Story I.   Posted by Multner-Small Farming Community.Group: 0
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 23 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 30 Dec 2018
at 22:35
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 15):

Alone, she stood in the darkness. Her clothes soaked in blood, thankfully it was not hers. But hell had broken loose on Multner. Mov could hear the screams and roars of fighting in the distance as steel clashed together. Horses whinnied in the distance. The smell of smoke and ash filled her nose as she realized that parts of her home was burning. It held the hint of death and fear. There was something else in the air that she could not put her finger on it either.
If people were dying, then that meant those she loved and cared about meant that they were in danger. Her first thought, was obviously her mother. She looked up and down the streets. She had to go. Her first thought was the quickest way out of town was down the “Old Road”. But that was also the easiest way into town and where she might encounter the most trouble. It was definitely the way the armored horsemen from Forworth keep had raced. Unfortunately, it was also the direction of her mother’s farm. Mov had no choice but move in that direction without discovery, which mean running down side streets that paralleled the “Old Road”.

She moved for several blocks, avoiding a band of orcs with a half of dozen goblins. They were forced to move off when a group of fighters charged into them. The clang of steel rang in the street and blows were traded between friend and foe. Mov was forced to cut over a couple of blocks away from the “Old Road” before moving down another street that paralleled the road, a couple of blocks further away from the main route in and out of the city.

In a few moments, Mov could see the edge of the city and made a B line for one of the smaller unoccupied gates. As she approached the gate, Mika emerged out of the shadows, his sword drawn and bloody. He was covered in small wounds and visibly panting.

“THIS WAY GIRL!” he roared as his eyes fell on Mov. “Move!”

It was no mistaking Mika was talking to her and as she bolted for the exit. As she neared the exit, she could make out several bodies all over the ground. Mika had been defending the gate during that attack. Mov saw Mika’s arm outstretch to her as she neared. But it was then something slammed into her back, throwing her to the ground. The pain was deep and it burned from just below her left shoulder blade and just above her left breast. Something clattered near her and slid across the ground into the darkness ahead.

She could hear Mika curse outload as she groaned and gritted her teeth through the pain. The world spun as she felt like she was falling again, floating through the air. The sound of steel crashing on steel filled her ears and images of her life filled her head. Something was wrong, she thought. Her mother, she had to get back to her mother. She could be in danger. Mov’s world spun and screams and roars echoed in the darkness. She was slipping away… she knew it.

“Easy girl, I got you now.” It was a fatherly voice. “Relax, all will be well.” There was a hint of pain in his voice. “Hold on, Mov. Lay still.” She could no longer feel the pain or the pressure being applied by her savior. She wanted to sleep too. Gods, she was suddenly so tired.
“Hey little girl. Don’t go to sleep now. We still have a long way to go.” There was caution in his voice. It sounded like it was floating on the wind. “Mov, girl… stay with me.”

“Mov…. “


“MOV….! MOV!!”

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:51, Sun 30 Dec 2018.

The Dark Tzar
 GM, 24 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 30 Dec 2018
at 22:41
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 41):

Sunlight washed over Mov, forcing her eyes to open. She blinked against the light that nearly blinded her. As her eyes got used to the light that bathed her. She tried to get her bearings and looked took in the sight around her. The sunlight was coming in through an open window. Deep blue shades were pulled aside to let the light in.
It was a simple room, a dresser along one wall, on her right, with a ceramic wash basin sitting on the top. The left wall in a corner, there was a wooden vanity with an old cracked mirror. The mismatched chair that accompanied it was stained with old white paint. Both had been beautiful once but age had taken their toll on them. The wall directly ahead of her had a makeshift closet. It looked like it once had been something meant to store dishes. One of the doors hung ajar. Inside, she could see that it there were no shelves and clothes hung from a rod inside. It was hard to make out what type of clothes they were without getting into the closet itself.
Mov tried to sit up, but a wound in her chest forced her to grit her teeth against the pain. When she tried again to sit up, the room spun and she had to support herself to keep from falling back down. It was then that she noticed that she was in her bare skin, save for a heavy bandage over her wounds. They were dried with old blood and still hurt considerably.
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 21 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 00:18
Story I
The bed creaked as she moved, making her sniff and wrinkle her nose in irritation. The room smelled foreign, of others she didn't know. craning her head around she thought on the events of last night. The last thing she could recall was Mika hollering at her. She eased herself up, to a seated position, raising her voice gently, "Hello?" She called out, her voice sounding hollow to herself.
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 25 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 15:24
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 43):

