2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
Wulfric
 player, 2 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 17:02
2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Despite the past, Wulfric found his current life peaceful and comfortable. He'd often feel a sense of guilt that he was able to experience this when so many of his friends, family and brethren couldn't and when he confided in Ulfrinn about such feelings, the answer he'd always receive is, "It is what it is." So much so that eventually, Wulfric himself began to believe as such. The underlying guilt was still there, but he started to think that maybe this really is just what it is.

Having fled to Xen'drik, Wulf and Ulfrinn met the Tulita people. Although they were suspicious of outsiders, they were kind and helped build a hut for them to live. Despite that, Wulf was ambivalent about interacting with them. He longed for the feeling of community and familial bonds like what he had in Havenglen but he had also learnt of the Tulita people's plight and much preferred seclusion to the possibility of experiencing the same heartache of loss.

His life had grown routine; every so often he'd go hunt for beasts to trade in Stormreach, spend the rest of the day drinking and the night with some promiscuous woman, before returning to the woods the next day. Although his new life was simple and peaceful, he'd still fill with an immense rage and hatred every time he sees and holds his sword. It was a reminder of the bloodshed and atrocities and Wulf couldn't let it go no matter how much Ulfrinn bade him to.

For the most part, other than Ulfrinn, Wulf doesn't have much company from other people. Other than the occasional trip and interactions in Stormreach, he'd have few and limited correspondences with the Drow. But at some point he became hounded by a small Tulita boy, Olou. Every time he went out hunting, the boy would be there pestering him with questions that he didn't want to answer. In the beginning, Wulf tried to make Olou leave by means of intimidation, threats and later plain requests. Unfortunately, the boy was much too curious to comply, so at some point Wulf just started ignoring him. He'd go about his business as if Olou wasn't there and to his surprise, Olou wouldn't hinder his hunting much at all. When they needed to be quiet, Olou made nary a sound and he always seemed to keep up with Wulf somehow. Eventually after ages of pestering, Wulf finally relented and sat the boy down to answer his questions. He'd rarely even talk to Ulfrinn about the past, but somehow, he found it cathartic talking about it with Olou. He didn't tell the boy everything though, he completely glossed over what happened to Havenglen and its people, but even so just talking about the past gave Wulf a sense of relief. After that he started enjoying Olou's company. It was refreshing for Wulf to talk to someone with such a fresh, young and optimistic personality even if it's a little naive.

Now, it was a bright clear day, and Wulfric was up early doing chores after a little bit of training and exercise. He was chopping firewood when the wise old Drow woman, Milliauka, came to visit. She didn't visit that frequently, but it was often enough for Wulf to notice the certain degree of interest she has in Ulfrinn. Though she seemed to have some other reason for this particular visit. Nodding to Ulfrinn, he listens to her request and has a glum expression when she finishes. Now he knows why he hasn't seen the kid recently, and to top it off, he lost his parents... That's something Wulf could relate to quite easily. Replying to the elderly woman, Wulf nods, "Alright... For the kindness your village has shown us, I'll accept your request and escort you through the jungle, though will the village be safe with no warriors left to defend it?" though he says it's to repay their kindness, Ulfrinn just smiles to the side because he knows Wulf himself actually wants to go see Olou.
The GM
 GM, 541 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 07:59
2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
It had to be through the jungle, and not along the coast road that Wulfric took, for the Tulita were forbidden to travel except under bond for service. Wulfric knew that the jungle paths were treacherous, though, without a Tulita to guide one's steps. But the Traveler's Curse notwithstanding, there were still many dangers in the jungles.

Milliauka
Milliauka laid a soft hand on Wulfric's cheek. "Oh, he is a sweet one. This village is no more. Olou is gone and there is no more need for this... place. We go now to a place of conflict, even war. We must discard the mask that we wear over our eyes. The others will disperse and wait, and we will call them when we need them. I believe it is the Time of the Shark, come upon us, and the Tulita are not as one with even themselves. There is a need for haste. Unfortunately I am old, and slow. I do not know if it is fate, or a deeper conspiracy than I can see, but circumstances have come together most inopportunely. And so this old woman must rush." Wulfric was well aware that small turtles had beaten the old woman to the beach. 'Rush' was not a word he would have applied to Milliauka.

Ulfrinn took up what supplies he thought they would need; some food (fish mostly) and water, and he took up his bo-staff, and inspected it carefully.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 14:33, Mon 15 July.

Wulfric
 player, 3 posts
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 09:15
2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulf let Milliauka's hand remain on his cheek for a little while before flinching away and turning his back to her. He had tried to keep his distance, tried to limit his interactions and connections, and yet... why? Why did her touch bring him so much comfort? It saddened him to hear that the village is no more, despite trying not to grow attached. They had helped him and Ulfrinn when they needed it and they had lived as neighbours for a good long while, and now that's over... But at least they would go find Olou now.

