In Character: Talking to Treona.   Posted by Dungeon Engine.Group: 0
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 37 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Sat 11 Aug 2018
at 21:03
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
"Lady Treona, I may have missed it, but do we have a timeline for this mission?"

"If we have the time, we can begin working the fringes, taking out small groups of goblins and kobolds on our terms, and leaving scenes, totems or whatever that will generate fear and rumors muttered in their dark warrens..."

Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 46 posts
Sat 11 Aug 2018
at 22:54
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tumanako's eyes go wide at Ehryk's suggestion and nods approvingly.
Lady Eryssia ir'Rabdor
 Human Paladin, 26 posts
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 02:24
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Eryssia had been silent all the way. She wasn't one for thinking, so it made sense for her to listen. However "That kind of tactics are dishonorable. It is way more honorable to fly, teleport or even sneak into the place. Besides, we cannot take forever to do this. If there's a slaying stone out there, the more we take to get to it, the more likely it gets used."
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 38 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 02:51
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Ehryk shrugged, "We're about to attempt to recover a powerful weapon from a city overrun by vermin. Honorable? How do you weigh honor? Is getting ourselves killed, failing our mission, and perhaps allowing this thing to be used for nefarious purposes... honorable? Which honor is of more worth?"

"Forgive me, I'm not questioning your devotion to principle... I simply point out a difference of perspective. We seem to agree that this mission, of itself, is honorable, but we see things differently as to approach."

He raised a piece of meat to take a bite. His white teeth, framed by oddly exaggerated canines, sank in and tore off a bite. He chewed for a moment before swallowing and awaiting Lady Treona's response.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 54 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 07:56
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
In reply to Ehryk (msg # 29):

Moya taps her chin. "I think both of you have a point. It's a question of risk.

"Goblins aren't known for military discipline, but Kobolds are, like, masters of defensive warfare. With good commanders, I don't think a guerilla campaign of terror would make them run. It might just make them dig in even more, which would make further assaults l, like, waaay harder. But if it works and the goblins flee, maybe it would be a lot easier. It's a risky toss-up,"
shrugged Moya.

"On the other hand, a sneaky campaign where we try to keep ourselves quiet might mean we gotta, ugh, trudge through the swamp more, and could be a lot more exhausting for us, and we have to be careful to get out before the whole camp mobilizes and nabs us, but it would be a lot less risky, I think. Town's probably big enough that they can't watch all the walls. Also if we're caught, we might not be executed or tortured as terrorists and could get a chance to escape. And if we can break into camp stealthily, we might be able to catch the commanders sleeping or peeing and assassinate them which would probably disperse the army. Probably that's 'dishonorable' though.

"Oh, I had another thought: where does this town get it's water? Swamp water isn't very good for drinking. There might be a decent river, and if so maybe we could approach from downriver and escape by boat too? At least we could avoid the swamp that way..."
she grumbles.

Then Moya addresses Treona and Alkirk directly with a sweet smile. "But you guys know the area, know the town, and have had lots longer to think about this. You've gotta have some plan or idea of your own. C'mon, spill!"
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 104 posts
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 19:37
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Moya of Argaian:
Looking over the maps, Moya considers the options. "This town's way bigger than I thought. We'd need an army to properly reconquer it. Unless you figure cutting off the head - like, the hobgoblins and bugbears - would send the goblins running or something? Are we supposed to be, like, assassins? Or are you more worried just about getting the Stone?

Alkirk says: "I'd be surprised if a small group could persuade the goblins to leave, even if any leaders were killed. Goblins may be undisciplined but they're not much less dangerous as a mob. That's how they conquered the town in the first place, after all.

"I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I would dearly love to see Kiris Dahn restored to its former glory, but I'm not expecting that now."

Moya of Argaian:
"Hmm. If nobody knew it was there, where could it be? Someplace important enough that people might have gathered there if they were in trouble, but not so important or busy cuz nobody found it or remembered it was there. Maybe the temples? Nine Sovereigns, nine Slaying Stones? Or maybe the library? I mean, no offence Treona, but nobody reads every book in a library. I dunno..."


"Yes," she replies. "It could quite possibly be in the library."

Prester:
He rubs his hand over his mouth, "But the entire town full of goblins of multiple stripes are definitely going to complicate things.  Alkirk?  Do you have any sort of family holdings in the city proper?"

Alkirk says: "Well, apart from some of the property owned by some of the more successful merchants, the Kiris family 'held' the entire town. There was our ancestral home, which I mentioned, maybe a barn or a warehouse or two, in the trade district."

Prester:
Back on the topic at hand, Prester looked out the window pointedly, "I don't think trudging through a swamp right now is any kind of good idea.  But I doubt the main gate is any better.  Do we have any other options?"

Alkirk says: "The river is quite swimmable. No doubt the rains have swollen it some, but if one were to start at the north end, one could probably cross before being carried down to the bridge."

Prester:
He looks to Treona and Alkirk, "How bad is the swamp in this kind of weather?  Is it even possible to cross with all that extra water?"

Alkirk says: "I can't say for certain, but my sense was that it didn't change much. It's swampy and heavy rains didn't change fact very much. Rain might even make it more navigable by boat or raft."

Ehryk:
"Lady Treona, I may have missed it, but do we have a timeline for this mission?"

"Well," says Treona. "first of all, I thank you, but I'm no 'Lady.' As for a timeline, well, it's been eight years, so maybe a few days won't make much difference. On the other hand, there's been time for others to learn about the slaying stones too, just as I have. I would not assume we were the only ones seeking it. If we thought it was lost forever, we might have waited longer to hire someone to locate it."

