may also act, if you so choose.

For further clarification, if Lee or Wayland (or both) elected to pursue Stanton through the front door, they would likely be able to reach the fugitive with a single move action. Lee could also round the building and reach the rear entrance with a move action, but wouldn’t be able to enter the abandoned store until the following turn, unless he chose to run.

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 14 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 20:20
IVB - Graveyard
A moment later, a figure appears, almost directly north of Castillo’s position. The scout immediately recognizes the attire and the slender frame of the newcomer, having encountered him previously at the Thornton-Curry. It is Jim McDaniels, his dark colored hat pulled down low on his brow.

He pauses to survey the scene in Angus, lighting a cigar with a match before beginning to descend the slope. ”Mornin’,” he tells Castillo. ”Looks like an eventful one at that. Poor bastard picked the wrong place to hide.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 272 posts
 Texas Ranger (20/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Thu 30 May 2019
at 02:06
IVB - Graveyard
A blur of motion, Lee scrambled towards the interior, aiming two swift punches at the outlaw, hoping to capture the man alive rather than dead. These days it wasn't quite as true that dead men told no tales, but they needed less of that sort around than more.

"If you surrender, this will go easier for you."

OOC:

Activated Quickness, then made a Wild Attack plus a Wing Chun Wild Attack (didn't include that on the dice roller for attack rolls, but that's what I've been doing).

Quickness: 1/3

Bryan's Parry is reduced to 5 until his next action.

Fighting: 7
Fighting: 4

I don't know Stanton's Parry, so no idea if either of those hit, but I figure if either did it would only be the first one.

Damage: 7 (don't think that cracks Stanton's Toughness based on Wayland's earlier attack)

Initiative: 9S

21:03, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 9S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
21:01, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7 using d6+d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.
21:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,2 using d10,d6, rerolling max.  Fighting: Superior Kung Fu.
20:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,4 using d10,d6, rerolling max.  Fighting.
20:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  White Chip Reroll.
20:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Quickness.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:06, Thu 30 May 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 170 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R2 B2 L0
Thu 30 May 2019
at 06:19
IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta didn't lower her rifle, but she didn't pull the trigger.  "If you're lost, gringo, best get elsewhere.  Ain't looking for trouble from the outside, but won't hesitate to put down those that seek to interfere."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 29 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Thu 30 May 2019
at 08:44
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland pulled his pistol back and tilting it up to a safer direction as the Ranger dove in, "Well... Damn..."  He cocked his lightning gun against his shoulder as carefully as he could to keep it out of the way as he charged in after Lee.  Pistol still in hand, Wayland quickly checked the other directions in the Tienda while  the pummeling commenced.  Doors and corners....

So, Doc is going to follow Lee and back him up.  Checking to make sure there's no one else....etc...etc...  Happy to shoot them too, if someone threatening is in there...
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 6 posts
Thu 30 May 2019
at 19:03
IVB - Graveyard
With shocking speed, Lee pursues the retreating fugitive into the store, catching up to him in the large, dimly lit main room of the building. A few empty tables and a long, dusty counter comprise the only furniture. Vacant shelves line two of the walls.

Stanton turns, surprise registering on his face as Lee throws his first blow, a sharp punch that that is perfectly aimed at the man’s jaw.

Lee’s hand passes harmlessly through Stanton, as though the fugitive’s body is comprised of nothing but air. The Ranger’s follow up attack, a strike to the stomach, meets the same result.

Dr. Wayland enters the tienda just in time to see the outcome of Lee’s attack.

”I wasn’t...I wasn’t lyin’,” the killer says, ”I can’t leave here.”

As Lee and Wayland’s eyes adjust to the low light, both see a figure seated in front of the shop counter, leaning against it. The man’s hat is askew and both of his hands grasp his abdomen, which appears to have been torn open, likely with a weapon such as a long bladed knife. Dried blood stains his clothes and the floor around him. Both the ranger and the bounty recognize that he has been dead for several days.

Looking at the corpse’s face, the dead man’s identity becomes quickly apparent. It is Obadiah Stanton.

The Stanton who was unharmed by Lee and Wayland’s attacks, speaks again. ”See? Do you see?”
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 55 posts
Thu 30 May 2019
at 19:03
IVB - Graveyard
Shotgun in hand, Bauer dashes across the street, rounding the corner of the tienda as she moves for the building’s back door.

Initiative Order

RJ - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland (Holding)
QS - Obadiah Stanton
9C - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer

5D - Albert Cooper
2H - Jacinta Castillo

Your turn, Mr. Cooper. Castillo is currently concerned with confronting Jim McDaniels.

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 15 posts
Thu 30 May 2019
at 19:03
IVB - Graveyard
McDaniels’ lips curl into a sardonic smile. He takes a draw on his cigar and exhales, the air filling with the scent of cloves and sage.

”Interfere,” he says, shaking his head. ”I’m not the one trespassing, am I?”

“That bounty hunter who’s after Stanton, he’s got an excuse. He’s just lookin’ to get paid. The rest of you...well, you’re here tryin’ to poke your head into business that doesn’t concern you. Not at all.”


He takes the cigar from his mouth and tosses it down the slope. It flares with a brief, blue light as it strikes the ground. A moment later, the remnants of mist that linger in Angus’ empty streets briefly glow with the same odd color.

”You had any sense, you’d skedaddle. But you won’t. You came here with trouble on your mind.”

OOC: Bauer and Cooper, who are still outside, perceive the pulse of light traveling through the ankle high haze.
Albert Cooper
 player, 269 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Thu 30 May 2019
at 21:50
IVB - Graveyard
As he is so conveniently located near the back door, Albert made use of the alternate entrance and surveyed the scene before him.

He patted Ezekiel on the back. "Welp, nice job, Doc. I think that there's what we need fer the bounty." Albert gestured toward the dead body. "Not zactly the way I woulda done it, but it seems like we're all 'bout ta getta little richer."

He looked over at the door. "You wanna get the arms and I get the feet so we can tote this feller outta here?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 171 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R2 B2 L0
Fri 31 May 2019
at 06:48
IVB - Graveyard
"We're all after that bounty, pendejo," Jacinta argued.  "Got nothing but lint and crumbs in my pocket just now.  That man is worth a lot of money, dead or alive.  What do you know about it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:29, Thu 04 July 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 30 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Fri 31 May 2019
at 08:13
IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland's head tilted slightly as he regarded the body, his voice low "Now now....how...dead.... slashed.... long blade....  blade...blathe...."  His eye then turned to the /other/ standing Stanton, curiously confused.  The pat on the back jerked him up in surprise, luckily he maintained control of his pistol and kept it pointed at the floor, "I'm...  Well...  Perhaps we should take a moment to... investigate?"  He seemed unsure if that was in fact the correct word.  He looked again at the insubstantial Stanton, "I have...  questions..."
Bryan Lee
 player, 276 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Fri 31 May 2019
at 16:06
IVB - Graveyard
"Why can't you leave?" he asked the ghost. "Who killed you?"
Albert Cooper
 player, 271 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Fri 31 May 2019
at 17:35
IVB - Graveyard
Albert frowned. "Investigate? Sure, sounds good. I am curious 'bout what happened ta this fella."

The ranch hand looked outside. "But do know that I just saw all that mist in the streets glow blue. Brief, but not zactly comfortin'. But perhaps our questions will be worth our while."
Obadiah Stanton
 NPC, 7 posts
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 05:29
IVB - Graveyard
The face of Stanton’s ghost goes slack with sadness, or regret, as Cooper discusses taking his corpse outside with Dr. Wayland. The spirit pauses, gazing down at its ruined, mortal form until Lee addresses it.

The ghost shrugs hopelessly. ”I’m not rightly sure. I just know I can’t. Since I became...this way I’ve tried to leave this town every way I can think of, but when I start up the slope of the valley, I always find myself back in the middle of Angus.”

“The fella who killed me...I think his name was James, or Jim. Jimmy maybe. I can’t recall too clear. I never heard him comin’. He just sprung on me, caught me unawares in the dead of night. Gutted me like a fish. Never even gave me a chance to say who I was or why I was hidin’ here. As I was sittin’ there, dyin’, he sprinkled me with something. Some kinda pale colored powder. Then I was like this. And I couldn’t leave.”

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 16 posts
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 05:30
IVB - Graveyard
”That he’s been a corpse for a couple of days now,” McDaniels tells her, ”and that you’re lying. I doubt you’d ever heard Stanton’s name til you came upon that bounty hunter.”

“Doesn’t make any difference now. Your friends...they’re not walking out with Stanton. Or anything else they were lookin’ for.”


Glancing back down at Angus, Castillo sees that the town is now encircled, surrounded by a long line of pale figures, whose bodies shift between solidity and being as translucent as frosted glass. They are male and female, dressed in the attire of farmers and laborers, but each has a gray cast, as though all color had been drained from their features and clothes. The scout has no doubts about what she is seeing. They are fantasmas, the unsettled spirits of the dead.

”You’re concerned for their welfare, you might want to get down there. Can’t promise it’ll make much difference. But you’re welcome to try.”
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 172 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W4 R2 B2 L0
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 06:21
IVB - Graveyard
Never dropping her line on the man, Jacinta threw a glance down below and swore under her breath.  Dark eyes flashed with anger as she put it all together.  "Pinche perra," she growled.  "If they're not leaving, you're not leaving."  And without another word, she pulled the trigger.


Shooting: 22 (4 raises)
Damage: 25 (LFB + Raise)
Initiative: 7D


23:01, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 6,22 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(6+6+6+4)22.  Shooting.
23:07, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 12,13 using 3d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2,7,(6+6+1)13.  Damage (+LFB & Raise).
23:08, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 7D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Albert Cooper
 player, 272 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 18:14
IVB - Graveyard
Albert didn't have too much sympathy for a murderer becoming damned in this way, but he made some sympathetic noises nonetheless. "Hm. That don't sound like so good of an endin'. James, Jim, or Jimmy didn't happen to be McDaniels, did it? And maybe I can help with the being able to leave part." Albert reached toward his gun belt, though was interrupted by the report of the rifle.

"Damnation. That sounded like Jacinta." If there were one thing that could break Albert away from an investigation it was the thought that Jacinta might be in danger. He made a break for whichever door was likely to take him toward Jacinta in the quickest manner.
Marshal
 GM, 469 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 19:28
IVB - Graveyard
In Angus, the long line of specters surrounding the town gaze at the vacant streets and buildings, their expressions mournful. Then, just as quickly as they appeared, they sink into the earth. Their disappearance is not gentle. Each is pulled down forcefully, as though they were dragged below by an unseen force of great strength.

Inside the teinda, Stanton’s ghost opens his mouth to answer Cooper, but his features abruptly twist into an expression of agony, the only sound he makes is that of a tortured scream. As if pulled by a rope, his spirit is pulled across the empty room toward his body, disappearing within the corpse.

A moment later, the corpse stands up under its own power. It regards those in the room with an enraged gaze before letting out a gurgling, hateful growl.

Cooper rushes to the door of the empty store in time to see the ground bursting throughout the streets of Angus, each spot like a small explosion, showering dirt and rocks into the air. From each rent in the earth emerges a corpse, every one horribly disfigured by putrefaction, some mere steps away from being only skeletons. Scraps of clothing cling to several, each of their hands ending in a set of filthy claws. Their strangled cries fill the silence of the ghost town.

Three of the dead are grouped just outside the tienda. All fix Cooper with a baleful gaze.

OOC: Would everyone down in Angus kindly provide me with an intiative draw?
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 17 posts
 P7 T11
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 19:28
IVB - Graveyard
McDaniels has a Toughness of 11, so Castillo’s attack leaves him shaken with 3 wounds.

He’ll attempt to soak those:

13:54, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 9,2 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,2.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

13:57, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Red Chip - Soak Roll.

He does. As all of his wounds were soaked, the shaken condition is also removed. The good news is, he was forced to burn both of his chips in the process.

13:28, Today: Jim McDaniels drew the single card: 10C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.


Castillo’s shot staggers McDaniels briefly. He quickly regains his balance and grins. ”Someone give you a bullet with a little extra charm on it, señorita? Better hope that rifle of yours is full of ‘em, or this thing between me and you is gonna be real short.”

Below, in Angus, the scout sees the dead emerging from the dry earth.

McDaniels fixes his gaze on Castillo. The scout sees that his eyes are wholly a pale yellow-green color, each one bisected by a thin, black, horizontal pupil, not unlike those seen in reptiles.

He does not reach for a weapon. Instead, long black talons extend from the fingertips of his gloves.

He closes with the scout in a single, animal lunge, his claws tearing across her chest.

14:09, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 3,10 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10.  Fighting.

14:09, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 3,5,1 using 1d12+1,1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,1.  Damage.

Total Damage: 9

That will leave Castillo shaken with one wound.