Wulf didn't know why, but he felt so compelled to help. He had thought he wanted that calm simple life, away from all the rage and all the fighting and maybe one day be able to let go of his past and then his sword. However, every time he saw that silver blade etched with all the symbols of the Silver Flame, hatred and rage welled up inside and he could feel that darkness inside him wanting to kill, to destroy everything the Silver Flame had built, just like what they had done to him, but somewhere in the back of his mind, his upbringing and his conscience whispered to him that that was wrong. He knew he mustn't give in to that urge no matter how deep it ran. Perhaps he really cared for this village and the Tulita people, or perhaps he just really needed to do some good to offset the darkness; whatever the case, he wanted to help. He had no idea what Milliauka was talking about, he has no knowledge of their beliefs, but she had asked him for help and he wasn't going to turn her down.

Shifting his baldric so the sword sheathe lay at his hip instead of his back, Wulf gets down on one knee, still with his back facing Milliauka. He knows how slow her elderly body can be and so he says, "If you need to rush, it will be faster on my back."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:31, Mon 15 July.

The GM
 GM, 545 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 16:59
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Milliauka
Milliauka chuckled. "He is so... what is the word? 'Gallant.'" She clambered up onto Wulfric's back. She was surprisingly light. "I smell the breeze of northern trees at the nape of your neck. So polite! You have raised your pup very well, Ulfrinn"
Ulfrinn, the Old
"He is not my 'pup.'"
Milliauka
"And strong.'" She chuckled again. "In the time of the shark we ride the wolf. Kohola is not a thing of claw and tooth, but you are, eh, Wulfric?"
Tonk'lata
"This wound will not slow me; I shall accompany you Milliauka and Wulfric, and Ulfrinn. I pledged to die protecting Ali'i."
Milliauka
"Then it is good that none of us here are Ali'i. You shall return to Mokoli alive." She pointed to the thick jungle. "The blood of Tulita will guide us through the jungle. If you did not have a Tulita guide you would quickly find yourself lost."



Jungle Theme Music
Entering the jungle was like pushing through a curtain, and stepping into a darkened theater. Green was the color, all of the greens from a damp dark rot to a vibrant yellow-green on the wings of a butterfly that rose effortlessly from a tree trunk. The moist heat buffeted Wulfric, and he began to sweat. His lithe form took easily to the strange jungle though, bounding over the tangles of tree and vine. Miliauka would sometimes point, and sometimes just say: 'left at this tree,' or 'climb up over,' or 'duck under', in between chuckles. After an hour it crossed Wulfric's mind that this all might seem to be a practical joke. It seemed like they were going in circles. There were no landmarks, and nothing seemed the same, but nothing seemed different. Ulfrinn and Tonk'lata were not as nimble, but they were unladen, and so they all kept pace.

The mosses and plants were sticky and bits of jungle clung to Wulfric as he moved, small clouds of flying insects invisibly harassed his face and neck, and always there was the pressure of the stifling heat. Noise was everywhere: the cries of birds and unseen animals that only stopped when Wulfric sought their source. And there was an ever-present melange of smells. There was mold, and spice, and sweet nectar smells that drifted down from flowers that bloomed forty feet above them, and must have been a foot in diameter. There was a blend of animal smells, predator and prey, but none that gave wulfric pause; too faint to be an immediate threat. They continued on.

Another hour of travel was also the sound of a huge crashing tree. It was either relatively close, or tremendously large. Milliauka patted Wulfric's shoulder, "Wait." There was an odor in the air, and it was the smell of rotten sick, and ordure.
Wulfric
 player, 4 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2019
at 21:19
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric felt just an inkling of pride at Milliauka's praise. At the comment about being Ulfrinn's pup, Wulf was actually about to refute it himself but the old Shifter beat him to it. Wulf still has no idea what Milliauka was talking about with the shark and wolf and claw and tooth, so he just replies with a grunt and then gives Tonk'lata a nod of respect at her insistence in accompanying them. Setting off in the direction that Milliauka pointed, Wulf led the party into the jungle.

Having hunted in the woods so much, moving through the jungle did not prove difficult for Wulf, even with Milliauka on his back. The heat however, was incredibly uncomfortable. His thick, fur-like hair plus the heat and humidity did not make for a good combination. He was drenched in sweat, attracting swarms of insects and bits and pieces of the jungle stuck to him like glue. At some point during their journey, Wulf started breathing more and more heavily, not because of exertion but because of the sheer heat. It made him miserable and irritable and at some point, seemingly walking around in a circle for the twentieth time, Wulf moved with a scowl on his face. He did not voice any complaints however, he was much too prideful for that. He was frustrated and irritated and even after his hearing and sense of smell grew numb due to the constant cacophony of jungle noises and perpetual assault of the mixture of smells, he did not complain. He just followed Milliauka's directions, without question. Why? He couldn't say, but his instincts told him that Milliauka is trustworthy, and he did slightly want to see Olou again.

Another hour in the near-suffocatingly intense heat, the loud crash of a tree resounded through the jungle. Both that sound and the invasive smell of decay broke Wulf's senses out of their inured lull. Stopping at Milliauka's behest, Wulf listens out for anything beyond the ordinary that might indicate what the cause of that crash was. He'd also try and smell for anything identifiable beyond that repugnant stench.

OOC:
Today: Wulfric rolled 11 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 8.  Perception. Damn

This message was last edited by the player at 21:20, Fri 19 July.

The GM
 GM, 550 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 06:05
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Milliauka
Milliauka quietly spoke. "Listen, if it makes gutteral argument with itself, it is a giant. If not, then smell if it is the acrid tang of the lightning bolt then it is the shambler. Else it is the otyugh...".

