XIIA - From the Shadows.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 886 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal
8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn
4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat.

Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 48 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
12:19, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 2,1 using 1d6-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

Thornton is unable to soak the wound inflicted by the infernal. That will leave her carrying 2 wounds. (The first was inflicted before the posse arrived.)

12:19, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 6,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Spirit.

That roll should have carried a -2 modifier. Even with the -2 penalty, it remains a success.

She is able to shed the shaken condition.


Trembling visibly, her tattered clothes darkened with soot, Thornton clenches her jaw, training Horn’s revolver on the burning figure.

Thornton will spend the round aiming.

12:26, Today: Desiree Thornton drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:10, Sun 24 Jan.

Infernal
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot, which is AP 2, will leave the infernal shaken with 1 wound.

Cooper’s attack will leave it shaken with 3 wounds.

The hellspawn will try to contend with each of those in turn.

12:01, Today: Infernal rolled 16,17 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (10+6)16,(6+6+5)17.  White Chip - Soak Roll

It manages to soak the wound inflicted by Castillo, shedding the shaken condition as well.

12:02, Today: Infernal rolled 1,11 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+5)11.  Red Chip - Soak Roll.

It’s able to soak 2 of the wounds Cooper’s shot caused, but not the third, leaving it with 1 wound.

12:05, Today: Infernal rolled 1,4 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Spirit.

It is able to overcome the remaining shaken condition.


Castillo and Cooper’s shots ring out in the cellar, the reports of their weapons echoing in the enclosed space. For an instant, the fiery creature’s flame flickers and it appears to wobble in midair. It regains its composure quickly, however, sending another blast of flame in the direction of those that injured it.

12:35, Today: Infernal rolled 4,4 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Shooting.

12:37, Today: Infernal rolled 4 using 1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Red Chip -Shooting

Total Shooting 8

12:42, Today: Infernal rolled 9,2 using 2d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2,2.  Damage.

Total Damage: 11

The cone of flame will potentially hit Castillo, Cooper, and Roberts. Each can dodge the attack with an Agility roll that beats the infernal’s Shooting roll.

Anyone who is hit will need to also make a roll with 1d6. A roll of 6 indicates that they have caught on fire.

12:47, Today: Infernal drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 18:58, Sun 24 Jan.

Marshal
 GM, 887 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:57
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal

8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn
4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat.

Your turn, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 337 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 04:55
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the flames rushed toward her, Jacinta flung herself sideways, rolling along the ground and coming up in a crouch.  Rifle butted against her shoulder, she honed in on her target and pulled the trigger, another deafening crack bouncing about the walls of the small space.


Agility: 12 (11 +1 Dodge)
Shooting: 9 (1 Raise)
Damage: 18 (AP2) (w/ Raise & +2 Smite)
Initiative: 3H


21:31, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2,11 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+5)11.  Agility - Dodge.
21:36, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,2 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,2.  Shooting.
21:39, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 11,5 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4,5.  Damage w/ Raise.
21:42, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 3H using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

In Effect:
Dodge - Attackers must subtract 1 from their ranged attack rolls when targeting her
Smite - +2 to Damage (2/15 shots)

Marshal
 GM, 888 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot spears the burning creature in the chest, prompting a roar of pain from the hellspawn. Whatever force holds it in the air falters, the monster dropping down within a few feet of the cellar floor.

Castillo’s attack leaves the infernal shaken with 2 wounds. It is now carrying a total of 3 wounds.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 49 posts
 Buckshot
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
22:20, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 1,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,2.  Agility.

22:20, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Fire

Roberts is unable to avoid the torrent of flame. The attack leaves him shaken with one wound.

22:28, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,0 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Spirit.

He is able to overcome the shaken condition.


Shouldering his own rifle, Roberts fires a shot at the flame cloaked figure, but the bullet misses the creature’s head by inches.

22:50, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 2,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Shooting.

22:53, Today: Andrew Roberts drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Tom Horn
 NPC, 16 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn was left shaken by the infernal’s attack from the previous round.

22:59, Today: Tom Horn rolled 3,2 using 1d6,1d6.  Spirit.

He remains shaken.


Muttering a series of curses, Horn violently slaps at his chest, arms, and legs, struggling to ensure that no flames find purchase on him.

23:01, Today: Tom Horn drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 889 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal
8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn

4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat. It is carrying 3 wounds.

You have the floor, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 514 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:37
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the flames shot in his general direction, Albert slipped his bulk out of the way, placing his left hand on his hat to avoid having it spill onto the floor. He took aim at the offending demon and launched another magical bullet in its direction. He really enjoyed plugging evil creatures full of white hot lead, a fact that the cowboy's slight smile emphasized.

OOC: 9 agility, 6 to-hit, 13 damage (AP1) which I think is another wound.

21:34, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative .

21:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 13 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Damage (AP1).

21:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting (Marksman).

21:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 9,2 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,2.  Agility.

Marshal
 GM, 893 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 31 Jan 2021
at 22:04
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper’s shot slams into the fiery creature’s chest. The infernal being lets out a howl of anger, the flame that engulfs it flaring for an instant before flickering, then extinguishing completely. The skeletal form that was hidden within the blaze drops to the broken floor, crumbling into ash as it strikes it, the gray powder scattering in every direction.

OOC: Combat over.

Shakily, Desiree Thornton lowers Tom Horn’s pistol. She hands it back to the stage guard, who is now satisfied that no part of him is burning. The saloon keeper limps over to the open cell. ”Mrs. Kearney? Lee? Are you two alright?” Her fellow captives respond with quiet nods.

