X - High Lonesome.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Bryan Lee
 player, 419 posts
 Texas Ranger (20/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R5 B1 L1
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 02:11
X - High Lonesome
Drawing himself into a stance suitable for launching an immediate attack, he held his hand out, beckoning the wolves to come at him as the pack began to make its way into the cemetery.

"This is just the opening volley; the real threat is yet to come," he called out to his friends.

When the wolves closed in, before they could make a move for him, he closed the distance, spinning into the fight fists striking bone and fur as he whirled between each of them, exacting vengeance for the stagecoach driver with each blow.

OOC:

Bryan is facing off against four wolves, and between Quickness, Superior Kung Fu, and Improved Frenzy, he's got six attacks. Of them, only four hit, three with a raise (14, 20, 9, 10) against Parry 6. Damage results with the raised version of Damage Field up and Wild Attacks, and raises when appropriate.

Damage 1: 23
Damage 2: 18
Damage 3: 33
Damage 4: 28

Initiative: KS

That should take care of those four wolves. Then he's going to back up and scurry to the right to get out of the way for the shooters, sort of between the current posse and the boulders.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
15:21, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: KS using a deck of 54 cards.
14:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 28 using d8+d4+2+2d8+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 4.
14:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 33 using d8+d4+2+2d8, rerolling max.  Damage 3.
14:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 18 using d8+d4+2+2d8+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 2.
14:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 23 using d8+d4+2+2d8+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 1.
13:17, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3,3 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack) 2.
13:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack) 2.
13:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,10 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack) 2.
13:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,5 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack).
13:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 20,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
13:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 14,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).


Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 31 posts
 Buckshot
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 03:14
X - High Lonesome
Not moving from where he stands, Roberts lets out a slow breath and fires another shot, blasting one of the wolves’ heads into a shower of dust.

12:09, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 2,7 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+2)8.  Shooting.

12:10, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 10 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 4,6.  Damage.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 88 posts
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 03:15
X - High Lonesome
Bauer pauses, tracking one of the approaching predators with her carbine. Sure of her shot, she takes it, the bullet shattering the beast’s chest, reducing it to a heap of rotted fur.

12:11, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,4 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Shooting.

12:13, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 11 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,6.  Damage.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 56 posts
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 03:15
X - High Lonesome
Kearney snaps off another shot at one of the wolves. The bullet blasts away a portion of the creature’s skull in a spray of yellow bone, sending it tumbling onto its side as it is reduced to tatters.

12:14, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 9,0 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of (8+2)10,1.  Shooting.

21:45, Today: Aileen Kearney rolled 10,5 using 2d6+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7,2,5.  Damage.

Shabbakasha
 NPC, 35 posts
 Roving Wolf
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 03:15
X - High Lonesome
Lowering his bow, Roving Wolf sings a few soft words before extending his right hand and shouting a sharp command. [Language unknown: “Whwi setprover ultr whei setbutone!”]

The soil bursts upward in front of two of the rightmost wolves. The shower of dirt and rocks appears to blind the two creatures, their pace slowing, their gait wobbly and uncertain.

Cast: Elemental Manipulation

Power points: 1

12:25, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 2,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Tribal Medicine.

12:27, Today: Marshal rolled -1,-1 using 1d8-2,1d8-2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Agility.

The two leading wolves on the right side of the pack are blinded. As part of that condition, both are shaken.

Marshal
 GM, 704 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 03:15
X - High Lonesome
Lee is blur of motion, his attacks swift and certain. For an instant, his form is lost from the riders’ sight as several of the wolves are reduced to clouds of grave dust by the Ranger’s brutal strikes. Lee emerges from the haze a moment later, backing away from the tremor filled graveyard toward the nearby collection of boulders.

Five wolves remain. All of those that have survived to this point are shaken. Two are blinded.

Initiative Order

BJ! - Albert Cooper
QC - Kansas Kate
JD - Bryan Lee
9H - Allies (Bauer, Kearney, Roberts, and Shabbakasha)

8C - Tamsin River
7D - Jacinta Castillo
6C - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
4S - Wolves

Miss River, Señorita Castillo, you can each take your turn.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 276 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B6 L0
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 06:00
X - High Lonesome
Jacinta squinted, following one of the wolves with the sight of her rifle.  The beast was clearly shaken by earlier attacks, so her next shot hit easily and put the creature down.  She cranked the lever to chamber another round, immediately in search of another target.


