The Road Ahead.   Posted by Fate.Group: archive 1
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 133 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Thu 6 Dec 2018
at 02:34
The Road Ahead
An answering frown and knitted brows met Amelia's grin, "The service here is awful. No one has come to collect the wash or trim my beard!"

The faux mood breaks into a chuckle, "A good night's sleep and my gear is packed and ready for travel. I'm just getting breakfast before its all gone."

He points up to the hill and its mysteries, "That is an interesting place though. Well worth an expedition all on its own."

Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 5 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Thu 13 Dec 2018
at 00:22
The Road Ahead
"I'll make the management aware of your complaints, noble master." Amelia retorted with mock gravity as she finished her work of rousing the man with a slight shove to give the man a little moment now that he was on his feet. Her head turning back to Alessandro as her demon of a steed seemed to give one of the other men a surprise else where and earned an exasperated sigh from the woman.

"He'll probably be fine. Took a look at the Mound? I know a few of the lads had heard enough of the local legends to keep away from that place. Anything interesting?" she asked curiously with an arch of brow, maybe a hint of envy at what she thought was a bit of adventure in the evening... Or something like jealousy over the plunder. Either way, it was well within that little cheerful air she seemed unable to shake loose.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 134 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Thu 13 Dec 2018
at 02:54
The Road Ahead
Alessandro begins an enthusiastic account of his night in the crypts, from its pre-Shattering origins to its woeful but deadly inhabitant. He can't help but feel a bit of satisfaction at the mild envy in her eyes of his good fortune as he digs into one of his pouches and pulls out a figurine of copper and jade. A bird, perhaps a heron, bearing the same ancient script as the ancient tombs. He holds it up to her.

"This is an example of the things I found. There are far more tombs than I could explore in a few hours so I gathered what I could and recorded where I was able. Here...Take it. It's yours" , he gestures magnanimously as he fold the heron into Amelia's hand.
Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 6 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Wed 19 Dec 2018
at 02:48
The Road Ahead
The woman took the offered bauble with a delicate hand despite the gauntlet that protected it. Her brows rising just a little higher as she looked over with the sort of curiosity one expected from a career adventurer. She slipped it with care into her satchel with an easy smile and a curt nod as if this satisfied the jealous and envy of what had to have been an adventure based on her appraisal of the statue.

"I'd rather like to get a look at those notes once you're done throwing it together. Most of the locals swear up and down the place is haunted and warded to the eyeballs."
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 135 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 19 Dec 2018
at 03:27
The Road Ahead
Alessandro chuckles, "Oh...it is. Its got a guardian and a fierce one contained with in it via substantial magical wards. I fought it briefly and it decided to hide and let me go about my business in the tombs."
Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 7 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Sat 22 Dec 2018
at 17:57
The Road Ahead
"Huh, got more bone to you than I gave you credit for, Da Vigo. It'll be an interesting time once we get to the ruins. Sure you didn't let this guardian out though when you managed to slip out? Or are all those wards still intact?" Amelia asked with a gauntlet clad hand rising to scratch at her cheek thoughtfully. The mind of a career soldier and adventurer clearly at work as to what might need to be done or set up to make sure there weren't any problems if that thing were loose from it's prison and duty.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 136 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 23:50
The Road Ahead
Da Vigo shrugs, "It's possible that wards were damaged. I thought it was merely a cave the local Howler tribes used for their shamanic practices. I didn't expect to find the maze of catacombs from before the Shattering in its place, or the guardian."

He nods to the camp disbanding for the day's travels. "It's good that we are moving on. This place is ripe for a future expedition though."
Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 8 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Fri 28 Dec 2018
at 01:25
The Road Ahead
"If we're honest, the fields are lousy with them but most aren't much more than dumping grounds now. That guardian was doing something right though if there was pieces worth claiming there. Either way, we can make a run at it after this trip is done. Books and scrolls are the prize of the day." Amelia replied with a gauntlet clad hand rubbing at her chin now and copper hair catching on the breezes that were kicking up. The concern of the guardian seemingly settled for now to be one more thing to be wary of in case it came seeking vengeance for the desecration of it's home.

"We best get you fed though and the lot of us under way. I'll let Mathias know about what ya found too."
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 137 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Sat 29 Dec 2018
at 03:10
The Road Ahead
"I guarantee it will be worth Matthias' time if he deigns to explore the catacombs" , da Vigo agrees as he turns to his own tasks.

With Marengo under his thighs Alessandro takes his usual position in the procession and turns his attention to the collected notes and artifacts, an awkward but rewarding experience on a moving horse.
Fate
 GM, 51 posts
Wed 2 Jan 2019
at 00:38
The Road Ahead
The road onward, as much as one could consider it such, was little more than the seemingly endless fields of the plains. Scattered ruins, wreckage, and debris giving timeless witness and evidence to long past grandeur and civilization as the caravan trundle on ward. The various adventurers in high spirits or grumbling about the rigors of the road as they suited their disposition with Mathias' voice booming occasionally for one reason or another as the day wore on.