14:18, Today: Jim McDaniels drew the single card: QD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.


”Not too late to run help your comrades,” he tells her, his breath laden with the stink of decay, “Or you can stay here. After I rip you open, I can send your corpse down there to deal with your friends.”

OOC: Your turn, Jacinta. While you’re engaged with McDaniels, I’l keep the initiative order between you and him separate from the rest of the posse in Angus.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 173 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W3 R2 B2 L0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 02:04
IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta nimbly dodged the vicious swipe by throwing herself backward against the boulder, long braids flying.  "No need for magic bullets to get the bulge on a tub like you, bato."  Her rifle cracked as another bullet went hurtling across the narrowing distance between them.


White Chip Soak: 9 (Removes Shaken & Wound)
Shooting: 9 (1 Raise)
Damage: 27 (+Raise)
Initiative: 8H

18:45, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,8 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+3)9,(6+2)8.  Soak Roll.
18:49, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,5 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,5.  Shooting.
18:50, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 22,5 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+7)15,7,5.  Damage (+Raise).
18:51, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 31 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 07:09
IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland continued to look back and forth between the ghost and the body.  Obviously trying to reconcile a few things.  Sure, he'd seen some pretty strange things....but this was likely a rarity even in this Weird West.  At some point, he slid his pistol back to its holster at his back.  Didn't really seem useful now.  At Stanton's Ghost's mention of a strange powder sprinkled on the corpse, Wayland moved closer and bent down to try and get closer look at that powder, muttering "Powder....  Pale.... Ghostly...  Why?  Sample....  Ample.... Amplify..."

Before he could really get said closer look, the rifle report boomed across the town.  Wayland quickly straightened up and looked to the door, suggesting, "A signal, perhaps?  A wahning?"  On cue, the ghost was whipped across the room, very nearly through the Doctor, and back to the corpse.  Which then became much more animated than one generally expected from a days-old corpse, "Wahning indeed!"

03:08, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards. Initiative!
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 18 posts
 P7 T11
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 21:03
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo’s shot is well aimed, a testament to the scout’s marksmanship.

It hits McDaniels in the face, just below his right eye. But as it strikes his flesh, the bullet flattens, the soft lead expanding as if it had slammed into steel. It clings to his skin for an instant, then falls away, landing harmlessly in his open hand, not even leaving a mark behind.

He smiles, his yellow teeth jagged and smeared with ash. “Actually señorita, you do,” he replies, letting the spent bullet tumble from his fingers. ”Just the one then, I take it?”

Mundane weapon - no damage taken

They yearn for what they fear for.” He lunges toward Castillo a second time, his movements almost entirely inhuman. ”Run, run little rabbit,” he hisses.

15:40, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 4,5 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Fighting.

15:41, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 10,5 using 1d12+1,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 9,5.  Damage.

Total Damage: 15

That will leave Castillo shaken with 2 wounds.

15:57, Today: Jim McDaniels drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Your turn, Señorita Castillo

Albert Cooper
 player, 273 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 21:29
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: QS for initiative.

14:28, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: QS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:54, Sun 02 June 2019.

Bryan Lee
 player, 279 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 21:50
IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Question:

Not sure of what the timing is on all of this. Bryan surely would've heard the rifle reporting in the distance - could he have used the last remainder of his Quickness to go check on Jacinta, taking him a bit closer to that conflict?

Initiative: JC

16:47, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.

Marshal
 GM, 473 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 22:24
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Lee could get further than Cooper was able to, but he would not have been able to actually reach the point, midway up the ridge, where the fight between Castillo and McDaniels was taking place.

In my estimation, Lee would be able to make it to the outskirts of Angus, near the start of the slope to the ridge. Now, please understand that there are walking corpses scattered all around the ghost town, so it’s quite possible that Lee might have to contend with one two at the settlement’s border.

Just let me know what you elect to do, and I’ll set up things accordingly.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 174 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W3 R2 B2 L0
Sun 2 Jun 2019
at 23:44
IVB - Graveyard
"¡Puta Madre!  ¡Cucuy!"  Jacinta swore, eyes widening in shock at how the man shook off what should have been a brain-splattering kill.  His lunge came so swiftly that she almost didn't register it until it was too late.  His claws caught her shirt as she threw herself sideways, ripping easily through fabric.  She turned her tumble down the slope into a controlled slide and then launched herself into a full run toward the town, moving as far and as fast as she could away from the inhuman.  His taunts rang harshly in her ears, but she knew when she'd been beaten and thought it better to take her chance with her friends than alone with el diablo.



Initiative: 8S

- Burning 1W 1R 1B to eliminate Jacinta's 2 wounds and Shaken condition.
- Using Jacinta's turn to flee to Angus

14:38, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 1,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  White Chip Soak.
14:39, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Red Chip Soak.
16:24, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Blue Chip Soak.
16:37, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Bryan Lee
 player, 280 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 00:45
IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Well, I figured since he heard the shots and that they didn't seen directed at Stanton as planned, that Jacinta might be in trouble or at least dealing with a new situation. He'd have wanted to make his way in that direction to see what was up, but would stop to engage the first deader in his path (so as not to take any free strikes). I leave it up to you as to where that puts him.
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 19 posts
 P7 T11
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 02:10
IVB - Graveyard
McDaniels crouches down on his haunches, making no move to pursue the retreating scout, content to watch her, and the darkness that has overtaken Angus, a cruel smile on his monstrous features.

Castillo’s slide enables her to land on her feet, her subsequent run bringing her to the edge of town, where she spots a pair of risen corpses that have just emerged from the ground. A moment later, Lee rounds the corner of the building to the left, a few paces away from the dead men.
Marshal
 GM, 474 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 02:11
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Okay, I’m going to compromise. Lee will get within one move action away from Castillo, but in the process of dashing through town, he takes one wound from a deader, which will turn him into a zombie wing chun expert in three rounds. The good news is that it provides him 4 points of armor against any kind of physical damage, except fire. The bad news is that every round he throws a punch or kick, there’s a 20% chance that the limb in question flies off of him in the process of making the strike. Missing extremities can be retrieved and reattached.

I’m kidding.

I’m actually going to say that Lee was able to reach the point I’ve marked on the map by moving through town while the dead were still emerging from the earth.



As always, please forgive my clumsiness in producing tactical maps.

L = Bryan Lee
J = Jacinta Castillo
C = Albert Cooper

Z = Walking Corpse

Currently Dr. Wayland and Bauer (and Stanton) are still in the teinda, the structure marked with an X on the map.

Please note that the map incorporates, for lack of a better term, fog of war. The dead that are marked are only those that are immediately visible to one or more characters.

20:37, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

20:44, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

QS - Albert Cooper
JC - Bryan Lee
10D - Lena Bauer
8S - Jacinta Castillo
8H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
4S - The Dead

Albert, it’s your turn.

Note: Unlike in Deadlands Classic (or George Romero films), these deaders don’t require a head shot to be killed. Called shots to the head do additional damage (+4), but aren’t necessary to put them down.

For reference, the deaders have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. Their Pace is 4.

Albert Cooper
 player, 277 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 15:06
IVB - Graveyard
Albert looked at the wall of zombie-flesh between him and the direction he wanted to go. "Well, shit."

He spun his pistol on his finger and blue lightning ran up and down the barrel before a bullet flew from the barrel. It struck one of the dedders center mass. Of course there were more...which meant this was quite the pickle.

"J-Lo, y'alright!?!?" Albert called in her direction, hoping that she was taking care of herself. He knew she was plenty capable, but anyone left alone was vulnerable. A person could only look in so many directions at once.

OOC:
08:01, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 2H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

08:01, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 11 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Damage.

08:00, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 5,7 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Shooting.

07:59, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+4)10.  Hexslinger (Smite).

This message was last edited by the player at 15:17, Mon 03 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 475 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 17:12
IVB - Graveyard
The bolt of blue energy that slams into the reanimated corpse, the centermost of the three facing Cooper, literally cuts the creature in half, the charred remnants of the zombie landing on the street with a heavy thud. If the other two deaders are aware of their fellow’s demise, they show no reaction.

Initiative Order

QS - Albert Cooper
JC - Bryan Lee
10D - Lena Bauer
8S - Jacinta Castillo
8H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
4S - The Dead

Ranger, you’re next.

Bryan Lee
 player, 281 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 20:21
IVB - Graveyard
Bryan shifted to his right as he saw Jacinta making a bee line towards him, and took up a position that would let him take a swing or two at one of the deaders without giving both of them an easy shot at him - and hopefully leaving a clear line of sight for Jacinta.

OOC:

Attack: 4
Attack (Wing Chun): 16

Guessing only the second hit, and with a raise at that likely, so I rolled Damage only once:

Damage: 14

15:18, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 14 using d6+d4+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(4+4+3)11,2.  Damage.
15:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 16,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
15:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).

15:21, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.


This message was last edited by the player at 20:22, Mon 03 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 476 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 21:47
IVB - Graveyard
With a strike so swift it escapes vision, Lee decapitates the closest of the walking corpses, sending the crushed head flying into a nearby clump of spruce. The body spasms violently, then topples to the dusty ground.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 56 posts
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 21:47
IVB - Graveyard
Bauer unleashes a paragraph’s worth of curses as Stanton rises. She shoulders her shotgun without hesitation, reflexively pulling both of the weapon’s triggers as the corpse advances toward her and Dr. Wayland.

16:19, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,6,4 using 1d8,1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,6,4.  Shooting.

16:21, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 23,11 using 3d6,3d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+6+5)17,4,2,5,4,2.  Damage.


The shotgun’s report is tremendously loud inside the confines of the tienda. The weapon’s blast pulverizes Stanton’s chest, reducing his upper body to a fine mist. His arms spin off into different corners of the room, while his head bounces off of the top of the counter before disappearing behind it.

16:37, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 8C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

QS - Albert Cooper
JC - Bryan Lee
10D - Lena Bauer

8S - Jacinta Castillo
8H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
4S - The Dead

[u]Your turn, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 175 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 07:31
IVB - Graveyard
"Yea, just mighty pissed!"  Jacinta yelled back at Albert.  "McDaniels set us up and he ain't gonna die that easy."  Now wasn't the time for a full on explanation, however.  She jerked the lever on her Winchester to chamber another round and took a shot at the nearest dead head between her and Bryan.


Shooting: 4
Damage: 10
Initiative: 8H


Playing Adventure Card:
7D - Inspiration -- Friendly characters get +2 to trait rolls for one round



00:15, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2.  Shooting.
00:22, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 10 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,1.  Damage.
00:23, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:04, Tue 04 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 478 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 15:59
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo’s shot blasts the advancing corpse’s lower jaw off of its head. The undead creature staggers, its black tongue lolling, clearly disoriented and struggling to remain on its feet.

The zombie is shaken.

With regard to the Inspiration card that Castillo deployed, I’m going to rule that each member of the posse will benefit from the bonus on their next action. So the next time each character acts, be it in this round or the next, they’ll be able to apply the +2 to whatever trait rolls they make. Once everyone in the group has benefitted from the bonus one time, the effect will expire.

Initiative Order

QS - Albert Cooper
JC - Bryan Lee
10D - Lena Bauer
8S - Jacinta Castillo

8H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
4S - The Dead

Dr. Wayland, you have the floor.


Bryan and Jacinta, please provide me with a Notice roll.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 32 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 16:20
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland turned away from the newly risen Stanton, not so much in fear of the dead man (he had seen such things before while workin' on the railroad).  He had noted Bauer's shotgun coming up and hypothesized the likely result of both barrels at close range.  He continued his turn, even as Stanton shattered, and headed for the door coat-tails flapping.  He thumbed the catch for the clockworks, spinning up the dynamo to top off the charges he was sure he would be expending.

Reaching the door, Wayland stepped out next to Cooper and swung the lightning gun towards the pair closest, hoping to catch them in the sweep of the arc.  A hum vibrating through the wiring to the front coil before a brilliant, blinding bolt of lightning snapped out across the misty street.  The Doctor whipped the snapping arcs around in an only vaguely controlled fashion.  His smile was almost as brilliant as the flare of the electricity.

Shooting (Burst) - 7 (They Agi vs. 7 to avoid?)
Damage 1 - 17
Damage 2 (just in case I could catch 2) - 12

Next Round Card - 3H


2:17, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 3H using a deck of 54 cards.  Intiative!
12:16, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 12 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Damage 2 (If I managed to catch the other one).
12:15, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 17 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 9,8.  Damage 1.
12:12, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 7,7 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Lightning Burst!

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 176 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 16:23
IVB - Graveyard

Notice: 5 (or 7 if avoiding surprise attack)

09:20, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 5,4 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Notice.