Above, a rumble like a peal of thunder rattles the ceiling, dust falling from the timbers overhead.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 338 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 1 Feb 2021
at 08:23
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta let out a breath, checking herself for any signs of singed clothing.  After checking on herself, she looked to the others.  As the prisoners were already being seen to, her eyes lifted to the ceiling.

"Maybe the best place to stay safe and out of trouble is down here," she remarked.  "Coop, sounds like trouble upstairs. You ready?"  Calmly, she replaced the bullets that she'd spent.
Albert Cooper
 player, 515 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Tue 2 Feb 2021
at 22:24
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert followed Jacinta's gaze and train of thought. "Yea, mebbe. So long as no more demons come out ta say 'hi'. The hallway with them friendly ghosts might be better. Either way...don't go upstairs jus' yet. An' don't leave out that secret exit, neither."

The cowboy looked down at his pistol and reloaded. "Anything else that may be of interest to us as we keep huntin'?" Albert looked at the former prisoners to see if they had any information that might be of use.
Marshal
 GM, 895 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 4 Feb 2021
at 18:54
XIIA - From the Shadows
Lee, the young cowhand, speaks up. ”John Kinney and some of his boys were down here last night. He weren’t real pleased to see Miz Kearney and Miz Thornton locked up down here. Him and some of the other outlaws were talkin’ about how they didn’t much like Mr. Murphy’s ways. But one of ‘em mentioned that while several of ‘em stayed out in the bunkhouse, and helped patrol Mr. Murphy’s range, since a couple of days back, at least five or six of ‘em were made to stay here in the house, on account of Mr. Murphy bein’ afeared of someone attacking the ranch.”

“Ol’ Kinney didn’t seem none too happy about it.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 516 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 16:14
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded. "Thanks. Mebbe we can isolate Murphy from folk that ain't quite like him."

He looked around. "Anything else?"

Absent any other nuggets of wisdom, Albert will proceed upstairs, having fully reloaded his weapon.
Marshal
 GM, 900 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
“Yessir,” the cowhand answers, ”If’n you can avoid it, I reckon you’ll want to stay away from Mr. Murphy’s room upstairs.”  The look that accompanies this statement is one of hollow eyed fear.

The young man then turns his attention to the softly weeping Mrs. Kearney.
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 49 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the group heads for the stairs, Desiree Thornton locates an iron rod among the collection of supplies gathered in the western side of the cellar. Supporting it with her shoulder, she falls behind the others as they ascend the stairs, a grim expression on her face.
Marshal
 GM, 901 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
At the top of the steep stairwell, the group reach a polished oak door, a portal much more ornate than the cellar it leads to. Pausing, the group can hear the sharp sounds of gunfire from somewhere beyond it.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 339 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 15 Feb 2021
at 06:25
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta didn't hesitate.  She assumed her friends were inside and that they would need the backup.  Shouldering the door open, rifle at the ready, she went in search of the fight.
Marshal
 GM, 909 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 19:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
Pushing the door open, Castillo finds herself within a small room. A round table, not unlike those found in saloons, occupies one side of the space, surrounded by four chairs. Sitting atop the table is a thin, leatherbound book, the cover scuffed with wear, alongside what appears to be a bundle of black, thorny vines, the same sort that had invaded the schoolhouse in Lincoln, along with the crops of many farmers in the area. A  dark colored pouch, held closed with a drawstring, has also been placed there.

On the walls hang several pieces of what the group guesses to be vellum, each piece adorned with a single symbol, painted in black. Although their immediate meaning is unclear, regarding the paintings for even a moment leads to an unsettling feeling of discomfort.


To the left, a single door stands open, leading into what appears to be a study. In front of the doorway lies the body of a man dressed for the range. He does not stir at the group’s arrival, though all that look at him have the strange sense that his sickly gray skin is writhing.

In the study, the gathering can see another door standing open on the southern wall, leading into what appears to be a large entry with a staircase. An instant later, from within the entry, there is the roar of multiple gunshots.

OOC: Anyone wanting to rush to the room with the staircase will need to provide me with an initiative draw, just in case. Those doing so will be moved to the A Heart of Thorns thread, and will join combat (provided it is ongoing) at the beginning of the next round.
Albert Cooper
 player, 519 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 20:36
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert glanced around, though he didn't note anything requiring immediate attention here. He looked over at Jacinta. "Mebbe help our friends first?" The others could probably take a good look at this room while they were above.
Marshal
 GM, 912 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 15:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
Through the open door to the entry, things become noticeably quiet. With a concerned frown, Andrew Roberts moves in that direction, Desiree Thornton close behind him.

OOC: Those moving to the entry will no longer need to give me an initiative draw.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 341 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 05:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Yea, better go take a look.  Hope everyone is on this side of the grave," she muttered.  Rifle in hand, she followed the others in search of their friends.
Albert Cooper
 player, 521 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 18:23
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded and started to head that direction as well.

OOC: Which NPCs are currently with us? Albert wants to make sure this area is appropriately investigated, but is concerned for the well-being of his friends.
Marshal
 GM, 914 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 02:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
OOC: I’m going to close this thread since the posse is essentially reunited.

Tom Horn is the only NPC who didn’t immediately head out of the study, but he’ll follow Cooper and Castillo as they proceed to the entry.

If anyone wants to investigate the study and adjoining rooms, they can do so in the A Heart of Thrones thread. I believe that Lee and Kansas Kate are headed there.