1: Becalmed in Stormreach.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 93 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 06:49
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"This Transmutation is a fairly simple one, a few replacement pieces of cloth and what seems to be a claim upon my person by a tribe of Orc, by shear and some part of submission I played, its all _very unclear.

Though I am still listed on the playbill as a wage hand, I will also be paying the part of the simple Halfling who needs to enjoy song with the adventurous, marvelous friend made just this very day.

Come, come... we will enter the Livewood and let the elements play as they will, be it light blessing or tempest.

And yes, I have attended a comedy put on by Phairlan, I thought it subversive, an undertone of political play, but then, I hear that sort of thing is popular with the Brelish.

What I need is advice, from a citizen of Stormreach, a friend, do you know of any places of quiet in the city, where one could go to find peace?

And yes, I do not include the temples of the Sovereign Host
.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:16, Fri 04 Jan 2019.

Lady Jalia Ramires
Fri 4 Jan 2019
at 09:02
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
"Oh? Marvelous! Though I ought to say, there's nothing simple about you, Tremor. I should like to hear all about your 'submission,' that sounds intriguing." They entered the Livewood arm in arm, as the orchestra ran through its opening notes. A crowd pressed through before and after them. "The Company only charges half-price for the rehearsal, still... The people crave the entertainment, and at a cut-rate price. The audience for rehearsals is larger than the opening day. I should expect to see subversion, at the least. These are the artists flung off from the spinning gyre of Khorvaire--the outre', the outcast, the rebel. The show I saw was a stinging indictment on the Last War." The gate had Tremor's name, and they filed through.
The world changed.
The living walls towered over the two, swept in by the currents and eddies of the crowd. Tremor's eyes swept up; the ceiling inside appeared twice as high as from without. The foliage arced overhead into a solid-seeming dome of green. The atmosphere felt denser, the spaces seemed larger, and smoke and motes of light filled the air. The orchestra pit looked filled, but Tremor's keen eye soon picked out the members of the band who were merely mirror-images of the real musicians. The sounds of complex tuning called back into Tremor's past. Lady Ramires pointed to where they were located. "'Wage hand', indeed. Nobody who's nobody gets seats like those." There was a brief spell of silence, and the orchestra quieted. They were able to descend the last rows of steps and shimmy into their places. The wood of the benches was soft and warm. The motes of light that suffused the space dimmed. In the quiet, and the dark she said "There is a place I go. There are no other places of peace in the city for me." In the half-light of the stage before them, and in the low opening notes of the concerto, she turned to him. "I'll take you there after, if you want."
There was a surge of applause as the lights extinguished completely. A single note heralded a glowing figure dropping from somewhere over the stage. He fell, illuminated with yellow light and apparently struck the stage and vanished. Tremor noticed the clever trampoline and the shift from yellow to black as the performer was launched up again. Another had dropped, purple, this time, and soon the area over the stage was filled with a seeming rain of acrobats. They fell, overtly, and then jumped back upwards covertly; a shared secret between the leapers and the audience. Jalia was nodding along to the rising music.
♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBca3xf-j3o&t=13s">Echoes</a>
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant time comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the where's or why's
But something stirs and something tries
Starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can?

And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
No one speaks and no one tries
No one flies around the sun

♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
The acrobats had ceased their rain, and formed out of their bodies a writhing undersea coral fortress. Tremor could not quite tell precisely when the actors moved aside for the practical set to be moved into place, but the whole effect seemed ingenious. At one point a pod of illusory dolphins frolicked and gamboled over all the audience's heads. When the music had collected itself, and resumed its rhythm, first one, and then another acrobat climbed, flipped, and flung themselves down from the tops of the towers. This time, upon striking the trampoline they glowed bright, and soared upwards like fireballs.
♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
When the last performer had flashed upwards, and the last notes floated away, Tremor saw the motes had relit themselves, only a dimmer blue, fist-sized blue bubbles. He spied a pixie flashing about and adjusting them. The applause began again, but it seemed muffled, as though under water.
Lady Jalia Ramires
"Thank you so much for this." she said, and tiny bubbles wobbled upwards as she spoke.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 94 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Mon 7 Jan 2019
at 07:50
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
The performances, the music, the conjured presence of undersea experience, all very ethereal.

"Did you see the Fae?

I confess, this performance, the song, it spoke to me; here.
."

