Chapter 1: SAMs Family.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 211 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2018
at 00:16
Introductions
A single rider was not what Piann and the remaining caravanners were expecting. The watch commander mentioned reinforcements would be coming from Daggerford. Surely a single young woman was not all the troops they sent.

They soon had their answer when Bart hailed them with an upraised hand and happy greeting, explaining her intention to follow the militia. Piann quickly explained the Daggerford group had already ridden into the marshes after her husband, his caravan guards, and the lizard men attackers.

Bart thanked her and immediately kicked Athero's flanks, jumping him toward the well marked path beaten by lizard feet, hooves of the caravanners and now the militia's mounts. She rode carefully, but quickly, easily following the twisting path through the mud and muck of the marsh. She was careful to keep Athero as near the middle as possible to avoid a tumble into the murky waters. Only the gods knew what might be lurking in those waters. Snakes, lizards, bugs, leeches, or worse monsters could easily be hiding in the weeds and water.
Narrator
 GM, 224 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2018
at 23:30
Introductions
Janae raised her hand in a fist to stay the group of Daggerford people. She sensed the tension of the inexperienced warriors and didn't want this to immediately go against them.

Lowering her voice she spoke quietly, through the side of her mouth to her riders, "Hold your weapons and spells. Watch our sides and flanks."

Then she uncurled her raised fist into an open hand, raising her other hand still gripping the reins to show she held no weapon. "Greetings. We are from Daggerford seeking a group of lizardmen who attacked a caravan."

A large lizardman stepped up onto the top of the hillock the others were hiding behind, a shield and javelin in either hand. He was very large for his kin, and wore a red baldric over top a red robe that ended at his knees. Shocking to everyone he spoke out in very articulate common with only a slight lisp due to his mouth and long tongue.

"My name isss Redeye. Thessse are warriorsss of my clan. Welcome to the Marssshesss. I can asssure you, none of our clan attacked a caravan. We want nothing but peace with Daggerford." One of Redeye's lizardmen companions jabbered something in their own language to which he nodded and continue. "He sssaysss it wasss likely the Blue Feather Clan as they passssed through sssome time ago in a hurry, carrying items not of the marssshesss."



Initiative Order:
Janae: 23
Jamgretor: 18
Graceella: 16
Kevril: 13
Darnys: 9

17:16, Today: Narrator, for the NPC Janae, rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.
17:19, Today: Narrator, on behalf of Kevril Throwhammer, rolled 13 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.
17:19, Today: Darnys Swordhand rolled 9 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.

Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 2 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2018
at 23:57
Introductions
Gret glanced at Redeye. He wasn't comfortable around Lizardmen, even if they claimed they wanted peace. He sheathed his sword, but still kept his hand on the hilt. He took his hand off his blade, then grabbed his longbow from his shoulder and nocked an arrow.

Initiative roll: 18
Narrator
 GM, 225 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 15:41
Introductions
Redeye's eyes opened wide at Gret's arrow knocking and he raised his shield defensively. Seeing this this Janae whipped her head back. Speaking loudly enough for Redeye, his companions, and anyone nearby to hear she scolded Gret, "What are you doing? He has stepped out in full view of us and you're going to threaten him by knocking an arrow? What of his clan who might be hiding in the swamp on either side of us, or even behind? Stow that arrow boy."

The lizardman stop the mound relaxed. Janae had made the comment about other lizardmen being around them both to let Redeye know she wasn't stupid and to make the rest of her troop look about and pay attention to their surroundings.

She turned back toward Redeye, and shockingly apologized to the creature. "I apologize for this young and impetuous warrior. Could you point us in the direction where we might find this Blue Feather Clan?"

Redeye smiled, a disconcerting turning up of his lizard lips which revealed rows of sharp teeth, then relaxed his guard a bit. "No offenssse taken. We will leave, keep travling forward along thisss path and you ssshould find them. If lizard folk are causssing trouble with humansss, we do not sssupport them. Bessst of luck."