OOC: Milliauka helps and you get another roll. 17

So, what do you hear or smell?
Wulfric
 player, 5 posts
Sun 21 Jul 2019
at 06:38
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Even with Milliauka's guidance, Wulf couldn't quite tell what the enemy is. He didn't hear anything that resembled a voice. In fact after the loud crash, it seems everything nearby fled and most of the jungle noises fell silent. No calls of birds, no buzzing of insects and for a little while there wasn't even the rustling of leaves. Sniffing the air, Wulf couldn't smell anything lightning-like as Milliauka informed. Only the stench of rot and waste filled Wulf's nose. So if what Milliauka says is true and it's not the giant nor the shambler... Wulf quietly whispers, "Otyugh..."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:00, Tue 23 July.

The GM
 GM, 553 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 22:34
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Ulfrinn, the Old
"Are you..." he sniffed. "sure. If I had my druthers, I sure wish you were wrong. But I don't think you are." He readied his staff. "How do you want to handle this?"
Milliauka
"Not wrong." She dropped down. "Will you have the blessings of the Three? The Whale, the Turtle, and the Dolphin? I could give you the blessing of the Shark, but He will not abide with the others."
Tonk'lata
"But, kahuna, you said the Shark was our foe?!"
Milliauka
"The Shark has desires that are counter to our ways. But all things have their place. Wulfric is a man of tooth and claw; the taste of blood is not foreign to  him, and if we perish here, what means it that we kept to the kinder deities? It is the Time of the Shark, and we must use all of our resources or have nothing to show for our efforts. This young pup will know what best he needs to see us through. I stand ready to give whatever blessing Wulfric will accept."

Wulfric
 player, 7 posts
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 10:28
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric knew that the Otyugh is a dangerous monster and it would leave a bad taste in his mouth to leave it alive. Though with one of his companions injured and the other two elderly, he doesn't want to involve them in the battle. In reply to Ulfrinn, he just says, "I will kill it. I would prefer that none of you partake in this fight, but I cannot stop you if you choose to do so. I just ask that you be careful."

Still lost on the teachings of the Tulita people, Wulf was unsure what to choose when Milliauka offered him the choice of blessings. The Whale, Turtle, Dolphin and Shark... He guesses at what their blessings are and which would be best for him. The blessing of the Turtle is most likely defensive, while the Dolphin is probably cunning or quickness. The Whale and Shark, while both are powerful creatures, the Shark is ferocious while the Whale is patient. Thinking it through, Wulf replies, "If possible I would choose to accept all four blessings. But if not, then I will choose the blessing of the Shark. I do not know the lore of the Tulita people, but I will not run. I will make the first strike and fight, for I am indeed a man of tooth and claw and if the Shark can grant me the power to defeat my enemies and protect those important to me, then that is what I choose."
The GM
 GM, 558 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 06:25
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Milliauka
"'I will choose the blessing of the shark,' you say. 'I will kill it,' you say. Know that this is the road of blood you tread, though I gave you the choice of the Three. Hoʻopōmaikaʻi Mano Dajobas. There is a place, for you , for me, even for the otyugh, in the world. A place and a time. But know that it is far, far better to strike last than to strike first. You could have the blessings of the Three, or of the Shark. May He grant you the power to defeat your enemies."
Ulfrinn, the Old
"Eh. I don't care who strikes first or last, as long as we're alive at the end of it." He twirled his staff, and looked impotently at the forest.
There was another crash as of a tree being shoved out of the way. Hungry! was a wordless shout in Wulfric's mind.
Milliauka
"Remember. It wants to live as much as you do. It is starving, and we are the only food." She paused, then: "And don't lose sight of one another. The Curse is strongest in time of conflict. If we do not see each other it could be days, or even weeks before we find each other again."


A horned and barbed tentacle wrapped around a tree in the distance, then decisively pulled it to the ground.

OOC: You, Ulfrinn, and Tonk'lata have a +1 to hit and +1 to damage from the Blessing of the Shark. You have one round of surprise.
The otyugh is 60' away. If you move too far afield, or out of line of sight of the others you risk the Curse of the Traveler.
Roll initiative, and declare your actions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:07, Wed 07 Aug.

Wulfric
 player, 8 posts
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 13:20
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
"So the Three preaches striking last... Then I suppose I made the correct choice in choosing the Shark. I'm sorry Milliauka, but I cannot agree with you. Those who do not strike first, will not have the chance to strike at all. Just like my village, they preached peace but when war came for them... " Wulf does not finish that sentence. Though he steeled himself, the pain of loss is still clear in his eyes and evident in his voice.

Turning away, he walks to Ulfrinn who has his pack and retrieves a javelin."As for its place in the world... I'm afraid in the world of tooth and claw, the world of predators, only the strong will survive." and with that, Wulf tenses every muscle in his body and raging with bloodshot eyes, he takes a 15ft running start and hurls the javelin expertly towards the Otyugh. It wasn't his sword so the weapon felt somewhat alien, but he was adept enough with it that the javelin still found its mark.

