Training.   Posted by Talistryn.Group: 0
Mehren
 player, 7 posts
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 02:09
Training
"It's a nice eye. Makes you look dangerous."

Ren offers a half smile.

"Quite a story though. Sounds like you could use a break. We can all help keep an eye on her here. She can't really get into much trouble. Let go of the leash and just act like a guy on a flight full of scoundrels. Besides, I'm sure there are more than a few things she can learn from us."

Talistryn was sweet, smart and tough. She almost felt bad for him. His sense of duty was going to weigh him down too much if he let it.

"Once Posk gets this beast going we'll work on a meal. We usually have some kind of game going on after and drinks. Hard stuff, doesn't taste great but it does the job. Maybe we can beat each other up later. Either way, get your nose out of that book and try to have some fun."

She left the room and headed out into the common area.
Talistryn
 GM, 8 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 14:33
Training
Talistryn takes a deep breath and follows out into the common area.  He'd known the ship was really too small to keep to himself.  He hated that he felt separated by his job and his title.  Even his skills sometimes made him a pariah, so he tried to hide them, when he could.  Someday, perhaps, he would stop caring who knew what he was capable of. Someday it would just be another part of who he was.  But everything he had, his station, his wealth. Everything had come from those skills.  He also felt a little hypocritical hanging on to any of it and then moralising to the princess about how she should be behaving.

He shrugs it off as he crosses the threshold into the common area.  He spends a moment getting his bearings again. The ship was a good size for the crew.  The cargo section made the map of the ship in his head seem a little pear-shaped, so much bigger than the rest of the ship.

Artemis is what Posk had called it.  It felt right, but he couldn't quite explain how or why just yet.  It suited her captain, perhaps, more than the ship.  Perhaps it would become clearer after a few days.

"Where's the galley, Captain?  I know I'm just an old soldier, but I know my way around a ship's galley.  I can see about getting food started while you deal with the important stuff for getting underway."
Mehren
 player, 8 posts
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 15:19
Training
Ren laughs a little.

"Relax, Tali. We call it a kitchen here. And any man that can cook and looks like you has room on my ship any time. This way."

She leads him through the main room where Oz is tinkering with a few minor projects. He has managed to cover an entire counter with electrical flotsam and is leaning in close to examine them. Ren stops by him and leans down with him.

"This looks messy and fun. I'll stop back once the chef is comfortable."

"Ooooh, we got a chef now, do we? Good. I'm tired of feeding everyone."

They both laugh and Ren presses a light kiss on his cheek.

"I'm tired of eating what you call food."

She barely escapes a half hearted swat as she continues on through a side door behind the counter. The Artemis is obviously far more than just a ship to it's crew. It's their labor of love and their home. Even in the spotless kitchen anyone can see it.

"Here it is. We should have a little of everything. Just take it easy on the meat, there's only enough there for one meal a day until we get where we're going. We have several protein subs around here too."

She slips on to a stool in the corner and waves her arm.

"Your kingdom for the evening, m'lord. Oh wait!"

She hops down and scurries over to one of the counters, climbs it and reaches into a cabinet above a cooling unit. She retrieves some yellow piece of cloth and jumps down. With a flourish it unfurls to reveal a very feminine apron.

"For you."

She winks and offers that crooked half smile again.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:20, Sat 11 Nov 2017.

Talistryn
 GM, 9 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Sun 12 Nov 2017
at 16:06
Training
He laughs softly at the apron, then shrugs and folds it over, tying it around his waist.

"I humbly accept this robe-of-office." He smiles warmly.  "I promise to rule with an iron fist and greatly-improved ration cubes." He pauses a moment, his forehead furrowing in concern. "There is hot sauce here someplace, right?"  Talistryn shrugs a little as he casually explores a few cabinets. Doubtless they'd be better equipped than most military ships he'd been on for food.  Sparing the meat was a sensible idea, and he knew a few ways to make the protein substitutes mimic meat pretty well.  They were a little work, but worth it, he found.

He digs up a towel and settles it over his left shoulder as he continues his kitchen-related recon.

"Are you sure Oz will be able to handle Aillithe?  I don't want to impose."
Mehren
 player, 9 posts
Sun 12 Nov 2017
at 19:57
Training
"There better be some left! Oz got a great deal on a case of Circalian sauce but Posk puts it on everything."

