XIIA - From the Shadows.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 792 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 01:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
The Mescalero warriors, along with their companions, work their way across Murphy’s land with patient precision, remaining unseen and unheard. Leaving their horses well behind the ridge that lies west of Murphy’s home, they cross the last stretch of flatland on foot. They are scrupulously watchful, pausing at each sound, each unknown shadow, ensuring that nothing is allowed to register their presence.

They gather at a low depression to the north of the stables, well outside of the lantern light that illuminates the structure’s interior, as well as a wide circle around it. His rifle in hand, Andrew Roberts glances up at the night sky. ”Wind’s quiet,” he whispers, ”Maybe it’s waiting. Saving it’s strength so it can sweep whatever’s left away once we’re done.”

From the vantage point of the depression, the gathered riders can see that the stables are guarded by two men and a woman. The two men are stationed at the stable’s main entrance, both armed with rifles. The woman is seated in a chair inside, a shotgun across her lap, toying with a cylindrical piece of metal that hangs around her neck on a chain. Although none of the three appear pensive, all seem alert.

Besides the guards, none of the riders observe anyone else in the vicinity of the stables.
Albert Cooper
 player, 469 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 01:31
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert moved quietly and carefully along with the others. He squinted in the direction of the various buildings, though more of his attention was on the stables than anywhere else.

At Roberts' commentary, Albert quietly grunted. "Lack wind makes our job more difficult. Or least slower. Let's be careful as we approach." Albert checked his weapon, then looked up at Roberts and nodded.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 310 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 07:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta lay prone on her belly at the edge of the depression, rifle against her shoulder as she surveyed the ranch.  A slight frown appeared as she spotted those guarding the barn.  Quietly, she leaned closer to Albert and the others to speak.

"The men I understand, but who is the woman inside?  Have to stay outside of that circle of light to get at 'em, but not much cover between here and there.  Could take 'em out from here, but that'd ruin the surprise."
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 40 posts
 Buckshot
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts is silent for a moment as he studies the scene.”I don’t recognize any of their faces. I haven’t seen ‘em on any posters anywhere. Of course, there’s plenty of bad sorts that never end up with a reward tied to ‘em”
Tom Horn
 NPC, 10 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:34
XIIA - From the Shadows
”Their faces don’t mean anything to me either,” Horn agrees, gently checking the cartridges in his Winchester. ”Someone with Murphy’s money, they could reach out just about anywhere for hired guns.”
Shabbakasha
 NPC, 43 posts
 Roving Wolf
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:35
XIIA - From the Shadows
”It seems strange to me. A man expecting danger. Waiting for hunters to come to his home. And yet, he leaves only three to watch over his way out,” Roving Wolf whispers.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 41 posts
 Buckshot
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 16:35
XIIA - From the Shadows
”What are you thinkin’?” Roberts asks, looking to Cooper and Castillo, ”You want to try to take them down, quiet like, before all the shooting starts? See if we can get inside? We might have the means to make that happen.” A trio of the Apache warriors nod in agreement.

”Or you think it’s better to rush ‘em? Shoot ‘em down the minute the Regulators start their ruckus?”
Albert Cooper
 player, 470 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 19:16
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert tipped his head side to side for a few moments. "I think we should wait fer the distractions that're happenin' elsewhere ta see how these folk react. Might reduce their numbers fer us, or at least split 'em up. Might also give us a chance ta sneak up on these folk."

He looked around at the others briefly. "Ranger said we're s'posed ta co-ordinate our timin' with theirs. An that plan seems sound."
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 311 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 04:03
XIIA - From the Shadows
Jacinta nodded in agreement.  "They're supposed to be a distraction, not us.  If we start something and it gets loud, then all this sneakin' is for nothing."  She turned her gaze elsewhere, searching for signs of movement from the house or any other figures lurking in the darkness.  "They shouldn't be too long now."
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 42 posts
 Buckshot
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 20:24
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts nods in silent assent to Castillo’s and Cooper’s recommendations. At the stable, one of the riflemen at the entrance lights a cigarette, he and his companion gazing searchingly at the surrounding darkness. Inside the well lit structure, the woman opens and closes the shotgun in her lap, shifting in her seat nervously.

Looking about, Castillo does not see any signs of movement in the vicinity of her and her fellow riders’ position.
Marshal
 GM, 797 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 23:18
XIIA - From the Shadows
The relative stillness holds for a few more minutes, the trio of guards at the stable remaining vigilant. Then, the quiet is broken by an exuberant howl from the western side of the property as the wellhouse is abruptly swallowed in flames. Gunshots, the reports of pistols and rifles aimed skyward, create a momentary, chaotic thunder.

OOC: Everyone kindly provide me with an Initiative draw.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 312 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 06:38
XIIA - From the Shadows
23:38, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: JD using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Albert Cooper
 player, 473 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 16:58
XIIA - From the Shadows
OOC:
09:58, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: 6C using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 798 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 02:13
XIIA - From the Shadows
20:22, Today: Marshal drew the single card: KH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Female Guard.

20:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 10D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Riflemen.

20:24, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 8D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Allies.

Initiative Order

KH - Female Guard
JD - Jacinta Castillo
10D - Riflemen
8D - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)
6C - Albert Cooper


At the abrupt clamor of gunfire, the female guard jumps to her feet and raises the metal cylinder hanging around her neck to her mouth. She blows on one end of it, producing a sharp, chittering sound that can be heard even over the din from the wellhouse.

OOC: Your action, Señorita Castillo.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 313 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 21:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
"That can't be good," Jacinta muttered.   Peering over the edge of the berm, she took aim at one of the riflemen and fired.


