IC: Stuff is Messed Up.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 9 posts
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 00:05
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
News travels fast in some social strata.  At the bottom, news traveling fast is often necessary for survival.

By midday today, the news is that Jurgen Kupfer was found dead this morning.

Kupfer was a friend to all the downtrodden in Streissen.  He made whatever little money he could doing odd jobs down at the docks or helping around various workshops.  If he had extra it would go to whoever needed it that day.  Maybe in the form of a coin or two, or maybe something a little more tangible, like a new shirt, or a bottle of wine (Kupfer was also friends with a number of the smuggling gangs in town, and they were as generous to him as he was to everyone else).  If he didn't have extra money or gifts, he was still sure to come around with a bawdy joke or some news he had picked up from whatever travelers he had encountered that day.

The mood in the Wooden Tooth is somber.  It's not the most cheerful place even in the best of times - the kind of tavern that primarily serves liquid lunches, not to mention liquid breakfasts and dinners (old Metzger could put together some solid food too if asked, but it isn't exactly luxury dining).  But it is one of the busier gathering places in the slum known as the West Side, and it is where you happen to be when you hear the news about Kupfer.  And it is where whispers and rumors quickly start flying as people try to fill in the blanks about what actually happened to him.

Even if you haven't been in Streissen that long, you have surely encountered Jurgen Kupfer at some point.  What kind of relationship did you have with him?  And what do you do now?
Lucas Leclair
 player, 4 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 01:45
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Lucas stared into his cup of...whatever these Imperials called this weak nonsense...and contemplated the misfortune of his new friend Jurgen Kupfer. They were not years long comrades, or fellow crewman from a dozen raids or anything, but the man had been good to him. And for the disgraced Bretonnian, kindness was in short supply.

Bad enough that he was poor, complete with tattered clothes and a unique aroma, but he was a poor foreigner. It seemed that even some beggars in the Empire had national pride. He'd been spit on by men who were far more wretched than he. But Jurgen had been different. They'd shared a few rounds at the Wooden Tooth, and suddenly Lucas found a fast friend beyond the usual companions of convenience that appeared in any tavern when its patrons were inebriated enough.

Jurgen had helped him get a few odd jobs down by the docks, where Lucas had some useful experience to ply. With his help, he had made enough to at least by a clean shirt and breaches. Maybe a doublet was in his future. But with Jurgen dead, he suspected his work would dry up.

"Que votre ancre soit serrée, que votre bouchon soit lâche, que votre rhum soit épicé et que votre boussole soit vraie..." he said, raising his glass, saluting his departed friend, and downing the whole pig swill in one gulp.

Then he began to sing an old sailor's song. He knew how hollow it would be in this sort of atmosphere, but he needed to pick himself up a bit. And if the lyrics happened to somewhat relate to his mood, all the better.

"We're homeward bound across the blue sea,
    Good-bye fare-you-well, we wish you well,
We're homeward bound to the old country,
    Good-bye fare-you-well, we're homeward bound!

Oh did you not hear the old man say,
We're homeward bound this very day.

So good-bye to Lucia and good-bye to Larue,
And you married ladies good-bye to you.

The topsails are loosed and the anchors a-weigh,
She heels to the breeze as the gathers her way."

Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 3 posts
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 16:43
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Giovanni padded into the tavern. He was in a bad mood, wherever you looked life just got worse. He sat down at the bar and looked at the assorted bottles of wine arrayed behind it.
Life got worse.

Sighing he ordered a mug of ale. At least poor ale wasn’t quite as bad as poor wine.

Juergen was dead. He was a crook, true, but he had a bit of a heart. When he had arrived in town and the waterfront vultures had begun to close in, Juergen had pointed him in the right direction. Giovanni had done a bit of paperwork for him too,though he tried not to think about the legal ramifications of that.

Wincing at the taste of the brew, he muttered.

“Minchia. You people were born with blind tongues,”
Mathilde
 player, 5 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 03:47
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mathi works hard at not crying, nursing a sour ale she doesn't want so she can stick with the company she does. The students—all slumming it here at the Tooth—talk over "Matthias," only occasionally elbowing the youth to laugh at a bawdy joke or join in the chorus of some song making fun of Classical conjugations.

She'd rather be out in the streets, really, yelling about the inevitability of revolution and how the twin wellsprings of corruption are decadence and poverty. Today, though, she's spooked. It had only been some rumor about a noble in town. The odds of it being anybody she knows are minimal. But it is enough to keep her off the street and stuck in the tavern with her feelings and her fellow would-be revolutionaries. And then the news had come.

It's all talk. It's all talk for all of us, no matter how much we wish it were otherwise. Jurgen isn't—wasn't— like that. He did things. Morr welcome him and guide him. she thinks. Told me what I was doing wrong without selling me out, and managed to get me trousers that actually fit.

Absently, she rubs at some of the dirty smutches on her face that disguise "Matthias's" distinct lack of facial hair. She misses being clean more than any of the other things from home. The toast catches her attention, though, and she shoves her way out of the booth to the stranger by the time he's finished his song.

