Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 27 posts
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 04:50
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Nim, you inspect the main road and the hidden trail that the goblin used to escape. You can tell that at least a dozen goblins have come and gone along the trail, and - more worryingly - you see signs of two larger bodies being dragged away into the forest as well.
Nim Filchbatter
 player, 16 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 10:17
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
“They went this way... a dozen goblins at one time or another...  Dragging two larger bodies.”  His face screws up as he thinks about the captives, “They must have been alive otherwise why take the bodies?  We have to find them.”
Mylde
 player, 12 posts
 Soft tunes and big tusks
 Jubilant wanderlust
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 11:20
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Mylde hands the oxen reins back to the older of the two humans with a bit of an apologetic smile. "I am sorry, they didn't want to listen to me very much." She caught the word "adventure" come out from Nim's mouth and perked up slightly. The news of someone getting dragged off by the goblins was not uplifting, to say the least, and potentially changed the entire situation. Half-heartedly, under her breath, she asks no one in particular. "...You do not think they dragged the riders off to tend to their wounds, right?"


Edit: Phone ate the quotation marks on one of the lines. Fixed spelling.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:29, Fri 01 Dec 2017.

Jacob Richardson
 player, 16 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 12/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 19:41
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Not if they caused them," responded Jacob to Mylde as he walked over to where Nim had found the trail of where Gundren and his guard had been dragged off to. A dozen goblins? He didn't like the odd for the five of them versus a group of that size, but the gnome had a point about trying to save them.

Glancing around at the others, Jacob let out a sigh as he cleans off his knife of the goblin blood before sheathing it. "I get where you are coming from Nim, but they are going to know that we are coming after them once the one who escaped makes it back to his friends."

"And what do we do with the animals and the wagon should we go after them? We can't just leave them here, can we?" He supposed that they could send them ahead, but would the creatures make it to town on their own?

13:40, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 5 using 1d20.  Intelligence check. Trying to remember how far away from town they currently are.
Nim Filchbatter
 player, 17 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Fri 1 Dec 2017
at 19:51
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
“We tie them up... off the track and conceal them.  I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a break from pulling and some food.  If we track the goblins back and it seems like we are going too far we turn around and bring the animals to town.”  He puts hands on hips before scratching his head, “As for surprise,  whether we go now or later they will know we have discovered them.  They also have no reason to believe we follow them.  I’m sure most travelers would beat ofd the raid and continue their travel...  By that logic going right now would give us the best chance of surprise.”
Dungeon Master
 GM, 28 posts
Sat 2 Dec 2017
at 17:33
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Jacob, you recall Gundren's directions and know that you're about an hour out from Phandalin, and it's about noon right now.
Jacob Richardson
 player, 17 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 12/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Sat 2 Dec 2017
at 19:44
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Looking down the road while Nim talked, Jacob wondered just how long the oxen would go on there own before stopping to rest or just eat grass off the side of the road. It didn't matter, he supposed. Nim seemed to want to track down the goblins, so Jacob resigned himself to going hunting and gathered the fallen goblins quivers.

"Well, if we are going to go after them then we had better be quick about it. They have had the pair of them for a day, so if they are still alive they won't be for much longer. I'll scout ahead while you get the animals situated,"
stated Jacob before he began down the trail with arrow already readied.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 29 posts
Sat 2 Dec 2017
at 21:49
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
The oxen have calmed down and are already happily munching on any grass they can reach. You figure they'll be fine.

If you've decided to go down the trail, is it safe to assume that Jacob will be taking the lead?
Jacob Richardson
 player, 20 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 12/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 06:35
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Assuming that the goblins were expecting him, Jacob forgo'd the notion of traveling stealthily through the woods as he attempted to track the cretins that had taken their employer, but he kept his eyes open for anymore of them while he did so. "Hunting goblins. Just like old times," he muttered as he thought back to training with his father. Of course, this was considerably different with more than one person having his back and having to worry about rescuing some individuals, which he supposed just made this a test of his skills. Glancing back, the ranger made sure that someone from the team was following him. Otherwise, this was going to be a whole different kind of test.
00:25, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 13 using 1d20+5.  Perception Check to keep an eye out for goblins in his peripherals.
00:24, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 16 using 1d20+5.  Survival Check to track the goblins.

Edea Sharel
 player, 11 posts
 Half-Elf Monk
 AC 15 HP 9
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 13:44
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Edea moved toward the trail with a sense of strong purpose to rescue those taken against their will.  She had no interest in punishment but strictly one of aiding those who could not aid themselves.