As the Otyugh roars in pain, Wulf draws his sword and takes his combat stance fifteen feet ahead of the group. Without turning to face Milliauka, he tells her, "I do not fear the path of blood, for I have walked this path ever since the war and the Flames razed my village. I may have paused along the way while living here, but I see it is now time I continue along this path. This path which I'll tread until it claims me. That is my place in this world." And with a resolved expression of acceptance, Wulf braces himself for the Otyugh's retaliation.

ooc:
BA: Rage
Move: 15ft
Action: Throw Javelin

Today: Wulfric rolled 14 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 12.  Initiative.
Today: Wulfric rolled 24 using 2d20+7, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 20,17.  Javelin.
Today: Wulfric rolled 7 using 2d6+4 with rolls of 1,2.  Javelin damage

I don't know if surprise grants me advantage for unseen attacker, but in the event that it does, that attack is a crit. If it doesn't then damage is 5.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:52, Tue 06 Aug.

The GM
 GM, 565 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Wed 7 Aug 2019
at 04:51
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Milliauka
"The last one to strike is usually the survivor," she said as she backed away from the splintering tree.
Ot-yug AC: 14 Hp: 114 -11 = 103 - 6 = 97 Attacks (3): 2xTentacle +6 10' 1d8+3 + 1d8 <grapple>, Bite +6 2d8+3 <disease>
Wulfric's javelin struck true; and the sounds from the ambulatory pile of trash and refuse were shocking and disturbing. While it finished pulling the tree down Ulfrinn dashed forward to bash at it with his staff. (6hp)

Tonk'lata rushed at the creature brandishing her blade one-handed; but she was off balance when she swiped at the tentacle.

The Otyugh roared and roared, and stamped into the clearing.



OOC: I judge that while you have surprise; you do not gain advantage. However since your first attack roll was a 20, that will get you the crit. Which sadly only deals 7+3+1 = 11 damage.
Initiative table:
20: Ulfrinn
14: Wulfric
14: Milliauka
 7: Tonk'lata
 6: Otyugh

Wulfric
 player, 9 posts
Wed 7 Aug 2019
at 06:26
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric scoffs at Millauka's words. She may be wise but he cannot and will not agree with what she just said. "The last one to strike is the survivor? Tell that to my village, and its people who were lost in flames." Focused back on the fighting, Wulf charges at the Otyugh. He roars and cleaves the wretched Greatsword down upon the monster, sinking it deep into its flesh. The stench the monster gave off was horrible, but in his determined rage, Wulf will not back down. This monster needed to be put down, or it will destroy some unlucky homestead.


ooc:
Sorry I was a little confusing with my wording. I had rolled for disadvantage because the Javelin was out of comfortable range, so if I don't have advantage, the attack roll was the 17 not the 20. The damage is meant to be a 1d6, but I rolled 2d6 in case of crit so since it's not, the actual damage is just 5.

As for this turn:
Today: Wulfric rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Greatsword
Today: Wulfric rolled 24 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 16.  Greatsword Reckless Advantage.
Today: Wulfric rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 6,1.  Greatsword Damage.
Attacks against me have advantage due to Reckless Attack. I have resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage due to Rage.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:27, Wed 07 Aug.

The GM
 GM, 568 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Wed 7 Aug 2019
at 23:53
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Milliauka
Milliauka made a wry face, and waited for an opportunity to assist; the way the tentacles were thrashing about, she judged it would not be long.
Ulfrinn, the Old
Ulfrinn shifted and immediately barked a curse "Ghaaa! The thing smells disgusting!" He smashed ineffectively with his staff, then backed away.
Ot-yug AC: 14 Hp: (114-5 = 109-6 = 103)-12 = 91-9=82 Attacks (3): 2xTentacle +6 10' 1d8+3 + 1d8 <grapple>, Bite +6 2d8+3 <disease>
The eyestalk waved about high overhead; the three eyes glared at the inhabitants of the clearing. HUNGRY! went the chorus in Wulfric's mind. He struck a blow, and immediately knew exactly what Ulfrinn had meant. The detritus spattered from the creature along with some of what must have been the creatures blood. It glared at Wulfric with it's tendril eyes. Tonk'lata took the opportunity to strike a blow herself, using only her uninjured arm.
All five-hundred pounds of the creature bellowed and shrieked. PAIN! A tentacle went out to attack the two that had struck it.

Wulfric skipped aside, but the other tentacle wrapped around Tonk'lata's extended arm and lifted her bodily from the ground (15hp grappled)

That was Milliauka's signal and she called out a healing spell (+4Hp) on Tonk'lata.



OOC: Okay. Then you only did 5 damage the turn before.
Initiative table:
20: Ulfrinn
14: Wulfric
14: Milliauka
 7: Tonk'lata
 6: Otyugh

Wulfric
 player, 10 posts
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 04:34
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Even through his rage, the thing's stench assaulted Wulf's sensitive nose. Though seeing Tonk'lata in trouble, Wulf slashes into the monster with his silver sword again. This was why he had preferred they stay back. She may be an exceptional fighter but, Tonk'lata is still wounded and now even more so. His respect for her as a warrior grew though, so he attacks with all his might. Wulf knows that the monster is only acting instinctually, trying to survive, and he understands that but it was his job to hunt monsters and this was a monster needing to be hunted. He didn't know why he could hear the monster's voice in his head but he tries to reply back to it, "I'm sorry, but there is no other choice. I have to kill you."

ooc:
Today: Wulfric rolled 23 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 7,15. Greatsword
Today: Wulfric rolled 25 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 17,6.  Greatsword Extra Attack which I forgot to do last round. Oh well.
Today: Wulfric rolled 12 using 2d6+5, with rolls of 4,3.  Greatsword Damage 1st
Today: Wulfric rolled 12 using 2d6+5, with rolls of 4,3.  Greatsword Damage 2nd

Attacks against me have advantage due to Reckless Attack.
I have resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:43, Thu 08 Aug.

