1: Becalmed in Stormreach.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The GM
 GM, 282 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 02:38
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tap
Tap faced away from the two other occupants and pressed awkwardly at his abdomen. A part of Tap slid out; a drawer of sorts.
"One hundred."  Tap placed the amount on the dressing table and then backed away from Vrina.
Vrina
 "Oh!" she laughed even harder, and it was sweet nectar in the desert. "Ha! Ha! Oh, you are a bold one!" She moved closer, and Tremor could not help but imagine a clawfoot sinuously closing on an unsuspecting gazelle on the Plains. Her dress was silk, decorated with strategically placed disks and crescents. The strategy became clear when she walked towards Tremor. "You would do this? Do you think you can?"

Her heat was palpable, and Tremor identified the very vintage of the wine from the aroma of her lips. "A man, then? Or a brave mouse playing at it?" She parted her lips, and made a passable imitation of a cat's growl.  "Someone will eat you up if you're a mouse." Then she seemed to gather herself, withdrawing somewhat, and Tremor only then realized how close she'd been. The hairs on his arms, legs, even his toes had felt her presence. "And what, brave ser, would be your charge to me of such an impossible task?" She sipped again at her drink, a grape grown on the northern border of the Eldeen Reaches, and no longer obtainable. Her eyes never left his.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 70 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 05:03
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Oh, it was working. Vrina knew and Tremor knew Vrina knew it.

"A simple thing. One favor. A... a favor I ask, what ever it is."
The GM
 GM, 289 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 27 Sep 2018
at 01:13
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Vrina
"Hmm." she said as she turned away. She set the glass down next to the money Tap had placed, but her eyes were on the small round window that looked ofer toward the harbor. Her view was very fine, the almost straight road, and in the distance the sun gleamed off of the water of the bay.
"Do you know much about 'fishing', Tremor? Not much opportunity to fish in the Plains, but I suppose theres plenty in Trolanport. It's a very big activity here." She turned and mimicked casting a line. "From the shore, or the docks you could catch a fish, as long as your arm, say. Those who want bigger catches must get a boat. A large enough boat and you can pull in even the leviathan, and they do. But if you try it with a smaller boat, well. The fish will catch you." She looked Tap up and down, then she was looking into Tremor's eyes once more. "You are going to need a bigger boat."

She crossed the room and then opened the door. "I shall make all the arrangements for the Lassite affair. It will be stunning, and you will be praised. As for your offer... I will watch you, and let you know when... it's big enough."

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 71 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Fri 28 Sep 2018
at 09:16
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor heard the words and put his training to the argument between his heart and head. Insight

02:18, Today: Tremor Enkau Valevine rolled 10 using 2d20+5, keeping the highest dice only with rolls of 5,5.  Insight v Vrina, +1 HP adv

"I was raised a river fisherman. Dappled Carp, Bearded Trout and Angelfish are all I have hooked on a line.

These be deep salty waters, I have heard the weight of these are counted by barrel weight, not ounces as they are in Zilargo.

Often questions are not answered because the answer is feared.

My Thanks and If I can be so bold, the Stormlord thanks you
."

Many days hence Tremor will reflect, look back, replay every detail and tr to put all in perspective.

His conclusion will be that he was just outplayed, and had no doubt that, in part, it had much to do with his own ego.

The day was a like the shooting river rapids on a soarwood board as a chlld, currents that buffeted up and down.

At the exit of the Conch, "What is next Tap?"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:39, Fri 28 Sept 2018.

The GM
 GM, 294 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 28 Sep 2018
at 21:13
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tap
With all the arrangements made and the entertainment secured for the party, they collected Drift and proceeded.
"There is only the food service. And the consul had mentioned a barber? I don't know if you wanted to... Ser." It paused, motionless for a moment. "Ser, I have questions... about what we've seen and done. This did not seem like... like anytime I've ever helped prepare the party." It moved its hands, trying to grasp something invisible. "There is machinery, under this shell. I am now thinking there is further machinery under everything. This is not comforting to me." It had no eyes, and so it was troubling to have Tap look him full in the face, but Tap did. "I believe that woman Vrina frightens me, though she only ignored me. I do not understand why you left, and then came back. I used to think I knew what was going on around me, and now..." Tap turned its head from side to side. "I believe I was not seeing, not understanding. It would be of comfort if you could explain."