Tremor uses his forefinger and taps it over his heart.
Lady Jalia Ramires
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 19:53
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
"Fae?" She looked along Tremor's pointing finger "No, I didn't. Oh! They're helping!" She laughed, and it was a sweet sound. "'Strangers passing in the street.' That could be us, couldn't it?"
Veri l'Sivius
The face and figure of the barker, Veri l'Sivius appeared on the stage, but strangely widened, deformed, a comical caricature of himself.  "Fair ladies, kind gentlemen. At this point in the stage production of Globach and Lothar is still being scored, the transition to the island city above shall be effected by these lights, your indulgence, and... music." There was a change of light, and a rising music. The city-scape on the stage changed, became a nighttime scene, with a couple strolling along the street.
Lady Rusila iríClarn
The row of stringed insturments started a sonorous growl. The woman was  Rusila iríClarn, the man, unknown; some other; a handsome man paid her no heed. Beautiful as she was, he had eyes only for the other women that passed along the street. Silently, she protested, he rebuffed her. She changed tack directing her protests at the crowd of women, and while she  violently chastised the women, he drew a short blade. He seemed as surprised as she, when he plunged the dagger into her back. She faced the audience. As the man pursued the women across the stage she stood, arms spread, and stared at the audience in frank accusation.
♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdo0k-9NDM">Furious Angels</a>
Like a sentence of death
Iíve got no options left
Iíve got nothing to show now
Iím down on the ground
Iíve got seconds to live
And you canít go now

ĎCause love, like an invisible bullet has shot me down and Iím bleeding Ė yeah, Iím bleeding
And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me
will bring you back to me

♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
The man moved upwards, mostly focusing on the women he pursued. Her cloak stained itself with her blood. When she was gowned in scarlet from head to heel, others arose at her feet, garbed in crimson. They set out, in a pack, chasing after the man.
♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
Youíre a dirty needle
Youíre in my blood
And thereís no curing me
And I want to run
(Like the blood from a wound)
To a place you canít see me

ĎCause love, like a blow to the head, has left me stunned and Iím reeling Ė yeah, Iím reeling
And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me

Youíre a cold piece of steel between my ribs and thereís no saving me
And I canít get up from this wet crimson bed that you made for me

ĎCause love, like a knife in the back, has cut me down and Iím bleeding Ė yeah, Iím bleeding
And if you go, angels will run to defend me Ė to defend me

ĎCause I canít get up
Iím as cold as a stone
I can feel the life fade from me
Iím down on the ground
Iíve got seconds to live
Then whatís there that waits for me?

ĎCause love, like a sentence of death has left me stunned, and Iím reeling Ė yeah, Iím reeling
And if you go, furious angels will bring you back to me

♬   ♪   ♬  ♬   ♪   ♬
The angels in red caught up with the man, the women he pursued were transformed into scarlet denizens, too. They flung him down; there was a seeming splash at the stage floor, and a crimson stained skeleton rose in his place. The woman, Rusila, though it hardly seemed to be her any longer, decayed before the eyes. She reached for the ruin of the man. With her hand, now gone completely to bone, she raised him up and in a ghastly display of affection, the two skeletons embraced, and lipless, they kissed.
Lady Jalia Ramires
The woman sitting beside him had no words, only a solitary tear tracing down the side of her face. The Bear had said, tears could lie, but Tremor felt that in this case, it was truth.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 100 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 12:09
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
It was vivid, operatic.

Tremor was swept up by the display, the story, the theatre of it. larger than life.

Going back and listening again, for the vocal skill, it might take a few more viewings before the art settled.

Tremor looked over, he saw the reaction Jalia was having, for some reason he felt closer to her now having shared this performance.
Lady Jalia Ramires
Thu 24 Jan 2019
at 18:53
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
The next segment was a traditional acknowledgement of the Traveler, dressed in tattered yellow rags and a veil over his face. As Cassilda spoke, Jalia, still silently weeping, turned to Tremor.
"Can we... get out of here?"

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 102 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 11:24
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Without saying a word, Tremor pats her hand gently, stands and makes way for an isle.

Once there he turns to offer a hand, then allows Jalia to take lead, following her out.
Lady Jalia Ramires
Sat 26 Jan 2019
at 16:32
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
They walked together for a space, out across the Onyx Dragon plaza. Tremor noticed a halfling boy selling roses at a stall. "I said I would show you my place of peace." She explained. "I thought... It caught me by surprise. I didn't think. I didn't think it would upset me as much." She headed for the entrance to Forgelight, showing Tremor the way..