Her voice sounded weak as her voice rang out. Her chest hurt but the pain was not as bad as it should have been. Mov could tell that her wound had been a grievous one.
It was quiet for a moment as she waited for an answer. Instead, there was a knock at the door before it slowly open and Mika’s head popped in from the other side. He had a small bandage around his head where a spot of blood soaked through at his temple. He stepped in, holding a wooden tray with a bowl of something hot. There was also a wooden goblet on the tray with a hint of steam rising above it. As Mika stepped in, he was bare chested wearing a pair of old leggings. Soft boots covered his feet. His chest had several bandages covering wounds here and there. His upper left arm had a bandage coving a serious wound. On the right side of his belly, a large bandage was held in place by an adhesive of some sort. Of all the wounds on the man’s body, this would have been the worse he suffered. He was bone weary and even with his limp, he moved with a cat’s grace. He placed the tray on the vanity before moving the old chair to the side of the bed, retrieved the tray and walked back to stand nest to the bed.
“Good, you are awake,” he said with a relieved smile. “I won’t have to force feed you again,” he explained as he placed the tray over her lap and sat down in the old chair. It creaked with age. The wooden bowl held a thick beef stew with a couple of large hunks of meat. The wooden goblet was filled with warm mead. He handed her a spoon, “You need to eat to get your strength back.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:26, Tue 01 Jan 2019.

Mov Shovelbender
 player, 22 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 15:56
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 44):

Move took the spoon and fought to keep herself from pigging down the food, that smelled so delightful. To her, the stew looked rich and invigorating. "I uh, I appreciate this, thank you Mika." She took a few bites of stew, with a rich, aromatic broth and heavy with parsnips, good potatoes and carrots. She could even see celery and cabbage. It was a solid, nourishing stew.

They sat in gracious silence, allowing Mov to eat at her own pace. She did it slowly, mindful enough not to bolt down her food after any kind of sudden injury or illness. Too fast and you'd barf it back up. Before long, the fragrant stew was gone and her spoon scraped what it could of the thick broth from the sides. She took up the mead, giving it a sniff - she'd have preferred tea, but you didn't do your host that sort of rudeness. You accept what they have to offer, she thought.

The mead was weaker than what her mother usually made, but good. It was redolant of summer flowers and fruits. Her mother favored one made from blackberries - they always picked them together at the end of summer. The thought made her smile as she set the cup down.

"Mika.." She started hesitantly, "Thank you for watching over me. How long have I been here?" She looked down at her bandaged form, then at his own bandages. Those orcs must have come in a good number.. "I need to get back to my mother, have you heard of her? is she safe?"
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 26 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 17:24
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 45):