With that the liard man stepped back over the rise, then he and his companions disappeared into the water.
Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 3 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 17:32
Introductions
After being scolded by the commander, Gret felt a little embarrassed. He slung his bow over his shoulder, but still kept his guard up.  He took out his leather canteen, took a drink of his water, and swore to himself that he would pay more attention to details.
Narrator
 GM, 227 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 18:24
Introductions


When the group approached the rise Redeye had just disappeared behind they realized the trail ahead grew far less firm and would likely be impassable with their horses. Janae told them they would need to dismount. "We will just have to trust the beasts to stay about. I do not want to hobble them or tie them up in case something tries to attack them. Let's hope they stay put." With that she drew out her long sword and shrugged her shield down into position and climbed over the rise.

Carefully placing one foot after another they trooped further into the swamp. The lizardfolk left a fairly clear trail, obviously making no attempt to hide their passage after killing all the soldiers who had been trailing them.

The Daggerford folk moved with all stealth, aided by the soft ground which muffled their footfalls. After another half hour or so they came upon a large clearing that was obviously the camp of the lizard men. The area was dominated by a single large tree and a boulder about 20 feet high.

There were five lizard men gathered around a heap of household items that had been dumped on a wall hanging spread out under the tree. The lizard men were examining the objects with intense curiosity; they clearly had no idea what to do with them. A few yards away was another pile of swords, shields, and various pieces of armor.

A sixth lizard man was sitting on top of the large rock. Like the others, he was armed with a shield, a club, and three javelins. He appeared to be on watch, but he was too absorbed in the loot examination to pay much attention to any intruders.

Every member of the group wore blue feathers, either on belt, baldric or head-dress. This was clearly the group that attacked the caravan.

Jamgretor had been leading the group, the best at tracking and his training helped him move almost silently through the marsh. He knew he could knock and fire an arrow before any of the lizardmen knew he was even there...
Narrator
 GM, 241 posts
Sun 11 Mar 2018
at 19:06
Introductions
Darnys moved up beside her half-brother, arrow knocked and ready to fire as soon as he did.

Graceella remained at the back, needing no spell components to create magical darts which would fly unerringly through the air and strike any target she could see.

Kevril prepared his heavy crossbow, the bolt of which was thicker than any of the humanoids arrows. It would be a good thunker when it hit a lizard.

Leane was next to Kevril, bow and arrow readied as well. With not enough room for all four to be at the crest the first duo would have to fire, then charge into the camp, followed by the next two shooting arrows and charging too.

The wizardess could fling her spells from a distance to remain safe as she wore no armor.

Everyone was poised and ready, waiting on Gret to start them off.
Kevril Throwhammer
 player, 5 posts
 Dwarf Warrior
 Wielder of Warhammer
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 17:00
Introductions
Upon seeing the blue feather-clad Lizard men, Kevril adjusted his heavy crossbow to focus on the Lizard man furthest to the left. His blood began to boil at the sight of the fiends rummaging through the loot of the fallen innocents. He awaited Gret's first shot and relished the idea of taking out the first one, ready to enter some melee should it come to that.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:15, Mon 12 Mar 2018.

Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 4 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 21:28
Introductions
Gret looked at the Lizardmen. Images from his childhood flashed through his mind. Him and his parents eating a meal at their table on a cold night... the door knocked off its hinges... Lizardmen coming through the doorway... everything going dark... the sounds of fighting, then silence... Gret scowled and grabbed his bow and knocked an arrow, aiming at the Lizardman on the boulder. He fired.

19 attack 9 damage

This message was last edited by the player at 22:13, Tue 20 Mar 2018.

Kevril Throwhammer
 player, 6 posts
 Dwarf Warrior
 Wielder of Warhammer
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 22:09
Introductions
Upon hearing the twang of Gret's bow letting loose an arrow, Kevril pulled the trigger lever of his heavy crossbow, sending a bolt directly for his intended target. *take that!* The dwarf thought to himself, and immediately began reloading another feather-fletched bolt.

Att 18 Dmg 9

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:54, Mon 12 Mar 2018.

Narrator
 GM, 257 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2018
at 04:37
Introductions
Surprise Round

Gret's arrow flew straight and true, slamming into the lizard man's chest and taking him clear off the rock. Kevril's heavy crossbow clunked forward and launched the thick bolt he had readied. Another lizard cried out in pain as the bolt stabbed into its meaty thigh.

Darnys fired as well, unfortunately the lizard man she aimed for picked exactly that moment to step forward, narrowly avoiding death.

