XIIA - From the Shadows.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Albert Cooper
 player, 479 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 12:45
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert trusted Jacinta's instincts. She pulled him along for a step before he moved as quickly as he could behind her. Running wasn't something he'd done much or well of late. But this seemed like the ideal time for some exercise.
Marshal
 GM, 808 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 05:10
XIIA - From the Shadows
The dry earth bursts open in several spots near the stables, the dust creating a momentary haze in the bright glow of the lanterns. Emerging from the sundered ground are insects, six in all, each one the size of a wolf. The creatures are shaped like centipedes, four spindly legs attached to each segment, which is covered in a shiny black carapace. Green vestigial eyes stare from each insect’s head, peering over a pair of sharp mandibles, which drip a watery, yellow liquid. Moving with the swiftness of rattlesnakes, they rush toward the riders.

23:45, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Tunnel Critters.

23:45, Today: Marshal drew the single card: JH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

Initiative Order

KD - Albert Cooper
JH - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero warriors)
6D - Tunnel Critters
2S - Jacinta Castillo

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are ar short range.

Your turn,  Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 480 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 21:10
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert grunted as he saw the creatures emerge, and stopped moving. He raised the shiny weapon that seemed so comfortable in his right hand and squeezed off a shot at one of the creatures.

OOC: No movement during his action, which should allow for Marksman. If not, there would be no Raise on his hit.

Hit with an 8. Again, if there are any penalties I've forgotten, no raise.

Damage is 19 with raise, 16 without. Damage is magical (Smite) and is AP1.

Next initiative is AS.

14:06, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

14:06, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 19 using 2d6+3+d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+2)8,5,3.  Damage (AP1).

14:05, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 8,3 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,1.  Shooting (w/Marksman).

Marshal
 GM, 809 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 00:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
The insect that Cooper fires at explodes in a violent shower of yellow entrails and chitin, crackling energy still arcing across some of the fragments as they fall.

Roberts pauses, tracking another of the creatures with his rifle for a few seconds before firing, the shot blasting the centipede’s head into ruin.

17:41, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,5 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Shooting.

17:41, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 29 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+6)22,7.  Damage.


Shabbakasha notches an arrow and looses it at the closest of the advancing insects, but the missile sails harmlessly past the creature.

17:43, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 2,1 using 1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Shooting.

The four Mescalero Warriors follow the Comanche shaman’s example, aiming arrows at the oncoming centipedes.

17:44, Today: Marshal rolled 9,5,8,5 using 1d6,1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+3)9,5,(6+2)8,5.  Mescalero Warriors - Shooting.

17:46, Today: Marshal rolled 7,3 using 2d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5,3.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior (Raise).

17:47, Today: Marshal rolled 6 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior.

17:48, Today: Marshal rolled 13,2 using 2d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+4)10,2.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior (Raise).

17:49, Today: Marshal rolled 9 using 2d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Damage - Mescalero Warrior.


The arrows whistle through the air. One bounces harmlessly off of one of the insect’s thick carapace, while two manage to find gaps in the creatures’ armor, inflicting seeping wounds on a pair of the monsters. The last arrow lances into one of the beast’s eyes, causing it to screech as it thrashes around on the dusty ground, gyrating wildly before abruptly becoming completely still, the last of its life having abandoned it.

Two of the tunnel critters are shaken. Three of the six have been killed.

Horn draws a scattergun from his belt and rushes into the interior of the stable, scanning the building for any threat. For the moment, he finds none.

18:58, Today: Marshal rolled 5,7 using 1d8,1d8, rerolling max with rolls of 5,7.  Spirit - Tunnel Critters.

The two injured tunnel critters are able to lose their shaken conditions.


The three remaining centipedes move swiftly. One skitters forward to snap at Roberts’ leg, while another moves to attack one of the Mescalero braves. The last turns about, charging at Tom Horn, leaping at the gunman with its mandibles opened wide.

19:00, Today: Marshal rolled 4,5,4 using 1d6,1d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5,4.  Fighting - Tunnel Critters.

Roberts sidesteps the insect attacking him, while the brave that is being hunted manages a quick backward somersault, which causes the monster’s assault to come up short. Horn, likewise, narrowly dodges the creature’s bite, leaving it to land in a pile of hay at the gunman’s feet.

