The Beginning (IC)   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
Ibro Utrada
 player, 2 posts
Wed 13 Dec 2017
at 18:46
The Beginning (IC)
Lowering his gaze to focus on the slain man with an arrow in his back, Ibro questions the guard "Looks pretty lax so far. You guys ever tried just sending a letter? It's a lot cheaper than kidnapping and manacles I bet"

Being more than a little skeptical of the situation, Ibro begins working to loosen his bindings.


Ibro Utrada rolled 8 using 1d20+6.  Acrobatics.  Well, our rolls can only go up from here right?
Lieam Whitewood
 player, 2 posts
Wed 13 Dec 2017
at 23:41
The Beginning (IC)
Leiam complies when instructed to line up, hurrying his tiny frame along to get in line. He looked around at everyone else in a bit of wonder. Never before had he been so very surrounded by such mountainous creatures. He was used to the dealings with other halflings, and the occasional elf. [Language unknown:  Poadho laril p usngch esones aiil oerntiforove ar il usaden, nocena wa, elno?] He said with a small chuckle to the elven woman. But then he tried to get serious again and listen.

"Right then. So we'll just be off to see the queen, then, yes? Surely if she wishes to meet with us, there's no need to lock us all away like this."
The GM
 GM, 29 posts
Wed 13 Dec 2017
at 23:51
The Beginning (IC)
The guard looks at the halfling and nods.

"I agree, this seems like a lot of trouble. Either some of you actually committed the crimes or she really needs a bunch of rookies to go fetch a grail or something."

He chuckles, and leads your party to the fairly small room the queen is waiting in. She sits behind a beautiful mahogany table, which shines and reflects in the torchlight. The queen is a pretty woman, one who projects confidence and a level of calmness that seems almost unsettling. She looks each member of your group over, seemingly to size you up, and she sighs.

"Is this the best we can do?"

The guard nods and says "Yes, m'lady."

"Alright. Free them and take your leave. Send Zaran in."

He walks behind each of you and unties your hands, releasing the binding.

"Yes, m'lady."
Jhithi
 player, 10 posts
 Dragonborn bard
 HP: 9/9 AC: 10
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 00:58
The Beginning (IC)
Jhithi listens to the guard's explanation of what will happen to them and considers carefully before whispering back to Torrin. [Language unknown:  "Omsa rom cehi u echeai. Hi witeauort oulla everei ureomende evpeos. O hi ioupe whacpa, p thihouted roany rom astiun rea."]

She falls silent again as the group files down the hall and into the room with the queen. As soon as she finds her hands free, she bows low. "Your majesty," she says, still bowing, but projecting loudly enough to clearly be heard, "what a great honor this is. Thank you for this opportunity to not only see your incredibly well-built prison, but to experience your beauty first hand as well." Then she rises. "What service could one so humble as I provide you in exchange for these immeasurable gifts?"
The GM
 GM, 30 posts
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 07:06
The Beginning (IC)
The queen smiles lightly.

"The prison is hellish, but it is what is necessary; the same could be said of I."

Zaran walks into the room, looking significantly cleaner. He bows before the queen.

"You called, m'lady?"

His thick dwarven accent seems to have disappeared in the presence of the queen.

"Yes, Zaran. You are to guide these adventurers to the capital of Cormyr, Suzail. Once there, they will get onto a ship."

The queen stares at Zaran.

"You and Jaffan will get on with them, but I would ask that the two of you stay in Westgate, to act as my eyes. The rest of you will take a ship directed to Scardale, where you will then take the road north to Hillsfar. You are being sent as an envoy, unofficially. The First Lord, Vuhm Yestral, has demanded adventurers from every developed nation, and we simply cannot spare any Purple Dragons. There is no word on to what his call regards, but the rumour states that he is calling for investigation of the forests, perhaps even a venture into the accursed city of Myth Drannor."
Bavmorda
 player, 9 posts
Fri 15 Dec 2017
at 19:34
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda, increasingly impatient with the lack of information, huffs, [Language unknown:  E sswear ce atiou t ec libehi ce ted rehatint ventedave-ectame houameand enc’e iefont pr, mi t’n ce, com po atto sa os of aialos beekpe notanyruting ut n whe artncecon hi utneta, siure readi eeest ntles esur terpa lllodi nooer manan i eiivev llecad.]
Lieam Whitewood
 player, 4 posts
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 05:20
The Beginning (IC)
Unwilling to move from his location, he conjures up a spectral hand to drag a chair over to him (Mage Hand) before dismissing it and climbing up onto the chair to actually see over the table and listen to the orders of the Queen.

[Language unknown:  He la tr larcomlat iv thudayantiouven Tic. Anre pa artio acacla ioalof newhou eraiveday encev ee rutandand k be alwil, our pohe wihi hape shewiticares neer witonsble erastrtin llarad.] He mutters largely to himself as he climbs up and adjusts his clothing once more for comfort.