Janae fired her shot, an arrow stabbing straight into the stomach of yet another lizard creature.

Round 1

Their captain dropped her bow and immediately charged into the fray, drawing her longsword as she went. Darnys did the same, following beside the woman and closing with the brutes. Both women's steel found their targets. Janae laid low the same reptile she shot with her bow, Darnys finished off the one Kevril shot with his thick bolt.

Janae rolled 25,5 using 1d20+9,1d8. (bow attack surprise round)
Janae rolled 27,5 using 1d20+8,1d8+3. (sword attack round 1)
Darnys Swordhand rolled 13,7 using 1d20+3,1d8. (miss - bow attack surprise round)
Darnys Swordhand rolled 15,4 using 1d20+4,1d8+3. (sword attack round 1)


Gret and Kevril both get another attack in Round 1. If they fire a bow into combat where their friends are, they must take -4 on the attack (subtrack 4).

Graceella still needs to post her attack for the Surprise Round (which should be a magic missile, roll 1d4+1) and for Round 1 (which should be her second magic missile).

Graceella Huntinghawk
 player, 4 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2018
at 18:06
Introductions
Graceella looked around her, taking in the violent scene.
 She knew what she had to do, no matter what her personal feelings were. Graceella aimed at one of the lizardmen near the front of the battleline and fired her magic missile at him, a look of determination on her face.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:36, Thu 15 Mar 2018.

Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 5 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2018
at 18:26
Introductions
Gret saw that his arrow hit his target. He smiled slightly, knocked another arrow and fired at another Lizard man.

15 attack 7 damage

This message was last edited by the player at 22:14, Tue 20 Mar 2018.

Narrator
 GM, 276 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2018
at 21:18
Introductions
In reply to Kevril Throwhammer (msg # 23):

Kevril spends the entirety of round 2 reloading his crossbow: You draw a heavy crossbow back by turning a small winch. Loading a heavy crossbow is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.
Narrator
 GM, 277 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2018
at 21:36
Introductions
Round 2

Janae and Darnys both attacked their individual lizard men, trying to finish them off. Both of their swords slashed past the defenses of the lizards and laid them low. Killing them.

Jamgretor's bow twanged and he killed yet another of the reptilian beasts. Only one remained standing, the one Graceella's magic missile hit. The pitiful wretch, bleeding from the wound in its chest, threw up its hands, dropped to its knees and gibbered something a language none of them understood.

By the time Kevrill looked up with his crossbow ready, the fight was over. Janae and Darnys stood on either side of the creature wondering what to do. Darnys looked at Janae and asked, "Do we kill it?"

16:24, Today: Darnys Swordhand rolled 18,9 using 1d20+4,1d8+3.
16:24, Today: Narrator, for the NPC Janae, rolled 15,5 using 1d20+8,1d8+3.


What do YOU GUYS thing we should do with the surviving lizard man who has surrendered?
Narrator
 GM, 287 posts
Sun 18 Mar 2018
at 16:42
Introductions
Waiting on the Sam family to post.

Bart rode through the Lizard Marsh, easily following the horse trail the riders left behind.

Entering the marsh was like entering another world. It was thick with lush vegetation. Reeds grew as high as a man on horseback, making long distance viewing impossible. The flat terrain was occasionally broken by a hillock which rose above the reeds.

After about half an hour in the swamp, carrion birds rose from the trail, frightened by her approach. Pushing through some tall weeds, Bart came upon the remains of a fight.

Dead men and horses were sinking into the mud on both sides of the path. Across the path was the dead body of an immense ceratosaur. The livery of the dead men suggested this was the caravan group.

As she stopped and surveyed the bodies, it was immediately apparent the group was attacked by ceratosaurs. Several of the mens' bodies had been partially consumed by the beasts. Most of the weapons the men would have been carrying were missing, and even a few pieces of their armor had been removed and taken.

The Bard tugged the reins and clicked her tongue telling Athero to move forward. After another jaunt through the smelly and strange landscape she came to a hill her horse would not easily cross. Nor did the group she was following take their mounts over, as she saw five horses standing idly and grazing just before the hill.

