IVB - Graveyard.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 176 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 16:23
IVB - Graveyard

Notice: 5 (or 7 if avoiding surprise attack)

09:20, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 5,4 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Notice.

Tamsin River
 player, 154 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 17:59
IVB - Graveyard
10:58, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 479 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:02
IVB - Graveyard
As though alive, the crackling bolt from Dr. Wayland’s gun seeks out the pair of walking corpses, the scent of burnt flesh momentarily strong in the abandoned street. Both of the walking dead begin to spasm violently from the electrical attack, their bodies shaking as though they were caught in the midst of a sudden earthquake.

Then they explode.

Cooper and Wayland are showered in a variety of necrotizing offal. A length of intestine lands around Cooper’s shoulders like a boa, or a long scarf. A skull, now charred and fleshless, flies over the two men’s heads and into the door behind them, prompting a exclamation of surprise from Bauer. From where the zombies stood, only a pair of mouldering work boots remain, the sole of one of them on fire. The sandy soil is blackened and the scent of ozone contends with the reek of decay in the hazy air in front of the tienda.
The Dead
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:03
IVB - Graveyard
The lone corpse that remains close to Castillo and Lee continues to rock back and forth, its injury apparently having rendered it momentarily defenseless. It takes no hostile action, only groaning softly.

10:20, Today: The Dead rolled 3 using 1d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Spirit.

The zombie remains shaken.


Around the western corner of the tienda, Cooper and Dr. Wayland see four more animated corpses step into view. The first of the group groans as it sights the two men.

East of their position, Castillo and Lee can see numerous zombies emerging from the shadowy streets. Some are walking aimlessly, but several, those closest to the ranger and scout, become more animated as they perceive the presence of living creatures, three or four of them moaning loudly as they begin walking toward the pair.

12:28, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.
Marshal
 GM, 480 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:04
IVB - Graveyard
12:28, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Tamsin River and Aileen Kearney emerge from the woods west of Angus, descending the slope of the small valley on horseback. The sound of gunfire as they drew near had warned the women of danger, but neither were fully prepared to find the corpses of dead men and women walking the streets, like sleepy predators waiting for prey to appear. Several stir at the arrival of the herbalist and mustanger, turning toward them at the sound of horse’s hooves.

12:40, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 1,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.



(The mapping program I was using previously wasn’t being cooperative. I hope this is usable for everyone.)

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Note: Unlike in Deadlands Classic (or George Romero films), these deaders don’t require a head shot to be killed. Called shots to the head do additional damage (+4), but aren’t necessary to put them down.

For reference, the deaders have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. Their Pace is 4.


Miss River, it’s your turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:00, Wed 05 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 481 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 20:21
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: I’m to treat Tamsin River as though she is holding her action, which will allow her to act later in the round if she chooses.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Jacinta, you’re up!

Bryan Lee
 player, 282 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 21:18
IVB - Graveyard
"Let's all get over to that Church!" he called out loud, hoping that Cooper, Bauer, and Wayland would hear him from wherever they were. He didn't know whether Jacinta had noticed or not, but he pointed a finger in that direction.

OOC:

Some talking as a free action.

Also, hot damn, no one drew over an 8!

This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Thu 06 June 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 177 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 07:24
IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta plugged another round into the zombiefied zombie, then broke into a run.  She passed Bryan and rounded the building, spotting the group at the tienda"Y'all hear 'em?!  Get to the church!  They ain't going near it."  Despite the chaos, she did a double take at Albert's new scarf.


Shooting: 7
Damage: 9
Initiative: AC


00:15, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 7,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Shooting.
00:15, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 3,6.  Damage.
00:16, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: AC using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 482 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 14:52
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo’s shot finds the temple of the wounded dead man, the rifle shot hollowing out his skull. Without another sound, the reanimated corpse topples, falling to the street in a heap.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 57 posts
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 14:53
IVB - Graveyard
Bauer appears in the front doorway of the tienda, behind Cooper and Dr. Wayland. She immediately gags. ”Good Lord! What happened out here?” she asks. ”Smells like something awful just came out of the south end of a northbound steer.”

Sighting the walking corpses advancing around the corner, she fires at the zombie in the lead, dropping it with a bullet to the forehead.

09:12, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 10,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+2)10,3.  Shooting.