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 72 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 09:16
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor looked back at the Conch and wistfully thought that he could see Vrina, somewhere in there looking at him walk away.

"Then let's us try and find this Barber.

Now Tap, it must be a great comfort to know there is machinery under all this
."

Tremor spread his arms wide, his hands open and stretched to include all of Stormreach, if not all Eberron.

"How old are you Tap? How long after you were made did you start to fight in the Last War?

Has there ever been a folk that came into Eberron, fully formed and put tu a purpose from creation?

These questions you ask, the fear you may have, these are all natural to children, to be shepherded through by family, mentors.

I can't imagine that life has prepared you for understanding the machinery you are now aware of.

I believe you when you say the word, what I do not understand is the why.  Why would she cause such a reaction. You are a bit of magic, magic has bound crystal, fiber, metal, stone and K what ever else House Cannith and its Artificers decided to add.

Are you able to read her thoughts? Has House Cannith given you the ability to determine her inner philosophy? Can you detect magical auras? Is Vrina cursed
?"

Tremor paused. Then decided to answer the least interesting question asked by the 'Forged.

"I left and returned because of the machinery you now see. I had to look at the cogs, see what they were made of, see what spin they turned, and what other possible tumblers might be at work.

I saw only one set deeper into the machine, deeper yet, must I dive
."
The GM
 GM, 299 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 01:26
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tap
"I am unsure of my age. I recall only fragments of my early times. There are faces, and I do not have names. There are names, without faces. I do not know Cannith. I do not recall ever fighting. I seem different than other warforged. Many seem content with what they are; what they do. Even Tydameira who wishes to be different, understands enough of what she is to wish it changed." Tap's fingers twitched.
"I do not know what I am. I do not seem entirely like my brethren. And perhaps you are correct; at such an age as a child, one might have fears. Unfounded, even. But such mentoring as is offered here... I am not comfortable with." Tap studied his rough formed fingers.
"Tydameira would desire to have me under her... tutelage. But that is not what I wish to do. Steeljack has stated I would be of use, that I could place myself at the disposal of the guard. But it does not... feel right." Tap stroked his head, gently itching at the dent.

"It is that 'not feeling right' that I call fear. I do not know if it is fear. I only know it is what I feel. Vrina does not like the warforged. And she seems very strong to me. It is as though something very hot is coming to melt my outside and strip out my insides. I know this is not a likely occurrence. I do not even know if it is possible. But it is what I feel in her presence. I know I am made with magic, bone, wood. I am familiar with my metal exterior, and I have a small understanding of my innards. But I do not even understand my own philosophy, let alone those of others."

Tap looked about them as though trying to reconcile what Tremor had said with the perspective they had. "I live, I move. But I have had no purpose. Others have a purpose. Perhaps I have a purpose too, but when I think on that, I feel afraid. Perhaps it is I who is cursed."
Tap reached for where the stolen pouch had been. "Or perhaps it is just that I am distraught over the loss of my personal items. I see Sheela's Stylists there."
Agnot
Sheela's Stylists was a collision of color, sound, and fragrances. The whole front room was given over to the haircutters' stations. Agnot was a very big orc, using a very big knife, doing some very delicate trimming of a nobleman's mustache. The note garnered Tremor the next place in line, but Agnot was unwilling to interrupt his task even for conversation.
Tap
"Thus far, my most comfortable period has been this day with you. I too, wish to 'look at the cogs,' though my understanding is poor."
Agnot
"FINISHED!" Agnot shouted, and the noble practically lept from the chair. "NEXT!" the orc shouted at Tremor.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 73 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 03:29
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor vaults into the chair, "Agnot, I am Tremor.

I warn you, Gnomish Masters of the Shear have tried to tame the tangled, knotty forest you see on my head.

I need you to obey only one rule, do your best, I offer nothing to hinder your craft
."

To Tap, Tremor motions to put their conversation on pause until Agnot is done.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:29, Thu 04 Oct 2018.

The GM
 GM, 300 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 17:45
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Agnot
Agnot narrowed his eyes. "Tame forest? Naw tame forest. Cut is tame forest. No. Agnot sees. Forest has path. Agnot sees path. You schmott guy. You see Agnot. Agnot make you look schmott."  He brandished the blade, which looked very like a meat cleaver to Tremor's eyes. When Tremor failed to flinch Agnot added "You brave. Good. You obey Agnot. Hold schtill." The cleaver was polished on the sides to a mirror-finish and the edge passed through a lock of hair that dangled atop Tremor's forehead.

