[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition.   Posted by DM Alcyone.Group: 0
Bright Eyes
 player, 36 posts
 Human Artificer
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 06:44
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
As if remembering something Bright Eyes kneels down and removes a lens from a belt pouch, spending some time calibrating and adjusting small sigils on the gold frame as she aligns it to the magical resonances of the area.

casting detect magic as a ritual

This message was last edited by the player at 06:45, Tue 24 Oct 2017.

Thadras Greenwood
 player, 24 posts
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 14:45
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
"There's still a body here, alive or dead I know not yet. More than likely its one of these lost clerics. If there's any life left in them we need to help them and if not we should give them a proper burial before we do anything else."
Before entering the tent Thadras asks Synovar to come examine the body since he is the cleric and may be best equipped to handle the situation. He doesn't know much about medicine or healing yet but he will offer his assistance and learn what he can in the process.

OOC: Gonna Help Synovar to give him advantage on a medicine roll if he accepts, if not Thadras can always try himself.
Quari Baldovino
 player, 27 posts
 Vampiric Necromancer
 I really am a good guy
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 19:01
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Making his way into the camp site, Quari let his gaze fall over the whole of the place. He took note of the spears and the claw marks. He looked around at the broken spears with some fur and then the blood. A few things passed through his head as he looked out at the grassland surrounding the Temple. When Bright Eyes started speaking her theory, Quari nodded. "That is a fair enough assumption. But I would place my bet that what the Clerics were looking for, and subsequently what attacked them, came from down there," Quari said, pointing at the stairs that Maol was guarding. "Which means, there is a good chance that it was sealed down there for one reason or another."

Going through what Bright Eyes said about the creature being clawed and on two feet, Quari squinted in thought about what all sorts of creatures of the night could include such a thing. More over, how many of them would be in this kind of environment. (Roll Nature)

As Thadras called out that there was a body, Quari made his way over to the two at the tent. Hopefully, it was alive and not crazed. Getting first-hand information would be a good thing, but not if the person was well out of their mind.


OOC: Rolled 13 to try and think of what creatures would most likely fit the area and the destruction.
12:00, Today: Quari Baldovino rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Knowledge: Nature to Identify Creatures.

River
 player, 20 posts
 Tabaxi
 Rogue
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 19:30
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Leaving the body to those more knowledgeable of such things, River joined Maol at the stairs.  "What do you think?  Any chance some of the clerics are still alive?" she asked, more to kill time than anything else.
Synovar Solaria
 player, 18 posts
 High Elf
 Life Cleric
Tue 24 Oct 2017
at 22:48
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
When prompted Syn comes over and inspects the body.

17:47, Today: Synovar Solaria rolled 13 using 2d20+4, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 9,1.  Medicine with advantage .
DM Alcyone
 GM, 44 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 00:00
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Birght Eyes began casting a spell to detect in magic within an area around her but she wasn't able to sense anything.

Quari searched his memory but with the lack of information about this land no one creature stood out in his mind.

Synovar and Thadras pop into the tent to examine the body. It was obvious the man was dead from the moment they looked at him. It was mostly a skeleton left with remnants of torn and tattered clothing. Upon closer inspection, there were signs of chewing and bite marks on the bones. Many of the bones had been snapped cleanly in half where the bites were.
Thadras Greenwood
 player, 25 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 05:49
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
He should have known from the stench of death that filled the tent that there wouldn't be a living person inside but he had to hope. As the sight of the man's ruined and devoured body compounded with the smell that filled his nostrils, Thadras retched and only barely kept his last meal down. Stepping back out of the tent he knelt down for a moment with nothing to say for once.

He took some time before stating what they all had already known, "He's dead, something tore him up good and spent some time chewing on him before heading back down to wherever it came from... There's not much left of him but I think it'd be right and proper to give him a burial or build a funeral pyre or something, whatever is the proper custom for his folk..."
Bright Eyes
 player, 37 posts
 Human Artificer
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 16:18
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
"There are no magical auras in this area," Bright Eyes reports after having looked around with the spell active. It would still last for several minutes so she kept focus on it while she prepared the compact bullseye lantern with oil. She shakes her head at the news of the body in the tent, sad but not surprising. "If we want to go down, we should go down now. By the blood trail we can suppose there might be more than one grave being dug tonight, unfortunately."