It was by noon that the caravan came to a halt once more though not for what one might imagine was a planned break but the evidence of fresh tracks from several somethings that indicated, perhaps, the tamed pets of the Howler tribes.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 138 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 2 Jan 2019
at 05:47
The Road Ahead
Marengo's halt in concert with the cessation of movement of the expedition brought Alessandro out of his studious reverie. Putting his sketchpad and notes away into the voluminous bag he leans out to see the head of the column in discussion. Curious he rides closer to listen and turns a curious gaze upon the signs of Howler passing.

"What do you know?" , Alessandro asks Matthias and Amelia as he scans the horizons.

Even as he asks he satisfies his own question. To his eyes the barriers of the past are sundered and the ghostly images of things that once were begin to play out as if they were right in front of him.

[Activating Echoes of the Past to observe who and what had passed by on this track previously.

Echoes of the Past           Action
Commit Effort for the scene. Choose a particular time or known
event in the past that occurred at this location and witness it as if
you were present.
]

This message was last edited by the player at 05:54, Wed 02 Jan 2019.

Fate
 GM, 52 posts
Wed 9 Jan 2019
at 01:05
The Road Ahead
Whatever explanation either was sharing, it was drowned out by visions of the recent past. Large beasts bearing the sum-total of the lives of their riders lumbered past. Most were of a decidedly predatory bent with pronounced jaws, forward facing eyes, and muddy, indistinct furs and hides that made it easy to blend into the plains. Their varied limbs powerful and muscled in the way that emphasized explosive force rather than anything more enduring. One or two, however, had the clear cut and jib of a beast of burden. The centers of the community and where those not tied to the warrior's way rode and watched. Regardless, it implied a tribe that was far happier to take than cultivate like some of the more 'docile' groups of howlers and their markings were, at least, passingly familiar at a glance though Alessandro would have to take some time to dissect in his analysis to give a better answer to Amelia and Mathias who, he realized, were both looking at him now.

The latter of whom with an expression that was clearly goading him for an answer.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 140 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 9 Jan 2019
at 03:35
The Road Ahead
Shaking himself free of the vision to meet the expectant eyes of his traveling companions he considered their unspoken questions. Telling would be less effective then showing.

Alessandro points to a bare patch of earth. "It is a Howler tribe on the march."

The ground shivers slightly as the bones of the earth suddenly thrust up from the bare patch. Shapeless stone seems to erode in an unseen wind forming rough, life-sized caricatures of men and animals. A moment later the stone men and animals features become defined in amazing detail. Natural pigments in the stone are coaxed forth to give lifelike hues to the tribesmen and their clothes, to the sharp horn and fangs of their beasts, to the tribal motifs inked across their hides. Fierce warriors look into the distance, women watch the children playing underfoot, old people crouch patiently with withered fingers clutching harnesses. The beasts seem to snap at each other in dominance games while plodding on through the endless grasslands.

All of it caught in a moment of time in a realistic panarama of dozens of tribesmen around a handful of beasts that could easily fool the eye into thinking they are real. The massive statues throw shadows across the company.

"Raiders and robbers. A threat if we are not careful. This is only a handful of those I saw in my vision."

He looks back expectantly back at the experienced Matthias, "I suspect you know more of this tribe?"

[Used Builder of Mountain Peaks Gift to effect the statuary.]

This message was last edited by the player at 03:38, Wed 09 Jan 2019.

Mathias D'Angelo
 NPC, 9 posts
 Gentleman
 Adventurer
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 15:26
The Road Ahead
The Guild Master stroked at his chin as he looked over the diagram with a small hint of something like being impressed even as his mind focused on more immediate and important matters. It was hardly surprising that he had done some research prior to this outing as to do otherwise was folly and it seemed clear enough he had a working relationship with Oriana which only further broadened what information he might have access to.

"The Hatchet Talons. You can see it on the emblem, they take after one of the raptors native to the area. Nastily short tempered and basically only maintaining anything that keeps them going as hunters and raiders. If we can help it, I'd rather avoid getting into it with them. The last time wasn't pretty but like most opportunists they're raiders and don't have the stomach for staying in the thick of it."
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 141 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 16:14
The Road Ahead
"These Hatchet Talons passed five and a half hours ago. A reasonably safe distance if we can avoid this band's outriders. But I don't suggest we dally" ,Alessandro advised as he studied his work. Another gesture and the statues eroded away as if they had never been. No point in leaving more evidence of their own passage then necessary.

"I might have a few tricks I can use if we do 'get into it with them'."
Mathias D'Angelo
 NPC, 10 posts
 Gentleman
 Adventurer
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 16:15
The Road Ahead
"Aye, best to keep us moving at this point else we're going to make a mess of things and fall behind the schedule anyway. I'll have the lads keep an eye out but we're only 2 or 3 more days from the ruins in question if we push it hard." Mathias Concluded with a gesture towards Amelia to start getting everyone in motion. Her demon of a horse seeming to understand well enough as it snorted, pawed at the dirt, and turned to depart before the woman even had a chance to react. Serious still in the moment, she laughed all the same as she caught up with it at a trot and her own voice raised to start passing along the orders.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 142 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 16:44
The Road Ahead
As the convoy moves Alessandro pulls abreast of Amelia. "I think I'll scout around. I'm growing restless."