The questions came at Mike one after the other. He knew the questions would come but try as he might, it was not going to be easy to answer them. It never was in these types of situations. What’s worse, is Mov was not a warrior. She was not used to a life of battle. She’s a farmer, like her mother. Mike knew she was not accustomed to situations like this.  But he had to say something and he was not the type of person to hide the truth. There was so much he didn’t know. At least he could tell her what he knew and what he learned over the last few days.
“Well, I don’t know much, Mov. But I will tell you what I know.” He clasped his hands and rested between his knees as he leaned forward. His head was down, staring at his worn calloused hands.
“We have been here for since the attack on Multner. That was four days ago. We almost lost you that night.” He paused for a moment, thinking. He let out a long sigh, “By the grace of the Tempus, he did not take you but I was sure he would.” He bit his lip, “Perhaps he was feeling generous. In any event, you have been unconscious since you were wounded. I had to fetch a healer to keep you from slipping away. Madam Tottly knows her herb, I will give her that even if is an annoying old canker sore.” He leaned back and stared at Mov. His faced turned to concern. “Multner is not safe. If Foxworth Keep has not fallen yet, then they are under siege. I don’t know what the orcs want or even what drove them to attack. They are not the types to band together and hold a long standing army but these have been able to.” He paused as he eyes Mov for a long moment.
“Mov, most of the outlying farms have been have been destroyed and ransacked. I tried to find your mother after the second night. Figured she would want to be here… but your farm fared no better than the others. There was no sign of her.” He shook his head before continuing, “On the other hand, there was no body either, so hold hope in that.”
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 23 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 22:09
Story I
Her breath hitched in her throat as Mika's words sunk in.. She wasn't obviously dead, her mother was resourceful. She used to tell Mov about the raid that got her in Lydia's belly. That the orcs were brutal and quick - they weren't at the time of her mother's rape, keen to take slaves. All of this went through her head in an instant, and she kept her cool - it wouldn't do to have hysterics.

"She.. she'll have made her way to safety, I am sure.. I don't suppose it would make sense to go see it for myself. I believe you." She shrugged, and winced, pushing the tray down the bed some before sitting up with her legs crisscross, albeit slowly. "My next question.. what can we do? The keep is under attack - what do we do?"
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 27 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 22:41
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 47):

Mika was silent for a long time. He thought for along time trying to figure out what just to do.
“The first thing we should do is simply stay out of the way,” he gave Mov a long look. “You are in no condition for travel and neither am I. But….” He paused and grimaced, thinking to himself. “If Foxworth keep falls, Multner is lost. In my time in the service, I would expect that a messenger was sent to either Tilverton in the north or Arabel in the south. It would make more sense to request help from Tilverton. They have a standing army where Arabel has a volunteer army.”
“If a messenger got through, then depending on which way they went depends on how soon help would come, if at all.” He crossed his arms and thought, “Tilverton is a 3 day hard ride north. It will be days before we can expect help from them, even a standing army takes time to mobilize. Arabel is closer but…..” he trailed off
He pulled himself out of the old chair, picked up the tray. “I am afraid that help come little too late.
“Tomorrow, if you are up for it, we can check to see if the keep still stands,” he finally said before disappearing through the open door. A moment later, he returned with his hands empty and stood at the door. “There are some fresh clothes in the closet, if you can find the strength. Just don’t push yourself to hard.” He turned around and closed the  door behind him.
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 24 posts
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 23:21
Story I
She frowned in thought as he left, already deciding to go with him as soon as it was practical. Her mother might have taken up in the hills, seeking refuge as she made her way to Tilverton. She reasoned to herself that her mother was a resourceful sort - it was her mother who showed her how to slaughter hogs after all.

Move eased herself to sit with her legs dangling off the bed, holding  the headboard as she struggled to stand. "Better now then never" She muttered. With a lurch, she stood, and the world spun slightly. "Ugh." But as she stood, and gained her bearings, her head cleared. She mostly felt stiff and slow, and in a constant state of pain. The wound ached terribly, probably from moving, but she;d prefer to be clothed.

She didn't mistrust Mika's intentions, but it didn't do to lay around naked around another person. She found the clothes to be simple things - men's shirts and loose pants, and some old, threadbare undergarments. Quietly, she slipped in to the rough clothes, feeling more like herself, not just some injured, naked person. She paused, realizing she thought of herself as a person like those she lived with, not kin to the brutes who she ran in to a few nights previously. She shuddered, and for a moment, recalled her belongings - her booty from those orcs she managed to bring down.