The GM
 GM, 569 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 05:46
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Ulfrinn, the Old
The old man attempted to free thge Tulita maid with a sharp wrap of his staff on the tentacle that held her. "Git!" he shouted.
Ot-yug AC: 14 Hp: 82-24 = 58 Attacks (3): 2xTentacle +6 10' 1d8+3 + 1d8 <grapple>, Bite +6 2d8+3 <disease>
The creature disgorged a vile-smelling spray where Wulfric struck it. NO KILL I he heard in his mind.
Tonk'lata struggled against her living bonds. Wulfric noticed that she did so without a grunt or a groan; though the barbs on the tentacles dug deep into her flesh. She could not wriggle free. It smashed her into a nearby tree with a sickening thud (6hp).

The Otyugh's tentacle was suddenly wrapped about Wulfric's waist, his rage maddened mind barely recognizing the barbed hooks gouging into him (14/2=7hp with resistance; and Wulfric is grappled).

Milliauka's redoubled her efforts to heal Tonk'lata (6hp), then shouted a healing word towards Wulfric (5hp).


Initiative table:
20: Ulfrinn
14: Wulfric : 7 damage
14: Milliauka
 7: Tonk'lata: 17 damage
 6: Otyugh: 58 hp

Wulfric
 player, 11 posts
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 07:22
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric doesn't try to break free of the tentacles, instead he strains against it to swing his Greatsword at the monster twice more. Hearing its voice, Wulf supposes that this must've been how most of his prey felt, not wanting to be killed, only this is the first time he's heard the plea. Not that it matters, since Wulf wasn't going to change his mind, the most he'll do is show mercy with a quick death. Just a little bit of concern creeps in the back of Wulf's enraged mind when Tonk'lata was slammed into the tree but the best way to help her was to kill the monster so that's what Wulf does.

ooc:
I am unsure of whether I am just Grappled or if I am also Restrained. If I am indeed Restrained then the correct attack rolls are 14 and 17.
Today: Wulfric rolled 26 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 6,18.  Greatsword
Today: Wulfric rolled 27 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 9,19.  Greatsword
Today: Wulfric rolled 13 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 6,2.  Greatsword Damage
Today: Wulfric rolled 11 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,3.  Greatsword Damage


GM EDIT: yes, you are grappled, and restrained. Your attacks are at Disadvantage. 14 and 17, but both hit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:05, Thu 08 Aug.

The GM
 GM, 571 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 21:52
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Ulfrinn, the Old
Ulfrinn had scrambled up a tree to get a better vantage at helping Tonk'lata free. He was showered by the spray of gore and filth that erupted from Wulfric's second blow. "Augh! I thought they smelled bad on the outside!" He shook the slime from his eyes and wedged the staff between the tentacle and Tonk'lata, then lept down using his whole body as leverage.
Tonk'lata
She forced her way out from the creatures grasp, and clutched at the wounds the barbs had left; her armor was gouged and scored across her shoulders and arm. "... I could not." she said quietly.
Ot-yugh AC: 14 Hp: 58-24=34 Attacks (3): 2xTentacle +6 10' 1d8+3 + 1d8 <grapple>, Bite +6 2d8+3 <disease>
The creature howled from its enormous maw. DO NOT WANT! its mental bellow accompanied the sound, and was not drowned out by it

Wulfric was spun about as the tentacle uncoiled from around him like the string from a child's top. Wulfric landed on a hummock of mosses, well soiled, but without any further harm. (10' away from the otyugh)

The otyugh shifted directions and began a stampede back the way it had come, Dashing as fast as it could (60 ft.) and it's tentagles cleared the way before it and left the detritus in its wake to hamper pursuit.
Milliauka
Milliauka moved as quickly as she could to Tonk'lata. "You did, you did." and then applied her healing arts to the young woman. (9hp)


OOC: the otyugh is retreating and has a 70' lead.


Wulfric : 7 damage
Tonk'lata: 17-9 = 8 damage

Wulfric
 player, 12 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 23:42
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Getting up off the ground, Wulf starts running after the fleeing Otyugh, not wanting to let it escape. Twenty feet in, Wulf remembers Milliauka's warning and stops in his tracks. As much as he wanted to chase his prey, Wulfric would not risk triggering this curse that Milliauka warned him of, so he stood there watching the Otyugh flee desperately through the jungle, felling trees in its wake. He had agreed to help her reunite with Olou after all, and he would stay true to his word. Having ceased his pursuit, Wulf returns to the others, calming down from his rage. Thankfully, Ulfrinn had managed to free Tonk'lata before the monster fled but she is not without wounds and though Milliauka is tending to them, they still look terrible. "Let's rest here for the moment while you recuperate." Wulf suggests, crudely wiping the blood from his sword. Now that the adrenaline has started calming down, Wulf's numbed sense of smell starts to pick up on the monster's lingering stench causing him to cringe and clamp his nose with his fingers. Inspecting himself, he notices the few cuts he received from the monster, but more importantly, he was spattered with the Otyugh's blood, gore and filth and he reeked. Mixed in with his own blood and sweat from the heat and humidity, the resulting stench was something nigh unbearable. "Or perhaps near a river where I could rid myself of this disgusting filth..." he amends in a nasally voice as his fingers continue to clamp his nostrils shut.

