IVB - Graveyard.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Tamsin River
 player, 155 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 15:03
IVB - Graveyard
[Posted by Marshal]

River urges her horse forward, following Aileen Kearney. Drawing her pistol, she takes aim at one of the deaders harassing the mustanger, squeezing off a shot that strikes it in the temple, blowing out its brains in a black spray, and sending it tumbling lifelessly to the street.

07:18, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, rolled 4,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting.

07:21, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, rolled 15 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+5)11,4.  Damage.

09:50, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 491 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 15:03
IVB - Graveyard
Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River

6D - Bryan Lee - Holding
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney

I’m going to treat Lee as though he is holding. If he hasn’t taken an action by the end of the round, I will act for him.

Mr. Cooper, Deputy Bauer is inclined to follow your lead with regard to escaping the dead, so you can take your action now, if you’re so inclined.

Bryan Lee
 player, 284 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 16:13
IVB - Graveyard
As the deaders came in close, Bryan sprung into action, especially seeing that one was dogging Jacinta's heels. First, however, he had to take on the one that was on him if he didn't want to turn into chop suey himself.

He slammed a fist into it, and saw the dead man crumple from the bone shattering impact. Spinning about, he closed with Jacinta’s attacker with a few rapid steps, caving in the creature’s rib cage with another well aimed blow. It fell, leaving the entrance to the church, for the moment, clear of enemies.


OOC:

Fighting: 9
Wing Chun: 9 ,
Damage: 29
Damage (Wing Chun): 12

11:07, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 29 using d6+d4+d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1,(6+6+6+5)23.  Wing Chun Damage (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender, Raise).
11:07, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 12 using d6+d4+d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2,3.  Damage (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender, Raise).
11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 6,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
11:00, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).

11:13, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:28, Thu 13 June 2019.

Albert Cooper
 player, 282 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 17:31
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Marshal:

Mr. Cooper, Deputy Bauer is inclined to follow your lead with regard to escaping the dead, so you can take your action now, if you’re so inclined.


OOC: You can correct my understanding of the tactical situation, but it looks like Bauer only has one dedder adjacent to her rather than the two next to Cooper. Better if she kills the one next to her and moves and then he follows. That way we avoid extra attacks as we disengage.

Albert lined up his next shot. "Head ta the church, Deputy. I'm right behind you."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:32, Thu 13 June 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 58 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
“Ugly bastards,” the deputy snarls, widening her stance on the store’s front step. Slamming the hammer of her pistol with her open palm, she sends several shots slicing toward the undead attackers.

Fanning the hammer.

12:48, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 3,5,19,4,4,6 using 1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d8-2,1d6-2, rerolling max ((5,7,(8+8+5)21,6,6,(6+2)8)). Shooting. (Hip Shooting Edge)

One miss.

13:09, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 7,10,11,7 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1, rerolling max ((3,3,5,4,5,5,2,4)).

14:06, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Damage - Raise.

Total Damage (First Zombie): 7, 15

Total Damage (Second Zombie): 11, 7


Both corpses crumple under the sudden burst of gunfire. Bauer starts running toward the square, moving as fast as she can manage. ”C’mon! Let’s get to that church!” she urges.

13:18, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: JD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative .
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 32 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney shifts her aim toward the remaining deader and fires, the carbine’s blast removing most of the corpse’s face.

13:29, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 6,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Shooting.

13:29, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 13 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 6,7.  Damage.

14:28, Today: Aileen Kearney drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 492 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 19:39
Re: IVB - Graveyard


Initiative Order

AC - Jacinta Castillo
JS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10H - Albert Cooper - Holding
10D - The Dead
8S - Tamsin River
6D - Bryan Lee
5S - Lena Bauer
2D - Aileen Kearney


Mr. Cooper, you can take your action before we shift to a new round.

Albert Cooper
 player, 283 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 21:06
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert nodded appreciatively at the quick clearing of the nearest walking corpses. "Nice shootin', ma'am."

He then moved toward the town square where everyone else seemed to be gathering and squeezed off a shot at one of the reanimated, appreciating his own good marksmanship when the bullet struck true.

OOC: Albert moves 5 squares northeast. He will shoot the enemy that is at the northwest edge of the central square.

10 to hit.
14 damage (including raise - bullet is magical if it matters as Smite is still active)

AS for init.

14:00, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

14:00, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 14 using 3d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2,4.  Damage (including raise).

13:59, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 9,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+1)9,(6+4)10.  Shooting.

Marshal
 GM, 494 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 18:14
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s well placed shot strikes the corpse just a few paces north of Bryan Lee, the bullet destroying the creature’s head, reducing it to an unidentifiable ruin. The deader drops to the street without a sound.

Castillo pushes the door to the iglesia open. She and Lena Bauer proceed inside. A moment later, Aileen Kearney and Tamsin River wheel around the corner of the church on their mounts. Hastily hitching the horses, the pair join the scout and the deputy inside. Lee remains at the door, while Cooper and Dr. Wayland cover the rest of the group’s entrance into the building.