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 103 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Mon 28 Jan 2019
at 11:17
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"You thought...

Was it the depiction of the Traveler? Something else
?"

Tremor walked with Jalia and thought perhaps engaging in the cause might drain whatever alarm from her mind, replace that alarm with the act of concern for her well being.
Lady Jalia Ramires
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 01:20
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
Her hand was firm in his.. "No.  The Traveler is a friend that I've not yet met. The... thought.. It  was the idea. The idea of love. Love strong enough  to resist death. or to embrace it" Forgelight was quiet in the night.  The forges were silent, and the workers gone to  their beds. As they moved to Respite, she asked: "What do you know of Delera's Watch?"

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 104 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Wed 30 Jan 2019
at 06:22
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"Not a thing. Tell me a story."
Lady Jalia Ramires
Thu 31 Jan 2019
at 06:16
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
She still seemed to be working to control her emotions, as they walked alon the now-quiet, but still glowing forges. One lone smith still labored in the distance, the single hammer strikes making a counterpoint to their footsteps.

Tremor had not come unprepared to Stormreach, he'd done some research, and he knew that Delera Omaren was one of the Stormreach founders, her descendant Paulo still held the title Storm Lord. One detail that had stuck in Tremors head was that she had gifted the land around her family tomb to be used as a graveyard for those who could not afford any other place. A pauper's gravesite; Delara's Watch was a necropolis.

"Once there was a handsome lord. He was well liked by his people, and was expected to succeed in his estate. His siblings were none of them equal to his capabilities as a leader, nor his prowess in the art of war. He could keep his people safe and prosperous. His juniors were too well accustomed to riches to have a care for the way of rule, and chose to spend their time honing their skills at subterfuge and politicking. It would have amounted to nothing at all, for he could keep hs siblings in check. As long as he minded them. But then something happened; a distraction. He met a Lyrandar who stole his heart away."

She stopped speaking then, and the hammer fell silent. Overhead the Sword shown fitfully against a sky dark with clouds. The wind was picking up, and the first few sprinkles of what Tremor knew would be a torrent soon came down. Jalia was heedless, her eyes fixed upon a time and place that Tremor felt sure was long gone.

"What would you sacrifice for love?" she asked.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 105 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Thu 31 Jan 2019
at 09:48
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"Not one single thing would I sacrifice. I accept that when love comes, it is embraced as it is. No matter its shape, size or sensibility.

Conversely, I am to be accepted as I am. There is no sacrifice between equals, it is when one side is not as equal, that bargains are made. For a bargain, one must lose something to gain another thing.

In that way, madness lies. Because love is transformational. It makes the sum of the parts greater than the whole
."

After speaking the words, Tremor realized that those words likely were not something Jalia would agree with.

"Do we have different ideas about sacrifice?"
Lady Jalia Ramires
Thu 31 Jan 2019
at 19:46
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
The gate to Respite loomed over them as they crossed into the sedate and calming district. Far above, a castle hovered at a somewhat canted angle.

She shrugged. "It's good to be wealthy and powerful. The Lord was good at being a Lord. But a noble may not keep his title nor can a Dragonmarked heir keep property. When they decided to be together, they lost all they had. I don't disagree, they were more than they were, but there was still a cost. They were surrounded by family who hated their decision. The Lord's eldest brother took up the mantle of the Lord, and immediately began using his influence for personal gain. The land suffered, and the people. The revolt that took place killed the fledgeling lord, and the rest of the siblings lost no time in squabbling over the title, and blaming the ex-lord for leaving.

Meanwhile the House, which had had plans to marry the young heir to another in the house made life for the couple uncomfortable in the extreme."
she said.


Delera's Watch was class division made manifest for the dead. In the center were the tombs of the old StormLords, and around that were the less grand pirate tombs, their gold making the raiders nearly as important as those founders. Then there was a ring of merchants, explorers, and other such ne'er-do-wells as came up with the coin in even less conventional ways.

And then the graves of the paupers, graves without number, circled about those.

