XIIA - From the Shadows.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 792 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
The Mescalero warriors, along with their companions, work their way across Murphy’s land with patient precision, remaining unseen and unheard. Leaving their horses well behind the ridge that lies west of Murphy’s home, they cross the last stretch of flatland on foot. They are scrupulously watchful, pausing at each sound, each unknown shadow, ensuring that nothing is allowed to register their presence.

They gather at a low depression to the north of the stables, well outside of the lantern light that illuminates the structure’s interior, as well as a wide circle around it. His rifle in hand, Andrew Roberts glances up at the night sky. ”Wind’s quiet,” he whispers, ”Maybe it’s waiting. Saving it’s strength so it can sweep whatever’s left away once we’re done.”

From the vantage point of the depression, the gathered riders can see that the stables are guarded by two men and a woman. The two men are stationed at the stable’s main entrance, both armed with rifles. The woman is seated in a chair inside, a shotgun across her lap, toying with a cylindrical piece of metal that hangs around her neck on a chain. Although none of the three appear pensive, all seem alert.

Besides the guards, none of the riders observe anyone else in the vicinity of the stables.
Albert Cooper
 player, 469 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 01:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert moved quietly and carefully along with the others. He squinted in the direction of the various buildings, though more of his attention was on the stables than anywhere else.

At Roberts' commentary, Albert quietly grunted. "Lack wind makes our job more difficult. Or least slower. Let's be careful as we approach." Albert checked his weapon, then looked up at Roberts and nodded.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 310 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 07:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta lay prone on her belly at the edge of the depression, rifle against her shoulder as she surveyed the ranch.  A slight frown appeared as she spotted those guarding the barn.  Quietly, she leaned closer to Albert and the others to speak.

"The men I understand, but who is the woman inside?  Have to stay outside of that circle of light to get at 'em, but not much cover between here and there.  Could take 'em out from here, but that'd ruin the surprise."
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 40 posts
 Buckshot
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts is silent for a moment as he studies the scene.”I don’t recognize any of their faces. I haven’t seen ‘em on any posters anywhere. Of course, there’s plenty of bad sorts that never end up with a reward tied to ‘em”
Tom Horn
 NPC, 10 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
”Their faces don’t mean anything to me either,” Horn agrees, gently checking the cartridges in his Winchester. ”Someone with Murphy’s money, they could reach out just about anywhere for hired guns.”
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 43 posts
 Roving Wolf
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:35
XIIA - From the Shadows
”It seems strange to me. A man expecting danger. Waiting for hunters to come to his home. And yet, he leaves only three to watch over his way out,” Roving Wolf whispers.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 41 posts
 Buckshot
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:35
XIIA - From the Shadows
”What are you thinkin’?” Roberts asks, looking to Cooper and Castillo, ”You want to try to take them down, quiet like, before all the shooting starts? See if we can get inside? We might have the means to make that happen.” A trio of the Apache warriors nod in agreement.

”Or you think it’s better to rush ‘em? Shoot ‘em down the minute the Regulators start their ruckus?”
Albert Cooper
 player, 470 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 19:16
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert tipped his head side to side for a few moments. "I think we should wait fer the distractions that're happenin' elsewhere ta see how these folk react. Might reduce their numbers fer us, or at least split 'em up. Might also give us a chance ta sneak up on these folk."

He looked around at the others briefly. "Ranger said we're s'posed ta co-ordinate our timin' with theirs. An that plan seems sound."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 311 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 04:03
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta nodded in agreement.  "They're supposed to be a distraction, not us.  If we start something and it gets loud, then all this sneakin' is for nothing."  She turned her gaze elsewhere, searching for signs of movement from the house or any other figures lurking in the darkness.  "They shouldn't be too long now."
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 42 posts
 Buckshot
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 20:24
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts nods in silent assent to Castillo’s and Cooper’s recommendations. At the stable, one of the riflemen at the entrance lights a cigarette, he and his companion gazing searchingly at the surrounding darkness. Inside the well lit structure, the woman opens and closes the shotgun in her lap, shifting in her seat nervously.

Looking about, Castillo does not see any signs of movement in the vicinity of her and her fellow riders’ position.
Marshal
 GM, 797 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 23:18
XIIA - From the Shadows
The relative stillness holds for a few more minutes, the trio of guards at the stable remaining vigilant. Then, the quiet is broken by an exuberant howl from the western side of the property as the wellhouse is abruptly swallowed in flames. Gunshots, the reports of pistols and rifles aimed skyward, create a momentary, chaotic thunder.

OOC: Everyone kindly provide me with an Initiative draw.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 312 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 06:38
XIIA - From the Shadows
23:38, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: JD using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Albert Cooper
 player, 473 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 16:58
XIIA - From the Shadows
OOC:
09:58, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 798 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 02:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
20:22, Today: Marshal drew the single card: KH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Female Guard.

20:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Riflemen.

20:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 8D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

Initiative Order

KH - Female Guard
JD - Jacinta Castillo
10D - Riflemen
8D - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)
6C - Albert Cooper


At the abrupt clamor of gunfire, the female guard jumps to her feet and raises the metal cylinder hanging around her neck to her mouth. She blows on one end of it, producing a sharp, chittering sound that can be heard even over the din from the wellhouse.

OOC: Your action, Señorita Castillo.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 313 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 21:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
"That can't be good," Jacinta muttered.   Peering over the edge of the berm, she took aim at one of the riflemen and fired.


Shooting: 11
Damage: 14 (w/ Raise)

Initiative: 2S


14:47, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 11,6 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 9,4.  Shooting.
14:49, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 14 using 2d8+1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3,(6+1)7.  Damage w/ Raise.
14:50, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 2S using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 802 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot smashes into the forehead of one of the riflemen, causing his eyes to briefly protrude from his skull in an almost comical expression of surprise. He tumbles backward, sliding down the outer wall of the stable, staining it with a long streak of blood as he drops into a slumped sitting position. His rifle, unfired, falls uselessly into his lap.

The second rifleman snaps his weapon to his shoulder, firing at the muzzle flash of Castillo’s shot.

22:45, Today: Marshal rolled 19 using 1d8-2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+5)21.  Shooting - Rifleman.

22:47, Today: Marshal rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Target.

22:48, Today: Marshal rolled 8,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,7,1.  Rifleman - Damage.


The bullet tears into Shabbakasha’s shoulder, the wound immediately spilling dark blood down the Comanche shaman’s buckskin shirt. Aside from a soft grunt at the impact, Roving Wolf makes no sound.

OOC: Shabbakasha is shaken with one wound.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 43 posts
 Buckshot
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts returns the surviving rifle man’s fire, blasting a vicious wound in the right side of the guard’s neck. The man makes a horrible gurgling sound as he drops his weapon, vainly trying to staunch the flow of bright red blood that spills down his chest and legs. He succumbs to the injury quickly, sinking to his knees before dropping lifelessly onto his side.

23:02, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 7,8 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+2)8.  Shooting.

23:02, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 19,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(8+7)15,1.  Damage.

Marshal
 GM, 803 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:30
XIIA - From the Shadows
23:16, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 6,16 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(6+6+4)16.  Spirit.

Shabbakasha is able to shed the shaken condition. He still retains the wound.


Roving Wolf and the four Mescalero warriors that joined Castillo, Cooper, and Roberts move out of the depression. Keeping low, they rush to either side of the stables. Shabbakasha and one of the warriors head to the eastern end, while the others take the west, effectively trapping the guard inside, should she attempt to flee in either direction.

Initiative Order

KH - Female Guard
JD - Jacinta Castillo
10D - Riflemen
8D - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)

6C - Albert Cooper

Mr. Cooper, you have the floor.

Albert Cooper
 player, 475 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 02:42
XIIA - From the Shadows
Electricity arced across Albert's eyes as he focused on the remaining target. His weapon glowed with a pale white energy for a moment before the cowboy pulled the trigger.