09:12, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 14,1 using 2d6+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10,1.  Damage.

09:26, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 5S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer

6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Your turn, Ranger.

Bryan Lee
 player, 283 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 16:22
IVB - Graveyard
Bryan took off (bravely) running, as fast as his feet could carry him, hoping that they could make their stand at the Church.

OOC:

Bryan's gonna make for the Church so they can make their stand there. It looks like there's a clear path up and over for him to make it there. Taken his base Pace of 6" and his running roll below, he could be able to scramble 16"; if that's a square an inch, then he can get all the way there, and if not, I'll take what I can get.

He would probably stay just outside the door, leaving a clear path inside and being there to help anyone that got close but was having trouble.

11:13, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+4)10.  Running.

11:20, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.


Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 31 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
Kearney frowns as she hears Lee and Castillo’s voices urging others to head for the church. Spying Lee through the tangle of empty buildings, the mustanger tells River, ”C’mon! Follow me! Sounds like your friends have found a safe place to hole up!”

She urges her mount northward, snapping a shot at the first of the walking dead in her path, blasting the top of its head off.

17:02, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 9,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,3.  Shooting.

17:13, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 12,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,7,1.  Damage.

17:21, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

The Dead
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
At the tienda, two of the walking corpses swipe at Bauer and Cooper with their dirty claws. Both, however, are too quick for the dead, and manage to avoid the creatures’ attacks handily.

17:29, Today: The Dead rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Fighting.

17:29, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


The last of the group of corpses at the vacant store stumbles around its fellows, seeking Dr. Wayland with arms extended, but it is not quick enough to reach the bounty hunter with its unsteady gait.

Another of the dead men blocking Kearney’s path lumbers toward her as she advances, trying to pull her down from her mount. The mustanger is able to wheel her horse to the left, narrowly avoiding the creature’s claws.

17:30, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.

As Castillo and Lee enter what once served as Angus’ town square, both can see several more corpses pressing into the open space from several directions. None are yet close enough to attack either the ranger or the scout, but they are moving as quickly as they can manage, seemingly eager to halt the pair’s progress.

The groans of the awakened dead fill the once silent streets of the ghost town.

17:49, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 484 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 22:57
IVB - Graveyard
Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead

3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
2H - Albert Cooper

Dr. Wayland, you’re next!

Marshal
 GM, 485 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 17:25
IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Doc, here’s an updated map that should help with your decision making. In theory, Wayland would likely be able to catch several of the zombies in the town square to the north, or those in the cluster to the east, in an area of effect blast.


Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 35 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 18:29
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland did not seem all that surprised by the disgustingly explosive effects of lightning.  He had done a number of previous field experiments after all.  The gun itself whirred and clicked, humming with regarthered electrical power.  To Bauer, he noted, "Lightning!  Supahheats the bodily fluids!"  The dead closed in, but he also noted Castillo and Lee sprinting past and hearing the call to rally.  It seemed a prudent idea, so he followed, "To the Chapel!"  Catching up to the scout, he leveled his lightning gun at the pair of swarming dead at the north end of the square.  He pulled the trigger, releasing more crackling, whipping arcs of electricity.

Move next to the left of Castillo

Lightning Burst at the two directly North.  3 vs. Agility.  8 Damage.  Lightning is random!

15:07, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: JS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative!



This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Tue 11 June 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 486 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 21:35
IVB - Graveyard
The emitter gives off a loud, unpleasant whine before releasing a single, blue bolt of lightning that spears the air between the doctor’s two targets, blasting the door off of the building behind them with a sound like a thunderclap, scorching the adobe around the doorway black. From inside the structure, chunks of burning wood scattered across the floor give off an orange glow.

The zombies sway as if startled by what has transpired, but they regain their bearings quickly, resuming their steady pursuit of the living.

Initiative Order

8S - Tamsin River - Holding
8H - Jacinta Castillo
8C - Lena Bauer
6D - Bryan Lee
6C - Aileen Kearney
4S - The Dead
3H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

2H - Albert Cooper

All yours, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 280 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 23:40
IVB - Graveyard
"Ain't leavin' without ya, Deputy." Albert made the statement while lining up a shot on one of the dedders directly in front of he and Lena. "But better if we stick with everyone else. Mebbe we ease on outta here soon?"