Setting down beside them, Wulfric is glad to find both Ulfrinn and Milliauka unharmed. They were elderly so he dreaded to think what a blow from that monster would've done to them... Facing the elderly woman during the moment of rest, Wulfric asks, "Milliauka... Will you tell me of your people's story and why you view the Shark as your enemy? You say that it is better to strike last than to strike first but I daresay the outcome of this fight would not be so favourable had we waited for the Otyugh to make the first attack."
The GM
 GM, 574 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 22:53
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Tonk'lata
 "Thank you, kahuna."  Tonk'lata stood and pointed at a tree covered with a vine with blue fluted flowers. "There should be a pool near." she said. "This way."
Milliauka
Milliauka nodded. "The Traveler's trumpet, good eyes, Tonk'lata. And you paid attention. We can refreshourselfes at the pool. She's right, not far." She started moving along the path in the direction the young woman indicated.
Ulfrinn, the Old
Ulfrinn was shuddering. "I keep thinking what would have happened if that thing had kept hold of the girl, and run off with her. First blow, last blow. What would it matter if you end up in a belly?"
Milliauka
"Indeed, we are fortunate that did not happen.." She gave an undefinable look at Wulfric. They came to the pool, and the old woman sat at the edge while Ulfrinn and Tonk'lata splashed carefully in the coolness provided by the pool.

"In times past the drow followed their separate ways, choosing the spirits that gave them power and magic and without regard to the cost. Kaho Ali'i, the great leader of that time looked about at the squabbling of the people and despaired, for they would not, could not unite. He took his canoe out into the waters, and looked at the land from the sea. He saw the spider and scorpion and the beasts inspiring the strife. Nearby, Turtle swam, and Kaho Ali'i asked the Turtle 'How will your children fare when all is battle and bloodshed?' Turtle replied that her children would hide in the sand, then go to the sea, and grow a great shell. 'But you cannot attack', said he. And Turtle agreed this was so, but bade the man to try to defeat him. Kaho Ali'i smote at Turtle, who pulled in his head, and Kaho saw that the Turtle's shell was of great protection. Turtle swam away and Kaho thought on this.

Then came Dolphin, playing.  'How will your children fare when all is battle and bloodshed?' Dolphin laughed, saying I swim so far so fast and so deep, no foe will catch me. See what you can do.' But Kaho could not strike at the Dolphin who swam so far and so fast and so deep. And Kaho thought on this. Then came another fin; it was Shark. 'How will your children fare when all is battle and bloodshed?' Shark grinned, saying 'I have come for the battle and bloodshed, and when the blood is in the water my children will feast. Come strike at me and I will show you.' And Kaho Ali'i held his hand, and since there was no blood in the water, Shark left, saying 'You hold your hand now, son of man, but you will one day shed blood, and then I shall smell it and return.'

And then a great eye opened in the water. It was Whale.  'How will your children fare when all is battle and bloodshed?' Whale looked upon Kaho Ali'i and replied. 'I watch over them; they are not here where there is bloodshed. I watch until the battle is done. When the songs of war are done we shall rise and sing.' Kaho said 'What if it does not end?' Whale said she was patient. 'What if they come for you?' And Whale dove, nearly tipping the canoe. Kaho began to think on this, but then suddenly Whale lifted the canoe from the waters. Then Kaho Ali'i saw the true greatness of the Whale's size. 'If one comes for me, then I will make splinters of their canoes.' And then Kaho asked 'Why do you not strike at them first, with your strength you could vanquish them all and end the battle?' 'I am not a thing of claw and tooth. My might is greatest when I watch, and I move only when both my time and cause are right.'
Kaho Ali'i returned to his people and told them of his journey, and told them that he would now no longer follow the crawling creatures of the underground, nor the beast of the earth, nor even the birds of the sky, but he would follow the Three.

He united the Tulita thus and gave them purpose; to protect, to live, and to watch. And when Whale gave up his jawbone from the deep, master Tulita artists carved the story of Kaho Ali'i upon it, so that we should never forget.

There was a time when the Shark, called Dajobas, returned.

Long ago, long before the strangers came to our lands, a tribe of Tulita turned to the worship of Dajobas. Embodying the fierce nature of the shark and the urge to destroy and consume all, Dajobas was the answer to their prayers. He quickly claimed a wide following among the more warlike clans of the Tulita. The sahuagin also bowed to his power, and beforelong the shark god claimed all the Razor Coast as his dominion. Bloody ruin ruled the waves and shores for over a decade. The senseless slaughter wiped out whole tribes and entire peoples drowned in their own blood.