Ren can't help but admire the man's... technique. She couldn't figure him out though. There had to be a reason he thought so little of himself. It took everything she had not to pry his brain open and explore. Not that it was an option. She could hear Oz quietly in her mind. Not worth it, kid.

"If Oz can handle me, he can handle her. She can't intimidate him, she can't shame him and if she gets to be too much trouble he can hang her upside down by her ankles until she passes out. It works. I can tell you from experience."

She chuckled a little.

"Speaking of Oz, I said I'd be back. His fingers are a little too big for some of the parts. I'll talk to him about it."
Talistryn
 GM, 10 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 04:40
Training
Talistryn nods as Mehren goes off to help Oz with his mess-o-electronics.  He adjusts the baldric to keep the plasma-sabre out of his way while he's cooking. Near to hand, but out of the immediate path of what he's doing.  He found a few pots and a baking dish and starts to work.

The spice supplies are raided, carefully examined, and accidentally re-organised in the process as he determines what's still good, what peculiar alien things they've picked up that might be workable, and what stuff has probably passed its expiry, hidden away in the back someplace.

That done, he starts working on a noodle soup dish he'd found on a tour of duty on a strange jungle-world.  Couldn't really remember much about that posting except the soup.  He picks a couple of the protein substitutes, rather than just sticking with one and blends them very carefully, looking like an alchemist rather than a cook. If he got the proportions and the blending just right, he could make a decent taste-alike to one of the jungle fishballs that always ended up in the soup.

He mixes and blends the protein with a little water and some breadcrumbs as a binder before settling the shaped balls in the pot of water to simmer and congeal while he made the stock and the soup.  Those were easier with the preserved ingredients available, and the fresh vegetables would make a big difference.  Fake meat went better with real greenery.

"And just a hint of the spicy stuff." He murmurs as he digs up the half-empty bottle of Circalian sauce.  It would go a long way, this half-bottle.  And he only needed a little bit to round out the flavours of the soup.

"Gimme a slow burn..."
Mehren
 player, 10 posts
Tue 14 Nov 2017
at 21:32
Training
Mehren leaves him to his work and makes her way back out to Oz.

"Down to business. But first..."

After making sure they're alone she winks at Oz and nods. Music spills from speakers all over the ship. Ren knows that she's submitting everyone to what Oz calls her horrible taste, but she doesn't care.

"I just don't get your obsession with this..... stuff."

Ren settles into the space she makes on the counter and begins digging into the parts. Her hands begin working of their own volition, assembling pieces with little thought or concentration.

"This stuff is Metallica's Black Album, and it helps me work. You know that. Besides, we need to chat. I need you to work with the brat. If I had to guess I'd say that Daddy is very important and that makes everyone treat her with kid gloves. I think a little of your attention would go a long way. Besides, she'll be hard to hide if she won't listen to anyone."

Oz nods as he takes what smaller bit she's put together and begins putting them together.

"So pretend she's you and hang her by her feet a couple times?"

He laughs. Ren was a handful once upon a time. Oz had managed to get her to focus and see beyond her own nose. He took pride in the fact that he had helped her become the woman she was.

"You're right. If Semira gets a look at her we'll have more trouble than we need. One condition. You keep your distance from him."

He nods toward the kitchen. Amazing smells were starting to move through the ducts.

"You remember what happened last time."

Ren sighs and frowns. It wasn't something she was likely to ever forget.

"Deal, I guess. I can't be completely cold, he's a guest and a nice guy. But I get it."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:34, Tue 14 Nov 2017.

Talistryn
 GM, 11 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 22:49
Training
The ship lurches as Talistryn puts the now fully cooked imitation fish balls in the oven in the baking dish.  The stock was coming along well, simmering gently and melding in the pot. The air had grown warm and soft with steam from the soup, and fragrant with the smells of herbs and garlic.  The fake fish balls, while not having a smell anything like their real fish exemplars, had a lovely scent all their own.  He was pretty happy with what he'd managed for his first meal in a strange kitchen. It was good to know he hadn't lost his touch.

He debates dessert for a moment, before deciding that he'd better stick with what he'd done thus far. There wasn't really enough time to do a decent dessert anyway.  The soup would be ready just in time for Posk to enjoy it as the ship settled into cruising away from the station.  Good timing, he thought.

Talistryn hadn't really figured out the crew, or the Captain yet.  They seemed normal enough, but he also couldn't quite shake the feeling that they were hiding something.  And not just the likely smuggling.  It felt like it was something else.  He wasn't going to pry, though.  They deserved what little privacy he could give them while he was here.  And they didn't seem like a threat to the Princess, so it could safely remain a mystery.

