V - Buckshot.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 523 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Wed 17 Jul 2019
at 04:44
V - Buckshot
Before nightfall, Ike Ellis had made certain that Thomas Benton’s remains were stored under lock and key in his cellar. Emiliano Narvaez visited the livery after dark, administering the last rites to his fellow minister and friend. The two men spoke of arrangements afterward, deciding that it would be best to hold the Reverend’s service the day after tomorrow.

Ellis, a man of habit, was up the following day well before dawn, so it was he and his helpers that Desiree Thornton approached for assistance. At dawn, the aging stable owner and his employees managed to track down all of those that had ridden into Angus the previous day, passing word to each to meet at the Thornton-Curry Saloon as soon as they were able. Of Kansas Kate’s whereabouts, nothing was known, but the saloon keeper hung a lit lantern beside the rear entrance to the bar, the door the outlaw seemed to prefer, in hopes that she would recognize it as a signal of welcome.

As the members of the select group arrived, they could smell the rich scent of coffee, along with that of cooking food. Thornton, wearing a simple blue calico dress, was on the porch of her business, sweeping away the dust that had gathered there the evening before.
Albert Cooper
 player, 304 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Thu 18 Jul 2019
at 04:38
V - Buckshot
Albert made his way toward the front door of the Thornton-Curry Saloon in his usual attire - dark gray shirt, black pants, boots, and duster, with a dark gray fedora on his head. His gunbelt was around his waist as usual, the decorated pearl grip of his .44 revolver a stark contrast to the dark colors he wore.

Seeing the proprietor of the establishment out front, Albert nodded appreciatively at Desiree a moment before lifting his hat slightly off his head. "Good mornin', ma'am. How are ya doin' today?"
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 44 posts
Thu 18 Jul 2019
at 17:59
V - Buckshot
”I’m well,” she answers, halting her chore. ”I’m glad to see you again Mr. Cooper. You are a true cowboy. Up before the break of dawn.”

She nods across the street. ”Mrs. Ramsey was kind enough to cook breakfast for everyone. I can cook mind you, but just about everything this Louisiana girl whips up isn’t to most folks taste here in Lincoln.”

She regards him seriously. ”How are you doing? Deputy Bauer was in last night, said several folks took a ride out of town yesterday, you included. She didn’t talk about it, but...she seemed different. A little shaken, maybe.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 309 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 02:00
V - Buckshot
"There's things out in this world that'll shake even the sturdiest man or woman, Miss Thornton," he said, tipping his hat to her as he walked up. "I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of inviting a chance met old friend who met some of us outside of town to join us this morning. He should be along shortly, I believe." He scanned the road to see where Wayland was.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 61 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 03:57
V - Buckshot

Dr. Wayland was not long after the Ranger and was fairly easy to spot in his colorful attire.  He had managed to repair or replace the clawed panel across the front of his bright yellow wasitcoat and so looks very little the worse for the wear of the previous adventure.  He is, notably, /not/ carrying his lightning cannon around town.  He is wearing the gatling pistol in its odd bulky rig.

Stepping in, he doffs his top hat and has a look around, "Lovely.  I do enjoy a good saloon..."  Lee and Cooper get a soft nod, Mrs. Thornton gets a soft bow, "Ma'am."  As he straightened, he sniffed the air....trying to identify exactly what is being cooked...
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 196 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R1 B4 L0
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 06:32
V - Buckshot
Jacinta wasn't much of a sleeper and never slept all that deeply, in any case.  So being awoken at the crack of dawn wasn't a terrible imposition.  She was yawning as she approached the saloon, stretching out the kinks in her back that came from fighting a bonafide demon.  Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she gave Desiree a nod as she stepped up onto the porch with the others.  "I hope you got some of that good, strong coffee ready, chica.  I need about a pot to myself," she warned.
Kansas Kate
 player, 322 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 15:02
V - Buckshot
Kansas Kate arrived all right.  She went off in the brush to tether the horse.  She'd come back for it soon, to make sure it got water and feed.

A lit lantern during the day?  She grunted.  Shouldering Graham's scattergun, for nothing else was as deadly effective in such close quarters, she took up a position next to the back door and listened, carefully.

09:50, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 1,15 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+6+3)15.  Roleplaying Notice roll lol.

Just to see if Kate gets the situation right or wrong.  Kate doing a dodge roll into the saloon, shotgun in hand, ready to kill Murphy's goons to save Thornton unnecessarily is a funny visual.