Aye, well, so far it sounds like you want us to do something and go somewhere. Or perhaps go somewhere and do something. You could have sent a letter in the post, I'm sure. Might have been more clear. [Language unknown:  N inevorkor.]
The GM
 GM, 32 posts
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 21:42
The Beginning (IC)
The queen smiles and chuckles.

"It's refreshing to see people with so much spirit. Be aware that were you to take this attitude with any of my siblings or predecessors, you'd have been thrown straight back in to the Castle, this time without your belongings, or a hope of leaving."

She turns to Bavmorda.

"Now, adventurers, I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I am sending you all on a quest. You have not proven to be trouble, and I am trusting, but should you need more reward, think of it as a personal favor to the Queen, with all that entails. I am answering the Lord of Hillsfar's calls for help, as they did ours. You are here, in the Castle Irlingstar, because it cannot be known that Cormyr is sending adventurers; though we are allies, it was far less complicated to have our War Wizards teleport some travelers into cells than it would be to explain to the High Marshal of the Purple Dragons why we are sending a military force to help Hillsfar."

The queen reaches into a box by her side and pulls out a sheet of parchment and a quill, and slides it across the table.

"In order to aid you, I shall grant you provisional Adventurer's Licenses. Your weapons will be peacebound until you reach Westgate, but that is more protocol than anything else. Zaran will do the binding now, and he will be the one to release it. The paper before you is our contract - a provisional license and your freedom in exchange for at the least hearing what the Lord has to say."

She runs her finger along the page, summarizing the contract.

"You will also be provided with transportation to Hillsfar, room and board for the duration of your quest, and a portion of a tab amounting 2 gold lions a week per person toward your food and drink, for the duration of  your adventures in Hillsfar. Do you have any other questions?"
Bavmorda
 player, 12 posts
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 00:51
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda blows a lock of blue hair off of her face, “aye, who in the blazes are you and what are you even queen of? What kind of quest is this? And why the heck would any of you think I’d want to do that? I’ve got my own answers to find.”
The GM
 GM, 33 posts
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 01:39
The Beginning (IC)
"I am Raedra, daughter of Irvel, queen of Cormyr. I do apologize for the situation we have put you in, but your choice is either to do as we ask or remain here. I'd imagine your personal quests would be greatly aided by the wealth and power one might obtain by being owed a favor from royalty."

The queen nods and sits patiently.
Torg'renth
 player, 3 posts
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 01:28
The Beginning (IC)
Torg signs the document.

"I will not be beholden to you, queen, I simply cannot wait in this cell until I die, and if the options are to break out of prison or to traipse around a forest at the request of the queen, the decision is obvious to me."
Bavmorda
 player, 13 posts
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 21:40
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda begins pacing stiffly, muttering to herself but growing ever louder so that by the end she’s shouting toward the ceiling “[Language unknown:  Tase n romtedoul, P’ac unro-stli o lesur witoreeau la yin newedi, omeoneenc i ive iouessati, ri o el ce pro erswitrat. Ec’p mo ul ecneasdi ioame mapa us onncivtent te nottersom reivmi pl N’u us’es us hoeimo, ith p amenot'undoresan cesa staomeica terna. Andundnde onan undwhipro ndwa cetier Ek’o fi, ess witoveing hoonta ortesster T a m essinever’le ur virng ha estareson ur eau houtereen. Et neolte ilpr his nd p ineentvir ro Ek’u di linredredcon inchicon verst’en liour llomes!]

Then she stalks over to sign with a forceful use of quill and throws it back onto the table.
Ibro Utrada
 player, 5 posts
Wed 20 Dec 2017
at 00:14
The Beginning (IC)
Ibro strides to the table and signs his name carefully. "Westgate. Scardale. Hillsfar. Myth Drannor. A mystery task with a bunch of mystery people. You're not expecting having to pay those Golden Lions for long"
Lieam Whitewood
 player, 5 posts
Wed 20 Dec 2017
at 10:10
The Beginning (IC)
[Language unknown:  "Elch ill, p int Artat, Tihi der lar tic ledint. T Was ain k vorrutset, usolil. Weseckpo, somforcon Po thu, ar ainwerest anie al prentithe nc plpoas ereurefor ieofic thaartred red as."] The halfling smiled up towards Bavmorda. A document to sign. Lovely. And it's on the table. He sighed and hopped off the chair he stood upon to go to the table, dragging the piece of furniture loudly across the floor as he went, so that he could stand upon it and find the paper. Oops, too far to the left. Best hop down and slide the chair again. That's got it. He stares at the document a moment, then sighs and signs it.

"I do hope there will be proper payment and goodwill when this is all over. I'll stand none of this "I didn't intend you to live" talk when we return." He said, finishing signing his name. He hopped from the chair, made more noise as he scooted it back from the table, and once more stood upon it.
Bavmorda
 player, 15 posts
Wed 20 Dec 2017
at 17:20
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda raises a blue eyebrow and a bemused smirk crosses her lips.
The GM
 GM, 34 posts
Thu 21 Dec 2017
at 21:19
The Beginning (IC)
As the party signs the document, the queen smiles lightly.