After doing so, he moved closer to the entrance keeping the barrel of his weapon trained on the last guard standing.

OOC: Two magic tricks first! Boost shooting to d10 and smite. Neither is a raise, so that's terrible. Down to 3/15 PP.

Shot hits for 10 damage (AP 1)

Albert moves in order to keep up with everyone else, though he's keeping the target in his sights.

KD for next round.


19:37, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

19:37, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 10 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Damage (AP1).

19:36, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,5 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Shooting (remaining guard).

19:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,3 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3.  Shootist (Smite).

19:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Shootist (Boost shooting).

Marshal
 GM, 805 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 00:15
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper’s shot strikes the woman in the center of her chest, inflicting a wide, black wound. The impact drives her backwards, causing her to fall into the chair where she was previously seated. Her expression is one of confusion, until she looks down and sees her mortal injury. When she does, bewilderment is replaced by relief.

She sinks back into the chair, aging thirty or perhaps forty years in a matter of moments, lines etching themselves across her face, her dark hair slowly overtaken by silver. She sighs, her eyes fluttering closed as the chain around her neck breaks with a gentle clink, the whistle landing on the weapon in her lap. Her head sags to one side and she is still.

Within the stable, several of the horses neigh and snort, stirred up by the sudden violence.

OOC: Everyone give me a Notice roll.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 314 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 07:03
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Nice shot, Coop," Jacinta grinned at the gunslinger.  She glanced back to the barn and surrounding area, scanning for other threats.


Notice: 6 (or 8 if avoiding surprise)

00:00, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 3,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.

Albert Cooper
 player, 476 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 12:38
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert smiled at the compliment and quietly returned it. "Nice shootin' yerself, J-Lo."

His attention was still mostly on the woman who had changed so dramatically after being shot.

OOC:
05:35, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Notice.

Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 44 posts
 Buckshot
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 17:30
XIIA - From the Shadows
10:47, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,10 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+2)8.  Notice.

11:12, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 12,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,3.  Notice.


Roberts frowns, then glances at his companions. ”Ya’ll feel that?” he asks in a hissing whisper. Visibly tensing, Roving Wolf nods in response.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:57, Tue 13 Oct 2020.

Albert Cooper
 player, 477 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 17:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert raised his eyebrows and shook his head. His query was quiet. "Feel what?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 315 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 06:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Yes!" Jacinta hissed back.  She grabbed for Albert's arm as she leapt to her feet.  "Something's about to pay us a visit.  Run!"    And without waiting, she broke into a sprint heading for the barn.
Albert Cooper
 player, 479 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 12:45
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert trusted Jacinta's instincts. She pulled him along for a step before he moved as quickly as he could behind her. Running wasn't something he'd done much or well of late. But this seemed like the ideal time for some exercise.
Marshal
 GM, 808 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 05:10
XIIA - From the Shadows
The dry earth bursts open in several spots near the stables, the dust creating a momentary haze in the bright glow of the lanterns. Emerging from the sundered ground are insects, six in all, each one the size of a wolf. The creatures are shaped like centipedes, four spindly legs attached to each segment, which is covered in a shiny black carapace. Green vestigial eyes stare from each insect’s head, peering over a pair of sharp mandibles, which drip a watery, yellow liquid. Moving with the swiftness of rattlesnakes, they rush toward the riders.

23:45, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Tunnel Critters.

23:45, Today: Marshal drew the single card: JH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

Initiative Order

KD - Albert Cooper
JH - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero warriors)
6D - Tunnel Critters
2S - Jacinta Castillo

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are ar short range.

Your turn,  Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 480 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 21:10
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert grunted as he saw the creatures emerge, and stopped moving. He raised the shiny weapon that seemed so comfortable in his right hand and squeezed off a shot at one of the creatures.

OOC: No movement during his action, which should allow for Marksman. If not, there would be no Raise on his hit.

Hit with an 8. Again, if there are any penalties I've forgotten, no raise.

Damage is 19 with raise, 16 without. Damage is magical (Smite) and is AP1.

Next initiative is AS.

14:06, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

14:06, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 19 using 2d6+3+d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8,5,3.  Damage (AP1).

14:05, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 8,3 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Shooting (w/Marksman).

Marshal
 GM, 809 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 00:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
The insect that Cooper fires at explodes in a violent shower of yellow entrails and chitin, crackling energy still arcing across some of the fragments as they fall.

Roberts pauses, tracking another of the creatures with his rifle for a few seconds before firing, the shot blasting the centipede’s head into ruin.

17:41, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Shooting.

17:41, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 29 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+6)22,7.  Damage.


Shabbakasha notches an arrow and looses it at the closest of the advancing insects, but the missile sails harmlessly past the creature.

17:43, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 2,1 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Shooting.

The four Mescalero Warriors follow the Comanche shaman’s example, aiming arrows at the oncoming centipedes.

17:44, Today: Marshal rolled 9,5,8,5 using 1d6,1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+3)9,5,(6+2)8,5.  Mescalero Warriors - Shooting.

17:46, Today: Marshal rolled 7,3 using 2d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,3.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior (Raise).

17:47, Today: Marshal rolled 6 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior.

17:48, Today: Marshal rolled 13,2 using 2d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10,2.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior (Raise).

17:49, Today: Marshal rolled 9 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior.


The arrows whistle through the air. One bounces harmlessly off of one of the insect’s thick carapace, while two manage to find gaps in the creatures’ armor, inflicting seeping wounds on a pair of the monsters. The last arrow lances into one of the beast’s eyes, causing it to screech as it thrashes around on the dusty ground, gyrating wildly before abruptly becoming completely still, the last of its life having abandoned it.

Two of the tunnel critters are shaken. Three of the six have been killed.

Horn draws a scattergun from his belt and rushes into the interior of the stable, scanning the building for any threat. For the moment, he finds none.

18:58, Today: Marshal rolled 5,7 using 1d8,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,7.  Spirit - Tunnel Critters.

The two injured tunnel critters are able to lose their shaken conditions.


The three remaining centipedes move swiftly. One skitters forward to snap at Roberts’ leg, while another moves to attack one of the Mescalero braves. The last turns about, charging at Tom Horn, leaping at the gunman with its mandibles opened wide.

19:00, Today: Marshal rolled 4,5,4 using 1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5,4.  Fighting - Tunnel Critters.

Roberts sidesteps the insect attacking him, while the brave that is being hunted manages a quick backward somersault, which causes the monster’s assault to come up short. Horn, likewise, narrowly dodges the creature’s bite, leaving it to land in a pile of hay at the gunman’s feet.

Initiative Order

KD - Albert Cooper
JH - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero warriors)
6D - Tunnel Critters

2S - Jacinta Castillo

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are at short range.

Note that each of the three surviving tunnel critters are in melee with a member of the group. Any shooters that attempt to fire at them will be shooting into melee. Should a Shooting roll come up as a 1, it will indicate that an unintended target was hit.

Your turn, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 317 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 06:05
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta skidded to a halt as soon as the creatures burst from the earth, rifle butted against her shoulder.  The attack was chaotic, but she kept an eye on her target.  As soon as she was certain her aim was true, she pulled the trigger, sending a bullet streaking toward the creature harassing Horn.

Shooting: 8
Damage: 26
Initiative: 5S



23:00, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 8,5 using d10+2,d6+2 with rolls of 6,3.  Shooting.
23:02, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 26 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+6)22,4.  Damage.
23:04, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 5S using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 812 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 15:28
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s carefully placed shot shears the centipede’s head completely off as it turns about to attack Horn a second time. The insect slumps into the hay, twitching for several seconds before becoming still.

Horn looks to Castillo and gives the scout an appreciative nod.

Two tunnel critters remain.

09:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

09:25, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 3C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Tunnel Critters.

Initiative Order

AS - Albert Cooper
6H - Allies (Horn, Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)
5S - Jacinta Castillo
3C - Tunnel Critters

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are at short range.