It sounded... normal.  Maybe it was just a signal and not a distress beacon.  She let some of the tension (not all, never all) in her body go.

She entered, carefully, quickly closing the door behind her.  She walked in as quietly as her boots would allow.

Kansas Kate looked a sight.  She'd been left outside dead for a day, and was wearing another woman's bullet-hole ridden blood spattered clothes.  If not for the Wolf's generous offering of whiskey she'd stink horribly too (it's not like she smelled good now).  Speaking of which, first things first.  The outlaw, who looked like she was ready to go to war with a carbine, a shotgun, the hilt of the Toothpick and her trademark Schofield all at the ready.

Not speaking to anyone yet, she went behind the counter and grabbed the most potent looking hooch she could see, and wasn't a complete jackwagon, dropping some of Dolly Graham's pocket money on the bar.  She took a hell of a pull.  Not needing to breathe any more, it wasn't hard to take a fourth of the bottle in one gulp.  She could do more, but she remembered it probably wasn't smart to let on she was dead so publicly.  Besides she was still processing that.

Wayland got her attention next.  Finally she spoke.

"Ah have a lot of things to say."  The burning alcohol came off of her words in acrid waves.  She kept her steely eyed gaze on the dandy in his colorful getup.  What a visual contrast between the two.  She asked Cooper.  "Cooper, this'un.  Right damn quick if ya please."

The question was left unspoken but the way Kate's eye twitched was a tell.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 65 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 18:51
V - Buckshot
Bauer arrives, hints of dark circles beneath her eyes. She smiles at the gathering, momentarily distracted by the sight of Kate taking an enormous pull on a whiskey bottle.

“Mornin’” she says, ”Good to see ya’ll.”

She gestures eastward, down the street, with her thumb. ”Ike Ellis told me Miz Kearney rode out for San Patricio this mornin’. Somethin’ about sendin’ a telegram to her folks in Colorado.”
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 45 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 18:51
V - Buckshot
Thornton smiles at Dr. Wayland’s formal bow. ”Well, good morning, sir. Any friend of the Ranger’s is a friend of mine.”

She gestures to the batwing doors. ”Food and plates are lined up on the bar.” She looks to Castillo. ”Coffee’s on the far end. Just made.”

She starts to step around the side of the building. ”You get done, meet me over at the shed in the back. I’ve something to show you.”

Inside on the bar can be found eggs, bacon, biscuits, fresh cut cantaloupe, oatmeal, and strawberry preserves. At the far end of the bar are utensils and plates, along with a pot of coffee and several tin mugs. The barroom is unoccupied, a trio of lanterns providing light as dawn continues to climb into the sky.
Albert Cooper
 player, 305 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 22:58
Re: V - Buckshot
Desiree Thornton:
She regards him seriously. ”How are you doing? Deputy Bauer was in last night, said several folks took a ride out of town yesterday, you included. She didn’t talk about it, but...she seemed different. A little shaken, maybe.”


"Hm. Thought she'd be happy. Folks that rode outta town caught themselves a big fish. I'm doing purty well, cuz of that."

Albert greeted Bryan, Ezekiel, and Jacinta as they arrived, removing his hat for the latter as she strode up to the saloon.

He made his way inside to see Kate make her entrance and rather long draw from the bottle. Made him itch for a shot or two himself, but that should probably wait.

He opened his mouth when Kate approached, but she was quicker on the verbal draw than he was. He nodded. "This here's a Doctor we met out where we were goin' yesterday. I think his doctorin's mostly gotta do with makin' people hurt more, so I jus' call 'im The Dentist. He's in the know on what's been goin' on, and trustworthy. So talk free around him. He's also a bounty huntin' dentist, fer what it's worth."

He gestured toward an empty table. "Mebbe at that large table right there? Imma get some food first."