The orc sniffed the hair, then placed the lock in his mouth, dangling like a forgotten noodle. He sucked. "Tremor's hair needs food, badly." Agnot took up a blue bottle and unstoppered it; dashing several slashed on Tremor's head. The orc's big hands vigorously massaged the liquid into Tremor's hair. It smelled of oils, and spices, and the scent of a forest path after a rain. Then Agnot produced a comb seemingly made from the skeletons of dead fish. And though Tremor had expected a painful tug of war between the orc weaponry and his scalp, the tangled knots surrendered to the orc with barely any resistance. As Agnot worked, the rest of the shops conversations resumed their original volume. Tremor caught snatches of phrases, parts of conversation.
Agnot continued speaking in orcish, just speaking, low and rumbling to an audience he didn't expect an answer from.
When he was done, Agnot held the reflective cleaver in front of Tremor's eyes again.
"You have submitted under Agnot's blade. Now you are better for it. Go and conquer, but know: Your successes are my successes, your conquests are my conquests, and your failures are my failures. Go into the world, and remember who you are. Bring honor and glory to the clan."


Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 74 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 21:41
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Transformation.  Polymorph. The Zil Archmages spoke of its power.

Indeed many a problem and simply been polymorphed into.. more pleasing shapes.
While this is... a lesser form of polymorph, it did have an effect.

Tremor assessed his changes and of all of them, the scents were his fovorite, but that only pushed his gratitude higher, because the craft was exceptional.

It was then that Tremor realized it had been a few moments and oddly he had not spoken.

"You Agnot, are a... There is no direct translation for the Zil word.

You have my thanks, May the Host Bless you with Unending challenges
."

Tremor extends a hand, to shake vigorously.

After leaving the barber, Tremor indicates that the Tailor is next.
The GM
 GM, 303 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sun 7 Oct 2018
at 17:59
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Agnot
Agnot took Tremors arm in the way of the Shadowlands clans. It was the greeting of warriors, and it felt strangely intimate."Fight well, in what way you fight. Triumph, or perish gloriously. Come back in a week. NEXT!" the orc shouted.
Tap
As the pair reunited with Drift and headed to where Tap indicated Havulak Prospecting was located. "There was no charge. Ser, how much orcish do you speak?"
Veri l'Sivius
The sound of running feet brought their eyes around to the direction from which they had come. "Ohhh, ooh, ohh." The man panted, out of breath, though he obviously wanted to speak. Recovering, only slightly, he said "Ser Valevine, I *huh* am so pleased to *heh* have found you." Here he paused again for a moment of hyperventilation. "Mistress *huh* ... My pardon sir, I have but run all this way, and some further ways, as I did not know precisely where you had gone...." Tremor was recalling something something Master Lazarumbear had said about people who had the capability of speaking without saying. "*Hah* she bade me give you this missive."

Missive:
Tremor Enkau Valevine:
Meet with me at six bells tonight, at the Onyx Fountain. I will wait at the sign of the rose. I have a proposition for you which will benefit us both. Two minutes are all I ask. Take precautions to come alone, for the instructions I shall give you are for you only. If you show yourself capable with this, then I will accept your proffer. Succeed, and then I will gift you a favor for an answer.
V.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 75 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Mon 8 Oct 2018
at 11:24
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach



The culture of the Marchers is mostly a mystery to Tremor. Certain things were known, the Dragonmark of Finding, the exclusion from the grand laws of Galifar.

Tremor was... surprised by the earnestness, the sincerity of Agnot.


Agnot
Agnot took Tremors arm in the way of the Shadowlands clans. It was the greeting of warriors, and it felt strangely intimate."Fight well, in what way you fight. Triumph, or perish gloriously. Come back in a week. NEXT!" the orc shouted.


"One week. ." The answer seemed inadequate to match what had been shown. It caught tremor off guard, a simple agreement, acceptance, no pretense, no posturing, what little tremor knew of marchers, let alone Barbers, it seemed the respectful thing to do. Still it lacked what the Bear had called reciprocal aspect. Yet, it seemed greater than a return to a barber chair, it seemed more familial.

Tap
As the pair reunited with Drift and headed to where Tap indicated Havulak Prospecting was located. "There was no charge. Ser, how much Orcish do you speak?"


Tremor called Drift and played with the pup and gave the dog some well deserved pats for being patient.