Shooting: 11
Damage: 14 (w/ Raise)

Initiative: 2S


14:47, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 11,6 using d10+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 9,4.  Shooting.
14:49, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 14 using 2d8+1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3,(6+1)7.  Damage w/ Raise.
14:50, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 2S using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.

Marshal
 GM, 802 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
Castillo’s shot smashes into the forehead of one of the riflemen, causing his eyes to briefly protrude from his skull in an almost comical expression of surprise. He tumbles backward, sliding down the outer wall of the stable, staining it with a long streak of blood as he drops into a slumped sitting position. His rifle, unfired, falls uselessly into his lap.

The second rifleman snaps his weapon to his shoulder, firing at the muzzle flash of Castillo’s shot.

22:45, Today: Marshal rolled 19 using 1d8-2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+8+5)21.  Shooting - Rifleman.

22:47, Today: Marshal rolled 4 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4.  Target.

22:48, Today: Marshal rolled 8,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,7,1.  Rifleman - Damage.


The bullet tears into Shabbakasha’s shoulder, the wound immediately spilling dark blood down the Comanche shaman’s buckskin shirt. Aside from a soft grunt at the impact, Roving Wolf makes no sound.

OOC: Shabbakasha is shaken with one wound.
Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 43 posts
 Buckshot
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:29
XIIA - From the Shadows
Roberts returns the surviving rifle man’s fire, blasting a vicious wound in the right side of the guard’s neck. The man makes a horrible gurgling sound as he drops his weapon, vainly trying to staunch the flow of bright red blood that spills down his chest and legs. He succumbs to the injury quickly, sinking to his knees before dropping lifelessly onto his side.

23:02, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 7,8 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,(6+2)8.  Shooting.

23:02, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 19,1 using 2d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(8+7)15,1.  Damage.

Marshal
 GM, 803 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:30
XIIA - From the Shadows
23:16, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 6,16 using 1d10,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,(6+6+4)16.  Spirit.

Shabbakasha is able to shed the shaken condition. He still retains the wound.


Roving Wolf and the four Mescalero warriors that joined Castillo, Cooper, and Roberts move out of the depression. Keeping low, they rush to either side of the stables. Shabbakasha and one of the warriors head to the eastern end, while the others take the west, effectively trapping the guard inside, should she attempt to flee in either direction.

Initiative Order

KH - Female Guard
JD - Jacinta Castillo
10D - Riflemen
8D - Allies (Roberts, Shabbakasha, Mescalero Warriors)

6C - Albert Cooper

Mr. Cooper, you have the floor.

Albert Cooper
 player, 475 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 02:42
XIIA - From the Shadows
Electricity arced across Albert's eyes as he focused on the remaining target. His weapon glowed with a pale white energy for a moment before the cowboy pulled the trigger.

After doing so, he moved closer to the entrance keeping the barrel of his weapon trained on the last guard standing.

OOC: Two magic tricks first! Boost shooting to d10 and smite. Neither is a raise, so that's terrible. Down to 3/15 PP.

Shot hits for 10 damage (AP 1)

Albert moves in order to keep up with everyone else, though he's keeping the target in his sights.

KD for next round.


19:37, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

19:37, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 10 using 2d6+3, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Damage (AP1).

19:36, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,5 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,5.  Shooting (remaining guard).

19:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 4,3 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3.  Shootist (Smite).

19:33, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7,4 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Shootist (Boost shooting).

Marshal
 GM, 805 posts
 W2 R1 B2
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 00:15
XIIA - From the Shadows
Cooper’s shot strikes the woman in the center of her chest, inflicting a wide, black wound. The impact drives her backwards, causing her to fall into the chair where she was previously seated. Her expression is one of confusion, until she looks down and sees her mortal injury. When she does, bewilderment is replaced by relief.

She sinks back into the chair, aging thirty or perhaps forty years in a matter of moments, lines etching themselves across her face, her dark hair slowly overtaken by silver. She sighs, her eyes fluttering closed as the chain around her neck breaks with a gentle clink, the whistle landing on the weapon in her lap. Her head sags to one side and she is still.

Within the stable, several of the horses neigh and snort, stirred up by the sudden violence.

OOC: Everyone give me a Notice roll.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 314 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 07:03
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Nice shot, Coop," Jacinta grinned at the gunslinger.  She glanced back to the barn and surrounding area, scanning for other threats.


Notice: 6 (or 8 if avoiding surprise)

00:00, Today: Jacinta Castillo rolled 3,6 using d8+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Notice.

Albert Cooper
 player, 476 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 12:38
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert smiled at the compliment and quietly returned it. "Nice shootin' yerself, J-Lo."

His attention was still mostly on the woman who had changed so dramatically after being shot.

OOC:
05:35, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 2,3 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3.  Notice.

Andrew Roberts
 NPC, 44 posts
 Buckshot
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 17:30
XIIA - From the Shadows
10:47, Today: Andrew Roberts rolled 4,10 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 2,(6+2)8.  Notice.

11:12, Today: Shabbakasha rolled 12,2 using 1d8-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of (8+5)13,3.  Notice.


Roberts frowns, then glances at his companions. ”Ya’ll feel that?” he asks in a hissing whisper. Visibly tensing, Roving Wolf nods in response.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:57, Tue 13 Oct 2020.

Albert Cooper
 player, 477 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W1 R3 B4 L0
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 17:52
XIIA - From the Shadows
Albert raised his eyebrows and shook his head. His query was quiet. "Feel what?"
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 315 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W5 R2 B7 L0
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 06:02
XIIA - From the Shadows
"Yes!" Jacinta hissed back.  She grabbed for Albert's arm as she leapt to her feet.  "Something's about to pay us a visit.  Run!"    And without waiting, she broke into a sprint heading for the barn.