The cowboy served himself some food and coffee before sitting at the indicated table with a fork in hand. He awaited Kate's report.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:00, Fri 19 July 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 62 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Sat 20 Jul 2019
at 03:10
Re: V - Buckshot
Dr. Wayland had been about to peruse the breakfast offerings of the quaint establishment when the nameless, whisky-drowned whirlwind came through.  He straightened a bit defensively as she leveled /such/ a look on him.  Cooper's "explanation" slumped him back down again though in mock exasperation.  And he quickly corrected, "Ah am neithah a medical doctah or a dentist, sah.  Ah hold degrees in..."  He trailed off, realizing the pointlessness of explaining and realizing that, very likely, Mr. Cooper was being glib.  "Well, suffice it to say Ah am just not /that/ sort of doctah,"  Wayland paused, casting his look back to...The Drinker, "Though, Ah might recommend that we find that sort of doctah.  No offense..."
Kansas Kate
 player, 323 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Sat 20 Jul 2019
at 17:00
Re: V - Buckshot
Kansas Kate walked the length of the saloon taking sips while checking every window, every corner, doing her best to ensure they weren't being snooped on.  It's not like she actually had the power to ensure such as the case in any event, but much like the farce with leaving the headless corpse.

She sniffed the air at the dandy non-doctor.  "Kansas Kate.  Ya say th' whole thing.  Coop says yer all right yer all right."  She inspected his rig with an inscrutable expression.  She paid an inordinate amount of attention to weapons and hands, it wasn't just the good Doctor's that got this treatment, but she was more familiar with the others if only slightly.

Once she was satisfied, Kansas Kate, her bottle perhaps two thirds down, began.

"After Jesse Evans were done convinced ah done kilt Tom O'Folliard, he done sent me ta meet his boss man, Dolan. Dolan offered me a contract ta kill Perez th' school-ma'arm.  Ah accepted it, on accout of he said 'take care of her', not kill 'er, though that's what he were expectin', clear as day.  Ol' Kansas Kate was 'a gonna play Prairie Lawyer with 'im.

"Ah managed to get Perez cornered and was a' tryin' ta talk her into an okey-doke ta pull Dolan along.  But t'were a trap, Murphy hisself, Frank Baker, Jesse Evans, an' Dolly Graham were lyin' in wait, couple others too but ah didn't get them names."

Kansas Kate took a sip.


"They left me outside fer dead, but that Injun Wolf feller came and worked some Injun medicine."  And that medicine was firewater Kansas Kate didn't say out loud.

"Since they knew ah weren't gonna kill no damn school teacher, them little chickenshits sent Graham and a feller called Bill Spawn ta kill Tom O'Folliard.  Ah don't know how he done it, but damn that Injun is smarter'n a rawhide whip what's been left ta soak overnight.

"Ah got damn lucky, th' Injun happened ta take me up to th' perfect ambush spot.  Spawn and Graham are dead.  O'Folliard's gone back to th' Tunstall Ranch to round up a posse.  We switched clothes with th' dead so Murphy's gang might think th' job was done an' Graham an' Spawn's still 'live.  Sent Graham's body off wit' th' Injun.  Blew Bill Spawn's head off with this here scattergun while he were a wearin' Folliard's duds, left his body in that cave Folliard were a hidin' in."

Kate hoped that was sufficiently laconic.

"Now what ah'm about ta tell you all sounds plumb loco.  Two days ago, if you'd told me things like this, ah'd have shot you in th' face ta make ya shut up.  But this here, this ain't like nothin' ah seen before, not that ah done seen everythin' there ever were under the sun.

"But ah have learnt plenty.  Murphy has an unholy power, he makes th' cold of hell itself come forth an' fights like a monster.  It ain't nat'ral.

"Graham... 'fore she died, she gave up everythin' she had on them.  Ah reckon she were either pressed inta her sitch-ee-ashun, or were just hired ta do a job an' got in over her head.  While she were bleedin' out, she lost any loyalty she had to Murphy and company.  She told me thin's.  Weird, disurbin' thin's.

"Jesse Evans is th' only one what ever talks direct to Murphy, who don't leave the ranch much, and he ain't never seen, exceptin' at night.  Dolan is th' day to day boss."

Another whiskey sip.

"Graham done said Murphy has a power from the Capitan Peaks, that somethin' happened ta him when he took a wagon train up that way.  Ah don't think Murphy can rightly be kilt proper until we takes that power 'way from him.  There's another feller ah gots ta find, names Roberts, probably knows somethin'.  Ah could use help, ah shoot people, ah don't find 'em."

She emptied the bottle.  All in all she'd done a decent job of not going on too long about it all, and leaving out certain... parts, but those wouldn't really help the situation right now anyway.  She indulged in a bit of sophistry.

"Ya believes me or ya don't.  Ya'll... ah am a piece of human trash.  Ah kill, steal, cheat, murder, 'n cuss.  T'were all I was ever good fer.  But this has gone beyond natural, normal or sane, this here's about destroyin' somethin' wrong.  There's th' evil that were meant to be in th' world, an' then there's this horse shit."