He squeezed the trigger almost nonchalantly. The thing was really hard to miss this close. Of course you still had to hit something important, though his bullets did have some extra magical oomph to them.

OOC: 6 to hit one of the dedders right in front of Bauer/Cooper (parry of 5). 20 damage.

10H for next init.

16:37, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 10H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

16:37, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 20 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+5)11.  Damage.

16:36, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting.

Marshal
 GM, 488 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 01:33
IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s well placed shot punches through the nearest deader’s chin, blasting a huge exit wound through the top of its head. The zombie staggers, then falls heavily onto its right side, a lifeless corpse once more.

”I truly ‘preciate it, Mr. Cooper,” Bauer replies, ”and I’m in full agreement. We need to make a run for that church.”

From his perch on the valley’s slope, Jim McDaniels silently watches the battle unfold with his unblinking, reptilian eyes.

Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
10H - Albert Cooper
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

Jacinta, you’re up!

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 178 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 02:02
IVB - Graveyard
"¡Dios mío!  What in the hell was that?!"  Jacinta exclaimed as lightening suddenly shout out of Ezekiel's contraption.  Not waiting for an answer, she continued to run for the church, eyes darting about the square in search of threats to avoid.


OOC: Using Jacinta's turn to run like hell for the church.

Running: 10 (6+4)
Initiative: AH


18:53, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Running.
17:47, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: AH using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Fri 14 June 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 38 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 08:16
IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland's smile faded a bit as the bolt of lightning missed the pair.  More annoying that it was a single bolt, rather than the whipping, staccato burst of arcs that it /should/ have been.  He continued after the scout, making a quick adjustment to a few wires in the battery array and answering her question, "Operatah errah, ma'am!  You have my apologies!"  He turned the last few steps, leveling the lightning gun again at the dead at the northern side of the square and, more carefully this time, squeezing the trigger....

Follow Castillo towards the chapel, but also to put Wayland in a position for the burst to catch the three on the northwest-ish of the square.  Incidentally part of the building is probably in it as well...

To Hit - 9 vs. Agi.  Damage 12!

04:14, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 10C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative Draw.
04:09, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 12 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Damage!
04:09, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 9,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,2.  Shooting - Burst!

Albert Cooper
 player, 281 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 17:39
IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Albert goes on hold, presumably until Bauer's turn in the initiative order. He may jump in before then if necessary, but don't expect him to move again until 5S.

Marshal
 GM, 489 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:28
IVB - Graveyard
Castillo races to the front entrance of the church, meeting Lee, who has beaten her there by a matter of seconds. The door to the iglesia is unlocked, the exterior of the structure in sound condition, showing only a slight degree of weathering from time and the elements.

Following close behind her, Dr. Wayland aims his emitter at a group of the undead and fires, unleashing a cone of snapping blue electricity toward them.

11:52, Today: The Dead rolled 2,5,2 using 1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,2.  Agility.

The blast reduces two of the zombies to a black, tar like liquid that splatters across the face of the adobe building behind them. The third creature literally bursts into flames, waving its arms helplessly for a moment before collapsing onto the street, the fire greedily consuming it.
The Dead
 NPC, 3 posts
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:28
IVB - Graveyard
Each of the corpses that are in front of the tienda focus on the living that remain there: Bauer and Cooper. They attack fiercely, but their movements are slow enough that their assaults are easily avoided.

20:59, Today: The Dead rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Fighting.

20:59, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


Two of the corpses entering the square pursue those fleeing toward it. One lashes out at Bryan Lee with its claws, but the ranger turns the attack away with ease, an almost unconscious act on his part. The other reaches for Castillo with skeletal hands, but grasps only air.

21:06, Today: The Dead rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Fighting.

21:07, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


Two more of the living dead try to block Kearney’s path to the church. Both claw at the mustanger, but Kearney manages to avoid harm.

21:12, Today: The Dead rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Fighting.

21:12, Today: The Dead rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fighting.


More of the corpses move toward the town square, like moths drawn to a flame, seemingly intent on preventing the living from taking shelter in the iglesia

21:21, Today: The Dead drew the single card: 3H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 490 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 02:30
IVB - Graveyard


Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

Tamsin, you’re next!

Bryan, since it’s doubtful that your action will affect River or Kearney immediately, you can also post when you’re ready.