Shooting: 5
Damage: 14
Initiative: QS


22:56, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 3,5 using d8+1,d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4.  Shooting.
22:56, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 14 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(8+4)12.  Damage.
22:56, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: QS using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 121 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 00:46
X - High Lonesome
Dr. Wayland's lightning gun roars to life, a fan of blue electricity ripping through the cold air, scorching the hard, gray earth as it travels. The bolts find three of the charging wolves, igniting each of them like patches of dry grass. Their yowls are momentarily deafening as each one succumbs to the flames, their gaunt forms quickly reduced to ash.

15:35, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland, rolled 6,6 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+1)7.  Shooting.

16:24, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland, rolled 13 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 7,6.  Damage.

Marshal
 GM, 705 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 00:46
X - High Lonesome
Castillo's rifle shot literally splits the wolf she targeted in two, both halves sliding to a stop as the creature's remains rapidly crumble.

The lone surviving wolf, suddenly aware that all of its packmates have been slain, halts, momentarily uncertain of its course. Beneath its paws, the dead earth of High Lonesome continues to tremor, the cracks formed in and around the graveyard widening and lengthening, black smoke beginning to overtake the air, concealing many of the monuments from easy view.

The air grows colder, the riders' breaths steaming. The scent of the grave rolls down the stony slope.

The wolf takes a pair of tentative steps back before something unseen pulls it down into the earth with brutal force. The creature vanishes in the blink of an eye.

A lone voice, both close and far away, strong but hollow, arising from beneath the earth and traveling on the wind, asks a single question.

"Why are we awakened?"

OOC: Combat paused.
Bryan Lee
 player, 420 posts
 Texas Ranger (20/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R5 B1 L1
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 19:56
X - High Lonesome
"We've come to call on your aid. To free this place from the presence that defiles it," he said. It was a guess. He hoped that this was the voice of the spirits that lingered within that place, and not that of those which sided with the Owl Witch.

Either way, he'd find out. He looked at the Comanche to see if he could get a read on him.
Kansas Kate
 player, 458 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W3 R4 B1 L#
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 20:28
X - High Lonesome
Kansas Kate grumbled.  She would have just said because some fool was being a dumbarse and she needed to know which of his orifices to land her bullet in.  But she wasn't stupid, she knew this approach would probably play as well as anything could.
Albert Cooper
 player, 414 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B5 L0
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 15:44
X - High Lonesome
Albert lowered his weapon a fraction of an inch to watch and listen.

Bryan's response sounded reasonable and appropriate, so he didn't have anything to add. His eyeballs flicked toward J-Lo to see if she might, though he quickly regained his focus on the wolves.
Marshal
 GM, 706 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 16:08
X - High Lonesome
The black smoke grows thicker, rising to shroud most of the grave memorials from sight, rolling outward in every direction like a dark bank of fog. Within the murk, the riders can glimpse motion, the vague suggestion of figures within the haze, their movements chaotic, sometimes rapid, other times frozen in place, as thought they are out of step with time itself.

”You seek the heart. That is why you have journeyed here.” the voice responds.
Kansas Kate
 player, 459 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W3 R4 B1 L#
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 21:50
X - High Lonesome
The ever wordy Kansas Kate responded.  "Yeeep."  Truly a fount of deep running commentary on current events, that Kansas Kate.

She casually slipped her Schofield back into its leather.  It could come out again fast enough if it needed to.
Marshal
 GM, 707 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 16:25
X - High Lonesome
There is a brief rumble, both heard and felt by the assembled riders. Each of them instinctively recognize the sensation as the equivalent of a soft chuckle.

”The heart is not here. The beast, the wendigo took it down from the mountain after he discovered it. He caged it and keeps it near, so that the source of his power will always be close.”

Another tremor, this one violent and powerful, overtakes the mountainside, the trees swaying and loose stones rising in the air. With a sudden surge, the black smoke rushes outward in every direction, a circular wave that envelops all that can be seen.