"Je ne sais pas si Jurgen possédait une boussole. Not a physical one, anyway. Would have lost it out a hole in his pocket, or given it away."
Gudbrun Dumbarag
 player, 5 posts
 Trolldrengi
 Slayer, ya wazzock!
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 13:17
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
A regular shipment of dwarven carbines has arrived from the great fort-city of Everpeak to cross the fields of Averland and head for the heart of the Empire. Six steely shieldbearers, four of the finest gunners, Torg Goldentongue, the famed diplomat himself and a stout, sooty engineer crossed the streets of Streissen with their proud, bearded heads held high. As usual, they stopped by the market, to change some coin and replenish their food supplies, children came with adoration in their eyes. They haven't seen the fine steels of the mountains yet in such amount and excitedly circled around the stoutfellows. Some of the beardlings sat by the side of the cart and lit their brazen pipes and blown clouds of grey sloppily while speaking in the tongue of stones.

One of them waved a scrawny kid closer.
"Oi, laddie!" The armored dwarf has shown his pipe to the young manling "See this here pipe?"
The kid nodded slowly with awe and excitement in his eyes.
"I'll give ya the kind of coin you haven't seen before if ya bring it back full of fresh tobacco."
A wide grin appeared under the helmet, and the short fellow patted the youngling in the shoulder, who nodded in return.
"Yes sir, I shall fetch you the best!"
As the kid ran off with the laughter of the dawi behind his back, he bumped into a stranger. He looked up with innocent eyes, and seen a hooded man, carrying a crossbow; with dark eyes, he shoved him to the sides and stepped towards the marktplatz  along with two other thugs.
The youngling looked back only to see more of the armed figures closing in; with worry in his eyes, he saw the same dwarf waving back, despite the others readying for a fight.
"I'll be wanting my pipe back, laddie! Hurry up!"

Since the trade routes between the realms of men and the high kings of the mountains has been established, rogue actions against convoys have been numerous and lately, increasingly violent. That year, the assassin's guild has been payed a hefty amount to assault a convoy, said to carry a latest invention of steel and fire, a gunpowder-spewing machinery of destruction.
If it weren't for the young Jurgen Kupfer, who alerted the local militia in time, none of the dawi would've lived to tell the tale. As a gift for his help and bravery, he got to keep that very pipe the sooty dwarf gave him.



And now as he was walking on the same streets thirty or so years later, that very pipe was handed to Gudbrun by a courier boy. After a long, confused look, he lifted the messenger from the ground and pressed him to the wall.
"Who gave you this, boy?! I dare ye not ta lie to a dawi!"
"I don't know sir! I was told you would know... I'm really just the messenger here!"
After a few moments of anger, he let the kid go, and kept staring at the pipe burrowed deep in his thoughts as ended up in the Wooden Tooth, still brooding over his past.

It took a while for Gudbrun to notice the sailor's song being sung in there while he took a pint of the cheapest horsepiss ale to toast the manling that once saved his life. Metzger knew about the dwarf's habit of paying with knocked out teeth and coin from some beaten-up brats for his drinks and only allowed a single drink to drown his troubles in.
By the time he looked up to see who's singing, he only saw two young manlings talking, but he wasn't quite sure which one's voice he heard.
Lifting his pickaxe on the left shoulder, he drank the rest of his ale, grabbed the pipe and moved over towards them.
"Do apologize me for me manners but...which of you lads 'ave I heard singing just now?"
Even now that he was in his softer moments, the dwarf seemed intimidating; with his uncovered chest and his tall crest, along with the oversized pickaxe on his back, obviously fouled with spots of dried blood.

[OOC: Sorry for the long intro, I won't go on that lengthily from now on]
Mord Steelspike
 player, 1 post
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 14:46
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mord held a bitter expression, avoiding looking too closely at the tankard in hand. He sat on his stool with the posture of a dwarf who had broken fast with drink, and returned not long after to continue until he settled his mood one way or another. Jurgen Kupfer's death had been percolating through West Side at the speed of rumour, and preceding the bouts of sombre mood in the tavern, he could hear others receive the news or gossip over the circumstances. Keeping the bartender behind a tap helped to blot out the former and ignore the latter. Somewhat.

Kupfer was the reason Mord plied trade in Streissen rather than travelling further into the Empire, connecting him with wardens of lesser repute and patrons of dubious nature. Indirectly, he was even cause for Mord catching wind of his passing. Mord was well used to keeping an eye on the comings and goings of the crows (like himself) who made a profit from others' illness and death. The thought crossed the dwarf's mind that he could stand to be making a few coin more than usual, and he spat on the floor soon as he did, dismissing it out of hand - along with holding vigil against other grave robbers. Not everyone had his qualms about selling a self-made corpse, if the buyers weren't picky.

Better to be deaf, dumb, and blind than stick my neck out over a fresh corpse, he told himself, but behind the affirmation was an upright idea he hadn't yet drowned.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 4 posts
Mon 9 Jul 2018
at 12:32
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
As he took in, and tried to translate, the songs and chatter around the tavern, Gio’s sense of justice eventually bubbled to the surface, through the distinctively flavoured ale.

”Amico!” he waved to the barman, ”You heard about Kupfer, si? How do this happen? You have heard something?” his Reikspiel was faltering, but getting better by the week.