Only years later, after countless massacres and wars of attrition, a group of powerful kahuna among the Tulita banded together and called upon older ocean spirits to stop the horror of Dajobas. The Whale, the Dolphin and the Turtle rose against the shark god and cast him so far out to sea he would never harm their people again.

Since then, Dajobas has waited. When the strangers arrived, their massive ships weakened the other spirits of the seas greatly. The newcomers hunt the Whale to near extinction, they chase the Turtle from his beaches, and their enormous fishing nets drown the Dolphin. With the other spirits dwindling, the Time of the Shark returns and with it the dark god Dajobas.

If the spirit of Dajobas wins over the Tulita, then the city of Stormreach will become ours again, but blood will be thick on the walls and many houli will die. I have seen too many of my children perish to wish such a thing on any other."

Wulfric
 player, 13 posts
Mon 19 Aug 2019
at 22:49
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Arriving at the pool, the first thing Wulfric did was submerge himself and start washing himself of all the blood, sweat, rot and waste from his body. Satisfied, Wulfric sat cross-legged beside Milliauka and listened to her story intently. His expression never changed from the slight, natural scowl his face rests with, making it hard to tell what he thought about the whole matter. He was silent for a good while after she finished, contemplative, as though trying to sort through his thoughts and feelings about all of this. Whatever doubt he had that all of this was just myth and folk tales disappeared during the fight with the Otyugh. He definitely felt an effect from the "blessing", making his attacks strike truer and deadlier, but that's not what he was thinking about. No, what was on his mind for the long while after hearing Milliauka's story is whether or not he made the right choice in blessing. The Three, or the Shark...

First thing he thought was that his assumptions were relatively accurate. The Turtle granted protection and the Dolphin granted speed however Wulfric was both tough and fast so these weren't things that he thought mattered much. What truly mattered is more power; the strength to defeat his enemies, to protect people, and both the Whale and the Shark granted it. The only difference then is which of the two Wulf relates to more... Finally breaking the silence Wulf says aloud whilst looking out over the water, "I understand now why you fear and repudiate the Shark so much. I know you hold firm to your beliefs in the Whale for the good of all, and I would hope that you all persist. I know I asked for the Blessing of the Shark, but the death and bloodshed of all is not something I would wish for. That being said, I would be lying if I said I didn't feel more kinship towards the Shark than to the Whale..." Taking his silver Greatsword from his back, he laid it flat across his lap. Placing his hands on the guard and the blade, he scowled and continues, "Every time I see this sword I feel the rage burn in my heart, wanting to tear apart all those responsible for the massacre of my village. If given the chance, I would kill every last one of these Silver Flame zealots, just like what the Shark, what this dark God Dajobas, decrees, and I would be glad for it." Glancing over at Milliauka, Wulfric could tell that she wants to say something but he carries on, "You can scorn me, you can pity me, you're probably so kind that you'd even wish I could be better than this, than my hatred, and move on but... I'm afraid that's not an option for me. This path that I'm on... there's no turning back from this. I won't stop hating the bastards that killed my family, not until they all die by this very blade they used to kill my people with. I'm sorry Milliauka, but like the Whale said; he is not a thing of claw and tooth, but I am, and there's no use trying to pretend I'm not. If the time of the Shark really is to come, I do hope you all keep your senses enough to not kill the innocent, however when it comes to the guilty and the evil... eradicating them would not be such a bad thing."

Finished with voicing his thoughts, Wulf takes his hands off his sword and he flinches a little as though waking from a trance. Quickly securing the Greatsword to the baldric over his back, Wulf dips his head to Milliauka in an apologetic gesture and says, "I... I'm sorry. I don't know why I said all that... I didn't mean to burden you with my problems; I've never even talked about this with Ulfrinn before..."
The GM
 GM, 580 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 23:26
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Ulfrinn, the Old
"Indeed not. "
Milliauka
Milliauka nodded, and nodded again. "So. Know that I will hold firm to my beliefs. I am old; and old in a way that the young races do not know." She produced a shell from her pack. It was very pretty, and larger than one hand. Wulfric had seen such used as a horn or trumpet on occasion. "This is the conch. It has long been the tool of the Ali'i to summon aid, or to warn of invaders. I tell you now the history of the conch. Once, long ago, there was a fisherman who fished upon the far side of the coral reef. There came a day when the reef was too high for his bot, little though it was, to cross over the reef, and thus he could not catch the fish which lay just beyond. The fisherman despaired aloud, and a starfish heard him. 'I will help you.' said the starfish. 'If you but do one thing for me.' That thing was the starfish's request that the fisherman collect the conch shells from the coral, where he wished to sail. Thge fisherman did this and collected three shells from the coral near where he wished to fish. He gave one to his Ali'i one to his child, and one to his kahuna" She held aloft the shell, then played a single gentle note from it. "Later the coral was lower, as the starfish had eaten of the coral and it was passable. and the fisherman was well pleased." She held the shell up for inspection. "But the child of the fisherman was proud of the possesion ad showed it to all the other children. They, as children do, became jealous and wished a conch of their own. The wished to make such sounds as the fisherman's child could from the conch. They swam along the reef, and gathered up the snails and the shells, and no one in the village was worried. But the reef grew shallower and shallower, and the fish that were accustomed to swim along that reef left the area. There was no reef to live along." She put the shell back among her possessions.
"The conch shell feeds upon the young of the starfish. The starfish eats the coral. The coral shelters the fish. Too few snails means too many starfish. Too many starfish means no coral, and thus, no fish. There must be a balance of predator and prey.