Initiative Order

KD - Albert Cooper
JH - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero warriors)
6D - Tunnel Critters

2S - Jacinta Castillo

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are at short range.

Note that each of the three surviving tunnel critters are in melee with a member of the group. Any shooters that attempt to fire at them will be shooting into melee. Should a Shooting roll come up as a 1, it will indicate that an unintended target was hit.

Your turn, Señorita Castillo.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 317 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 06:05
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta skidded to a halt as soon as the creatures burst from the earth, rifle butted against her shoulder.  The attack was chaotic, but she kept an eye on her target.  As soon as she was certain her aim was true, she pulled the trigger, sending a bullet streaking toward the creature harassing Horn.

Shooting: 8
Damage: 26
Initiative: 5S



23:00, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 8,5 using d10+2,d6+2 with rolls of 6,3.  Shooting.
23:02, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 26 using 2d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+6)22,4.  Damage.
23:04, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 5S using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 812 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 15:28
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s carefully placed shot shears the centipede’s head completely off as it turns about to attack Horn a second time. The insect slumps into the hay, twitching for several seconds before becoming still.

Horn looks to Castillo and gives the scout an appreciative nod.

Two tunnel critters remain.

09:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

09:25, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 3C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Tunnel Critters.

Initiative Order

AS - Albert Cooper
6H - Allies (Horn, Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)
5S - Jacinta Castillo
3C - Tunnel Critters

The critters have a Parry of 5 and a Toughness of 7. One point of their Toughness is due to natural armor. For shooting purposes, they are at short range.

Note that each of the two surviving tunnel critters are in melee with a member of the group. Any shooters that attempt to fire at them will be shooting into melee. Should a Shooting roll come up as a 1, it will indicate that an unintended target was hit.

Your turn, Mr. Cooper.

Albert Cooper
 player, 481 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 16:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded once at the results of his previous shot, then took aim at another of the critters and pulled the trigger.

He was glad to see the bullet fly straight and true, though he wasn't certain he hit anything important.

OOC: 7 to hit
10 damage (AP1)

AH for next initiative

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: AH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 10 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 5,2.  Damage (AP1).

09:51, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 6,7 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5.  Shooting (marksman).

Marshal
 GM, 815 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 01:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
As one of the centipedes turns about to attack Roberts a second time, Cooper fires, his shot lancing precisely into the gap between two plates of the insect’s carapace. Yellow gore begins to spill from the wound as the creature rolls around spasmodically, seemingly unable to control its own movements. Its struggle ends momentarily, the monster growing still as it dies, the ground around it stained with its blood.

The Mescalero fighter who rolled away from the last of the insects springs forward toward his attacker, burying his knife to the hilt in the centipede’s head. He gives the blade a quick twist, the creature slumping to the dirt as he pulls the weapon free.

20:13, Today: Marshal rolled 20 using 1d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+4)20.  Mescalero Warrior - Fighting.

20:15, Today: Marshal rolled 7,6,5 using 1d8,1d4+1,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(4+1)5,5.  Knife - Damage.


Horn, meanwhile, stalks through the interior of the stables. As he reaches the left side of the building, there is the faint sound of a gate opening, followed by a deafening blast as Horn fires both barrels of the scattergun he is carrying. The stage guard pauses, then opens the weapon, reloading it unhurriedly.

20:19, Today: Tom Horn rolled 7,2 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Notice.

20:23, Today: Tom Horn rolled 9,6,1 using 1d10,1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 9,6,1.  Shooting.

20:25, Today: Tom Horn rolled 13,24,8 using 3d6,3d6,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,5,4,(6+6+2)14,3,(6+1)7,(6+2)8.  Damage.

Total Damage: 45 (against an Extra)

OOC: Combat over, for the time being.


The group gathered at the stables can hear the roar of firearms as shots are exchanged in the vicinity of the bunkhouse. Moments later, the southern wall of the ranch’s large barn is enveloped in flames, the Regulators’ celebratory howls audible even over the din of battle.
Albert Cooper
 player, 483 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 22:39
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded his approval at the apparent success of the remainder of those in his group. He wouldn't let his guard down anytime soon, but felt that that he was surrounded by competent people.