That night came back in bursts of memory. She shuddered, rubbing her arms through the rough linen shirt. She could have died, cut in pieces by their huge swords. Her mouth grew dry, making her swallow in an uncomfortable way. "I better go see what I can do for Mika.." She said to herself, and went to open the door.
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 28 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Tue 1 Jan 2019
at 23:56
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 49):

Mika stood in a makeshift kitchen of a modest little cabin. Along the wall that Mov had entered through, hung the heads of animals, trophies of hunts from his past. Another wall, was a heavy wooden door that lead to the outside world. The wall that ran along the ‘Kitchen’, dried herbs, dried meats, a mirror, and two shelves with a few pots, pans, wooden and clay dishes, wooden and ceramic cups and bottles filled with different liquids. The fourth wall, had a stone carved hearth with dwarven runes and knotwork. Next to the hearth was a pile of fresh cut dried wood. There were two chairs in the room that were made of wood and leather cushioning. A large similarly made couch sat along the wall with the hunting trophies. There were three tables in the room made of heavy oak.
It was a humble place, obviously a man who was used to living alone. Mika stood cleaning the wooden bowl and cup.  He looked up as she entered the room, looking around the room.
“It’s not much but it’s home. I never have many visitors here in the hills. But it is out of the way so perhaps we won’t have any problems with the orc patrols running around.” He motions to a couple of knives on the table, a belt, and a couple of pouches on the table. “I got rid of your clothes. Orc blood tends to smell bad when it dries so I took the liberty of burning them. I kept everything else.” He shrugged after a moment, “We will have to get you a new pair of shoes…. Or boots. You were only wearing one when we brought you back here.”
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 25 posts
Wed 2 Jan 2019
at 00:24
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 50):

Mov's eye roam around the home as she nods at Mika's words, "Not a problem - You had to do what you needed to, and I thank you for your help. I'd have died otherwise. Thank you."

She approached the table, looking at the knives cautiously. She picked up the larger, frowning in thought as she inspected it. It was crude, but serviceable. She set it down with a grunt, then picked up her belt and work knife, sliding the belt on for the comfort of wearing it.  It was a comforting sort of weight; the leather supple from being worked in so long.

"Orcs then - Mother always told me about her experiences with them. You said they're banding together to attack the keep?" She made sure to give Mika space, moving to sit down carefully on the couch. She had only been a guest of a few people, any time she went to meet others for farm business, it was in their barn or fields. This was unusual to her.
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 29 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 6 Jan 2019
at 23:43
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 51):

Mika was silent for a time while he cleaned up the dishes that Mov had eaten from. After putting them away, he walked over to the hearth and started working on a fire to warm the house more. Using a small box from the mantle, a small fire appeared in a small bundle of sticks. He was careful to only use the wood that the fire could consume. It was to easy to smother a fire by using fuel to large for the flames to catch onto. When the fire was strong enough to burn on its own, retrieved a tea kettle from his kitchenette and hung it over the fire. Small wisps of smoke curled up and around the kettle before disappearing into the chimney.
Standing, he turned one of the chairs near the fire and faced Mov. It creaked slightly as he sat down, shifting only slightly to find comfort. “Yeah. But orcs… or at least in my experience, do not band together unless something is driving them too.” He explained as he reached over and pick up a pipe and small wooden box from a nearby table. “I saw orcs from tribes like “White Hand”, “Gruul’s Brood”, “Drooltonge” and “Wormrot” to start with. I saw other tribes… clans…. Whatever you want to call it but I don’t recognize them.” He stuffed a bit of herb into his pipe from the small box then after pulling a smoldering twig from the fire, lit the herb inside his pipe. “I know that there is a lot of bad blood between the “White Hand” and “Wormrot”. So whatever is driving them is either more important than their feud or they are scared of whatever is driving them.”
He paused for a moment so that he could smoke from his pipe for a moment. “As for why they are striking at the keep….” He trailed off, not really having an answer.
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 26 posts
Mon 7 Jan 2019
at 22:48
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 52):

Mov gave a grunt of acquiescence, mildly unhappy with this news. "You know a bit about them; Mother only told me to watch out for them. That I wouldn't be very welcome among them." She rubbed her borrowed shirt, finding comfort in the way her rough hands caught on the fabric as she thought. She gave a bitter laugh, "The ones I somehow slew before I ran into you sure weren't happy to see me. What will we do then? I just need to make it on a horse right?"
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 30 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 15:32
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 53):