Note that each of the two surviving tunnel critters are in melee with a member of the group. Any shooters that attempt to fire at them will be shooting into melee. Should a Shooting roll come up as a 1, it will indicate that an unintended target was hit.

Your turn, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 481 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 16:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded once at the results of his previous shot, then took aim at another of the critters and pulled the trigger.

He was glad to see the bullet fly straight and true, though he wasn't certain he hit anything important.

OOC: 7 to hit
10 damage (AP1)

AH for next initiative

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 10 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Damage (AP1).

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Shooting (marksman).

Marshal
 GM, 815 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 01:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
As one of the centipedes turns about to attack Roberts a second time, Cooper fires, his shot lancing precisely into the gap between two plates of the insect’s carapace. Yellow gore begins to spill from the wound as the creature rolls around spasmodically, seemingly unable to control its own movements. Its struggle ends momentarily, the monster growing still as it dies, the ground around it stained with its blood.

The Mescalero fighter who rolled away from the last of the insects springs forward toward his attacker, burying his knife to the hilt in the centipede’s head. He gives the blade a quick twist, the creature slumping to the dirt as he pulls the weapon free.

20:13, Today: Marshal rolled 20 using 1d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+4)20.  Mescalero Warrior - Fighting.

20:15, Today: Marshal rolled 7,6,5 using 1d8,1d4+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(4+1)5,5.  Knife - Damage.


Horn, meanwhile, stalks through the interior of the stables. As he reaches the left side of the building, there is the faint sound of a gate opening, followed by a deafening blast as Horn fires both barrels of the scattergun he is carrying. The stage guard pauses, then opens the weapon, reloading it unhurriedly.

20:19, Today: Tom Horn rolled 7,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Notice.

20:23, Today: Tom Horn rolled 9,6,1 using 1d10,1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,6,1.  Shooting.

20:25, Today: Tom Horn rolled 13,24,8 using 3d6,3d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5,4,(6+6+2)14,3,(6+1)7,(6+2)8.  Damage.

Total Damage: 45 (against an Extra)

OOC: Combat over, for the time being.


The group gathered at the stables can hear the roar of firearms as shots are exchanged in the vicinity of the bunkhouse. Moments later, the southern wall of the ranch’s large barn is enveloped in flames, the Regulators’ celebratory howls audible even over the din of battle.
Albert Cooper
 player, 483 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 22:39
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded his approval at the apparent success of the remainder of those in his group. He wouldn't let his guard down anytime soon, but felt that that he was surrounded by competent people.

Once it seemed their immediate vicinity had been cleared, Albert took a quick look at those that had been slain. In particular, he wanted to make certain none of the bad guys got their hands on the whistle that started this particular problem.

He did speak quietly to the others. "Let's find that escape passage ta make sure we control it. Can't let nobody get through this way."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 318 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 05:51
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta took the opportunity to reload her rifle as she hurried to follow Albert into the stables.  She eyed those they'd killed, frowning slightly at the appearance of the woman.  Dark eyes flitted up to the stalls, particularly the one that Horn had blasted, having a glance at whatever it was he killed.  At Cooper's reminder, she nodded and began to widen her search for the secret door.



Notice: 6

22:51, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 3,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.

Marshal
 GM, 817 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 01:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper is able to retrieve the tin whistle from the dead guard in the stables. The gunfighter notes that a symbol has been etched into one end of the small instrument, the simple figure like that of a beetle, or a scarab. A quick search of the other two riflemen yields no other whistles, only a bone handled pocket knife and a few coins. As best Cooper can tell, the female sentry was the only watcher in possession of one.

Castillo’s search for the hidden portal goes no further than the man Thomas Horn killed, a guard that apparently had hidden in the stall where the trap door was located. Of Murphy’s henchman, little can be told now, the scattergun’s blast having destroyed his head and right shoulder, much of both reduced to a crimson spray spread across the back wall of the enclosure.

The seams of the trap door are readily visible once some straw has been cleared away from the floor. No handle for opening the door can be found however, a problem that Horn rectifies by using his thick bladed Bowie knife as a lever to pry the dusty portal upward. Once open, those gathered there can see a cobweb covered wooden ladder descending straight down into darkness.

Roberts enters the stable, regarding the open trap door with a grim frown. Shabbakasha and the Mescalero warriors remain outside the stable, keeping watch. Several of the fighters, along with Roving Wolf, appear noticeably tense, despite the recent victory, their attention focused on the dark horizon to the north of the ranch buildings. They watch the shadows intently, as though expecting some kind of danger to emerge from them.
Albert Cooper
 player, 484 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 21:41
XIIA - From the Shadows
After nabbing the whistle that Albert wanted to keep out of the hands of their enemies, the cowboy moved over to consider the trapdoor. He looked up to Roberts to see if the other man had anything to say, though quietly stated his appreciation for Jacinta's sharp eyes. "Well done, J-Lo."

OOC: Albert know anything about that whistle?

14:40, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Knowledge (Occult).

Probably not, unless he has a +2 from something.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 319 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 06:26
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Don't look like anyone has used this in a while," she commented.  Glancing at the others, she squinted.  "So... do we wait until we're sure the others are dealing with Murphy, or jump in now and sneak up to the house to see what we can spy?"
Albert Cooper
 player, 485 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 19:18
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert frowned a moment at Jacinta's question and pulled a hand along the scruff that had formed on his cheeks and chin. "Plan was fer us ta hold this spot so Murphy ain't allowed ta leave. Splittin' up now weakens us a bit. Gotta trust our friends ta do their part. Good teammate does their part an' trusts their teammates ta do theirs."

OOC: At least I think that was the plan. Do slap me around a bit if I'm not remembering correctly.

He did push the brim of his hat up a little. "Course if we get called in fer backup by any of the other groups, that's gonna change things."

He did pull the whistle out to show the others, holding it in such a way to make sure that even a stray breeze wouldn't cause it to make noise. "While we're holdin' position, can anyone tell anything 'bout this?"
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 45 posts
 Buckshot
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 21:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts looks at the marking on the whistle, then shakes his head. “Never seen the like before,” he tells Cooper.
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 44 posts
 Roving Wolf
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 21:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roving Wolf steps inside the stables, a poultice of herbs pressed to his shoulder. He nods at the building’s front entrance. ”They are coming,” he says simply, his expression grim.
Albert Cooper
 player, 486 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 00:45
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded. "Find cover, then. Now we got the advantage."

Taking his own advice, Albert looked for a dark spot where he could remain out of sight and hopefully begin the anticipated firefight from behind cover.

OOC: I'm assuming there are spots where he can get out of sight.

10 Stealth, plus an additional +2 if his Thief Edge would come into play.

16:44, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+4)10.  Stealth.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 320 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 02:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
At the native's warning, Jacinta crouched just inside the stall, rifle head steadily between her hands.  She cast a glance about the barn at the others, waiting with nervous anticipation of what was to come.
Tom Horn
 NPC, 11 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 04:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn looks out at the flatland north of the stable. ”You know, we might want to give a little thought to goin’ into that tunnel,” he offers laconically.

Roberts looks out in the same direction. His complexion goes pale, and he nods mutely in agreement.
Marshal
 GM, 819 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 04:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
From their positions of cover, Castillo and Cooper can see what Shabbakasha and Horn are referring to. Perhaps two hundred yards out, gathered in a ragged line, are wolves, the tattered, decaying canines that roam the Capitan Mountains, refusing to surrender to the death that claimed them decades, perhaps even a century ago. The pale moon reflects the blank silver of their eyes, their gaze fixed unblinkingly at the buildings that comprise the Murphy Ranch.