She sighed, stopped her philosophizing, and moved on.  "Find th' man Roberts, undoes whatever it is that makes Murphy so damn chickenshit, an' then ah, or whoever gets there first ah reckon, kills Jesse Evans, Frank Baker an' Dolan.  Reckon we oughtta take a moment to gather up all th' blasting supplies, ammunition, horses an' weapons while we find Roberts, an' Dolan', well that's a Lincoln job if'n ah ever heard a one.  And let me make this real clear, either they gonna die, or ah am.  Ah don't give a damn no more, they done signed their death warrants when they crossed Kansas Kate."

Again.
  She thought after saying she was going to die.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sat 20 July 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 66 posts
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 18:53
Re: V - Buckshot
Bauer listens as Kansas Kate relates her story, moving to the bar to fold bacon into a pair of biscuits and pour coffee into one of the tin cups. Taking a seat at the end of the table Cooper indicated, she says, ”If Murphy’s scared of Buckshot Roberts, he’s not the only one around here. He’s a hell of a bounty hunter. He brought in a few to Sheriff Brady, dangerous sorts all.”

“Last I heard, he lives around Blazer’s Mill. It’s a little place, just a store and a few other buildings, southwest of here. Right on the edge of Mescalero Apache country. Roberts supposedly gets on real well with the Apache. But not most other folks. He’s not too friendly to strangers. Last time he got a drink over at Wilson’s, he laid up four of Murphy’s ranch hands. Broke one’s jaw and both arms on another one.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 308 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 17:33
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert listened to Kate's story and plan. He got a dark look about him when she mentioned being left for dead. Kate had probably known him at the right time in his life to know that was the sort of look he got when he was going to try to avenge some misdeed.

"Laid up Murphy's ranch hands ya say? Sounds like a point in his favor, not a warnin'. It terms of findin' folk, J-Lo, General Lee, and the Dentist all prolly have that sorta skill. One bein' a scout, another a Ranger, and the last a bounty hunter."

He shrugged. "As fer believin' such a weird tale as yours...the rest of us just got done killin' a demon what controlled an army of dead bodies. So ain't nothin' yer tellin' us is gonna seem too far-fetched after that."

Albert shrugged. "As fer our part, we went out ta Angus like planned. Met up with the Dentist there, exchanged pleasantries, and found he wouldn't mind some help bringin' in a bounty. Turned out ta be the easiest bounty ever hunted as the fella what needed huntin' was already dead. Just like everbody else in that town. Course bein' dead wasn't no hindrance ta them all risin' again ta try ta turn us inta worm food as well. At least when Jim McDaniels was pulling their strings."

He nodded at the others. "McDaniels was some kinda demon able ta use the bodies of the dead for his own nefarious purposes. Sorta reminded me of them railroad folk I hunted down after they killed my wife and took my boy. 'Cept McDaniels could sprout leathery wings and fly."

"After retreatin' ta the church, which the old reverend had quite sanctified, the Dentist brought the demon down from the roof inta the holy space. Seemed like he couldn't heal hisself or nuthin in there. So he died on sanctified ground. Now...when a demon's body is destroyed, it's usually a couple decades 'fore he or she can come back ta this world 'gain. A demon that died on sanctified ground? Might be longer. Either way, we won't be seein' that fella soon."
Kansas Kate
 player, 326 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 01:51
Re: V - Buckshot
"Figgers."  Kansas Kate sighed.  Cooper always had to top any story you ever told.

"So.  Jesse Evans, Frank Baker an' Dolan all need to die.  Roberts needs ta be found.  O'Folliard an' his sorry lot need ta be organized so fewer of them die.  Is that about the size of it?  Well that an' ah reckon we want ta get every scrap of gunpowder, dynamite an' sharp stick in this shithole town."
Albert Cooper
 player, 309 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 15:46
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert shrugged. "Order might be important. Like if we eliminate Evans, might be hard ta get at Murphy. I assume he's the endgame here?"

Albert didn't feel like he had all the pieces, but Kate had shared quite a bit. So maybe they had enough of the puzzle laid bare.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:39, Wed 24 July 2019.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 67 posts
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 18:32
Re: V - Buckshot
The deputy finishes one of her biscuits, then tucks the other into the pocket of her vest. She downs the remainder of her coffe in a single gulp.

