XII - A Heart of Thorns.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 773 posts
 W0 R2 B2
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 17:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns
When the riders reach Ike Ellis’ stables, dusk has turned the sky over Lincoln into a bruised violet, a gibbous moon and a scattering of stars making themselves visible in the darkening firmament. Henry Cooper, along with four of his cowboys, are gathered in a small group, speaking quietly with Patrick Garrett and what the group presumes to be three of his deputies. Also part of the gathering are Quinn Murdock, the stagecoach driver, and his guard, Thomas Horn.

Ellis waves as the posse enters the yard, his demeanor friendly, but somber. He and one of his workers are carrying metal coffeepots and battered cups, supplying drinks of the steaming beverage to any who want them. At the stables, the riders notice that Ellis’ other hands are saddling additional horses, apparently for any who might require mounts.

Henry Cooper and Patrick Garrett each greet the group in turn, the Sheriff asking if the assistance of the Regulators might be forthcoming. As Garrett asks the question, Lena Bauer and Jose Chavez y Chavez ride into the yard. Between them is Aileen Kearney, mounted on her mare, her wrists bound together with rope.

Bauer clears her throat. ”’Fore anyone jumps to any conclusions, you may want to listen to what she has to say,” the deputy offers quietly, nodding at Kearney.
Bryan Lee
 player, 461 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 17:24
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee takes a cup of coffee with thanks. He answered simply with, "they'll be comin' along" as to the Regulators assistance, but before he was able to say more on what else they had learned from Bonney and Ulsan, Kearney arrived with Chavez y Chavez and Bauer.

"Well then, let's hear it." He looked expectantly at Kearney, his expression blank as he waited for her explanation of the situation.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:25, Fri 21 Aug 2020.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 62 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 18:30
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kearney looks Lee in the eyes, her voice clear when she speaks. ”I never gave anyone in Murphy’s camp anything until we rode back in from Angus. I did tell them the truth of what I’d seen when we’d faced McDaniels. What each of you were capable of. I wasn’t thinking straight then, and I’m certain I told them more than I should have. That’s no excuse. It’s just the truth of what happened.”

“When I rode over to San Patricio to send a telegram to my folks in Colorado, I found my aunt and uncle gone. Cecil Hutchinson, my uncle’s hired hand, was in the barn, his throat cut ear to ear. Fella by the name of Chambers found me, said my family were somewhere safe, that Mr. Murphy wouldn’t let any harm come to them if I was to cooperate.”

“I saw Chambers again today. I told him a group tin stars and regular folk were gettin’ ready to storm Mr. Murphy’s home and businesses sometime next week. That a bunch of ‘em were meeting over near Angus around nine o’clock tonight to talk strategy.”


She looks over at Garrett, then back to Lee. ”I can’t deny it. I provided help to Murphy and his people. Information they could use to hurt those trying to put a stop to them. I’ll take whatever punishment’s due me. In a courtroom, or here. Whichever you think is best.”

This message was last edited by the player at 18:37, Fri 21 Aug 2020.

Bryan Lee
 player, 462 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 22:04
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee regarded her with a decidedly neutral expression. On his face was the same mask of serenity that he wore often, and it must have seemed especially strange that he wore it while fighting. He concentrated best and had his best focus when he pushed all emotion to the side. It wasn't that he was emotionless, just that he had refined a technique to allow him to process his emotions after when they mattered most.

When he spoke, his voice was almost disturbingly calm.

"And when you were singing like a bird, did you learn anything in return?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:35, Sat 22 Aug 2020.

Aileen Kearney
 NPC, 63 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 14:32
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kearney nods. ”John Kinney...Murphy didn’t hire him. Originally, he had thought to have Kinney killed, like Buckshot Roberts. Apparently, Kinney knows something about what truly happened with the wagon train. But somehow, Murphy worked things where he could blackmail Kinney and his gang to serve as his guards, at least until the war in this county is over. Kinney’s gang are very loyal to him. Not a single one has walked away over it.”

“A lot of the rest of Murphy’s men used to be rustlers. A bunch of ‘em came from the Seven Rivers Gang, who stole horses and cattle for years over in West Texas.”


She clears her throat. ”This last time, Chambers, the one I’ve always talked to, was real high on his horse about some things. Claimed there wasn’t any way for anyone to pull a fast one on Murphy. To catch him off guard. Said there’s a woman he brought in from Santa Fe, a gambler by the name of Maria Barcelo. Some call her Tules. He claimed she can read the future in the cards. Tell Murphy when to expect trouble.”

“Chambers let it slip that he worked directly for James Dolan. That he was meant to handle Mr. Murphy’s business affairs when Dolan was away. He’s from California. Never carries a gun.”


She pauses, frowning, then adds, ”When I saw Chambers today, he had a couple of fellas with him. I overheard ‘em talking about something that Murphy kept caged up on his property. They weren’t specific, but it sounded like they had to feed it, or them, which seems to be a duty no one wants. It definitely sounded like an animal of some kind that was meant to guard the property.”

“That’s all I know.”


Nearby, Tom Horn draws his rifle from its scabbard. Checking that the weapon is loaded, he lays it across his lap, fixing his gaze on Kearney.
Bryan Lee
 player, 463 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 15:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"You're a stranger in a strange land, Miss Kearney. I extended a hand of friendship to you, and accorded you a measure of trust. I appreciate the things you've done along with us; they've taken no small measure of bravery. But all the same, you've provided intelligence to Murphy's criminal enterprise on my operation. I can see why you did it, but all the same, I'm not sure how far that you can be trusted going forward," he said.

"You've given us some information, and it'd be a lot more meaningful if you'd come to us with the situation than being caught red handed. You've had opportunities to do so. You might have provided some false information to them, but then again, you might not. That said, ain't none of us a judge to hear you for what you've done. We will likely need a trial for that with a jury of your peers. Folks from the town that have like you, been done wrong with Murphy, and might sympathize with you or not for your role in what's to come. That said, I don't think we can quite leave her here in the custody of your...other deputies...without giving up the game. Your thoughts, sheriff?"

He looked over to Garrett.
Albert Cooper
 player, 462 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 16:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Albert was mostly glad to see his uncle at Ike Ellis' when he arrived. Some part of him had been hoping that Henry might sit this one out, but that really wasn't like Albert's uncle. The fellow wouldn't let others take part in something dangerous while hiding out.

The younger Cooper approached the group of cowboys. "Howdy fellas, thanks fer comin'. Y'all know what we're up against. I think we'll be doin' some plannin' here shortly, once we've solved the situation with the mustanger."

Albert turned to observe the interaction, but wasn't keen on stepping in since Bryan seemed to have things well in hand. Instead he made sure that Brandy had water and feed, then took a cup of coffee to himself. Albert looked at the dark liquid and thought about how it seemed to have replaced whiskey as his drink of choice since returning from Roswell.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 305 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 07:31
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Jacinta frowned at Kearney's story, giving the mustanger a flat look of disgust.  Before they could haul her away, she spit on the ground and turned her horse, not even sparing the woman another glance.  The scout had known betrayal and heartbreak before, and thought little of those that caused such pain.  She wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but she was loyal, and wouldn't have made the same decision if she'd been in the woman's place.  Those that threatened the ones you love never kept their word.  She'd learned that the hard way.  Better to die with dignity than live a traitorous coward.

Sending her horse pacing a short distance away, she accepted a mug of black coffee from one of the helpful volunteers and leaned against her saddle horn as she nursed it.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 18 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 17:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett motions for one of his deputies. ”Mr. Bell, I want you to take Miss Kearney here and ride straight for Roswell. You need food for the trail, get it from Renata Montano and assure her I’ll be by to settle up with her in short order.”

“At Roswell, pay a visit to the garrison. Give Captain Ayuso my compliments and ask that we use one of the cells in her guardhouse for two, three days at most. Let her know that any costs for Miss Kearney’s stay will be shouldered by Lincoln County. Explain that Miss Kearney is suspected of assisting a known lawbreaker, one that my office, along with the Texas Rangers, are in the process of bringing into custody.”


Bell, a wiry man, nods in understanding.

”Go as quick as you can. I’d like to have her clear of town before we call on Mr. Murphy.”

Bell efficiently uses a length of rope to hitch Kearney’s horse to his own, then leads her out of the stable yard and into the night.
Josiah Scurlock
 NPC, 26 posts
 Doc
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 17:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As the deputy departs with his prisoner, the remainder of the Regulators quietly enter the yard on horseback. William Bonney halts, watching Kearney be led away, before looking to Bryan Lee with a somber expression and giving the Ranger a nod.

Doc Scurlock is one of the first to dismount, politely waving away the offer of a cup of coffee. Looking to Lee and the Sheriff, he says, ”We circled close to Murphy’s spread earlier. Not near enough to see the house or anythin’, but we did spy a group of Murphy’s riders, maybe six all told, headin’ west toward Dowlin Mill, or maybe Angus.”
Marshal
 GM, 774 posts
 W0 R2 B2
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 17:17
XII - A Heart of Thorns
One of Henry Cooper’s cowboys, August Hurley, grins at his boss’s nephew. ”Thing is, Albert, we already got a strategy worked out. All of us, we know how good you are with a gun, so we just figured we’d keep back behind you when we rode over to Murphy’s place.”

He and a couple of his fellow hands laugh. ”I’m kiddin’ o’ course. We’re all ready to do our part to see to it that Murphy cain’t make any more folks’ lives hell. It’s needed doin’ for a long old time. But I ain’t fibbin’ neither. All of us, we’re sure happy you’re comin’ along.”
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 100 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 17:17
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bauer nudges her mount, prompting it to draw close to Castillo. ”I’m real sorry,” she tells the scout, ”The whole time I was ridin’ out that way, I was hopin’ the whole thing was lie. A rumor someone started to stir up trouble.”

She shakes her head. ”She could’ve told us. We could’ve helped her.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 464 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 18:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Before the deputy left, Lee had his own words for him. "Mr. Bell, don't underestimate her. Keep those bindings tight all the way to Roswell and don't let her talk you into any loosening of those restrictions. And please give her this for me." He removed a piece of paper from his coat and a pencil, scrawling a few words, then folding it and handing it over to Bell.


He nodded to Bonney in greeting as he arrived.

"Then it seems our spy did us a small bit of kindness, Mr. Scurlock. Apparently she passed word to Murphy that we'd be meeting to plan some mess in Angus tonight, and that we were planning some kinda attack next week. But Murphy has a pet fortune teller that predicts trouble for him, so if there's any truth to that mumbo jumbo he might expect us anyway and merely dispatched those others as a precaution. They'll find it empty soon enough, so if we wanna take advantage of that, we'll want to move soon. And lay an ambush for those six when they make back to Murphy's ranch so we don't get flanked."

Whenever it was clear that Kearney was well and gone, he addressed the group with what they had learned.

"Every rat has a hole, ladies and gentlemen, even ones that fancy themselves powerful. Turns out the chief rat had an escape route built from his house. In the northernmost wall of his cellar, there's a door leading into a tunnel that leads up to the stables behind the house. Goin' into the stables, there's a trap door in the last stall on the left. There's no horse in there, but he's got a few men guarding it. If we make a strong push on the house, our rat might flee into that tunnel so we don't wanna leave that free."

He shook his head for a moment, and then summarized what Kearney had shared with them.

"A few more things to note that we've learned. First is that Murphy is more than he seems, and I don't know how better to put it than that. He'll be very capable in a fight. Second is that he'll have hostages for certain. Desiree Thornton. Miss Kearney's kin from San Patricio. Heaven knows who else. I'd like to see these people out safely. So take a care with your aim if they're involved in the mix. My guess is that they're in his house, so I do mean to go in there and fish 'em out if I can get the chance."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 156 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 00:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland had, upon arrival, gone to inquire about a delivery of all things.  One of Ellis' hands helped the scientist retrieve said package.  Carefully.  Box in hand, he moved himself to a spot a good distance away from most.  He could still hear the proceedings.  A tsk tsk was offered in bland sympathy to the plight of the mustanger.  But Wayland had bigger concerns that required his attention.  Carefully, focused attention.  Best not to get too distracted...

The crate, for any who were curious, contained quite a few of those very particularly shaped paper-wrapped sticks.  Nothing else really looked like dynamite.  Which was handy for letting the curious understand why some distance might be important.  He set to his work with wire and fuses, whistling softly.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 306 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 04:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Jacinta nodded at Bauer, eyes flitting briefly to the group leading Kearney off.  "Si, she should have, but didn't.  Maybe it was a noble act to protect her family, or maybe it was cowardice, but she didn't have to face the decision alone.  Hoped it was rumor, too, but didn't lean on it too heavily.  Bad thing is, now we're down a gun.  She was a good shot, too.  Could have let her come along to redeem herself, help rescue or avenge her family, but wouldn't be able to trust her."
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 19 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 01:55
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”When it comes to strange things out here on the frontier, there’s not too much I need convincing on,” Garrett says, ”but seein’ the future. That one I’m prone to disbelieve. I think if Murphy himself thought it was truth, he wouldn’t have gone to so much trouble to recruit a spy.”

“But the rest of it? I reckon it needs to be heeded. And even if that gambler’s no fortune teller, it doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a few bad tricks up her sleeve.”

Tom Horn
 NPC, 8 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 01:55
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Horn moves to the center of the gathering, a broken branch in one hand. Using the sharp end, he draws a crude map in the dirt.

”This’s the basic layout. Every ‘X’ is a door.” Pointing to each structure in turn, he identifies it. ”Main house is two stories. Has a wide balcony on the second floor facing the road that leads in. My last visit, there were about a dozen folk out on the grounds keepin’ watch.”


Albert Cooper
 player, 463 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 04:36
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Albert chuckled at the jest from August Hurley. "I do cast a fairly wide shadow, I s'pose. Might make hidin' our numbers easy if y'all do just stay behind me." He tipped his head to the side. "Mebbe stay behind double-kay as well. She's takin' ta sprayin' a lotta lead last I seen. Prolly makes her life easier if she don't gotta worry 'bout hittin' nobody she cares 'bout."

The gun wizard nodded at the intel that Bryan shared. He did point out that the escape tunnel might work both ways. Maybe. "Course that rat tunnel might be another way in fer us. Though who knows - might be locked on the other side."

He looked at the map drawn in the dirt. "What sorta cover is there approachin' these buildins'?"
Tom Horn
 NPC, 9 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 17:56
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”Not hardly any,” Horns answers, ”There’s some scattered mesquite, some sagebrush. A small clump of spruce a little bit south of the main house. Nothing that’s going to stop a bullet. It looks like the land was deliberately cleared some years back.”

He points to the barn and wellhouse with his stick. ”The ranch looks like it sits in an old wash. I think there was water here a long time ago. There’s a slope a little west of the barn. It’s not especially tall, but when I scouted the place, at night I never saw the barn or wellhouse lit up, unless someone carried a lantern out there to fetch something. It’s darker than the rest of the property. I think if you moved in quiet after sunset, staying in line with the slope, you could get to that side of the headquarters without being seen.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 466 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Mon 31 Aug 2020
at 21:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
During the conversation, Lee had pulled a thin, leatherbound book imprinted with what would be to most inscrutable Chinese characters, some of which were fading, out of his duster pocket. Many had seen him perusing it during breaks on the journey back to Lincoln, when they stopped to feed and water the horses. He examined a few of the pages, nodded, and returned it to where he had retrieved it from.

"I'd rather there have not been a spy, but intentionally or not, Miss Kearney has created a few opportunities that we can exploit. First, she planted one lie in our favor; the story about us meeting in Angus. We can momentarily split their forces and seize the moment if we move quickly. It at the very least conveys that we aren't ready to act - if we act soon, we will get a jump on Murphy," he said.

"Second, she has created a set of stories about us and our capabilities, allowing Murphy to perhaps craft a strategy around what we present. Our approach in Angus was unsubtle, and that is likely what Murphy will expect to here. We should play into his expectations - and wait for the opportunity to exploit them. We have more folk here than he's likely counted on."

"Along those lines, we should present ourselves where he expects and then strike where he doesn't expect us. I can, along with a few others, take the main road where he has a clear view of us coming. We can face down any resistance coming our way. But we should also have a group that's a little quieter coming to flank him - going right for the stables, based on what we've learned from the woman who built the place. Take down people that he has on the grounds elsewhere from behind while we're makin' the Big Show up front. Push him down into his hidey hole, and then take him when he tries to come up."

He shook his head. "It won't be that easy, of course. He's got hostages. Desiree Thornton for one. Miss Kearney's relations from San Patricio as well, perhaps. God only knows who else. Also, I'm gonna need to have a vial of hot tallow on hand. Presumably Murphy has...you could call it an allergy to tallow. If I could get some in him, I think it could help subdue him. Any idea where I could scare some up?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:28, Mon 31 Aug 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 777 posts
 W2 R2 B2
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 13:57
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As Lee is speaking, several become aware of the presence of half a dozen Mescalero warriors who have arrived at the periphery of the gathering. Along with them are Andrew Roberts and Shabbakasha. All of the new arrivals remain silent, listening intently to the discussion at hand.
Henry McCarty
 NPC, 29 posts
 William Bonney
 Billy the Kid
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 13:57
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”Just wonderin’, Ranger,” Bonney says, ”Do you think some kind of distraction might prove helpful? I’m kinda thinkin’ the more we scatter Murphy’s people, the better. If it’s dark enough to sneak over there, maybe one of us could light up the wellhouse, or even the barn, provided there weren’t any animals inside.”
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 307 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 05:36
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"I'm fairly good at moving quietly, when needed," she said to Bonney.  Her attention shifted back to Lee.  "You're thinking we use his tunnel to our advantage and gain access through the house in that fashion?"
Bryan Lee
 player, 467 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 02:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"I do think a distraction would be tremendously helpful, Mr. Bonney, if we can be assured that there aren't any hostages in that building," he said. He nodded in greeting to the Roberts and the Mescalero who had joined him.

He nodded to Jacinta. "I do think we could gain access through that tunnel, or at least cut off retreat."

He looked over to the Mescalero, and asked their opinion on things. "Your people are masters at stealth warfare. What approach would you take on this place?" he gestured to the map.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 39 posts
 Buckshot
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 19:51
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Roberts converses with his allies quietly, then returns his attention to the map in the dirt. ”Everything that has been suggested is sound. A handful making a direct attack, while others destroy one of the buildings to the west. The goal of all of it should be to get a few into the house itself. To make use of the passageway to enter the home and confront Murphy. If he is killed, everything else will fall into disarray.”

He points to the bunkhouse on the map. ”There should be some of us who are posted near here before the attack begins. There will almost certainly be some of Murphy’s people here resting, who won’t join the fight until they are alerted. We should have some ready to ambush them.”
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 41 posts
 Roving Wolf
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 19:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”If any enter the house early, they should be cautious,” Roving Wolf adds, ”Besides Murphy himself, the most capable of those that guard him will be waiting inside.”
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 164 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Sun 13 Sep 2020
at 04:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland paused his explosive work while doing his best to listen in on the planning and discussions.  He set his finished bundle aside and quickly strode over to the bags that he had brought on the ride out to the ranch, "Murphy! Right...  Ah had almost fohgotten...  Caught up in other explosive considerations..."  From his bag he withdraws what looks to be a small brass teakettle with some...modifications at the base.  A clockwork and wire apparatus, strapped on with yet more copper wires.  Not elegant and looks to have been cobbled in a bit of a rush.

The kettle-gizmo is brought over to the group, but Lee in particular, "Ah believe theah was mention of a need to heat tallow in a timely fashion...."  The man of science offered out the gizmo, indicating the key, "Used a spa-ah electrical genahrator, such as is used on the lightning gun.  The current through the resisting wi-ahs will heat the contents rathah rapidly."
Kansas Kate
 player, 535 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 00:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate grumbled.  "It's fine, might as well pinch him off.  Though I could use a patchin'.  Mah plan didn't go well at'all.  But sech were always th' risk, an' no one got hurt but me."
Bryan Lee
 player, 472 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 15:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bryan inspected the special kettle that Dr. Wayland provided him, taking it by the handle and observing the spout as well as the activation mechanism. "That is wonderful, Dr. Wayland. I'm gonna have to figure out how I can contrive to pour it down Murphy's throat."