An ugly language, but necessary.
GM
 GM, 13 posts
Mon 9 Jul 2018
at 14:49
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Metzger shrugs and replies Everyone's got ideas, but don't nobody know for sure, I don't think.  Only thing I heard that I believe is that they done took him straight to Morr's garden.  This is immediately followed by "everyone" (well, everyone within earshot at least) repeating whatever they've heard (or maybe made up) regarding Kupfer's cause of death - botched robbery, got caught between rival smugglers, walked in on some dark magic, told that joke about the milkmaid and the Sigmarite priest one too many times, and so on.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 5 posts
Mon 9 Jul 2018
at 15:01
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Standing, and attempting to drain his tankard but bailing out half way through, Gio places a couple of copper pennies on the table.
”Grazie mi amico. Be well.

I will ask at the temple, and then to give the buon viaggio.”

Vaguely wondering if going to Morrs garden would involve passing a bakery, and with Ranalds luck a delicatessen, Giovanni prowled out.

OOC: GM what time of year is it? And the weather right now?
GM
 GM, 14 posts
Mon 9 Jul 2018
at 18:03
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
It is maybe a month into spring.  Current weather is sunny and a little chilly, but not unpleasantly so.
Lucas Leclair
 player, 5 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Tue 10 Jul 2018
at 03:27
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Lucas started in surprise when he finished his song. It had been some time since he had heard his mother tongue emerge from any mouth than his own, and in the heart of the Empire, in a lowdown tavern was the last place he expected to hear it.

"C'est métaphorique," he blurted without thinking.

"Are you of Bretonnia, garçon? I take it you were an acquaintance of Jurgen's as well? Come, pull up a chair and I will buy you a glass of this yak piss they are audacious enough to charge us for," Lucas asked rapidly, indicating the space next to him.
Mathilde
 player, 6 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Tue 10 Jul 2018
at 13:31
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Non. Je suis seulement un jeune avec un peu d'éducation, sir. Averland born and bred." Mathi says with a slight smile. His voice is light and clear. "No disagreements about the ale, though I can't say I've had yak piss for comparison."

Mathi takes the offered seat. "I'm Matthias. Yes, Jurgen was a friend. Helped me out when I first got to town. He was good about that, even if his fingers were a little sticky and it was better not to ask where the money came from. I can't believe he's gone."
GM
 GM, 16 posts
Fri 13 Jul 2018
at 23:50
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Though Giovanni has left, his question to the barman and the answers it brought have had a noticeable effect on the crowd.  The chatter shifts from cause of death to lack of response by the Watch - typical 'ere, but Jurgen at least deserves better.  One man suggests that he might get some more attention if people thought he was a long-lost Leitdorf.

                          *                              *                              *

Out in the street, Giovanni is able to find a bakery not too far from the tavern.  From outside it smells like... well, a bakery.  The bread is sold at a stand out front, adjoining the actual bakery.  There are plain rolls and loaves, and rolls stuffed with meat.  If you ask what kind, the seller shrugs and just says Meat.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 6 posts
Mon 16 Jul 2018
at 11:50
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Giovanni looks at the rolls and pies.
With disgust.

Taking a sharp breath he asks,
“So, you hear about Jurgen?
I think he be killed...

You think he upset someone?”


It never hurt to get a few opinions on this kind of thing before jumping in with both feet,
GM
 GM, 17 posts
Mon 16 Jul 2018
at 17:42
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Behind the stand is an older-looking woman, plump, and missing about a third of her teeth.  When Giovanni asks about Jurgen she leans in conspiratorially and says It is suspicious, innit?  And I just saw him earlier the same evening, too.  Came by for a snack, told me he was off to meet some friends by the dock.  I don't know where, mind you, but if you was trying to find out more there's plenty of folk here what got some idea.  Just don't tell 'em I told you that.  Course, they say in Tilea folk get knifed in the street all the time and everyone just keeps their mouth shut, so I suppose you know well enough what not to say to who.

GM, on behalf of Giovanni di Calluti, rolled 6 using 1d100.  Gossip.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 7 posts
Mon 16 Jul 2018
at 19:03
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
“In Tilea?...  non è vero.

We do be more careful. Mostly.
Allora, you do me the same courtesy Signora, abbiamo non parlato.”
He smiles and puts a finger to his lips.

The docks would wait for now, the kind of people he would need to find were the kind who would hang around in the evening anyway. Gio had decided to visit the temple and that’s what he would do.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:08, Thu 26 July 2018.

Lucas Leclair
 player, 7 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Tue 17 Jul 2018
at 21:32
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Ah. Quel dommage. I'll use the Imperial tongue for now then my new friend. It is more polite to do as your host country does, is it not?" Lucas said mock seriously, and then laughing at some private joke.

"My tale is much the same. Jurgen was a friend to a stranger in these lands. Alas, I cannot get by simply by being this devilishly handsome. I must work for a living. And not many would put to work a foreign bilge-rat. It was he who helped me gain employment, such as it is. As for his fingers, I would take comfort in them. A man of saintly character is to be avoided at all cost. The people around them usually end up dead," he went on, sage-like in his increasing inebriation.