”I’ve got a bit of urgent business to attend to this morning,” Bauer says as she walks over to the entrance, ”Ya’ll know I’ll back whatever play you make. ‘Specially after yesterday. When you’ve figured out the next step, come find me. I should be back at the courthouse in an hour or so.”

Giving the gathering a nod, she steps outside.
Marshal
 GM, 528 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 18:33
Re: V - Buckshot
A few minutes after Bauer exits, there is a noise from the quiet street outside; a horse, moving at a full, hard gallop, its hoofbeats growing louder as it nears the saloon.
Bryan Lee
 player, 310 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 19:27
Re: V - Buckshot
"I've been wantin' to find out what's goin' on up in those mountains for a bit now, so I'm all about a trip over there - and to see this Buckshot Roberts. When I confronted Dolan and McDaniels about the man that beat up Kibbe potentially being a man named Provencio, they told me that Kibbe must have mistaken him for Roberts - and tried to turn my attentions on him," he said.

"Of course, it sounded like a load of bull, but I figured it might be worth talkin' to a man that the House was trying to use me to take down." He paused as he heard the sound of the horse slowing down about near the saloon, waiting to see what if anything came from this.
Kansas Kate
 player, 327 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 00:05
Re: V - Buckshot
"All right.  Ah have to talk to this Roberts mydamnself.  Ah got... reasons."

Kansas Kate likewise reacted to the galloping, though in perhaps a different way.  She took a window, shouldering her repeater.  If she didn't like who it was they were getting plugged.
Albert Cooper
 player, 310 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 02:46
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert nodded at Bauer's departure and internally chastised himself. He had wanted to ask the deputy how she was holding up, but hadn't gotten the chance before Lena left.

His mental chiding was set aside when the hoofbeats approached. Kate generally had good instincts, so Albert lifted his pistol out of its holster. He kept it below table level, but he would be ready to back any move by KK if necessary.
Bryan Lee
 player, 311 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 03:55
Re: V - Buckshot
Standing not terribly far from the doorframe, he wouldn't need the range of a firearm to deal with an unwelcome intrusion, but he watched Kansas Kate to see what he'd learn from her reaction.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 197 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R1 B4 L0
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 08:04
Re: V - Buckshot
She'd helped herself to coffee and food, sitting at the table to enjoy both.  Kate's description of events didn't really surprise her all that much.  After killing a scarecrow come to life, seeing a ghostly packtrain, and watching McDaniels become a winged demon, she figured there had to be other supernatural forces at work in Lincoln.  If Murphy turned out to be the devil himself, she likely wouldn't be all that shocked.

At the sound of hooves, she glanced up, but continued to enjoy her meal.  Sounded like trouble was headed their way, but there was no sense in getting her hackles up until it actually arrived.
Marshal
 GM, 529 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 03:17
Re: V - Buckshot
The horse comes to a halt outside, whinnying and snorting as the rider is heard hitching it to the rail in front of the saloon.

A moment later, the rider enters. He is a tall man, dressed in the attire of working cowboy, chaps covering his jeans, a bandanna around his neck, and a wide brimmed hat shading his long face. Albert Cooper and Bryan Lee immediately recognize him as Jim French, one of the hands that works for Susan McSween at what was originally John Tunstall’s ranch.

Sensing the tension in the room and seeing Kate’s weapon, French raises his gloved hands. ”I ain’t here to cause no trouble, I assure you,” he tells the gathering.

”I’m tryin’ to find a woman, goes by Kansas Kate. Tom O’Folliard told me that’s the only thing she’ll answer to. He sent me. Said I might find her here at the Thornton-Curry, or that someone here might know how get word to her.”
Kansas Kate
 player, 328 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 03:19
Re: V - Buckshot
Kate relaxed only slightly, letting her carbine go to low ready.  "Ya done found her."
Bryan Lee
 player, 312 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 03:36
Re: V - Buckshot
"Come join us, Mr. French," he said, gesturing to a nearby chair.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 64 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 04:10
Re: V - Buckshot

As Kate began her story, Dr. Wayland set about finalizing his choices from the offered foods.  Cantaloupe, oatmeal, biscuits and preserves.  Each is carefully arranged on the plate.  There is effort put into making sure each portion is the same size....by some sort of calculus meaningful to him.  The main thing that would be noticed, if any bothered to notice the eccentric inventor, is that he carefully pared down the biscuits and cantaloupe to achieve the right balance with the oatmeal.  Which he then had to redo upon the realization that the preserves would actually be eaten /with/ the biscuits and thus change the volume of that portion of the plate.  It took a meticulous while.  He was really only just achieving his coffee when Mr. French entered.