Tamsin River
 player, 154 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 17:59
IVB - Graveyard
10:58, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 479 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:02
IVB - Graveyard
As though alive, the crackling bolt from Dr. Wayland’s gun seeks out the pair of walking corpses, the scent of burnt flesh momentarily strong in the abandoned street. Both of the walking dead begin to spasm violently from the electrical attack, their bodies shaking as though they were caught in the midst of a sudden earthquake.

Then they explode.

Cooper and Wayland are showered in a variety of necrotizing offal. A length of intestine lands around Cooper’s shoulders like a boa, or a long scarf. A skull, now charred and fleshless, flies over the two men’s heads and into the door behind them, prompting a exclamation of surprise from Bauer. From where the zombies stood, only a pair of mouldering work boots remain, the sole of one of them on fire. The sandy soil is blackened and the scent of ozone contends with the reek of decay in the hazy air in front of the tienda.
The Dead
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:03
IVB - Graveyard
The lone corpse that remains close to Castillo and Lee continues to rock back and forth, its injury apparently having rendered it momentarily defenseless. It takes no hostile action, only groaning softly.

10:20, Today: The Dead rolled 3 using 1d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Spirit.

The zombie remains shaken.


Around the western corner of the tienda, Cooper and Dr. Wayland see four more animated corpses step into view. The first of the group groans as it sights the two men.

East of their position, Castillo and Lee can see numerous zombies emerging from the shadowy streets. Some are walking aimlessly, but several, those closest to the ranger and scout, become more animated as they perceive the presence of living creatures, three or four of them moaning loudly as they begin walking toward the pair.

12:28, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.
Marshal
 GM, 480 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:04
IVB - Graveyard
12:28, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Tamsin River and Aileen Kearney emerge from the woods west of Angus, descending the slope of the small valley on horseback. The sound of gunfire as they drew near had warned the women of danger, but neither were fully prepared to find the corpses of dead men and women walking the streets, like sleepy predators waiting for prey to appear. Several stir at the arrival of the herbalist and mustanger, turning toward them at the sound of horse’s hooves.

12:40, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 1,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.



(The mapping program I was using previously wasn’t being cooperative. I hope this is usable for everyone.)

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Note: Unlike in Deadlands Classic (or George Romero films), these deaders don’t require a head shot to be killed. Called shots to the head do additional damage (+4), but aren’t necessary to put them down.

For reference, the deaders have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. Their Pace is 4.


Miss River, it’s your turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:00, Wed 05 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 481 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 20:21
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: I’m to treat Tamsin River as though she is holding her action, which will allow her to act later in the round if she chooses.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Jacinta, you’re up!

Bryan Lee
 player, 282 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 21:18
IVB - Graveyard
"Let's all get over to that Church!" he called out loud, hoping that Cooper, Bauer, and Wayland would hear him from wherever they were. He didn't know whether Jacinta had noticed or not, but he pointed a finger in that direction.

OOC:

Some talking as a free action.

Also, hot damn, no one drew over an 8!

This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Thu 06 June 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 177 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 07:24
IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta plugged another round into the zombiefied zombie, then broke into a run.  She passed Bryan and rounded the building, spotting the group at the tienda"Y'all hear 'em?!  Get to the church!  They ain't going near it."  Despite the chaos, she did a double take at Albert's new scarf.


Shooting: 7
Damage: 9
Initiative: AC


00:15, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 7,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Shooting.
00:15, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 3,6.  Damage.
00:16, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: AC using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 482 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 14:52
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo’s shot finds the temple of the wounded dead man, the rifle shot hollowing out his skull. Without another sound, the reanimated corpse topples, falling to the street in a heap.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 57 posts
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 14:53
IVB - Graveyard
Bauer appears in the front doorway of the tienda, behind Cooper and Dr. Wayland. She immediately gags. ”Good Lord! What happened out here?” she asks. ”Smells like something awful just came out of the south end of a northbound steer.”

Sighting the walking corpses advancing around the corner, she fires at the zombie in the lead, dropping it with a bullet to the forehead.

09:12, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 10,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+2)10,3.  Shooting.

09:12, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 14,1 using 2d6+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10,1.  Damage.

09:26, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 5S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer

6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Your turn, Ranger.

Bryan Lee
 player, 283 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 16:22
IVB - Graveyard
Bryan took off (bravely) running, as fast as his feet could carry him, hoping that they could make their stand at the Church.

OOC:

Bryan's gonna make for the Church so they can make their stand there. It looks like there's a clear path up and over for him to make it there. Taken his base Pace of 6" and his running roll below, he could be able to scramble 16"; if that's a square an inch, then he can get all the way there, and if not, I'll take what I can get.

He would probably stay just outside the door, leaving a clear path inside and being there to help anyone that got close but was having trouble.

11:13, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+4)10.  Running.

11:20, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.


Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 31 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
Kearney frowns as she hears Lee and Castillo’s voices urging others to head for the church. Spying Lee through the tangle of empty buildings, the mustanger tells River, ”C’mon! Follow me! Sounds like your friends have found a safe place to hole up!”

She urges her mount northward, snapping a shot at the first of the walking dead in her path, blasting the top of its head off.

17:02, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 9,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,3.  Shooting.

17:13, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 12,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,7,1.  Damage.

17:21, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

The Dead
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
At the tienda, two of the walking corpses swipe at Bauer and Cooper with their dirty claws. Both, however, are too quick for the dead, and manage to avoid the creatures’ attacks handily.

17:29, Today: The Dead rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Fighting.

17:29, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


The last of the group of corpses at the vacant store stumbles around its fellows, seeking Dr. Wayland with arms extended, but it is not quick enough to reach the bounty hunter with its unsteady gait.

Another of the dead men blocking Kearney’s path lumbers toward her as she advances, trying to pull her down from her mount. The mustanger is able to wheel her horse to the left, narrowly avoiding the creature’s claws.

17:30, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.

As Castillo and Lee enter what once served as Angus’ town square, both can see several more corpses pressing into the open space from several directions. None are yet close enough to attack either the ranger or the scout, but they are moving as quickly as they can manage, seemingly eager to halt the pair’s progress.

The groans of the awakened dead fill the once silent streets of the ghost town.

17:49, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 484 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead

3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Dr. Wayland, you’re next!

Marshal
 GM, 485 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 17:25
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Doc, here’s an updated map that should help with your decision making. In theory, Wayland would likely be able to catch several of the zombies in the town square to the north, or those in the cluster to the east, in an area of effect blast.


Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 35 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 18:29
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland did not seem all that surprised by the disgustingly explosive effects of lightning.  He had done a number of previous field experiments after all.  The gun itself whirred and clicked, humming with regarthered electrical power.  To Bauer, he noted, "Lightning!  Supahheats the bodily fluids!"  The dead closed in, but he also noted Castillo and Lee sprinting past and hearing the call to rally.  It seemed a prudent idea, so he followed, "To the Chapel!"  Catching up to the scout, he leveled his lightning gun at the pair of swarming dead at the north end of the square.  He pulled the trigger, releasing more crackling, whipping arcs of electricity.

Move next to the left of Castillo

Lightning Burst at the two directly North.  3 vs. Agility.  8 Damage.  Lightning is random!

15:07, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: JS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative!



This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Tue 11 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 486 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 21:35
IVB - Graveyard
The emitter gives off a loud, unpleasant whine before releasing a single, blue bolt of lightning that spears the air between the doctor’s two targets, blasting the door off of the building behind them with a sound like a thunderclap, scorching the adobe around the doorway black. From inside the structure, chunks of burning wood scattered across the floor give off an orange glow.

The zombies sway as if startled by what has transpired, but they regain their bearings quickly, resuming their steady pursuit of the living.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

2H - Albert Cooper

All yours, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 280 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 23:40
IVB - Graveyard
"Ain't leavin' without ya, Deputy." Albert made the statement while lining up a shot on one of the dedders directly in front of he and Lena. "But better if we stick with everyone else. Mebbe we ease on outta here soon?"

He squeezed the trigger almost nonchalantly. The thing was really hard to miss this close. Of course you still had to hit something important, though his bullets did have some extra magical oomph to them.

OOC: 6 to hit one of the dedders right in front of Bauer/Cooper (parry of 5). 20 damage.

10H for next init.

16:37, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 10H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

16:37, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 20 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+5)11.  Damage.

16:36, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting.

Marshal
 GM, 488 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 01:33
IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s well placed shot punches through the nearest deader’s chin, blasting a huge exit wound through the top of its head. The zombie staggers, then falls heavily onto its right side, a lifeless corpse once more.

”I truly ‘preciate it, Mr. Cooper,” Bauer replies, ”and I’m in full agreement. We need to make a run for that church.”

From his perch on the valley’s slope, Jim McDaniels silently watches the battle unfold with his unblinking, reptilian eyes.

Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
10H - Albert Cooper
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

Jacinta, you’re up!

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 178 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 02:02
IVB - Graveyard
"¡Dios mío!  What in the hell was that?!"  Jacinta exclaimed as lightening suddenly shout out of Ezekiel's contraption.  Not waiting for an answer, she continued to run for the church, eyes darting about the square in search of threats to avoid.


OOC: Using Jacinta's turn to run like hell for the church.

Running: 10 (6+4)
Initiative: AH


18:53, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Running.
17:47, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: AH using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Fri 14 June 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 38 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 08:16
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland's smile faded a bit as the bolt of lightning missed the pair.  More annoying that it was a single bolt, rather than the whipping, staccato burst of arcs that it /should/ have been.  He continued after the scout, making a quick adjustment to a few wires in the battery array and answering her question, "Operatah errah, ma'am!  You have my apologies!"  He turned the last few steps, leveling the lightning gun again at the dead at the northern side of the square and, more carefully this time, squeezing the trigger....

Follow Castillo towards the chapel, but also to put Wayland in a position for the burst to catch the three on the northwest-ish of the square.  Incidentally part of the building is probably in it as well...

To Hit - 9 vs. Agi.  Damage 12!

04:14, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 10C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative Draw.
04:09, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 12 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Damage!
04:09, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 9,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,2.  Shooting - Burst!

Albert Cooper
 player, 281 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 17:39
IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Albert goes on hold, presumably until Bauer's turn in the initiative order. He may jump in before then if necessary, but don't expect him to move again until 5S.

Marshal
 GM, 489 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:28
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo races to the front entrance of the church, meeting Lee, who has beaten her there by a matter of seconds. The door to the iglesia is unlocked, the exterior of the structure in sound condition, showing only a slight degree of weathering from time and the elements.

Following close behind her, Dr. Wayland aims his emitter at a group of the undead and fires, unleashing a cone of snapping blue electricity toward them.

11:52, Today: The Dead rolled 2,5,2 using 1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,2.  Agility.

The blast reduces two of the zombies to a black, tar like liquid that splatters across the face of the adobe building behind them. The third creature literally bursts into flames, waving its arms helplessly for a moment before collapsing onto the street, the fire greedily consuming it.
The Dead
 NPC, 3 posts
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:28
IVB - Graveyard
Each of the corpses that are in front of the tienda focus on the living that remain there: Bauer and Cooper. They attack fiercely, but their movements are slow enough that their assaults are easily avoided.

20:59, Today: The Dead rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Fighting.

20:59, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


Two of the corpses entering the square pursue those fleeing toward it. One lashes out at Bryan Lee with its claws, but the ranger turns the attack away with ease, an almost unconscious act on his part. The other reaches for Castillo with skeletal hands, but grasps only air.

21:06, Today: The Dead rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Fighting.

21:07, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


Two more of the living dead try to block Kearney’s path to the church. Both claw at the mustanger, but Kearney manages to avoid harm.

21:12, Today: The Dead rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Fighting.

21:12, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


More of the corpses move toward the town square, like moths drawn to a flame, seemingly intent on preventing the living from taking shelter in the iglesia

21:21, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 3H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 490 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:30
IVB - Graveyard


Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

Tamsin, you’re next!

Bryan, since it’s doubtful that your action will affect River or Kearney immediately, you can also post when you’re ready.

Tamsin River
 player, 155 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 15:03
IVB - Graveyard
[Posted by Marshal]

River urges her horse forward, following Aileen Kearney. Drawing her pistol, she takes aim at one of the deaders harassing the mustanger, squeezing off a shot that strikes it in the temple, blowing out its brains in a black spray, and sending it tumbling lifelessly to the street.

07:18, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, rolled 4,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting.

07:21, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, rolled 15 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+5)11,4.  Damage.

09:50, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 491 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 15:03
IVB - Graveyard
Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River

6D - Bryan Lee - Holding
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

I’m going to treat Lee as though he is holding. If he hasn’t taken an action by the end of the round, I will act for him.

Mr. Cooper, Deputy Bauer is inclined to follow your lead with regard to escaping the dead, so you can take your action now, if you’re so inclined.

Bryan Lee
 player, 284 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 16:13
IVB - Graveyard
As the deaders came in close, Bryan sprung into action, especially seeing that one was dogging Jacinta's heels. First, however, he had to take on the one that was on him if he didn't want to turn into chop suey himself.

