Pixie Proving Grounds.   Posted by Harbinger of Doom.Group: 0
Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 2 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 13:47
Pixie Proving Grounds
Game Map found here: Link back to this game

The sand below your feet seems as if it is stained by centuries of blood from the dead and dying warriors that have trod that path before you. Safely hovering above ground, you stare at the iron bars in front of you, uncertain as to what your first challenge will be. You were told you'd face three challenges, whether that was meant all at once, or wave after wave of enemies, you have no idea.

However you are certain of this - death is real. The Elders would never allow for a graduation to be complete if the cycle of nature was not represented.

And so, as the doors lift, the ancient metal creaking and groaning under the weight of the massive doors that separated you from danger, you get a first glimpse at what you will be facing.

Three wolves, one larger than the rest, cautiously enter from the other-side of the field. You smirk a little, perhaps this challenge would be a piece of cake after all...

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:18, Thu 07 June 2018.

Clover Nightshade
 player, 1 post
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 16:47
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 1):

"Wolves? Seriously?" I mumble to the air, apparently, with my fists on my hips. "Show up for archery practice drunk on elderberry wine one time and suddenly they don't take you seriously any more. It isn't like I MEANT to shoot the teacher in the ass!"

I sigh as I pull out my sling and bullets and prepare for the so-called 'challenge' by flying into the arena towards the wolves, hovering about 15' in the air.
Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 3 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 16:55
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Clover Nightshade (msg # 2):

Groovy, so let me know the following:

Free:This is things like speaking, dropping something, etc.
Standard:What do you do with this action?
Move:You have a walk of 20 and a fly of 60. Flying up 15 either up or diagonally will eat up some of your forward movement.
Swift:This is for other things, like spells and maneuvers

Also, feel free to choose a speaking color for your speech under "styled text".
Clover Nightshade
 player, 2 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 17:04
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 3):

I fly up 15' and forward 45' towards the largest wolf and load my sling.
Wolf Pack
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 17:15
Pixie Proving Grounds
You unleash a stone (how many of these do you have? - 10, correct?), but it bounces harmlessly off the ground of the arena floor next to the largest wolf. The wolves run as a pack towards you, and they begin to circle around the pillars. The pillars are only about 7 feet high, but they are big enough that wolves can gain cover from your aerial attack. These wolves are seemingly seasoned ambush hunters, perhaps they are more than they seem?


Roll a spot check to see the wolves. Also, please post your rolls and color them orange so that they are easy to see. :) Or you can make them "private" and I'll be the only one able to see them.


Clover Nightshade
 player, 3 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 17:41
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Wolf Pack (msg # 5):

I hide myself amongst the pillars seeing that the mutts aren't as stupid as I thought and focus on trying to spot the nearest one.

I hold my action for when one comes within range on my bullet.

13:31, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 16 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

13:29, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 26 using 1d20+7.  Spot.

13:38, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 25 using 1d20+9.  Shoot.

13:54, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 1 using 1d3.  Damage.

13:58, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 5 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack.



This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Thu 07 June 2018.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 4 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 18:36
Pixie Proving Grounds
You easily see all three wolves and head for a free pillar, pressing yourself against it waiting for the wolves to come into range.

The largest wolf moves forward, seemingly communicating silently in the ways that wolves on the hunt do, as he stalks towards where you were last seen. As he moves forward you unleash a stone with impressive accuracy, and he yelps in pain, the stone lodged deep in his haunch as it bleeds freely.

But in launching your attack you gave your position away, and the wolves charge towards your position, leaping over the pillar to attack you. The largest wolf is eye level with you when his jaws snap, just inches from your face as you barely dodge away. The second actually leaps over you, and its jaws snap shut on empty air as you easily evade. The last wolf also leaps, but falls short, it's fangs mere inches from your feet as it lands.

OOC: Map Updated. :)
Clover Nightshade
 player, 4 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 18:49
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 7):

Eeewww dog breath.

I say with a giggle as I launch another stone (2nd used) into the injured wolf and dart away to hide behind the same pillar.


14:41, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 23 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

14:41, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d3.  Damage.

14:43, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 5 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack?

14:44, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 33 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Wolf Pack
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 20:08
Pixie Proving Grounds
Your stone thwacks the lead wolf in the nose, and he yelps again, though you can tell it was only a glancing blow. The wolves circle around the base of the pillar, sniffing the air. They seem aware that you are up there, though you are certain the crack you managed to squeeze into makes you practically invisible.