"Beyond the phrases, 'I am not a snack,' 'I only drink wine, it's a religious obligation,' and 'How poisonous is that??' I know the words for the number one and five.

Tap do you know the Orcish language, or anyone who might start me on the path to learning it
?"

Veri l'Sivius
The sound of running feet brought their eyes around to the direction from which they had come. "Ohhh, ooh, ohh." The man panted, out of breath, though he obviously wanted to speak. Recovering, only slightly, he said "Ser Valevine, I *huh* am so pleased to *heh* have found you." Here he paused again for a moment of hyperventilation. "Mistress *huh* ... My pardon sir, I have but run all this way, and some further ways, as I did not know precisely where you had gone...." Tremor was recalling something something Master Lazarumbear had said about people who had the capability of speaking without saying. "*Hah* she bade me give you this missive."

Missive:
Tremor Enkau Valevine:
Meet with me at six bells tonight, at the Onyx Fountain. I will wait at the sign of the rose. I have a proposition for you which will benefit us both. Two minutes are all I ask. Take precautions to come alone, for the instructions I shall give you are for you only. If you show yourself capable with this, then I will accept your proffer. Succeed, and then I will gift you a favor for an answer.
V.


Tremor thinks while signalling the man should take time to slow his breathing and allow his heart to return to a restful state.

Once the attention returns and focused on the answer.

"Tell the sender that I have an irrevocable obligation.

However, when the toll is ten, we tryst
."

Looking the man straight in the eyes to confirm his comprehension, Tremor makes an offer of his hand and tucks the missive away in his own pocket.

After they part, and continue on to the tailor, Tremor adds on the request of tap to show him the Onyx Fountain, in preparation, but after the tailor has had his time.
The GM
 GM, 307 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 05:16
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Veri l'Sivius
"Wh-- ten!? But thats' not-- But ser! This is... this is she! She who must be obeyed. Please... Please! You cannot send me back with anything but a 'yes'." His eyes and face showed such distress that Tremor almost felt something.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 76 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 06:13
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach

"Pull your self together.

You will receive no beating, you will suffer no scorn.

For you found me, delivered the missive, knew the truth when you heard it, pleaded the case and exhausted all linguistic wiles to convince me.

Back you must go. Be direct, make no evasion. Communicate how resolute the answer was
."
The GM
 GM, 311 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 23:58
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Veri l'Sivius
The force of Tremor's personality checked the man's protests, at the expense of worried squeaks and splutterings.  "No beatings... The truth.... resolute, no evasion." He exchanged the gasping of exertion with the hyperventilating of anxiety.  "'The toll is ten'." He nodded, all speech now gone and ran off to deliver his unwelcome answer to his mistress.  "Ohhh, ooh, ohh."
Tap
"I presently understand some of Agnot's tongue, not all. The tenor of his words leads me to believe that you are now part of his clan, having submitted under his blade; surrendering a lock of your hair as a trophy. Agnot's definition of 'conquest' seems figurative to the others at Sheela's, including gaming, trysts, and political achievements. His understanding seems to be that any successes you achieve, now that he has claimed you, are also attributable to his prowess. In a week Agnot expects you back in the chair to report on your achievements...
Tap paused, considering. "and a trim."
Tap pointed out the location of the Onyx Fountain, the entrance to the various artistic venues and craft rooms demarcated by the glossy black dragon water sculpture in front.  Across a busy plaza with small carts and shops offering goods that theater-goers might desire, the Livewood Theater perched like a tamed forest. The theater was an open amphitheater, lined with trees that had been trained or coerced to grow in such fashion that they formed the walls and seats and roof.

"There is the Onyx fountain, and there is the theater. The tailor Lady Rusila mentioned is behind Havulak Prospecting, which is on the far side of the Marketplace, in Greystone. Mogden Vilmingwarthy is an unusual name. I cannot place the nationality."

On the way through the Marketplace, the pair were able to finish the arrangements for the food deliveries from a high end seafood restaurant and another that specialized in Continental cuisine. The sounds and smells of the Tharashk refinery became overwhelming when they entered the Graystone corridor that separated the market area from the harbor. A smokey pall hung over the area. Havulak Prospecting came into view, and Tremor, glancing in, spied a pair of tall wading boots. He realized that this shop would likely have the various sundries that would be needed if one were to delve into the sewers below the city.