He slammed a fist into it, and saw the dead man crumple from the bone shattering impact. Spinning about, he closed with Jacinta’s attacker with a few rapid steps, caving in the creature’s rib cage with another well aimed blow. It fell, leaving the entrance to the church, for the moment, clear of enemies.


OOC:

Fighting: 9
Wing Chun: 9 ,
Damage: 29
Damage (Wing Chun): 12

11:07, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 29 using d6+d4+d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1,(6+6+6+5)23.  Wing Chun Damage (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender, Raise).
11:07, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 12 using d6+d4+d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2,3.  Damage (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender, Raise).
11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 6,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).

11:13, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:28, Thu 13 June 2019.

Albert Cooper
 player, 282 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 17:31
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Marshal:

Mr. Cooper, Deputy Bauer is inclined to follow your lead with regard to escaping the dead, so you can take your action now, if you’re so inclined.


OOC: You can correct my understanding of the tactical situation, but it looks like Bauer only has one dedder adjacent to her rather than the two next to Cooper. Better if she kills the one next to her and moves and then he follows. That way we avoid extra attacks as we disengage.

Albert lined up his next shot. "Head ta the church, Deputy. I'm right behind you."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:32, Thu 13 June 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 58 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
“Ugly bastards,” the deputy snarls, widening her stance on the store’s front step. Slamming the hammer of her pistol with her open palm, she sends several shots slicing toward the undead attackers.

Fanning the hammer.

12:48, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 3,5,19,4,4,6 using 1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d6-2, rerolling max ((5,7,(8+8+5)21,6,6,(6+2)8)). Shooting. (Hip Shooting Edge)

One miss.

13:09, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 7,10,11,7 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1, rerolling max ((3,3,5,4,5,5,2,4)).

14:06, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Damage - Raise.

Total Damage (First Zombie): 7, 15

Total Damage (Second Zombie): 11, 7


Both corpses crumple under the sudden burst of gunfire. Bauer starts running toward the square, moving as fast as she can manage. ”C’mon! Let’s get to that church!” she urges.

13:18, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: JD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative .
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 32 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney shifts her aim toward the remaining deader and fires, the carbine’s blast removing most of the corpse’s face.

13:29, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 6,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Shooting.

13:29, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 13 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 6,7.  Damage.

14:28, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 492 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard


Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney


Mr. Cooper, you can take your action before we shift to a new round.

Albert Cooper
 player, 283 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 21:06
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded appreciatively at the quick clearing of the nearest walking corpses. "Nice shootin', ma'am."

He then moved toward the town square where everyone else seemed to be gathering and squeezed off a shot at one of the reanimated, appreciating his own good marksmanship when the bullet struck true.

OOC: Albert moves 5 squares northeast. He will shoot the enemy that is at the northwest edge of the central square.

10 to hit.
14 damage (including raise - bullet is magical if it matters as Smite is still active)

AS for init.

14:00, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

14:00, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 14 using 3d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2,4.  Damage (including raise).

13:59, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 9,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,(6+4)10.  Shooting.

Marshal
 GM, 494 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 18:14
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s well placed shot strikes the corpse just a few paces north of Bryan Lee, the bullet destroying the creature’s head, reducing it to an unidentifiable ruin. The deader drops to the street without a sound.

Castillo pushes the door to the iglesia open. She and Lena Bauer proceed inside. A moment later, Aileen Kearney and Tamsin River wheel around the corner of the church on their mounts. Hastily hitching the horses, the pair join the scout and the deputy inside. Lee remains at the door, while Cooper and Dr. Wayland cover the rest of the group’s entrance into the building.

Cooper had already skillfully dispatched one one of the walking corpses north of the ghost town’s square, but the two that remain advance several steps. Inexplicably, they halt several paces away from the church. They continue to make gurgling snarls, clearly still aggressive toward the living, but are seemingly unwilling, or unable to continue their pursuit. From other quadrants of Angus, the sounds of the shuffling dead can still be heard clearly.

Inside, the small church is notably intact, free of dust, its furnishings undamaged. A few steps away from the entrance is a small basin on a pedestal, the bowl filled with clear water. A central aisle is flanked by five rows of short pews on each side, the benches carved from polished pine. An altar occupies the far end of the iglesia. It is covered with a white cloth and atop it are a silver cross, a plate, a cup, and a glass bottle that appears to be filled with red wine. Beside the bottle is a leather bound book, presumably a Bible.

Behind the altar, to the right, is a single wooden door, which is closed.

Seated at the far end of the front, left hand pew, leaning against the wall, is a thin man with wavy blonde hair. His eyes are closed and he does not stir or acknowledge the presence of the newcomers as they enter. His black shirt and white collar identify him as a minister. With both arms, he is clutching a book to his chest.

Bauer’s eyes widen and she takes a hesitant step toward the center aisle. ”Reverend Benton?” she asks quietly.

The man gives no response.

OOC: Mr. Cooper, Dr. Wayland, if either of you want to take a shot at the nearby deaders, feel free.

Also, could everyone who is still at the church’s entrance (Cooper, Lee, Wayland), provide me with a notice roll?

Albert Cooper
 player, 285 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 18:29
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert sends zed back to the ground as he moves the last few steps toward the church.

OOC: 12 damage. Take that, zombie!

11:25, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 12 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Damage.

11:25, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.  Departing shot.


After he made it inside, he paused and breathed heavily for a few moments before his head snapped up at Bauer's exclamation. He started to reload his gun as he moved closer to one of the windows to peer outside, though he was quite curious about what the reverend had to say.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 40 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 04:12
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland backed into the church after the others, keeping his humming weapon leveled at the swarming dead.  He recognized that, for whatever reason, they were not encroaching further.  So, he opted to keep the lightning in the bottle, so to speak.  Though he did not fault Cooper a parting shot and gave said shot an approving nod.

Staying by the door, the bounty hunter set about checking over his weapon with practiced ease and began rewinding the clockworks.  Though long habit of dangerous work kept a measure of attention out the door at the enemies without...

00:10, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2,5 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5. Notice!
Bryan Lee
 player, 286 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 05:20
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Notice: 16

00:17, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,16 using d6,d6, rerolling max (((6+4)10,(6+6+4)16)).

Albert Cooper
 player, 286 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 05:23
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Albert’s Notice is 9.

22:22, Yesterday: Albert Cooper rolled 7,9 using D6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7,(6+3)9.  Notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:33, Sun 16 June 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 179 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 06:33
Re: IVB - Graveyard
As soon as Jacinta was in and safe from the snarling corpses, she took a breath and threw a glance about for any dangers within.  Pausing by the font, she dipped her fingers into the blessed water and made the sign of the cross while murmuring a soft prayer to herself.  With the religious necessities seen to, she immediately began reloading her rifle with rounds from her belt, sliding them into the side loading port as she paced the length of the church.  She threw the praying minister a glance, but as he wasn't familiar to her and not an immediate threat, she didn't interrupt his silent worship.  Instead, she moved around the altar to the closed door and tried the knob to see if it would open.  Investigate possible threats first.  Relax later.
Marshal
 GM, 495 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 17:59
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s parting shot rends one of the corpse’s left shoulder and arm free from the rest of its decaying body. The undead creature staggers backward from the impact, then literally falls apart, pieces of it tumbling to the ground.

Castillo opens the door at the rear of the humble sanctuary, finding that a small office waits on the other side of it, undoubtedly once belonging to the priest who served here. A chair and a small couch occupy one end of the narrow space, while a desk and a small cot, the latter covered with an Indian blanket, take up the other. A number of papers sit scattered haphazardly atop the desktop, a pair of worn books stacked on one corner.

But it is not the furnishings that seize the scout’s attention, but rather the walls. Crosses of varying sizes hang on all four walls, some ornate and meticulously crafted, other homemade, carved from wood by a whittler’s hand. Sweeping the room with her gaze, Castillo estimates that there are around fifty crosses mounted within the office.

In a space directly above the desk, block letters have been painted neatly in black. They read: 2 Cor 11: 14.

Bauer approaches the motionless form of Thomas Benton. ”Reverend?”, she asks again, only a few steps away from him, but as before, he gives no answer. Reaching out, she touches his neck with two of her fingers. After a moment, her expression darkens and she sinks onto the pew beside him. ”Damn,” she mutters.
Albert Cooper
 player, 287 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 20:10
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert squinted at what he saw in the distance but didn't discuss it with anyone yet. Instead he turned from the windows toward the reverend and deputy. A few strides brought Albert right next to Bauer. "Damn is right. Sorry ya had ta find 'im like this, ma'am."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 41 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 18 Jun 2019
at 16:03
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland's eyes narrowed at whatever he was seeing out the door, his voice dropping low, "Bigger on the outside....  Side...  Whose side....  dead side...  lively...."  He finished up his check of the lightning gun and leaned it gently against the wall by the door.  His attention remained on whatever might be going on out that door; the others seemed to have the rest of the little church well enough in hand.  He withdrew his pistol from under his coat and began unloading it.  The bullets seemed to be tipped with a gray-ish wax instead of the more usual lead.  To Lee he inquired, "That odd gentleman outside known to you, Rangah?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Wed 19 June 2019.

Bryan Lee
 player, 287 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 01:57
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"That man is Jim McDaniels. A local strongman in Lincoln and enforcer for a criminal syndicate," he said to Wayland. "By reputation, a mean sonuvabitch and a tough one too, so if he knows we're all here, we best be loaded for bear. Señorita Castillo, what was that you said about McDaniels setting us up, and that he wasn't gonna die that easy? He may be headin' our way, so I figure better to know now than later."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 180 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 06:33
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta closed the door of the office behind her and rejoined the others in the sanctuary.  She gave the dead priest another glance and crossed herself as she passed, but didn't disturb the body.  Hearing Lee's question, she grunted.  "Yea, he set up this ambush and said he was gonna watch us all get ripped to shreds on account of we've been sticking our nose in business that ain't ours.  McDaniels ain't no man.  He's somethin' else.  I put two bullets in 'em.  The first, Coop's bullet, made 'em pause, but he shook it off.  The second should have splattered his brains all over the rocks, but the slug just bounced off his skin.  He ain't human," she repeated, feeling the need to emphasize that point.

"Regular bullets ain't gonna kill 'em, and I don't know if your frying dragon style is gonna stop 'em either, Chino.  So unless Coop has a mess of magic bullets that he can pass out to everyone, or...," she paused, her eyes falling on the holy water.  Without another word, she began to eject the rounds from her rifle and tossed each one into the font.

"Don't know if the blessing'll work with the padre being dead, but sure can't hurt."   Jacinta didn't have a direct spiritual connection with the almighty, but her father had raised her Catholic, so she still carried those traditions with her.  While none of those traditions had included blessing bullets, she wasn't adverse to gaining an advantage whenever possible.  As she removed each bullet from the water, she crossed herself with it, said a soft prayer, and then reloaded it into her rifle.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:36, Wed 19 June 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 59 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
”Yeah. Wish I’d found him in time,” the deputy says with a heavy sigh. She looks briefly around the sanctuary. ”This place...his search for answers brought him here. There’s got to be somethin’ worth finding in this town.”

Carefully, she frees the volume from his embrace, scowling as she sees a series of puncture wounds in his chest, formerly concealed by the book. The injuries follow a pattern, resembling four fingers and a thumb, as if the pastor was attacked by a clawed hand.

Her mouth still pressed into a regretful line, Bauer opens the book, her eyes narrowing as she studies the first two pages. ”It looks like...some kind of ledger.”
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 33 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney peeks inside the office behind the altar, letting out a low whistle. ”Sure looks like the padre was gettin’ ready to do battle with somethin’. Or at least doin’ his best to keep the devil and his crew away.”

“Think it was McDaniels he was worried about?”


She ventures over to the desk to inspect its contents.
Marshal
 GM, 496 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:02
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Outside, the groans of the dead grow louder. The walking corpses remain at a distance, but more have gathered, moving apparently as close to the iglesia as they are able.
Bryan Lee
 player, 288 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:49
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Coop, how long would it take you to scare up a mess o' them bullets?" he said.

He maintained his focus on what was going on outside so he could help orchestrate a response to the threat.

OOC:

Notice: 4

21:47, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:49, Thu 20 June 2019.

Tamsin River
 player, 156 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 18:54
Re: IVB - Graveyard
After assuring herself that the priest is, in fact, dead, Tamsin River follows Aileen into the office.
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 34 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 04:13
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney picks up the pair of books. Seeing that River has followed her, she offers one to the herbalist.

Opening her own, the mustanger says, ”Looks like this was a journal the priest who tended this church kept.” She flips through several pages. ”Talks a lot about the town bein’ in trouble. About some of the folk here puttin’ their trust in the wrong people.”