Color inverts. The sky becomes black as midnight, the trees white as bone; barren, skeletal ghosts.



The cairns, wagons, and raised monuments that comprise the graveyard have become spectral, their forms hazy, like illusions formed of a mirage that will vanish when approached.

Gathered at the cemetery are a host of the dead. Each figure is black as coal, skeletal limbs and unnaturally bent postures affirming that none of them belong to the living. Some hold weapons wielded by the natives of the territory, those here long before the coming of immigrants from other continents. A few are clad in the ragged dress of frontier settlers. Their numbers are great. Perhaps thirty. Perhaps more. All appear to immediately focus on the gathered riders, hateful, airless hisses rising from their ranks.

”The wendigo wished for you to believe that the heart remained here. That you could destroy him by coming to this place.”

“He sent you here to join us. He sent you here to die.”


OOC: If anyone neglected to make a fresh initiative draw during the last round of the wolves’ attack, please make one now.

Anyone that wants to take a move action prior to beginning of combat may do so.

Tamsin River
 player, 203 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B2 L0
Fri 1 May 2020
at 15:31
X - High Lonesome
08:15, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: RJ! using the Deadlands system.

“If the life that hides here is given room, death will depart. And all that sleeps here will awaken once more...” she mutters to herself. “Perhaps that was intended to be a warning.”

She glances around at the others, more to reassure herself that they’re there than anything else, shifting herself out of the way of the more apt shooters.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:37, Sat 02 May 2020.

Kansas Kate
 player, 460 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T9 W0 F0 W3 R4 B1 L#
Fri 1 May 2020
at 20:39
X - High Lonesome
"Oh, of fucking course."  Kansas Kate swore and sighed deeply.  "A'ight, ah know th' tune ta this here song but ya'll gonna hafta teach me th' words."

I don't know there's a particularly good vantage point to assume here.

And as previously predicted the Schofield was back in play again.
Bryan Lee
 player, 421 posts
 Texas Ranger (20/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R5 B1 L1
Sat 2 May 2020
at 04:51
X - High Lonesome
"That....Ching-wah TSAO duh liou mahng.....Liou coe shway duh biao-tze huh hoe-tze duh ur-tze" He swore under his breath in the language of his parents, a rare occurence for the lawman who otherwise did his best to blend in as much as was possible for a man visibly an outsider in many places.

If it was true, they'd walked into a trap that had been set for them, but the voices in the wind had spoken truth to him.

OOC:

If there's a position that's not in the way of all the gun folk, and maybe able to wade into the fray a little bit on his next action to take a swipe at a few of these things, he'd take it.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 277 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B6 L0
Sat 2 May 2020
at 06:45
X - High Lonesome
Jacinta just shook her head sadly.  She'd warned them, and should have listened to her own advice.  Now there was nothing for it except to shoot their way out and hope to escape with their lives.  Reloading her rifle to replenish her used shots, her gaze narrowed at the approaching dead.
Albert Cooper
 player, 415 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B5 L0
Sat 2 May 2020
at 16:09
X - High Lonesome
Albert took another deep breath and let it out slowly. Just another day at the office, really.

OOC: Albert know anything about these spectral spooks? Weaknesses? Ways to hurt them? The need for everyone to run away right now if we're going to survive to see the sun again?

Occult roll of 5 - will chip if necessary to get some answers.

09:06, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Knowledge (Occult).

Marshal
 GM, 708 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Mon 4 May 2020
at 03:13
X - High Lonesome
The mass of dark figures surge forward. Though some of their forms appear to be little but skeletal remains, they move with the speed of those who are healthy and alive, their murmurs and hisses taking over the noise of the wind as they draw close.

21:29, Today: Marshal drew the single card: JD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

21:30, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland, drew the single card: 4C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.


21:35, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 2C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Shadows.

Initiative Order

RJ! - Tamsin River
KS - Bryan Lee
QS - Jacinta Castillo
QC - Kansas Kate
JD - Allies (Bauer, Kearney, Roberts, and Shabbakasha)
9H - Albert Cooper
4C - Dr. Exekiel Wayland
2C - Shadows

The dead have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. At the moment, most are positioned at the area marked as the graveyard. At their current pace, the front rank could reach the posse's position on the following round.

