Pixie Proving Grounds.   Posted by Harbinger of Doom.Group: 0
Wolf Pack
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 02:20
Pixie Proving Grounds
Your bullet lodges itself deep into the neck of the wolf as it yelped in pain, blood matting it's fur. Still it and it's remaining pack mate lept into the air, their jaws snapping shut on empty air.





22:04, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Zeta, rolled 10,16 using 1d20+3,1d20+3.

22:04, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Beta, rolled 6,13 using 1d20+3,1d20+3.  Jump Attack.


Clover Nightshade
 player, 10 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 02:48
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Wolf Pack (msg # 19):

I take a deep and silent breath from my hiding spot, looking at my small amount of bullets remaining with mounting concern, before firing bullet number 6 at the injured wolf.

22:43, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 10 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

22:43, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d3.  Damage.

22:43, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 4 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

22:42, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 23 using 1d20+15.  Hide.


And fly behind the pillar to the south and attempt to hide.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:24, Tue 12 June 2018.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 8 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 13:02
Pixie Proving Grounds
You lean over the edge and let fly another bullet, but this time it rebounds off the ground harmlessly. The wolves too, leap into the air, and one of their jaws snaps shut so close to your face it brushes your nose.

Map unchanged
Clover Nightshade
 player, 11 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 14:19
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 21):

With a distinctly unladlylike curse that gives me some satisfaction to know will offend Crystal, I launch my 7th bullet in to injured wolf and fly for the pillar to the south to hide behind it.


10:16, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 21 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

10:15, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 3 using 1d3.  Damage.

10:15, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 19 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 9 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 15:20
Pixie Proving Grounds
Roll a perception check DC 10, and an Intelligence check DC 10.
Clover Nightshade
 player, 12 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 16:16
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 23):

12:15, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 15 using 1d20+4.  Intelligence.

12:15, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 18 using 1d20+7.  Spot.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 10 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 17:30
Pixie Proving Grounds
As Crystal's voice rings out in an admonishing tone, "Is that profanity REALLY necessary?" you arrive behind the Southern Pillar, seeing the corpse of the Pack Leader with the vial in his collar. A vial you recognize as a healing draught (2d4+3 HP). The wolves are hot on your trail, baying as they charge towards you.

You can grab the vial, but you'll be attacked, and you won't have time to drink it (standard action).

Or you can continue to hide behind the pillar and continue attacking them as you have been... hoping that they don't leap up and take a bite out of you before you take the next one down.

Or... you can try anything else you can think of, but you know the wolves will be on you in 5, 4, 3....


OOC: Just giving you some food for thought. Will update the map when you decide what you are doing...
Clover Nightshade
 player, 13 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 18:07
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 25):

I feel a surge of satisfaction at hearing Crystal's words which gives me some energy despite my pain from my injuries. I glance longingly at the healing draught but know that it would be an impossible risk with two wolves still alive. I fire my 8th bullet into the injured wolf and fly around the same pillar to break the line of their sight so I can attempt to hide again.


13:59, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 23 using 1d20+15. Hide.

13:58, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 15 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

13:58, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d3.  Damage.

13:58, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 11 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 20:06
Pixie Proving Grounds
As you hide behind the pillar, you notice that there is only 1 wolf remaining, and lopes up cautiously, and while it seems to be able to smell your general vicinity, it doesn't actually see you.

You wait until just the right moment, and unleash a stone at the wolf which manages to lodge between its ribs, causing it to yelp and pain. You lose it as you fly to the other side of the pillar as it begins to stalk you, not leaving the pillar as it still seems to know you haven't left the area thanks to its keen sense of smell.




1. Did the 7th bullet hit with a 21?
Yes

2. If it did, is the wolf dead yet?
Yes

3. If it is dead can you please change the targeting to the last wolf?
I did

4. Was my hide successful? If not negate the sneak attack damage please.
Yes, although the wolves have an ability called "scent", where if they are within 5 to 60 feet of a creature, they are aware of it. Within 5 feet they can actually pinpoint where you are. So, because you've been hiding at the top of the pillars, they know in general where you are.

In order to lose the wolf, you'd have to fly away from it further than it can follow (you'd notice they have a speed of 40), break line of sight to hide, and then move half speed once hidden to move to a new location. If you did that, it would follow to where it last saw you, and if it failed its spot, wouldn't really be able to smell you unless you were within range of its scent ability. Even if it passed its spot though, you could still be too far away from it for it to be able to attack you.

That being said, just always roll your sneak attack damage. I'll include it or exclude it depending on what happens. :)





Clover Nightshade
 player, 14 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 20:33
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 27):

My confidence kicks in as I see the second wolf drop and I unleash my 8th bullet into the remaining wolf as I make plans to heal myself quickly before the next round. As soon as it is loosed, I fly for the pillar to the top left and try to hide once again.


16:27, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 25 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

16:26, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 1 using 1d3.  Damage.