Once it was clear that no shooting would begin right then, Wayland finished pouring the coffee and made his way to the table as well.  Once seated, he drew a small notebook and pencil out of his vest pocket, jotting a few quick notes.
Marshal
 GM, 530 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 04:32
Re: V - Buckshot
Taking Lee’s cue, French makes his way to the offered seat. Sitting down stiffly, he looks to Kate. ”Tom, he would’ve come himself, but had to get ridin’ south. So he asked me to find you.”

“Said you were wantin’ to locate Buckshot Roberts.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 311 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 13:32
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert slipped his weapon back into its holster when he saw who it was. He put his right index finger to the brim of his hat in salute to fellow cowboy. "Vive la révolution." It had become something of his standard greeting to French, though had taken on deeper meaning in recent days.

Albert finished the last of his food then turned his gaze toward the newcomer. He nodded at the question, though allowed Kate to provide any additional details she thought necessary.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Thu 25 July 2019.

Kansas Kate
 player, 329 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 23:43
Re: V - Buckshot
Cooper was disappointed (or perhaps not).  When she didn't have a long, complex story with important details to tell, she was usually fairly spare and laconic.

"Yep."

Buckshot Roberts.  The hell kind of name was that?
Marshal
 GM, 531 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 03:01
Re: V - Buckshot
”Roberts stays away from town...from people, most of the time. But he knows some of the folks at Blazer’s Mill. Gets along with ‘em real well. So usually, when he turns up, it’s there,” French says.

”Mrs. McSween sent a couple of hands over to Blazer’s Mill yesterday to get some lumber to patch up one of the line shacks. They saw Roberts there. Mentioned it when they got back to the ranch.”

“Thing is, Billy Bonney and the rest of the Regulators were there. They’d passed the night at the bunkhouse. Charlie Bowdre, he heard the talk about Roberts.”


French shrugs. ”One of the warrants Judge Wilson issued for John Tunstall’s killin’ was for Roberts. There’s a fair number of people that are certain that he, and a couple of other names on that list, didn’t have nothin’ to do with the murder. But the way the Kid figures it, if there’s a suspicion someone had a hand in it, that’s good enough for him.”

“‘Bout half an hour ago, the Regulators lit out for Blazer’s Mill to serve the warrant on Roberts. Which, knowin’ Billy, means they’ll bring him back to Lincoln in a pine box. That bounty hunter’s a tough one, but there’s no way he’ll take all those boys alone. They’ll cut him down.”

Kansas Kate
 player, 330 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 10:39
Re: V - Buckshot
"Where the hell is Blazer's Mill?"  Kate asked, taking the very last sip of whiskey, and cycling the carbine to let it rest on an empty chamber.
Albert Cooper
 player, 312 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 12:13
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert frowned at the information from French, then looked over to Kate at her question. "Southwest of here. Though if they're all ridin'..."

He looked over to French. "Them regulators all ridin'?" Coop slurped down a sizable gulp of coffee right after he asked the question, as if he might have to leave the remainder behind.
Kansas Kate
 player, 331 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 22:23
Re: V - Buckshot
Kate likewise was already headed back to the bar, though she was paying attention to the question and hopefully the answer.
Marshal
 GM, 532 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 15:58
Re: V - Buckshot
”I can’t say it was all of ‘em, but most. Billy. Doc Scurlock. Jose. Charlie Bowdre. John Scroggins. Fella Billy recruited a little while back named Dave Rudabaugh,” French replies. ”O’Folliard rode after ‘em, hopin’ to talk some sense to Billy.”

He pauses, considering. ”They might’ve left Frank McNab and Steve at the ranch. Billy usually has one or two stay back, in case Mrs. McSween has any trouble.”
Kansas Kate
 player, 332 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 16:52
Re: V - Buckshot
"Damn, it'd be a good time ta hit them over there then, if'n they's down ta one or two."  Kansas Kate responded, grabbing a couple bottles of hooch.
Albert Cooper
 player, 313 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 04:44
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert stood up and tipped his hat to the proprietor. “Thank you for the food, ma’am. Half an hour is a bit to make up but ain’t no reason to give em more of a lead. Anyone with a horse is welcome ta join. I’ma try ta catch them regulators. Talk some sense inta ‘em.”  Brandy was well-rested and ready to go.