Cooper had already skillfully dispatched one one of the walking corpses north of the ghost town’s square, but the two that remain advance several steps. Inexplicably, they halt several paces away from the church. They continue to make gurgling snarls, clearly still aggressive toward the living, but are seemingly unwilling, or unable to continue their pursuit. From other quadrants of Angus, the sounds of the shuffling dead can still be heard clearly.

Inside, the small church is notably intact, free of dust, its furnishings undamaged. A few steps away from the entrance is a small basin on a pedestal, the bowl filled with clear water. A central aisle is flanked by five rows of short pews on each side, the benches carved from polished pine. An altar occupies the far end of the iglesia. It is covered with a white cloth and atop it are a silver cross, a plate, a cup, and a glass bottle that appears to be filled with red wine. Beside the bottle is a leather bound book, presumably a Bible.

Behind the altar, to the right, is a single wooden door, which is closed.

Seated at the far end of the front, left hand pew, leaning against the wall, is a thin man with wavy blonde hair. His eyes are closed and he does not stir or acknowledge the presence of the newcomers as they enter. His black shirt and white collar identify him as a minister. With both arms, he is clutching a book to his chest.

Bauer’s eyes widen and she takes a hesitant step toward the center aisle. ”Reverend Benton?” she asks quietly.

The man gives no response.

OOC: Mr. Cooper, Dr. Wayland, if either of you want to take a shot at the nearby deaders, feel free.

Also, could everyone who is still at the church’s entrance (Cooper, Lee, Wayland), provide me with a notice roll?

Albert Cooper
 player, 285 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 18:29
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert sends zed back to the ground as he moves the last few steps toward the church.

OOC: 12 damage. Take that, zombie!

11:25, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 12 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Damage.

11:25, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.  Departing shot.


After he made it inside, he paused and breathed heavily for a few moments before his head snapped up at Bauer's exclamation. He started to reload his gun as he moved closer to one of the windows to peer outside, though he was quite curious about what the reverend had to say.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 40 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 04:12
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland backed into the church after the others, keeping his humming weapon leveled at the swarming dead.  He recognized that, for whatever reason, they were not encroaching further.  So, he opted to keep the lightning in the bottle, so to speak.  Though he did not fault Cooper a parting shot and gave said shot an approving nod.

Staying by the door, the bounty hunter set about checking over his weapon with practiced ease and began rewinding the clockworks.  Though long habit of dangerous work kept a measure of attention out the door at the enemies without...

00:10, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2,5 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5. Notice!
Bryan Lee
 player, 286 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 05:20
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC:

Notice: 16

00:17, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,16 using d6,d6, rerolling max (((6+4)10,(6+6+4)16)).

Albert Cooper
 player, 286 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 05:23
Re: IVB - Graveyard
OOC: Albert’s Notice is 9.

22:22, Yesterday: Albert Cooper rolled 7,9 using D6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7,(6+3)9.  Notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:33, Sun 16 June 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 179 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Sun 16 Jun 2019
at 06:33
Re: IVB - Graveyard
As soon as Jacinta was in and safe from the snarling corpses, she took a breath and threw a glance about for any dangers within.  Pausing by the font, she dipped her fingers into the blessed water and made the sign of the cross while murmuring a soft prayer to herself.  With the religious necessities seen to, she immediately began reloading her rifle with rounds from her belt, sliding them into the side loading port as she paced the length of the church.  She threw the praying minister a glance, but as he wasn't familiar to her and not an immediate threat, she didn't interrupt his silent worship.  Instead, she moved around the altar to the closed door and tried the knob to see if it would open.  Investigate possible threats first.  Relax later.
Marshal
 GM, 495 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 17:59
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Cooper’s parting shot rends one of the corpse’s left shoulder and arm free from the rest of its decaying body. The undead creature staggers backward from the impact, then literally falls apart, pieces of it tumbling to the ground.

Castillo opens the door at the rear of the humble sanctuary, finding that a small office waits on the other side of it, undoubtedly once belonging to the priest who served here. A chair and a small couch occupy one end of the narrow space, while a desk and a small cot, the latter covered with an Indian blanket, take up the other. A number of papers sit scattered haphazardly atop the desktop, a pair of worn books stacked on one corner.

But it is not the furnishings that seize the scout’s attention, but rather the walls. Crosses of varying sizes hang on all four walls, some ornate and meticulously crafted, other homemade, carved from wood by a whittler’s hand. Sweeping the room with her gaze, Castillo estimates that there are around fifty crosses mounted within the office.

In a space directly above the desk, block letters have been painted neatly in black. They read: 2 Cor 11: 14.