River’s volume is written in language that immediately strikes her as archaic, possibly written centuries ago. A brief examination seems to suggest that it is a text on demonology,  dedicated to identifying the manifestations of infernal spirits.
Marshal
 GM, 497 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 04:13
Re: IVB - Graveyard
PM
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 42 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 08:43
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland placed the unloaded cartridges into a pocket of his coat as he listened.  Muttering, "And heah I thought I came loaded for beah....  Beah...  snahe...  Trap?  Bait...  Traps need bait...."  He then began reloading the weapon with more normal looking ammunition as he distractedly pondered.  Of course, distraction wasn't particularly useful for someone who put themselves on door watching duties...

04:24, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2,1 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1. Notice!
Albert Cooper
 player, 288 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 13:08
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert tipped his head side to side at Bryan's question. "Depends on how big a mess ya want. Five or six of 'em in a mattera minutes. More'n that prolly ain't happenin' in time ta use 'em. Unless we're sleepin' here. I also got other ways of makin' my bullets hurt that fella. Though that don't help nobody else."

He looked over at the windows. "We go outside these walls, ain't only McDaniels we gotta worry 'bout. Though by the looks o' the reverend, possible he can come in here."

Albert looked over at Kearny. "Is puttin' their trust in the wrong people meant ta mean jus' bad people, like criminals? Or is it preacher talk fer not followin' Godly folk? Or is it like followin' the devil or somethin?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 289 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 21:32
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"I've seen somethin' of this sort before and I don't know quite how they do it, but I think only Coop's bullets, Dr. Wayland's device, a special fighting style that I've practiced, and just maybe those bullets dipped in holy water will do the trick against McDaniels," he said.

"Deputy, and anyone else with bullets, I suggest you do the same as the Señorita here. Coop, if you could scare up some more of your bullets, I believe they'd aid you greatly here. Dr. Wayland, I believe that the voltage your device outputs will be especially effective against McDaniels, the fella that set all this nonsense up around here. I know it's not what you came here for, but you're all wrapped up in it with us now."

"I know a holy place when I see one, and this place certainly is. I'd like to think that one of Reverend Benton's last acts was to see that this place was sanctified, that it could stand as a redoubt for good men and women who find themselves in a dark place like this town. It might've been too late for him , but it's what gave us sanctuary against those things out there, which as you can see, aren't getting too close here. That bein' said, I think they're all wrapped up with McDaniel, and unless we wanna be trapped in here forever...we're gonna have to take him down."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 181 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 06:41
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta looked oddly at her gun, then shook her head as she came back to the present, hearing Lee's advice.  "Si, there might be something to this water.  Gave me this calm feeling.  I'd like to put one of these bullets in McDaniels and see how it fares." She walked to the door to have a look outside.  "You see him heading down this way?  I owe 'em one.  Conejo, mi culo," she muttered.  The metallic clack of her rifle's lever gave emphasis to the curse as she loaded a round into the chamber.
Bryan Lee
 player, 290 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 14:57
Re: IVB - Graveyard
He peered out the window, looking a bit disturbed.

"I don't think so. Actually...I think he's gone or at least has gotten himself outta sight. If I told you he'd just sprouted leathery demon wings and flew away, would you believe me?"

There were certain topics that he wasn't supposed to openly acknowledge as a Ranger, but hell, these people had just waded through a town full of walking corpses. There was only so long he could play dumb about this stuff until folks believed that he actually was.
Albert Cooper
 player, 289 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 18:18
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded at the suggestion. "I still got one of my specials. Be happy ta make one fer others tho...Jay-Lo, you wanna let me scratch on one of yer bullets? Deputy?"

Not that Albert could make a second one for himself or for anyone else.
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 35 posts
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 18:37
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney shakes her head at Cooper’s question. ”Way it reads, the priest who was here, Father Sastre, was upset cause some of the folks that helped found the town got talked into joinin’ a wagon train. They were supposed to make a fortune in California. Find all kinds of gold and ghost rock.”

She glances at Cooper. ”Fella that talked ‘em into it was named Murphy. Seems Father Sastre was convinced there was somethin’ wrong with the whole thing. That Murphy was runnin’ a game on people. Gettin’ ‘em to turn their backs on what they’d worked so hard to build.”

She flips through several pages. ”But then, a bit later...this other smooth talkin’s sort came to town. Showed up after a bad winter. When Spring hadn’t brought much rain. Claimed to have the secret to makin’ the crops grow and drawin’ in the hardiest livestock. Make Angus into a place even John Chisholm’d be jealous of.”

“It was Jim McDaniels. And...if I’m understandin’ right...he had a bunch of folks enter into some kind of agreement. Kind of thing that had the priest scared. Like signin’ your soul away, or some such.”

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 20 posts
 P7 T11
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 18:38
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Outside, the groans of the dead grow louder.

There is a loud thump on the roof of the iglesia, followed by a few footfalls that are heavy enough to be heard by those within the church.

”You hear me down there?” It is McDaniels’ voice, but but deeper, with a gravelly quality. ”Doesn’t have to be this way you know. You’re willin’ to see reason, you can walk out of here. Forget this place. Forget New Mexico. All of you find some other spot to put down roots. Make the world a better place in some other corner of the frontier, as you choose.”

“I’m open to an agreement. One with generous terms. But...if you’re wantin’ to be stupid and stubborn, don’t make any mistake. It may take me a little time to push through everything those good for nothing preachers laid down in there, but I will get inside. And every last one of you’ll be a cold corpse before sundown.”

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 43 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 20:02
Re: IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland paused his reloading at the suggestion of immersing his cartridges in a stand of water.  Over his years of gunfighting and general railroad warmongering, he had many opportunities to observe closely the effects of water on ammunition.  So, he was not immediately disposed to the idea...  On the other hand, he was in a town being surrounded by the walking dead.  Who were being lead by a madman who was, according to the only report, immune to normal ammunition.  Moreover, empirical evidence showed that /something/ in this church repelled those same too-lively deceased persons.

All that to say, the Doctor opted to take his turn at the font.  He even tried to remember some sort of prayer or blessing or at least something "churchy".  It had been a while.  Busy and all.  But, he was willing to experiment.

As to the apology for "being all wrapped up in it now", Wayland waved it off as he "washed" his ammo, "No reason to apologize.  I am happy to adapt to new situations.  I am quite certain we shall bring him down..."  His voice dropped again, muttering more quietly,"Or die trying...  Proof...  Pudding.... mmm.... pudding..."  While he waited on the bullets to....whatever...he reached into a pocket and pulled out a small paper bag.  From this he drew out a small yellow lozenge and popped into into his mouth with a grin.

He absently offered the bag of lemon drop candies to anyone near the font as he listened to the Deputy relate about the discoveries from the journal.  He started to say something, possibly about Kearney's notes, but was interrupted by the tapping on the roof and the huge voice.  A brow lifted, "Well...  I don't think the gentleman flew away..."
Bryan Lee
 player, 291 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 20:20
Re: IVB - Graveyard
He gave a wry grin to Wayland, and a wink to Jacinta.

"And what might those terms be?" he called out. "We've got some friends in town, would they be eligible for the same deal, if we make one?"

He made a 'get on with it' gesture in the direction of the holy water.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:29, Sun 23 June 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 182 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 22:53
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Well, I ain't gonna call you a liar," Jacinta muttered, hearing the thump from above.  Her eyes rose to the rafters, with the barrel of her gun following, though she wasn't aiming at any place particular as she navigated the main aisle between the pews to join the others.

Popping one of her unblessed bullets free of her belt, she dropped it into Cooper's hand. "Any ammo you don't put the whammy on, should go in the holy font," she murmured quietly to Cooper, Kearney, Bauer, and Tamsin.  "Preacher must have blessed it, too.  God rest his soul."  She crossed herself again, throwing the preacher's corpse another glance.
Albert Cooper
 player, 290 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 03:32
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert took the bullet from Jacinta with a nod, and didn't waste any time pulling out the etching tool he used to add a rune of power to a bullet. He sat down on one of the nearby pews to begin his work, focusing on that rather than what was happening on the roof. Someone would let him know if he was needed for something else.

OOC: Shootist roll of 5, so a success on Jacinta's bullet, which will again produce an extra die of damage and is magical.

Based on PMs, I believe that Albert currently has 7/10 PP remaining. He can spend up to 3 more on Shootist-enhanced bullets.

20:21, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 3,5 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Shootist (LFB).

Note that this does take a full minute, so he won't hand it to Jacinta until Albert's next post (presuming folk are busy for the next minute)


While he was scratching at the casing, Albert spoke in general. "Anyone else that wants one o' these, lemme know. Packs a little extra punch and seems guaranteed ta damage that fella."
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 60 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 03:45
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer empties the rounds from her revolver into the basin, adding four shotgun shells that she draws out of a pocket. She seems momentarily transfixed by the water, muttering softly as she begins to retrieve the ammunition.

”...leads me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...”

She offers one of the bullets to Cooper.
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 36 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 03:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney unloads her carbine, dropping one cartridge at a time into the blessed water. She looks from the ceiling to Castillo, then Lee. ”Just what exactly is this fella?”
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 21 posts
 P7 T11
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 03:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
”’Fraid anyone back in Lincoln made their bed a long time before you came along.” McDaniels replies, his footfalls thudding on the roof as he paces. ”But if you want out of here...well that’s easy. I just need you to pass your word. Maybe shed a drop of blood or two on the street out here, just to demonstrate your commitment, you understand.”

He chuckles, the noise of sand sliding over dry paper. ”’Course, I’d need a little insurance, to make certain you held up your end of the bargain. So, one of you would have to stay here. Just until the rest made it across to one of the other territories. Old Mexico, Texas, Arizona. Wherever. It’s your trail to ride. Once you got there, and believe me, I would know when it happened, I’d cut the straggler loose.”

“You leave it to me choose, I’d pick that riflewoman with the braids. She’s damned entertaining, you ask me.”

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 183 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 06:32
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta snorted at the devil's words, then flicked a look at Kearney.  "You read the book, didn't ya?  'bout McDaniels getting people to sign their souls away or some such?  Sounds to me like we got ourselves a certified demon.  Ain't never come across one, but I know for damn sure that the man out there ain't human.  He's got claws and yellow eyes.  If you saw 'em the way I did, you'd swear he'd been dead a long while, too."

She turned her attention back to Bryan.  "Heard 'em?  Shed blood out there, and I bet we'd all end up like those walking corpses forever.  I'd stay behind if it really meant the others could get out alive, but I don't see him keepin' that promise."
Albert Cooper
 player, 291 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 06:35
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert held Jacinta's bullet between his finger and chewed on his upper lip as he looked at it. With a nod, he handed it to Jacinta. "Looks good. Same kind ya had last time. Think of it as a...practical gift. And ain't no way yer stayin' behind."

Albert then took the bullet from Bauer and went to work on it. "Comin' right up, Deputy."

OOC: Used a white chip on this one


20:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Reroll (white).

20:30, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 3,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Shootist (LFB).

Again, it'll take a minute, so it won't be ready for a bit.


Albert quietly offered some advice while he worked. "Course y'all might wanna argue a bit while I work. Make it sound like yer discussin' the offer."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 184 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 06:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
With a nod of thanks to Albert, Jacinta loaded the bullet into her gun, making it the second round she'd shoot if it came down to it.
Tamsin River
 player, 157 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 07:08
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Tamsin can’t read the book, but she tucks it away anyways. She follows everyone else in unloading her gun and dipping the bullets in holy water. “If we have time I’ll take one.”
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 44 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 08:04
Re: IVB - Graveyard
As no one seemed interested, Dr. Wayland put away the rest of the candy, though he continued to enjoy the one he was sucking on.  As Bauer finished her, admittedly, better prayer and took out her bullets, the scientist retrieved his own.  They were quickly loaded into the pistol again. As he worked, he did watch Mr. Cooper's scratching with undisguised curiosity.  But the menace from above took his attention again.  He did seem to agree with the scout's contention, "No...  Well...  He might keep it, but no doubt would find a loophole and end us all anyway.  Lawyah.... demon....  Theah's quite a bit of crossover, in my experience...."  The Doctor headed back for his lightning gun by the doorway, pitching his voice louder for the benefit of McDaniels, "Could we get any of this in writing?  I prefah to review any contracts in writing."
Bryan Lee
 player, 293 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 20:52
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bryan Lee had been about to respond, but he grinned as Wayland's question might buy them more time.

He waited to see what McDaniels said before he presented the man his own counteroffer. Sooner or later the man would figure out that they were stalling for time and would begin to advance his own agenda, but perhaps in the interim, Cooper might whip up some more bullets and more of the others might dip their bullet in holy water.

He took an opportunity to do the same, as a last reserve against McDaniels.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:55, Tue 25 June 2019.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 37 posts
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 16:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney looks back up at the ceiling. “An honest to hell demon.”

