Chapter 6 - The River.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Delia
 player, 119 posts
 Human Magic User
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 19:42
Searching
Delia was already headed back out of the cavern.  "Bring de light!" she whispered urgently.
Saba
 player, 103 posts
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 20:14
Searching
Saba looks around for bracken and small branches that may be set alight.  "Spiders hate fire, let's use that to make ourselves look unattractive as targets."
DM
 GM, 185 posts
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 16:45
The Spiders are Coming
As we're at a potentially critical juncture, I'm holding for Alwin's and Ralph's response to Heebie's intervention ...
Alwin
 player, 94 posts
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 21:52
The Spiders are Coming
Alwin noted where he was in his investigation of the room, drew his sword and moved toward the front of the party.  "I don't know that we can outrun them.  We may as well face them here if they are coming after us."  He prepared for the spiders arrival.
Ralph
 player, 104 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 13:08
Re: The Spiders are Coming
Alwin:
Alwin noted where he was in his investigation of the room, drew his sword and moved toward the front of the party.  "I don't know that we can outrun them.  We may as well face them here if they are coming after us."  He prepared for the spiders arrival.


Ralph readies for battle.  "Agreed; if not here, then it'll happen elsewhere, maybe at a time and place not of our choosing.  This is fairly defensible, and we are prepared.  Now is the time.  But, . . .  "

Ralph's voice cracks a little, countering his display of bravado.

". . . fire would be a good idea."
DM
 GM, 186 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 19:03
The Spiders are Coming
Although Heebie had a head start on the spiders, they are moving much more quickly than he is, leaping the river canyon in a single bound.

The halfling arrives back at the mushroom cavern only just ahead of his pursuers.

Alwin, Solomon and Ralph steel themselves for battle. As for the others ...

Delia:
Delia was already headed back out of the cavern.  "Bring de light!" she whispered urgently.


Sensing the proximity of the spiders, Delia has a decision to make. If she’s quick, she might be able to duck out of the cavern before the spiders arrive, but it’s going to be close.

Saba:
Saba looks around for bracken and small branches that may be set alight.  "Spiders hate fire, let's use that to make ourselves look unattractive as targets."


Nope, not a chance … remember: “From what you can see at the entrance, this new cavern is particularly damp. Water drips from the ceiling and runs down the walls, collecting in small pools". It will quickly dawn on Saba that this is not the ideal place for starting fires; I’ll let him declare another action as combat is  imminent.

As for Heebie, what will he now do given that he’s back at the entrance to the mushroom cavern and has alerted his comrades?


10.10 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.
Delia
 player, 120 posts
 Human Magic User
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 22:00
The Spiders are Coming
Disappointed they hadn't fled when they had the chance, Delia remained at the edge of the light, furthest from the spiders approach.  She pulled a pair of darts from her satchel and held one in each hand.  Her previous experience hitting one of the others in mind, she would only throw them if a spider were bearing down upon her.
Saba
 player, 105 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 03:26
The Spiders are Coming
A quick glance making it obvious here nothing would burn without a significant blaze Saba draws his darts moving closer to being behind the fighters.
Brother Solomon
 player, 98 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 12:45
The Spiders are Coming
Solomon waited for the spiders to come to him, appearing more calm than he felt in the face of such leggy foes.
Heebie
 player, 123 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 14:01
The Spiders are Coming
Heebie drew his short sword and slipped into the shadows to hide from the approaching spiders.
Ralph
 player, 106 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 19:01
The Spiders are Coming
Ralph readies himself to hit a spider, hoping for fire -- and unaware that his hope is in vain.
Alwin
 player, 95 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 21:18
The Spiders are Coming
Alwin moved toward the spiders hoping to be able to engage them and keep them from his friends.
DM
 GM, 188 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 19:30
The Spiders Have Arrived!
Alwin and Ralph attack first (regardless of initiative rolls) due to their multiple attacks arising from their weapon specialisation (I only noticed this rule recently). The rest of the party members are tied with the spiders on segment 3. Alwin’s and Ralph’s second attacks come at the end of the round.

Whilst Heebie slips into the shadows, Saba positions himself to the rear of the fighters and Delia retreats to the far side of the mushroom cave, Alwin charges forward to join Ralph in the front line at the cave mouth.

Both Alwin’s and Ralph’s initial attacks are successful, Alwin killing his spider outright and Ralph injuring his. Ralph easily sidesteps the spider’s return bite, before both fighters land second hits to swiftly end the battle.