"I would see him buried properly however. And I would know his manner of death. It has been itching the back of my mind since before I started drinking. He was a local. Surely he would know to avoid the usual dangers," the Bretonnian went on thoughtfully.
Mathilde
 player, 7 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Fri 20 Jul 2018
at 15:06
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"We could..." The youth hesitated a moment. "We could try to find out. What happened, I mean. And see him properly buried. We can hardly make a more just society if we let these small injustices slide. Sigmar knows the Watch won't lift its dirty hands to investigate this. Come with me to the temple?"
Lucas Leclair
 player, 8 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Sat 21 Jul 2018
at 00:52
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Lucas cocked an eyebrow and leaned back in his chair considering Mathilde's proposal. It was one thing to make lofty declarations when deep in one's cups. Indeed, he had claimed he was going to fight Arch Grand Commodore Luthor Harkon in an honorable duel to impress some bar wench he had been sweat on. But this was different. This sounded like actual action was intended to be taken, and Lucas' valorous martial spirit had been beaten down long ago.

But his new drinking companion spoke truly. Maybe snooping around wouldn't be so bad. Jurgen had helped him out and made him able to at least feed himself. Perhaps this was a debt of honor he could actually repay?

"Merde! Why not? For justice, love, puppies, and all of that stuff!" Lucas barked dramatically, jumping up from his chair.

"Lead the way my young friend!" he mumbled absentmindedly, finishing his foul drink in one grimacing swallow.

He had paid for it after all. He wasn't going to let it go to waste.
GM
 GM, 18 posts
Sat 21 Jul 2018
at 12:21
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Lucas and Mathilde (and anyone else?) head straight to the temple, without the little diversion that Giovanni had, and the result is that they reconvene there at about the same time.

The temple of Morr is a rectangular building of solid gray stone, with the long side parallel to the street, and about fifteen feet high.  Stained glass windows depict peaceful scenes of sunsets, figures walking through open gates, and the like.  As usual for the cult of Morr, the front entrance has no door, just an open archway with a black stone column on one side and a white column on the other.  A stone raven is perched at the top of the arch, looking down at everyone passing through.

Inside is an atrium with a stone table in the middle and a large wooden door at the back, currently open to reveal the "garden" on the other side.  There are also wooden doors on either side of the room, both closed.  There is no one else in the atrium right now, but you see a couple of black-robed clergy working in the garden.  They do not appear to have noticed you just yet.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 8 posts
Sat 21 Jul 2018
at 12:49
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio walked up to the archway and bowed his head, whispering softly under the ravens gaze.
“Vedi il mio passo, Padre.”

Stepping smartly but quietly into and through the atrium, Giovanni entered the garden. Approaching the men that worked there he bowed his head again and asked.
“Be excusing me father. I come to seek answers, my friend has passed through the gates and I would know how this viaggio came to be. He was murdered.
Kupfer. Jurgen Kupfer.
Possibly you can help?”

His words were courteous, if thick with a southern Tilean accent.

13:43, Today: Giovanni di Calluti rolled 18 -- 1 degree of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 35.  Gossip.
GM
 GM, 19 posts
Sat 21 Jul 2018
at 21:58
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
When you step through you see that there is a third here, a middle-aged woman who appears to be supervising the others.  They look to her when you speak, and she says something quietly to them.  They return to their work of cleaning and praying over the graves, while she walks over to you.  In a soft voice she says Hello, I am Hanna Fischer, the priestess in charge of this temple.  I offer my condolences for your friend.  I am afraid I have not heard his name until now.  However, some watchmen did deliver a man to us this morning.  They did not tell us who he was or what happened.  He is downstairs right now, receiving his final preparations with... Brother Sigismund, I believe.  If you'd like I can take you to see him.
Mathilde
 player, 8 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Mon 23 Jul 2018
at 21:25
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"If you could, please. I— I'd like to say goodbye, at least." Mathi says. She avoids meeting the woman's eyes. Her hands are busy at her belt, fidgeting with the wooden buckle before shifting to pull her tunic again into place. "I think we all would."
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 9 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2018
at 10:57
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Smiling and nodding, his gratitude clear Gio replies,
“Grazie Senora. Yes that will be very good. I would see Brother Siggismund as soon as is convenient for you,”
GM
 GM, 20 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 00:18
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Of course.  Please, wait here and I will go see if he is ready for you.  She leads you back into the atrium, then motions for you to stay there while she goes into one of the side doors.  She leaves it open, and looking through you can see that there is a stairs leading down, and some sort of light source at the bottom.  She returns a few minutes later and tells you that he is ready, then follows you downstairs.

The stairs turns right near the bottom and ends in a smallish room, lit by a number of oil lamps placed in niches in three of the walls.  The fourth wall just has a plain door in the middle, which is shut.  In the middle of the room is a large table on which lays the body of Jurgen Kupfer, with a blanket covering him from his ankles to his shoulders.  A smaller table nearby has various items on it - knives, cloth, a needle and thread.  A young man in a black robe, presumably Brother Sigismund, is standing over Kupfer's body and reading quietly from a small book.  He glances up when you come down but continues reading for a short time longer.
Sylvie
 player, 1 post
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 03:19
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The girl had heard the news, so far she had avoided all of the common places wishing to pretend it hadn't happened. Yet, in the end the young black haired woman had relented and gathered the courage to face the truth. She owed it to the old Jurgen, after all he had helped both her and her late Mother get through all of the bad times, always with a smile and a good story.