Mika was silent for a time while is puffed on this pipe. He blew the smoke out slowly, enjoying each inhale. The smoke circled around him like ghosts haunting him from his past. The silence was long and the sun began to sink into the horizon. The glow from the fire in the hearth illuminated the room with a warm glow.
“I know more than I care to know. The Orc Wars that raged on through this area took many lives… and it took a long time to push them down. But that was twenty years or so ago and we had a large contingent of troops from Tilverton stationed here with a couple of hundred from Suzail and Marsember,” he explained before taking a long puff from his pipe. “We don’t have that now. And even if we did, it would be all over before they get here. We had warning twenty years ago. After raids on local farms and a few families were wiped out. We knew it was coming. Back then, it was the orc pushing their boundaries and trying to claim territory for themselves.” He motioned his pipe in the air as if gesturing over a map, “There was no warning this time which makes me believe it is not like it was then. This…” he waved with his pipe again, “… is something else.”
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 27 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 13:36
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 54):

Her brow furrowed as he spoke, her mouth twisting in an unsettled grimace before relaxing. She looked around the rough cabin before speaking again. "Well.. what can we do in the meantime? When do we leave for the city? I don't want to just sit here - " She made as though to stand, but winced and rethought that move, resigning herself to sitting back in the couch with a sigh. She looked down at her calloused, rough hands, making fists. "I don't want those ugly shits running around Multner."
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 31 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 20 Jan 2019
at 19:50
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 55):

The setting sun darkened the room in a deathly gloom that reminded them of the horrors that invaded their peaceful life only a few days later. Mika’s and Mov’s life been one for a farmer and a retiree. Mika was a guard that took on a job believing all he had to worry about was possibly a local thug or two. Mov’s biggest concern was the view of the townspeople had on her. She wanted to win the state fair with her sow. It would have proven that she was a part of the community and not some other savage orc. She was a farmer, a friend, and someone who needed to be respected by the hard work she had done.
But now, all that was gone. In an instant, the life she had known was destroyed. She had been grievously wounded and if it were not for Mika, the story that was Mov would have ended like so many others in the city of Multner. How many were lost in Multner was unknown. It had been four days so far since Mika and Mov were in the city. Very few had been seen in those four days and those that Mika met, could only give vague answers about the condition of the city. One thing Mika did know for sure, that the orcs were besieging Foxworth Keep. But besieging well defended areas were not known to be a regular practice among the orcs. They were known to go after targets that took relatively little effort to subdue. A keep, Castle, or Outpost would be things that the orcs would avoid. But here was a prime example of the one thing they should not be doing and yet they were. So what was it that was causing them to do this?
Mika thought for a long time, searching his memories. The only thing that he kept coming back to was that something was pushing the orcs to attack the keep. It had to be something they feared… something that they knew would lead to a victory… or something that made them believe was worth the effort that they were expending.
Mika looked at Mov, at one time he believed she could think like them. However, the sow she had entered into the fair showed that there was something more to her than the kin that attacked Multner. He had to be honest with himself. That believe had long since faded before the fair. The sow was just another nail in the coffin to that line of thinking.

His pipe smoke circled around him as his mind wandered. He couldn’t tell Mov the truth, or as he believed it. Even if they left today and found enough help to fight back the orc horde at Arabel, by the time that help arrived at Multner, it would be all over anyway. He also knew that there was no help coming from Tilverton. Thultanthar had seen to that. There was no help coming from Tilverton now. He doubted Multner would see the end of spring. There was a sadness in that thought. He had found a home at Multner. It was a beautiful place. It was a place he knew that he could finally allow himself to grow old in… and let time see his final days. Something told him now, that the God, Helm, had other plans for him.
His blood ran cold for some reason. He really had home his days of violence had finally come to an end. Silently, he cursed Helm to himself. ‘Why…? Why can’t I just be done?’
He grimaced at the thought. He had never cursed his own beloved god before today. But he knew that so many were lost without reason over the last four days.
It was then that he realized something. It was something odd but he had already been intending on doing something about these orcs before he realized it. Maybe it was his training. Maybe Helm was guiding him. Or Maybe it was Kelemvor, Lord of the Dead. Neither of which gave any comfort.
He looked back at Mov, “There is not a whole lot we can do now. I’m old … and you’re not a fighter, let alone wounded.” He paused for a moment, silently thinking to himself. “I think the best thing to do is first make our way to Dunbar Hill to get an idea of the state of the city. I am sure the keep still stands but the city has obviously fallen. I just want to see it for my own eyes. Then, we can make our way to your farm.”
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 28 posts
Sun 27 Jan 2019
at 17:48
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 56):