Solomon, waiting for the spiders to come to him, must be either disappointed or relieved.


10.10 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.

Dice Rolls Relating to this Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DM rolled 3 using 1d6.  Party initiative vs spiders - round 1.
DM rolled 3 using 1d6.  Spider initiative vs party - round 1.
DM, on behalf of Alwin, rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  To hit vs Spider 1.
DM, on behalf of Alwin, rolled 5 using 1d8+3.  Damage vs Spider 1.
DM, on behalf of Ralph, rolled 21 using 1d20+1.  To hit vs Spider 2.
DM, on behalf of Ralph, rolled 4 using 1d8+2.  Damage vs Spider 2.
DM rolled 1 using 1d20.  Spider 2 to hit vs Ralph.
DM, on behalf of Alwin, rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  To hit vs Spider 2.
DM, on behalf of Alwin, rolled 8 using 1d8+3.  Damage vs Spider 2.
DM, on behalf of Ralph, rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  To hit vs Spider 2.
DM, on behalf of Ralph, rolled 8 using 1d8+2.  Damage vs Spider 2.
1 DM roll "behind the screen".

Ralph
 player, 107 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 19:45
The Spiders Have Arrived!
Ralph realizes that he is holding his breath and lets it out, slowly. "I thought --" he begins, before stopping and keeping secret what it is that he thought.
Brother Solomon
 player, 99 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 23:24
The Spiders Have Arrived!
"That," said Solomon with a bright smile, "was amazing! Well done, you two."
Saba
 player, 106 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 01:35
The Spiders Have Arrived!
"A brilliant display of arms." Saba agrees.  Unsure of spider etiquette he looks a little concerned to where they came from.  "Shall we put some distance between us and their webs?"
Heebie
 player, 124 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 01:44
The Spiders Have Arrived!
Heebie stayed in the shadows and moved quietly to see if there were more spiders coming.
Delia
 player, 123 posts
 Human Magic User
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 01:52
The Spiders Have Arrived!
"Vwhat about de ones dey vwere fighting vwith?" Delia asked, returning to the light after the excitement had passed.  "Dey may still be alive."

She was glad the swordsmen were able to dispatch the spiders without injury, but there could be survivors in the other group.
Brother Solomon
 player, 100 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 12:36
The Spiders Have Arrived!
Delia had a good point. "Let's go find out," the young cleric nodded. He didn't make a move to lead the way, though.
Ralph
 player, 108 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 20:47
Re: The Spiders Have Arrived!
Brother Solomon:
Delia had a good point. "Let's go find out," the young cleric nodded. He didn't make a move to lead the way, though.


Ralph nods.  "Of course," he says -- not in a tone of sarcasm, but rather one of realization.

He starts forward, but continues only if he is joined by others.
Alwin
 player, 96 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 21:05
Re: The Spiders Have Arrived!
Alwin wiped the spider ichor from his blade as he noted, "I think we will have to find a way across the river and chasm to investigate, but by all means, let us see what we can do."

He let the others go first, resuming his position at rear guard.
Saba
 player, 107 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 21:22
Re: The Spiders Have Arrived!
Saba assumes his position in the marching order behind Ralph.  ”Perhaps we will come across another crossing up ahead.  If we get a chance we ought to prepare and gather together material to light.”. He says looking around at the damp environment .””If we get a chance, that is.”
DM
 GM, 190 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 10:22
Re: The Spiders Have Arrived!
Heebie:
Heebie stayed in the shadows and moved quietly to see if there were more spiders coming.


Peering out of the mouth of the mushroom cave, there are no further spiders within Heebie's range of vision.


10.20 am, 25th day of Harvestide
Heebie
 player, 126 posts
 Halfling
 Thief Level 1
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 13:19
Re: The Spiders Have Arrived!
Heebie stepped into the light. “There are no more creatures coming. From earlier it did not appear that the frogmen lived. They fell and that is still the same.”

The halfling took the lantern and led the way out of the mushroom cave and continued along the wall to the right away from the gap.
DM
 GM, 191 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 16:04
Farewell to Mushrooms
With Heebie leading the way, you depart the mushroom cave and follow the wall on your right-hand side. You can still hear the rushing water of the river in the canyon away to your left.

After about 30’, the light from Heebie’s lantern reveals a passageway ahead of you in the right-hand wall.


10.30 am, 25th day of Harvestide

Game Map here. You may need to refresh your browser to get it to update.