She finally made her way to the temple, and advanced always with her head low, her eyes on the floor, and avoiding bumping into people. Even upon reaching the place, she awaited even more, hesitating to enter, as the place would be full of people, or at least of enough people to make her fell uncomfortable. But she had to say goodbye to him, and after taking a deep breath, she entered the temple hoping not to draw too much attention.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 10 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 14:00
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Giovanni moves a pace or two inside the room before standing silently and waiting for Siggusmund to finish his prayer. Respect was like manners, in that they cost little but attention.
His hand moved the small pewter shield pendant into view then remained clasped over his naval, waiting in patient calm.
Lucas Leclair
 player, 9 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 02:08
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Lucas suddenly found himself unsure of what to do. Not just in general, but for little things. Like what to do with his hands. Being in this room made him feel all fidgety. For once bravado or hedonistic mischief wouldn't help in this situation. He tried to remember the proper rites and prayers that he had been taught in his youth, but nothing came to him. In Sartosa, people were usually unceremoniously kicked into the ocean, or buried in large communal graves once people couldn't stand the stink anymore.

But this felt like a place of...reverence. Yes, that was the word. And so he tried to steady his hands by gripping the hilt of his blade and trying to breathe like he was in an oar gang once again. It helped.
GM
 GM, 21 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 00:08
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie arrives to find the temple mostly empty.  The only people she sees in the atrium are a priestess and three others, one of whom mentions Jurgen's name just loudly enough that she is able to hear it.  A short time later they are being led downstairs through a side door, and she is able to follow if she wants to.

Once Sigismund is done with his prayer he closes the book and looks up at the rest of you.  He invites you to approach your friend and say whatever you need.
Mathilde
 player, 9 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Thu 2 Aug 2018
at 19:47
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mathi draws a deep breath and lets it out very slowly, then takes a step toward what used to be her friend. "Jurgen, you might not have been the best of people, but you were the best of friends, and you were kind to strangers. The Empire would be a better place if more people were like you, and that's saying something. Morr guide you and Sigmar protect you."
Sylvie
 player, 2 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2018
at 02:32
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie had followed silently and stayed far away for as long as the prayers took. She was contemplative of the scene and didn't dare to disturb it. Then once the service was over, she approached behind the young man and couldn't help but weeping in front of her old friend and protector. She wanted to speak, but failed. At least with her tears she could honor the man.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 11 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2018
at 15:43
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Giovanni glances at the young people so visibly upset by the mans passing and wonders what exactly this man had been up to to touch them so.
Lovers? Non certo. Questo non è un possibile He thought.

Turning his attention to the body, and to justice, he found himself at a loss.
“Brother, can you tell me how this man be dead?” if in doubt, ask an expert.

OOC: Today: Giovanni di Calluti rolled 97 -- 6 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 35 ((97)). Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:19, Fri 03 Aug 2018.

GM
 GM, 25 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2018
at 14:12
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Fortunately for Giovanni, the clergy of Morr have a pretty matter-of-fact attitude about discussing death.  Sigismund tells you He has many cuts, some deeper than others.  We have cleaned the blood off of him.  That is as much as we can say for now.  He leaves the shroud in place as he tells you this.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:15, Sat 04 Aug 2018.

Lucas Leclair
 player, 10 posts
 A Worthless Sea Dog
 Scion of a Dead House
Mon 6 Aug 2018
at 02:01
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Attends...quoi?" Lucas started, looking up from his respectful reverie.

"Did you say 'many cuts,' father? Do you mean many strokes of a blade, or the ravages of some animal? Because both would be most surprising..." the Bretonnian scoundrel asked, looking genuinely surprised in turn.
Mathilde
 player, 13 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 01:44
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Did it seem like a fight, or more that they just wanted to be sure Jurgen was dead?" Mathi asked, her curiosity giving her at least a modicum of detachment for the moment. Still, the youth couldn't help fidgeting with the ends of tunic sleeves while waiting for an answer.
GM
 GM, 26 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 01:51
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
I'm... I'm not sure, the younger priest says, glancing nervously behind you toward Hanna.  She says We are not normally in the business of determining how a person has died.  It is enough that he has; we minister to him and pray for safe passage to our Father's kingdom.  But if it is important to you to know, and if you know what you are looking for, then I suppose we can allow you to see the wounds.  But know that it may be upsetting to see.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 14 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 14:07
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
“Please, reveal all. I would know the truth.”
Gio replies in almost a whisper.
GM
 GM, 27 posts
Fri 10 Aug 2018
at 02:30
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The initiate looks to the priestess once more, and she nods quietly.  He pulls the blanket down from the shoulders, and up from the ankles (leaving only the waist and genitals covered) and steps back.