At a guess, those in the stable would estimate the number of wolves at around one hundred. Possibly more.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 321 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 05:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Close the damn doors!" she shouted, eyes widening as she saw the pack headed their way.  Hearing Horn, she nodded.  "Ain't gonna argue with that, gringo,"

Grabbing one of the lanterns from the wall, she crouched by the trap door.  "Cooper!"
Albert Cooper
 player, 488 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 17:17
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert emerged from his hiding spot. He had done such a nice job of slipping into the shadows, too. Rather unfortunate that he had to leave so soon. "Yeah, tunnel sounds better'n bein' kibble. Let's go."

The cowboy moved over to the trap door and worked to open it up so that the others could enter. He was glad there was a lantern available.
Marshal
 GM, 823 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 19:50
XIIA - From the Shadows
Some of the Mescalero Warriors climb onto the stable’s roof, while others begin throwing bales of hay in a rough semicircle around the building. Those on the roof notch arrows in their bows, lighting the arrowheads on fire.

”Go,” one of the warriors tells those at the tunnel’s entrance, ”We will hold them for as long as we are able. Kill as many as we can.”

Roberts takes one of the nearby lanterns and descends the ladder, the aging wood creaking as he climbs down, loose cobwebs clinging to his clothing. The ladder continues to groan in protest as the remaining riders travel it to reach Murphy’s escape tunnel. The gloom grows deep, the glow from the lantern thin and fragile as it strains against the darkness.

Even before the posse members reach the bottom of the ladder, each has noticed how cold the air has become; a frigid temperature that belongs to deepest winter, strong enough to slowly render hands, feet, and faces numb. The tunnel that stretches away from the ladder’s base is not simply a crude corridor cut into the earth. The walls, ceiling, and floor are each covered in gray stone. Looking ahead, the posse members can see that a pair of openings, leading to what appear to be alcoves, have been cut into either side of the passage, the recesses facing each other. Some distance from the first pair of alcoves, there is a second set, the details of the further pair almost completely lost to the dark.

A breeze, gentle but icy, travels down the tunnel to those gathered at the ladder. It lingers long enough to elicit a shudder, then ceases.
Albert Cooper
 player, 490 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 23:21
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert frowned briefly. "They ain't got thumbs, so worse comes ta worse, mebbe follow us." Of course defending a roof from animals might be even easier than defending a tunnel. "Good luck. Hope ta see y'all soon."

Brief farewell done, Albert slipped down into the tunnel and looked about. He spoke quietly. "Let's take it nice'n slow. Quarry can't slip past us here. Ain't no reason ta rush." Taking his own advice Albert moved in a very deliberate fashion as they headed toward the house.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 322 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 05:58
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta crept along the tunnel with the others, eyes and ears open for the first signs of trouble.  She eyed those alcoves with open curiosity as they passed, half expecting something to be hiding within them (at the very least) or discovering that they'd been made to contain some sort of inhuman guardian (at the very worst).
Tom Horn
 NPC, 12 posts
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 00:48
XIIA - From the Shadows
”Looks like a damn tomb,” Horn mutters as he takes in the tunnel’s appearance. Roberts says a few words under his breath in the Apache tongue.
Marshal
 GM, 829 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 00:49
XIIA - From the Shadows
Moving forward the small group arrives at the first set of alcoves. Each one is wide, the opening roughly ten feet across. Both contain what appears to be a single sarcophagus, crafted from stone. Each of the sarcophagi appear far larger than what would be required to inter a lone individual. Both are covered with a gray granite slab, an inscription chiseled on the surface of each one. The etching on the right hand sarcophagus reads, ”Angus, New Mexico” while the one on the left carries the legend ”Bitter Creek, Texas”.

Looking ahead, the riders can see at least four more similarly sized alcoves waiting quietly in the gloom. Another sourceless breeze snakes through the corridor, bringing with it a deeper cold than that which already dominates the dark space.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 323 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 06:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
"It is a damn tomb," Jacinta muttered back.  She held the lantern high over one of the alcoves, reading the inscription before glancing at the other alcoves.  "What'd you reckon'?  Undead denizens?  Victims?  This one's got the name of that ghost town we demolished." 
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 46 posts
 Buckshot
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 22:21
XIIA - From the Shadows
”There’s no tellin’ how many killings Murphy’s had a hand in,” Roberts says, “Those in Angus that didn’t go up to High Lonesome ended up gettin’ killed by Murphy’s people when they got crossways over land ownership.”
Tom Horn
 NPC, 13 posts
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 22:21
XIIA - From the Shadows
”Heard Bitter Creek’s a ghost town. Way I heard it, there was a lot of shootings over water rights. Big dust up between a rancher and some farmers. By the time it was done, them that were still there didn’t have the will to stay,” Horn offers.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 47 posts
 Buckshot
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 22:21
XIIA - From the Shadows
”I’m betting’ this is some kind of grisly trophy collection,” Roberts says, ”Places where Murphy had a hand in a lot of killings.”

Roberts shudders. ”Might be he kept some of those he murdered. Buried ‘em down here so he could visit and gloat.”

“But these poor bastards aren’t no threat to anyone no more. We’d best go on. Find Miz Thornton and anyone else he’s keepin’ prisoner.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 491 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 01:46
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert shook his head sadly. "Poor folk killed fer no reason? Or important folk he wanted ta keep?" The cowboy shrugged. "Don't be so sure they ain't no threat no more, though nuthin we can do 'bout it now."

He extended his chin slightly in the direction they had been heading. "Yup, let's go see how we can help."
Marshal
 GM, 832 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 00:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
The next two sarcophagi come into view; Wintergreen, Texas on the right, Caribou, Colorado on the left. In the dimness, the group can just make out the rectangular outline of a door at the end of the corridor, just beyond two more pairs of alcoves.

The cold deepens, sharp enough to slowly numb the skin and render the touch of metal painful.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 324 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 05:06
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta started, turning with her lantern in hand to peer behind her, certain she'd felt someone pulling at her elbow.  The light swung about the tunnel and into the alcoves, a frown pulling at her lips as she tried to make sense of it.  "¿Hola?" she whispered softly, straining her ears to listen for anyone in the tunnel with them.



Notice: 10

22:05, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 4,10 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+2)8.  Notice.

Albert Cooper
 player, 492 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Fri 20 Nov 2020
at 00:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert looked back in the direction Jacinta seemed to be looking. "Hearin' them voices, Jay Lo? I'm ignorin' 'em. Don't seem ta be givin' good advice." Albert took a deep, cold breath and blew it out in a huff.

"Best we be movin' on, I think."
Marshal
 GM, 835 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 19:14
XIIA - From the Shadows


”Oh, hell,” Roberts mutters as he looks back in the direction the group entered from. He tenses, grabbing for one of the amulets at his neck.

In the same instant, the chill breeze becomes a fierce wind, a roaring tempest with the strength of a desert sandstorm, its power sufficient to force each of those in the tunnel to plant their feet to avoid losing their balance. The cold tears at exposed flesh, its touch like being raked with dozens of needles. Mingled in the wind is a howl, a female voice screaming in pure torment, her suffering outside of the scope of words.

With its strength, the wind snuffs out the travelers’ lanterns.

As shadow overtakes the tunnel, the wind halts, leaving an eerie silence in its wake. As the riders’ eyes adjust, they recognize that no light is reaching the corridor from either end of it. The darkness they find themselves in is total, preventing them from even seeing one another.

OOC: Everyone provide me with a Vigor roll. Failure imparts one level of fatigue.

Due to the absence of light, any physical actions, including an agility check to relight a lantern, will incur a -4 penalty.

Albert Cooper
 player, 494 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 16:47
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Hell is right. Let's get out of here." Albert wasn't about to panic, but he also preferred to not be trapped underground without light and with the possibility of undead wandering about.

OOC: How close are we to that door?

Vigor of 5. No fatigue for Albert.

08:43, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 5,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3.  VIgor.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 325 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 06:01
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta swore under her breath as those icy fingers of cold overtook them.  A bright spot of flame burst to life a few moments later as she struck one of her matches, blinding against the pitch black, and set it to light the lantern in her hand.