Tap
"I am unsure how to proceed, ser. I do not see any 'behind' to this store."

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 77 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 12:55
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
At the fountain, Tremor began his search for a few things.

Where might be the sign of the rose that Vrina would likely be to wait. Where might be a good place to secret one self to watch the fountain and its surrounds, if one wanted to place men, footpads, where might they hide themselves, and the same for an archer or lookouts, up high, some elevation that would provide cover and view.

Then an assessment of the available things taken for granted. Where rain barrels might be, crates, an off laden cart or wagon. How to plan an escape, what may be a climb that could provide some cover and yet, not be the first or second easiest to identify as an escape from the street. Perception

Tremor nods and thinks as Tap speaks. The vendors and the ordering of food was a good way to ask questions and survey. Ask about the  area, the Livewood theatre, what shops stayed open late, ask about patrols of Guards, any interesting features or stories concerning the fountain. Investigation

"It is a mystery. Is there no solution? Is it possible we were lied to, to confound us?

Come, we will see what there is to purchase in Havulak Prospecting
."

A bit of mischief crept into the tone of the Halflings voice, his smile seemed a bit crook'd from normal.

Once is inside Havulak Prospecting, will begin looking for all the protection one might need for a watery... muddy... a unsanitary meadow of... only the Mockery knew what.

Then it came time to probe to see if this tailor had a quiet location for his craft and to generate the entry to it through Havulak Prospecting. Deception

05:57, Today: Tremor Enkau Valevine rolled 22,16,18 using d20+5,d20+7,d20+5 with rolls of 17,9,13.
Perception  +5, 22
Investigation +7, 16
Deception +5, 18

This message was last edited by the player at 12:59, Mon 15 Oct 2018.

The GM
 GM, 318 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 19:45
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
At the Onyx Fountain Tremor noticed:

A large open air plaza surrounds the fountain which is located between the entrance to 'Onyx' proper and the Livewood Theater. The cluster of performance spaces and studios which was House Phiarlan's training areas are accessed through a gate on the north-western side of the plaza.

On the eastern side the Livewood Theater dominates the view. The theater is technically open air, but this is only due to the fact that the theater itself is constructed from a copse of growing livewood trees. The walls are close-ranked trunks, and the 'roof' is loosely woven branches.

Nothing immediate that suggested a rose, or indeed any other flower, but on investigation he found that there were frequently flower sellers who provided their wares to theater-goers at or before the showtimes. Roses being a popular favorite, a rose seller might be present in the plaza this evening. There were also a smattering of shops that opened late to cater to rich patrons or theater-goers who attended in the evening. A few were food or snack stores, some light, open air drinking establishments. There was also an umbrella store. All of these specified an opening time of after five.

Additionally Tremor is informed of the "Lothar" controversy. Globach and Lothar is generally cast with a halfling as Lothar. The current production has plans to use a human transformed with magic in the role, and this has inflamed certain tempers in the community.

There is little at the moment in the plaza that would provide cover save the fountain itself; the black stone carved into the shape of a 18 foot high black dragon, sans wings. The wings are provided by the water jets and some shaping magic. A stone bench surrounds the dragon.

The livewood theater offers a multitude of possibilities, for observing the plaza, but the branches weave too closely to attempt a free viewing of the theater interior.
OOC: advantage to find a hiding spot, but disadvantage to not be notice when there.

The Onyx areas would be more challenging as some of the facades of the buildings there are in fact 'facades'; illusory, and offering no physical perch to hide upon.

OOC: disadvantage to find a hiding spot, but advantage to not be notice when there.


The remaining wall were in poor repair; plenty of hiding places at ground level, but the condition of the walls an roofs preclude safe or easy positioning of ... less skilled ... operatives.

A rumor Tremor overheard is that not every performance in the Onyx is actually theater; that some savvy conspirators conduct their business in such a way that their illicit conversations can be held in full view of an audience, and no-one is the wiser.

That reminded Tremor of the first time he heard Alston Scheppen Maelogilden Lazarumbear say the words "I don't know." When the context was such that only Tremor knew what he meant, and the remaining class remained ignorant.