Mov frowned, "Then let us go, when it's doable. Sitting around won't help anything.." She sat up, as though ready for action, wincing as she realized she really was not ready. "I surely don;t want to just sit here when we could be helping, injured or not." Her fist hit her palm with a satisfying thud as she spoke, "Tell me what we must first do, and we will work together."
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 32 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Mon 28 Jan 2019
at 02:48
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 57):

Mika took a long puff from his pipe as he stared into the flames in the hearth. He was quiet for a long time as he thought about how to go about getting the information he wanted with as little risk as possible. After what seemed like a long time, he tapped his pipe out, stood and walked over to one of the chests along the wall. Out he took a heavy blue wool blanket and tossed it to Mov.
“Back to bed with you. You are going to need your rest. I will wake you early in the morning.” He pulled a couple of packs out of the chest as well, rifling through the contents.  He set them down on the ground and reached out and pulled out a broad sword before continue, “Go on. I’ll wake you. I promise.”
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 33 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Mon 28 Jan 2019
at 03:53
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 58):

It was dark in the Mika’s room. A small candle near on an end table near the bed gave the only light in the room. There was a low glow through the doorway from the main room. His hand rested on Mov’s good shoulder and then he slowly shook her awake, “Mov, it’s time.”
When she woke, he stood and walked back out into the main room. There was a warm fire in the hearth and fresh bacon, cheese and bread on a wooden plate on the table. Next to the food was a broadsword. The scabbard had brass bands wrapping around a light-colored wood. The pommel of the sword had a brass ring at the end. The metal was well polished and the wood was well maintained. Next to the sword was a small matching dagger. On the chair in front of the food, was a set of armor that was covered with small scales. They were once painted green but the small green scales were scratched and tarnished. Although the armor was old and battered, it still looked serviceable. Heavy leather boots sat near the foot of the chair. One the couch where she had sat before, were two traveling packs with bedrolls.
Mika was dressed in metal armor that looked like bands of metal were sewn together. The armor, once polished, looked like it had been stained darker with charcoal. Hanging on his hip was another sword wrapped with a black velvet scabbard. He also wore heavy leather boots. He walked near the front door to where several heavy wool cloaks hung on pegs. He immediately took one that was a dark blue with a red stripe near the bottom and wrapped it around himself. He picked up a second and eyed Mov with it. Shaking his head, he put the cloak back on one of the wooden pegs and pulled off another dark green one with red leaf stitching at the hem. Placing the cloak on the table near the sword, he told Mov to eat quickly. He picked up a pitcher off the table and poured warm milk into a ceramic cup before placing it next to the food he had set aside for her. “When you are finished eating, get dressed and put that on,” he explained pointing to the armor and sword.
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 29 posts
Fri 1 Feb 2019
at 23:10
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 59):

She nodded, seating herself as she applied herself to the food. It was simple, sturdy food, fortifying but unimaginative. She ate automatically, wolfing down large bites between swigs of milk - but with a closed mouth as she chewed. Her mother taught how to eat, after all. She always chided her for wolfing down her food to fast though. She paused in her repast, frowning at the thought of her mother. Her eyes darted towards Mika a moment before looking back at her food.
"I don't suppose you've heard about survivors?" She crammed a bit of bread wrapped around a hunk of bacon and cheese and chewed with strong teeth. All too soon she finished her meal, taking up the armor next, holding it up as though to inspect it.