You see the wounds right away.  Lots of them.  Mostly in the abdomen and lower back, but a few reaching higher than that, or down to the knees.  On closer inspection you can see that while most of them are deep cuts or stabs, presumably made with sharp blades, there are also some scratches that look like they came from a different implement.
Mathilde
 player, 14 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 03:43
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mathilde tries her best to examine the body, but she can't bring herself to concentrate on the wounds. She's too shaken by the absence of life in the man she once knew. She sees the cuts, the bruises, but the colors are all wrong. Forcing her gorge down, she turns away, eyes wet.

"Cover him, please."
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 15 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 06:42
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio flinched a little at the body, he had been expecting something, not quite so many things perhaps. It was a mixture, claws and weapons, and did not appear to be of a dog.
So the young man deduced it was probably not a human by any stretch of local customs at least.

He took a deep breath, it caught in his throat as he looked around the other faces here, the words unsure even as he formed them. Being from Tilea he had been brought up on the fair rationale that something lurked beneath those lands north-west of his home, though strictly speaking hard evidence was very thin on the ground. Nonetheless he also had become aware that other cultures denied their existence entirely.
With trepidation at being labelled a fool he cautiously hedged his bets.
”Giant sewer rats?...”
GM
 GM, 28 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 12:16
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
We are not aware of any such beasts here, Hanna says, without any sign of derision in her voice.  Or at least, I have not heard of any.  The rat catchers might know, or the smugglers.  Sigismund looks shocked when she mentions smugglers.  She laughs softly in response and says You think I don't know what goes on in my town?  Don't worry, I am not involved with them, but it would be foolish to pretend they aren't there at all.
Sylvie
 player, 3 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 14:27
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie looked attentively while still weeping; she took pauses from time to time to hold onto her old friend just to continue observing and looking. It was painful and hard, but she wanted to hold onto the memories for as long as possible.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 16 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 09:59
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio didn’t want to be called crazy. He was an educated man after all!
He exchanged a cautious look with those present, one that suggested he knew that everyone else here knew that this was bad but that not everyone knew how bad this could be, including himself. It came out as a confused series of glances.

Spreading his palms to Hannah he asks,
“Mi dispiace madre, I am new here in town. You would be kind enough to set me on the path towards a rat catcher or smuggler of worth? I would not wander blindly into a pen illegal moonshine factory and be found floating in the docks a domani.”
GM
 GM, 30 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 01:56
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Hanna thinks for a moment and then says I don't know any rat catchers myself, but I know that they collect their bounties from the watch house on the Eisenstraße*.  As for smugglers, I don't think that I personally know any of them either, but... (she gives you a mischievous smile and then continues) I do know that if you go to the Spotted Mushroom when Rudi is in a good mood and order a Piemaster's Special, you might learn something useful.


*this is one of the larger streets in the West Side area - at least one of you knows where it is

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:34, Sat 25 Aug 2018.

Sylvie
 player, 4 posts
Sat 25 Aug 2018
at 01:18
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
After her tears dried up, Sylvie got back to reality and composed into a more talkative state. "I'm sorry for this, but I had to do it. I owe him seeing him a last time even if I can't hold my tears. No, more like I owe him my tears and my whole emotions. He was a good friend. If I didn't do it, it'd be like me turning my back on him." She then stopped "I want to go too. I might not be too useful, but I promise I won't get in your way."
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 18 posts
Sat 25 Aug 2018
at 12:47
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
“Well. It will be lunchtime soon. Shall we go to this Spotted Mushroom?” Gio asks those collected here to say farewell to Jurgen.

OOC: Silvie, I don’t suppose you could put some in your char description please? :)
Mathilde
 player, 17 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 02:48
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"We can certainly try," Mathi says. "Sigmar knows Jurgen won't be taking any more meals there." The youth pinches the bridge of their nose and tries again to rub some of the redness out of their eyes. When Mathi turned to bow to the Morrites, it was suspiciously practiced, almost courtly.
GM
 GM, 33 posts
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 00:25
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The priests cover up the body again and show you out.  You make your way back to the West Side, and to the Spotted Mushroom.  There are only a few other people here at this time.  You don't see anyone behind the bar, but you do hear some muttering and cursing coming from behind there.
Mathilde
 player, 18 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 01:17
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mathi walks up to the bar and goes up on their toes to try and get a glimpse of what's going on behind it. When some stray, dark hair comes out, they shove it back under the hat. "'Scuse me?" Mathi says, roughening their accent around the edges as best they can. "Lunch time, innit? How much fer the piemaster's special?"
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 19 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 08:13
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio follows the young lad to the bar and dutifully begins to take out some brass pennies on the counter. He methodically counts a few to separate. Then after a moment counts a few more.