Bauer approaches the motionless form of Thomas Benton. ”Reverend?”, she asks again, only a few steps away from him, but as before, he gives no answer. Reaching out, she touches his neck with two of her fingers. After a moment, her expression darkens and she sinks onto the pew beside him. ”Damn,” she mutters.
Albert Cooper
 player, 287 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B1 L0
Mon 17 Jun 2019
at 20:10
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Albert squinted at what he saw in the distance but didn't discuss it with anyone yet. Instead he turned from the windows toward the reverend and deputy. A few strides brought Albert right next to Bauer. "Damn is right. Sorry ya had ta find 'im like this, ma'am."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 41 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R1 B0 L0
Tue 18 Jun 2019
at 16:03
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Dr. Wayland's eyes narrowed at whatever he was seeing out the door, his voice dropping low, "Bigger on the outside....  Side...  Whose side....  dead side...  lively...."  He finished up his check of the lightning gun and leaned it gently against the wall by the door.  His attention remained on whatever might be going on out that door; the others seemed to have the rest of the little church well enough in hand.  He withdrew his pistol from under his coat and began unloading it.  The bullets seemed to be tipped with a gray-ish wax instead of the more usual lead.  To Lee he inquired, "That odd gentleman outside known to you, Rangah?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Wed 19 June 2019.

Bryan Lee
 player, 287 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 01:57
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"That man is Jim McDaniels. A local strongman in Lincoln and enforcer for a criminal syndicate," he said to Wayland. "By reputation, a mean sonuvabitch and a tough one too, so if he knows we're all here, we best be loaded for bear. Señorita Castillo, what was that you said about McDaniels setting us up, and that he wasn't gonna die that easy? He may be headin' our way, so I figure better to know now than later."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 180 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 06:33
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Jacinta closed the door of the office behind her and rejoined the others in the sanctuary.  She gave the dead priest another glance and crossed herself as she passed, but didn't disturb the body.  Hearing Lee's question, she grunted.  "Yea, he set up this ambush and said he was gonna watch us all get ripped to shreds on account of we've been sticking our nose in business that ain't ours.  McDaniels ain't no man.  He's somethin' else.  I put two bullets in 'em.  The first, Coop's bullet, made 'em pause, but he shook it off.  The second should have splattered his brains all over the rocks, but the slug just bounced off his skin.  He ain't human," she repeated, feeling the need to emphasize that point.

"Regular bullets ain't gonna kill 'em, and I don't know if your frying dragon style is gonna stop 'em either, Chino.  So unless Coop has a mess of magic bullets that he can pass out to everyone, or...," she paused, her eyes falling on the holy water.  Without another word, she began to eject the rounds from her rifle and tossed each one into the font.

"Don't know if the blessing'll work with the padre being dead, but sure can't hurt."   Jacinta didn't have a direct spiritual connection with the almighty, but her father had raised her Catholic, so she still carried those traditions with her.  While none of those traditions had included blessing bullets, she wasn't adverse to gaining an advantage whenever possible.  As she removed each bullet from the water, she crossed herself with it, said a soft prayer, and then reloaded it into her rifle.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:36, Wed 19 June 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 59 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
”Yeah. Wish I’d found him in time,” the deputy says with a heavy sigh. She looks briefly around the sanctuary. ”This place...his search for answers brought him here. There’s got to be somethin’ worth finding in this town.”

Carefully, she frees the volume from his embrace, scowling as she sees a series of puncture wounds in his chest, formerly concealed by the book. The injuries follow a pattern, resembling four fingers and a thumb, as if the pastor was attacked by a clawed hand.

Her mouth still pressed into a regretful line, Bauer opens the book, her eyes narrowing as she studies the first two pages. ”It looks like...some kind of ledger.”
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 33 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:01
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney peeks inside the office behind the altar, letting out a low whistle. ”Sure looks like the padre was gettin’ ready to do battle with somethin’. Or at least doin’ his best to keep the devil and his crew away.”

“Think it was McDaniels he was worried about?”


She ventures over to the desk to inspect its contents.
Marshal
 GM, 496 posts
 W5 R1 B0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:02
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Outside, the groans of the dead grow louder. The walking corpses remain at a distance, but more have gathered, moving apparently as close to the iglesia as they are able.
Bryan Lee
 player, 288 posts
 Texas Ranger (16/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 02:49
Re: IVB - Graveyard
"Coop, how long would it take you to scare up a mess o' them bullets?" he said.

He maintained his focus on what was going on outside so he could help orchestrate a response to the threat.

OOC:

Notice: 4

21:47, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:49, Thu 20 June 2019.

Tamsin River
 player, 156 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B2 L0
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 18:54
Re: IVB - Graveyard
After assuring herself that the priest is, in fact, dead, Tamsin River follows Aileen into the office.
Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 34 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 04:13
Re: IVB - Graveyard
Kearney picks up the pair of books. Seeing that River has followed her, she offers one to the herbalist.

Opening her own, the mustanger says, ”Looks like this was a journal the priest who tended this church kept.” She flips through several pages. ”Talks a lot about the town bein’ in trouble. About some of the folk here puttin’ their trust in the wrong people.”

River’s volume is written in language that immediately strikes her as archaic, possibly written centuries ago. A brief examination seems to suggest that it is a text on demonology,  dedicated to identifying the manifestations of infernal spirits.