She was unused to the weight, but managed to shrug it on and take in the sensation of wearing armor. Her sore shoulder ached as she worked her arm through the hole. The very real gravity of their situation was coming home to her finally. Whatever they'd end up doing, was for real, no games. This wasn't like when she'd been a child, playing that ageless game all children play; at battling the monsters of lore and legend. In those games, no one really died. The heroes always triumphed. She was usually the monster, but now and then, she got to smite the foe. The memory made her give a half smirk.

She took up the boots, sliding them on and finding them serviceable - they weren't so worn as to be useless, but not too snug to be a hindrance. Her feet were her mother's bane in her youth - always so large. She'd always attributed that to her orcish heritage. She moved back to the table, taking up the cloak, holding it up as she tried to swish it around her shoulders the way Mika had, she succeeded, though.. awkwardly. She felt every inch the fool.

What are you playing at? you're a farmer. She thought sourly to herself as she approached the table again, taking up the sheathed weapon with two hands. It too, was heavier than she was prepared for. "Do I wear it? or just carry it?" She asked plainly, there would be no use in putting on airs of experience here.
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 34 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sat 2 Feb 2019
at 20:43
Story I
Mika watched her put on the armor, boots and cloak. He eyed her with skepticism. Was she capable of what they were going to do? Mika didn’t really know. He watched her grow from a child to the woman she is today. She was proud but humble in her own sort of way. She knew her strength could hurt someone and worked at being as gentle as she could, people go hurt if you did not know your own strength. She knew her strength.  Unfortunately, he was going to need her to set her gentleness aside and be a brute if things did not go well in the coming days.
He let out a sigh and walked over to stand in front of her. She yanked on the armor at her shoulders to shift it into place properly. He then took her weapon from her and fit it to a couple of loops on her left side. He looked up at her, “I hope you are right handed. You can’t put a weapon on the right side with this armor.” He then turned and picked up the dagger and kneeled in front of her and slid the dagger into her boot, scabbard down.
He then stood walked over and picked up one of the traveling packs and swung it around onto his back. “The other one is yours. You will find spare clothes, flint and steel with fire starter, bread and dried meat along with a waterskin. You will also find a whetstone for your weapons along with a bedroll.” He picked up a leather quiver with a dozen arrows and a bow, handing it to her. “Hang the quiver from the pommel of your saddle and slide the bow in the side pocket of the quiver.”
Before he disappeared out the front door of his home, he mentioned, “Once you have your things, meet me out front. I will get the horses.”
Mov Shovelbender
 player, 30 posts
Sun 3 Feb 2019
at 22:34
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 61):

His skepticism wasn't masked, and it made Mov nod numbly as he left.He wasn't outwardly rude, but she could see it - he wasn't sure she was up to the task. And really, she was a farmer first. She'd not trained with weapons - that time with the shovel didn't count. Though if that damn fool came at her again with a shovel, he'd be the one with the broken nose. The thought made her smirk darkly as she took up the dagger left for her on the table. She tucked it away in her belt, noting it was heavier than her little work knife. I'm sort of familiar with smaller blades at least, not a total waste of time, right? right. She went to the door, noting through the window beside it that Mika had two horses outside, each saddled and prepared for travel. Both were unremarkable in the darkness of the morning - the moonlight didn't lend much in the way of color or markings on either animal.

She gathered her bow and arrows, finding them far larger than what she hunted rabbits with - these were enough to bring down a man. Or an orc. With practice of course. She opened the door, exiting into the early morning. She was familiar with horses; having always had at least one on the farm she shared with her mother. She kept her voice low as she approached Mika, "Which shall I go with?" She was prepared to approach either animal cautiously - not all horses were friendly, and kept herself in plain view of both animals. She knew enough not to shover herself into the space of a huge animal with teeth and hooves to break bones. One injury is enough thanks. She thought.
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 35 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Sun 3 Feb 2019
at 23:43
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 62):

Mika was tending to the horses when Mov came outside. The air was calm and smelled of the earth as a full moon lit up the outside world in a dim eerie light. A large wooden barn about fifty feet north shadowed much of the small yard. A simple fencing lined the property with a gap wide enough for a wagon and led south. In the distance, Mov could see the shadows of several hills.