A few gestures, an invocation, and brilliant silvery wings emanate from Alessandro's shoulders. They flap experimentally as Alessandro tests the magic.

"A bird's eye view could tell us if any of the Hatchet Talons are around."
Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 8 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Tue 22 Jan 2019
at 01:57
The Road Ahead
"If you look, flapping around like that may draw some attention though if they've got spotters worth a damn less you got some of that magic to make you a bit less... apparent." Amelia offered with a look of cheerful exasperation and a gesture of one armored hand towards his wings. It was clear enough she wasn't arguing against the sentiment but pointing out that it may be wise to keep to a certain distance ahead as to not give a giant point of reference for the rest of the caravan. Reasonable enough from the perspectives of career soldier and campaigner which, to be fair, was most of those who had any sort of rank or status among the guild.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 01:57, Tue 22 Jan 2019.

Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 143 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 05:19
The Road Ahead
Alessandro grants Amelia a sheepish grin as he nods in agreement, "That...is a good point."

He peruses the wings with a quizzical tilt of the head. "I think I can fix this."

A snap of the fingers and a dust cloud forms around the wings, dulling their sheen as it plasters the flight surfaces with a light layering of dust.

"There. That should deal with any flash."

He pauses to see if Amelia has any other bits of advice.
Amelia Moretti
 NPC, 9 posts
 Lieutenant
 Feral and indomitable
Thu 24 Jan 2019
at 03:39
The Road Ahead
"Plan on how you're going to signal the rest of us if you spot something? May want to keep fair ways up too. At least out of range of a recurve bow or javelins." Amelia added with a thoughtful glance and a wave of hand as if such were secondary considerations as she finally caught up with her demon of a horse and got a hands on the reins. The animal snapping at her gauntlet clad fingers for a moment before realizing that would probably do more harm to it than. "Past that, I'd probably still try and keep yourself oriented around the caravan as otherwise... Well, I think your sense of distance would get a little skewed up there but I've no flown except one I got thrown from the saddle by this best here."
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 144 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 02:33
The Road Ahead
Alessandro nods. The points were good though she perhaps underestimated what advantages flight could give a man over this terrain. "I can communicate well enough with Matthias or you if I have too. "

"I suppose I should put these wings to good use then. I'll be back shortly."

With those words the spell-created wings flap once and the theurge levitates above his horse. One more and he is soaring high above the expedition, his shadow like that of a malformed hawk upon the waving grasses. The exhiliarting feel of freedom is enough to have Alessandro circle and swoop before rising high into the sky and wing his way down the track of the Howler tribe.
Fate
 GM, 54 posts
Sat 2 Feb 2019
at 16:43
The Road Ahead
Flight was an interesting sensation to Alessandro as he rose into the Heavens as if some emissary of the Creator and saw the flat lands and hills spread out as far as his eyes could see and beyond. Yet it was also a strangely upsetting sensation as those aspects of himself most intimately aligned with the solidity and reliability of the earth turned in his stomach and desired no more than to once more have the very earth beneath his feet once more. Fortunately, that was no more difficult to ignore than the rumbling of the stomach when become only mildly peckish and so the Godbound soared onward.

Mind giving me a perception check of sorts? Say wisdom + Applicable fact and a +2 for the vantage point
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 145 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Sat 2 Feb 2019
at 19:26
The Road Ahead
13:21, Today: Alessandro da Vigo rolled 17 using 1d20+6 ((11)).

Alessandro beat the Wisdom check by 12 points.


Alessandro considered the mild reaction he had to leaving the earth but waves it away. The exhilaration of exercising his sorcerous power was more than enough compensation as he winged his way across the plains. If you could call it 'winging' as the magic constructs disguised as wings barely flapped at all.

Putting away his excitement Alessandro turned to the task at hand. The heights made seeing the dust cloud of a passing train of Howlers or the disturbances in the grass easy enough to spot.
Fate
 GM, 55 posts
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 19:41
The Road Ahead
And it did just that.

The great blooms of dust and trampled grass of one of those trains could be glimpsed perhaps a few hours at most away from the caravan. A hard ride if they aimed to strike but one that was do able if they felt confident enough to halt the march for a time to allow the beasts to recover after the fact. It would take time regardless though and even more as the direction of the dust made it seem as though they were heading away or circling along the old hunting paths.
Alessandro da Vigo
 player, 146 posts
 Amibtious Scion
 Howler Half-breed
Wed 13 Feb 2019
at 00:59
The Road Ahead
Alessandro raised the small device to his eye as he circled even higher to get a good view. An elaborately carved glass and brass tube extended from his eye to pull the image of the moving tribe close. He scans along its length, counting numbers and noting other details as he flies high above. If they were excited about a possible raid it would be obvious in their movements.