Another 12 Perception check.
Mylde
 player, 14 posts
 Soft tunes and big tusks
 Jubilant wanderlust
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 19:40
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Adventure. The word still rung pleasantly in Mylde's ears, nestling itself somewhere in the back of her head. This was why she wanted to go out of the city in the first place, leaving her comfortable, if not very wealthy life on pause - to find adventure. She took a few steps after the ranger and the monk, a few steps closer to where more creatures would most likely lose lives of their own. Filled with guilt, her eyes landed on the limp body of one of the cut-down goblins and she felt her stomach turn and rise to her throat. The price to pay for an adventure was a high one.

A couple seconds passed before she turned her gaze away. "I... will hide the cart. So no one takes it while we're away", she said, thinking back on the gnome's words. Quickly, she hopped off the trail, giving the fallen goblins a wide berth, picking up branches, kindling and leaves as she went. She laid the branches on top of the cart in a pile, covering them up with the smaller bits of greenery; the entire process was rushed and took no longer than ten minutes, as she did not want to hold the rest of the group back or to get left behind; after all, ten minutes could have been the difference between a live Gundren and a dead Gundren.


20:37, Today: Mylde rolled 23 using 2d20+3, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 12,20.  Stealth or Deception to hide the cart; disadvantage for doing so quickly.
I guess it's 15, not 23. Both my stealth and deception are at +3, so whichever is more appropriate.
Luin Eriol
 player, 7 posts
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 20:17
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Without so much as a word, face stony and set, eyes glinting with purpose, Luin strides into the path after the ranger at a steady pace.
Nim Filchbatter
 player, 19 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 02:32
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Nim follows along his armor clinking slightly as he does his best to keep up.  His typical prattle quickly fades away as he tracks into the woods.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 34 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 16:38
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
With the cart safely hidden away and the oxen happily grazing, the five of you make your way down the goblin path. It's obvious that it was made by creatures smaller than most of you - aside from Nim, you all have to duck under untamed branches and vines as you follow the ragged footpath.

After about twenty minutes, you see the trail start to widen out into a clearing, and you catch a glimpse of a cave mouth - the goblins' home base. You all pause just inside the treeline and get the lay of the land.

The clearing stretches out around ten feet or so before meeting small but fast-flowing stream that flows out of the mouth of the cave. It seems shallow enough to wade through. On the other side of the stream, there's a narrow path of dry land that leads into the cave, but most of the bank is overrun by a thick bramble.

As far as you can tell, there's no sign of movement.

What do you do?
Nim Filchbatter
 player, 20 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 18:43
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
In a voice that is very nearly a whisper, or at least as much a whisper as Nim can ever manage, “Edea, Jacob perhaps you two could scout.  I will cover you with my crossbow.”  He raises the stock to his shoulder as he scans the clearing.



13:41, Today: Nim Filchbatter rolled 20 using 1d20+2.  Peception.
Jacob Richardson
 player, 21 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 12/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 19:33
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Jacob has an arrow aimed at the mouth of the cave as he leaves the treeline and cautiously makes his way forward with his eyes peeled for any signs of a goblin leaving the cave, and if he saw one then he was going to take it out if Nim didn't do it first.
13:19, Today: Secret Roll: Jacob Richardson rolled 11,17 using 1d20+5,1d20+5.  Percpetion and Stealth Check, respectively.
Edea Sharel
 player, 12 posts
 Half-Elf Monk
 AC 15 HP 9
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 15:14
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Edea was not a professional scout, but she'd spent enough time in training to know how to move silently.  She nodded her acquiescence to Nim, and set out low and slow.

Stealth 15
Mylde
 player, 15 posts
 Soft tunes and big tusks
 Jubilant wanderlust
Fri 8 Dec 2017
at 01:34
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Mylde was glad that at least the other girl in the group was not as quick to take up arms as everyone else seemed to be. Not that it was a bad thing to be ready for any instance, but being so apparently eager for a scuffle did not sit right with the half-orc. She glanced down to her side, where in a simple, leather scabbard her long sword was resting, waiting to defend, or draw blood for a just cause. At least that's what she hoped, to never draw it without necessity.

Like everyone else, she tries to stay aware of her surroundings; if nothing else, she had to at least not let herself be caught off-guard, but the stress of it being her first situation like this was making it difficult for her to concentrate.