He turned to somewhat present a finalized plan to the others. "So we have the big show up front to take their attention with myself and the Sheriff here and a few others. We sneak a team out back to secure the stables, mainly Roberts and our Mescalero friends and whoever joins them. We'll want to come up into the house and try to free anyone Murphy has held hostage. Once the action kicks off, we have the wellhouse go up in a blaze, as the Regulators join the fray."

"The prime objective is to free the innocent hostages that Murphy has taken, and secondarily to capture or kill Murphy. We'll need to eliminate resistance on the ground to get in, but we can expect heavy hitters inside so we'll need to be prepared for a tough fight here."
Albert Cooper
 player, 467 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 17:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
When Kate spoke up, Albert's face showed concern. "We got some folk that should be able ta help. But...what happened out there?"

The cowboy nodded thoughtfully at Bryan's plan, considering where he might be best deployed. Given the presence of the special bullets designed for Murphy, they might be best served by spreading those out just a little.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 165 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Wed 16 Sep 2020
at 00:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland, in response to Ranger Lee's query of just how to get the tallow down Murphy's throat, offered helpfully, "At a guess, based on your past work, Ah would say you'll start by hitting him repeatedly in the head...  Ah'm shuah you'll work out the next step after that.  If it would be helpful, Ah can also shoot him a few times with various interesting munitions"

He glanced over to Kate, then slowly over to Albert as he seemed to be asking about how "the plan" went.  Yet more helpful offerings, "Well...  Theah was a furious exchange of skilled gunfiah...  Then both combatants walked away.  Well, limped... Quite the sight really, if a bit...ah...inconclusive..."  To Kate, he quickly added with a hand held up defensively, "Not foah lack of trying.  That was....a lot of lead..."
Kansas Kate
 player, 536 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 01:32
XII - A Heart of Thorns
She shook her head.  "Ya don't have ta sugar coat it Doc, ah tried, that's true.  Ah botched it royal is also true.  Ah weren't no count.  But ah don't regret it none, th' payoff were good an' the loss patenshul weren't much, anyone who done any figurin' woulda made th' same bet."

She stared off.  "Nothin' ah could ever do will ever mattah, but that don't count neither."  She said it wistfully, like it was some deeply profound insight missing its context.  And maybe to her in particular, it was.
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 42 posts
 Roving Wolf
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 02:04
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Quietly, Roving Wolf approaches Kansas Kate. He mutters a few words, his deeply lined face pinched with concentration, then places his hand on the outlaw’s lingering wound. Kansas Kate feels a sudden jolt of warmth and when the aging Comanche shaman removes his hand, her injury has vanished.

20:49, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 7,4 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Tribal Medicine.

Casts Greater Healing.

Power Points expended: 10

Henry McCarty
 NPC, 30 posts
 William Bonney
 Billy the Kid
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 02:04
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”Right after we deal with anyone that comes running to put out the fire, we’ll give our attention to this door on the west side of the house,” Bonney says, ”If we can hold there, and Roberts and the warriors can keep watch on the stables and the back of the place, with the rest of you goin’ in the front, that oughta hem in Murphy and those with him good and tight. Leave him nowhere to run.”

The Kid grins. ”Course, if it gets out of hand inside, just holler. We’ll be glad to join in.”
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 20 posts
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:26
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett, who has been silently listening to the discussion, speaks up. ”I think it’s the best plan, and the best use of everyone here who’s volunteered, that we can hope for.”

He nods at Lee. ”We’d best ride in groups. Each one approach the ranch from side they’re attacking from.”

“Once we’re in place, we’ll use the wellhouse being lit up as our signal to move.”


He nods at the gathering, then makes his way to his mount.
Henry McCarty
 NPC, 31 posts
 William Bonney
 Billy the Kid
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:26
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bonney falls in beside Garrett, a grin on his face. ”’Scuse me for askin’, Sheriff,” he says, ”but does this mean we’re friends now? Us and the law?”
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 21 posts
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:26
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett nods as he steps into the saddle. ”Of course it does, Billy,” Garrett answers, ”Of course it does.”
Marshal
 GM, 791 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The house that L.G. Murphy calls home is a stark sight, seemingly rising out of a barren patch of land, spartan despite its size. The sharp angled walls and surrounding grounds are free of anything welcoming, any of the small touches or adornments that might identify it as a dwelling that is appreciated and esteemed by those that reside there. It is merely functional in its construction, the sight of its dark, slightly weathered walls reminding the riders of a fort, or even a stockade.

Halting a fair distance away, the lead group of riders can see that both the ranch house and bunkhouse are well lit. Most of the windows glow with light and lanterns are hung on the exterior of both structures. The other buildings, the barn and wellhouse, are dark.

Lena Bauer produces a spyglass from her saddle bag which she uses to survey the property, before offering it to anyone who desires a closer look. As Tom Horn had warned, the approach to the property is absent of cover. Only a few clumps of brush, some low rocks, and half a dozen tumbleweeds occupy the vacant stretch of land. Those that study the buildings can see a lone cowboy seated on the steps of the bunkhouse and three riflemen at the main house, two posted on the upstairs balcony, one on the porch below.

The wind from the mountains, a near constant presence in the Rio Bonito Valley, is still. Beyond what they have already observed, the riders see no other signs of activity at the Murphy Ranch.
Bryan Lee
 player, 474 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 19:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"They've got a guard up, though maybe not as much as if they'd known we'd strike tonight. If they don't shoot first, I'll offer an option to surrender - one that I don't believe will be accepted. If they let off a shot, it's guns hot from then on out - with a priority on getting into that house. Once the lead starts flyin', hopefully Mr. Bonney and his boys will make things even hotter and we'll have enough of a distraction to split their forces and we can push in."

He looked to Garrett to read the man's thoughts. "Of course, if you think differently Sheriff, maybe we just ride in with guns hot."

OOC:

With the general lack of cover, and us able to see the riflemen and cowboy out there, am I correct in assuming it is likely they see us as well?

Marshal
 GM, 794 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 21:26
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Not yet. The group of riders is far enough back from the house that they are still under cover of darkness at this point. Everyone has observed what they have by the benefit of Bauer’s spyglass.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 22 posts
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 21:32
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”Had I been doing this even a short time ago, without a star pinned to my chest, I would have favored riding in there, guns blazing,” Garrett says, “But, like you, I’m the law now, and I feel as if we have to give Murphy the chance to do the right thing, even if there’s little chance he’ll avail himself of it.”
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 169 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 02:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland pulled on a pair of odd goggles fronted with parabolic dishes.  The whole thing made him look more than a little owlish in the dim dusk-light.  Leaving the others with the spyglass to look over the ranch, he took a look at the general area around them to make sure they were not the only things sneaking through the dark.

He did suggest, "Pa-haps we simply ride in slowly and dramatically.  Give them plenty of time to see us coming and make their legally inadvisable choices.  We ah, aftah awl, supposed to attract attention.  And bullets, no doubt."  His voice dropped off a bit quieter, more of an aside to...someone else, "Yes.  Of co-ase we'll send bullets back...  polite thing to do...  better to give than to receive...  decieve..."
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 101 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 17:12
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”I don’t want to talk out of turn or anything,” Bauer says, ”but if we’re gonna go order Murphy to surrender, I reckon we need to ride up as close to that house as we can manage. Since it’s the only cover, we’ll need to make a dash for the porch, or the bunkhouse, once the bullets start flyin’”

”There’s only four of those fellas out there. I imagine we could take care of ‘em pretty quick. At the least, send ‘em lookin’ for somethin’ to duck behind.”

Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 23 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 17:12
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”That is odd, Ranger. Murphy having only a few guards. Maybe he took that ruse about Angus pretty seriously,” Garrett says.

”The doctor here may have the best idea. Ride up slowly. Make it clear we’re here to make a legal demand of Murphy. See if we can get him, or anyone else in there, talkin’”

He looks to Lee. ”I plan to follow your lead. You know Murphy’s wrongdoings better than I do, though I’ll make it clear that the law here in Lincoln County is present to assist you in arresting Murphy and his accomplices.”
Bryan Lee
 player, 475 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 19:06
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"I think that the slow and obvious approach is the way to go. Not necessarily slow, but deliberate all the same. Enough that they hear the hooves, and look our way. Maybe loud enough that we take their eyes away from anything else that may be occurring on their property, and long enough that we give anyone else the time they need to do whatever it is they will - and get good and close as the good Deputy here suggests. I'll announce our presence then, and offer a fair trial to be conducted outside of Lincoln County to any that surrender. And to any outlaws that quit the field at the outset other than Murphy, I'll offer a three day head start before I begin pursuit."

"Murphy ain't gonna accept it, Sheriff. His list of crimes is long and spans beyond his time here in the Confederacy, even though the ones he's committed here are probably the most heinous and of most significance to the good folks of Lincoln. He's a zealot of the highest order, and he's bought into some paranormal delusions of grandeur that he things he can achieve by consorting with all kinda things. But maybe some others think twice about their choices of allies."

Whenever they all seemed ready, and if there weren't objections, he would suggest they proceed with their plan.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:33, Fri 02 Oct 2020.

Kansas Kate
 player, 539 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 00:12
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate said nothing, but she inventoried her wide assortment of claimed weapons.  She had the Schofield and her Winchester loaded, and she wedged the shotgun in too.  If they got close in, it would be better than either.  If they had to go in, it would make a good key.

She only sighed a little.  The Ranger had said it true and better than she could.  She had tried.  God knew she had tried.

Why am I here? She wondered.  She didn't fit in with this any more.  Any of these people were as dangerous as her if not moreso, and her duel in the street had showed her the hard way she'd lost any edge she'd ever had.  She might have been deadly with that gun once, but no longer.  Going around the brink of death and coming back had given her one thing, but it had ruined all her grit and killer instinct.  Well, too late to debate it now.  This had to be done.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 24 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 23:38
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett is silent for a moment as he considers all that Lee has told him. ”Alright,” he says, ”Let’s see this done.”

Motioning for the other riders to follow, he prompts his horse forward at a slow walk.
Marshal
 GM, 795 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 23:38
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The group of riders comes into view of the ranch house, the orange glow of the burning lanterns illuminating the scene like a full harvest moon. The three riflemen standing guard at the house itself shoulder their weapons, but do not raise them, watching the approaching gathering warily. Only the man seated at the bunkhouse seems to register real alarm, standing as he catches sight of the posse, his eyes growing wide as they draw close.


A tense silence lingers over the scene briefly, until the rifleman posted at the front door speaks up. “What’s your business here?” he demands gruffly.
Kansas Kate
 player, 540 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 00:34
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate turned it on.  She allowed herself to chuckle.  The old Kansas Kate would have said something derogatory about his genitals, but she figured it was better to let the Ranger make his play and not steal his thunder.  If they weren't having it though, she was going to see if she could have some fun with them.

Honestly, in their position, she wasn't sure if she'd take the deal or not. It was so weird being on the other side of one of these things.
Bryan Lee
 player, 476 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 17:44
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee dismounted and walked up a pace, but not so close as to cause any alarm. "At my whistle, get started," he said at a low voice meant only for the ears of his companions.

Facing the house, he began his announcement in a loud voice.

"My name is Bryan Lee of the Texas Rangers, and by the authority given to me by the CSA, I'm here to offer the former Union Cavalryman known as Mr. William Preston Longley, known to you under the false name of L. G. Murphy, the opportunity to surrender himself peacefully to arrest for crimes committed in New Mexico, Texas, and beyond," he said. "I will take him under my custody, for transportation outside of Lincoln County, with the promise of a fair trial."

"Convey him that message and let me know his answer."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:47, Fri 02 Oct 2020.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 170 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 18:38
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland trotted along with the others towards the ranch.  He stuck to the left side of the group, his lightning gun held ready in his free hand.  During the ride up to the ranch, he kept the Owl Eyes down so that he could keep a good eye out in the darkness.

Supposing nothing struck his attention, the Doctor was more than happy to lift the goggles back up onto his hat as they rode into the ranch proper.  To any of Murphy's folk on his side of the possee, Wayland lightly tapped the edge of his hat in greeting before settling his odd gun into his hands more comfortably.  But with a lot of implied meaning...
Marshal
 GM, 796 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 23:11
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The rifleman works the lever of his rifle, his fellow guards following suit on the balcony above. The man in front of the bunkhouse draws a pistol, but does not raise it, pounding on the door behind him with his free hand.

” You came to the wrong place to try and make demands, lawman,” the guard on the porch drawls, ” Now if you’ve got an ounce of sense...”

A jubilant howl, akin to a battle cry, sounds from the darkness west of the residence, the dense shadows quickly dissipating as the wellhouse bursts into flame. The yell is drowned out by a cacophony of gunshots, pistols and long arms fired upward into the night sky.

OOC: Everyone kindly provide me with an Initiative draw. Also, please give me a Notice roll as well. Dr. Wayland, as you’re striving to be watchful through your nightvision goggles, you can add +2 to your Notice roll.
Bryan Lee
 player, 478 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 00:56
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Must be the beast Murphy keeps on this property," he called to his companions. He couldn't see anything, but he waited in silence for something to happen.

"Looks like Bonney's distraction worked out. Now...we gotta get into that house. They've been given a chance to walk. Light up any hostiles we encounter."



OOC:

Notice 2
Initiative 9C

19:52, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 9C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

19:51, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:44, Sun 04 Oct 2020.

Kansas Kate
 player, 542 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L#
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 15:05
XII - A Heart of Thorns
10:04, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 4,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Notice.

Kansas Kate whooped, she couldn't help it.  The fact it all went to hell so quickly just tickled her.

10:05, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: JH using the Deadlands system.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 171 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 02:56
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland was starting to lift his goggles away, but might have caught something interesting....

Initiative - 4H
Notice (now with +2) - 8!

22:50, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 8,4 using d6+2,d6+2.  Notice!

22:48, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: 4H, 3H using a deck of 54 cards.  Level Headed Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 799 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 03:21
XII - A Heart of Thorns
21:46, Today: Marshal drew the single card: QD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

21:47, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Riflemen.

21:48, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - ???????

21:57, Today: Pony Diehl drew the single card: KC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

21:53, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 2,9 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+3)9.  Notice.

21:54, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Notice.

Initiative Order

KC - Pony Diehl
QD - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)
JH - Kansas Kate
9C - Bryan Lee
8S - ???????
6D - Riflemen
4H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland


The lone cowboy at the bunkhouse pounds on the door a second time, his furious knocking abruptly interrupted by several shots slamming into the walls of the building, one blowing out the glass of a window. The riders recognize the attack as the work of Henry Cooper and his ranch hands, shooting at the quarters from the cover of darkness.

The cowboy doesn’t hesitate to seek cover, dashing away from the bunkhouse door to the porch of the ranch house, leveling his pistol at posse as he reaches his destination.

Even in the midst of the chaos created by the Regulators, both Garrett and Bauer frown, their attention seemingly drawn by something in the center of the yard in front of Murphy’s home.


Garrett and Bauer will hold their actions.

It’s your turn, Kansas Kate.

Kansas Kate
 player, 545 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L#
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 01:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate figured she owed him.  "Hey Pony, Git Along!"  With a loud whoop she drew that scattergun, spin-cocked it, drew a bead and fired at the man as he tried to take cover.

Kansas Kate will Quick Draw that shotgun I've been carrying around for donkey's years now.

All right, I will use it as a RoF 2 weapon, which will mean -2, I'm still on a horse for another -2, but I'm firing buckshot for +2.  So it nets to -2.

20:26, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 5,6,0 using d12-2,d12-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,8,2.  Pew Pew.

two hits!

20:27, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 15 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+5)11,2.  Damage 1.

20:27, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 7 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3,3.  Damage 2.

I hereby nominate myself for the I Might Be Useful In a Fight If I Could Ever Roll More Than Mathematically Improbably Pathetic Damage award.


After the explosion, she broke the action open, and with a smooth motion pulled the hot just fired shells and shoved in a replacement load.

I seem to recall I only had 4 rounds of ammunition for this, so one more blast and it's done.

Bryan Lee
 player, 479 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 04:31
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC:

I'm going to Hold my action for the moment and wait to see how things shape up - but I may choose to use it to interrupt any hostile action against Bryan or the others with him.

Marshal
 GM, 806 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 04:03
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The scattergun’s blast shreds most of Diehl’s vest and shirt, tearing a number of vicious wounds across the outlaw’s chest and arm. The force of the shot slams him into the ranch house wall, where he struggles to remain upright, his pistol dangling from his blood soaked hand.

OOC: Diehl is shaken with three wounds.

The tumbleweeds roll toward the riders with sudden speed, leaving no doubt that they are able to move entirely of their own volition. Each of the posse members glimpse hundreds of tiny spikes lining the inner surface of the desiccated plants’ branches, their appearance more akin to jagged fangs than thorns. As the weeds surge forward, their branches begin to stretch outward, much like the jaws of a ravenous predator.

OOC:  Garrett and Bauer will take their held actions.

Garrett takes aim at one of the weeds with his rifle and squeezes the trigger, blasting the creature into fragments.

22:48, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 6,4 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,4.  Shooting.

22:48, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 9 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Damage.


Bauer draws her pistol and fires at the closest of the tumbleweeds, but her shot lands short, biting into the dry earth.

22:52, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2.  Shooting.

OOC: Ranger Lee, I’m going to give you the chance to act, if you want. If you want to continue to hold, I’ll move forward with the tumbleweeds’ attacks, then ask again before the riflemen take their turn.

The tumbleweeds have a Parry of 7 and a Toughness of 3.

The riflemen have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

Bryan Lee
 player, 480 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L1
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 18:39
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The Ranger was so focused on the gunmen that he almost didn't make out that the tumbleweeds were moving of their own volition until they were upon him, with only the gunfire from his fellow lawmen to alert him to them. Still, he had no desire to be a clear target for the outlaws on the porch of the house, or those on the balcony above. He moved past the tumbleweed that remained, darting toward the porch aggressively, finding the man that Kansas Kate had just shot with his first punch, pounding him in the face, then cracking him back with his elbow for good measure before spinning up to get the remaining rifleman on the porch, socking him right in the kisser.

"Longley, get out here you cowardly sonuvabitch!" he yelled out, hunkering down against the building.

OOC:
  • I'm going to use the Arcane Inspiration Adventure Card to cast Quickness as a Free Action this round, leaving Bryan with two actions.
  • For the first action, Damage Field and move.
  • For the second action, three good Wild Attack strikes against the guys close to the house (Base Attack, Wing Chun, and Frenzy), which benefit from Martial Artist, Damage Field, Wild Attack, and Brawler.
  • The first two punches against Pony (15 and 13 damage), and the third against the other Riflemen (20 damage).
  • That puts Lee at Parry 5 until the next turn.
  • If the tumbleweed gets a free strike against him as he runs past (he'll try to avoid it if he can) then it will take 2d6 damage from the damage field.

Attacks: 9, 9, 7 [All hits, no raises]
Damage: 15, 13, 20
Initiative: (Next Round) Red Joker!

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
11:29, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Quickness.
11:30, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Damage Field.
11:37, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,3 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).
11:37, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
11:37, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,5 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack).
11:40, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 15 using d8+d4+2d6+4, rerolling max.  Damage 1 (Martial Artist, Damage Field, Brawler, Wild Attack).
11:41, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 13 using d8+d4+2d6+4, rerolling max.  Damage 2 (Martial Artist, Damage Field, Brawler, Wild Attack).
11:41, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 20 using d8+d4+2d6+4, rerolling max.  Damage 3 (Martial Artist, Damage Field, Brawler, Wild Attack).
13:44, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: RJ! using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.



This message was last edited by the player at 18:48, Tue 13 Oct 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 807 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 04:17
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The savagely wounded Diehl has barely found his balance when Lee is upon him. Although it is impossible to tell which of the lightning fast strikes is lethal, one of the blows causes the outlaw’s head to turn at an unnatural angle, the dry crack the unmistakable sound of the gunman’s neck snapping.

Diehl hasn’t yet toppled to the ground when Lee attacks the nearby rifleman, his punch caving in a portion of the guard’s forehead, along with most of his face. The man gurgles helplessly as he falls, blood spattering the planks of the porch as he lands heavily on his side.

There is no immediate answer to the Ranger’s shouted challenge. However, only a few paces from where Lee has knelt stands the front door of Murphy’s residence, light creeping out from beneath its lower edge.

Meanwhile, the predatory creatures that resemble tumbleweeds throw themselves at several of the riders, moving with surprising swiftness.