"You will not regret your choice. I will personally ensure you are rewarded handsomely on your return. Now, it grows late; if you follow Zaran, he will lead you to your personal rooms, in the upper floors of the castle. You will be departing in the morning."

Zaran bows to the queen and stands at the door.

"If you have any other questions for the queen before you begin, it's best you ask now, lest you lose the opportunity"
Ibro Utrada
 player, 6 posts
Thu 21 Dec 2017
at 21:54
The Beginning (IC)
Ibro grumbles, not liking the scenario but not having a better option.  He raises a gauntleted fist and jabs a thumb into his chest.
"Yeah. I got a question about our suicide pact. This boat we taking around the Sea of Fallen Stars? It going to have any armaments on it? Or do we hope to use our two golden lions to bribe all the pirates we come across?"
Bavmorda
 player, 16 posts
Thu 21 Dec 2017
at 22:44
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda raises her hand, “also, do you have any useful spell books around here? It might help to learn a spell or two more before we go.
The GM
 GM, 35 posts
Thu 21 Dec 2017
at 22:59
The Beginning (IC)
"I understand your concern. The path isn't of particular import - if you'd like to take the overland path I suppose it's an option as well; there's likely less danger in the forests of Cormanthyr, so if you'd rather take that path I'll leave it up to you. Simply decide before you leave in the morning and let Zaran know and he'll guide you."

The queen writes something down on a sheet of parchment in front of her.

"And should you decide to take the sea path, the ships will be properly protected; we've lost plenty of adventurers to pirates and we don't want to lose your group as well."

She turns to Bavmorda.

"Unfortunately, the only ones with spellbooks around here are our War Wizards, and they're not one to share their magic with others"
Bavmorda
 player, 17 posts
Fri 22 Dec 2017
at 01:33
The Beginning (IC)
Bavmorda sulks.
Ser Torrin
 player, 18 posts
 "Lightning Lance"
 The Knights of Thunder
Fri 22 Dec 2017
at 04:13
The Beginning (IC)
Torrin had stood silent through the entire meeting, signing when the others signed but as they were about to be led away he finally spoke.

"I have but one question. How many innocents have you got locked away in the cells below?"
The GM
 GM, 37 posts
Sun 24 Dec 2017
at 21:54
The Beginning (IC)
"Nobody comes here without very good reason; either we have a job for them that needn't be under the public eye, or they're guilty - our War Wizards ensure that everyone we believe is guilty tells the truth. If they are found to be innocent, we allow them to leave with little fight."

The queen smiles and stands.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, my court is requesting my presence."

[Language unknown:  "Ou k er iouon arng e enichach wisedi"]
Jhithi
 player, 14 posts
 Dragonborn bard
 HP: 9/9 AC: 10
Wed 10 Jan 2018
at 18:19
The Beginning (IC)
Jhithi has been distracted with the thought of what lost music she might be able to recover from an expedition to Myth Drannor. She'd never have been able to survive a trip like that on her own, but with a team...

She snaps to as the queen stands, and quickly signs the contract, attempting to bow to while she does so, with the result that she bumps the table with her snout, smearing Torg's signature. "Thank you for this opportunity, your majesty. We will not let you down."

She does not rise until the queen has left the room. But as soon as she's gone, Jhithi stands and turns to her new companions, unaware that the document has left an ink smudge on her snout. "Well, this is exciting! How soon do we leave?"
Bavmorda
 player, 22 posts
Thu 11 Jan 2018
at 07:03
The Beginning (IC)
“What have you gotten on your face just there?” Bavmorda calls across the room, tilting her head sideways as if trying to see better. She doesn’t wait for an answer, however, preferring to puzzle it out in her own mind. “I can’t believe they don’t have any interesting spellbooks to read. What a boring place,” she says to no one in particular as she trails slowly out of the room. She finds the nearest nook that seems like it might be quiet and somehow deftly folds her rather-tall-for-an-elf frame into it. She pulls her azure colored hair free of its braids and lets it fall loose, before closing her eyes, resting her hands palms up on her knees, and growing so still and quiet one might pass her by completely unnoticed.
The GM
 GM, 38 posts
Tue 16 Jan 2018
at 01:29
The Beginning (IC)
The guards gesture to your group and politely ask you to follow them down the hallway. They lead your group to an upper floor. The floor on this upper level is clean, freshly waxed tile, bright white and golden. It is very well lit, very clean - truly befitting of the title of Castle.

The guards lead you to individual rooms. These rooms are warmly lit with fresh candles, and warm, a glowing log in the hearth. There is a large bed made up for each of you, and bookshelves filled to the brims with tales of adventure and heroes of the past, tales of a world with no magic, tales of faraway lands none of you have seen.

The room is warm and comfortable, and it's been a long day, so the guard wishes you a nice night and goes on his way, to leave you to rest.