Vigor: 6 (w/ Blue Chip)

23:00, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 4,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,1.  Vigor.
23:27, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Blue Chip.
23:29, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,-3 using d8-4,d6-4, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,1.  Agility.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:34, Wed 25 Nov 2020.

Marshal
 GM, 841 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 03:42
XIIA - From the Shadows
20:36, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 7,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Vigor.

20:36, Today: Tom Horn rolled 13,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,1.  Vigor.


Remaining steady, Castillo is able to relight the lantern, the sudden flare of light in the obsidian dark bringing with it the brief view of dozens of figures; stooped, misshapen, bearing the evidence of wounds that were undoubtedly mortal. They are the color of fading smoke and in the moment that they fade from sight their shapes become twisted, warped and stretched into lean, predatory things that know only hunger.

As the lantern’s glow banishes the dark, they vanish from view completely. And for a long moment, it appears as if those that have braved the tunnel are alone with the piercing cold.

Then, the lid of the sarcophagus bearing the name Bitter Creek, Texas slides from the gave that it covers, dropping to the floor with the dull sound of stone crushing stone.

All that emerges from the grave is a voice, that of a woman, a hollow sound winding upward from somewhere deep within the earth. ”You have come here to be among us. Remain. Sleep. There is nowhere left to run.”

OOC: Speaking of running, to reach the door at the other end of the tunnel would require two rounds devoted solely to movement. If the group members were to pause for other actions, reaching the door would require at least one additional round.
Albert Cooper
 player, 496 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 16:08
XIIA - From the Shadows
"I'm still thinkin' it's a good time ta skeedaddle. Let's move." Albert started making for the door, though wasn't interested in leaving anyone behind.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 327 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 05:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
"You ain't kiddin'," Jacinta muttered under her breath.  She shivered reflexively and quickly followed Albert, heading down the tunnel toward the house.
Marshal
 GM, 845 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 03:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
The four riders bolt for the door, the pervasive cold needling their exposed skin. From behind them, the subterranean voice giggles, a thick, liquid sound.

”I told you, there is nowhere to run. None that call themselves friends of the one who imprisoned us here will escape. This is your home. Your place of sleep.”

21:47, Today: Marshal rolled 10 using 1d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+2)10.  Fighting.

21:48, Today: Marshal rolled 7 using 1d10, rerolling max with rolls of 7.  Strength.


Horn, who is the last in line bellows a curse, Looking back, the others can see that something dark, like a tendril of smoke, or perhaps a grasping, spectral hand, has taken hold of the stage guard’s ankle. He falls to the stone floor heavily, struggling to reach the knife on his belt as the shadowy projection begins to drag him toward the open tomb.

Even as it does, the lid of another sarcophagus slides onto the stone floor, opening another yawning, tenebrous grave.
Albert Cooper
 player, 497 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 16:40
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Dammit. Horn! Somebody get his other arm, and let's get outta here."

Albert moved as quickly as his bulk would allow, trying to grab under one side of Horn allowing someone else to get the other. Hopefully the three of them could struggle free.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 328 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Sun 13 Dec 2020
at 06:38
XIIA - From the Shadows
Swearing under her breath in her native language, Jacinta grabbed hold of Horn's other side and tried to help Albert jerk him out of the grasp of whatever held him.  She would have taken aim on the things in the dark, but she wasn't sure what she was shooting at or whether they could even be hurt by bullets.
Tom Horn
 NPC, 14 posts
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 16:55
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts joins his companions in reaching for the stage guard, grabbing Horn’s upper arm in hopes of pulling him free.

”What the hell are you doin’?” Horn says, ”Run, dammit! Get the hell out of here while you’ve got the chance!”

”You serve him who saw us all murdered,” the voice from the depths groans, ”It is right that you become his slaves, as we are.”

From the sarcophagus that just opened, something resembling black smoke slowly begins to rise into the cold air.

OOC: If you intend to continue to try to pull Horn free, you’ll need to provide me with a Strength roll. Albert, since you’re the one that snagged the stage guard first, yours will be the primary roll under consideration. Jacinta and Roberts can provide cooperative rolls. Each success that they gain will add +1 to the roll you make.
Albert Cooper
 player, 498 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B4 L0
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 23:46
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert shook his head quickly. "You run, dammit. We ain't leavin' ya." Albert leaned back a bit to use his weight to fullest advantage.

OOC: Will 10 Strength do?

Used a red chip.

15:43, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+1)7.  Red Chip!

15:43, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 3,2 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Strength!

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 329 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Wed 16 Dec 2020
at 06:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
"We aren't working for that bastard!" Jacinta yelled at the spirit.  "We're trying to kill 'em!  And if we do that, then you'll all be free.  Help us get rid of him once and for all."  Her grip on Horn slipped and she fell backward, landing hard on her ass.


OOC:

Jacinta has no strength, apparently.

23:08, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 1,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Strength.

Marshal
 GM, 850 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 18:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts pulls on Horn’s arm, trying to assist in the effort to rescue the stage guard. Cooper, using all the strength he can muster, feels Horn begin to slide free from the ethereal grip that holds him. The gunslinger’s muscles burn with the strain.

Then, abruptly, the resistance ceases. Suddenly freed, Horn tumbles forward while Cooper and Roberts stumble backwards toward Castillo. As each finds their balance, all are aware that the specters that haunt the corridor of tombs have not departed, the bone chilling cold and the writhing black mist that mark their presence still remain within the passage.

”Are you seeking to deceive us?” the liquid voice from within the earth asks, ”Is this some desperate lie to gain your freedom, or do you mean what you say? Do you truly intend to destroy him?”
Albert Cooper
 player, 500 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B4 L0
Sat 19 Dec 2020
at 00:32
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert paused and shook his head slowly. "Deceive y'all? Nah - we're just gettin' inta his hideout ta make sure that bastard don't destroy no more folks lives."

He gestured toward where he'd seen Angus mentioned. "We've seen what happened in Angus. We know what he really is. An it's time ta end him."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 331 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R3 B7 L0
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 06:00
XIIA - From the Shadows
"We're looking for the heart he stole," Jacinta added.  "So we can take it back to where it belongs and kill him in the process.  Do you know of this thing?  Where it might be?"
Marshal
 GM, 858 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 30 Dec 2020
at 03:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
”We are the source of much of his strength,” the subterranean voice answers, ”He uses us, our souls...our torment, to fuel his power. It is the heart that grants him the ability to hold us prisoner.”

“The heart is close to him. In his shelter in the upper floor of this house. He keeps it near.”


There is a pause, a silence filled only with cold. ”If you speak truth, if you mean to destroy him, we can fight. Resist releasing the power he draws from us. We cannot stop him entirely. The heart will overwhelm us. But we can make his way difficult.”
Albert Cooper
 player, 504 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Thu 31 Dec 2020
at 23:36
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert frowned momentarily, having considered and discarded the notion of trying to recruit the denizens of this subterranean passageway. He looked briefly at the others before responding to the voice. "If y'all are kept beholden ta the power of the heart, how do ya know he won't be able ta turn y'all on us if ya get closer ta the heart? I'm generally in favor of gettin' all the help we can, but - no offense intended - I'm a bit concerned 'bout losin' yer loyalty at the worst possible time."
Marshal
 GM, 859 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 1 Jan 2021
at 23:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
”We cannot leave the confines of this tomb,” the voice replies, ”We do not serve Murphy in the manner of slaves, ordered about to perform chosen tasks. To him, we are like the oil in a lantern. We are fuel, burned to empower the magical workings he seeks to accomplish.”