Once it seemed their immediate vicinity had been cleared, Albert took a quick look at those that had been slain. In particular, he wanted to make certain none of the bad guys got their hands on the whistle that started this particular problem.

He did speak quietly to the others. "Let's find that escape passage ta make sure we control it. Can't let nobody get through this way."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 318 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 05:51
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta took the opportunity to reload her rifle as she hurried to follow Albert into the stables.  She eyed those they'd killed, frowning slightly at the appearance of the woman.  Dark eyes flitted up to the stalls, particularly the one that Horn had blasted, having a glance at whatever it was he killed.  At Cooper's reminder, she nodded and began to widen her search for the secret door.



Notice: 6

22:51, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 3,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.

Marshal
 GM, 817 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 01:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper is able to retrieve the tin whistle from the dead guard in the stables. The gunfighter notes that a symbol has been etched into one end of the small instrument, the simple figure like that of a beetle, or a scarab. A quick search of the other two riflemen yields no other whistles, only a bone handled pocket knife and a few coins. As best Cooper can tell, the female sentry was the only watcher in possession of one.

Castillo’s search for the hidden portal goes no further than the man Thomas Horn killed, a guard that apparently had hidden in the stall where the trap door was located. Of Murphy’s henchman, little can be told now, the scattergun’s blast having destroyed his head and right shoulder, much of both reduced to a crimson spray spread across the back wall of the enclosure.

The seams of the trap door are readily visible once some straw has been cleared away from the floor. No handle for opening the door can be found however, a problem that Horn rectifies by using his thick bladed Bowie knife as a lever to pry the dusty portal upward. Once open, those gathered there can see a cobweb covered wooden ladder descending straight down into darkness.

Roberts enters the stable, regarding the open trap door with a grim frown. Shabbakasha and the Mescalero warriors remain outside the stable, keeping watch. Several of the fighters, along with Roving Wolf, appear noticeably tense, despite the recent victory, their attention focused on the dark horizon to the north of the ranch buildings. They watch the shadows intently, as though expecting some kind of danger to emerge from them.
Albert Cooper
 player, 484 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 21:41
XIIA - From the Shadows
After nabbing the whistle that Albert wanted to keep out of the hands of their enemies, the cowboy moved over to consider the trapdoor. He looked up to Roberts to see if the other man had anything to say, though quietly stated his appreciation for Jacinta's sharp eyes. "Well done, J-Lo."

OOC: Albert know anything about that whistle?

14:40, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,1 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Knowledge (Occult).

Probably not, unless he has a +2 from something.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 319 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 06:26
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Don't look like anyone has used this in a while," she commented.  Glancing at the others, she squinted.  "So... do we wait until we're sure the others are dealing with Murphy, or jump in now and sneak up to the house to see what we can spy?"
Albert Cooper
 player, 485 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 19:18
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert frowned a moment at Jacinta's question and pulled a hand along the scruff that had formed on his cheeks and chin. "Plan was fer us ta hold this spot so Murphy ain't allowed ta leave. Splittin' up now weakens us a bit. Gotta trust our friends ta do their part. Good teammate does their part an' trusts their teammates ta do theirs."

OOC: At least I think that was the plan. Do slap me around a bit if I'm not remembering correctly.

He did push the brim of his hat up a little. "Course if we get called in fer backup by any of the other groups, that's gonna change things."

He did pull the whistle out to show the others, holding it in such a way to make sure that even a stray breeze wouldn't cause it to make noise. "While we're holdin' position, can anyone tell anything 'bout this?"
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 45 posts
 Buckshot
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 21:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts looks at the marking on the whistle, then shakes his head. “Never seen the like before,” he tells Cooper.
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 44 posts
 Roving Wolf
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 21:53
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roving Wolf steps inside the stables, a poultice of herbs pressed to his shoulder. He nods at the building’s front entrance. ”They are coming,” he says simply, his expression grim.
Albert Cooper
 player, 486 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 00:45
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert nodded. "Find cover, then. Now we got the advantage."

Taking his own advice, Albert looked for a dark spot where he could remain out of sight and hopefully begin the anticipated firefight from behind cover.