Miss River, you can act at any point in the round that you choose, including now.

Ranger Lee, you have the floor.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:14, Mon 04 May 2020.

Albert Cooper
 player, 416 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B5 L0
Mon 4 May 2020
at 03:55
X - High Lonesome
Albert squinted into the gloom. "These fine folk seem like them we saw in Angus. Meanin' they particularly dislike fire, holy blessins, and bein' shot in th' head. Course they shouldn't like bein' shot anywhere, but head most of all. Anyone that can make a buncha bright light might also be able ta slow em down."
Bryan Lee
 player, 423 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R5 B1 L1
Tue 5 May 2020
at 02:40
X - High Lonesome
The Ranger flung himself into battle with a wild cry, seeming to nearly float across a stretch of ground as he moved so quickly to find the enemy. He took them from the corner position he occupied, seeking to wade into their ranks and force the battle to him without getting in the way of his allies thinning out the ranks of these strange creatures. As always, he attacked without fear or hesitation, flowing in and out of adapted forms he had devised while studying in Shan Fan.

Three deft blows in quick succession formed Maze Dragon Sweeps Its Tail flowed smoothly into the fury of Angry Drunken Miner that seemed to pour his will into his hands, moving back and forth between them and setting himself up as a target for more. Still, he did not snarl with anger or rage, his face a mask of calmness.

He held out his hand, beckoning.

"Come if you dare, or flee back to where you came from."

OOC:

Quickness and Damage Field are still up. Between Quickness, Superior Kung Fu: Wing Chun, and Frenzy, Lee makes six attacks. At Parry 5, all six are successful, four with raises (6, 23, 14, 9, 10, 5).

Damage is as follows: 25, 24, 16, 24, 32, 30. 08:55, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.
 take out 5 of them, at least without Chips.

Lee is at Parry 5 because of the Wild Attacks. Also, anything that strikes him successfully takes 2d8 damage because of Damage Field.

08:55, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.



This message was last edited by the player at 13:56, Tue 05 May 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 710 posts
 W0 R3 B1
Tue 5 May 2020
at 20:36
X - High Lonesome
In a flurry of motion that is almost lost to the sight of his companions, the Ranger moves into the approaching ranks of the dead, cutting down six of the shadowed corpses with deadly strikes that shatter their brittle forms, fragments of bone and desiccated flesh tumbling to the ground, each of the undead entirely destroyed by the terrible force of each blow.

But the fragments do not remain. Within an instant of reaching the lifeless ground, they are transmuted into a bone colored mist, its pale hue easily seen amidst the overwhelming storm of shadow. The wisps coalesce, forming a stream that rises upward, enveloping one of the dead that still approaches in a tight funnel, vanishing a moment later, the smoke seemingly absorbed by the walking corpse.

The dead man that was surrounded by the mist stops, regarding Lee with a head that briefly cocks to one side. Halting its steps, its movements become smooth and certain, as though it possesses a grace that arises from long training. Keeping its focus on the lawman, it clenches its fists, assuming a stance that mirrors Lee’s own.

Initiative Order

RJ! - Tamsin River
KS - Bryan Lee
QS - Jacinta Castillo
QC - Kansas Kate
JD - Allies (Bauer, Kearney, Roberts, and Shabbakasha)
9H - Albert Cooper
4C - Dr. Exekiel Wayland
2C - Shadows

The dead have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. They are not considered unarmed. At the moment, most are positioned at the area marked as the graveyard. At their current pace, those surviving in the front rank could reach the posse's position on the following round.

Señorita Castillo, it is your turn.

Kansas Kate, feel free to take your turn after hers.

Miss River, you are free to act at any point during the round that you choose.

Bryan Lee
 player, 424 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R5 B1 L1
Wed 6 May 2020
at 02:30
X - High Lonesome
"Señorita," he called out, pointing to the one that had seemed to somehow change and transmute into something that seemed somehow...more threatening.

"If you wouldn't mind performing a little rifle surgery, I'd be much obliged."