There will always be the death of innocent, and of the guilty. Eradicating evil is a much more complicated thing to do, when one embarks upon it. Kill all the snails, and the starfish run rampant."
Ulfrinn, the Old
"There is a difference between justice and vengeance. That said, this is all a bit theoretical. Perhaps we should get the ladies to the city; and the young Olou?"

Wulfric
 player, 14 posts
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 08:14
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric wasn't sure why he had said all that he did and he honestly wasn't expecting any sort of reply. Maybe this had all been brewing beneath that dull, calming routine he'd been living and finally bubbled over after the routine was broken, but all of Milliauka's profound stories and talks of what's to come made Wulf consider his own future and whether or not he was content with living that peaceful but dreadfully uneventful life. He wasn't. Not anymore.

As he listened to Milliauka's story of the conch, Wulf frowned at first not understanding what the story was talking about, but by the end, the frown became a result of his disagreement towards her words. He wanted to argue and reply that there cannot be a negative consequence of having more good people and fewer evil ones, but before he could, Ulfrinn had cut in and urged to leave. Perhaps that was for the best; this was all indeed very theoretical as he said. Getting up to his feet, Wulfric checks himself over to make sure he's thoroughly cleaned himself of all the gunk, sweat and dirt and replies, "You are right Ulfrinn, there is a difference between justice and vengeance, but destroying the Silver Flame achieves both. In any case, let's head off now. The sooner we find Olou the better, right?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:30, Sat 07 Sept.

The GM
 GM, 589 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Wed 2 Oct 2019
at 21:29
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Ulfrinn, the Old
"Personally I found that fleeing the Silver Flame achieved my ends."  He shook himself to get rid of some of the damp; there was no getting rid of all of it. Though the heat was oppressive, the humidity made every droplet linger.
Milliauka
Milliauka clambered onto Wulfric's back so they could once again make good time. "I am a burden you carry; hatred is a burden you need not carry. Think on that." She pointed to a gap in two trees: "Our path lies there."
The 'path' was practically non-existent; one forest creature might have trod this way. The plant life was thick on the ground, and cool on Wulfric's feet. The air was filled with a fantastic array of scents, from the fragrant trumpet blossoms the trees held high aloft, to the pungent fermenting fruit that had fallen to the ground. Even the trees had their own scents; spicy or sweet. The heat made all the flavors more intense, while the humidity made the heat less bearable. There was no longer the odor of sewer-grunge, and just the natural decay of the jungle detritus.

Wulfric parted a wall of vines and the group saw an unusual structure: a strange rock pyramid had been overgrown by one of the sprawling trees. The roots fanned out over the object, but never actually came into contact with the stone.

Tonk'lata
"We don't touch that." she said, indicating the stone.


Wulfric
 player, 16 posts
Fri 4 Oct 2019
at 06:12
Re: 2.0 The Sea is Dangerous, and the Storm Terrible
Wulfric couldn't quite believe that Ulfrinn didn't hold any resentment at all towards the Silver Flame for what they had done but given Milliauka's words, perhaps he was wise for it. Wulfric himself was not. 'A burden huh?' he mused internally. He did not perceive this burning anger, this passionate hatred, as a burden. In fact, it fueled him; it was his motivation, that much was clear now that the fake attempt at a peaceful life had fallen to the wayside. Living against his heart's desire, suppressing his emotions, his anger... Now that was a burden, and it's not one that Wulf wants to carry any longer. He knows that it would be better to move on and look to the future rather than the past, but the only way that would happen is if he lets his rage out and do to the Silver Flame what they did to his people. An eye for an eye or so they say, though this is on a much larger scale. He didn't say anything in reply since he figured Milliauka wouldn't understand. She seemed pretty fixed in her way of thinking and he figured that if she wants to live happily and peacefully, unshackled by rage then who was he to tell her otherwise? She has such a kind soul and Wulf didn't want to change that. She might be able to find peace in forgiveness but Wulf could not. The only true peace he'd get is after he saw his vengeance through.

Back to the matter at hand however, despite all his thoughts on vengeance, that was not the objective here. They were on their way to find Olou and that's what they'll do. Now that they've moved far enough away for the various scents of the forest to be untainted by that disgusting creature, Wulf found the place quite refreshing. Though that didn't last long as the overpowering scents wreaked havoc on his sense of smell and it quickly became numb after getting used to the intensity of it all. It wasn't a bad array of smells by any means, in fact it was quite lovely, but it was far too strong. The heat was also tough to bear but bear it he must. There wasn't anything he could do about it and having Milliauka on his back didn't help matters either but he just had to tough it out and push through it, though he was drenched in sweat already.

Walking through the path and past the vines, Wulfric looked at the pyramid curiously. He wanted to touch it and find out what it was but he heeded Tonk'lata's warning not to. After all if even the plants weren't touching it perhaps it's better if he didn't either. Instead he asks, "What is that? I've never seen something like this before."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:18, Fri 04 Oct.