“We can resist him using our life force, in order to weaken the power he commands. But that is all. We cannot harm him by virtue of the heart, and we cannot pursue you beyond this stone prison.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 506 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Sat 2 Jan 2021
at 01:10
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded. "Ah, then yes. If y'all can offer some resistance in the near future, now's gonna be the best time fer resistin'. Might be the difference between our bein' victorious or no."
Marshal
 GM, 866 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 05:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
Silence overtakes the stone corridor. Although the uncomfortable cold lingers, the lasting quiet leaves the small group to wonder if the restless spirits have gone.

The voice from below finally speaks again. ”We can only hope that you are not deceiving us.”

As the words fade, the chill recedes.
Albert Cooper
 player, 507 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 19:41
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Just see that Murphy's power's aren't what he's expectin'. Might give us that little edge."

He looked around at the others. "Nuff talkin', folks. Let's go finish this."
Marshal
 GM, 869 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 05:19
XIIA - From the Shadows
Nothing else acts to impede the riders as they traverse the long hallway, though each is well aware that unseen eyes continue to regard them. At the end of the corridor is a heavy door, built from pine timbers reinforced with iron bands. Opening it requires effort, the swollen wood groaning as it resists being pulled free from its stone frame.

Beyond it, a narrow set of steep wooden stairs lead up to another door that is closed. Moving up the steps, both Cooper and Castillo hear the sound of weeping as they draw near the doorway.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 332 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R3 B7 L0
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 05:37
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta stood at the top of the stairs and pressed her ear to the door to hear what lay beyond.  At the sound of weeping, she lifted an eyebrow and threw a glance at Cooper.  With a nod, she set her lantern down on the top step and readied her rifle, then reached for the doorknob to see if the door was locked.
Albert Cooper
 player, 508 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Tue 12 Jan 2021
at 00:09
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert also had his weapon in hand, though he realized it would be easier for him to open the door (given the one-handedness of his preferred weapon). As a gentleman, he often opened doors for the women in his life. This was both different and not.

The cowboy quietly asked for Jacinta's assistance before opening the door. "Cover me."
Marshal
 GM, 871 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 04:00
XIIA - From the Shadows
The door requires some effort to push open, evidence that it is seldom used.

It opens into a cellar, the air cool and damp. A pair of lanterns hanging from a timber in the ceiling provide weak, yellow light, the stacked crates and barrels that occupy the left side of the large room casting long shadows across the remainder of the floor space.

Against the wall opposite the door the riders just opened are a pair of tables. The surface of one is taken up with the melted remains of numerous candles, along with what appear to be the dried remnants of several plants. The other table holds a number of different iron tools, their purpose unclear, though the group can spot a pair of knives among them.

Directly to the left of the table with the tools, a pair of iron manacles have been bolted on the wall, several feet high, and spread well apart from one another. The wall itself bears several dark stains. A wide tin bucket sits beneath the manacles.

To the right of the tables, a plank staircase leads up to a closed door above,.

Directly to the right of the riders is an iron barred cell, precisely of the kind found in most jails in the Southwest. Three people occupy the enclosure: a gray haired woman in a calico dress who is weeping, a clean shaven young man dressed like a ranch hand, and Desiree Thornton. Thornton, who is attempting to comfort the crying woman, bears a deep gash across her forehead and the young man’s face shows several bruises. All three start fearfully when Cooper, Castillo, and their companions enter the cellar.

Lying in the center of the cellar floor is a gray haired man with a full beard. He is perfectly still, blood pooled on the floor around him.

From somewhere above, there is the loud report of a firearm.
Albert Cooper
 player, 509 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 20:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert looked down at the fellow on the floor, and made a general move of his head to suggest someone with medical ability maybe should take a look at him. For his part, he moved close to those in the cell. He initially directed his words to Desiree Thornton, lifting the hat off his head and pointing his gun toward the ground as he did.

His words were quiet, though urgent. "Glad ta see ya well, ma'am. And y'all. Can ya give us the quick lowdown on what's happened here?" He could take some guesses, but probably better to hear it true rather than take guesses.
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 46 posts
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 21:19
XIIA - From the Shadows
Thornton blinks, clearly still surprised by the sudden appearance of Cooper and his compatriots. Her expression quickly turns to one of panic.

“Mr. Cooper, you and your friends, you can’t stay here! You need to leave! Now!”

Roberts kneels in front of the cell, examining the lock on door. Fishing through a pouch on his belt, he draws out a pair of metal tools.

The young man in the cell speaks up. ”She’s right, mister. We’ve probably had it. But ya’ll have still got time to get out of here.”

”Murphy came in here not long ago. I think he knew the law was coming for him.” Thornton points to the body on the floor. ”He killed Mr. Kearney.” She swallows hard, tears rising in her eyes. ”He cut his heart out. Said it would serve to draw up...”

Her words are interrupted as a jagged crack abruptly forms in the center of the cellar floor, the boards splintering as if pushed by some great force from below. An eerie orange glow, like flickering firelight, emerges from the fissure.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 333 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R3 B7 L0
Sun 17 Jan 2021
at 04:51
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Get 'em out," Jacinta hissed, jumping at the floor exploded.  "Get 'em all out."  She pressed her rifle against her shoulder, taking a step back toward the wall, aiming her rifle at the fissure.
Albert Cooper
 player, 510 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Tue 19 Jan 2021
at 18:15
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert shook his head at the suggestion they flee. "No, ma'am, we're gettin' y'all out." He had his gun out, pointed in the general direction of the fissure.

A good portion of his attention was on Roberts, however. Picking locks was something Albert had done quite a bit over the course of his life. Those days when he was regularly pickin' locks weren't necessarily better. In fact, they were almost universally worse. But now wasn't the time to dwell on any of that. He did make an offer of help to Roberts in case the man had any trouble. "Lemme know if ya need a hand."
Marshal
 GM, 877 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 03:19
XIIA - From the Shadows
Nodding at Cooper, Roberts sets to work on the lock, the metal squeaking as the bounty hunter struggles to manipulate the tumblers.

Thornton opens her mouth to protest further, but before she can speak, the jagged split in the floor widens with a monstrous groan, powerful enough to quake the cellar, the timbers splintering from the strain. From within the growing fissure, a hand, entirely wreathed in crackling flame reaches up, gripping the edge of the opening to pull itself upward.

20:52, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 5,4 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,4.  Lockpicking.

With a metallic snap, the cell door springs open.

OOC: Everyone give me an initiative draw.
Albert Cooper
 player, 511 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R2 B5 L0
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 16:32
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper stood, transfixed on the appearance of the flaming hand.

OOC: Unless you pull a 2C, anyway.

08:30, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 2D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 334 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R3 B7 L0
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 04:51
XIIA - From the Shadows
OOC:

Balls!

21:51, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 3H using the Deadlands system.

Marshal
 GM, 881 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 02:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
18:34, Today: Marshal drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Infernal.

18:35, Today: Andrew Roberts drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

18:36, Today: Tom Horn drew the single card: JD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

18:37, Today: Desiree Thornton drew the single card: JS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Initiative Order

JS - Desiree Thornton
JD - Tom Horn
JC - Infernal
4S - Andrew Roberts
3H - Jacinta Castillo
2D - Albert Cooper


The creature emerges from break in the floor, an indistinct, skeletal form obscured by raging flame that covers its body from head to toe. It does not stand on the ground, but rather levitates a few feet above it, surveying the group gathered in and near the cell with eyes that cannot be seen. Its attention seems to settle upon Cooper and Castillo.

It speaks with a voice that can only barely be heard over the sound of its own immolation.

”You...the two of you aided in banishing my brother.”
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 47 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 02:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
At the arrival of burning figure, Thornton steps out of the cell, moving with a visible limp. Seeing that Horn is holding a shotgun, she approaches him and pulls the stage guard’s pistol from its holster.

Turning to face the creature, she asks, ”Then why don’t you go fucking join him?” She fires a shot, which goes wide.

19:07, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 0,-1 using 1d6-3,1d6-3, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Shooting.

19:22, Today: Desiree Thornton drew the single card: KH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Tom Horn
 NPC, 15 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 02:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn swears, most of the profanity lost beneath the report of his shotgun.