22:13, Today: Marshal rolled 5 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Attack - Tumbleweed.

One of the creatures hurls itself at Lena Bauer, but the deputy is able to turn her horse to one side and avoid the attack.

22:13, Today: Marshal rolled 22 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of (10+10+2)22.  Attack - Tumbleweed.

22:16, Today: Marshal rolled 10,1 using 2d4,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (4+3)7,3,1.  Damage - Tumbleweed.


The Sheriff is not as fortunate, another of the monsters managing to snag the lawman’s leg, opening a vicious wound in his thigh.

Garrett is shaken with one wound.

22:17, Today: Marshal rolled 4 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Attack  - Tumbleweed.


Even as she reloads, Kansas Kate catches sight of one of the tumbleweeds hurdling towards her and with a deft tug of the reins, moves herself and her mount out of the creature’s path.

22:17, Today: Marshal rolled 17 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of (10+7)17.  Attack - Tumbleweed.

22:18, Today: Marshal rolled 4,2 using 2d4,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3,2.  Damage - Tumbleweed.

22:19, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Bryan Lee, rolled 2 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Damage - Damage Field.


One of the monsters rolls after Lee, attacking the Ranger mere seconds after he disposes of the two gunmen on the porch. The tumbleweed is able to rake Lee’s leg with some of its spines, but the lawman reacts quickly enough to swat away several of the strange creature’s branches.

The attack will leave Lee shaken.

22:23, Today: Marshal rolled 4 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Attack - Tumbleweed.


The last of the tumbleweeds rushes toward Dr. Wayland, but the bounty hunter notices the creature’s change almost immediately, and easily avoids its assault.

”Git inside!” one of the riflemen on the balcony yells at his fellow guard, ”Let ‘em know what’s comin’!” The other rifleman does as he is told, bolting for the nearby door, and entering the house.

The remaining guard squeezes off a shot at Kansas Kate, but his aim is well off the mark, the bullet kicking up dust several paces behind her.

23:11, Today: Marshal rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Shooting - Rifleman.

Initiative Order

KC - Pony Diehl
QD - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)
JH - Kansas Kate
9C - Bryan Lee
8S - ???????
6D - Riflemen

4H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

Your turn, Dr. Wayland.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 173 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R3 B1 L0
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 02:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland was quite put out by the sudden unexpected assault of desiccated "vegetation".  Moreso because a lightning gun is not generally the most proper weapon  for engaging small targets the have gotten within biting range.  Once again, he found himself armed for the last war rather than the war he was now in.  He kept his lightning gun in his off hand, freeing the other to pull his back up pistol.  With this, he took quick aim and snapped a shot at the...whatever it was...

Draw and Fire on the Tumbleweed - 4 to Hit, 3 Damage.  Flash Round - Agility or be Blinded...if it even has "eyes" or anything that might be effected by a burst of light.

Next Round - 9D

22:23, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 9D using a deck of 54 cards.  Level Headed.
22:23, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the single card: 4C using a deck of 54 cards.  Next Round!
22:20, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 3 using 2d4, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Flash Round - POP!
22:19, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 4,3 using d10-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  BANG!

This message was last edited by the player at 02:25, Fri 16 Oct 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 810 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 01:03
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland’s well placed shot blasts several branches off of the attacking monster, its movement slowing visibly in the wake of the bright strobe of light from the flash round.

19:40, Today: Marshal rolled 9 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+3)9.  Agility - Tumbleweed.

The tumbleweed manages to avoid being blinded, but the injury leaves it shaken.

19:35, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 10S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

19:35, Today: Marshal drew the single card: QH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Rifleman.

19:36, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 3S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Tumbleweeds.

19:51, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Kansas Kate, drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

RJ! - Bryan Lee
QH - Rifleman
10S - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)
9D - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
8H - Kansas Kate
3S - Tumbleweeds

The tumbleweeds have a Parry of 7 and a Toughness of 3. There are five tumbleweeds still active. The one nearest Dr. Wayland is shaken.

The tumbleweed that attacked Pat Garrett is in melee combat with the Sheriff. Any shooters that attempt to fire at that tumbleweed will be shooting into melee. Should a Shooting roll come up as a 1, it will indicate that an unintended target (the Sheriff) was hit.

The rifleman has a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

Ranger Lee, it’s your turn.

Bryan Lee
 player, 483 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 21:15
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC:

Lee will go On Hold until the Rifleman takes his turn. I'll start preparing an action to go after that.

Marshal
 GM, 813 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 17:28
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The lone rifleman on the balcony shifts his aim as the posse members below contend with the tumbleweed creatures. Finding a clear shot, he takes a deep breath and fires, the bullet slamming into Lena Bauer’s shoulder.

Bauer grits her teeth at the injury, but remains mounted, her focus still on the tumbleweeds.

11:12, Today: Marshal rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Rifleman - Shooting.

11:13, Today: Marshal rolled 10 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Rifleman - Damage.

The shot leaves Bauer shaken with one wound.

Ranger, per you request, I’m going to let you act prior to moving forward with the initiative order.

Bryan Lee
 player, 484 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 17:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
With the two gunmen on the ground level down, Bryan turned to see how the rest of his allies fared when he was struck by one of the tumbleweeds. He swore extremely profanely in Cantonese as he was struck by one of them which nearly knocked him senseless before recovering himself to take a quick strike at it. Looking out, he saw many more of the tumbleweeds than he had thought there were when he had made this blind rush to the porch. He cursed himself for his foolishness, wading back out into the fray to ensure those that had shown him the trust of coming with him would not be left behind.

He moved from tumbleweed to tumbleweed, striking quick and deft blows at them, dashing back and forth between his allies to strike at them, and when they were near each other, to strike them one after another.

OOC:

In short, I'm doing what Bryan does best: taking out lots of Extras. Although, with the insane rolls plus the Red Joker plus the powers in use right now, I think this would have done for anything. Could have used these damage rolls against Dolan. And probably in the future, Murphy. But I got em now, and got the Joker now, so don't want to waste it.

Attacks benefit from Improved Frenzy, Superior Kung Fu: Wing Chun, Quickness, and Wild Attack.
Damage benefits from Wild Attack, Damage Field, Raises, Martial Artist, Joker. I forgot to add the +2 from Brawler, but don't think it matters.

Spirit to Unshake: 13
Attacks: 23, 12, 16, 12, 11, 22
Damages: 32, 39, 42, 31, 31, (shouldn't need the 6th unless a new enemy pops up)
Initiative: JH


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
<small>16:28, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: JH using a deck of 54 cards.
16:27, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 31 using d8+d4+d6+4+2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+6)14,3,3,4,3.  Damage 5.
16:27, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 31 using d8+d4+d6+4+2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+6)14,(4+3)7,2,3,1.  Damage 4.
16:27, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 42 using d8+d4+d6+4+2d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+5)21,2,(6+4)10,3,2.  Damage 3.
16:27, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 39 using d8+d4+d6+4+2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3,4,(6+5)11,(6+6+3)15.  Damage 2.
16:26, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 32 using d8+d4+d6+4+2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1,2,5,(6+6+5)17.  Damage 1.
16:24, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 22,6 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Frenzy).
16:24, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 11,11 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wing Chun).
16:24, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,12 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting 2.
16:23, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 16,8 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Frenzy).
16:23, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 12,8 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wing Chun).
16:23, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 13,23 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting 1.
16:19, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 13,4 using d6+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Spirit.<small>


Marshal
 GM, 814 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 18:53
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Moving with lightning speed, Lee first smashes the tumbleweed that attacked him into a scattering of broken twigs before moving into the field in front of the ranch house, winding in between his fellow riders, attacking the remaining bloodthirsty creatures with ruthless efficiency. In a matter of seconds, each of the remaining monsters has been literally destroyed, their bodies reduced to brittle fragments by blows that were powerful enough to shatter human bones.

Wide eyed at the Ranger’s burst of speed, Pat Garrett gives his fellow lawman a nod of thanks after Lee disposes of the tumbleweed that had latched on to his leg.

OOC: All of the remaining tumbleweeds have been killed. Big time.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 102 posts
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 18:54
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The tumbleweeds disposed of, Bauer returns her attention to the guard who wounded her. Raising her Peacemaker, she snaps off a return shot.

13:22, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 4,3 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Spirit

Bauer is able to lose her shaken condition.

13:22, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,25 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+6+6+6+2)26.  Shooting.

13:26, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 7,3 using 2d6+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4,3.  Damage.


The bullet hits the rifleman in the upper lip, sending his front teeth flying out of his mouth before blowing most his brains out onto the balcony behind him. He sags forward, tumbling over the balcony’s railing and landing on the dirt below with a dull thud.

OOC: Combat over, for the moment.

Although the battle within the yard of Murphy’s estate is halted, bedlam continues all around it. Near continuous volleys of gunfire continue to be exchanged between Henry Cooper and his hands and the occupants of the bunkhouse. To the west, another series of wild yells pierce the night as the southern wall of the barn is suddenly engulfed in flames.

For the moment, no one emerges from the ranch house to challenge the posse.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:01, Thu 22 Oct 2020.

Kansas Kate
 player, 549 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 01:01
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate leapt down, weapons in hand.

"Smoke 'em out, talk 'em out, or say hell with it and run onto their pitchforks, them's th' options."  She surmised.  "If'n ya'll don't got a better idea, ah got an okie doke.  Can't say it'll work, but mebbe it'll be worth a damn."
Bryan Lee
 player, 485 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Sat 24 Oct 2020
at 22:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"I'm up for ideas, let's talk on the way and at least get up on that porch. Don't wanna be sitting ducks out here in case there's more that come for us," he said. If Bauer or Garrett seem to need any assistance, Lee would offer it.

He looked around to see what else he might be able to tell about the state of things on the premises. He had heard other gunshots in the distance, but that was to be expected.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 175 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Sun 25 Oct 2020
at 04:20
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland paused a moment as his mind worked to really understand what just happened as Lee blurred through and fought off the....tumbleweeds...  He gave up.  Not the time.  His pistol was returned to its holster and he dismounted as well.  The lightning gun was lifted to his shoulder and he began to work his way towards the main house and the porch, as indicated by the ranger.  The business end of the strange weapon swept back and forth as the bounty hunter watched for the next surprise...
Kansas Kate
 player, 550 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 01:48
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Yep.  Let's not count our chicken 'fore it's in th' pot..."  Kansas Kate moved forward, shotgun at the ready.  She was thinking of it more as a breaching aid than a weapon at the moment.
Bryan Lee
 player, 486 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 18:23
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Alright, what's this..okie-doke, as you call it?" he asked Kansas Kate.
Kansas Kate
 player, 551 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 00:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Ya might want to cotton yer ears Ranger, yer about ta hear some un-Christian language."  She responded with a wicked grin.  "Ah don't know if this'll work worth a damn or what ya'll wanna do with it, but let's give 'er a try."

She then proceeded to blow on her fingers, producing a very loud, shrill whistle, which she followed up with a long, loud hog call.

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOIE!  PIG PIG PIG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOIE!"

Pretty sure if anyone was inside they'd heard that, she began her tirade, working in every foul thing she could.

"Wake up in there ya peckerless sons of goatlovers, ah got scores ta settle with some o'ya'll, or are ya'll too busy tyin' ribbons in her hair and pullin' on yer petticoats?  Ah swear to my time ah ain't never seen a sorrier ass outfit, ah met fatass old Dodge City whores wit' three kinds of th' clap that could put up a better fight'n this!

"What'sa matter are ya too busy cryin'?  Ah hell ah know what it is, ya'll want to take one more turn ruttin' in yer sister 'fore ya cain't no mo'.  Hell ya might as well it's yer last chance ennyhow.  Hey sister, if'n yer in there, grab a dollop of some of that grease they's all covered with an' spread it, it'll keep 'em from ya!  Or hell, grab th' soap an' just wave it around, they's 'fraid of that.  Ah never met men what smelt so bad, good Lawd it's no wonder they has ta abuse family ta get their little twigs wet.

"If'n tweren't fer th' Gawd Awful Smell, wouldn't be so bad ta be a whore round here, ya could let all these fellers have a turn at once and not feel a damn thing!  Hell a ride down a bumpy road would give more satisfaction 'n all these fellers could!  Ya'd have to make 'em wear a gunny sack on their heads though, ain't a one of 'em ain't got a face better'n a dime's worth of dog meat!  Sorry ass yellow bellied sap suckers!  Ah've seen better last stands at prayer meetin's!  If brains were whiskey ya'll couldn't get a baby drunk!"

She paused occasionally, trying to get someone in the house to lose his cool and yell back.  It might not count for much, but she was hoping that someone in there would lose his cool and give away his position, possibly distracting the others and revealing their plans.  Or maybe not.  Either way it was the best idea she had, and Kansas Kate, well Kansas Kate could do this all day.  She hadn't even insulted their mothers yet.
Bryan Lee
 player, 487 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 03:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"I just met her on the stage coach not too many days back," Lee said quietly to the others in the pauses in her streaks of insults.
Marshal
 GM, 816 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 17:39
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Everyone gathered on the porch or in the adjacent yard kindly give me a Notice roll.

If you succeed, provide me with an Agility roll. If you have the Dodge edge, you may add +1 to the roll. If you have Improved Dodge, add +2.

Bryan Lee
 player, 488 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 17:42
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC:

Notice: 4
Agility: 4

12:42, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max.  Agility.
12:41, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.

Kansas Kate
 player, 552 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 00:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
19:27, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 5,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Notice.

19:27, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 21,4 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (12+9)21,4.  Agility.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 176 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 03:11
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland shrugged slightly in response to the Ranger's admission and said quietly, "Frankly, Ah find her honesty and candah quite refreshing...  Does not mince her words a'tall."

23:06, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Agility!

23:06, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Notice!

Marshal
 GM, 818 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 21:43
XII - A Heart of Thorns
09:46, Yesterday: Patrick Garrett rolled 4,4 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Notice.

09:47, Yesterday: Patrick Garrett rolled 1,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  Agility.

09:51, Yesterday: Lena Bauer rolled 1,11 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+5)11.  Notice.

09:51, Yesterday: Lena Bauer rolled 5,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Agility.


The right side of the ranch house’s front door explodes into splinters. As it flies open, several more holes are blown through the polished wood, sending splintered pieces of pine flying in every direction. This is accompanied by a roar, the sound of gunshot after gunshot in rapid succession.

The members of the posse all react quickly enough to clear the doorway, avoiding the lethal storm of lead. As they move, several of the riders get a glimpse inside; a wide hallway, finely furnished; a broad stairwell leading up to railed landing. And at the top of the stairs, a Gatling Gun, its operator flanked by a rifleman on each side.

”Seems like Mr. Murphy’s pretty serious about keeping out unwanted visitors,” Garrett calls out over the din.

OOC: Everyone give me a fresh initiative draw.

For reference, from the front door, the Gatling operator and his two companions are at medium range and behind light cover.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 177 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L0
Sat 31 Oct 2020
at 04:25
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland ducked to the side and braced against the destructive onslaught of the Gatling...  He quietly considered his life choices which have lead him, again, to being on the wrong end of a full-size Gatling...

Initiative: KS

00:09, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: KS, 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative draw with Level Headed.

Bryan Lee
 player, 489 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 02:36
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bryan uttered a few coarse oaths in English and one in Cantonese as he ducked to the side.

"Well, he's racking up a list of crimes here, Sheriff. If there are enough left standing your jails will be full to bursting. Might even get some bounties outta this expedition, Doc."

OOC:

At this rate, I will have to pay the piper when we get to Murphy and I draw a 2 of Clubs.

20:32, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: BJ! using a deck of 54 cards.

Marshal: About how far are we from the gunmen in terms of movement?

This message was last edited by the player at 02:41, Mon 02 Nov 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 820 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 16:21
XII - A Heart of Thorns
09:28, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Kansas Kate, drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

09:51, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 5D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

09:53, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 5S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Gunmen.

Seriously? Now all I need is a pair and I’ve got a Full House.

Initiative Order

BJ! - Bryan Lee
KS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
5S - Gunmen (Gatling Operator, Rifleman)
5D - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)
5C - Kansas Kate

For reference, from the front door, the Gatling operator and his two companions are at medium range and behind light cover. Each gunman has a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

To speak in tabletop terms, from the front door to the top of the stairs when the Gatling Gun is positioned is a distance of 20 inches/paces.

Your turn, Ranger Lee.

Bryan Lee
 player, 491 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R2 B1 L1
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 18:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bryan didn't particularly care for shooting folks. He acknowledge that firearms were a tremendously useful tool in the realm of survival and law enforcement alike, but for his personal tastes it removed him too far from the doing of the violence itself. He would prefer in all cases that things be done peaceably, but the personal nature of hand to hand combat was such that it would make him think twice about it.

But he knew when a tool was the best thing for the job, and he couldn't close the distance between himself and the gunmen without getting poked full of holes, and so he pulled out his Dragoon and fired a shot at the individual operating the gatling.

Once he struck his target he moved for the closest cover he could find.

OOC:

Bryan shoots the Gatling operator, then he will try to find a place to get some cover.

Shooting: 5 (3 [Dice] + 3 [Red Chip] + 2 [Joker] - 2 [Range] - 1 [Cover])
Damage: 9


12:04, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Red Chip.
10:35, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Shooting.
12:12, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Colt Dragoon Damage + Joker Damage Boost.

23:27, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 4D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:30, Thu 05 Nov 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 822 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 15:49
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee’s shot strikes the Gatling operator just below the cheekbone, snapping the man’s head back and sending him stumbling backwards. He only manages a few steps before he collapses on his side, blood oozing from his mouth and nose.

OOC: Two riflemen remain on the balcony. The Gatling gun is currently unmanned.

Initiative Order

BJ! - Bryan Lee
KS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
5S - Gunmen (Gatling Operator, Rifleman)
5D - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)
5C - Kansas Kate

For reference, from the front door, the two riflemen are at medium range and behind light cover. Each gunman has a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

Your turn, Dr. Wayland.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 179 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 05:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland stepped away from the wall, just a bit, and certainly not out into any lanes of fire.  Just to give him enough room to perform a rather odd clog dancing maneuver involving a patterned heel-toe move, followed by a hard stomp with each booted foot.  Gears whirr and springs uncoil...  A pair of springy steel "blades" snap out from his pant legs and lift him up from the ground.  As he rises, he bends his knees in a curious bouncing, bent crouch.  With his new, longer, weirdly bouncy stride, the Doctor maneuvered back next to the door...testing the balance...  Obviously getting ready to charge in...

Activating Speed Device - Success and Raise.  Speed Doubled and Run as a Free action.

Next Initiative - AH

00:17, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: 10D, AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Next Card(s).

00:04, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 20,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+4)20,1.  Weird Science - Terrestrial Locomotion Enhancement!



Marshal
 GM, 825 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 15:09
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bauer watches Dr. Wayland's legs sprout the strange, steel devices. She blinks, opens her mouth, then closes it, returning her attention to the shooters inside the house.

One of the riflemen dashes over to the Gatling gun, getting behind it and aiming it once more at the house's front entrance.

The other rifleman on the landing fires at the open front door, the bullet blasting splinters of pine from the door frame.

08:52, Today: Marshal rolled 1 using 1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Shooting - Rifleman.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 103 posts
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 15:10
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bauer fires a shot at the shooter behind the Gatling gun, but her bullet ricochets off of the metal body of the large weapon.

08:56, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,1 using 1d8-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Shooting.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 25 posts
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 15:10
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett also fires at the Gatling gunner, managing to graze the man's shoulder. The rifleman yelps in a combination of surprise and pain.

08:57, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 5,1 using 1d10-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Shooting.

08:59, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 6 using 2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.  Damage.

The rifleman at the Gatling gun is shaken.

Marshal
 GM, 826 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 15:10
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

BJ! - Bryan Lee
KS - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
5S - Gunmen (Gatling Operator, Rifleman)
5D - Allies (Garrett, Bauer)

5C - Kansas Kate

For reference, from the front door, the Gatling operator and his two companions are at medium range (for pistols) and behind light cover. Each gunman has a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

To speak in tabletop terms, from the front door to the top of the stairs when the Gatling Gun is positioned is a distance of 20 inches/paces.

The rifleman behind the Gatling gun is shaken.

Your turn, Kansas Kate.