He wipes his hands on the frilly yellow apron before he digs up a bowl of fresh fruit. Scurvy didn't just affect ancient sailors, after all.  He drags the bowl to the center of the table, spending a moment or two to make the table a little neater before food.  Then he heads back to the kitchen to check on his fish balls.  He debates knocking on Aillithe's door for a moment to let her know there would be food soon, but he decides against it for now.  She'd train extra hard, and if Oz was willing, she'd spend some time helping him around the ship, too.  It had been a long time since he'd forced her to really work at the duels.  She was improving, but he had come to the conclusion that she didn't really want to be any good at it.  He saw her mother's influence there.  There was some of her father's fire there, but mostly she seemed like her mother's daughter. He might be able to stoke what fire there was and retrieve her from the spoiled, useless aristocrat her mother wanted her to be.

He checks the fake fish once more and then continues with the cleanup.  He'd made relatively few dishes out of things, but it was both easier to work in a clean kitchen, and he hated making a mess in any event.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Wed 15 Nov 2017.

Mehren
 player, 11 posts
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 23:21
Training
Ren and Oz were finished with the work and cleaning up when Posk comes in.

"We're good to go for a few hours, Cap. Looks like we should be there in a week."

Ren nods as she wipes her hands on a cloth. Oz reaches out and ruffles Posk's hair.

"You keep flying like that, kid, and you'll be able to get a real job soon."

Ren kicks Oz in the shin. He overplays the injury, hopping around and howling.

"Don't tell him things like that! He'll want a raise or something."

Oz overdoes it a bit too much, loses his balance and hits the ground. Soon they're all laughing so hard tears are streaming from their eyes. Once everyone is calm, Oz nods at the kitchen.

"I'll go check on dinner while you two wash up."

He gets to his feet while they grumble like a couple of kids. He's pretty sure he hears the both say something like "yes dad". He's still grinning when he ducks through the door to the kitchen.

"Smells good in here. You keep cooking like that and cleaning things up and the Captain won't ever let you leave."

He leans against a counter.

"The ship's in auto-pilot so we're ready when you are."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:23, Wed 15 Nov 2017.

Talistryn
 GM, 12 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Wed 15 Nov 2017
at 23:45
Training
"Ah! Your timing is good. Here. Take this."  Talistryn hands a handful of bowls to the towering Oz.  He smiles and opens the oven, a burst of steam and the sound of sizzling meat.  He pulls the towel off his shoulder and uses it to pull the baking dish filled with fish out of the oven.

"I hope she lets me stick around.  At least until we get where we're going. I've spent time walking in space.  Doesn't agree with me, I've found.  Takes a long time get anyplace and it's a little chilly." Talistryn smiles disarmingly at Oz, his green eye twinkling with an unexpected charm, as he gives the pot of soup and noodles once last stir for good measure before mixing the browned protein into the soup and stirring it in as well.

"I think we're ready for dinner. You take those, please," he points at the bowls in Oz's large hand. "And I'll bring the actual dinner."

He'd have to let Aillithe know that dinner was ready, but that was easily done.  He figured they'd know he hadn't used any real meat, but he never could tell. Some folks hadn't been able to tell at first that he'd faked the fishbits.  He looked forward to seeing what they thought about it. Talistryn always looked forward to finding out what people thought about his cooking.  It might also give him some insight into the crew.  Manners maketh men, as it was said.  He wished Aillithe had learned that lesson, too.

"Glad we're underway?"
Mehren
 player, 12 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 00:03
Training
Oz smirks as he does as he's asked.

"Ren hasn't put anyone out an airlock in at least a month."

The aromas make his mouth water as he helps arrange things on the table. As he begins setting out plates and utensils he sizes Talistryn up. He seems like a decent and reasonable man. It was nice to have a passenger that wasn't a complete waste of oxygen around.

"I'll be happier after our detour is over. Otherwise this should be a nice, quiet trip. Speaking of the detour, when we get there your girl is gonna have to keep out of sight. She could catch the wrong eye and it might cause problems."

Oz had always been straight to the point. He felt it made things much simpler.

"Oh, and just so I can say I told ya, if you should somehow cause problems for Ren, she won't be the one puttin you out an air lock."