The perimeter of the plaza was largely unguarded, though City Guard patrols did occasionally stroll through, no one really expected they would act on the behalf of any but the wealthy theater patrons. Barrels and boxes and large chunks of stonework were present, but not prevalent around the plaza, all cleared away from the central portion (to keep the dragon pristine). The ground was cobbled, and some of the area had suffered subsidence, so it could be uneven.
Tap
"Lied to? To what purpose?" But Tap followed Tremor into the prospecting shop. The bulk of the shop was taken up with rows of shelving that held material goods that even a novice would associate with adventurous excursions into the jungles. There were boots, gloves, and outerwear, as well as several dozens of hats. Spaced in and around these were items that could be decoration as they evoked the feelings of the exotic and adventurous. There was a dessicated humanoid dressed in wildly colorful Tulita garb near the entrance. There were several statuettes perched up high on shelves place for that purpose. the Lighting had a simple spell on it making the whole appear to be under a gently moving canopy of leaves. There were also bags, packs and specialized climbing gear. Ropes were coiled together, and sets of spikes (some were quite elaborate). There were walking staffs of a multitude of lengths. There were tents and canvasses, and mounted on one wall a set of paddles. There was fishing gear, and pots and pans that were suitable for use during travel or on the road. Tremor noted that scattered amongst these items were other things that were also useful. One box near the selection of boots contained what he was certain were some of Quall's feather tokens, and one haversack hanging in the selection seemed to be dripping water into a pail placed for just the purpose of catching the drops. There, Tremor spied Elminster Harlian, whom he had only a passing acquaintance with. He took up the pail, and replaced it with an empty one.
Elminster Harlian
"Oh! Hello! Tremor, was it? Did you find a place for yourself, then?"

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 78 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Fri 19 Oct 2018
at 10:03
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor now had a place for the name. A hand reaches out for the greeting.

"Elminster, good to see you.


After a fashion. Molou's Distillery is where I have planted my acorn.
This is Tap, my fellow at Molou's
. "

Pointing to the full bucket the elderly Gnome now held.

"Can I take that... where would you like me to put it?"

Tremor will ask about the Gnomes health and stories and strike up conversation and for his part mention that he heard about Dragonsmoke, confess' that it is unknown to him, talk about meeting Steeljack, just the location, finding the honey-cake bakery.

After all the pleasantries will Tremor mention that he had been given to understand there was a highly skilled tailor in this part of Stormreach, whose location has eluded him.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:04, Fri 19 Oct 2018.

The GM
 GM, 324 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Fri 19 Oct 2018
at 23:55
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Elminster Harlian
Harlian spoke with a northern Zil patois. "Take?" He looked at the pail. "No, no." The gnome dumped the contents out the door onto the cobbles. Then shook Tremor's hand. "Molous' Distillery? Good, good. Thriving business. None for me. The expeditions have all but stopped, and no one wants the trinkets from a lost age anymore. Well, no one with any money. The Blackwheel Company waits for a hint of success and the 'whoosh'" his hands mimicked a bird snatching up prey.  "Molous' has good business, everyone drinks. Plain folk drink the kuryeva. Rich folk drink the fine quryeva liquor, the poor drink the dregs. Molou makes the coin." He tut-tutted.  "The dragonsmoke, that's a strange thing. The Tulita, they find the leaves of a plant. The Tulita say is is a holy thing, for their kahuna and seers. Prophecy. Many people have tried to find out what, but that, among other things, the drow will not say. So there is another reason the Lords get angry with them.  I know that others do use it. Mostly it makes a person sleep. Sometimes they do not wake."
Tap was looking at the pouches and bags near the leaky haversack. "I greet you, Tap."
Tap
"I greet you, Elminster Harlian. These pouches, they are larger on the inside."
Elminster Harlian
Harlian nodded "Aye. It is too difficult to get the Cannith manufactured. These are rejects, off stock. No one wants to buy a pouch when they can have a whole haversack. And no one wants a haversack with a hole to an unending water. So I have the pouches, and I have the haversack. But a good expedition could be assembled. I do not have the money, but if I did, I would set myself up well with what is here. We had a folding-boat, but it is sold. Still, with a careful selection you could go almost anywhere in Xen'drik in fair comfort." he shrugged.

When Tremor mentioned Steeljack Harlian shrugged again. "I do not have much to do with either the city guard, or the Iron Guard. Perhaps if there was more business, they would want more from me. As it is, the owner says we may have to close soon. I have not had enough coin some days for bread, let alone cake. At least I have a roof over my head, for now."