Shaking her head, she retrieves her cartridges from the basin, then loads them. Opening her revolver, she empties the bullets into her palm, puts them in a pocket, then draws out some different rounds from a pouch on her belt. As she reloads the pistol, she mutters under her breath, ”Damned things are such a pain in the ass.”
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 22 posts
 P7 T11
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 16:26
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Another dry chuckle. ”You must be a man of business. I respect that, wanting a record of your agreement. A couple centuries back, I did it all the time. Flowery writing and all.”

Inside the priest’s office, a number of crosses abruptly fall from the wall, clattering as the strike the floor.

”I can accommodate you. Once you’ve decided who’s staying, step outside and I’ll have something ready for everyone’s signature.”

Outside, the groans of the dead draw closer, increasing in volume.

”But don’t dawdle. Make your choice and come on. Otherwise I open this place up like a tin can and feed every one of you to the dead.”

OOC: Tamsin, before you give up on that book, give me a Knowledge: Occult roll.

If anyone happens to look, they would see that roughly a third of the crosses mounted in the walls of the priest’s office have fallen to the floor.

Tamsin River
 player, 158 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 20:36
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Good old forgotten skills.

13:31, Today: Tamsin River rolled 2,5 using d8,d6, rerolling max ((2,5)). Knowledge: Occult.


Tamsin’s head twists at the noise, expecting to see that they are no longer alone in the church. No, just the crosses. She frowns, but stays quiet.
Bryan Lee
 player, 294 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 03:13
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bryan finished reloading his weapon with the holy-water touched bullets, and then holstered it. He gave a nod to each of his compatriots, letting them know that it was about to be on.

The Ranger took a small amount of the holy water as well and rubbed it all over his hands, letting it air dry on them.

"Well, I'm not so sure about some of the particulars. I ain't keen on leavin' friends behind, you see, so I'm gonna make you a counter-offer," he called out to the man on the roof, or whatever McDaniels was.

"If you turn yourself in peaceably and appraise me as to the particulars of any criminal activities that your associates are involved in, I will spare you the hangman's noose and see that you only serve a reduced sentence."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 46 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 16:19
Re: IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland stood by the front door again, his lightning gun back in his hands.  He idly tweaked a wire here...  Gave the clockwork a click or two and released it to begin spinning up the dynamo again.  He glanced at the clattering in the backroom, but did his best to remain looking unconcerned.  Catching Lee's "get ready" look, the bounty hunter gave a faint nod and looked out the door at the approaching dead....and whatever else he might be able to get a look at...
Albert Cooper
 player, 293 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 21:43
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert gave the most recently inscribed bullet back to the Deputy. "Like I said to J-Lo, little extra punch and it sounds as if it'll definitely affect that fella."

He then accepted the one from Tamsin and got to work on it as well, his head down as Albert concentrated on his task. He could still talk though. "And a little extra power fer Flower Power." And listen.

OOC: This one, too, will be successful. Tamsin - the bullet in question will do an extra die of damage and will be magical in nature.

14:38, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7,3 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Shootist (LFB).

Remaining PP: 5/10. 4 of them are tied up in bullets (Deputy, Jacinta, Tamsin, Albert). One was used to help with shooting dedders. He can etch one more bullet.

As he needs a minute to finish it up, Albert likely won't be done with Tamsin's until just before it's time for the shooting to start.

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 23 posts
 P7 T11
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 02:15
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer accepts the bullet from Cooper, nodding at him gratefully. She peers at the inscription briefly before loading the round into her pistol.

”So you’d hogtie me, then whisk me off to Santa Fe? After I confessed all my wrongdoings and those that helped me commit ‘em, of course,” McDaniels replies.

Inside, another group of crosses clatter to the floor. Outside, Dr. Wayland can see that the dead, perhaps half a dozen of them, have drawn closer to the church. Within five or six paces of the front door.

”Don’t tell me. You still think this is all about scooping up land and cattle. About Mr. Murphy becoming such a powerful rancher that John Chisum gets eaten up with jealousy.”

“Tell you what, lawman. Give it about a week. If you’re still standin’, once you’ve gotten a good look at what’s happened around here by then, you come back and tell me if you think it’s still about a few extra steer.”


The pacing of the heavy footfalls halts near the center of the roof. ”Time’s almost up. Last chance to keep breathin’.”
Tamsin River
 player, 159 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 16:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
“I think Jim McDaniels is a ghost walker,” Tamsin says, flipping the book shut before she retrieves her bullets from the holy water and loads them into her gun. She leaves a space for the bullet Mr. Cooper is working on.
Albert Cooper
 player, 294 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 17:55
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper continued to work, though he was almost done. He stood and held it in his hand as he finished so that Tamsin could take it and add it to her load. "Good work, Flower Power. Now...does that mean ya know how ta take him down easy?"

OOC: Edit - actually Albert does have knowledge (occult). Will a 6 provide him some useful knowledge about this sort of thing?


19:20, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,3 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (4+2)6,3.  K(Occult) - ghost walker?

This message was last edited by the player at 02:21, Mon 01 July 2019.

Bryan Lee
 player, 296 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 03:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Alright folks, we need to start lightin' him and those deaders up sooner than later, before he has time to break this place in," the Ranger said quietly, making hurrying motions toward the door.

"Doc, if you could conduct some electroconvulsive therapy on the subject above, I'd be much appreciative. Coop, Señorita...light him up, and cover me when you can. I'll do my best with the deaders. Wait for my sign. Here goes nothin'." He walked over toward the doorway.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:25, Mon 01 July 2019.

Albert Cooper
 player, 297 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 12:45
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert looked up at Bryan briefly, though spoke as he continued to do his work. "Hold up a sec, General, I been thinkin'. And while I ain't never heard somethin' called exactly ghost walker, I have heard 'bout things sorta like this one goin' by various names. They are all malevolent spirits that supposedly got the ability ta raise the spirits of the dead and command 'em. So he's more a ghost wrangler than ghost walker. But whatever...a rose by any other name and so forth."

Albert glanced over at the book River has been studying, and considered that it was in the possession of that priest. "We can be purty sure this fella, McDaniels, is now a demon. As y'all seem ta have concluded, he's gonna be vulnerable ta any weapon that's blessed, includin' the holy water itself. He's also gonna be vulnerable ta weapons made from or containin' cold forged iron. I further expect that McDaniels ain't gonna be at full strength on any sorta sacred ground. Like this church here. Almost certain that a place consecrated ta a holy purpose would likely interfere with summa his....er, abilities."

He shrugged as he put a few more scraches into the bullet he was still upgrading. "That's all I got, but mebbe add that ta how yer strategizin'."
Bryan Lee
 player, 298 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 14:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bryan paused and  listened to Cooper's addition and nodded.

"So best we get started on 'im before he pulls down this sanctuary."

The Ranger continued his path to the door, and stood in the doorway for a moment like like a coiled spring, focusing his energy before launching himself full speed into the closest deader he can find.

OOC:

He'll position himself so that he's of greatest obstruction to the deaders trying to make it in the front door or front side of the building.

  • Knowledge Occult roll of 2, so I guess Bryan hasn't heard of the Ghostwalkers
  • Spending 4 PP to cast Quickness (rolled at 5), giving him another immediate action.
  • Spending 4 PP to cast Damage Field (rolled a 5), making anything that attacks him by making contact take 2d6 damage


Quickness: 1/3
Damage Field: 1/3

22:38, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Damage Field.
22:38, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Quickness.
22:33, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Knowledge:Occult.
22:42, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 2S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative for next round as needed.


This message was last edited by the player at 18:29, Mon 01 July 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 61 posts
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 17:22
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer pushes open one of the windows on the northern wall of the sanctuary, takes a step back, then springs through it.

08:53, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 12,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+4)12,2.  Agility.

The deputy comes out of a roll, shouldering her shotgun as she crouches in the dust. The report thunders in the quiet street as she targets one of the walking corpses a few paces away, but the shot goes wide.

08:53, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 1,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Shooting.

10:24, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 6S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 38 posts
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 17:22
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney shoves one of the southern windows open, then, grabbing the top of the frame, swings through the opening feet first.

08:56, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 6,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,2.  Agility .

Snapping her carbine to her shoulder as she lands on her feet, Kearney fires at the closest deader, blasting a ragged wound in its flank.

08:57, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 4,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.  Shooting .

08:58, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 8 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3.  Damage.

The zombie is shaken.

10:25, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 51 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 08:42
Re: IVB - Graveyard
At Lee's suggestion, Dr. Wayland gave a nod and a small grin.  He left the door to the Ranger and stepped back into the chapel proper, eyeing the roof.  He cocked an ear for the heavy footsteps...   The lemondrop candy clacked thoughtfully against his teeth....  As everyone began sallying forth, he raised the lightning gun to his shoulde, muttering, "Terribly sorry, reverend..."  He squeezed the trigger and the sanctuary was brilliantly illuminated by a bolt of God's own judgement...

*tosses the Payback Adventure Card in as well*  McDaniels thwarted his bounty...not to mention enslaving an entire town into undying servitude...  That sir, requires a reckoning....

Lightning Burst - To Hit 11, 25 Damage


The Dead
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 16:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
The walking dead gathered in front of the church seem momentarily stunned to have one of the living suddenly in their midst. Their dulled senses focusing on Bryan Lee, they move to surround the Ranger.

10:17, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 9H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 24 posts
 P7 T11
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 16:26
Re: IVB - Graveyard
The flare of Dr. Wayland’s emitter is momentarily blinding in the dim confines of the church, the blue cone of furious electrical energy ripping through the roof of the building with a noise like a thunderclap. In the midst of the tremendous noise, those nearby hear an inhuman howl of pain from above.

Pieces of burning wood, from the ceiling’s support timbers, along with crumbling chunks of adobe rain down into the room, filling the air with a cloud of dust and catching one of the left hand pews on fire. Among the descending debris, something large and heavy crashes to the floor.

In the dust, it appears as a great shadow, but as some of adobe settles, those within the iglesia see that it is a enormous winged creature. As it regains its feet it stretches up to ten feet in height, the span of its leathery wings a full seven feet in each direction. Reptilian flesh, mottled with shades of gray and green, is pulled tight over its powerful frame, black fur growing on isolated patches. In several places, the skin has ruptured, exposing thick, yellowed bones, stained with ash. The creature’s head is a bare skull, a snout filled with canine teeth extending from it, green eyes burning hatefully inside of dark sockets. Its legs are inverted, the knees facing behind it like those of a bird of prey, and its hands and feet end in long, black talons. Smoke rises from where its feet touch the sanctuary floor.

”Well played,” the thing that is Jim Mc Daniels tells Dr. Wayland, ”Course, you understand I’m gonna have to kill you for that little stunt.”

Dr. Wayland’s blast of lightning leaves McDaniels shaken with 1 wound.

11:07, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 8,7 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,(6+1)7.  Spirit.

The spirit roll will remove the shaken condition. The wound remains.

11:11, Today: Jim McDaniels drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Anyone who’s still inside the iglesia needs to provide me with a spirit roll. This is a Fear Test.

Anyone who hasn’t yet done so also needs to give me an initiative draw.

Nice shot, Dr. Wayland.

Albert Cooper
 player, 298 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 16:48
Re: IVB - Graveyard
After handing the bullet to Tamsin and seeing Wayland's aim, Albert situated himself so that he could easily point his weapon at whatever fell from above.

Given the warning from Bryan, Albert was none-too-surprised about what fell from above. Time for the shooting to start.

OOC: 8 Spirit, AH for initiative. Which is usually pretty good. But not good enough today.

09:44, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.

09:44, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 8,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8,3.  Spirit.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 52 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland couldn't complete hide the surprise at the form that collapsed through the roof.  Based on the talk, he assumed some form of horror....but not quite that.  But, he pushed down the fear and mentally acknowledged the existence of demon-like creatures in this weird world.  Lifting his voltaic weapon again to his shoulder, he noted to "McDaniels", "To be faiah, you were going to kill me anyway..."

Fear Check - 5  (Unless Payback's +2 vs him would count?)  Also willing to Red Chip it?

EDIT - Spend Red Chip for +4

Initiative Card - 6C

I'll hold post till I find out about the Fear.

14:39, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Red Chip Add to Fear Test.
13:59, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
13:58, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Spirit!

This message was last edited by the player at 18:44, Tue 02 July 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 509 posts
 W5 R1 B1
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:24
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Oops, sorry. Thanks for catching that Ezekiel. Demons impose a -4 penalty on Fear Tests, so yes, you’ll need to chip the roll in order to pass the test. Cooper’s roll was high enough to pass, even accounting for the -4.