Kansas Kate
 player, 555 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L#
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 20:13
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Ah, ya gots me a present!  Ain't ya'll sweet!  Ya'll be careful an' don't hit mah new Gatlin' Gun now!"

Kansas Kate's levergun pivoted on, well, its lever.  She didn't like to do that, do it too often and you could damage the mechanism.  But sometimes you had to get the right gun into play fast.

The shotgun hit the deck, she'd only thought it would get her in the door maybe, and well, here she was.

Quick draw the old Winchester!  Kansas Kate has the power of carrying All The Guns!  But But she only has a logical way to carry the two, so I'm going to say she just drops the shotgun in the dirt, since that was sort of the plan anyway.

Assuming a -1 for the cover:

14:08, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 4,0 using d12-1,d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Precision Pew.

Should be a hit juuuust barely.

14:10, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 22 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(8+8+1)17.  .44-40 or Fight.

lol so all my disappointing damage rolls have been corrected at once

14:11, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: 6S using the Deadlands system.  Pick a Card Any Card.


"Hey peckerless!  Get off 'ah mah prop'rty!"
Marshal
 GM, 827 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 22:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As the rifleman behind the Gatling gun struggles to shift the weapon’s aim, Kansas Kate’s rifle cracks. The gunman freezes, looking down as blood begins to spread across the left side of his chest. His face frozen in an expression of shock, he slumps across the Gatling gun, unmoving.

Those on the porch hear the rush of footsteps from behind. Looking back, they see Tamsin River running to join them, the herbalist’s sleeves stained with blood from injuries she has attended to elsewhere in the battle.

16:29, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

16:30, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 10S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Rifleman.

16:37, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, drew the single card: 3D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

AH - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
10S - Rifleman
10D - Allies (Bauer, Garrett)
6S - Kansas Kate
4D - Bryan Lee
3D - Tamsin River

For reference, from the front door, the remaining rifleman is at medium range (for pistols) and behind light cover. The gunman has a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 5.

Dr. Wayland, you have the floor.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 180 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 03:40
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Having waited for a pause in the exchange of fire, Dr. Wayland suddenly ducked through the bullet riddled doorway.  Half bounding, half running, the bounty hunter sprang down the foyer for the stairs; which he reached with surprising speed.  Another bound took him half way up to the landing where the gunmen had been firing.

At some point during the run, Wayland had drawn a derringer.  He leveled the tiny pistol on the final gunman as he closed in and fired...


Move total - 17" which should put him 3" from the last gunman.

Derringer shot - 7 to Hit, 11 Damage + 5 SBT

Active Power - Speed - Doubled Move + Free Run Action.  19/20pp Round 1

Next Round Initiative - 10D

22:29, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: 10D, 4D using a deck of 54 cards.  Next Initiative Draw.
22:28, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 11,5 using 2d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8,3,5.  Regular Damage + SBT Explosion.
22:27, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5,2 using d10-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Derringer Shot!
22:23, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Free Running.

Tamsin River
 player, 227 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R4 B2 L0
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 13:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”I swear, some people are only alive through sheer stubbornness,” she says as she runs up. She’s out of breath and bloodied (not hers), but she’s alive. She gets her Colt Lightning ready just in case. ”Did I miss anything interesting?”
Marshal
 GM, 830 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 20:11
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Moving with great strides and surprising speed, Dr. Wayland ducks inside the bullet scarred entryway, bounding up the stairs before the lone rifleman can react. As the guard tries to shift his aim to the bounty hunter, Dr. Wayland levels his derringer at the man, shooting him precisely between the eyes.

A momentary silence overtakes the hall, the pause giving those who have sought entry the opportunity to take in their surroundings.

On the hall’s lower floor, two pairs of double doors stand ajar to the east and west. The eastern doors lead into what appears to be a well furnished sitting room, while to the west, the doorway opens into a dining room, which is dominated by a long polished oak table. The entry hall itself holds several pieces of handmade furniture; a hall tree, writing desk, serving table, and two sofas, each upholstered with deep blue fabric. Partially concealed behind the wide staircase are another pair of double doors, which are closed.

On the landing are a trio of doors, evenly spaced apart, all closed. At the eastern end of the landing, a hallway leads northward, deeper into the house.

At the moment, the house is still. From outside, the posse members hear a powerful chorus of howls from the north, their volume suggesting that they belong to a sizable pack of wolves, a gathering which is quickly approaching.

OOC: Combat halted (for now).

I will do my utmost to put together a map of the ranch house’s interior before the weekend is over.

Kansas Kate
 player, 557 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L#
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 02:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Ah suggest we get our asses in, an' do what which we can ta keep theirs out."  Kansas Kate suggested, almost casually.  "Lessen' ya wants ta funnel 'em in through here an' turn that Gatlin' on 'em."
Bryan Lee
 player, 494 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 21:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Miss River, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at the Sheriff and the Deputy, I'd be much obliged. I believe they've taken harm. But let's all get inside first and fortify this place best we can. Like Kate said, better to be indoors than out. We faced off against these wolves on the way here to Lincoln. If I recall, Mr. Garrett heard a voice encouraging them to attack us, so I've got no doubt they're here for us," he said.

"If you don't mind, Kate, might not be a bad idea to secure that Gatling. You're like to be a better shot with it than I am. Better one of us is in control of it than anyone else."

Moving in, he looked both east and west to see if there were any threats easily visible in either the sitting room or the dining room.

OOC:

Notice: 5

15:14, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.


Kansas Kate
 player, 558 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L#
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 02:48
XII - A Heart of Thorns
She started to bellow.  "Ya gotta say th' whole- ah never mind."  However it quickly trailed off, very uncharacteristically.

The outlaw figured that meant the plan was to funnel them in to the same trap, so she checked the Gatling gun, checking its ammunition supply and general readiness.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 181 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 04:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Once the final rifleman was down, Dr. Wayland returned his derringer to whatever secure vest pocket/holster he hides it in.  He reached down and made a few quick adjustments to the apparatuses strapped to his legs.  Once down, a quick two-step stomp locked the springs back into their places and himself to his normal height.

By that time, likely, Kate was joining him on the landing.  As she began to look over the machine gun, the bounty hunter watched for a few moments....trying to determine just how much familiarity the gunfighter has with mechanized guns.  Other than that, he would ward the landing with his lightning gun, keeping especial eye on the landing doors and the upstairs hall...
Marshal
 GM, 831 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 17 Nov 2020
at 22:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansa Kate finds the Gatling gun in good order, noting that it has been carefully maintained. She estimates that the weapon still has around sixty rounds loaded. Glancing down, the outlaw notices that the gun is attached to an elaborate trap door mechanism that appears to allow the weapon to be stored (and concealed) within a portion of the landing floor.

Watching the nearby doors and hallway closely, Dr. Wayland does not see, or hear, any new foes emerge at the moment, though the bounty hunter is entirely certain that enemies are very close at hand.

Aside from the lingering scent of cigar smoke, Lee discovers nothing of interest in the sitting room, the polished furnishings and wine colored wallpaper lending the spacious chamber an atmosphere perfect for plotting and negotiation. The dining room, similarly appointed, shows signs of neglect, dust clinging to most of the visible surfaces. However, the lawman’s eyes are immediately drawn to the center of the wide table that fills most of the space. A metal box has been placed there, its exterior crafted of hammered iron, its dull surface interrupted by a square grate, through which Lee can see sporadic bursts of blue sparks. On the device’s side, the handle of a crank turns slowly, seemingly moving of its own volition. The ranger can hear a low, steady hum coming from the strange square.

Garrett joins Kansas Kate and Dr. Wayland on the landing. Downstairs, Bauer uses a bandanna to wipe blood from her wound as she approaches the doors hidden behind the staircase. Pausing, she presses her ear to one of the doors, listening intently.

Outside, the howls and barks grow louder.
Kansas Kate
 player, 559 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L#
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 00:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Well, ain't mah ushyul style but ah have availed myself o' sech once when... uh..."  She let that trail off.  She was really not so proud of that any more.  Figuring on the inevitable, she judged the wolves' most likely point of entry and trained the gun, hoping the sights were zeroed, not that they were terribly precise to begin with.

Ah what did it matter she hardly used the sights on anything but a rifle anyway.
Tamsin River
 player, 228 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R4 B2 L0
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 11:36
XII - A Heart of Thorns
03:01, Today: Tamsin River rolled 8 using 1d8+2, rerolling max with rolls of 6.  Healing roll 2.
03:00, Today: Tamsin River rolled 7 using 1d8+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Healing roll 1.
03:26, Today: Tamsin River rolled 5 using 1d6 ((5)). Notice (listening at the door). In case I can hear anything as I patch up Bauer.



Anyone else might look frantic, but Tamsin moves with purpose. The gun goes away; she nods to Ranger Lee and glances over the room. Neither of them appear in danger of imminent death, and since Bauer is closest she’s the first one Tamsin goes to. She comes up in front of the deputy. ”You can continue with...” she gestures at her ear as she pulls the necessary herbs and dressings from her bag, curious as to what she’s listening for.

Once that’s done, it’s up the stairs to patch up the sheriff.
Bryan Lee
 player, 495 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 15:19
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Doc, there's some kinda contraption in here," he said, moving away from the thing until he was back in the main room.

"It's a metal box made of hammered iron. There's a grate on it, and I can see bursts of sparks comin' from the inside. There's a crank hande on it, and it is turning slowly, by itself. You reckon you can tell much by that? I'm not sure I wanna stay close to it in case it's the exploding type of thing."

He went over to the door that Bauer was listening by to see if he could hear anything from within either.

OOC:

Notice 4

09:18, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.



Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 182 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 18:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Wayland's attention whipped around at the Ranger's mention of a strange, crackly device.  Leaving Kate with the Sheriff and, eventually, Tamsin as back up, he moved quickly back down the stairs, "In general, Ah am not very keen on unknown devices in operation in my general vicinity..."  He moved for the room, and the contraption box in question.  As he stepped in, he did pause to check the doors and corners for any lingering n'er-do-wells.

So long as he finds none, Dr. Wayland will approach the box for a look over....
Marshal
 GM, 834 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 18:39
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”Much obliged to you, Miz River,” Bauer tells the herbalist gratefully as River expertly binds up her wound. Garrett offers similar words of thanks when River arrives at the top of the stairs to tend to him. ”You’re plenty brave, ma’am. Rushing over to help us in the middle of that storm of lead.”

OOC: Both Bauer and Garrett are able to recover from the single wounds they were carrying.

Joining Bauer at the closed door beneath the stairs, Lee pauses to listen for any sounds beyond it. After a moment of focus, the ranger is able to pick up on the muffled sounds of a terse conversation. He can identify two male voices, along with one female, but none are loud enough for him to be able to understand what they are saying. Glancing at the deputy, he sees Bauer give him a nod, confirming that the deputy hears the same thing.

Finding no one lurking nearby, Dr. Wayland examines the strange device on the table with great care. Peering through the grate, the inventor is able to gain a clear idea of the mechanism’s purpose.


Upstairs, Kansas Kate, River, and Garrett see a group of wolves, the undead creatures that stalk the Capitan Mountains, come charging into the yard in front of the ranch house. At least a dozen are visible, the group wheeling about to make a run toward the open front door.

OOC: It will require a move action for the wolves to reach the ranch house porch, so any shooters are able to act now. The wolves are currently right at medium range for rifles and the Gatling gun. Hitting one with a pistol is a long range shot.

Each wolf has a toughness of 4.

Bryan Lee
 player, 497 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 22:23
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee pops the door open a crack, gun still in hand, peering into the darkness hopefully aided by any ambient light from their room and any light source that may be below.

OOC:

Notice 10. What does Lee see down below?

16:22, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Notice.


Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 183 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 16:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland became far more interested in the gizmo than the onrushing horde of wolves or whatever terrible things must be hiding in the unchecked sections of the house.  Here was a thing to be studied, understood.  A puzzle.  Far more interesting than all those potentially lethal things.  He had never let threat of death and harm stop a scientific pursuit before...

"Tones...  Tones....  Can't heah?  Who can..  Ah....  You'ah right..."

Whistling quietly, Dr. Wayland began making adjustments...
Kansas Kate
 player, 561 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L#
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 00:48
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Woooh!"  Kansas Kate was like a kid with a new toy, despite herself.  She trained the massive weapon into the herd of oncoming wolves and opened up.

18:45, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 0,-1,-1,7 using d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1,1,(6+3)9.  Rat a Tat Tat.

Hmmm, yeah let's not put it out of commission right away huh

18:45, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 5,9,1,2 using d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,11,3,4.  white cheep.

There we go

18:46, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 8 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Damage.
18:47, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 19,1 using 2d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(8+5)13,1.  Damage with Raise.

Marshal
 GM, 837 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 21:04
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Before I resolve things, Dr. Wayland, kindly give me another Weird Science roll.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 184 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 02:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland continued his quiet, happy, tuneless whistle while he manipulated the device...

1:45, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+4)10.  Plastic tubes and pots and pans..
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 26 posts
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 23:01
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett shoulders his rifle as the Gatling gun roars to life, squeezing off a shot at one of the advancing wolves.

14:38, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 6,2 using 1d10-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Shooting.

14:39, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 27 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+5)21,6.  Damage.

Marshal
 GM, 840 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 02:34
XII - A Heart of Thorns
A stream of lead storms into the yard in front of Murphy’s home, blasting three of the undead wolves into pieces, reducing them to fragments of bone and rotted fur. The remaining canines spread out across the open ground, instinctively seeking to avoid the sudden destruction visited on their number.

A moment later, Dr. Wayland finishes his adjustments to the inscrutable device atop the dining table. The mechanism whirs with an increased speed, the blue crackles of electricity becoming more frequent within it. A brief, but audible, whine sounds from inside the metal box as it begins to follow the new parameters the bounty hunter has set.

The effect of the machine’s alteration becomes plain a few moments later. A chorus of agonized howls sound from the gathering of wolves outside of the house, the tone of their calls making it plain that they have been seized by a tremendous pain. Although their movements are suddenly clumsy, the undead creatures manage to turn about and begin fleeing the grounds of the ranch, scurrying for the open country as quickly as their legs can carry them there.

Behind the staircase, Lee eases open the door. He finds himself peering into what is clearly a study, the far end of the chamber dominated by a large mahogany desk. A square table occupies the room’s center, a pair of of maps spread out across its surface. Lee also notes the presence of a liquor cabinet and a lawyer’s bookcase.

Two doors provide exits from the room, one on the right, another on the left. The right hand door is closed, but the leftmost one is open. Gathered near it are two men and a woman, all dressed in the manner of range hands. Each is armed with a pistol, which is holstered in a gun belt. The small group appear to be focused on the adjacent room, where Lee can hear a conversation taking place, the same discussion he was able to pick up on while listening alongside Bauer.

15:52, Today: Marshal rolled 1,8,1 using 1d6-2,1d6-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10,3.  Notice - Outlaws.

As the ranger watches, the woman’s gaze snaps to the door and her eyes widen as she recognizes it is open, and that she and her companions are being watched. Her hand moves for her holster as her mouth opens to call out.

OOC: Ranger, if you’re going to take any action except slamming the door closed, I’ll need you to give me an initiative draw.
Bryan Lee
 player, 498 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 23:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
At the attention, followed by the blast of automatic fire coming from within the house itself, Lee slammed the door shut and moved to the side of the door.

He held up three fingers and pointed at the door to Bauer and any others that could see him.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:20, Fri 05 Mar.

Marshal
 GM, 844 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 03:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bauer just has time to nod at Lee’s gesture before three shots ring out, each one blasting a hole in the door, scattering splinters through the gun smoke scented air. The sharp reports ring out through the now quiet hall.

There is a momentary pause, and though his hearing is slightly muffled by the gunfire, the Ranger hears a voice, a female voice, whispering in what he is almost certain is Spanish.

21:01, Today: Marshal drew the 8 cards: QH, 5S, QC, 6S, 2S, 2C, 4H, KH using a deck of 54 cards.

Two Pair/4 Power Points

21:10, Today: Marshal rolled 8,3 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,3.  Spellcasting.


A pale mist suddenly emerges from beneath the closed door, sliding across the floor and swirling into the air with surprising swiftness. The gray fumes seem to carry an unnatural chill with them, and Lee finds his thoughts filled with images of horror, twisted, nightmarish remembrances of things past, and visions of what yet might be.

OOC: Ranger, I need you to give me a Spirit roll at -2. Should you fail, you’ll need to give me a roll on the Fear Table.

Note that should those on the balcony remain where they are, the mist will reach them within the equivalent of a round. Dr. Wayland, you can see the mist, but it has not spread far enough to reach you inside the dining room.

Bryan Lee
 player, 499 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 18:48
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bryan gulped as he looked out at the mist that floated from the door, but he centered his chi and held himself together in the face of whatever dark powers were being unleashed from behind the door. He remains quiet, and waits out of immediate sight to fall upon whoever emerges from behind it.

OOC:

Spirit: 5

I'm assuming that his Grit applies to this role as you mentioned Fear, so I've added it in.

12:44, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5,5 using d6+2,d6+2, rerolling max.  Spirit (-2 + 4 Grit).

This message was last edited by the player at 18:49, Thu 10 Dec 2020.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 186 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 03:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland's whistling died away and his actually smiled a bit, "Mahvelous... Fascinating concept..."  Straightening back up, he took up the lightning gun again and looked through the window at the retreating wolves.  Appreciatively.

The door slam caught his attention.  The gunfire was expected.  The wolves retreating was welcome.  The door slam just somehow stood out.  The bounty hunter looked across to the other room in time to see yet more gunfire ripping through Lee's door...followed by the strange mist...

By and large, strange, creeping mists were /never/ good...
Kansas Kate
 player, 565 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 12:59
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Ah hell."

Kansas Kate wasn't sure at all what was going on, but she was pretty sure they were going to have to either run from that or charge right through it.  Most likely the latter.

But a certain discipline asserted itself.  This Gatling gun was a trap.  It was powerful and therefore tempting to stick to, but its location being fixed meant it was also severely limited.  She didn't want to leave it at her back though, her enemies might use it against her if it were left in place.

She quickly removed the feed case and carefully turned the crank to align the plates and pulled out one of the locks and threw it as far as she could, ideally outside if she could toss it that far.  That would effectively leave the gun unloaded and deactivated.

Most people probably wouldn't care about such a particular risk in this particular situation, but most people weren't her either.

The task was a quick one but it precluded other actions for the moment.  "Th' hell's goin' on here!?"
Marshal
 GM, 848 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 14:49
XII - A Heart of Thorns
08:11, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 3,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1.  Spirit (-2/+2).

08:11, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 8 using 1d20, rerolling max with rolls of 8.  Fear Table.

Bauer is shaken.


Lee sees Bauer’s expression become pinched, her breathing rapid. The deputy closes her eyes tightly, muttering under her breath in an apparent effort to remain calm.

A moment later, the door bursts open, the trio of gunfighters that the Ranger spotted moments ago rushing into the hall, guns drawn.

08:41, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 5D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

08:42, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Gunfighters.

08:43, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 8D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - ????

08:44, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 7S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - ????

08:47, Today: Patrick Garrett drew the single card: 10S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

OOC: Everyone, including those on the upper floor landing, please give me an initiative draw.

Tamsin River
 player, 231 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R4 B2 L0
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 14:56
XII - A Heart of Thorns
06:51, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: 10D using the Deadlands system.

Tamsin draws her Colt Lightning as she carefully leans over the railing to see what’s going on.
Kansas Kate
 player, 566 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B1 L#
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 17:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
11:27, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: BJ! using the Deadlands system.
Bryan Lee
 player, 500 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 19:32
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC:

Initiative: 3S

Questions:
  1. Bryan was waiting by the door ready to attack as soon as it opened. Does that have any weight to this potentially being a Surprise situation? They might have been expecting opposition on this side, but maybe not his positioning and readiness - so I thought it worth asking.
  2. If the answer to the above is affirmative, would his positioning give him The Drop?


12:37, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 3S using a deck of 54 cards.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 187 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R4 B1 L0
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 05:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland lifted his lightning gun to his shoulder as the trio came through...

Initiative: Black Joker

00:19, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: BJ!, 4H using a deck of 54 cards.  Level Headed Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 852 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 23:28
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

BJ! - Kansas Kate
BJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
10S - Patrick Garrett
10D - Tamsin River
8S - Gunfighters
8D - ????
7S - ????
5D - Lena Bauer
3S - Bryan Lee

Anyone that remains on the landing will be able to see and fire at any enemies below. Because of the somewhat awkward positioning and the presence of the staircase, targets should be treated as though they are in light cover (-1 to shooting rolls).