Their they sit, poised beneath you, ready to spring as soon as you reveal yourself.




You need to catch them flat-footed for a sneak attack... so either if they have fallen prone, if you bluff them (takes 2 rounds), or if they are surprised (because you hid and then attacked from hiding, or something along those lines.
Clover Nightshade
 player, 5 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 20:21
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Wolf Pack (msg # 9):

I feign darting out of my concealment to fly to the pillar to the left (so top left)while I actually fly back around to the other side of my pillar to hide yet again.

16:19, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 9 using 1d20+7.  Bluff.
16:19, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 26 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Wolf Pack
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 20:29
Pixie Proving Grounds
As soon as you leave your purchase, the wolves (interrupting your turn) leap into the air, attempting to bring you down. The big one that you had been striking at leaps first, and seems on target to get you, but it falls far short, as does the second wolf.

The third however, takes advantage of your tricky maneuver, and its jaws sink into your leg.

15:58, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Zeta, rolled 15,22 using 1d20+3,1d20+3. Jump Attack.

Jump and attack hit AC of 22, so even with the advantage you would have gotten with your bluff, it would have still hit.

16:01, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Zeta, rolled 5 using 1d6+1.  Bite dmg.

Take 5 dmg


What's worse, the wolf doesn't let go, and attempts to bring you down to the ground!

16:01, Today: Harbinger of Doom, for the NPC Zeta, rolled 10 using 1d20+1. Trip Attack.

Dex VS DC 10 Trip or be prone!

Pass or fail, you have your move and standard actions that you can take. Map remains unchanged, except that you would be on the ground if you fail, and if you succeed you managed to escape it's jaws and are about 7 feet off the ground (same height as the pillar).


Clover Nightshade
 player, 6 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 20:47
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Wolf Pack (msg # 11):

I squeal in pain and twist out of the animal's jaws to escape the grab and fly straight up 22 feet (29 total off the ground)then shoot the injured wolf again (3rd bullet used)



16:37, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 22 using 1d20+10.  Escape Artist.
16:45, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 27 using 1d20+9.  Attack.
16:45, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 2 using 1d3.  Damage.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 5 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 01:39
Pixie Proving Grounds
"Now, now, Clover, that's cheating." an annoyingly prim, high pitched voice admonished, it's familiar tone sending a chill down your spine.

Crystal Morning-Glory.

Of all the Paladins they had to put in charge of your Graduation trial... The Elders picked Crystal?

Graduation was a special time amongst the Pixies. It represented that a pixie was free to travel as they pleased. That they had learned enough to deserve the consequences of their choices. There were other tests that she had passed, but the test of combat was one that she had chosen. It was one that few Pixies took, even fewer survived, and resulted in either great respect or even fame.

The last one to pass such a trial Crystal "I'm the best at everything" Morning-Glory, paladin of Oberon and Titania.

OOC: You have gained: Childhood Rival. Come up with 3 confrontations that represent why this NPC is everything Clover thinks should die in a fire. :p Write them as flashbacks if you'd like.

You had your own reasons why you wanted to pass the trials... and those would be interesting to read about as well.

But this was no time to walk down the memory hellscape, because Crystal was too busy ruining your life once again.

"The next wave of opponents will arrive in 1 minute. Healing potions can be found on defeat opponents." she said, confirming a mystery.

Your trial consisted of three waves of enemies.

And while the Alpha wolf was pretty badly injured... it wasn't out of the fight. However, you do notice that each wolf has a collar, with a vial attached to it.

Map remains unchanged really. You're too high for the wolves to get to... for the moment. But you also now have 12 rounds before a new enemy enters the arena. :p
Clover Nightshade
 player, 7 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 02:47
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 13):

Crystal? Seriously? That uptight, stick up her ass, always sucking up to the elders bitch was the last thing I needed right now, like she knew anything about 'fair'. Was it 'fair' that she was the granddaughter of the chief elder and had always had everything handed to her on a plate? Was it 'fair' that no matter how hard I worked, Crystal was always just a little bit faster, just a little bit better, and always a lot more popular?

I know she knew exactly what she was doing when she invited everyone to come to a party at her house on MY second birthday and of course everyone went because she had all the coolest stuff and promised everyone all the sweets they could eat. Like she couldn't have celebrated passing her first trial any other day. She just wanted to steal any attention from me. She always hated it when she wasn't the centre of attention.