This looked like a place folks bought more than pies, but what did he expect. Teach him for having such a strong sense of justice...
GM
 GM, 34 posts
Sat 8 Sep 2018
at 20:16
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
A halfling pops up from behind the counter.  You notice right away that he looks cleaner than most people here, other than the scar under his right eye.  He glances around to make sure that no one else is too close, then says Look friend, I don't know who recommended the piemaster to you, and I'm glad you thought to take them up on it, but I'm afraid some of the ingredients weren't delivered when they were supposed to be.  Try back tomorrow, and hopefully I can get it together for you.  He looks a little nervous as he tries to get back to his work, and while it's not entirely clear you're pretty sure you hear him mutter Doesn't help that my delivery man wound up dead this morning.
Sylvie
 player, 5 posts
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 00:42
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie awaited a short time before following the men inside and kept her distance. She approached carefully, and remembering her old friend's advice, she spoke to the halfling. "Is there a way to get the ingredients for you today? It could be good for your business?" putting one coin in front of her she also added with an innocent smile "Is there anything I can get for this amount?"
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 20 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 09:23
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio glances at Silvie, then leaned over the bar and lowered his voice a touch.
“Signor, your delivery man, he be Jurgen? It is this we would be like to talk on.

You can tell us of his journey, si? His pick up, and route?...”


Of course he didn’t know that Jurgen was the courier, but things were too much of a coincidence to pass up.
GM
 GM, 35 posts
Sat 15 Sep 2018
at 18:24
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The barman takes Sylvie's coin, smiles, and says Kind of you to offer, but-  He stops when Gio cuts in with his question and asks What's your business with Jurgen?  Once you answer (whatever exactly you tell him) he leans in a little closer and says He was supposed to meet some friends last night at Dieter Shultz's warehouse near the river.  But I didn't send you there, right?
Sylvie
 player, 6 posts
Wed 19 Sep 2018
at 01:47
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie smiled at Gio as the barman gave out an interesting lead, "You are very smart. I wouldn't have guessed."
Mathilde
 player, 19 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Wed 19 Sep 2018
at 02:51
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Of course you didn't. An' if we end up poked full of holes like our friend, it's not on you." Mathi says. Their voice only quivers a little as they flash back to the claws and bites. "Jurgen done us all a good turn at some point, and we were—we was fearsome sad about his demise. Watch won't make justice for the like of him or, really, the likes of us. Law don't care. So we don't have to care too much about it, right?"
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 21 posts
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 13:49
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio smiles and bows his head.
”Sento nessuno Signor,”

To Silvie he spreads his hands deprecatingly.
”Oh you are too kind. No I am so smart. In Tilea I read on strategy, if I read it better maybe I do not end up in a cold land with pazzo food,” he laughs nervously, as if not sure where the boundaries of etiquette lay here.
With a deep breath he suggests.
”Allora, andiamo this Shultz warehouse. Maybe we can talk along the way, I’m keen to know still, what brings Juergen so many friends, and how far you be strong to go for justice yes?”
GM
 GM, 37 posts
Sat 13 Oct 2018
at 13:02
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
It doesn't take too long to find the warehouse.  It's still technically in the West Side, but on that strip of riverfront property that is considered to be the area of honest laborers rather than untrustworthy riff-raff (never mind that they are often one and the same, depending on whether they are seen at work or at home).  It is a large wooden building with small windows on all sides, high up in the walls.  It has no fancy name, or any identifying sign at all other than the number 19 painted in red near the front doors.  The doors are open when you approach, and a few workers are carrying crates out and piling them in the street, where other workers are taking them and loading them onto a riverboat docked nearby.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 23 posts
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 10:34
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio arrives but is initially content back and watch the goings on. He takes note of the name of the riverboat, and tries to identify its captain for later. The young man also keeps an eye out for anyone in or around the warehouse wearing clothing that would suggest they are of a more senior position. That or the kind of riff raff that immediately catches the eye!

He takes the role of a man deep in thoughts looking out across the murky river.
Sylvie
 player, 8 posts
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 02:46
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie awaited a bit at first, but once Gio moved as if contemplating the river, she approached him and got pretty close by his side. "I still wonder what you think." She hesitated at first but finally took his hand. "I guess this place isn't much for you. Do you miss your home?"
GM
 GM, 39 posts
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 16:29
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The riverboat has "Speedy Baron" painted in bright red on the side facing you.  Everyone is dressed similarly, but it's easy to tell who is giving the orders there and who is taking them.

On the warehouse side of things, the work is being overseen by someone who looks at once to be a boss-type and eye-catching riff-raff.  He is a burly man with rotten teeth and the kind of booming voice that would probably still be loud even at a whisper.  In the midst of telling the other workers where to put the cargo they are bringing in, he spots Gio and shouts Oi, you lookin' for a little coin?  Come over 'ere and 'elp carry this shit inside!
Mathilde
 player, 22 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 01:38
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Mathi hangs back somewhat, a slight figure amongst the riverside roustabouts. The youth looks suspiciously like they'd prefer to just disappear completely, with competing waves of emotion crossing their face when they think nobody's paying attention. The idea of...carrying things seems improbable, particularly since it looks like any one of the stevedores could circle the youth's biceps between thumb and fingertip.
Karl Hausner
 player, 2 posts
 Actor, gambler, scoundrel
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 03:10
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
A new figure emerged from a side street and observed the boat thoughtfully. The stranger had copper coloured hair, a trim goatee beard and blue-purple eyes. Karl had recently visited the Spotted Mushroom himself and now made his way to the warehouse.