The mist is still present, so anyone besides Lee and Bauer who moves into melee range of the enemy gunfighters will need to make a Spirit roll, modified positively by your Grit score.

Kansas Kate and Dr. Wayland, you may each take your actions.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 190 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R4 B1 L0
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 04:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland quickly calculated that, once again, there were too many allies in the line of fire to justify loosing the lightning.  He held the emitter with his left hand and let it fall away to the side and kept moving forward.  His gun-hand fell to the gatling pistol and jerked it free.   He thumbed the safety on the clockworks as he brought it to bear on the gunmen...  Crackcrackcrackcrack...

Move to the closest spot providing the clearest field of fire on the gunmen.

Gatling Pistol - Autofire: One Hit ( No Innocent Bystanders!), Damage 13 to a Gunman

Next Initiative - 7H

23:15, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: 2C, 7H using a deck of 54 cards.  Level Headed - Initiative Draw.

23:14, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 13 using 3d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2,3.  One Hit w/ Raise + Joker Bonus.

23:13, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 3,9,3 using d10,d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,9,3.  Gatling Pistol - RoF 2 - (-2 Draw, +2 Joker) .

Kansas Kate
 player, 570 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W1 R4 B2 L#
Thu 24 Dec 2020
at 01:35
XII - A Heart of Thorns
19:21, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 11,3 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 11,3.  Vault over Stair (Agility).

Forgot the +2, but it doesn't matter lol


In a flash, the quick reflexes of the outlaw took over and she was over the bannister after a running start, landing with relative grace.  With one smooth action she drew and served a .44 lead salad.

Quick draw to pull the Schofield and fire in the same round with no penalty

So Joker cancels out the -2 for Fanning the Hammer (Hip Shooting) making this a straight shooting roll.

19:26, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 7,20,11,4,9,7,8 using d12,d12,d12,d12,d12,d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(12+8)20,11,4,9,7,(6+2)8.  Fan the Hammer!

I will replace the 4 with the 8 from the wild die.

Right, so let's give two targets 3 hits each since the good doctor just killed one in all probability.

First target:

Hit 12 damage - 19:28, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 12 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Hit 1.
Hit with Raise 11 damage - 19:29, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 11 using 3d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2,3.  Hit 2.
Hit with Raise 16 damage - 19:30, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 16 using 3d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3,(6+2)8.  Hit 3.

Second target:

Hit with Raise 11 damage - 19:30, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 11 using 3d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2,4.  Hit 4.
Hit with Raise 30 damage - 19:31, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 30 using 3d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of (6+6+3)15,(6+5)11,1.  Hit 5.

If we were playing in person I'd stop rolling

Hit 11 damage - 19:32, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 11 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3.  Hit 6.


Reflexively she broke the action of the Schofield open and had the fresh rounds in before the casings hit the floorboards.

And Speed Reload

and inititiative

19:34, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: 5C using the Deadlands system.

Marshal
 GM, 857 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 30 Dec 2020
at 03:06
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The burst of fire from Dr. Wayland’s Gatling pistol virtually shreds the torso of the lead gunfighter, the woman toppling to the floor before she has even registered the attack. As the pair of gunmen behind her focus their attention on the bounty hunter, Kansas Kate vaults the banister of the staircase, landing in their line of sight just as she opens fire. The outlaw puts a pair of shots just left of the first hired gun’s breastbone, killing him before he can fall. The second is hit in the throat and the right eye, the latter wound blasting open the back of the gunslinger’s skull, and sending his corpse tumbling backwards toward the door he emerged from.

OOC: All three gunfighters are dead.

Initiative Order

BJ! - Kansas Kate
BJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland

10S - Patrick Garrett - Holding
10D - Tamsin River
8S - Gunfighters
8D - ????
7S - ????
5D - Lena Bauer
3S - Bryan Lee

Pat Garrett will hold his action.

Miss Winter, it’s your turn.

Tamsin River
 player, 233 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R4 B3 L0
Wed 30 Dec 2020
at 12:01
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Tamsin peers over the balcony, blinking down at spattered blood and rended bodies. She sees no one but her companions moving and hesitates,

Tamsin will hold.
Marshal
 GM, 864 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 00:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
A tall woman with an olive complexion emerges from the study. She is clad in an elegant black dress which appears to be of Spanish design. Only a red velvet pouch hanging near her waist provides any contrasting color. In her left hand, she carries a deck of cards. In her right, she holds a single card between two fingers. A broad shouldered, well dressed man in a dark blue tailored suit follows her.

OOC: Ranger Lee, you may make a melee attack against one of the individuals exiting the study.
Bryan Lee
 player, 507 posts
 Texas Ranger (12/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R1 B1 L1
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 21:14
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC:

If they withdraw from his melee range, then Bryan will strike out with a basic attack at the lady with the cards. It should leave her shaken.

Fighting: 8
Damage: 9

20:28, Yesterday: Bryan Lee rolled 9 using d8+d4, rerolling max with rolls of 6,3.  Damage (if needed).
20:28, Yesterday: Bryan Lee rolled 5,8 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+2)8.  Fighting (use as needed for a free strike).

This message was last edited by the player at 21:15, Mon 04 Jan.

Tamsin River
 player, 234 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R2 B3 L0
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 12:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
04:06, Today: Tamsin River rolled 3,4 using d8-1,d6-1, rerolling max ((4,5)).

04:12, Today: Tamsin River rolled 4 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Damage (if my target is still 4).


04:15, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: 9H using the Deadlands system.




Tamsin aims at the man in the blue suit and squeezes the trigger.
Maria Barcelo
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:40
XII - A Heart of Thorns
22:04, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 4,4 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Spirit.

Barcelo loses the shaken condition.


The woman in the black dress is momentarily rattled by the Ranger’s assault, the strike causing her to stumble forward a few steps. She appears to regain her composure quickly, scowling as she focuses on those that have invaded Murphy’s home.

In her left hand, the woman holds a deck of cards. A single card rests between the index and middle fingers of her right hand. With a quick motion, she flicks the lone card over Kansas Kate’s shoulder, where it explodes in a sudden burst of fiery green energy.

Kansas Kate, Lee, and Dr. Wayland are caught within the circumference of the blast.

22:05, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 7,5 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,5.  Spellcasting.

Power Points Expended: 4

22:23, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 16 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+4)10,1.  Damage - Blast.

Total Damage: 16

The blast will leave Kansas Kate, Lee, and Dr. Wayland each shaken with 2 wounds. Each of you has the option to make a soak roll.

22:29, Today: Maria Barcelo drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Chambers
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:40
XII - A Heart of Thorns
River’s shot tears a gash through the shoulder of the broad shouldered man’s suit, startling him briefly, but leaving him otherwise unharmed. His attention immediately falls on Lee when the lawman strikes his companion.

A breeze, seemingly without source, swirls around the man, stirring the dust on the floor as he circles Lee, then aims a palm strike at the Texas Ranger’s chest.

22:47, Today: Chambers rolled 8,4 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Fighting.

22:48, Today: Chambers rolled 4,8 using 1d10,2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4,4.  Damage.

Total Damage: 12

22:48, Today: Chambers rolled 3 using 1d4, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Knockback.

The strike will leave Lee shaken with 1 wound. You have the option of making a soak roll.

The resulting knockback from the attack will push Lee through the open door of the study. The Ranger won’t strike any obstacles along the way, so he won’t pick up any additional injuries.


The force of the blow sends Lee stumbling through the door behind him, into the study. The lawman is able to halt himself a few paces away from the desk in the center of the room. Glancing to his left, Lee immediately sees that he is not alone. A sallow complexioned man with stringy blonde hair and the shadow of a beard is standing in front of the door on the western wall. As Lee staggers inside, the slender man snaps the double barreled shotgun he is holding closed.

23:10, Today: Chambers drew the single card: QC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Lena Bauer
 NPC, 105 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:40
XII - A Heart of Thorns
23:06, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 4,5 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Spirit.

Bauer is able to lose her shaken condition.


Spitting a curse, the deputy levels her pistol at the man in the blue suit and fires.

23:14, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 6,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  Shooting.

23:17, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 9 using 2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Damage.


The shot skids across the man’s ribs on his right side, prompting a brief grimace of pain.

The attack leaves Chambers shaken.

23:26, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 28 posts
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett moves to the staircase, descending halfway down it before snapping off a shot at the woman with the cards. The bullet slams harmlessly into the wall behind her.

23:24, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 2,3 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Shooting.

23:27, Today: Patrick Garrett drew the single card: 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 865 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

BJ! - Kansas Kate
BJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
10S - Patrick Garrett
10D - Tamsin River
8S - Gunfighters
8D - Maria Barcelo
7S - Chambers
5D - Lena Bauer

3S - Bryan Lee

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

The mystery man in the study has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8.

It is your turn Ranger Lee.

Kansas Kate
 player, 573 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W1 F0 W0 R3 B2 L#
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 11:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
lol only cost me 2 chips this time (which is statistically good)!  I'll take it!

05:32, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Red Dead Soak Roll.

05:31, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 1,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Soak Attempt.


Kansas Kate managed to press herself against the wall as the balefire washed over her.

Now, she was pissed.
Bryan Lee
 player, 508 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R0 B1 L1
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 18:44
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The blast and the ensuing punch took him by surprise, but Bryan was used to taking blows and channeling that energy into his own attacks. He didn't succumb to the sudden whirlwind of emotions that many might have in the same moment. Shock, rage, sadness, pain, they all floated outside of his mind, kept at bay by the emotionally centered state he endeavored to maintain at all times, allowing him to dispassionately channel what happened to him into action. Finding another foe awaiting him within the room into which he had been pushed, he quickly channeled his energies into striking that foeman thrice at lightning speed, awaiting what would come next.

OOC:

The dice roller log is a bit of a mess. I did this while wrangling two toddlers, as the nanny is away until she clears a COVID test. So I'll summarize it and kindly look through if if verification is needed:

- Tried to unshake with Spirit to see if he could fight well enough wounded. That failed.
- Used Adventure Card "Second Wind" to clear all three wounds and shaken condition from the attacks suffered during this combat. Two chips to the Marshal. You may need 'em for this cowpoke.
- Quickness, spent a Red Chip on it. End result is a success with a raise.
- With the free second action granted from Quickness, delivered three Wild Attack punches to the mystery man. As he's an unarmed combatant (not presently wielding a melee weapon) and not a Martial Artist, that would yield an additional +2 to hit him that I didn't include in the rolls, making all three attacks successes with raises (11, 11, 19).
- Forgot to include Brawler damage bonus (an additional +2) in the rolls, so including raises the Damage results in total will be 9, 24, and 12.
- Based on Toughness 8, that will be: Shaken, Shaken with 4 Wounds, and Shaken with 1 wound respectively.
- Bryan will be at Parry 5 till his next turn since he just Wild Attacked
- Initiative: KS


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)

13:53, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Raise 2.
13:53, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Raise.12:19, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: KS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
12:17, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10 using d8+d4+2+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3,4.  Damage 3 (Raise).
12:17, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 19 using d8+d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+6)14,3.  Damage 2.
12:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 6 using d8+d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2.  Damage 1.
12:16, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 17,4 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of (10+5)15,2.  Improved Frenzy (Wild Attack).
12:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,5 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack) Correct Roll.
12:15, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack).
12:06, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 8 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8.  Red Chip.
12:06, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Quickness.
11:33, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,5.  Fighting (Wild Attack).
00:48, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Spirit.


This message was last edited by the player at 19:57, Fri 08 Jan.

Crawford
 NPC, 1 post
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 04:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The series of vicious blows Lee unleashes on the slender gunman strike with terrible force. Two of the punches slam into the man’s chest, ribs and a collar bone giving way beneath the assault. The final hit opens a long tear across the range hand’s cheek and breaks his nose, leaving it leaning right at an unnatural angle.

The man staggers backward a step, a groan of pain rising from his throat. Finding his footing, he glares at Lee.

As the lawman watches, the laceration in the man’s cheek closes up as his nose returns to its natural position.

20:24, Today: Crawford rolled 8,5 using 1d12,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,5.  Vigor.

The two successes on the Vigor roll will enable the stranger to heal two wounds immediately. This is not a soak roll.

Removing two wounds from the worst of the injuries will leave it at  two wounds and a shaken condition.

20:25, Today: Crawford rolled 10,2 using 1d12,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 10,2.  Soak Roll - White Chip.

That result will rid him of the remaining two wounds and the shaken condition.

That still leaves him with another strike that inflicted one wound and a shaken condition.

20:26, Today: Crawford rolled 8,2 using 1d12,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,2.  Soak Roll - White Chip.

The roll will take care of both the wound and the shaken condition.

That still leaves him with one remaining shaken condition, which he will try to handle with a Spirit roll.

20:28, Today: Crawford rolled 7,3 using 1d6+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Spirit.


”Ouch,” the man says in a reedy voice, his broken chest expanding to fill his denim shirt once more. Scowling, he levels his shotgun at the Ranger.

20:47, Today: Crawford drew the single card: AD using a deck of 54 cards.
Marshal
 GM, 868 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 04:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Tamsin River
7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo
5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Crawford has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8.

Crawford
 NPC, 2 posts
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 04:29
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Crawford intends to use his move to step back from Lee, withdrawing from close combat. This will provoke an attack of opp...I mean, this will entitle Lee to a free melee attack, which will need to be resolved before Crawford can take any further action.

Ranger Lee, kindly make your rolls.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 192 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R4 B1 L0
Sun 10 Jan 2021
at 17:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Previous round Soak Roll to Catch Up

Wayland also managed to roll away from the blast, to the other side of it, and thumped against the side of the staircase.

Unbeknownst to the Doctor or the others, his extra explosive rounds rattled...gently...in their places.  Not enough to set them off.  This time.  The tiny surprises would bide their time.

I believe I soaked both and my explosive rounds didn't go off.  My vest didn't catch fire this time.  All good things.  Science is fun...

12:44, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Secondary Explosion?

12:44, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Red Chip Add to Soak.

12:43, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 5,4 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  White Chip Soak vs. Shaken and 2 Wounds.

Bryan Lee
 player, 513 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W3 R0 B1 L1
Sun 10 Jan 2021
at 20:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee's eyebrows raised as the wounds closed. It wasn't something he hadn't seen before, but it was also something that he wasn't expecting just at this moment. Seeing an advantage that he could exploit as his foe was focused on taking out his gun, Lee lashed out to strike him at his solar plexus.

OOC:

Fighting: 7
Damage: 20

Shaken with 3 Wounds again, looks like.

14:31, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 20 using d8+d4+4, rerolling max.  Damage (Wild, Brawler).
14:31, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,6 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild, Unarmed Defender).

Crawford
 NPC, 3 posts
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 03:03
XII - A Heart of Thorns
18:56, Today: Crawford rolled 18,5 using 1d12,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (12+6)18,5.  Vigor.

With the raise, the Vigor roll will remove 2 wounds. That’s the maximum the roll can instantly heal. Note also that Crawford is only allowed one such roll per round, not every time he is injured.

18:56, Today: Crawford rolled 8,4 using 1d12,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  Soak Roll - White Chip.

The soak roll will remove the last wound and the shaken condition.


The thin man sneers as he steps back. ”Guess the boss man was right after all,” he says, ”He felt sure if you folks got inside somehow, you’d be happy just to tangle with us. Leave him to finish his work.”

He squeezes both triggers of the shotgun. Inside the confines of the study, the gun’s report is deafening.

20:49, Today: Crawford rolled 5,15,4 using 1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+6+3)15,4.  Shooting.

20:50, Today: Crawford rolled 12,3 using 3d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4,4,3.  Damage.

20:50, Today: Crawford rolled 8 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2,4.  Damage.

The first shot would leave Lee shaken with 2 wounds.

The second would leave him shaken.

Marshal
 GM, 870 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 03:03
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Tamsin River
7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo
5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Crawford has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8.

Your turn, Ranger.

Bryan Lee
 player, 514 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R0 B0 L1
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 04:30
XII - A Heart of Thorns
21:34, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max.  Vigor.
21:51, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 8 using 1d6, rerolling max.  Blue.

Vigor total of 15 should soak the two wounds and eliminate the Shaken condition from the first shot.

21:51, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,9 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Spirit.

That should unshake him and further eat into my pile of chips. Time to attempt to return the favor.


"Oh, I'm more than happy to let him finish up. It'll be the last sheep he ever fucks," he said. "But you won't be gettin' seconds on that little lamb."

He closed in on the gunman and proceeded to unleash a flurry of blows against the man, hoping to earn him a second death.

For brevity, rolls are at the bottom.
Fighting in order: 11, 15, 9, 9, 10, 10.
Damage: 15, 16, 8, 16, 21, 11

That's:
  • Shaken with 1 Wound
  • Shaken with 2 Wounds
  • Shaken
  • Shaken with 2 Wounds
  • Shaken with 3 Wounds
  • Shaken with 1 Wound


Initiative: 4C





Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)

Quickness gives him two actions. Each action delivers three Fighting attacks courtesy of Wing Chun and Improved Frenzy. Wild Attacks against an Unarmed Combatant with raises on four of the six punches.

21:54, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 11,8 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:54, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,15 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:54, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 9,5 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 7,9 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack, Unarmed).
21:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,6 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:59, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,5 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
22:03, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 15 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 1.
22:03, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 16 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 2.
22:04, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 8 using d8+d4+4, rerolling max.  Damage 3.
22:04, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 16 using d8+d4+4, rerolling max.  Damage 4.
22:05, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 21 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 5.
22:05, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 11 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 6.

22:06, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 4C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.


This message was last edited by the player at 05:08, Thu 14 Jan.

Marshal
 GM, 872 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 20:58
XII - A Heart of Thorns
At the flurry of blows, what sounds like a hoarse chuckle escapes the gunman’s mouth before he falls without another word or sound, crumpling to the floor before the western doorway. As he drops, his skin takes on an ashen gray complexion, his features growing blunt and distorted, his eyes becoming pools of obsidian. For a moment, as he lies there, his form is inert, simply that of another broken foe. But, as Lee watches, a face appears on the gunman’s cheek, as though coming from somewhere inside of him, straining against the barrier that his skin presents. The new visage’s mouth opens in a silent scream before being drawn back from wherever it came. An instant later, in much the same way, a hand reaches up from the gunman’s chest, its fingers splayed, seemingly grasping for something before quickly withdrawing. Though the henchman shows no sign of moving, his body continues to writhe with the activity of whatever lies trapped within him.
Chambers
 NPC, 3 posts
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 20:58
XII - A Heart of Thorns
14:08, Today: Chambers rolled 3,7 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+1)7.  Spirit.

Chambers is able to rid himself of the shaken condition.


Regarding Bauer with a stern glare, the neatly dressed man advances on the deputy, sending a kick into the center of her ribcage.

14:17, Today: Chambers rolled 2,15 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+6+3)15.

14:18, Today: Chambers rolled 6,11,17 using 1d10,1d6,2d8, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(6+5)11,(8+3)11,6.

14:26, Today: Chambers rolled 1 using 1d4, rerolling max with rolls of 1.  Knockback.

Total damage: 34

That would leave Bauer shaken with 7 wounds, but at this stage only 4 wounds matter. The blow will incapacitate her.

14:34, Today: Lena Bauer rolled -2,-1 using 1d8-4,1d6-4, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Vigor.

14:35, Today: Lena Bauer rolled -1,0 using 1d8-4,1d6-4, rerolling max with rolls of 3,4.  Vigor - White Chip Reroll.

I’m going to retain her remaining chips for future Vigor rolls.

14:40, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 6 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Injury Table.

14:41, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 5 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5.

That result indicates that Bauer has her Strength reduced by a die type, which will leave her with Strength of 1d6. The injury is permanent.

Bauer is bleeding out. She will need to make a Vigor roll each round until she is stabilized with a successful Healing roll.


The strike crushes the deputy’s chest, knocking her to the floor where she slides a short distance from her attacker. She does not rise, her breathing ragged, blood trickling from her mouth.

14:51, Today: Chambers drew the single card: KS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 873 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 20:58
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)

9H - Tamsin River
7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo
5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Miss River, it’s your turn.