Harlian grinned wryly at the word 'tailor'. "And there it is. No one comes here, but to go on to Mogden's. In the back, just there past the cleansing stones you see a curtain of beads? I caution you, they are ..." His mouth worked a bit. "They can be rude."

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 79 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Sun 21 Oct 2018
at 10:09
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"So.. a bit more than passing knowledge when it comes to the Tulita.

The Drow have Prophecy as well, I should not be surprised. It seems Dragons favor communication by Prophecy, Eberron especially.

I have not entered your shop for only the sartorial skills of Mogden.

There are some items I saw in the display, boots and other... equipment I require and advice. I am headed for swampy and noxious gaseous locations. What would you advise? I need to seal my skin fro leeches, water of.. bilious odors and blights of the darkest kind. Also, poisonous creatures of all varieties, what have you that I may have some preventative measure
?"

Tremor will take some time to collect what prophylactics are available, offered, and mix in questions about the Blackwheel Company, the name of the owner and a question about the bead curtain, is it Animate?.

All these things will come to a price, a price that occurs before a true price can be determined. Tremor will assess Elminster and thee expectation for haggle.
(I assume Persuasion is the Haggle skill)

"I have Mogden to visit, then I have preparations to make and return to the Distillery. I would like to return later and bring the coin for these later, is that possible?"

After finishing his interests with Elminster, Tremor begins to recall many of the licentious and downright blasphemous jokes and tales told by sailors and denizens of the promiscuous trades. Then trying to alter what he recalled to substitute beads for the object of the joke.

Then will Tremor go to find and speak with Mogden and engage hs service.

03:42, Today: Tremor Enkau Valevine rolled 12 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 7.  Persuasion +5 Elminster info, haggle .

This message was last edited by the player at 10:44, Sun 21 Oct 2018.

The GM
 GM, 331 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sun 28 Oct 2018
at 07:33
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Elminster Harlian
Harlian's eye sparkled when Tremor mentioned the Prophecy "Ahhh. The Draconic Prophecy: you know, it's just called that. It's really a matrix of potentials.

So, so... swampy, and noxious, hmm? Leeches. Leeches, blights and poison? But.. but... you're a tenderfoot, and unless your first trip is going to be three hundred miles, your swamp is nearby. But there are no swamps nearby, only ... sewers? A venture into the underbelly of the city eh? Sewer diving for treasures? Say no more. I -- I am a professional. You, you, place your faith in me. We'll not say 'trust' eh? No, no. There is no trust here. But give me a moment. Head to toe protection, mmm? Cleansing stones, of course. Sleeping arrangements, of course. A standard tent won't do though. Do...Dooo. Odor is an issue. Poisons. Poisons.... Poison and venoms. Not the same, you know.... not the same."
He indicated a wooden box hinged and exquisitely carved. Opening the lid Tremor saw four rows of small stoppered bottles. The bottle set was incomplete, there were three bottles missing. "This is the kit for you, unless you meet a centipedes, angry Tulita or a purple worm. Well, well, if you meet a purple worm, you probably have other problems, hmm? Now... now. The conditions are hmmm not sanitary. You must keep your supplies free of contamination, and yourself eh? Disease is tricky, tricky. I had a Jorasco charm, sadly no more." He'd assembled a large selection of clothing, boots, a comfortable cot, and sundries.
Tap
"That is a very large amount of things. I really need a new pouch."
Elminster Harlian
Harlian nodded "Aye. Pouches, pouches. If that haversack didn't leak... well, though it would not matter in the sewers, and clean water, it could do... could do, Up to you, Ser..."

The tally was as sizeable as the pile, and Tremor had to admit the prices were reasonable. It was just that it was a whole expedition.
"But, but! The thing that you need, really need... Is a map! Now, I don't have one here, but I know just the gentleman to speak with. Come back tomorrow evening. I'll have the goods wrapped, and, and, perhaps more. Well settle up then. I must say, must say, this sale is going to help me tremendously." He touched his finger alongside his nose.

The mention of trust was not lost on Tremor, and the phrase 'There is no trust here' was one that could get a person into a terrible amount of trouble in Zilargo.

Behind the bead curtain was a tall podium, and up about six feet two reptile eyes glared down. "Yessss?"

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 80 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Sun 28 Oct 2018
at 09:41
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
To see the wheels, the mind at work, drawing on intellect, jumping from the abstract to the specific, it is a joy to watch.  Tremor could not remain stone faced or even feign disaffection, Elminster had put it together, his reward in part is the honest recognition from another puzzle solver.