16:26, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

16:25, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 20 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 12 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 21:25
Pixie Proving Grounds
The wolf once again yelps in pain as you lash out with your stone, leaping and snapping at you, but as it comes down it's clearly favoring it's left side as it gives chase. With your greater speed you easily out pace it, but it follows you and waits, circling the base of the pillar, growling menacingly.




Clover Nightshade
 player, 15 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 22:21
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 29):

I give my 9th bullet a quick kiss before firing it at the wolf. He seems pretry weak so I'm really hoping this one will finish him off. As soon as I fire I fly to the pillar where the body of the largest of is and I hide once more just in case the wolf is stronger than I thought but I prepare myself to fly down and grab the healing potion the moment it drops. (OOC: Not a prepared action just rp effect lol)


18:15, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 29 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

18:14, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 3 using 1d3.  Damage.

18:13, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 1 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

18:11, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 20 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 13 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 23:13
Pixie Proving Grounds
You bury your 9th bullet into the wolf's throat, and it gurgles a whimpering growl as it breathes it's last. You breathe a sigh of relief, until Crystal's voice fills the arena once more.

"I suppose you just barely managed to survive the puppy attack... so you have a little time to lounge around before you face your 2nd challenge." she says with a mischevious giggle... likely twirling her finger around a lock of her hair idly.

The question remains, from which of the 2 gates will your challenge come from... and what form will that challenge take? Bleeding, out in the open, you realize that this was just the beginning...



OOC: That looks like a natural 20... if it is, roll to confirm the crit. If you "hit" again, you get to do 2 or 3 times your damage. Yes, that includes your sneak attack dmg too.

That being said, it's JUST enough to get him unconscious, so you have 6 rounds to prep for the next wave!

Post it however you'd like, but I need 6 standard and move actions from you basically.

Clover Nightshade
 player, 16 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 01:36
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 31):


19:16, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 17 using 1d20+9.  Confirm Critical.


I chuckle inwardly at Crystal's passive aggressive attempts to derail me because I have spent years learning how to irk her right back. I fly down to the largest wolf's body and down the healing drought as I begin to sing jauntily.

20:28, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 7 using 2d4+3.  Healing Potion.


Once there was a maiden fair with locks of golden hair;

A saintly lass, no man could pass to win her virtue rare.


Feeling so much better, I add a little dance to my song as I flit about and gather the other two healing potions, tucking them away somewhere as accessible as I can get.


One day, while walking in the woods, she came upon a troll,

with dick so large she had to sigh and ask him for a roll;


Once the potions are safely tucked away, I start searching for stones to replace my bullets (2 rounds) as my song continues...

20:25, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 4 using 1d10+2.  Finding Stones.


He gazed upon her laying there spread like a golden flower,

as she cooed at him to draw him near with all her wanton power.

The troll was wise as he saw her prize, his pants he would not doff;

For if he fucked this frosty bitch, his dick would freeze right off.

The troll took pity on her though, this fair and saintly lass;

He filled his lungs, and kissed her lips, and blew it out her ass.


I finish by bending over and smacking my ass before going into hiding atop the top right pillar and attempting to discretely keep an eye on both gates.


20:26, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 33 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Winged Creature
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 21:01
Pixie Proving Grounds
Bonus 50XP for the great lymerick. :p

Also, your size has been updated to be more appropriate, the wolves were bigger than you... and so is this creature. If you want to identify it, you'll need to make a Knowledge Arcana.

It seems that Crystal has unleashed a form of revenge with her next choice of a trial opponent.


You could almost feel a simmering anger permeate the arena but Crystal remains silent as you have a laugh at her expense. Once you are hidden, however, she does speak up, as both gates begin to open.

"I don't know WHY you feel the need to be so... vulgar Clover. You must think you're so very funny... but you're just a fool. Always have been, and always will... which is why you have no chance at passing this test. Your lack of tact... well it only makes you weaker." she says huffily, as a creature begins to step through one of the open gates.

You don't have a hard time discerning from where it's coming from, as a hoof and a bird's claw step into the arena. Its avian head looks around before letting a defiant screech that resounds through the arena, it's imposing feline frame moving gracefully as it sniffs the air... searching for prey.

With a girlish giggle, you hear crystal say, "I don't hear you laughing now Clover. I don't know why the look on your face is priceless!"

And as you look at the imposing creature, it's true... you don't feel like laughing...



It extends its wings and with a leap, it's airborne as it begins to circle the arena...

16:48, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Winged Creature, rolled 21 using 1d20+8.  Spot VS 33.

Only to swoop swiftly down onto the first wolf you felled, sniffing it carefully before putting an avian claw on and tearing through meat and bone as if it were nothing...

For now, it seems you remain hidden, but you see that it quickly and easily swooped from the East Entrance to the center of the arena... as if the distance were nothing for it to cross. It seems like, while it's a clumsier flier than you, it's still faster. While it couldn't outmaneuver you, it could easily overtake you, and it seems to be able to RUN as fast as you can fly.