Marshal
 GM, 874 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Mon 18 Jan 2021
at 22:02
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)

9H - Tamsin River - Holding
7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo
5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

For the moment, I’m going to treat Tamsin River as if she is holding. She can act later in the round if she chooses.

Dr. Wayland, it is your turn.

Tamsin River
 player, 238 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W0 R2 B3 L0
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 00:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
No no no no no

Tamsin bolts for the stairs, running to get to Bauer.

Tamsin will use her turn for movement. I’m still not entirely clear how that works but xD

16:49, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: KS using a deck of 54 cards.

Marshal
 GM, 876 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 02:23
XII - A Heart of Thorns
From beneath the house there is an brief tremor, strong enough to be felt on the upper floor.

19:51, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tamsin River, rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Running.

River is able to traverse the staircase and reach Bauer.

Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
9H - Tamsin River

7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo
5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Your turn, Dr. Wayland.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 193 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W2 R3 B1 L0
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 04:57
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland barely noted the fall of Bauer.  He wasn't that kind of doctor.  His was a more aggressive practice.  And he saw a chance for the application of a favored procedure...  He moved fast, holstering the gatling again and swinging the lightning gun back up to his shoulder.  Skidding into his calculated position, he leveled the device on the woman with all the cards.  The air cracked as a whipping bolt of lightning burned across the room...

To Hit - 14, Damage 15.  Agility vs. 14 to Dodge.  If Wayland is left with a Raise, she will get -2 Parry as she takes a ride on the lightning.

Next Initiative - RJ!

23:48, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: QS, RJ! using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

23:47, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 15 using 2d10, rerolling max with rolls of 8,7.  ZZZZZAP.

23:47, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 8 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8.  Blue Add.

23:45, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 6,-1 using d10-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 8,1.  Lightning!

Maria Barcelo
 NPC, 3 posts
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 02:37
XII - A Heart of Thorns
13:00, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 1,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  Agility.

Yeah, no. Barcelo is caught in the burst.

The attack will leave her shaken with one wound. In lieu of additional damage, she will suffer a -2 penalty to her Parry. I’m going to rule that that will stick with her until her action on the following round.

19:30, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 3,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

She’s not able to remove the wound with a soak roll.

20:34, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 4,12 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+6+1)13.  Spirit.

The successful Spirit roll will enable her to lose the shaken condition.


Visibly trembling, dark scorch marks on her arms and face, the woman glares at Wayland. She draws a card from her deck, holding it up between her thumb and forefinger. An instant later, it is consumed in a burst of flame.

Tendrils of green energy, the same color as the balefire that the woman had hurled moments before spring up from the floor beneath Dr. Wayland’s feet. Like tentacles, they move to encircle the bounty hunter and trap him in their grasp.

Cast Entangle

Power Points expended: 2

19:47, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 8,4 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 9,5.  Spellcasting.

19:50, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 4 using 1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Red Chip.

Total: 12

Doctor, you’ll need to make an Agility against that Spellcasting roll in order to avoid being restrained.

20:25, Today: Maria Barcelo drew the single card: 7H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 879 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 02:37
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AD - Crawford
KS - Bryan Lee
QC - Chambers
JC - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
9H - Tamsin River
7H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
6C - Maria Barcelo

5C - Kansas Kate
2C - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying one wound.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Kansas Kate, it’s your turn.

Kansas Kate
 player, 578 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W1 F0 W1 R3 B2 L#
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 03:01
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate did some mental math.  She figured the Ranger was about to give that fellow the business, and he seemed like the kind of guy who got excited about something like that.  But tough as he was, could the Ranger reliably take him out in one go? Though the Doctor had started the work (and he did some good work!), that damned huckster was a threat to all of them.  But, she was hurt, and not moving right, if the Ranger could close on her...

Sometimes, she just liked to hear the sound of her .44 gun.  For a minute there, she'd wondered if she hadn't gotten a new perspective on life, but here she was, filling people full of holes again.  If he could drop Bauer that quick, he was dangerous, and he needed to catch every slug she could throw at him.

So Kansas Kate is going to empty the whole cylinder into Chambers, hoping to incapacitate him and let Ranger Lee go whack on the huckster with the lowered Parry.  No idea if that will work out, let's consult the dice.

20:53, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 5,4,4,0,9,9,3 using d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,6,6,2,11,11,5.  Fan the Hammer!

No 1s rolled, that's very good

looks like 3 regular hits and two with a raise, none of the regular hits are super close to a raise so I will take this very good roll as it is.

Okay with Toughness 8 this is going to be a challenge so let's see how this goes.  First, the three regular hits:

Okay pretty good, got 13, 11 and 13 - 20:55, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 13,11,13 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+4)10,2,(6+2)8,2,(6+4)10.  First Three Hits.

Now the hits with Raises:

Also good, 15 and 15 damage - 20:56, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 15,15 using 3d6+1,3d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7,4,3,(6+2)8,4,2.  Last two hits.

I'll go ahead and pull card while I'm doing OOC stuff:

20:57, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: 5H using a deck of 54 cards.


The Schofield was smoking like a freight train.  It had emptied two cylinders in a matter of seconds, and it was about to empty a third.  She was grateful for her gloves as she quickly emptied and reloaded yet again with practiced ease.  Kansas Kate intended to serve up lead salads for everybody.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 29 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 04:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett grits his teeth as he sees Bauer fall. When Kansas Kate unleashes a hailstorm on the well dressed brawler, the Sheriff takes aim at the woman with cards.

21:22, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 7,1 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Shooting.

21:29, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 8 using 2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3.  Damage.

The shot will leave Barcelo shaken.

21:38, Today: Patrick Garrett drew the single card: 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 883 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 04:16
XII - A Heart of Thorns
22:08, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

RJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
KS - Tamsin River
KS - Chambers
10D - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
7H - Maria Barcelo
5H - Kansas Kate
4C - Bryan Lee
2D - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying one wound.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Bauer is incapacitated and bleeding out. Until stabilized by a successful Healing roll, she must succeed on a Vigor roll each  round or succumb to her injuries.

It is your turn, Dr. Wayland.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 195 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R3 B0 L0
Sat 23 Jan 2021
at 04:13
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The tendrils swept around Wayland and began to tighten.  His teeth gritted together and he shifted...straining against the strange magics to lower his weapon again.  The copper toroid of the muzzle wobbled momentarily as he brought it to bear.  The bounty hunter grinned like a fiend as the lightning snapped and flared out again at the card-witch...

Last Round - Agility vs. 12.  Got an 13....  Free of restraint.

This Round - Lightning Burst 11 to Hit (+2 Joker), Damage 14

Next Round Initiative - 9H

22:59, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland drew the 2 cards: 2S, 9H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative Draw.
22:59, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 14 using 2d10+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,9.  Lightning Damage + Joker.
22:58, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Red Chip.
22:57, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 7,3 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  ZZZZAP.
22:38, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 4,11 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+5)11.  Agility vs. Entangle 12.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:47, Sat 23 Jan.

Maria Barcelo
 NPC, 4 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 17:37
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Barcelo will need to first contend with being shaken from Garrett’s attack.

10:52, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 2,2 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Spirit.

She’s not able to make the Spirit roll, which will force her to burn a white chip to lose the shaken condition.

Next, she’ll attempt to dodge the incoming lightning.

10:57, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 17,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+2)18,3.  Agility.


Despite being rapidly surrounded by the tendrils of energy, Dr. Wayland reacts quickly, pulling free of their grasp within only moments, the strange appendages fading from view as he skillfully escapes their entrapment.

The card witch, her arm bloodied from where Garrett’s shot creased it, remains focused on Dr. Wayland. Apparently anticipating another shot from the bounty hunter’s fearsome weapon, she moves to the right as he fires, narrowly avoiding the torrent of lightning. The thunderous blast of electricity wrenches up planks from the floor, blowing a huge hole in the wall of the building, creating a smoldering opening that looks out onto the yard in front of the ranch house.
Marshal
 GM, 885 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 17:37
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

RJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
KS - Tamsin River
KS - Chambers
10D - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
7H - Maria Barcelo
5H - Kansas Kate
4C - Bryan Lee
2D - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying one wound.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8.

Bauer is incapacitated and bleeding out. Until stabilized by a successful Healing roll, she must succeed on a Vigor roll each round or succumb to her injuries.

Miss River, you have the floor.

Tamsin River
 player, 240 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B3 L0
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 03:59
XII - A Heart of Thorns
19:33, Today: Tamsin River rolled 5 using 1d8-2, rerolling max with rolls of 7.  Healing. So I’ve stabilized her
and I’ll spend a fate chip for healing power.

16:35, Today: Tamsin River drew the single card: AS using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.


“Would you look at that. Looks like I got here just in time,” Tamsin River speaks in the cheery tone she uses when dealing with medical matters, as if there aren’t bullets flying overhead. ”This is going to sting, my dear, but we’ll get you out of here. Take a deep breath.” Her practiced hands are steady on Bauer’s torso .

This message was last edited by the player at 00:36, Fri 29 Jan.

Chambers
 NPC, 4 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 06:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate’s shots will leave Chambers with the following:

  • Shaken with one wound
  • Shaken
  • Shaken with one wound
  • Shaken with one wound
  • Shaken with one wound

He will attempt to soak some of those injuries.

23:45, Today: Chambers rolled 8,4 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,4.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

23:46, Today: Chambers rolled 24,2 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (10+10+4)24,2.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

23:46, Today: Chambers rolled 6,5 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

That will leave him with one wound

As a side note, Chambers possesses the Nerves of Steel edge and is able to ignore one point of wound penalties.

23:51, Today: Chambers rolled 2,9 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+3)9.  Spirit.

23:51, Today: Chambers rolled 12,7 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+4)12,(6+1)7.  Spirit.

He is able to shed the remaining shaken conditions.


A stream of blood rises from the well dressed brawler’s left shoulder, quickly leaving a crimson streak on his jacket. He scowls at the outlaw, quickly closing the distance between them, the wind scattering the bits of debris from the lightning blast with each step he takes. Reaching the gunfighter, he throws a swift palm strike at her jaw.

00:03, Today: Chambers rolled 3,13 using 1d10+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+5)11.  Fighting.

00:05, Today: Chambers rolled 8,10,5 using 1d10,2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 8,3,7,5.  Damage.

Total Damage: 23

00:11, Today: Chambers rolled 1 using 1d4 with rolls of 1.  Knockback.

The blow will knock Kansas Kate a few feet eastward. Roughly the distance of a single square on the map.

The brawler will also expend 2 power points this round.

00:14, Today: Chambers drew the single card: 8S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 106 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 06:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As Winter applies her ministrations, Bauer’s eyes flutter open. The deputy takes in a shocked, shuddering breath, reflexively reaching out to grab the herbalist’s arm.

She blinks up at Winter in confusion. ”How..? You..? I thought...I thought I was done for...”

By invoking the greater healing power by way of her Knack edge, Winter is able to immediately heal one of Bauer’s wounds. The deputy is now carrying 2 wounds.

00:38, Today: Lena Bauer rolled -1,1 using 1d8-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.

Bauer remains shaken.

00:43, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Maria Barcelo
 NPC, 5 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 06:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The dark clad woman takes another card from her deck, hurling it at Dr. Wayland with a flick of her wrist. For an instant, the card flares with emerald colored flame, but dissipates into sparks a moment later, never drawing close to the bounty hunter.

The card witch shrieks in frustration.

00:21, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 2,1 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Spellcasting.

Power Points expended: 2

00:27, Today: Maria Barcelo drew the single card: 4D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

As her turn has passed, Barcelo is no longer subject to the -2 penalty to her Parry.

Marshal
 GM, 890 posts
 W1 R0 B3
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 06:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

RJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
KS - Tamsin River
KS - Chambers
10D - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
7H - Maria Barcelo

5H - Kansas Kate
4C - Bryan Lee
2D - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying one wound.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8. He is carrying one wound.

It’s all yours, Kansas Kate.

Kansas Kate
 player, 579 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W1 F0 W0 R2 B1 L#
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 15:06
XII - A Heart of Thorns
lol well then

Let's try to soak and see how this goes

08:38, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 3,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Hail Mary Soak Roll.

Okay, a success, I'll take it but I'm really going to have to try to do a little better

08:39, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Blue Chip That Soak Roll!

That's more something... let's see, 9, 13, 17, 21 would be 4 wounds, soaked 2, probably as good as I'm going to do statistically speaking, I could try to reroll and hope it aces but the probability of a better result is against me.

That would still leave a Shaken due to the 2 wounds I didn't soak, let's see if I can get rid out that without further expenditure.

08:41, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 4,-1 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Spirit.

Well I've got that going for me, which is nice.


Say what you will about her, but Kansas Kate can take a punch; not in the sense of laughing them off or not suffering their effects, but in the sense of not shrinking like a violet.  She understood getting hurt was the natural consequence of her actions, and never acted surprised or demoralized when it happened.  This was far from the first time she'd been beaten savagely, her mother had started that trend long ago, but every time might well be the last.

Her epiphany that maybe life was about something else than hurting people and stealing things was completely gone, at least for the moment.  Perhaps that was a good thing, because at the moment she needed, and perhaps even the world needed, that pure unbreakable grit.  In that moment, she hated Chambers, but she also hated the entire world and everyone in it, and herself most of all.

With a well practiced flick, the Toothpick came into her hand, and she smiled, wicked and hateful.  Opening her mouth, she spread blood across the blade with her tongue as she made eye contact with her opponent and laughed at him.

"Fin'ly!  A feller what knows what he likes!  A woman he ain't beat ain't no girl for this feller!  This is what gets you harder'n a woodpecker's lips ain't it?  Who am ah right now ya ornery cuss, her mama or yer sister?  Which one did ya always wanna stick it in?  Come on boy, tell us an' don't be shy now!"

So any actual attack I use is probably not going to be terribly successful, but with Strong Willed I get +2 to the Taunt attempt.

09:01, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 2,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,2.  Test of Wills - Taunt.  Yeah that's terrible.

09:01, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Red.

That gets it to 4, but it could be better.  I want a decent chance of leaving him with a Shaken here.  Of all the Kansas Kate things ever done this is the Kansas Katiest, it should work better than that.

09:01, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 3,5,4 using d6,d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5,4.  Oh why not reroll the whole thing.

Oh there we go, that's a 9, I'll take that!

09:03, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: 5H using the Deadlands system.

Chambers
 NPC, 4 posts
Sun 31 Jan 2021
at 21:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
At Kate’s words, the brawler pauses, his eyes widening in surprise as the outlaw takes his strongest attack, and responds with words of scorn. The reaction seems to rattle his confidence and he halts his advance, his clenched fists loosening.

15:09, Today: Chambers rolled 4,5 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Smarts.

Chambers is not able to beat Kansas Kate’s Taunt roll. The outlaw succeeds with a raise. As a result, he is once again shaken and Kansas Kate will have a +2 bonus to her next action against him.

This message was last updated by the player at 21:33, Sun 31 Jan.

Marshal
 GM, 892 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 31 Jan 2021
at 21:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

RJ! - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
KS - Tamsin River
KS - Chambers
10D - Lena Bauer (Incapacitated)
7H - Maria Barcelo
5H - Kansas Kate

4C - Bryan Lee
2D - Patrick Garrett

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying one wound.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8. He is shaken and carrying one wound.

It’s your turn, Ranger Lee.

Bryan Lee
 player, 521 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B0 L1
Mon 1 Feb 2021
at 16:44
XII - A Heart of Thorns
With the unliving gunman down for the moment at least, Lee went to help his friends and allies, first moving for the cards-witch. He moved in on her, then began to deliver a series of lightning quick punches in rapid succession.

OOC:

Bryan hits Barcelo with a 23, 10, and 12, which should result in a hit and raise on each attack. Damage will be 15, 21, and 15.

That should be:
  • Shaken with 1 Wound
  • Shaken with 3 Wounds
  • Shaken with 1 Wound


He is going to Hold his second action to see how Barcelo takes his attack to decide whether to keep wailing on her or to move over to Chambers.




Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
21:11, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 15 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3,3.  Damage 3 (Raise, Wild, Brawler, Martial Artist).
21:11, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 21 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(4+1)5,(6+3)9.  Damage 2 (Raise, Wild, Brawler, Martial Artist).
21:11, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 15 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,2,3.  Damage 1 (Raise, Wild, Brawler, Martial Artist).
21:09, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 12,7 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 8,3.  Improved Frenzy (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:08, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 10,11 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(6+1)7.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).
21:08, Thu 28 Jan: Bryan Lee rolled 23,11 using d10+4,d6+4, rerolling max with rolls of (10+9)19,(6+1)7.  Fighting (Wild Attack, Unarmed Defender).



Marshal
 GM, 894 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 4 Feb 2021
at 18:24
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Okay, bear with me. This took a spot of work to resolve everything. If anything here doesn’t make sense, don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

First, Barcelo possesses the First Strike edge, which entitles her to a free Fighting attack against a foe that moves adjacent to her. That attack interrupts her opponent’s action.

09:12, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 3,9 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+4)10.  Fighting - First Strike.

09:14, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 2,7 using 1d4,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+2)8.  Damage.

Total Damage: 9


As the Ranger closes with the card witch, she turns to face him. She lashes out at his face with her right hand, which bears a protruding blade in the shape of a cross. The attack opens a deep gash on Lee’s chest, which immediately begins to burn.

That result would leave Lee shaken.

The ring is poisoned. In addition to contending with the shaken condition, Lee will need to make a Vigor roll to resist the poison’s effects.


An instant later, the Ranger unleashes a flurry of blows.

OOC: I had to modify the results of Lee’s attacks slightly. The attack rolls contained a modifier for Unarmed Defender. However, Barcelo is not considered unarmed.

Removing that modifier would result in the following totals on the Fighting rolls

  • Attack One: 21
  • Attack Two: 8
  • Attack Three: 10

That change would only impact the second blow, making it a hit, as opposed to a hit with a raise.

In modifying the resulting damage, I simply removed the result on the bonus d6 from the total on the second attack. That accounted for 9 points of damage.

The resulting damage would then be:

  • Attack One: 15
  • Attack Two: 12
  • Attack Three: 15

Giving the results:

  • Shaken with one wound
  • Shaken with one wound
  • Shaken with one wound

She will attempt to soak some of that damage.

11:35, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 3,4 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

11:36, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 6,3 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

Those rolls will remove the wounds and shaken conditions from the first two attacks. The remaining wound will stand. I’m not going to attempt to deal with the shaken condition until Lee determines his course of action for the remainder of the round.

A couple of side notes:

If either the shaken condition or the effects of the poison impose any limitations on Lee in terms of combat ability, I intend to let the results of these initial strikes stand. That’s honestly an attempt to be practical and not complicate matters unnecessarily. In narrative terms, I’m going to say that regardless of what occurs, Lee’s surge of adrenaline enabled him to carry out this barrage of attacks. If there are any ill effects, they would impact any actions the Ranger takes in the second part of the round.

Dr. Wayland, as you’re somewhat high up in the impending initiative order, this may go without saying, but if the Ranger remains engaged with Barcelo through the close of the round, and should she remain an active adversary, a shot with your Voltaic Emitter would assuredly catch the lawman in the burst.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:28, Thu 04 Feb.

Bryan Lee
 player, 522 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F1 W2 R0 B0 L1
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 20:39
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As soon as Barcelo's punch made contact with him, her ring drawing just enough blood though the punch only bruised him, he blinked, and his vision started to cloud. He could only just barely draw together his chi enough to help summon the inner reserves to push through it, but it wasn't enough. He staggered a bit, delivering a few quick strikes as he pushed through with a burst of adrenaline...but his latter three punches faltered, only barely connecting on one as his others seemed to hit one of the multiple versions of her that he was seeing.

OOC:

Spirit 7 should unshake him. Boosted the Vigor roll, so Ranger's body is dealing with the poison. Hopefully can get some help form Miss River later on :)

14:29, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Red Chip to boost Vigor.
15:33, Yesterday: Bryan Lee rolled 7,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max.  Vigor.
15:33, Yesterday: Bryan Lee rolled 4,7 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Spirit.