19:29, Today: Tom Horn rolled 4,6 using 1d10+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,4.  Shooting.

19:30, Today: Tom Horn rolled 15 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5,5.  Damage.

Total Damage: 15

19:42, Today: Tom Horn drew the single card: 5D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Infernal
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 02:59
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn’s shot will leave the Infernal shaken with one wound. It will attempt to soak that damage.

19:57, Today: Infernal rolled 6,5 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,5.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

It succeeds, also shedding the shaken condition.


Without a word, the figure raises its hand, sending a torrent of flame at Thornton and Horn.

20:20, Today: Infernal rolled 6,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max.  Shooting.

The attack functions like a burst, meaning that Thornton and Horn can avoid it if they can make an Agility roll that beats the creature’s Shooting roll.

20:17, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 2,5 using 1d8-1,1d6-1.  Agility.

20:17, Today: Marshal, on behalf of Tom Horn, rolled 4,4 using 1d8,1d6.  Agility.

Unfortunately, neither succeeds.

20:29, Today: Infernal rolled 7,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max.  Damage.

Total Damage: 9

20:30, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Fire

20:30, Today: Tom Horn rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Fire.

Neither catches on fire.

20:33, Today: Infernal drew the single card: KC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 48 posts
 Buckshot
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 03:00
XIIA - From the Shadows
Eyes widening at the sight of the burning creature, Roberts turns and grasps the barrel of Castillo’s rifle. He mutters a few words in the Apache tongue, the firearm briefly glowing with watery light in response.

20:41, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,1 using 1d8,1d6.  Tribal Medicine.

Cast: Smite

Power Points expended: 2

The blessing will add a +2 bonus to damage to shots from Castillo’s Winchester. The effect will last until the current load of the weapon’s cartridges are expended (15 shots).

20:52, Today: Andrew Roberts drew the single card: 7S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 882 posts
 W3 R1 B3
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 03:00
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

JS - Desiree Thornton
JD - Tom Horn
JC - Infernal
4S - Andrew Roberts

3H - Jacinta Castillo
2D - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat.

Señorita Castillo, it’s your turn.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 336 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R4 B7 L0
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 05:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta was about to jerk her rifle away from the shifter, thinking he was trying to purloin her rifle, but the slight shimmer of magic racing up the barrel made her think better of it.  She gave him a nod of thanks, took aim at the fireball, and pulled the trigger without a single word uttered.

Shooting: 9  (7 +2 Marksman) (1 Raise)
Damage: 12 (w/ Raise & Smite)
Initiative: 8C

22:03, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 7,1 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Shooting - White Chip.
22:02, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 1,1 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Shooting.
22:07, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 8,2 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,6,2.  Damage w/ Raise.
22:09, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 8C using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Albert Cooper
 player, 513 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Sat 23 Jan 2021
at 23:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Well, if ever twas a time ta call upon the power a heav'n, now'd be it. Lord, if ya'd bless these here bullets, I'd be mighty appreciative." After his short prayer, the gun wizard depressed the trigger on his gun. A pale white glow could be seen in the wake of the lead he sent toward the hellspawn, though its afterimage faded in mere moments.

The cowboy smiled slightly when the bullet smashed into the target.

OOC: First thing Cooper does is cast Smite on his bullet load. This is a free action for a Shootist such as him. The roll is a 6, which is a success but not a raise. Given the lack of PP currently available to him, Cooper burns a red chip to get that thing up to an 8. This means Smite is only 1 PP instead of 2. It's also +4 damaged.

Next the roll to hit is a 14. This assumes Marksman is allowed in this situation. It does seem moot, however, as it will be a raise no matter what.

The damage for this magic bullet is 23, AP1. I think that's 3 wounds.

Initiative for next round is a pedestrian 4H.

15:08, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 4H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative .

15:08, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 23 using 2d6+5+d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3,(6+4)10.  Damage (AP1) + Raise.

15:02, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 14,7 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+4)12,5.  Shooting (Marksman).

15:01, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Red Chip.

15:01, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Hexslinger (Smite).

Marshal
 GM, 886 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal
8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn
4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat.

Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 48 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
12:19, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 2,1 using 1d6-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  White Chip - Soak Roll.

Thornton is unable to soak the wound inflicted by the infernal. That will leave her carrying 2 wounds. (The first was inflicted before the posse arrived.)

12:19, Today: Desiree Thornton rolled 6,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Spirit.

That roll should have carried a -2 modifier. Even with the -2 penalty, it remains a success.

She is able to shed the shaken condition.


Trembling visibly, her tattered clothes darkened with soot, Thornton clenches her jaw, training Horn’s revolver on the burning figure.

Thornton will spend the round aiming.

12:26, Today: Desiree Thornton drew the single card: 5C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:10, Sun 24 Jan.

Infernal
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot, which is AP 2, will leave the infernal shaken with 1 wound.

Cooper’s attack will leave it shaken with 3 wounds.

The hellspawn will try to contend with each of those in turn.

12:01, Today: Infernal rolled 16,17 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (10+6)16,(6+6+5)17.  White Chip - Soak Roll

It manages to soak the wound inflicted by Castillo, shedding the shaken condition as well.

12:02, Today: Infernal rolled 1,11 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+5)11.  Red Chip - Soak Roll.

It’s able to soak 2 of the wounds Cooper’s shot caused, but not the third, leaving it with 1 wound.

12:05, Today: Infernal rolled 1,4 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Spirit.

It is able to overcome the remaining shaken condition.


Castillo and Cooper’s shots ring out in the cellar, the reports of their weapons echoing in the enclosed space. For an instant, the fiery creature’s flame flickers and it appears to wobble in midair. It regains its composure quickly, however, sending another blast of flame in the direction of those that injured it.

12:35, Today: Infernal rolled 4,4 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Shooting.

12:37, Today: Infernal rolled 4 using 1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5.  Red Chip -Shooting

Total Shooting 8

12:42, Today: Infernal rolled 9,2 using 2d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2,2.  Damage.

Total Damage: 11

The cone of flame will potentially hit Castillo, Cooper, and Roberts. Each can dodge the attack with an Agility roll that beats the infernal’s Shooting roll.

Anyone who is hit will need to also make a roll with 1d6. A roll of 6 indicates that they have caught on fire.

12:47, Today: Infernal drew the single card: JC using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 18:58, Sun 24 Jan.

Marshal
 GM, 887 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 18:57
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal

8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn
4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat.

Your turn, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 337 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 04:55
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the flames rushed toward her, Jacinta flung herself sideways, rolling along the ground and coming up in a crouch.  Rifle butted against her shoulder, she honed in on her target and pulled the trigger, another deafening crack bouncing about the walls of the small space.


Agility: 12 (11 +1 Dodge)
Shooting: 9 (1 Raise)
Damage: 18 (AP2) (w/ Raise & +2 Smite)
Initiative: 3H


21:31, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 2,11 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+5)11.  Agility - Dodge.
21:36, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 9,2 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,2.  Shooting.
21:39, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 11,5 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4,5.  Damage w/ Raise.
21:42, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 3H using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

In Effect:
Dodge - Attackers must subtract 1 from their ranged attack rolls when targeting her
Smite - +2 to Damage (2/15 shots)

Marshal
 GM, 888 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot spears the burning creature in the chest, prompting a roar of pain from the hellspawn. Whatever force holds it in the air falters, the monster dropping down within a few feet of the cellar floor.

Castillo’s attack leaves the infernal shaken with 2 wounds. It is now carrying a total of 3 wounds.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 49 posts
 Buckshot
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
22:20, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 1,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,2.  Agility.

22:20, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 3 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3.  Fire

Roberts is unable to avoid the torrent of flame. The attack leaves him shaken with one wound.

22:28, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,0 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Spirit.

He is able to overcome the shaken condition.