He flashed his own disarming smile. It was one that any predator would be proud of.
Talistryn
 GM, 13 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 03:25
Training
Talistryn sets the soup on the table, near the fruit bowl in the middle of the table.  He turns the lights down a little two, as Oz works on the settings.  He spends a moment looking Oz over.  The sensors in his cybernetic eye pick up odd things, but he shrugs them off for now as he and the larger man work on getting things ready.

"I appreciate both warnings." Talistryn doesn't acknowledge the threat more than that, even in his body language.  His tone was bland and cold, but otherwise seemed within the normal range for what Oz knew of him.

"I'll keep her out of sight while you're meeting with clients. I assumed that was part of the bargain for passage." He pauses as he takes off the apron, letting the plasma sabre fall back to its natural place at his side. It clacks against the table as he leans over to wipe a bit of spilled soup.  He doesn't add that anyone who thought to take Aillithe would have to do it over his dead body.  And, if the past had been any indication, several dozen of their own as well.

"I think we're ready for dinner. Or, whatever meal this would be. Sorry." He's suddenly back from the cold, bland soldier doing his job. "I didn't check to see where your night-cycle settings were. This could be breakfast for all I know."
Mehren
 player, 13 posts
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 19:50
Training
"Meal time is meal time. We don't worry much about what we have when."

Oz shrugs and finishes things up.

"You fetch yours and I'll fetch mine."

Oz walks out of the kitchen and heads for the washroom.

"Food's getting cold, let's eat."

There are whoops of joy as two smaller bodies flash by him, nearly knocking him off balance. Most days he watches Ren carry the weight of the universe on her shoulders but today isn't one of them. They both know how to take what joy they can where they can. So he watches her fondly for a minute before following behind. As they get to the table Ren leans in and hugs him around the waist.

"It's a good day, Oz."

"It's a great day! Look at this food!"

Posk looks at the table in admiration. He reaches out to the fruit bowl but snatches his hand back when Ren slaps it.

"We sit and wait. We may not have passengers very often but we will not behave like animals when we do."

She looks at both men sternly and they all seat themselves to wait.
Talistryn
 GM, 14 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Thu 16 Nov 2017
at 23:21
Training
Talistryn knocks on Aillithe's door as he unlocks it.  It opens a moment later to reveal Aillithe, looking slightly chagrined.

"Food's ready.  We'll talk more about your attitude after that.  For now, be polite at least, if you can't bring yourself to be friendly."

"Sorry, Talistryn."  She seems contrite, her blue eyes a little moister than usual.

"We'll see.  Sorry isn't a thing you say, Aillithe. It's the things you do."  He pauses a moment and readjusts his baldric. "You'll still need to say it, of course, but no-one will believe you if you don't correct what you did wrong in the first place."  He looks her over.  She'd been meditating. And she'd apparently punched some things if the reddened knuckles were any indication. Maybe she'd actually started to think, rather than just act.  Time would tell.

"Let's go eat. I suspect they're waiting on us."

"Sorry." She brushes a lock of stray hair back behind her ear as she follows her protector. He'd spoken to her like that before, but she felt this time was somehow different. She wasn't sure how or why, but she suspected that he was running out of patience.  Surely that was his problem, though?  She was the princess and he was just the captain of her father's guards.  Then why was she so uneasy this time.  Why did it matter so much that he was that displeased with her?

She stands beside the table as Talistryn takes a seat, smiling warmly at the crew.

"Sorry for the delay, everyone."

Aillithe takes a deep breath and looks at Mehren.

"I'm sorry I was rude when we came aboard, Captain." She tries to put a little of the tone that Talistryn had used, but she wasn't sure it worked.  She suddenly wanted to crawl back into the tiny bunk and vanish.  The handsome pilot didn't help matters. Maybe a bit skinny, but he seemed nice.  She feels her face warming as he looks at her.  "I'll try to make it right."

She takes her seat as well, not wanting to meet anyone's gaze, least of all Mehren's or Posk's.
Mehren
 player, 14 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 20:37
Training
Mehren fixes Aillithe with a stern gaze. Her tone is also stern but not harsh.

"You are forgiven this time, but don't let it happen again. As for making it up to me, during the mornings you will assist Oz. Afternoons you'll be with Posk at I at the helm. Evenings you will train. Not with your swordmaster though. You will train with me."

She nods as though that settles it. She finally relaxes and smiles.

"And while it's just us on the ship you can both call me Ren. Anywhere else it's Captain. Now dig in."