To anyone observing Karl did not look like much of a laborer; he was in reasonable shape but not exactly bulging with muscles and his red doublet was of good quality.

Glancing around he spots a boy in a red cap who seems currently unengaged. In a fine tenor he says: 'May I have a word with you lad?'
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 24 posts
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 07:55
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio glances furtively at Silvia, in a low voice he whispers.
“Si. But mostly I miss the food.
What is it with you people and sausage?”


At the burly fellows call, Gio adds hurriedly,
“Ah fortune throws us a bone Signora,”
He walks quickly over, taps his forelock and replies,
“Always looking for a coin, or two...

Where do you want it?”
He asks jovially as he stepped lightly onto the Speedy Barons deck and surreptitiously took a long look at the cargo within.
Sylvie
 player, 9 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 02:53
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie didn't waste any time, she walked shortly behind Gio and approached the burly man. "Is it ok if I can stay around while I wait for him? I promise not to get in your way." She smiled while acting like a lost puppy, maybe this was her chance to have a reason to get in and scoop around without being suspicious. After all, having to carry those things wouldn't leave much time to look around.
GM
 GM, 40 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 03:21
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio doesn't notice anything suspicious about the cargo.  These boxes are heavy, which is to be expected, but not unmanageable.  And none of them give you the sense that they contain corpses or forbidden literature or anything of that sort.

The warehouse boss leers at Sylvie and says You, love?  You can stay around as long as you like.  He tries to follow you around as you look over the warehouse itself, but he is too distracted by the actual work he is trying to supervise.  Once his attention is diverted you are able to get deeper inside.  You notice in area in the back where it looks like some boxes have been moved out from where they belong, and the dirt floor is disturbed in a manner suggesting... well, some sort of commotion.  More than you could figure out with a mere glance at least.

Mathi and Karl, you two are still outside in the street next to the warehouse.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:22, Fri 09 Nov 2018.

Mathilde
 player, 23 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 15:11
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
A bit hesitantly, Mathi turns to the well-dressed stranger. Without her erstwhile companions hanging about, they feel even more threatened by the general atmosphere. "Yes, sir? You need summat?" Their voice is almost as high as the actor's, but rather thinner. They do wear a sword, but don't seem particularly ready to reach for it.
Giovanni di Calluti
 player, 25 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 15:28
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Gio labours with the cargo, he really wasn’t cut out for this. Or books either apparently.

At the sight of the disturbed area he glances over his shoulder and darts into the space, crouching down and letting his eyes and finger roam over the floor and boxes within.

OOC: failed perception, but passed search!

This message was last edited by the player at 15:31, Fri 09 Nov 2018.

Karl Hausner
 player, 4 posts
 Actor, gambler, scoundrel
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 10:48
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Karl noticed something unusual about the boy but couldn't quite put his finger on it. With a mental shrug he abandoned it and pursued the issue at hand.

"I am looking for information about a late friend of mine," Karl said, glancing around in a rather melodramatic fashion and lowering his voice. "You are aware Herr Kupfer has met with foul play? I'm trying to find out what happened to him and frankly you look like a lad with something between his ears."

He paused a moment, obviously weighing something in his mind. "I am Karl Hausner of the Nuln stage. Perhaps you have heard of me?"
GM
 GM, 41 posts
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 00:08
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The warehouse manager never told you to put anything in this particular corner, but between trying to manage the wares and trying to keep his eyes on Sylvie, it's not too hard for Giovanni to get back there without him noticing.  Once his eyes have adjusted to the darkness he focuses on the spot Sylvie had pointed out when they crossed paths, and quickly sees that there is a large wooden trapdoor in the floor there.
Mathilde
 player, 24 posts
 Matthias, nobody of
 import. Really. Pamphlet?
Thu 6 Dec 2018
at 15:08
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
"Heard of you? Can't say I have, Herr Hausner. Never been to Nuln." Mathi says. "But Herr Kupfer...very foul, very foul play. Been to say words at Morr's Garden we have. Terrible cut up. What brought you here, though, sir?"
Sylvie
 player, 11 posts
Thu 6 Dec 2018
at 23:12
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
Sylvie sat down over a crate on a visible place, and watched around as if looking at Gio. She however was looking for possible entrance points so the whole group could return at night.
Karl Hausner
 player, 6 posts
 Actor, gambler, scoundrel
Fri 7 Dec 2018
at 01:10
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
In reply to Mathilde (msg # 71):

Karl tried to hide his disappointment at not being recognised by name. Still what could one expect from a waif?

"A few words from a halfling in the know. What about you boy? Clearly you are a friend of Herr Kupfer, and since you used the term 'we', I suppose you are not alone. Perhaps we can join forces and track down the, ahem, person or persons unknown who slew our mutual friend?"
GM
 GM, 44 posts
Sun 9 Dec 2018
at 01:03
IC: Stuff is Messed Up
The only obvious entrance is the large cargo door.  There are a couple of smallish windows up near the ceiling, intended to let in light but not provide an open view.  They look like you could squeeze through them but might have a hard time of it.  Besides that, there is also the manager's office - the door is closed so you can't see in there right now, but odds are there's another access point there.