"There are more dead than living in Respite." She said it like it was a saying, and they picked their way carefully around the often unmarked graves of the destitute. She stopped in front of a pair of stones. "The couple was hounded, they fled and traveled about the Five Kingdoms, but the reaches of the spiteful lords, and influence of the Dragonmarked House were too great. Finally they came to Stormreach, and there they found a sort of calling. There's a word the Tulita use to denote some-one who takes up the cause of the people. Heʻe nalu. Those who ride the wave and are not subject to it. They built a home, and a family. A darling girl..." She swallowed back a choke. "But ... the sea takes, and it does not give back. Their murderer was never found. The rumor was this was a last act of the House to send a message to other 'marked who might desire to stray."

The stones read: "Davos ir'Amires beloved husband and father" and "Jaliyah d'Lyrandar beloved wife and mother."

"There are no holy places in Stormreach, but this is a place of peace."
Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 109 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Tue 5 Feb 2019
at 11:49
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
{*}:
Oh there are clues, a bond existed.

It was a story that would touch any heart, and Halflings hearts were larger than most all children of Eberron. Can there be peace with so deep a well of sadness or longing? The twins birthed of Grief, stood as silent companions, they might be in stature measured to the knee, or as Titans.

Yes, this place can be of peace, but its visitors may need time to join that peace.

Blessed is this place, may Boldrei continue to bless this place for its purpose and equity to all
.


Tremor walked slowly, trying to be as silent and as undisturbing a presence as possible. Now he had some inkling...

Was Inkling a creature conjured by scriveners? Was there a word for a mere glimpse of an idea by storytellers?

...of what trust Jalia had, to speak so, to share the story, let alone the place.

"Is it possible you are part Halfling, you tell a story like one. "

Tremor turns to the stones and having read them, speaks to them.

"Well met Davos ir'Amires and you Jaliyah d'Lyrandar. This is my first visit, I expect to see you often I come to Delera's Watch.

I am a bit of a conversationalist, so I may speak to you from time to time, I am told it is an endearing trait. Listen as you like, I may whisper so to not make the others jealous
."

Turning back to Jalia, "Come, show me the nooks and crannies, your favorite small places."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:05, Thu 07 Feb 2019.

The GM
 GM, 412 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Thu 7 Feb 2019
at 21:22
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Theme Music
Tremor had been taking in the surroundings as he spoke; ever attentive to surroundings, as he'd been taught. The only other person in the Watch at the moment was about a hundred yards away, a tall pale man in dark clothes. He moved slowly along with the aid of a staff that glowed faintly as he illuminated first one and then another gravestone.

Thinking of the Inkling reminded Tremor of the time he'd told Lazarumbear of his fanciful notion. It, and the time he'd answered 'Diplomacy' were two of the three times he'd heard the old sage laugh with true gusto. "And how do you know such a thing doesn't exist?"

While he spoke, the sprinkles turned to droplets of rain. Tremor knew they would become numerous and fat within the hour.

But when he turned back to Jalia after addressing her parents, he found that she'd lost what composure she'd had. Overcome with grief, and other emotions, Jalia had sat down suddenly on a plinth. The statue above was an angel, arms cradling a babe. The rain fell onto the angel's face and hands, and the woman and the angel cried together.

Tremor did what any well bred man might do, to offer comfort, and she hung her arms on Tremor, and wept (somewhat noisily, thought the halfling) for a space of time thereafter. Several flashes of lighting flickered about as the storm came on. Maybe less than an hour, judged Tremor.

Lady Jalia Ramires
When she could, she spoke again. "After I found them again... I got headstones.... And I swore... that I would find whoever did this." She looked into Tremor's eyes, and the lightning flashed again. "Whoever they are. No matter how powerful they are.... They stole everything from me, and now I will take everything from them." The thunder boomed its acknowledgement, and the rain fell around them.

Tremor noted the man he'd seen earlier. He was moving purposefully toward the couple, the light from his stick keeping him from stumbling on the stones between them.
Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 110 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Fri 8 Feb 2019
at 08:00
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
There is a time when Tremor just holds Jalia and after she looks him in the eyes, he stills his mind and just listens, accepts.

For moments, there was no rain, no storm, no stones, no city, all of Eberron was a plinth and a single statue.

"Quite the declaration, an epic to be told in days or weeks. I foresee only one wrinkle which is...  death by saturation.

Shelter is what we need now
."