Then there was Thorn...my first love and the only guy I ever really liked. She never showed any interest in him until he asked me out. She couldn't stand that any guy wouldn't go drooling after her so she just wouldn't be satisfied till she stole him from me. When I caught them kissing I knew I would hate her for the rest of my life.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, she had to choose the test of combat. She had never even showed any real interest in combat until she saw that I was actually better than her at something for once. That was when she suddenly took an interest and was able to buy time with all the best trainers. Her taking the test of combat was the last dig she had to take at me, making sure that anything I did after her would once again pale by comparison...

Now she was in charge of MY test? This was the last straw. The sound of her voice was like pouring gasoline on the flame of my anger and I looked down at the three wolves and saw her face on each of them. Shit was about to get real...

With a growl of annoyance I feign a diversion so that I can fly to the pillar to the south and hide behind it.

22:45, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 16 using 1d20+7.  Bluff.

22:44, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 35 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:51, Fri 08 June 2018.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 6 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 03:38
Pixie Proving Grounds
Nice. 150 XP for great RP!


Remember, the pillars are 7 feet tall.


As you take off to the South, the wolves give chase, barking as they take off, but you are much faster, and you lose them as you swoop behind the pillar and tuck yourself into a pixie sized crack at the top, still within range of a jump and a bite.

The wolves circle the base, sniffing the air. They seem aware of your general direction and prepare themselves again.
Clover Nightshade
 player, 8 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 12:41
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 15):

I shoot my 4th bullet at the injured wolf and dart away diagonally across the field to hide behind the top left pillar, trying my best to get them off my trail.

08:40, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 13 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

08:40, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 3 using 1d3.  Damage.

08:39, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 16 using 1d20+7.  Bluff.

08:39, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 19 using 1d20+15.  Hide.

Harbinger of Doom
 GM, 7 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 17:41
Pixie Proving Grounds
Flying up and back over the pillar you launch a sling bullet at the Pack Leader, surprising him as the tiny bullet imbeds itself deep in his eye. The other wolves howl in anguish and give chase, but with your faster speed you are able to secure yourself amongst the carvings on the other side of the new pillar. The wolves begin to approach the pillar, but more cautiously than before, as they tense and ready to pounce. They seem to know you are in the vicinity of the pillar, but are uncertain as to where exactly you might spring from next.

Still, neither of these wolves has felt the sting of your bullets, and with 6 left and more enemies on the way, blood pouring down your leg... things aren't looking good.

So... you're doing GREAT! I'm making this challenging, but I'm pretty sure you got the wolf fight, and it's a great intro into some of the tactical stuff your character needs to think of. So in that spirit, some housekeeping for you.

Hiding is a part of your move action, which you can do as long as you have concealment. So, when you move to the other side of the pillar (breaking their line of sight), you can hide... but enemies will obviously know where you were last seen. There are other ways, like items and spells, and special abilities, which will also grant you concealment. Once you get Greater Invisibility at 5th, this is going to be brain-dead easy for you.

Bluff, used as a standard action, will leave an enemy flat-footed. If you take improved feint, you can use it as a move action, but that doesn't really allow for ambush tactics like you're doing in this fight.

But for now, what you are doing, shooting and moving, that's giving you the best chance at minimizing the number of attacks you face. As it is, my wolves are readying attack actions for when you reveal yourself.

It MIGHT be possible for you to negate these attacks if you can fly away and attacking them from behind on your next turn... but these wolves seem to be able to SMELL you too... even if they can't spot you with your crazy high hide check. :p

There are feats like "shot on the run", etc., which will make you more maneuverable in a fight, but for now, you're doing great. Hope that some of this is helping you and giving you ideas. :p



Clover Nightshade
 player, 9 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 18:51
Pixie Proving Grounds
In reply to Harbinger of Doom (msg # 17):

I shoot my 5th bullet from my hiding spot with the sinking realization that I am already down to half my bullets and fly to the pillar to the right, again trying to find concealment.

14:47, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 28 using 1d20+9.  Attack.

14:46, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 3 using 1d3.  Damage.

14:46, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 5 using 1d6.  Sneak Attack Damage.

14:46, Today: Clover Nightshade rolled 34 using 1d20+15.  Hide.