No wild attacks on the next series of punches:

10:48, Tue 02 Feb: Bryan Lee rolled 3,1 using d10,d6, rerolling max.
10:48, Tue 02 Feb: Bryan Lee rolled 7,4 using d10,d6, rerolling max.
10:47, Tue 02 Feb: Bryan Lee rolled 2,5 using d10,d6, rerolling max.  Fighting.

That means only one of them will hit Barcelo.

Damage: 14

14:36, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 14 using d8+d4+2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(4+3)7.  Damage (Martial Artist, Brawler).

His second action was not Wild, so Bryan returns to his usual Parry of 7

14:38, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 4C using the Deadlands system.  Big money..

Nope. ANOTHER 4C for his initiative :D

Marshal
 GM, 898 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 14:17
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Despite a momentary hesitation, Lee is able to land another solid strike on card wielder, the impact of the punch forcing the air from her lungs with an audible crack. The witch staggers, but manages to keep her feet for the moment, her breath labored.

OOC: Lee’s last hit will leave Barcelo shaken with three wounds.
Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 30 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 14:17
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Seeing the Ranger rush the woman with the cards, Garrett shifts his aim to the well dressed brawler and fires, the shot opening a long, bloody gash on the man’s thigh.

20:04, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 6,5 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  Shooting.

20:05, Today: Patrick Garrett rolled 8 using 2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Damage.

That result would normally result in Chambers being shaken, but as he’s already shaken, it will count as a wound, leaving him shaken with two wounds.

08:04, Today: Patrick Garrett drew the single card: 5S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:19, Tue 09 Feb.

Marshal
 GM, 899 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 14:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AS - Tamsin River
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
8S - Chambers
5S - Patrick Garrett
5H - Kansas Kate
4D - Maria Barcelo
4C - Bryan Lee

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is shaken and carrying three wounds.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8. He is shaken with two wounds.

Miss River, it’s your turn.

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 107 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2021
at 22:45
XII - A Heart of Thorns
16:15, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 12,-1 using 1d8-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+6)14,1.  Spirit .

Bauer is able to recover from being shaken.


Bauer snatches her pistol from the floor beside her, shakily pulling herself into a crouch. ”Is that the best you’ve got you son of a bitch?!?” she demands hoarsely as she fires a shot at the brawler.

The bullet whines past the man’s ear.

16:25, Today: Lena Bauer rolled 2,3 using 1d8-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5. Shooting.

16:36, Today: Lena Bauer drew the single card: AD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 902 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Wed 10 Feb 2021
at 22:45
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AS - Tamsin River - Holding
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
8S - Chambers
5S - Patrick Garrett
5H - Kansas Kate
4D - Maria Barcelo
4C - Bryan Lee

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is shaken and carrying three wounds.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8. He is shaken with two wounds.

Dr. Wayland, you have the floor.

Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 199 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Sat 13 Feb 2021
at 02:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland sidestepped a bit this way...a bit that way.  The humming, crackling toroid emitter at the end of his lightning gun swinging back and forth between the available targets.  He didn't care to risk his companions...for now.  But the enemy didn't necessarily know that. He thumbed a dial on the voltaic cannon and stepped closer to Chambers.  Electricity crackled and snapped in a threatening, distracting (yet very low voltage, just -for-show kind of way).

EDIT! - I take back the hold since I was reminded of Tricks, which I shouldn't have needed reminding about...Holding Action for a clear shot!  Crowded battlefield and AoE Mad Science.

Smarts Trick to Distract Chambers - 4

23:52, Today: Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland rolled 4,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Smarts Trick Vs. Chambers.
 

This message was last edited by the player at 04:53, Sat 13 Feb.

Chambers
 NPC, 5 posts
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 18:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
09:32, Today: Chambers rolled 0,4 using 1d6-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  Smarts.

I actually had to consult the Pinnacle forums about this, as I was uncertain what a tie result on a Trick attempt signified. The official answer is that ties in such situations go to the defender.

11:08, Today: Chambers rolled 4,3 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Spirit.

Chambers is able to shed his shaken condition.


The brawler’s eyes focus on Dr. Wayland as the electricity gun crackles, but he stands his ground, his gaze shifting between the bounty hunter, the deputy, and Kansas Kate.

Apparently deciding that Dr. Wayland and Kansas Kate pose the greatest threat, the well dressed man charges in between them, aiming a flurry of blows at both.

Cast: Blast

Power Points expended: 2

10:58, Today: Chambers rolled 11,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of (8+4)12,3.  Chi Mastery - Blast.

The actual penalty on the roll should have been -2, as Chambers is maintaining a power, which would make the result 10.

As a note, the raise on the Blast will not result in any additional damage.

11:05, Today: Chambers rolled 6 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4.  Blast - Damage.

Total Damage: 6

Dr. Wayland, I would rule that Chambers’ wild blows would be primarily aimed at your and Kansas Kate’s torsos, so your armor would factor in, and as a result, you would be unharmed.

11:21, Today: Chambers rolled 2,5 using 1d6-1,1d6-1.  Smarts.

Chambers will expend an additional 2 Power Points.

11:12, Today: Chambers drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 31 posts
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 18:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Garrett follows the brawler’s movement, preparing to fire another shot at him. Abruptly, the Sheriff’s head turns, his attention drawn to the second floor landing, presumably by a noise. Scowling, Garrett quickly ascends the stairs.
Marshal
 GM, 908 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 18:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AS - Tamsin River - Holding
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
8S - Chambers
5S - Patrick Garrett

5H - Kansas Kate
4D - Maria Barcelo
4C - Bryan Lee

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is shaken and carrying three wounds.

Chambers has a Parry of 8 and a Toughness of 8. He is carrying two wounds.

It’s your turn, Kansas Kate.

Kansas Kate
 player, 588 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 18:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Hat tip to the Marshal for clarifying the positions of the characters and what I can and cannot do before I even asked lol.  First though, 6 damage is enough to be Shaken as Kansas Kate is the proverbial glass cannon, so let's see if she sheds the Shaken naturally.  This will be difficult...

12:30, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 1,2 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,4.  Spirit.

Predictable, but not the end of the world.  Spending a Red as a White to slough off the Shaken effect. And Quick Draw the sixgun!

And just like that, Kansas Kate saw her chance.  Battered and bloody as she was, the mutual antics of the Fancy Man and the erstwhile outlaw had put a dangerous opponent on the edge, and he had committed a grave error.  The question was, could she make him pay for it.

She had to reach deep into a reserve that was already running low, but it had to be now or never.  With a surprisingly agile lunge, she faded to one side, and then came up in perfect duelist form.

The staccato rhythm of the shots made her ears ring, and the smell of the black powder smoke wafted throughout.

Right, so the good news is, last round's trick cancels out Double Kay's wound penalties, meaning this is just the usual Fanning the Hammer roll and not a statistical impossibility lol.

12:36, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 6,4,0,20,5,0,-1 using d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d12-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 8,6,2,(12+10)22,7,2,1.  Fan the Hammer!

Huh, an interesting result that.  I'm going to gamble here and see if I cannot turn that 6 into an 8.

12:37, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Blue.

Got it.

2 Hits with a Raise, 2 Regular Hits

12:39, Today: Kansas Kate rolled 9,5,8,18 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,3d6+1,3d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4,1,3,2,4,1,(6+3)9,5,3.  Damage Roll of Truth!

Right, so (edit, had them in wrong order initially)


8 damage
9 damage
18 damage
5 damage - does nothing


12:42, Today: Kansas Kate drew the single card: 6C using the Deadlands system.

Our great initiative luck continues!


Though the pistol was as hot as a coal by this point, she had dropped the empty metal casings onto the floor before Chambers even registered if he'd been hit or not.  The reloads actually had smears of her own blood on them, which might have amused her in another time and place.

Speeeeeed Looooooad, lol that was a lot of cheeps in 2 rounds

This message was last edited by the player at 18:48, Tue 23 Feb.

Chambers
 NPC, 6 posts
Wed 24 Feb 2021
at 01:05
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Kansas Kate’s third shot will leave Chambers shaken with two wounds. It’s possible that there is a third wound lurking in there, depending on how he fared on his Spirit rolls to address the shaken conditions imposed by the first two shots.

Third wound or no, it gets the job done.


The storm of gunfire opens fresh injuries on the brawler’s right arm and left leg. But one of the bullets slams into his chest, just left of his breastbone. The man’s eyes widen in shock. His balance faltering, he sinks to his knees, looking up at Kansas Kate with undisguised disbelief. Taking a final, shuddering breath, he slumps onto the floor on his side, his eyes suddenly vacant.

OOC: Chambers is dead.
Maria Barcelo
 NPC, 6 posts
Wed 24 Feb 2021
at 01:05
XII - A Heart of Thorns
OOC: Barcelo is still suffering from two shaken conditions.

17:15, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 6,0 using 1d10-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 9,3.

17:16, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 0,4 using 1d10-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+1)7.

She is able to do away with both.


Blood trickling from her nose across her lips, the card witch glares at Lee, an expression of pure hatred. From the deck that she clasps, tendrils of darkness emerge, resembling thick streams of dense smoke. She raises her free hand and snaps her fingers.

17:28, Today: Maria Barcelo rolled 4,2 using 1d10-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 7,5. Spellcasting.

Cast: Obscure

Power Points expended: 2


With a suddenness that is breathtaking, Lee finds himself plunged into total darkness.

Those in other parts of the entry find that a sphere of blackness has overtaken a portion of the room, including the front door and the lower half of the staircase. River, Bauer, and Dr. Wayland all find themselves right at the border of the field of shifting shadows. Try as they might, they can see nothing within it, only impenetrable gloom.

OOC: The area of obscurement imposes conditions of total darkness. Any attacks made into, through, or while within the field receive a -6 penalty.

17:46, Today: Maria Barcelo drew the single card: JD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:20, Wed 24 Feb.

Marshal
 GM, 910 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Wed 24 Feb 2021
at 01:05
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Initiative Order

AS - Tamsin River - Holding
JC - Lena Bauer
9H - Dr. Ezekiel Wayland
8S - Chambers
5S - Patrick Garrett
5H - Kansas Kate
4D - Maria Barcelo

4C - Bryan Lee

Barcelo has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 8. Two points of Barcelo’s Toughness are due to armor. She is carrying three wounds.

You have the floor, Ranger Lee.

Bryan Lee
 player, 525 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F1 W2 R0 B0 L1
Wed 24 Feb 2021
at 03:55
XII - A Heart of Thorns
It came back to him. Fighting on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Great Maze, not far outside of Shan Fan, in the cold early hours of the morning. He was blindfolded, and his master was not. It was one of his final tests, and he had taken more blows than he had been proud to admit, but had kept his balance and won the fight. A fall would have cost him more than his pride. The next fight added another pupil. The next yet another. He wore the only blindfold among them.

Now the darkness was a bit more disturbing, though the stakes were even higher. When one sense went, the others flared up. He remained centered, freeing his mind from any external distractions. The sounds of her movement and breathing, the scent of her perfume...they weren't perfect clues but they were what he'd have to work with now.

He lashed out with six guesses. Four of them were wrong, but it were the two that were right which mattered most.



OOC:

So with a +2 Wild Attack Penalty, and a -6 lighting penalty for blind fighting, he's going to take all his attacks anyway and just hope for some exploding dice. Gotta love Savage Worlds sometimes.

Attacks: 10, 13 (Success and raise on both counts)
Damage: 14, 31 (Shaken with 1 Wound, Shaken with 5 Wounds)

Initiative: Red Joker!


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
20:45, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: RJ! using a deck of 54 cards.  Gimme the loot.
20:42, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 31 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 2 (Martial Artist, Brawler, Wild Attack, Raise).
20:42, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 14 using d8+d4+4+d6, rerolling max.  Damage 1 (Martial Artist, Brawler, Wild Attack, Raise).
20:39, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 1,-1 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack, Darkness).
20:39, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 3,-1 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack, Darkness).
20:39, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 13,0 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack, Darkness).
20:39, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,-1 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Wing Chun (Wild Attack, Darkness).
20:39, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 10,-3 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Frenzy (Wild Attack, Darkness).
20:38, Today: Bryan Lee rolled -1,-2 using d10-4,d6-4, rerolling max.  Fighting (Wild Attack, Darkness).


Marshal
 GM, 911 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 15:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee feels one of his strikes slam into something especially hard, doubtlessly some manner of armor that the card witch wore. A second later, a second blow found the mark, and though Lee’s fist undoubtedly struck his opponent, he feels something envelop his hand and forearm, the solidity he sensed a moment before abruptly vanishing.

At once, the darkness recedes. all trace of the obscuring shadows vanishing from sight. The Ranger sees that his arm is entangled in the dress that the witch wore. From every opening in the garment, gray ash spills out in a steady stream onto the hardwood floor.

The posse members are suddenly aware of a pervasive quiet in the wake of the card witch’s death. The gunfire that filled the grounds of Lawrence Murphy’s ranch house has ceased, the only noise that can be perceived outside that of smoldering buildings previously set alight.

Glancing about, none of those gathered in the entry see any sign of Patrick Garrett.

OOC: Combat over.
Bryan Lee
 player, 527 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F1 W2 R0 B0 L1
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 15:47
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee staggered about, his vision continuing to blur slightly. He looked around from figure to figure, momentarily unable to make out who was who.

"Poisoned...Miss River..." He stumbled briefly in the direction of someone who may or may not be Tamsin. Instead, he decided to lean against the wall for support, attempting to blink away the bleary eyedness, hoping that she'd come to him.

"There's a fella in the other room...not quite done for," he said. "Need to finish...one between the eyes..." His hand grasped weakly at his holster.
Kansas Kate
 player, 589 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 16:10
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As she watched Chambers fall, Kansas Kate couldn't help but think about it.

When you're dealing with two people who can both kill you, you can't try to fight them both at once.  It's better to kill one of them and hope for the best.

There was a time, not long ago, she not only would have said that out loud, she would have taken pleasure in watching him die.  But now, she felt hollow and a little sick.  She'd just killed how many people to get this far in here?  And for what did they die, what here was worth this?  Literally anything else would have been a better use of their time, even whittling a stick.

She realized that for once in her life, this was different.  Circumstances, motivations, and facts all mattered.  Killing was killing but not all killing was equal in terms of the sense of culpability and guilt.

When she looked at Chambers she had to wonder what he and the rest of his ilk were willing to do to people, and for what.  Well, she didn't have to wonder, she knew, because she was his ilk and she hated herself for it.  That wasn't new, but her reaction to it, to want to cry instead of just be even meaner and more bitter, that was new.

She never could have imagined dying, then rising from death, then undying.  That was crazy enough.  But the change in perspective was far harder to deal with.  Things were simple before.  Now she felt things about the consequences of her actions that she hadn't before because she understood.  She didn't have the academic capability of expressing her thoughts coherently, but she understood she had unraveled one of the great mysteries of human existence and she wanted to do something with it, but didn't know what or how.

She looked at the Schofield.  For everything that had happened to her, for all these new thoughts and feelings and insights, was it all for nothing?  She was still here killing people with a gun like always.

She hid all that though, looking at the Doctor Wayland and smiled a bloody, cheeky smile at him.  She coughed, spraying a few blood droplets, then smiled again.  "We have gawt ta quit a'meetin' like this Doc, folk's are gonna gossip."

It was a surprisingly light hearted, if bad, joke.  She walked, stumbling, obviously hurt but not complaining about it because she wasn't the worst off after that dust up.

"Yeah yeah ah got it Ranger, ya'll just try not to die there.  Someone's gonna hafta arrest Murphy's sorry ass an' it shure ain't gonna be me ah'll just kill his ass."  She walked forward, drawing the Toothpick.  She still had enough ammunition for another fight like that, but she was going to conserve it for, well another fight like that.  The Toothpick would do the job.

Just a little bit of the acid was gone out of her voice though.
Tamsin River
 player, 243 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B3 L0
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 17:46
XII - A Heart of Thorns
I’m not entirely clear on how many wounds Ranger Lee has beyond the poison so I couldn’t do the math.
09:39, Today: Tamsin River rolled 9,7 using D8+2,D6+2, rerolling max ((7,5)).
I’ll spend a fate chip on healing Ranger Lee regardless (unless he has no need for healing after the poison is gone).



Tamsin snorted at the interaction between Ranger Lee and Kansas Kate.

“Yes, Ranger Lee, it’s Miss Rivers.”

With Bauer stable at the moment, she steps up to help Lee, grasping his hands. “Why don’t we sit down and get you fixed up?”
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 206 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Fri 26 Feb 2021
at 04:01
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland calmly rolled the dial back to full charge with his thumb as the fighter and the card witch fell.  He set it back to his shoulder and proceeded to sweep the barrel up and around...  Looking for the next threat...  To Kate's comment, he deadpanned, "Let them talk...  Ah am not ashamed..."  The only glance away from his watchguarding was to assess the state of Ranger Lee and the effect of Miss River's skills...
Marshal
 GM, 913 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 04:44
XII - A Heart of Thorns
River administers a careful selection of herbs to the Ranger’s injury and, after a matter of moments, the lawman feels the weakening effects of the card witch’s poison recede.

OOC: Lee loses his level of fatigue. Miss River, hang onto your chip. The Ranger was not carrying any wounds.

A moment later, Andrew Roberts and Desiree Thornton suddenly emerge from the study, expressions of concern on both of their faces. Both appear injured. Although Roberts bears a burn on his left arm, Thornton is clearly in worse condition. Her clothes are torn, her face bruised, and she has multiple lacerations on her shoulder and side.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 50 posts
 Buckshot
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 04:49
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Roberts’ gaze briefly goes to the fallen form of Chambers. ”Ya’ll make it through alright?”
Tamsin River
 player, 245 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B3 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 15:51
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Tamsin stands up, her eyes sweeping the room. “Dr. Wayland or maybe Kate, can you fetch me Mr. Garrett from upstairs? I imagine he will need some fixing up as well,” she asks, looking back as she moves to help the new arrivals. <seagreen>”Ranger Lee, you said something about someone still being alive in the next room, is that right?”

All speaking is done as she moves, picking which remedies from her bag to use for which ailment. ”Ms. Thornton, come here, let me see,” she says even as she walks up to the woman.
Bryan Lee
 player, 528 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R0 B0 L1
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 16:43
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Thank you Miss River. I owe you one. As to the other room, I can confirm that there's definitely nobody alive in there," he said.

"Nothin' for you to concern yourself with at the moment. I think the wounded need your help here. Myself and Kate will see to the other."

He followed Kate into the room where he had left Crawford, finding steadier footing after Tamsin had seen to reviving him.

OOC: Removing the Fatigue

This message was last edited by the player at 18:33, Mon 01 Mar.

Albert Cooper
 player, 522 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 18:26
XII - A Heart of Thorns
A moment after Thornton and Roberts emerge, Albert does as well. His gun is in hand as he looks around quickly, then nods at the rest of the posse. "Howdy, folks. Everyone doin' okay?" He was glad to see Tamsin there and able to tend to Roberts and Thornton.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 207 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Tue 2 Mar 2021
at 04:35
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland gave an easy nod to Miss Rivers suggestion and moved for the stairs, which was the last place he saw the Sheriff during the battle.  The arrival of Roberts and Desiree give him pause and he only levels the lightning gun there way for a moment...  An uncomfortable moment for those under that aim...  But he lifts the business end up and safely away again.

He started again for the stairs, only to pause again as Cooper stepped in.  The same wary treatment, the same uncomfortable moment....then the bounty hunter's brain once again decides not to loose the lightning on a friend.

The emitter aimed now at the roof, for safety in this increasingly crowded space, while the bounty hunter continued to make his way up.  To the recent arrivals, he tips his top hat in a somewhat ostentatious fashion, "Welcome to the house...  Ah am well, thank you."
Marshal
 GM, 915 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 03:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee and Kansas Kate find the study just as the Ranger left it. The body of the mysterious ranch hand, his gray skin still shifting with the movement of phantom faces and hands that are seemingly trapped beneath it, still lies where he fell, showing no signs of consciousness.

Jacinta Castillo and Tom Horn step into the entry alongside Albert Cooper.

Desiree Thornton acquiesces to River’s ministrations without protest, the concerned frown on her face fading, replaced with an expression of weariness. Roberts kneels beside the body of the brawler, studying the dead man’s face as though he might recognize him.