The Payback card only applies to attack and damage rolls.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:29, Tue 02 July 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 188 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 05:56
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta stood at the doorway, ready to plug any of the dead heads that got too close to Bryan, but Ezekiel's sudden burst at the roof drew her attention.  As did the demonic creature that fell through the church's new sunroof.  "¡Estas loco, gringo!

Having already seen some of what McDaniels really was, she wasn't too shocked by his altered appearance, though she did consider him ugly as sin.  Her rifle swiveled to the imminent threat, ready to send the devil back to hell.


Fear: 4
Initiative: 9H


22:45, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 4,3 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  Fear.
22:47, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 9H using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Jim McDaniels
 NPC, 25 posts
 P7 T11
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 15:52
Re: IVB - Graveyard
”True enough,” the demon snarls. With a speed that belies its size, it slashes at the bounty hunter with its long talons.

10:25, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 4,0 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Fighting.

10:26, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 8,1 using 1d12+1,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Damage.

Total damage: 8

The attack will leave Wayland shaken.


Despite its seeming bravado, the creature makes no move to press its attack against the bounty hunter, instead lunging for the open front door, moving within a few paces of it, leaving in its wake smoking, black footprints burned into the sanctuary floor.

Marshal’s clarification: As the church is sanctified ground, every round that McDaniels remains inside it, he automatically absorbs a shaken condition that he has to roll/burn a chip on to overcome.

09:54, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 6,1 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Spirit.

For further clarity, Mc Daniels’ move leaves him positioned between the holy water basin and the front entrance, about five paces away from escaping the church. He’s also barreling straight toward Jacinta Castillo.

10:23, Today: Jim McDaniels drew the single card: 7H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 510 posts
 W5 R1 B1
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 15:53
Re: IVB - Graveyard
09:35, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, drew the single card: 2C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

AS - Jim McDaniels
AH - Albert Cooper
9H - Jacinta Castillo
9H - The Dead
8H - Aileen Kearney
6S - Lena Bauer
6C - Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
2S - Bryan Lee
2C - Tamsin River

Mr. Cooper, your turn.

Albert Cooper
 player, 299 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Well, there was nothing for it. Just gotta point and shoot, right? Hard to miss a creature that big. Albert spun his gun on his finger and blue energy again played across his knuckles a moment before he shot his specially etched bullet.

OOC: Albert succeeds in activating Smite (with a 5). Just the normal +2, though. He got a 9 to hit (presuming Marksman is in play) which should provide a raise.
29 damage (magical).

If for some reason 9 is not a raise, it would be 27 damage instead. The bullet is AP 1. It has Smite on it.

Remaining PP 3/10.

Init: 7C

12:34, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 29 using 4d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of (6+5)11,(6+3)9,4,2.  Damage (LFB, Smite, Raise).

12:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Shooting.

12:31, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 3,5 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Hexslinger (Smite).

12:37, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 7C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 512 posts
 W5 R0 B0
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 21:28
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s shot inflicts 4 wounds on the demon, as well as leaving it shaken.

It will try to soak that.

15:10, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 8,8 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 9,(6+3)9.  Soak Roll.

15:11, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Red Chip - Soak Roll.

15:12, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Blue Chip - Soak Roll.

That’s a total of four successes, which will soak all the wounds. Since all of the wounds were soaked, the shaken condition is removed as well.

Good news is, it cost all the red and blue chips I had on hand to get there.

Initiative Order

AS - Jim McDaniels
AH - Albert Cooper

9H - Jacinta Castillo
9H - The Dead
8H - Aileen Kearney
6S - Lena Bauer
6C - Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
2S - Bryan Lee
2C - Tamsin River

You’re next, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 189 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 00:44
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jactina held her ground, jerking the lever of her rifle to load up Albert's magic bullet.  "¡El poder de Cristo le obliga!" she yelled at McDaniels just before she pulled the trigger.



Shooting: 5 (w/ Blue Chip)
Damage: 12 (LFB)
Initiative: QS

In effect:  Jacinta's blessed with holy water


15:32, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 1,3 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Shooting.
17:31, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Blue Chip.
17:33, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 12 using 3d8, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5,6.  Damage.
17:35, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: QS using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

The Dead
 NPC, 5 posts
 P5 T7
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
The walking corpses gathered at the front of the iglesia crowd around Lee, attacking the lawman greedily with their grimy claws.

09:57, Today: The Dead rolled 5 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Fighting.

09:57, Today: The Dead rolled 8 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Fighting.
09:57, Today: The Dead rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Damage.

09:58, Today: The Dead rolled 6 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.

09:58, Today: The Dead rolled 9 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Fighting.
09:59, Today: The Dead rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Damage.

09:59, Today: The Dead rolled 14 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of (6+4)10.  Fighting.
10:01, Today: The Dead rolled 12 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8,4.  Damage.

10:02, Today: The Dead rolled 9 using 1d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Fighting.
10:02, Today: The Dead rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Damage.


Although several of the deaders manage to claw at the ranger, only one of their attacks, a deep slash across the abdomen, appears to cause him real harm,

The Ranger responds with a flurry of hand strikes and kicks, sending one of the corpses sprawling backwards out of the group, and decapitating another. Some of the other gathered dead are buffeted by the rapid series of blows, but continue to press their attacks against Lee.

10:03, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 13 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10.  Damage Field.
10:03, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 9 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Damage Field.
10:03, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 4 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2.  Damage Field.
10:04, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 6 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,2.  Damage Field.

Lee dispatches one of the deaders and leaves another of the zombies shaken.

One of the zombies manages to claw the Ranger viciously, leaving him shaken with 1 wound. Lee, of course, may make a soak roll.


The deader that Kearney shot appears to recover from the injury enough to resume its advance. The other walking corpse draws close enough to take a swipe at the mustanger with its claws, but she agilely dodges the blow.

10:27, Today: The Dead rolled 9 using 1d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of (4+3)7.  Spirit.

10:29, Today: The Dead rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Fighting.


On the other side of the church, one of the zombies closes with Bauer, reaching for the deputy with a clawed hand that she is able to duck.

10:31, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.

10:34, Today: The Dead drew the single card: KS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 39 posts
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney manages to shove the barrel of her carbine under the chin of the deader that attacked her, blasting its brains out through the top of its head.

10:35, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 13,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,3.  Shooting.

10:36, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 5,9 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1,(6+3)9.  Damage.

10:38, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 62 posts
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:46
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer swings her shotgun at the creature attacking her, pulling the trigger as she tries to back away. The blast tears a chunk from the deader’s leg, causing it to lurch unsteadily to one side.

10:40, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Shooting.

10:41, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 7 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3,1.  Damage.

The zombie is shaken.

10:44, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 513 posts
 W5 R0 B0
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:49
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Castillo’s shot creases the demon’s exposed skull, cutting a groove and taking with it a spray of bone chips. The bullet causes the monster to visibly stagger, its rapid pace slowed.

McDaniels is shaken by the shot.

Initiative Order

AS - Jim McDaniels
AH - Albert Cooper
9H - Jacinta Castillo
9H - The Dead
8H - Aileen Kearney
6S - Lena Bauer

6C - Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
2S - Bryan Lee
2C - Tamsin River

Dr. Wayland, the floor is yours.

Bryan Lee
 player, 300 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 19:00
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Spending a Red chip to soak.

Vigor: 17

Damn...I almost wish he had gotten more wounded haha!

11:18, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,17 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+6+5)17.  Vigor to Soak.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 55 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L0
Sun 7 Jul 2019
at 23:18
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland did his best to jump back from the slash of the demon's talons.  Not quite quick enough, they caught at his yellow waistcoat and dragged furrows across it.  But there was something much stronger than silk beneath that outer layer.  The force of it still knocked him off balance for a moment, but the Doctor quickly regained his footing.  He skidded around to a better angle on McDaniels, bringing up the voltaic emitter.  The trigger was squeezed.  The chapel was again filled with blinding, crackling light and thunder.

Recover from Shaken - 5 (Deluxe says Act Normally?  If that is not the rule here, I will toss a White Chip.)

Doc is going to circle slightly to the side so his blast will go through McDaniels and not through any allies.

Burst! McDaniels gets an Agility vs. 12 or takes....16 (25 if the Raise sticks)

Bryan Lee
 player, 301 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 12:52
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bryan's outwardly calm demeanor and his perpetually holstered sidearm might have seemed to some a peculiar but fitting reflection of the expectation that a Texas Ranger would be a steely eyed gunslinger. His willingness to talk and negotiate through even the most preposterous situations, and the almost uncaring grace with which he moved might even have seemed lazy. Those who hadn't seen him in a fight would be surprised by what came next as he took a near leap out the door, landing him square in front of a pack full of the walking dead.

Beckoning them to come closer, he waited while they did, ready to strike back at them defensively and fend off their attacks while luring them into striking distance so that he could dispatch a number of them. A slash came at him from one, blocked by an elbow. A second attack came for him, and he hobbled his attacker by a decisive blow to the knee. Another series of attacks one after another came at him, each time catching only a hard forearm, though one did come a little too close for comfort, claws clearly drawing blood from his arm - though he had pulled back just enough that it was only a scrape - returning a punch to another that took out its throat entirely, dispatching it.

What came next was a torrent of motion, the reserved energy of a spring unleashed. Stances that he had learned that had passed down from his ancestors since before the destruction of the Shaolin Temple blended seamlessly with new forms adapted by their descendants in the Great Maze generations later. Before they could regain their balance, two quick strikes decapitated one of them. Chupacabra Takes the Mark. His hand punched through rotting flesh and brittle bone, ripping the spine out of its chest until it snapped in half, sending it tumbling down so that he could take its skull out with his hand, which he then picked up and smashed into the skull of another, catching his balance as he waded through the dead by nearly flipping to one side, sending his leg up into the air, a snapping kick sending the head of yet another flying out into the press of undeath as he landed.

Where six had come to attack him, only one remained standing, hobbled from his earlier counterstrike.

OOC:

Bryan uses both of his actions from Quickness to strike out at the deaders surrounding him, for each using both his main attack and his extra attack from Superior Kung Fu: Wing Chun - and they are all Wild Attacks leaving him at Parry 4 until his next action. Damage includes his base strength, his Martial Artist damage, the raise, the Wild Attack bonus, and the 2d6 from Damage Field.

Attacks: 10, 11, 11, 11 (all raises over the deaders' Parry of 5)
Damage: 34, 27, 19, 29

Initiative: 7D

He's attacking the four that have been unaffected by his Damage Field, which should handily dispatch them given the above numbers, and leave one Shaken deader near him.

Alternative Visual: https://gfycat.com/jaggedmasculineisopod

This message was last edited by the player at 12:53, Mon 08 July 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 515 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 18:15
Re: IVB - Graveyard
A fan of blue lightning illuminates the dim interior of the church like noon, catching the demonic monster in its blast. A howl of pain, an unearthly sound that evokes a terrible hollowness in the chests of all who hear it, rattles the walls of the iglesia. The remainder of the electrical energy spears into the corner of the adobe building, blowing a hole the size of a large door in it.

10:57, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 2,1 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Agility.

Yeah, that’s bad. McDaniels will burn a white chip for a reroll.

10:58, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 5,0 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Agility - White Chip Reroll.

Marginally better. Certainly nowhere near what he needs to avoid injury.

That will hit with a raise. Since McDaniels was already shaken, every success is worth a wound. Which means the demon takes 4 wounds.

Naturally, he’ll attempt to soak.

12:29, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 7,3 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

12:29, Today: Jim McDaniels rolled 1,2 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Soak Roll - Second Attempt.

Two white chips later, he’s still left with a fatal number of wounds.

The demon dies.


The creature collapses in a heap a few paces away from Castillo’s feet. It’s voice, now little more than an animal gurgle, manages a few words. ”Still..my town. You should...stay...for a bit.”

A moment passes and the monster’s body slowly transmutes to thick, black smoke, which is pulled down into the earth with sudden force, leaving no trace of the demon’s presence.

Outside, giving none of the wandering corpses a moment to respond, Lee destroys each of them with frightening, machine like precision. The lawman abruptly finds himself alone in front of the abandoned church, with no more of the restless dead in his vicinity.

To the left and right of the church, Kearney and Bauer prepare to keep firing at their undead attackers, only to watch them collapse to the street, leaving only rags, filthy bones, and a thick, tar like liquid on the ground where they stood.

OOC: Combat over.

Above, the sky darkens. Clouds the color of charcoal roll across the sky like an angry sea. In Angus, a chorus of tortured howls echo through the vacant streets; the voices, which seem to have no source, weighted with the very essence of torment.

Those within the church see the color fade from the adobe walls, deep fissures forming in the now ancient iglesia. Outside, those still in the street can see each of buildings erode before their eyes, the now gray timbers of some of the wooden structures buckling beneath the progressing decay, a few crumbling with a weak crash.