Shouldering his own rifle, Roberts fires a shot at the flame cloaked figure, but the bullet misses the creature’s head by inches.

22:50, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 2,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Shooting.

22:53, Today: Andrew Roberts drew the single card: 4S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Tom Horn
 NPC, 16 posts
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn was left shaken by the infernal’s attack from the previous round.

22:59, Today: Tom Horn rolled 3,2 using 1d6,1d6.  Spirit.

He remains shaken.


Muttering a series of curses, Horn violently slaps at his chest, arms, and legs, struggling to ensure that no flames find purchase on him.

23:01, Today: Tom Horn drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 889 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:07
XIIA - From the Shadows
Initiative Order

KH - Desiree Thornton
KC - Infernal
8C - Jacinta Castillo
7S - Andrew Roberts
5D - Thomas Horn

4H - Albert Cooper

The infernal has a Toughness of 10, 2 points of which are attributed to armor. It has a Parry of 5, for any who want to engage it in hand to hand combat. It is carrying 3 wounds.

You have the floor, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 514 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Thu 28 Jan 2021
at 05:37
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the flames shot in his general direction, Albert slipped his bulk out of the way, placing his left hand on his hat to avoid having it spill onto the floor. He took aim at the offending demon and launched another magical bullet in its direction. He really enjoyed plugging evil creatures full of white hot lead, a fact that the cowboy's slight smile emphasized.

OOC: 9 agility, 6 to-hit, 13 damage (AP1) which I think is another wound.

21:34, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative .

21:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 13 using 2d6+5, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Damage (AP1).

21:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,4.  Shooting (Marksman).

21:32, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 9,2 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,2.  Agility.

Marshal
 GM, 893 posts
 W2 R0 B3
Sun 31 Jan 2021
at 22:04
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper’s shot slams into the fiery creature’s chest. The infernal being lets out a howl of anger, the flame that engulfs it flaring for an instant before flickering, then extinguishing completely. The skeletal form that was hidden within the blaze drops to the broken floor, crumbling into ash as it strikes it, the gray powder scattering in every direction.

OOC: Combat over.

Shakily, Desiree Thornton lowers Tom Horn’s pistol. She hands it back to the stage guard, who is now satisfied that no part of him is burning. The saloon keeper limps over to the open cell. ”Mrs. Kearney? Lee? Are you two alright?” Her fellow captives respond with quiet nods.

Above, a rumble like a peal of thunder rattles the ceiling, dust falling from the timbers overhead.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 338 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 1 Feb 2021
at 08:23
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta let out a breath, checking herself for any signs of singed clothing.  After checking on herself, she looked to the others.  As the prisoners were already being seen to, her eyes lifted to the ceiling.

"Maybe the best place to stay safe and out of trouble is down here," she remarked.  "Coop, sounds like trouble upstairs. You ready?"  Calmly, she replaced the bullets that she'd spent.
Albert Cooper
 player, 515 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Tue 2 Feb 2021
at 22:24
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert followed Jacinta's gaze and train of thought. "Yea, mebbe. So long as no more demons come out ta say 'hi'. The hallway with them friendly ghosts might be better. Either way...don't go upstairs jus' yet. An' don't leave out that secret exit, neither."

The cowboy looked down at his pistol and reloaded. "Anything else that may be of interest to us as we keep huntin'?" Albert looked at the former prisoners to see if they had any information that might be of use.
Marshal
 GM, 895 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 4 Feb 2021
at 18:54
XIIA - From the Shadows
Lee, the young cowhand, speaks up. ”John Kinney and some of his boys were down here last night. He weren’t real pleased to see Miz Kearney and Miz Thornton locked up down here. Him and some of the other outlaws were talkin’ about how they didn’t much like Mr. Murphy’s ways. But one of ‘em mentioned that while several of ‘em stayed out in the bunkhouse, and helped patrol Mr. Murphy’s range, since a couple of days back, at least five or six of ‘em were made to stay here in the house, on account of Mr. Murphy bein’ afeared of someone attacking the ranch.”

“Ol’ Kinney didn’t seem none too happy about it.”

Albert Cooper
 player, 516 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 16:14
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded. "Thanks. Mebbe we can isolate Murphy from folk that ain't quite like him."

He looked around. "Anything else?"

Absent any other nuggets of wisdom, Albert will proceed upstairs, having fully reloaded his weapon.
Marshal
 GM, 900 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
“Yessir,” the cowhand answers, ”If’n you can avoid it, I reckon you’ll want to stay away from Mr. Murphy’s room upstairs.”  The look that accompanies this statement is one of hollow eyed fear.

The young man then turns his attention to the softly weeping Mrs. Kearney.
Desiree Thornton
 NPC, 49 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
As the group heads for the stairs, Desiree Thornton locates an iron rod among the collection of supplies gathered in the western side of the cellar. Supporting it with her shoulder, she falls behind the others as they ascend the stairs, a grim expression on her face.
Marshal
 GM, 901 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 17:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
At the top of the steep stairwell, the group reach a polished oak door, a portal much more ornate than the cellar it leads to. Pausing, the group can hear the sharp sounds of gunfire from somewhere beyond it.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 339 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 15 Feb 2021
at 06:25
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta didn't hesitate.  She assumed her friends were inside and that they would need the backup.  Shouldering the door open, rifle at the ready, she went in search of the fight.
Marshal
 GM, 909 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 19:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
Pushing the door open, Castillo finds herself within a small room. A round table, not unlike those found in saloons, occupies one side of the space, surrounded by four chairs. Sitting atop the table is a thin, leatherbound book, the cover scuffed with wear, alongside what appears to be a bundle of black, thorny vines, the same sort that had invaded the schoolhouse in Lincoln, along with the crops of many farmers in the area. A  dark colored pouch, held closed with a drawstring, has also been placed there.

On the walls hang several pieces of what the group guesses to be vellum, each piece adorned with a single symbol, painted in black. Although their immediate meaning is unclear, regarding the paintings for even a moment leads to an unsettling feeling of discomfort.


To the left, a single door stands open, leading into what appears to be a study. In front of the doorway lies the body of a man dressed for the range. He does not stir at the group’s arrival, though all that look at him have the strange sense that his sickly gray skin is writhing.

In the study, the gathering can see another door standing open on the southern wall, leading into what appears to be a large entry with a staircase. An instant later, from within the entry, there is the roar of multiple gunshots.

OOC: Anyone wanting to rush to the room with the staircase will need to provide me with an initiative draw, just in case. Those doing so will be moved to the A Heart of Thorns thread, and will join combat (provided it is ongoing) at the beginning of the next round.
Albert Cooper
 player, 519 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 20:36
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert glanced around, though he didn't note anything requiring immediate attention here. He looked over at Jacinta. "Mebbe help our friends first?" The others could probably take a good look at this room while they were above.
Marshal
 GM, 912 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 15:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
Through the open door to the entry, things become noticeably quiet. With a concerned frown, Andrew Roberts moves in that direction, Desiree Thornton close behind him.

OOC: Those moving to the entry will no longer need to give me an initiative draw.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 341 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R4 B7 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 05:20
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Yea, better go take a look.  Hope everyone is on this side of the grave," she muttered.  Rifle in hand, she followed the others in search of their friends.
Albert Cooper
 player, 521 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W4 R1 B5 L0
Mon 1 Mar 2021
at 18:23
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded and started to head that direction as well.

OOC: Which NPCs are currently with us? Albert wants to make sure this area is appropriately investigated, but is concerned for the well-being of his friends.
Marshal
 GM, 914 posts
 W0 R0 B3
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 02:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
OOC: I’m going to close this thread since the posse is essentially reunited.

Tom Horn is the only NPC who didn’t immediately head out of the study, but he’ll follow Cooper and Castillo as they proceed to the entry.

If anyone wants to investigate the study and adjoining rooms, they can do so in the A Heart of Thrones thread. I believe that Lee and Kansas Kate are headed there.