Of the approaching man, Tremor had mild curiosity, his eyes scanned for others, in among the stones and farther, for exits or places of incline to move up above the field.
The GM
 GM, 414 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Mon 11 Feb 2019
at 18:53
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
There were overgrown arches that provided shelter from the storm, which decided to come down in full force as they moved to cover. Tremor suspected that this rain would not, in fact be lethal in itself. But he wondered if there was something else in the rain, which might be.

Jalia was a mess. Her multiple layers of garments became sodden, and heavy with rain. Her make-up was a shambles. 'When the faÁade is pulled down, the architecture is revealed.' was something Lazarumbear had said more than once. But things seemed safer once out of the torrent. Tremor made a mental note to revise (again) his estimation of how quickly Stormreach weather changed.

He eyed the distance between the approaching man and the cemetary gate, and judged that, even encumbered he and Jalia would be able to outrun whatever threat the approaching man might present. In fact they could both climb up to an advantageous position, if she could be persuaded to shed her dress (which now seemed to weigh an additional twenty pounds).

Tremor also judged the approaching man in terms of threat. He did not seem to be much of a physical threat, though that meant little in a world ruled by magic. But magic was a tool, and tools were wielded by people, and Tremor knew people. This one did not look prepared to attack. He stopped at the statue near Jalia's parents; about twenty yards away.

"Is everything all right? I heard a cry." he asked in a loud voice.

Beyond the man in black, Tremor saw a movement out in the graveyard. A figure running, or loping towards them. It would reach the man first.

There was another flash of lightning overhead, and Tremor saw the unmistakable features of a ghoul, moving swiftly through the heavily rain-swept graveyard.
Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 111 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 00:25
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"Thank you, just a little overwhelming, our visit. I think...


By the Host  Behind you! there's ...."

Tremor exclaims with a controlled shout, pointing in the direction of what he sees.

Tremor looks for a way for Jalia to climb upwards, trying to turn her with his hands.
The GM
 GM, 417 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Tue 12 Feb 2019
at 19:54
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
OOC: Jalia is at Disadvantage for all physical activities, in her fancy, and sodden dress. Tremor can Help her climb, or help her out of her dress, which would remove the condition. Heavy Rain makes all Perception rolls at a Disadvantage. Do you have a weapon? The arches are overgrown, and so there are vines to grab. Getting up is DC 10. The gate to Delera's Watch was about one hundred and fifty yards away (90 degrees to the right, if one  had one's back to the overgrown arch, and was facing the direction the ghoul was approaching). The ghoul is about 20 yards behind the man.

The man tossed a look behind him and began running full-out towards Tremor and Jalia. The ghoul howled and pursued.

Theme Music

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:35, Wed 13 Feb 2019.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 112 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Wed 13 Feb 2019
at 05:07
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor will Aid Jalia in Climbing (gives Advantage, so even roll) and if he sees she is doing poorly, (donate a d6)

"Alright, up and up the vines, much better view from above, here we go."

Tremor will not himself climb up but stay in readiness to help the running man climb as well when he arrives. Then the idea of leading off the... problem by leading a merry chase amongst the stones does enter his mind.

To the man as he approaches, "Grab the vines, climb" Aid him as well.


OOC: I think Tremor would have a Dagger and a sling

The GM
 GM, 422 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Wed 20 Feb 2019
at 06:25
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Lady Jalia Ramires
Jalia was swearing like a sailor, and severely deprecating the city guards for harassing good folk during the day, and conspicuously absent at night. Tremor noted a few turns of phrase he was unfamiliar with, that seemed both physically and morally impossible. But she nodded, and kicked off from Tremor's cupped hands. She scrambled up the wall like a squirrel, and now Tremor saw the reason why: her black slippers glittered with a webwork tracery on the tread, and gave her a supernatural purchase. From the top of the arch she called down: "I swear this is the first time I've seen a ghoul in the Watch. They better not be chewing on my parents!." This thought consumed her with rage, and Tremor could hear the ripping of fabric accompanying her curses of the guards, ghouls, and society in general.
The Man In Black
The man panting ran up to Tremor. In his hand was a short magical rod or focus with a crystal skull atop it. The skull was the source of the glow the man had used to avoid stumbling over the gravestones as he ran. "Thank you for that shout. Ironically I was coming over to warn you. I saw the spoor. Not what I expected." He spoke with a faded Kaarnathi accent, but Tremor recognized it. The man had obviously spent some time in Breland, enough to alter his idiom. He accepted Tremor's help somewhat more awkwardly than the nimble Jalia. "Don't let it touch you. I'll cover you from above."
Tremor pushed the man up and observed the monster running closer. It was inhuman in the way it moved, jerky and unnerving. It snuffled and growled as it ran, bounding over the headstones. Its arms and legs did not seem properly jointed, and the face looked partly dog-like, and partly human-like, where it was not covered in filth and gore. The eyes, though were clear and shining and very hungry. It was naked save for a small scarlet amulet around its neck.