The wind, strong and steady, is ice cold.
Bryan Lee
 player, 303 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 20:38
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Lee coughed, having accidentally inhaled some of the powdered debris from the crumbling, decaying buildings around them as they collapsed, moving quickly to cover his mouth as he stood there panting from the exertion as he looked on the others. He surveyed the others, and none of them seemed to be badly hurt in any way.

He took a few more steps in their direction.

"I owe Reverend Benton a debt of gratitude," he said. Without the sanctuary and the respite it had provided for them to make a more tactical attack on McDaniels, they might have succumbed to the press of undeath and a more frontal assault by the demon that could very well have pressed them to a much more lethal outcome.

"Well, it looks like McDaniels won't be botherin' anybody any more. I don't fancy spendin' much more time here. We should head back to Lincoln soon here, I think. Doc, you get enough o' that fella to collect the bounty?"
Albert Cooper
 player, 300 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 02:55
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded and glanced over at Bauer before looking back at Bryan. "We prolly all owe him our lives, Ranger."

Albert took a sniff of the air and gave Bryan a noncommital look. "Seems McDaniels might be no more. Not gonna count on it, though."

OOC: Occult of 9. What does Albert think about how the demon was dispatched? Going to stay dead? Or haunt our dreams and footsteps?

19:50, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 9,4 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (4+4+1)9,4.  Occult (will that demon stay dead?).


He looked around at the other disappearing bodies and imagined all the souls finally being freed from their shackles. "Unless I miss my guess, only thing left o' that fella's gonna be black liquid and some unidentifiable bones. Though I hope I'm wrong - bounty'd be nice ta collect."

Albert than looked around at the faces of the gathered posse. "Everyone okay?" His attention had certainly been on the demon, not on whether anyone else had gotten hurt.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 63 posts
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 19:09
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer slings her shotgun and climbs back through the window. Her face somber, she makes her way over to Reverend Benton’s body and, stooping down, picks the fallen pastor up. ”I’m gonna take him back home to Lincoln,” she explains, ”See if Father Narvaez and Ike Ellis can give him a proper burial. It’s the very least I can do.”
Marshal
 GM, 517 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 19:09
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Outside, the howls and cries of the disembodied voices grow louder, the cold wind growing in strength, becoming powerful enough to pull loose timbers from some of the collapsing buildings and hurl them through the empty streets. Dust begins to fill the air in a hazy swirl.

”Hey ya’ll,” Kearney calls from outside, ”I think we might need gather our particulars and get out of here. Fast.”

Above, the sky darkens further, bringing what seems like a sudden nightfall to the ghost town.

Within the church, the walls continue to turn bone white. In spots, the earthen material begins to crack and crumble.
Bryan Lee
 player, 304 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 01:23
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Not a bad, idea," he said, moving to help Bauer with the Benton's corpse before they high tailed it out of there.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 190 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 06:07
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta had the same mind as Bryan and moved to help the deputy with the preacher's body, but Lee got there first.  Instead, she made sure that the books the preacher had in his possession were collected (if they hadn't been already) and then hightailed it out of the crumbling church.  In the street, she held a hand to her hat against the wind that had started to blow.

"Damned demon!  Trying to kill us even after he's gone!"  Slinging her rifle over her shoulder, she headed for the fastest route out of the decaying town.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 56 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L0
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 08:54
Re: IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland had gotten a bit distracted by his gizmo after that last blast.  Upon "McDaniels" fall, he took the opportunity to correct a few things.  Loose wires.  A shifty looking alignment screw.  It was just a moment or two, long enough to have missed out on a few things. The increasing howling seemed to bring him back though, "Hmm?  Bounty?  Ah think we may be out of luck...theah..."  He trailed off noticing the fading and crumbling as though for the first time, "Oh!  Yes...  Leave.  Posthaste indeed.  Discuss the money latah!"  If there was a way to assist, Wayland would.  If not, he'd make sure he didn't lose anything himself and take a rearguard position for the group as they went.  He muttered something...but it was mostly lost to the wind....
Marshal
 GM, 518 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 17:32
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney collects her and Winters’ horse’s, making certain that the herbalist is safely mounted, before wheeling her own stallion back to the front of the crumbling iglesia, seeking to provide some cover from the powerful wind for those on foot. Castillo leads the way out, holding the books that were gathered from the church protectively against her chest. Lee and Bauer follow, bearing the body of Thomas Benton, while Dr. Wayland and Cooper bring up the rear.

The dust continues to swirl violently, partially obscuring some of the rapidly decaying buildings in the north end of the ghost town. Within the blowing dirt, figures become visible, their outlines made plain by the sudden windstorm. They make no move to interfere with the group that is leaving, merely standing stock still, watching the living pass like attendees at a funeral procession.

Moving with all of the haste they can muster, the group makes their way up the slope to the edge of the valley, the howls of the wind and anguished spirits filling their ears. Behind them, they can hear the crash of buildings collapsing and see small pieces of lumber sail past, splintering as they smash into the dense forest ahead. Reaching their waiting horses, some of whom have grown agitated by the storm, the group members are finally able to look back, seeing that the circling windstorm is slowly beginning to lose force.

Minutes pass and the upturned dust becomes a weak haze as the wind stills. Angus, for the most part, is gone. Only small traces remain of the community that made its home in the valley; broken timbers reaching up from the hard soil, broken remnants of an adobe floor. But they are few and far between. For the most part, all that is left behind of the once thriving town is memory.
Albert Cooper
 player, 301 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 18:29
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded at the suggestion they get while the getting was good. He did bring up the rear, though whether it's because he was being gentlemanly or just a slowpoke was hard to discern.

Once they got out of town, he tried to brush off the worst of the dust and dirt. After a bit of work, it at least looked a little better. But it was far from perfect. "I need a bath."

The normally jovial cowboy forced a half smile as he looked around. "Well done back there, folks. Ain't easy ta go toe-ta-toe with a demon like that. But y'all acquitted yerself quite well. An' that makes me glad ta be in yer company."

The cowboy turned his gaze toward Brandy and ran a comforting hand along the horses flank. He looked around to see how many people and horses there were to see if Brandy would get to have a second rider. He did add a little knowledge to the pot. "Based on what I know of those things...it'll be decades 'fore that same spirit'll have a chance ta haunt the livin' world again."
Bryan Lee
 player, 305 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 04:38
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Indeed. I'd greatly appreciate it if everyone could remain quiet about what's taken place here today. Not forever, just until this situation blows over. For one, I think it'd be best if Murphy and Dolan were to just kinda sit there wonderin' about what happened to ol' Jim McDaniels, and frettin' on losin' some of their best muscle. But also, if they find out who was involved here, they might strike out when we're not together. And if they got more like McDaniels who can do whatever the hell he was doin'...well, we best be together for those sorts of confrontations."

Partially, he wished that they were all demons, that way he wouldn't be obligated under the law to bring them in for trial. He could just get Cooper to make a whole passel of those bullets so that they could poke holes in them and get Wayland and his lightning gun and fry the bastards back to the hell where they came from. By the time it was done, though, he had no doubt that Murphy and Dolan would be in the hell where they belonged. He'd been in the business long enough to know that those two didn't seem the type to go quietly.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 57 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L0
Sat 13 Jul 2019
at 05:29
Re: IVB - Graveyard

Dr. Wayland watched the town crumble away from the safe distance they had reached with bright curiosity, "Entropy.....decay.....center cannot hold.... gyre....gyre.....  Time....  Acceleration.... Can time /be/ accelerated..."  Cooper's words snapped him out of his reverie again, he turned about to join in the conversation with the group....rather than just speaking rudely to himself.  He smiled good-naturedly, first to Cooper, then to Lee, "I will, of course, be discreet, sah.  Though, if you...and perhaps the deputy there...would be willing to sweah out some statements confirming Mr. Stanton's expiahed status, my agent should be able to claim the bounty.  The greatah details of the situation don't need to be included."  To the group in general, he added, "I would be happy to advance anyone's shaeh in ready cash, should it be needed soonah.  It is the least I can do.  I do believe if you all had not come along, I would number myself amongst the restless dead of Angus."  He then paused, returning his attention more specifically to Lee, "Do I understand that my sehvices might be useful to yet more endeahvahs hereabouts?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 306 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R2 B2 L0
Sat 13 Jul 2019
at 18:47
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"I'll be glad to provide a written affidavit confirming the demise of Mr. Stanton once we're back in Lincoln. If the bounty is from Texas, we might be able to collect it from the Ranger Battalion in Santa Fe. I don't know who the rancher is that matched what Texas offered, but I'd be happy to attempt to impress upon them the key fact in the matter. Of course, I won't be able to get out of Lincoln until the situation here is resolved. If you can stick around until all that is over, I'll help you collect these bounties - and your skills would prove handy to have on hand in the interim."

He'd definitely like to have Wayland on hand in case there was more of this demonic type activity around Lincoln. He didn't know what had gone down in the Capitan Mountains, but the fella would probably be handy when he headed over that way as well.

"I can explain the particulars of the situation as we ride back, just so you know what you'd be getting into if you should choose to stick around."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 191 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 08:06
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta tucked the books into her saddlebags and swung up onto her horse, settling into the saddle.  She looked down the slope into the town and shook her head at the state of the place, hoping that the destruction had freed the lost souls that had been trapped there.  They were damned lucky not to have been added to their number, in her opinion.  She crossed herself at the thought.

Turning her horse away, she waited for the others to make ready to leave, leaning on the pommel of her saddle.  Her attention shifted to Ezekiel.  "I don't know too much 'bout that contraption you're carrying, but if it can blast a demon back to hell, then you're more than welcome to come along.  I'm sure there'll be one or two more of them that'll need the same treatment.  You got a horse?  Or do you need a ride?"
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 64 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 18:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
The deputy gives a sigh of relief at Cooper’s revelation. ”Good to hear. If’n I never see another of those things, it’ll be too soon.” Carefully, she makes certain that the Reverend’s body is secured on her horse.

”I’ll sure write out an affidavit for ya, Doc,” Bauer tells the bounty hunter, ”We were lucky to have you here. Things might’ve turned out a lot different if you hadn’t been along.”

Climbing into the saddle, she approaches Castillo. ”You don’t mind, I’d like to take a look at those books along with you, once we’re back in Lincoln. I got a feelin’ whatever’s in ‘em might prove important.”
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 40 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 18:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
”I’m kind of eager to put this town behind me. Miz Winter and I, we used a shortcut through the pine forest, tryin’ to get here quick. Ya’ll don’t mind me takin’ the lead when everyone’s ready, I can lead us back the same way,” Kearney offers.
Albert Cooper
 player, 302 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L0
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 01:44
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded at the Deputy's apparent relief. He also noted her suggestion that putting a couple heads together concerning the books would do better than one. "I wouldn't mind lookin' at them books, neither."

Seemed like a good excuse to spend a little more time with Jacinta, at any rate.

"Everyone ready and gotta ride? If so, shortcut sounds good."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 192 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 06:19
Re: IVB - Graveyard
She tipped her hat at Bauer.  "Figured as much, myself.  Reckoned the preacher got hold of some of the town's dirty little secrets and got himself killed on account."

She turned her horse to follow Aileen, though did spare a sidelong glance at Albert.  "Thanks for the bullet, Coop.  Drilled 'em hard enough to stop 'em in his tracks."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 58 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L0
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 14:25
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Wayland's mule was still there with the other horses, rigged with what looked like a miner's pack saddle.  In answer to Castillo, he said, "I have a mule.  Which is similar in many respects.  And superiah in many othahs."  He began dismantling the pack saddle, which turned out to be little more than an arrangement of air bladders, cloth covers, and a foldable internal framework.  No more real than the prospector mask he wore in the initial meeting.

As to Lee and the Deputy offering their written assistance, the Doctor confirms that he is, "Much obliged."  As to the idea that he and his invention were helpful in the confrontation, he noted, "I am happy I was able to provide such assistance.  And if there are more such, I am quite willing to assist in any further..."treatments.""

Beneath the false pack frame, the mule has a regular riding saddle and a pair of over large saddle bags.  The fakery is stowed away and his lightning gun is secured.  He then climbs into the saddle with all the grace and skill of a scientist. The mule remains solidly patient and long-suffering throughout.  Settled, he affirms, "I am quite ready."
Marshal
 GM, 522 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Wed 17 Jul 2019
at 04:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Bauer nods in agreement with Castillo’s assessment. ”Thank you,” the deputy tells her, ”I’m obliged.” She gives the scout a long, thoughtful look, then falls in line with the rest of the riders.

”Don’t worry, Doctor, we won’t take it too fast,” Kearney assures the inventor. Taking the lead, the mustanger heads eastward through a narrow gap in the dense forest. The whisper of pine needles follows the group as they ride beneath the tall canopy and soon, along with the deep blue of early dusk, the buildings comprising Lincoln’s Main Street come into view.

In Angus, the dust settles, the restless dead now finally silent.