Both of the horses were well cared for and well fed. One, a sleek black and stood a hand higher than the other, a tarnished brown with a blonde mane that hung down along its neck. Both saddles had seen man years of service but they too, were well taken care of. The larger black horse, it mane braided down the line of its neck, snorted at Mov as she approached.
“Easy boy.” Mika said as he reassured the large animal. “She is a friend. Do not worry.” He turned to look at Mov as the massive animal nuzzled Mika’s hand. “This is Mandarb. He is bonded to me and won’t let anyone else ride him, “he explained with pride in his voice. “The other is Stepper. She is not as strong as him but she is as dependable as she is beautiful.”
He handed Steppers reigns to Mov before he climbed up onto the back of Mandarb who stood as still as stone. He waited for Mov to mount Stepper before riding slowly out the main entry and down the road.
When Mov caught up, he spoke quietly as to not disturb the night calm, “We have about r hours before the sun breaks the horizon. I hope to be on Dunbar Hill by then. From there, we should get an idea of the state of Multner. “

Mov and Mika rode on for a while before Mika called strop. Stepper stamped uneasily as they stopped. She snorted for a moment as Mika stared at Stepper and then to Mov. He put a finger to his mouth as if to say ‘Shhhh…’ Mandard stood like iron, his breathing quiet as if he had done this a thousand times before. After a short period of time, strange glutaral languages could heard up ahead.


Yine devriye sıkışmış! Bu saçmalıktan bıktım.

Evet, birinin 'Migo' tarafını bıçaklaması gerekiyor.

Sesini kes, seni aptal!

The voices faded after a time before Mika resumed again. But it wasn’t long before Mika and Mov could hear them again. And again, Mika silently called a stop. This time, the noise up ahead moved off to the right. When Mika resumed, they continued up a round that lead away from the voiced up ahead.

The terrain continued to get a little steeper through out the rest of the night. The trees around them thinned out until they finally crested a small bluff on a hill.

“Alright,” announced Mika. “Let’s tie the horses to that tree over there so they can relax. Mika let Mandarb to an old oak surrounded with large tufts of grass. He tied the reigns to a low hanging branch and set hit pack against the trunk  of the tree.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:46, Sun 03 Feb 2019.

Mov Shovelbender
 player, 31 posts
Wed 13 Feb 2019
at 22:51
Story I
In reply to The Dark Tzar (msg # 63):

She held her breath a moment, trying very hard to follow Mika's directions. As the words filtered through the night, she tilted her head, catching brief snatches. Should she say something? Her eyes darted over to Mika, who was listening intently.

He probably knows what they said. She thought to herself, but thought again. What if he didn't? Would it be useful to share that she understood a few words? She tied her horse near Mandarb, giving Mika's horse a wide berth in case it was nippy - some horses bonded to their riders could be that way.

She picked up a twist of dried grass from near the tree and rubbed Stepper down, knowing that a horse could benefit from this most basic of care. "They sounded grouchy. The orcs." She spoke as she rubbed down the animal's leg, "I am glad we didn't have to run into them." Mov gave a breathy snort-laugh. "I don't think I'll be as lucky as the first time."
The Dark Tzar
 GM, 36 posts
 Insanity begins with you.
 Let the Story play on.
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 14:36
Story I
In reply to Mov Shovelbender (msg # 64):

“Luck?” snorted Mika as he was fishing around in his saddle bags. He pulled out two round copper tubes with glass in each end. “I would not call almost getting killed with an orc arrow in the back lucky.”
He walked over to a small clearing facing and crouched down for a moment, setting his back down next to him. He motioned Mov over and handed her one of the small copper tubes. The metal was smooth with a couple of small ‘dings’ along the surface. Inside each end of the copper tube, was an aged glass disc. Silently he spoke, “Looking glasses. Have a look.”
He held up the tube to his eye and looked through it. “We should be able to see Multner from here.”