She left Athero with the other mounts and climbed over the steep rise. She trekked a path which followed the edge of a large hillock on the left. To her right was water as far as the eye could see, and it looked deep. She noticed some movement in the brush uphill and heard human voices. Stealthily Bart approach a tall row of brush which on the other side stood five people, one surrendered lizard man, and several Lizard corpses.

One strong woman stood out and seemed to be in charge. One beautiful elven woman wore no armor. A gruff dwarf was pounding around. Then another human woman was present, speaking to a man who had to have elven blood in his veins to have ears so pointy.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:45, Sun 18 Mar 2018.

Kevril Throwhammer
 player, 7 posts
 Dwarf Warrior
 Wielder of Warhammer
Mon 19 Mar 2018
at 16:53
Introductions
Kevril looked over at his new battle companions, impressed at how quickly they were able to dispatch the scaly foes.

What shall we do now, Janae? he called out to their leader. He thought to himself, * I say kill the lot of them, I've never much liked lizards anyway *

The dwarf was not so focused that he missed the arrival of a stranger, quietly making her way toward the party. They seemed to be eyeballing the group and their surroundings, as if trying to figure out what had just transpired. It was pretty obvious.

And who might YOU be?

This message was last edited by the player at 18:43, Mon 19 Mar 2018.

Narrator
 GM, 291 posts
Mon 19 Mar 2018
at 17:19
Introductions
So the way it would work for Kevril to know Bart was there is Bart tries to move silently, and hide, which Kevril rolls listen and spot checks against

Bart's Hide check was 4
Kevril's Spot check was 5, so he DID notice her.

12:18, Today: Narrator, on behalf of Bart the Bard, rolled 4 using 1d20+3.  Hide.
12:17, Today: Narrator, on behalf of Bart the Bard, rolled 15 using 1d20+3.  Move Silent.
12:16, Today: Narrator, on behalf of Kevril Throwhammer, rolled 5 using 1d20+1.  Spot Check.

Graceella Huntinghawk
 player, 7 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 21:50
Introductions
Graceella looked at the strange woman, confused, though she didn't show it. The dwarven warrior had asked the question  that they had all been thinking. Janae, Who is this? Graceella asked in a low voice, hoping the leader would have an answer. Everyone looked from the stranger to Janae.
Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 6 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 22:11
Introductions
Who is this? Gret wondered. His instinct told him, "stick her with arrows!", but he decided against it and slung his bow over his shoulder.
Janae
Tue 20 Mar 2018
at 23:18
Introductions
"I don't know her. Step out here and be recognized!" the strong woman hollered across the expanse to Bart.
Kevril Throwhammer
 player, 8 posts
 Dwarf Warrior
 Wielder of Warhammer
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 17:30
Introductions
Kevril noted his half-elf counterpart shouldering his bow, but wary of the new arrival Kevril raised his crossbow and took aim at the newcomer.

State your business or suffer the repercussions of your foolishness!

The now-angry dwarf eyed the stranger with contempt awaiting their answer.
Bart the Bard
 player, 2 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2018
at 15:54
Introductions
A beautiful woman stood up from the tall weeds, raising her hands as she stood to full height.

Piercing blue eyes and long Auburn hair lay around her shoulders. She had both a string instrument and a bow slung across her shoulders. Form fitting leather armor, a rapier on one hip and small quiver on the other showed she was prepared.

"Hold your arms please. My name is Bart. I heard of the attack and the man who came, injured, to the gate. I wanted to share in the retaliation so I rode hard from Daggerford to catch up to you."
Jamgretor Gret Swordhand
 player, 7 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 22:20
Introductions
Great looked at the woman standing before them, and said, “You’re a bit late,” gesturing to the reptilian corpses lying on the ground behind them.
Kevril Throwhammer
 player, 9 posts
 Dwarf Warrior
 Wielder of Warhammer
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 16:55
Introductions
Lowering his crossbow, Kevril shouted to the newcomer, Bart, is it? 'Tis a fancy weapon you have there, what was you plannin to do? Sing them to death? Kevril let out a hearty belly laugh.

State your business with the lizard folk and for what reason you would come to the swamp to retaliate! I suggest you do it quickly, we were hoping to fight, and you've not escaped the range of our arrows or the might of our swords and hammers!