Clover Nightshade
 player, 17 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 21:56
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Winged Creature (msg # 33):

I stare at the creature, trying to put aside my anger so that I can remember my studies. I know I must have studied something about this creature but they taught me so much useless crap...

17:47, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 27 using 1d20+8.  Knowledge Arcana.

This just confirms what a bitch Crystal is that she would send something like this for my trial. Silver linings though, all the more glory for me when I pass a test so much harder than hers. Maybe I was onto something here...

I fire my bullet (1/5) at the creature and dive into the deepest crack I can find for cover.


17:54, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 21 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

17:54, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 1 using 1d3.  Damage.

17:53, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

Clover Nightshade
 player, 18 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 22:07
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Clover Nightshade (msg # 34):

18:06, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 17 using 1d20+15.  Hide.
Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 14 posts
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 15:20
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
The stone catches the eating Hippogriff squarely on the side of the head, bouncing off of it as it draws a drop of blood. It's gaze snaps right to your position at the top of the pillar, even as you scramble into a deep crevice on the other side.

With a screech and the flapping of its wings, it soars over the top, pulling off a wingover as it lands before facing your hiding place and swiping at it with one avian claw - it's head eye-level with your hiding place. But even if it weren't, you know that it's keen sense of smell would have helped it suss out your location with as close as it landed.

The claw scrapes away some rock and rubble, and you figure a few more attacks like that, and you'll have no place left to hide. What's worse, in the tight space, there's no room for you to use your sling. Ranged attack from this close would mean an AOO for the Hippogriff. Tight quarters would be a -4 even if you want to brave it. Don't forget, next round, it gets a full attack on you (2 claws and a bite). Are you familiar with the Withdraw action, or how to use Tumble? I'm assuming you are, but this is a dangerous fight, so I want to make sure you are aware of all your options. :)


</quote>
Clover Nightshade
 player, 19 posts
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 13:50
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 36):

I tumble out of the groove, trying to avoid beak and claws and use diversion tactics to feign heading to the pillar to the south while I actually head to the bottom right pillar and hide.


09:50, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 19 using 1d20+8.  Tumble.

09:49, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 25 using 1d20+7.  Bluff.

09:48, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 33 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 15 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2018
at 18:46
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
As the hippogriff sticks its beak into the crevice you managed to wedge yourself into, you place a dimunitive hand on its beak, tumbling onto its head before flying straight down behind it as you teasingly run a finger along it's back. It screeches in rage as it snatches impotently at the air where you were, practically flipping itself over to get at you as you dive in between its legs and the fly high towards the pillar to the right, hiding behind it before skimming the ground to the pillar at the bottom right and hiding there.

Sure enough, the hippogriff races to the other pillar and circles it, sniffing at the air before looking south... in your direction.

You have evaded it, but it seems to have caught your scent, and it's now intent on tracking you down, like a cat hunting a mouse.

Albeit, a mouse that can fly.



Sorry it took me so long!
Clover Nightshade
 player, 20 posts
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 21:25
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 38):

I launch my second stone (2/5) at the creature from my hiding spot and fly to the pillar to the left, breaking sight so I can attempt to hide again.

17:18, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 26 using 1d20+9.  Attack.
17:19, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d3.  Damage.
17:19, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 5 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.
17:20, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 30 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 16 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2018
at 17:03
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
The stone impacts the creature, hitting it in a sensitive area in its neck, and blood begins to pour freely as it launches itself at the area where the Pixie was, craning its neck back and forth in search for Clover, turning it's head and sniffing towards her newest hiding place.



Sorry it took me so long!
Clover Nightshade
 player, 21 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2018
at 19:48
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 40):

I let out a soft silent sigh of relief, seeing that I seem to have lost the creature for the moment anyways. I take very careful steady aim as it searches for me at the other pillar and launch my third (3/5) stone at the beast. The moment my stone is launched I fly for the top right pillar and attempt to hide once again. I know this strategy is slow and risky but I know it is my only chance in this fight.

15:33, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 22 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

15:33, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 1 using 1d3.  Damage.

15:32, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 3 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

15:31, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 24 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 17 posts
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 19:33
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
The stone impacts the creature, hitting it in a sensitive area in its neck, and blood begins to pour freely as it launches itself at the area where the Pixie was, craning its neck back and forth in search for Clover, turning it's head and sniffing towards her newest hiding place, but this time, it seems more cautious, as if prepared for the next attack.



Sorry it took me so long!

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:25, Mon 03 Sept 2018.

Clover Nightshade
 player, 22 posts
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 04:34
Re: Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 42):

I use my bluff skill to make the creature think I have flown for the bottom right pillar while I actually fly towards the corpse lying at the base of the top right pillar and I conceal myself in the goriest part of the body, covering myself in its gore and scent in the process.

00:33, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 30 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

00:33, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 14 using 1d20+12.  Move Silent.

00:32, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 15 using 1d20+7.  Bluff.