He’d also had the same thought as Kate and was glad she’d brought it up. Someone should head that way as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:10, Mon 29 July 2019.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 65 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 07:21
Re: V - Buckshot
Dr. Wayland seemed to really only be getting started.  In that he ate...slowly.  In fact, he seemed to chew things beyond any reasonable amount of chewing necessary.  After each of the few pieces he had successfully masticated to whatever he defined as the perfect amount, he made another note in his notebook.  He looked up from his very deliberate meal as he caught the last of the discussion.  The bite of fruit remained  poised on the fork, but he turned to offer, "Ah, Mr. Coopah would you care for my accompaniment?  All I know of Mistah Robahts is to the good and Ah would be glad to assist in his defense.  Or..."  He trailed off and shifted to look to Kate, "Or perhaps you would prefah my help?  Ah admit, the details of this whole affair are...sketchy...  But, Ranger Lee assures me it is all to the cause of justice."  He paused again, eyeing Kate a bit more inquisitively, "And...  Perhaps Ah could offer you a disguise.  Being that you were left for dead and assumed to be so by some very wicked folk.  It might make things easiah for you?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:58, Mon 29 July 2019.

Kansas Kate
 player, 333 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W0 R0 B0 L#
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 12:12
Re: V - Buckshot
Kansas Kate stopped for a moment, because that might be of use.  The more confused they could keep the other side for as long as possible, well it could only possibly help right?

"Ah'm lis'nin."
Bryan Lee
 player, 314 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 14:20
Re: V - Buckshot
"Sounds like Judge Wilson went wild, issuing warrants on anybody and everybody. May need to have a word with him before this is all over if I get a chance to. But if the Regulators manage to finish off Roberts, that's a valuable source of information that'll be lost in an effort to head off these...demonic activities, so to speak."

He had been leaning against the wall, but stood up from his position.

"The details are indeed a bit sketchy, Dr. Wayland. It's Roberts who we need to clear them up, I think, and so beyond the ordinary good in saving a man from an unjust execution, there's a larger one at stake here as well. I think we'll be glad for your accompaniment."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 66 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 05:02
Re: V - Buckshot
When Kate seemed amenable to the idea, the inventor got a bit excited.  It wasn't everyday that someone might willingly be part of experimentation.  He set his forked cantaloupe back down and turned more towards the whisky-soaked gunfighter, "Ah have developed a device which can genahrate perfect recreations of faces.  Ah have quite a catalogue of "casts" or faces I have copied from volunteeahs.  Ah am certain Ah could find something fitting to you."  As Lee offered his recommendation, Dr. Wayland gave him a quick nod, "Of couahse.  Though, as Mr. Coopah pointed out they are riding fast and my mule, Lightning, may be an efficient mode of travel...  Well...  The name does not come from his speed.  And, if Ah could remain, Ah could help Kate....rather /Kansas/ Kate ...yasaythewholething...."  His voice dropped softer at the last bit, mumbling his way through the half-remembered admonition.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 06:59, Mon 29 July 2019.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 198 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R1 B4 L0
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 05:50
Re: V - Buckshot
"If you're ridin', I'm ridin'," she said to Cooper, downing the last of her coffee.  "Ain't keen on letting an innocent man die just because some uppity judge has a grudge against 'em, or whatever the motivation.  Like Lee said, Roberts has answers we need, so can't let him be gunned down before we get 'em, either."

"For what it is worth, I don't think we should go splittin' up again.  If I'd been caught out alone with McDaniels, he would have killed me like he did countless others.  We survived 'cause all of us were together in that fight, some holding back the dead, others dealing with McDaniels.  By the grace of God we survived.  Bad things happen 'round here for those that don't have anyone watchin' their backs."  She threw a pointed look at Kate.
Kansas Kate
 player, 336 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L#
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 11:04
Re: V - Buckshot
Kansas Kate listened to the doctor's words, and wasn't sure she understood, but it sounded like it might be the trick they needed to keep the ruse up a bit.  She asked the room the more pressing question however, since he made an excellent point about logistics.

"Ah has a borried hoss, might be we has ta borry some more or a coach or somethin'."  She didn't say steal, she actually did mean borrow, just... aggressively.