"Just keep in mind I am one Halfling, not a myth* of my kind.

Evening next, I will return, there may be drink, so have two cups ready
."

Tremor will thank Elminster then turn to find the beads.



"Good evening. I seek a Tailor extraordinaire.

Lady Rusila ir’Clarn has assured me, no greater confidence does she have in any craftsman than in Mogden Vilmingwarthy.

I am told this is where he is found. Am I rightly informed
?"



* Myth is the name for a group of Halflings <a href=http://grammar.yourdictionary....nimals.html>Names for Groups of Animals</a>
The GM
 GM, 335 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sat 3 Nov 2018
at 19:29
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Mog
The eyes belonged to a kobold perched absurdly high behind the podium. The interior of the store was walled with clothing racks; unfinished suits ready to be fitted.

The kobold had an ornate hat on, and Tremor recognised the styling as the same as some of the hats on display in the 'Prospector's'. A single feather was on it, a feather so large it nearly dwarfed the hat, which itself seemed large for the kobold. Not oversize, just... big.

"The Lady sends you? You have proof?" The kobold looked at the note. "Phhht. I am Mog. That..." the kobold pointed at another kobold "... is Den." It peered at Tremor.  "You arrrre very short!."
Den
Den was already eyeing Tremor's clothing, extending a clawed forefinger and thumb to pluck disdainfully at Tremor's well-worn outfit. "Tsk-tsk." Den cocked its head to one side. "This would not do for anyone. What is the occasion?" Den had a smaller, plainer hat on, its feather more in concert with the hat and wearer.
Vil
Another kobold came forward bearing measuring tapes that helpfully held themselves in place as the kobold reached about Tremor's waist. "I am Vil. You need a working suit, certainly. You will be needing formal wear. And since it is the Lady, I expect something special."
Mog
"There will be no dissscount, even though you are short." Mog said, as he dismounted the lectern.
Den
"Very short." Den agreed.
Vil

"Eh. Taller than his toes, shorter than his hair."
Vil stated. His hat was plainer still. "I think this one is a 'dancer.'"
Ming
"The Lady sends a danccccer? And are you surprised?" said another voice from the back of the store.  This kobold wore only a simple hood. "How do you dress?" he asked.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:00, Tue 06 Nov 2018.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 81 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Sun 4 Nov 2018
at 08:45
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach


Ah, concatenation of names, how interesting. The order by hat? The first has the largest most ornate, and speaks in terms of coin, the next least, comments then the next last measures, then asks the direct question.

One maybe two left for the full name.



"I dress for the occasion, a Storm Lord party, for which I am neither guest nor operative.

Color, though not riotous. I prefer what Zil would call conservative, restrained, yet I find myself drawn to certain Brelish influences in cut.

I am as my Father, Mother and Eberron made me, I conceal none of my shortcomings, and I need not flatter any other expectations.

By temperament I go unshod, for social graces, I allow for a boot
."

Tremor turns to address the emerging voice.

"As to how... for that I am at the mercy of my tailor's skill and imagination."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:19, Sun 04 Nov 2018.

The GM
 GM, 340 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 06:35
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Ming
Ming smiled, and an unpleasant number of sharp teeth were revealed thereby. "Mercy? There iss precious little of that commodity here..." he said. The kobold gestured to the bolts of cloth, and nodded agreement with Tremor's selections. "The red isss very good. The dye iss made from the shells of carnivorouss beetles that only thrrive in these jungles. We have made several red shirts for sailors, and the guards. But the jacket will be even better."
Vil
Vil presented a glistening blue tie to compare the color, and Ming nodded. Tremor noticed that Vil wore gloves, with only the fingertips showing. "Leave the concealing to usss." he said with a cavalier tone.
Mog
"Verrry interesting." Mog said, having gotten on all fours to peer at the halfling's feet. He took measurements on a slate, poking and prodding Tremors toes. "A difficult problem, frrom a foot-ware perrsspective. Dancing?"
Ming
"Of a certainty" he replied.
Den
"The hat is very good." Den said, when Tremor had made his selection. Then the kobold set about measuring the circumference of his head with a curious device that seemed reminiscent of certain fearsome devices held by the Trust.
Ming
Once the measurments had been made (and Tremor was still unsure that all of those measurements were truly needful) the one called Ming addressed him once again. "Return in two days. Speak to no one of this."