02:32, Today: Mylde rolled 6 using 1d20+3.  Perception check.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 36 posts
Fri 8 Dec 2017
at 20:25
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Edea and Jacob, you guys cautiously cross the clearing, scanning for any sign of movement. The stream is cold but very shallow, and the sound of it burbling over the stones covers your splashing steps as you wade through. Jacob, once you've reached the other side, you notice a break in the thicket off to your right - peering through, you see a pair of goblins armed with scimitars. They're obviously supposed to be guarding the entrance, but they haven't heard your approach and they're half dozing in the shade of the brambles.

Mylde and Nim, you don't see anything besides your fellow adventurers as they approach the cave mouth. They're about 30 feet away from you.

I'm assuming Luin is with Mylde and Nim for now.
Jacob Richardson
 player, 22 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 12/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 08:40
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
As the goblins came into view, Jacob signaled to the others to come over while keeping his arrow trained on one of the pair. They might be able to pull this off safely if they can take out the two guards and sneak up on the rest of the group. "If the guards are roused by our associates, then we will have to take them out quickly. If I take out one of them, can you get the other," he asked Edea while lining up his shot. He would fire should one of the goblins woke up.
02:38, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 10 using 1d20+5.  Bow Attack vs Goblin should they wake up.
02:39, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 10 using 1d8+3.  Damage with bow. Though I think I missed.

Nim Filchbatter
 player, 21 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 10:34
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
“We're up.” Nim whispers to his companions before crossing the clearing, his armor making a sound reminiscent of a clashing of cymbals.

Stealth with disadvantage for armor 05:29, Today: Nim Filchbatter rolled 3 using 2d20+2, keeping the lowest dice only ((18,1)).
Dungeon Master
 GM, 37 posts
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 19:46
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
As the rest of the group approaches, Nim's clattering armor rouses the two goblins. They wake with a start, their heads whipping back and forth as they try to find the source of the sound. Jacob's arrow flies in with a hiss and a thwip, burying itself in the ground next to one of the goblins, whose ear is notched and ragged. Its eyes lock with Jacob's, and a snarl overtakes its face.

I'm just going to treat Jacob's attack as a surprise round. Initiative for the gerblins was a crit, so they're gonna go.

The goblin with the torn ear lunges towards the party, its eyes set on its attacker. It takes a vicious swing at Jacob, still a little off-balance from his shot, and its scimitar finds a chink in his armor that deals 4 damage.

The other goblin immediately disengages and sprints toward the cave mouth, making it halfway before its turn ends.

Y'all are up. One gerb is in melee with Jacob, the other is within movement range, about halfway between you and the cave mouth. You'll want a 15 to hit.
Mylde
 player, 16 posts
 Soft tunes and big tusks
 Jubilant wanderlust
Sun 10 Dec 2017
at 21:32
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Seeing one of the goblins dashing for the mouth of the cave, Mylde lurches forward as well, her long legs carrying her straight up to the little creature. But her hands, instead of going for her weapons, grab at the goblin as she tries to catch it and lift it off the ground in a grapple. Having just ran splashing through the little brook, the rocks beneath her feet are slippery and at the last moment, she trips up, almost - but not quite - squashing the green-skinned figure beneath her instead.

22:29, Today: Mylde rolled 7 using 1d20+6 ((1)).  Athletics check to Grapple the goblin.
Jacob Richardson
 player, 23 posts
 Human (V) Ranger
 HP 8/12 | AC 14 | PP 13
Mon 11 Dec 2017
at 04:00
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Jacob felt the blade slice through his skin, but he cared about that a lot less than the fact that he had missed his target and one of the guards was now trying to flee. Ignoring the goblin right on him, he skirt around and fired another arrow at the one that was trying to dash inside of the cave, but it completely missed the target.
21:55, Today: Jacob Richardson rolled 8 using 2d20+5, dropping the highest dice only.  Bow Attack vs. Fleeing Goblin. Wouldn't have made it with either of those d20 rolls.
Nim Filchbatter
 player, 22 posts
 Gnome Cleric
 Hp:7/10
Mon 11 Dec 2017
at 08:44
Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Nim raises his crossbow, taking aim on the fleeing goblin before releasing his bolt.  He hurries after it without even paying attention to whether it hits or not.

Crossbow attack: 03:39, Today: Nim Filchbatter rolled 15 using 1d20+4 ((11)).

Damage: 03:43, Today: Nim Filchbatter rolled 5 using 1d8+2 ((3)).