OOC:the first round Tremor helped Jalia, and the man closed to close range. Jalia freed herself from her sodden dress and readied a hand crossbow that she produced from 'somewhere.' The second round Tremor helped the man up, and the ghoul closed to close range. Both the npcs are atop the overgrown archway. The ghoul will be at close range at the end of this round, and Tremor still has a move action of his own before the ghoul arrives.

So: give me a move action, and then a full combat round for Tremor. Let me know what your AC is. You are up!
Ghoul
Armor Class 12 Hit Points 22
Bite. Melee: +2 to hit, one target. Damage: (2d6 + 2) piercing
Claws. Melee: +4 to hit, one target. Damage: (2d4 + 2) slashing. DC 10 Con save or paralyzed.

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 113 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Wed 20 Feb 2019
at 12:25
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach


Tremor scrambles up the vines after the Man in Black, as he does he is wary of the attacker, making sure to avoid a touch

Cunning Action: Disengage if the Ghoul is close enough for an AOO by my Movement
Second-Story Work climbing no longer costs you extra movement
AC: 13 | No Armor, DEX +3, base 10 AC
Climb
04:18, Today: Tremor Enkau Valevine rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  Climb vines in Watch.


Once up above, Tremor turns, drawing his dagger and starts to cut the vines, to thwart any attempt to climb up after him.
The GM
 GM, 426 posts
 Fair Winds and
 Following Seas
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 17:34
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
Tremor scrambled up safely and then began hewing at the vines that made the arch so easy to climb. They came away reluctantly, but he sawed even more furiously as the ghoul ran up. Tremor flung the plant matter down at the furious creature.

OOC: the DC for climbing went from 10 to 15.

The ghoul snarled, momentarily thwarted, and gouged the stone. It grinned then, and digging its claws into the crumbling stonework began to methodically move up the side of the structure.
Lady Jalia Ramires
Jalia had cut away her soaking dresses, heedless that she was now clad in only a whalebone bodice and slip. She aimed the crossbow at the ghoul and let fly. The bolt embedded itself in the monster's eye, but the gore crusted features just grinned, and it continued to climb.
Karl
"My name is Karl, by the way." He gestured with his rod at the creature and there was a low muffled gong sound which seemed to wrap itself around the ghoul's head. It screamed as the wound in its head tore itself open. The lifeless creature tumbled down and splattered on the ground. "One down, but my comrades, the ghoul hunts in packs." he gestured.
Tremor saw the motion now of seven more of the monsters. Four were running on the ground to get near the base of the arch they had climbed. Three more were already climbing the arches thirty feet away from their position. Overgrown vines had blocked the top of the archway, but if that obstacle could be overcome, then they would have a straight shot at the gate to the graveyard.
Ghoul
Armor Class 12 Starting Hit Points 22
HP 22 13 -1
Bite. Melee: +2 to hit, one target. Damage: (2d6 + 2) piercing
Claws. Melee: +4 to hit, one target. Damage: (2d4 + 2) slashing + DC 10 Con save or paralyzed.


ground5 6 7 8        1(dead)                 Gate Exit
archtop2 3 4        T J K   ***            

Tremor Enkau Valevine
 player, 114 posts
 Mop Hand, Molou's Distill
 Halfling, Zilargo accent
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 09:12
Re: 1: Becalmed in Stormreach
"Well met Karl.  I am Tremor Enkau Valevine. I will try and clear the way."

Tremor will move towards the vines that block the way to the gate.

Move Action: 15 ft.
STandard Action: Perception check for Movement dangers, weak stone, problems for Medum sized creatures, as well as Small.

Right hand: Dagger
Left hand : Empty

01:12, Today: Tremor Enkau Valevine rolled 16 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 11.  Perception v hazards and problem with Arch and vines.