From his position on the staircase, Dr. Wayland sees a group of eight men, all but one carrying lever action rifles at the ready, file onto the upstairs landing from the adjoining eastern hallway. Aside from the rifles, each is wearing a gun belt. One of the men is leading Patrick Garrett, who is walking with his hands raised, his pistol apparently confiscated.
John Kinney
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 03:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The lone man who is not carrying a rifle has a lined face and hair the color of iron. His wide brimmed hat sits low on his brow. He looks at Dr. Wayland, then at the others that he can see gathered below, before addressing the bounty hunter.

”I think it’s best you leave, now. There’s been enough killin’ here today, wouldn’t you agree?”

He pauses, letting out a bitter sigh.”You go, no one else gets hurt. That’s not me threatening you. Part of the reason I let myself get roped into this damned mess is because I don’t want to see anyone else in the valley lose their lives. Lot of good people in Lincoln.” He nods at Garrett. ”Sheriff’s one of ‘em. Everyone I’ve spoken to says he’s a man of his word. Deals fairly with all he meets. Wish I’d had the chance to know him under different circumstances.”

“You keep this up, more innocent folks are gonna die. It shouldn’t be so, but the way that bastard Murphy sees it, you’ll have forced his hand. That may not matter much to you. This ain’t your home. But it’s mine. And it will be long after you’ve put it behind you.”

“So go. You dealt with some bad people. Gave ‘em what they surely had comin’. But you press on, folks that ain’t done any wrong will get killed. And I can’t have that.”

“Sheriff can leave with you, of course. As I said, I’ve nothin’ against him.”

Kansas Kate
 player, 590 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 20:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate looked grim.  That was weirdly impressive for something to make her look so disgusted.

After staring at it a moment her resolve hadn't wavered.  Whatever in the blue hell that was, it was evil and it needed to die.

She kneeled over the prone figure and took the Toothpick in both hands and lined up her stab.  She intended to shove the blade right through at the temple.  It was going to be brutal but efficient, the way she'd want to die if someone killed her with a knife.
Albert Cooper
 player, 523 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Thu 4 Mar 2021
at 02:50
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Albert pushed his hat up a little higher on his head as he looked up at the man who was addressing them. He nodded once. "The sheriff seems a good fella, on that we can agree. But this is my home. And as such, I feel like I oughta do some good here. Much as I can 'fore the inevitable. I owe that to...let's just say a lotta people."

He raised an eyebrow. "An' while I agree there's mebbe been too much killin', also mebbe there's gotta be one more. Aint' gotta be more'n that, though. So mebbe y'all should take yer own advice. Decide that no more folk that don't deserve it don't get killed." Albert mentally counted the negatives, but decided he'd probably be understood, regardless.

"If yer really interested in Lincoln, you prolly gotta purty good idea of what's best fer it, if ya think real hard."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 208 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Fri 5 Mar 2021
at 04:30
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Dr. Wayland, having found the Sheriff, decided this was far enough up the stairs for now.  He took note of the many rifles now pointing towards him and his companions.  In fairness, he decided that they likely wouldn't mind him aiming the lightning gun back at them.  Fair is fair.  His opinion on what more killing might need to be done and to whom he kept to himself.  Too many cooks spoil the soup...
Bryan Lee
 player, 530 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R0 B0 L1
Fri 5 Mar 2021
at 05:13
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee drew his pistol. He didn't remember the last time he had used it, but if Kansas Kate seemed to waver or hesitate, he wouldn't. Still, she had come here as asked and he wouldn't interfere unless things were taking too long.

"Best get a move on it, Kate," he said. "Sounds like there's some company out there, and in this place, company ain't good."
Kansas Kate
 player, 591 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 01:28
XII - A Heart of Thorns
She looked at it in utter disgust for a split second longer.

Then the Toothpick descended and bit.  Once.  Twice.  Three times.  Over and over again in a powerful staccato rhythm, even strokes, both hands on the hilt.
Marshal
 GM, 917 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 17:19
XII - A Heart of Thorns
As the Toothpick does its grisly work, the outlaw notices that no blood arises from the deep wounds that she inflicts. The prone figure gives no reaction to the assault, but after a few moments, the unsettling movements beneath his skin come to a halt.
John Kinney
 NPC, 2 posts
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 17:21
XII - A Heart of Thorns
The man’s face reddens and his jaw works. He shakes his head. ”If it’s as you say, then you already know some of the things that have gone on here. People’s land ruined. Their crops choked off. Their children taken from ‘em. Honest folks reduced to nothin’, or killed outright.”

“If you know all that and are still thinkin’ to come up here and kill Lawrence Murphy, it don’t prove that you’re on the right side of anything. It proves you’re a damned fool.”

“If Murphy’s able to do all these things, what makes you think he can’t make them happen again? That he won’t call up all that and more if you press on with this?. It ever dawn on you that rather than makin’ folks prisoners or ruinin’ their fields, he could’ve just put ‘em all in the ground? That maybe he actually held back from what he was capable of?”

“He’s a bastard. He’s heard me say as much. Just another greedy son of a bitch that thinks he should own everything he sees. I’m not about to claim that he’s right. He isn’t. But he has the power to make what he wants happen. And if you keep interfering, more folks will die. He’ll do it just to prove that he can.”


He glances at the men gathered with him. ”My boys and I, we can put our hands on wagons, food. Take those that want it north. Colorado. Kansas. A place where they can build a new life.”

He gestures at those gathered on the lower floor. ”Looks like some of you had a hell of a time just contendin’ with Murphy’s help. Now, you really think you’re just gonna walk up here and kill him? I’m not just savin’ lives out in the valley. I’m savin’ yours.”
Henry McCarty
 NPC, 32 posts
 William Bonney
 Billy the Kid
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 17:21
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Footfalls sound at the ranch house’s front door. A trio of the Regulators enter: Billy, Scurlock, and Chavez y Chavez, the latter carrying a seeping wound on his left arm.

The Kid, his thumbs hooked in his gunbelt, looks up at the gathered gunmen upstairs with a scowl. He addresses their leader.

”You’re seriously wantin’ everybody to just walk away, John? Just let things be? Murphy murdered Mr. Tunstall. You know that as well as I do. And you think we should leave that unanswered?”
John Kinney
 NPC, 3 posts
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 17:22
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”John Tunstall was one of the best men ever to set foot in this valley,” the man replies evenly. ”But havin’ your revenge won’t bring him back, Billy. It‘ll only cost other folks dearly.”
Kansas Kate
 player, 592 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 20:36
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kansas Kate shuddered a little bit at the horrible thing, and cut it in key places a few times to make sure it was dead dead.  She'd take the head off if time permitted, but they didn't have that kind of time.

She needed a bit of air, walking back in with her side bleeding, her body wanting to quit but her mind not letting it.

"Revenge is fer idjits."  Kansas Kate replied in her nails-on-a-chalkboard voice but with an uncharacteristically cool tone.

No, no.  No more of that, ya used up all ya needed to of that.  That's fer idjits too.

She stepped forward.  "Ah came here ta shoot mah pa.  Didja know that?  Reckon not.  Nor do ah reckon ya care.  Ya shud-int, ah shur as hell don't, not no more.  Though ah'm sure he needs it."

It was a very strange voice, unrefined, scratchy, but lacking in that anger and acidity, not deliberately unpleasant like it had been before.

The former Wichita Witch squared her eyes to his.  "Ah ain't a smart gal.  Ah ain't pretty neither, mighta been once 'fore mah face got cut an' burnt.  Ah don't know even after all this if ah believe in a damn thing.  Ah don't know if there's a God like them church folks say, ah don't know if the idea of justice or other pretty words means a damn thing in this sorry ass shithole of a world.  But there's two things ah does know.  One thing ah don't believe in no more is nothin'Nothin's a big ass lie.  Ah don't believe in believin' nothin' an ah don't belive in doin' nothin' so ya shove that idea right up yer arse."

"Th' other thing ah know is thar's evil, and thar's evil.  Ah know what evil is.  They's two kinds of it.  There's th' evil that's our sorry lot, th' evil we do ta ourselves.  Th' evil mah pa done, th' evil mah ma done, an th' evil ah done, it goes on an' on an yooshually t'ain't a damn thing a body can do about it.  That's the evil we has ta accept."

She stepped forward.  She lifted her right hand, the one covered in the velvet glove she never removed, not until now.  She peeled it off.  The pentagram the witches had burned into it was still there.  She hated it, but she was done hiding and showed it.  "Th' other kind of evil is bullshit like this!"

A little bit of her usual sound came back just briefly in that statement before she dropped the hand.  "Ah just kilt me a thing in there what shouldn't be.  It takes a cockless little shitchewing bitch like Murphy ta work his will by relyin' on sech things as that.  A man who cain't use th' evil what comes in his heart ta any ends he desires ain't no man.  An a man who ain't a man ain't shit, an neither is you.  Ya wants to go warn folks, do it, but you done get the hell out of here."
Bryan Lee
 player, 531 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R0 B0 L1
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 15:38
XII - A Heart of Thorns


Lee followed Kate to the room's doorway, but no further. He listened to her say her piece before adding his own.

"John Kinney: This is Texas Ranger Bryan Lee. You're not a murderer. You served your country with distinction, and while you may have fallen into a little outlawry, it's nothing you can't evade. But you continue down this path, and you'll have crossed a line - along with all the men with you - and I promise on my own account and that of the Texas Rangers, it's one we will not forget. You seem to care about the people in this locality, which moves me a bit, so I'll make you an offer.

"Join us or get out of the way, and I'll see to it that all y'all will have a note of honorable conduct in this here incident in your Ranger files to serve as a counterweight against your other deeds - and we can forget this little dust up here wherein you threatened to murder those deputized in aid to the Texas Rangers. If you leave, I promise no pursuit or inquiry into the direction you've gone. You join, and I will work on clearing your records of any non murderous conduct you may have engaged in."


OOC:

Persuasion: 5 (if any of them respects the Texas Rangers, then 7...it's a stretch, but you never know)

Note: I'm hoping to persuade not just Kinney, but anyone with him.

09:35, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4,5 using d6,d6, rerolling max.  Persuasion.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:43, Mon 08 Mar.

Albert Cooper
 player, 524 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 18:48
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Albert remained relaxed as the voices of his friends joined to his own refusal to back down. He had held back a few points that could still be made, but he waited to see what sort of response there would be to the Ranger's offer. If he were on the other side, it would be mighty tempting.

He did frown briefly at the sight of the pentagram. It reminded him of the wife he once had and the life they'd briefly built. It also reminded him of the revenge he had taken. And while it hadn't brought her back from beyond the grave, it had felt pretty good. Maybe he was just one of those idjets.

The cowboy still held his gun in hand, but wasn't currently threatening anyone with it. He could change that quickly enough if necessary.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 342 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Tue 9 Mar 2021
at 06:33
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Jacinta wasn't much of a talker.  She'd never been.  Talking drew attention and got you hurt or killed.  She wasn't a braggart.  She wasn't out for glory.  She just did what needed to be done, mainly to survive.  And that didn't include running her mouth.  So she watched stoically and waited, rifle reloaded and ready for what would inevitably come.  There were too many big egos and swinging dicks in the house for anyone to just walk away.
John Kinney
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 9 Mar 2021
at 16:31
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Kinney makes no effort to interrupt those who are addressing him. When Lee finishes his statement, the outlaw is silent for a long moment.

Then, turning to the rifleman guarding Patrick Garrett, Kinney nods. The gunman pulls Garrett’s pistol from where it has been tucked into his gunbelt and hands the weapon to the sheriff, stepping away from him.

”I think what you’re doin’ is suicide,” Kinney says, ”but I ain’t gonna add to the bloodshed. If Murphy comes after me later, I’ll have to contend with that on my own terms.”

The riflemen lower their weapons.

”We’re gonna ride into Lincoln. Anyone’s in trouble, we’ll try to get ‘em to Roswell, or maybe the Jinglebob Ranch. Chisum’s got more money than he knows what to do with. He can afford to put up some people in need.”

He scans the gathering on the lower floor and sighs. ”I don’t reckon I’ll see any of you again. If I’m wrong, well that’ll make for a pleasant surprise.”

Kinney moves down the staircase, his fellow outlaws falling in behind him. As he steps toward the front door, he pauses beside Kansas Kate. ”Upstairs, down the hall,” he tells her, ”Last door on the left.”

With that, the outlaw leader and his gang depart.
Albert Cooper
 player, 525 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 17:31
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Albert nodded at Kinney's statements. "Thanks, fella. Mebbe we'll see ya, mebbe we won't. Appreciate ya helping other folk out, though."

He then looked around at the rest of the posse to see if they were ready, or if they wanted to chat a bit before proceeding.
Bryan Lee
 player, 532 posts
 Texas Ranger (8/20 PP)
 P7 T6 W0 F0 W2 R0 B0 L1
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 21:12
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Lee tips his hat to Kinney as he departs, and gestures upstairs to the others.

"The fella in that room over there intimated that Murphy was hoping that we'd get sucked into a fight down here so that he could finish up whatever devilry he's got goin' on up there. Let's go get us a heart."
Kansas Kate
 player, 593 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W0 R1 B0 L#
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 01:57
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Heh, ah could draw me a little picture here..."  Kansas Kate mused for a moment, spreading a little bit of her own blood on the wall from her red fingertips.  "...well, good a time as any."
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 209 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 14:18
XII - A Heart of Thorns

Once the matter with Kinney and his men had seemingly come to a peaceful resolution, Dr. Wayland lifted the business end of his lightning gun up and away from pointing at them.  The scientist looked...let down?  Surely not.

Wayland stepped to the side of the stairs as Kinney and his men filed away down the stairs.  The scientist did seem to have a quick whispered discussion...possibly with the riflemen, but also possibly just for his own benefit.  Whatever it was didn't seem to attract more than curious, sidelong glances from those departing.

Wayland then completed his ascent to the Sheriff's side.  This completing his original mission, "Well, that certainly went bettah than expected...  Maybe things are looking up...". His words were hopeful.  His tone was not.
Tamsin River
 player, 246 posts
 Flower Power
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R2 B3 L0
Sat 13 Mar 2021
at 12:53
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Ms. Bauer, we're not entirely done yet, are  we." Tamsin says. Cheery voice, neutral face. Lena had been on the brink of death. "Let me take a look at that properly, now that we have a moment."

Spending two fate chips to use greater healing as per my knack.
Kansas Kate
 player, 595 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W2 R3 B0 L#
Sat 13 Mar 2021
at 23:04
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Hating to ask for help, but realizing the dire situation, Kansas Kate shambled over to get in line behind the worse-injured.

"Hate to ask ya this, but can ya'll, ah dunno, pull a bullet out 'er knacker somethin' together in there so ah can hold a gun wit'out it shakin'?  Don't have to be proper doctorin', ah can die right after it's over.  Hell Doc, you got a way to heat up th' Toothpick in yer pile o' doom 'n gloom, mebbe a piece of hot metal pressed 'gainst the worst of it could do 'er."
Kansas Kate
 player, 597 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W2 R3 B0 L#
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 20:38
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Apologies for Double Post but I forgot the cards.  Playing this, now.

quote:
3H - Snake Oil
“Let’s make a deal.”
Play anytime. An enterprising snake oil salesman arrives in the middle of the scene (no matter where it takes place), complete with wagon and entourage, promoting his wares. He'll have something in his inventory useful for the current situation.


Patrick Garrett
 NPC, 32 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 17:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
”It did, actually,” Garrett says in agreement with Dr. Wayland, ”Likely could’ve gone even better if I hadn’t rushed up there like a damned schoolboy.” He pauses. ”We make it through this, I figure I owe Kinney and his people at least a few days’ head start before I go lookin’ for ‘em.”

“Murphy sure as hell isn’t gonna go that easy. I reckon he’s ready to kill anyone who sets foot up there. Has some kind of trap waiting, no doubt.”

Lena Bauer
 NPC, 108 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 17:27
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Bauer releases a slow breath as River completes her ministrations. The deputy shakes her head in wonder. ”Guess Ava Winter wasn’t tellin’ any fib when she said you were gifted. I’m much obliged to you, ma’am.”

Opening her pistol, she reloads it methodically, glancing up at the balcony above.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 51 posts
 Buckshot
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 17:28
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Roberts approaches Kansas Kate, drawing a bundle of dark colored herbs from one of the pouches on his belt. He offers the dried plants, secured together with two pieces of twine, to the outlaw.

“I was given these a year or so back. When I was chasin’ a fella out on the Llano,” he tells her, ”Got myself shot in the chest. I was found by a Comanche brave I’d befriended, Red Horse, who took me to a medicine man.”

“He used these same plants on my injury. Healed it up fast. Gave me these should I ever fall into trouble again. He’d blessed it, same as those he put on my chest.”


He pauses. ”We’ll need to wet it down with water, but it will staunch the bleeding, close those wounds up quick. But it’ll burn like fire. Worse than pourin’ whiskey straight onto ‘em.”

Overhearing the conversation, Chavez y Chavez walks over, offering his canteen.

OOC: The herb bundle, when applied, will heal up to three wounds.
Kansas Kate
 player, 599 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W2 R3 B0 L#
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 23:45
XII - A Heart of Thorns
"Any'un else need it worse?  Ah'm hurt, but ah ain't only 'un."

Looking around and seeing the real bad cases were mended, she nodded to Roberts and Chavez y Chavez.

"Well, if it hurts that bad ah reckon it's what ah deserve.  Let's do 'er while we're still young."

With that, she quickly removed the sling from her rifle and and put it between her upper and lower teeth.  She figured clamping down on that would at least stifle the screaming.
Dr. Ezekiel Q. Wayland
 player, 214 posts
 Have Science.Will Travel.
 P4 T5/7 W0 F0 W3 R2 B0 L0
Wed 17 Mar 2021
at 03:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Dr. Wayland nodded lightly as he listened to the Sheriff and observed the preparations of the others, "Oh yes...  Some sort of deeply wicked and diabolical trap, no doubt...   Ah would expect no less."  He laid the lightning gun in the crook of his arm a moment, freeing a hand to methodically go through the motions of changing out the ammo cylinder on his gatling.  To himself, or something very like it, he muttered, "No, Ah haven't forgotten about the hostages, but there's little to be done now.  Spilled milk...  cracked eggs...  omelets...."

Finished, he dropped the gatling back into the holster and turned to the Sheriff again, "Ah find myself thinking of breakfast.  Hopeful sign.  Thinking of the future..."  He tried a smile to set minds at ease.  It probably didn't.
Albert Cooper
 player, 531 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Wed 17 Mar 2021
at 04:41
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Similar to some of the others, Albert double-checked that his pistol was loaded and included that special bit of ammo where he'd added a few runes. Seemed likely to finally come in handy. As it was the last bit of gun wizardry at his disposal, it had better help.

Albert nodded at Kate. "Ain't got no need myself, double-kay, but thanks fer the offer. Get yerself fixed up an' let's finish what's been started."
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 52 posts
 Buckshot
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 18:52
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Roberts gently places the herbs against Kansas Kate’s wound. He holds up a hand, a silent request for Chavez y Chavez to hold for a moment.

”When I was real young, I was...well, I was real foolish,” he tells the outlaw, ”I was in Kansas. Abilene. Thought I was smart enough to get away with somethin’. I was wrong. Got myself gut shot.”

“Horse doctor took pity on me. Dragged me to a blacksmith. Dug the bullet out, had the smith slap hot iron on the wound. They didn’t have any whiskey.”


He gestures to the herbs. ”This...it’s not far from how that felt. I’m sorry. But it will do away with this wound.”

He looks back at Chavez y Chavez and nods. The Regulator empties his canteen on the bundle.

The burning is just as Roberts described, but within moments, when the bounty hunter lifts the bundled plants away, Kansas Kate’s wound has vanished.

OOC: Both of Kansas Kate’s wounds are healed.
Kansas Kate
 player, 601 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W2 F0 W2 R3 B0 L#
Fri 19 Mar 2021
at 00:09
XII - A Heart of Thorns
She grunted and let out a slew of unpleasant noises.  The leather had been a good idea, but it tasted terrible.

"...ugh... the man Jesus of Nazareth hisself just punted me in th' babby-maker..."  She remarked after it was all over.
Henry McCarty
 NPC, 33 posts
 William Bonney
 Billy the Kid
Fri 19 Mar 2021
at 18:05
XII - A Heart of Thorns
Billy nods in agreement with Cooper’s sentiment, carefully checking the loads in each of his pistols before returning them to their holsters. ”Long past time we saw this business settled.”