Everyone takes care to make sure Talistryn and Aillithe get food first, then Posk while Ren and Oz take fairly small portions for themselves. The three crew members look as though they've found Nirvana and never want to leave.

"Oz, you're fired. Tali, you never get to leave this kitchen. Ever."

Oz does his best to look mortified and does a terrible job.
Talistryn
 GM, 15 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 23:37
Training
He watches Aillithe as she takes food, then he takes his own. She keeps her eyes downcast, only nodding and offering a weak "Yes, ma'am" when Talistryn nods his approval of the training  idea.  Fighting the same opponent only made one's skill rigid and stale, and it was a good habit to avoid making early whenever possible.  Training with Mehren would do a good job of that. While Talistryn was certain that the captain was a very formidable opponent, he highly doubted they came at things from the same perspectives or tactics.

He looked forward to testing both the captain and Oz himself.  It would be an interesting challenge.

"I like the idea of her working with Oz and training with you, 'Ren.  It won't do to have her skills go stale.  And a new opponent will certainly help her improve." He looks pointedly at her. "If she pays careful attention."

He smiles at their reaction to the food.  He found he was very glad to be useful for something other than killing.  It was a rare enough sensation that he savours the satisfaction for a few minutes while they eat.

"I'm glad you enjoy it.  And I'm happy to keep cooking as long as we're aboard.  Especially since you're helping me with my other job while we're here."
Talistryn
 GM, 16 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Mon 27 Nov 2017
at 01:45
Training
Dinner goes quickly, with Talistryn fitting in well and easily with the crew as a whole.  Aillithe makes a spirited but abortive attempt to engage Posk, resulting only in both of them blushing and falling silent as they both retreat back behind their eyelashes to stare at each other, blushing and mumbling their way through the rest of the meal.

Talistryn clears the table while the crew munch contentedly on the fresh fruit he'd placed on the table earlier. He would try for dessert a different day when he had more time to plan it out. Better no dessert than a rushed on.  Once the dishes are going, he walks back to the common room and cracks his knuckles loudly.

"Aillithe, go put on your armour and grab your hardcase. You've work to do yet before you sleep."  He turns to the Captain. "Is there space in the cargo bay for some training, 'Ren? I can have her do other exercises if we need to remain clear of the bay, though."

Now that he's cooked and he's talking about training again, he seems to have gained some confidence and faith in his presence again. He's less reserved and there is a twinkle of good-natured mischief in his eye, though his movements are no less graceful, if perhaps a trifle faster.  And still he seems to move silently across the deck, somehow, despite his boots and the metal floor.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:52, Mon 27 Nov 2017.

Mehren
 player, 15 posts
Thu 30 Nov 2017
at 10:03
Training
Oz and Ren shared some amused glances during dinner. It seemed that they would need to teach Posk a thing or two about talking to girls. Otherwise everything was pleasant and bland. Those were the evenings the crew liked best.

While Talistryn was cleaning Ren was busy as well. When he returns her arms are loaded with bottles and cards.

"Just how many of my rules do you intend to talk me out of today?"

She chuckles a little as she starts heading for the common area.

"The bay is off limits. I'll keep to that one at least. Now you can train if you like, but we aim to play. I'd guess you might find that more to your liking, but it's up to you."

She trundles off with her load with Posk hot on her heels. Oz stops by Talistryn on his way and grins.

"A few cards shy of a deck she might be, but the woman has good advice."

He pats him on the shoulder and heads through.
Talistryn
 GM, 17 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 00:15
Training
Aillithe stops as Ren returns with the games, looking at Talistryn and hoping he takes the captain's advice. For once. She wasn't sure she was in the mood to train anyway. It had been a rough day for her.  She blushes as her eyes cross Posk again.

Talistryn considers a moment.

"Perhaps you're right.  It wouldn't do to overtrain, I suppose." He shrugs and nods to Aillithe. "You lucked out this time." He gestures for her to head toward the common area after Posk and 'Ren.  The pair follows Oz through into the common room.

"So, what's the game?"

Aillithe finds a spot at the table and starts looking at bottles, trying to avoid looking at Posk.
Mehren
 player, 16 posts
Thu 25 Jan 2018
at 20:03
Training
The various decks of cards are dropped on the main table while the bottles are arranged along a little bar cart nearby. Ren begins artfully mixing some very colorful cocktails.

"Well, we mix it up. Sometimes we play old Earth games like poker or gin, sometimes we play games we've learned at little out-of-the-way places. If you've got a particular favorite, name it and we can play it. Call it guest's choice."

