Chapter 5 - The Fell Forest.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Saba
 player, 88 posts
Sun 22 Jul 2018
at 19:09
A New Arrival
"Well crap," Saba responds as he digs into a pouch and pulls out the nondescript piece of plant matter that he formerly tried to sell for 1gp.  "You know you're killing me here.  There's good profit in this that you're spoiling, and you ought to recompense, especially since I did warn you and all."  He moves forward, a little unsure of the creature's possible action and ends up holding it out with one hand tentatively from between Ralph and Alwin.  "Probably kissing good money goodbye." he says under his breath a little remorsefully like it was actually a personal injury to him.
Ralph
 player, 91 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 13:26
A New Arrival
Ralph eyes the creature warily, in case it is not satisfied with Saba's offering.
Alwin
 player, 82 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 14:39
A New Arrival
Alwin keeps his hand on his blade in the event the situation becomes violent.
DM
 GM, 166 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 15:49
A New Arrival
The creature reaches between Ralph and Alwin, snatches the mushroom from Saba and immediately begins to eat it. It chews slowly with its eyes closed as if savouring an exquisite delicacy.

With the mushroom devoured, it opens its eyes and once again hissess “mussshhhh-rooommmssss”, before attempting to barge through the gap between the two fighters.


9.00 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:34, Mon 23 July 2018.

Ralph
 player, 92 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 17:12
A New Arrival
If all it does is barge, Ralph uses his shield to block its advance and push it back.
Saba
 player, 89 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 19:27
A New Arrival
Saba will help Ralph also pushing on his shield if there is enough room and he doesn't object to the help.  "Hey steady on son, that's all there is, there ain't no more unless you go find it yourself in the forest."
Alwin
 player, 83 posts
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 20:53
A New Arrival
Alwin also moves to block the advance of the interloper.
Heebie
 player, 107 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 23:31
A New Arrival
Heebie kept his distance and stood near Delia. His sword is drawn and ready for trouble. He spoke quietly to her.  "I don't like the look of this. Like a wild animal. How does Saba know it?"
Saba
 player, 90 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 01:34
A New Arrival
Overhearing Heebie Saba replies.  "I don't really know him at all, but I think he called himself Farfu or something like that.  Ain't that right Farfu?" Saba finishes stressing the creatures name hoping it had some self-awareness and it might stop the aggression.

He then pulls the others back gently to give the creature some room as well as he goes on to explain.

"I got caught in an awkward game of dice with him and a few others a little while back.  We all thought he was a half-breed Orc cause that's what he looked like.

Anyway, last I saw him he had just gulped down some mushrooms that the dark creeper we were playing against offered to settle his losses.  His molecular structure started spazzing out pretty soon afterwards as he started changing forms so fast he was one thing before he had even completed changing into the last.

I think Creepy got the fear and shed darkness like he'd pissed himself and the place went wild.  I fell out the back of my chair and stayed down until things settled.  When the light came back I scarpered since everyone else had split and the room was trashed.

Apparent Farfu lost his marbles and ran off into a forest, but I didn't know it was this one.  Looks like change boy here might be addicted, and we might be in for some more weirdness when the rest of the shrooms hit his bloodstream."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Tue 24 July 2018.

Ralph
 player, 93 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 15:55
A New Arrival
"Mebbe we should put him out of his misery?" Ralph says; it's more of a question than a statement.
DM
 GM, 167 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 18:49
A New Arrival
The mushroom fiend seems genuinely surprised when Ralph and Alwin resist its attempts to pass. It's almost as if it had forgotten the party was there.

As Heebie scuttles towards Delia, and Saba edges the others back, it’s clear that the creature is about to make a second, more concerted attempt to get by.

[If you’re going to continue to block the creature’s passage, then we’re almost certainly in a combat situation and we’ll roll for initiative. If Ralph and Alwin are going to let it through the front line, or if you’re going to attempt something else, let me know. Based on its complete non-acknowledgment of anything Saba has said to it thus far, parley doesn’t look like a particularly promising option.]


9.00 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.
Heebie
 player, 108 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 00:38
A New Arrival
"Can we get past it somehow behind a shield wall? We need to continue on to the forest bit and that's where it came from. Doesn't look like it really wants to fight."   Heebie manoeuvred behind the fighters and urged Delia to do the same.
Saba
 player, 91 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 00:58
A New Arrival
Saba isn't going to debate it, casting sleep as the creature prepares.


Ralph
 player, 94 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 02:22
A New Arrival
Ralph would attempt to block it again.
Alwin
 player, 84 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 12:53
A New Arrival
Alwin held his ground and attempted to stop the creature.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
OOC: Sounds like initiative is in order unless it goes down to the sleep spell.

DM
 GM, 168 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 15:49
A New Arrival
Saba’s quick action sends the creature to sleep.


9.00 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.

Dice Rolls Relating to this Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DM rolled 4 using 1d6.  Party initiative vs mushroom fiend - round 1.
DM rolled 2 using 1d6.  Mushroom fiend initiative vs party - round 1.

Saba
 player, 92 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 18:10
A New Arrival
He will also draw his blade and perform the coup de grâce with the final word, "Insane and addicted, it's the kindest thing we can do."
Heebie
 player, 109 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 20:38
A New Arrival
"Not a nice start to the day." Heebie grabbed the lantern and stepped gingerly past the creature. "Glad I don't play dice."

The halfling led the way back toward the forested area.
Delia
 player, 111 posts
 Human Magic User
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 23:37
A New Arrival
"I dought vwe vwere going back to de vwater noise," Delia said, pointing in the other direction than Heebie was pointed.  "Are vwe running out of de oil and need to go back for more?"
Brother Solomon
 player, 89 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 00:41
A New Arrival
Throughout the encounter with Farbu, Solomon stood by Delia offering her his shield. He was too slow to stop Saba from slaying the defenseless creature. Solomon winced as the blow landed and shot a dark look toward Saba.  He frowned, disapproving.
Heebie
 player, 110 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 00:46
A New Arrival
Heebie turned around. "Right. Towards the water noise. So much has happened, seems like a month since we were last there."
Saba
 player, 93 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 02:55
A New Arrival
Aware of Brother Solomon's judging look Saba still waits beside the body to make sure the creature is dead and reverts back to its true form.


He is ready to move onto the water.
DM
 GM, 169 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 19:10
A New Arrival
Saba:
Aware of Brother Solomon's judging look Saba still waits beside the body to make sure the creature is dead and reverts back to its true form.


The creature does appear to be dead, but it remains unchanged. Whatever "true form" Saba was expecting doesn't materialise.


You retrace your steps northwards, back up the twisting corridor, to the entrance to the water cavern. As before, you can see a steep drop 20’ to your right, with sounds of rushing water coming from beneath the drop.


9.20 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.
Heebie
 player, 111 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 21:57
A New Arrival
Heebie moved into the cavern. He kept the edge of the drop to his right at the same 20 foot  distance and followed it forward. "Wonder where those northmen disappeared to. We haven't crossed paths since earlier."
Saba
 player, 94 posts
Sat 28 Jul 2018
at 17:40
A New Arrival
As Saba is walking along he opens a small pouch none of the others have seen him holding before.  He tips the pouch open into his hand and out drop 6 electrum pieces and a pair of dice.  "I wonder why he didn't change back to his original form when he died.  I thought they all did.  At least we have something with which to buy some oil for the lanterns or more torches now."