She wasn't sure what Castillo was on about with this, but Kansas Kate responded.  "If yer not gonna saddle up and ride the hell out of here like a sane woman should, ya outta reckon this here's a war not a church congregashun meetin'.  Ya goes where yer enemy is, if'n ya can.  Though at th' moment, sounds like our enemy's mostly in one place an' they gots th' numbers.  An all ya'll need ta get a couple of fool notions out of yer head, there ain't no point in worryin' about whether it's right or wrong, the point is this Buckshot feller's got what we needs ta know.  An' they ain't no God, no good, nothin' like that, there's only people what realize how th' world truly is an' those who's lucky an' stayed innocent.  Nothin' done by a stinky, low down worthless creature like a human bein' is e'er gon' be 'good', jus' diff'rent kinds o' evil.  Satan and Hell ya can believe in though, those is real."

She turned to the messenger.  "Ya got a transpertation sitcheeashun?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 315 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W-1 F0 W0 R3 B3 L0
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 15:13
Re: V - Buckshot
"Thanks for the information, French. Coop, I reckon you know the territory best, so you can lead us out. We got you, me, Jacinta, and maybe Kate, assumin' she's done with her lecturin'. If we can find Bauer on the way, then we can scoop her up too. I wish Kearney was still in town - she had a way about her. We'll go to Ike Ellis's place and take Sheriff Brady's horse for Wayland on my authority as a Ranger, as he won't be needing it while he's laid up. Let's get movin'. "

He didn't know if he could commandeer a horse, but he figured other people probably didn't either. He made for the door.
Albert Cooper
 player, 317 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 18:03
Re: V - Buckshot
Albert smiled at Jacinta and nodded at her agreement to ride. Cooper raised an eyebrow and gave Kate a bit of a distressed look at the thoughts she voiced, but decided that they could discuss the finer points while they rode. The clock was ticking.

His gaze drifted over to Bryan as the ranger laid out the plan. "Sounds good, General. Let's move." The cowboy followed Bryan out the door and looked about for Brandy.
Marshal
 GM, 534 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 20:59
Re: V - Buckshot
”Yes’m,” French replies to Kate, ”I rode that horse hard comin’ in, but he’s strong. He’ll get me back to the ranch just fine.”

He looks around at the various members of the gathering. ”Look, I know there’s only a couple of the Regulators there, But countin’ me, there’s another eight hands workin’ the ranch right now. We ain’t shootists, but all of us know how to handle a gun. And Mrs. McSween’s got more grit than most anyone I know. I promise, if someone from The House comes lookin’ for a fight, we’ll give ‘em hell. And more besides.”
Kansas Kate
 player, 338 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W3 R0 B0 L#
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 01:06
Re: V - Buckshot
"Mah hoss is tied up out back.  Imma get it so's ah can be ready wit' th' rest of ya's."  Kansas Kate remarked, ready to get down to this.  She walked out with two bottles of hooch, one for each saddle bag.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 68 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W4 R1 B1 L0
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 15:11
Re: V - Buckshot
Dr. Wayland was, perhaps, a little saddened by Kate's not taking him up on the offer of the use of his invention.  But, obviously there were pressing needs.  Science is patient.  He did manage one more meticulous, carefully chewed bite while watching the "exchange" twixt Kate and Jacinta.  At Lee's plan, he settled the fork down and made another note was jotted in his notebook as he rose.  The almost untouched plate got a sad...longing look...  But, Wayland turned away with finality.  No sense in sentimentality right now. He adjusted his gunbelt and gave a nod, "Then...  We ride?"  He made to follow Lee in his horse requisitioning, "Ah'll just make a quick stop at the boahding house and pick up a few things.  Meet me theah with the hoss?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:16, Tue 30 July 2019.

Marshal
 GM, 536 posts
 W2 R0 B0
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 03:18
Re: V - Buckshot
Ellis doesn’t question Lee’s request for William Brady’s mount, a chestnut mare, assuring the ranger that the Sheriff would want her put to good use in his absence. The horse is saddled and ready for Dr. Wayland once the bounty hunter has gathered the items he requires from the Patron House.

As the gathering begins to ride west out of town, they meet Lena Bauer coming into Lincoln from the opposite direction, a deep frown on her face. When she sights the group, recognizing that they are off on an errand, she wheels her horse about and falls into pace with them without question. As the Main Street retreats behind them, she says, ”One of ya’ll can tell me what it’s about on the way.”

At the riders’s backs, the horizon blazes orange, the bright blue coming into focus above it a herald that night has finally passed.