Her eyes never leave what she's doing with the glasses and soon they are ready. Posk has settled himself near Aillithe but not too close. Oz is sitting opposite the two. That leave two opposing seats for Ren and Talistryn.

Ren begins setting drinks in front of people. When she announces the teenagers' drinks to be virgin Posk scowls at her while his face flushes red. Ren merely snickers as she sits, saving the last glass for herself.

Taking a sip she grins at Talistryn.

"So what'll it be, soldier?"
Talistryn
 GM, 18 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Fri 26 Jan 2018
at 00:03
Training
Aillithe manages to not to giggle at Posk's blushing scowl, but her grin is harder to hide.

Before Talistryn can get a word out, Aillithe's face lights up and her blue eyes go wide as she almost shouts "Poker!"  She giggles a little at Talistryn's non-plussed expression and shrugs at him.

Talistryn shakes his head a little as he picks up his amazing technicolour cocktail, examining the swirling colours for a few moments before taking a long drink.  When he opens his eyes again, the little red light in his cybernetic pupil is dark.

"If you want to play poker, we certainly can." He sets the drink down. "I'll even turn off the cybernetics, to make sure it's fair." His mouth twists into a wry, mischeivous grin, and the corners of his eyes crinkle slighly as the smile lightens his expression.

"Ha!" Aillithe grins in victory. "Normally he won't let me play poker.  But I've played before, so I bet I can beat him."  She turns to 'Ren.  "Is that okay?"
Mehren
 player, 17 posts
Fri 26 Jan 2018
at 12:02
Training
To everyone's shock, Posk is the one that replies after a laugh.

"Are you kidding? It's Cap's favorite! One time we were at a little station outside the Talikaan nebula..."

He's cut short by Ren clearing her throat and shaking her head, looking a little more serious than usual. It's territory well known for brutal attacks. Only certain types went there and Ren didn't need the guests thinking she was some murderous criminal.

Oz nudges her but smiles at Aillithe.

"Point being that she's the one to beat."

Ren calms down and smiles a little as she starts shuffling and dealing like a pro.

"Let's see how the first few hands go."
Talistryn
 GM, 19 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Sat 27 Jan 2018
at 16:29
Training
Talistryn's expression doesn't change much when Posk pipes up.  If he noticed the comment about the Talikaan nebula, he doesn't react at all.  He had figured that 'Ren and Oz would be the players to beat.  They spent time dealing with businessmen of questionable legality, so a good poker face would be essential to what they did.

He glances at the cards as they're dealt, lifting them up enough to see them, but not bothering to sort them.  His face remains a mask of pleasant mischief as he puts his ante chips in.

Aillithe gathers up her cards with an enthusiasm, fanning them out in front of her face, just below her eyes as she drops her ante into the pot.  The smile itself is hidden by the cards, but it reaches her eyes, which light up as she glances over her hand.

"Talikaan..." She murmurs thoughfully to herself.
Mehren
 player, 18 posts
Sat 7 Apr 2018
at 09:52
Training
Antes are made and cards are exchanged. Ren sees that Aillithe's eyes are easy to read.

"Be careful with your face, kid. It will show the whole table your hand if you let it run wild." She grins at her. "Not a bad lesson for life, either."

Oz nods in agreement.

"Most interactions are more about expression and body language than what you actually say. The more you keep to yourself the less others know, and that always give you an advantage."

Posk's brows furrow in thought before putting his two cents in.

"It's also power. The less you give someone, the less power they have over you."

He's almost sad as he says it. It's obvious his thoughts are in the past. Ren rest one hand on his shoulder as Oz drops a chip in the pot.

"Ten to open."
Talistryn
 GM, 20 posts
 Captain of the Guard
 Royal Weaponmaster
Wed 18 Jul 2018
at 22:40
Training
Aillithe, to everyone's surprise, only matches Oz's bet, rather than raising to the skies.  The light in her eyes hasn't dimmed, though.  She sets her cards down as play moves on from her to Talistryn.

The old soldier ponders a moment, glancing around the table once more.   He fiddles with his chips a moment but keeps to a conservative play and doesn't raise either.

"It all depends on what information you think they already have, I suppose.  Some folks learn things you don't tell 'em.  Sometimes, telling them something can send them in the wrong direction and hide what they shouldn't know."

He smiles into the drink as play moves on and he takes a long drink.