She lights the lantern and holds it aloft, the polished back wall of its construction reflecting a strong cone of light. "Shall we?
River
 player, 21 posts
 Tabaxi
 Rogue
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 16:52
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
River pulls out her rapier as Bright Eyes joins her and Maol at the stairs. "You think there's danger here?" she asked jokingly, already expecting a fight.
Synovar Solaria
 player, 20 posts
 High Elf
 Life Cleric
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 16:59
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Synovar holds his head high as he inspects the body. Thadras's reaction is all he can take however, the young elf turn quite green and walks away. The announcement by Bright Eyes is a welcome distraction. After saying a brief prayer to Corellon for the dead he readies himself to follow her down the stairs.
Bright Eyes
 player, 39 posts
 Human Artificer
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 17:10
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Bright Eyes nods slightly at River and reaches back to strap her kettle helm on, its circular, wide, metal brim casting her face and shoulders in shadow. She makes sure Lady is loaded and carries it in her right hand while the left holds the lantern. She waits for everyone to fall in line or offer other ideas and is ready to go down when everyone else is, in the marching order they had discussed previously.
Maol Ben
 player, 19 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 18:17
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
OOC: can we have a replay of the agreed marching order to save ploughing through lots of posts?
Bright Eyes
 player, 40 posts
 Human Artificer
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 18:33
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
MAOL
RIVR
THAD
QUAR
BRIG
SYNO

Thadras Greenwood
 player, 26 posts
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 18:50
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Thadras takes a moment more to collect himself again before speaking. "Of course, you're right Bright Eyes. There's may be someone who could use our help while we dawdle. So let us move on."
He to draws his rapier before nodding to the group his readiness to proceed.
Quari Baldovino
 player, 28 posts
 Vampiric Necromancer
 I really am a good guy
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 22:43
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
With a grumble, Quari poked his head into the tent and notices the bones. Nothing was coming to his head as to what this could be, more so cause there was no records of this land. He'd have to fix that when he had the time. Listening to the others, Quari gave a nod, removing himself from the tent. "I'd be better at ease burning it. Through returning to ash, you can help the future," he said, directed to no one in particular. Seeing that people were ready to head down, Quari made his way over to the group, sparing a glance down the steps. Back on the main land he had an idea what lived down in those depths. Here, all bets were off. "I'm ready when you are."
Bright Eyes
 player, 41 posts
 Human Artificer
Wed 25 Oct 2017
at 22:46
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
"Oh, if anyone has a free hand-- I can carry both the lantern and Lady but I need both hands to use her."
DM Alcyone
 GM, 55 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 02:27
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Maol started down the stairs while Bright Eyes held up her bull lantern from near the back of the pack. The stone stairs were uneven and he was unsettled by the fact that where there should be plenty of cobwebs hitting his face there were none. Paying attention to below he missed a rock on the stairs and his ankle twisted and he began to fall towards the wall. River managed to cover for the dwarf and steady stick her arm in between the wall and the dwarf to muffle the sound of metal meeting stone. As Thadras came to a sudden stop Bright Eyes had to stop Quari from running into the man possibly alerting anyone around to their presence. For the short trip down the stairs it was rather eventful but due to some quick thinking it was relatively quiet moving.

At the bottom of the landing there was a square room with a large collection of gnarled bones from various sources that had been chewed on tossed wherever onto the floor of it. Some looked relatively fresh.

There was a closed door in front of them adjoining another hall. On the door there were scratch marks and a large X painted onto it with what looked blood. There appeared to be a feather sticking out of the door.

There was a hallway to the immediate left where the group heard high pitched yelps, yips, and squeaks echoing off of the stone walls.