OOC: I'm assuming there are spots where he can get out of sight.

10 Stealth, plus an additional +2 if his Thief Edge would come into play.

16:44, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,10 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+4)10.  Stealth.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 320 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 02:56
XIIA - From the Shadows
At the native's warning, Jacinta crouched just inside the stall, rifle head steadily between her hands.  She cast a glance about the barn at the others, waiting with nervous anticipation of what was to come.
Tom Horn
 NPC, 11 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 04:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
Horn looks out at the flatland north of the stable. ”You know, we might want to give a little thought to goin’ into that tunnel,” he offers laconically.

Roberts looks out in the same direction. His complexion goes pale, and he nods mutely in agreement.
Marshal
 GM, 819 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 04:44
XIIA - From the Shadows
From their positions of cover, Castillo and Cooper can see what Shabbakasha and Horn are referring to. Perhaps two hundred yards out, gathered in a ragged line, are wolves, the tattered, decaying canines that roam the Capitan Mountains, refusing to surrender to the death that claimed them decades, perhaps even a century ago. The pale moon reflects the blank silver of their eyes, their gaze fixed unblinkingly at the buildings that comprise the Murphy Ranch.

At a guess, those in the stable would estimate the number of wolves at around one hundred. Possibly more.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 321 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 05:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Close the damn doors!" she shouted, eyes widening as she saw the pack headed their way.  Hearing Horn, she nodded.  "Ain't gonna argue with that, gringo,"

Grabbing one of the lanterns from the wall, she crouched by the trap door.  "Cooper!"
Albert Cooper
 player, 488 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R3 B4 L0
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 17:17
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert emerged from his hiding spot. He had done such a nice job of slipping into the shadows, too. Rather unfortunate that he had to leave so soon. "Yeah, tunnel sounds better'n bein' kibble. Let's go."

The cowboy moved over to the trap door and worked to open it up so that the others could enter. He was glad there was a lantern available.
Marshal
 GM, 823 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 19:50
XIIA - From the Shadows
Some of the Mescalero Warriors climb onto the stable’s roof, while others begin throwing bales of hay in a rough semicircle around the building. Those on the roof notch arrows in their bows, lighting the arrowheads on fire.

”Go,” one of the warriors tells those at the tunnel’s entrance, ”We will hold them for as long as we are able. Kill as many as we can.”

Roberts takes one of the nearby lanterns and descends the ladder, the aging wood creaking as he climbs down, loose cobwebs clinging to his clothing. The ladder continues to groan in protest as the remaining riders travel it to reach Murphy’s escape tunnel. The gloom grows deep, the glow from the lantern thin and fragile as it strains against the darkness.

Even before the posse members reach the bottom of the ladder, each has noticed how cold the air has become; a frigid temperature that belongs to deepest winter, strong enough to slowly render hands, feet, and faces numb. The tunnel that stretches away from the ladder’s base is not simply a crude corridor cut into the earth. The walls, ceiling, and floor are each covered in gray stone. Looking ahead, the posse members can see that a pair of openings, leading to what appear to be alcoves, have been cut into either side of the passage, the recesses facing each other. Some distance from the first pair of alcoves, there is a second set, the details of the further pair almost completely lost to the dark.

A breeze, gentle but icy, travels down the tunnel to those gathered at the ladder. It lingers long enough to elicit a shudder, then ceases.
Albert Cooper
 player, 490 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W3 R3 B4 L0
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 23:21
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert frowned briefly. "They ain't got thumbs, so worse comes ta worse, mebbe follow us." Of course defending a roof from animals might be even easier than defending a tunnel. "Good luck. Hope ta see y'all soon."

Brief farewell done, Albert slipped down into the tunnel and looked about. He spoke quietly. "Let's take it nice'n slow. Quarry can't slip past us here. Ain't no reason ta rush." Taking his own advice Albert moved in a very deliberate fashion as they headed toward the house.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 322 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W6 R2 B7 L0
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 05:58
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta crept along the tunnel with the others, eyes and ears open for the first signs of trouble.  She eyed those alcoves with open curiosity as they passed, half expecting something to be hiding within them (at the very least) or discovering that they'd been made to contain some sort of inhuman guardian (at the very worst).