   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
             ╔═══╗
a            ║   │SOUNDS
             ╠───╣
b            ║   ║
             ╠───╣
c            ║   ║
             ╠───╣
d            ║   ║
         ╔═══╬───╬═══╗
e        ║Riv│   │   ║           ║
         ╠───┼───┼───╬═══╦═══╦═══╬
f Syn│Bri│Tha│Mao│   │   │   │   x
         ╠───┼───┼───╬═══╬───╬═══╬
g        ║Qua│   │   ║   ║   ║   ║
         ╚═══╩═══╩═══╝   ╠───╣

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:27, Fri 27 Oct 2017.

Bright Eyes
 player, 45 posts
 Human Artificer
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 15:43
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
After the slapstick comedy routine of walking down the stairs, Bright eyes whispers loudly enough for the group to hear, something of a stage whisper, "Hear that? Let's take the left-hand passage, see what those noises are. Apparently someone thinks that door ahead of us is dangerous so we should treat it as such."
Synovar Solaria
 player, 23 posts
 High Elf
 Life Cleric
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 17:15
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Syn smiles broadly as his new found companions bumble their way down the stairs. He taps Bright Eyes on the shoulder, sheathing his shortsword and extends a hand to take the lantern.

Once down at the bottom of the stairs, he whispers.

"Go toward the noise. I will watch our backs and alert you if anything comes from behind us."


OOC: Is it reasonable for me to hold the lantern for the group while using my dark vision to watch our backs?
Also do you use passive or active perception for noticing traps on in an area like this?

Quari Baldovino
 player, 31 posts
 Vampiric Necromancer
 I really am a good guy
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 19:50
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Having the back of his shirt grabbed, Quari stumbled slightly. He hadn't realized Thadras had stopped. Clearing his throat, Quari moved off to the side and looked around. He shot a curious look down the hallway towards the door before looking back down the Northern passage. "I agree. However, there's a side passage over there. We should at least have a look. Make sure the noise isn't a distraction to get flanked." Quari moved towards the door a few paces, keeping his eyes squarly placed upon the South-bound corridor.



OOC: Quari will move to F;5 and Ready a Firebolt for anything coming around the corner from G;7
River
 player, 25 posts
 Tabaxi
 Rogue
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 21:16
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
"I'll sneak down the noisy corridor and see if I can get an idea of either what or at least how many are down there." River said softly before making her way down the corridor to try and see if she can make out what's making all that noise.

Moving to B4
Ouch!
16:14, Today: River rolled 9 using 1d20+7.  Steath (w/ expertise).

Thadras Greenwood
 player, 33 posts
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 10:46
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Thadras moves carefully to the corner of the room beside Quari and adjacent to the hallway River is inspecting being careful to avoid the bones that litter the ground. Before she gets out of range he takes a cue from Synovar and adopts a stage whisper as well, loud enough to be heard but hopefully silent enough not to draw any undesired attention.
"If anything in there comes after you, lead it back here and we can ambush it."
After that he crouches down low with his rapier in hand so that he would be at an odd height to anything approaching from the hall with noises coming from it.

OOC: Thadras moves to E5 and prepares to jump anything that comes around the corner
Maol Ben
 player, 24 posts
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 14:01
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
quote:
"lead it back here and we can ambush it."


"Good idea" whispered Maol.  "I'll join in with that."

The dwarf moved into the opposite corner from Thadras and stood with great axe at the ready.


Move to E3

This message was last edited by the player at 14:03, Sat 28 Oct 2017.

Bright Eyes
 player, 47 posts
 Human Artificer
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 15:06
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Bright Eyes stays on the stairs, pressing herself to the north wall in case Synovar wants to move into the room. Quietly she whispers, "River is scouting, will bring back a fight if she finds it." for Synovar's benefit as she opens the breach on her rifle and double checks the chambering, closing it back with a satisfying metallic clatter. To the others she peeks out of the stairwell and whispers, "If she hits a turn, we should advance up to it and proceed like that. A fight here could mean drawing enemies from the door and the other passage more easily."

I'm suggesting we stay one 'turn' or corner behind River
Bright Eyes
 player, 48 posts
 Human Artificer
Wed 1 Nov 2017
at 02:59
[Game Thread] Old Temple Expedition
Did you need anything from us, DM?