Moya of Argaian:
"On the other hand, a sneaky campaign where we try to keep ourselves quiet might mean we gotta, ugh, trudge through the swamp more, and could be a lot more exhausting for us, and we have to be careful to get out before the whole camp mobilizes and nabs us, but it would be a lot less risky, I think. Town's probably big enough that they can't watch all the walls.

Alkirk says: "There are no walls to speak of. The river kept us well enough protected... until it didn't."

Moya of Argaian:
"Oh, I had another thought: where does this town get it's water? Swamp water isn't very good for drinking. There might be a decent river, and if so maybe we could approach from downriver and escape by boat too? At least we could avoid the swamp that way..." she grumbles.

Treona traces the river on the map. "There are wells throughout the city, but the river is constant source of fresh water. Up or down river of the town, one would cross to find the swamp between them and the town. But the town does have a long shoreline along this bend. Once need only brave the river."

Moya of Argaian:
Then Moya addresses Treona and Alkirk directly with a sweet smile. "But you guys know the area, know the town, and have had lots longer to think about this. You've gotta have some plan or idea of your own. C'mon, spill!"

"Yes," says Alkirk. "Our plan was to hire you...."

"You'd have to scout yourselves to be sure, but I don't believe the town has turned into a military garrison - something I've pointed out in my letters to King Boranel about retaking the town. To my knowledge, no one else has tried to take the town in the past eight years, giving the goblins no reason to spend any effort on things like organized patrols or dedicated security.

"Which isn't to say that they can't or won't get organized rapidly if they find a reason. Just that, there might be some initial softness that a small group such as yourselves could exploit."
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 55 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 20:13
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 31):

"So, how 'bout this, guys:" asks Moya of those she's serving with, putting her hand on her hip and standing straight. "Let's see if we can borrow a boat or two and row closer to town. We don't have to get right in view, but it would make things, like, sooo much easier. You guys have one?" she asks, glancing at her employers.

"Anyhoo, we can try scouting for ourselves, see what we think of things up close. Who knows, it could even turn out to be a cakewalk or whatever! If it works well, we keep at it until we find the stone and finish the mission. If not, maybe we try Ehryk's idea.

"Either way, let's pick a plan, cuz I'm hungry and maps are boring! Can I get a 'hell yeah'?"
asks Moya with a fist-pump.
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 47 posts
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 20:33
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tumanako nods. "I also weary of this discussion. I propose that we accept Moya's plan unless there is a better way to scout first within our abilities. Anyone?"
Prester
 Human Wizard, 37 posts
 AC 15 F13 R15 W15
 24/24 Surge 8/8
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 21:33
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
"Hell yeah?" Prester repeats.

Curious expression for the current circumstance, but Prester wasn't a teenager so his opinion on these things didn't matter.

He shrugs his shoulders, "Hell yeah."
Tom Darkstorm
 Human Scout, 18 posts
 AC 16 HP 22
 FOR 14 REF 16 WILL 13
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 22:19
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tom has been silent while the others talk. The mention of his parents peaked his interest though.

What do you mean? Are they still alive?

While surveying the map he adds, To be honest the map looks outdated. And I do not think a direct approach is wise. This is best served as a covert operation. We would be too easily overwhelmed by the goblins. The only way to be sure how to enter or leave the city is by doing a scouting mission first as mentioned before. Which is my specialty.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 57 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Sun 12 Aug 2018
at 22:31
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
In reply to Tom Darkstorm (msg # 35):

Moya smirks at Tom. "Tch, come on, not everyone's an orphan. But it seems as if we got enough interest to go scouting, eh? Anyone have any idea when the storm will pass?"
Lady Eryssia ir'Rabdor
 Human Paladin, 27 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 03:05
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
"It seems we all agree to do scouting first."
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 39 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 15:37
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
"We really can't make further plans without gathering some more information on what we're getting ourselves into." Ehryk agreed with Tom.

"I think we're probably settled on that. When shall we leave?"
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 58 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 16:02
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
In reply to Ehryk (msg # 38):

"How 'bout after breakfast? I mean, Goblins and Kobolds can see in the dark just as well as daylight, so we might as well not put ourselves at a disadvantage or whatever. And maybe the storm will be done by then, probably," says Moya hopefully. "In the meantime, not that I need it, but I wanna get my beauty sleep. I'll just set myself up wherever, mkay?"
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 48 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 17:24
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tumanako nods. "A reasonable plan. I agree with scouting and the need for sleep prior to heading out. It is worth noting, however, that some of us do not see well in the dark so we will need to bring illumination with us to scout effectively." His face is serious and matter-of-fact.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 107 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 19:03
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Moya of Argaian:
"So, how 'bout this, guys:" asks Moya of those she's serving with, putting her hand on her hip and standing straight. "Let's see if we can borrow a boat or two and row closer to town. We don't have to get right in view, but it would make things, like, sooo much easier. You guys have one?" she asks, glancing at her employers.

Treona shakes her head. "Haven't had much call for a boat here in the foothills."

Tom Darkstorm:
Tom has been silent while the others talk. The mention of his parents peaked his interest though.

What do you mean? Are they still alive?

Treona looks doubtful. "All I have are negative results: no one has heard from them, and my divinations have been less than clear. I cannot think why they would not have contacted us in the last eight years if they were alive. So, I hold little hope. I am sorry."

Moya of Argaian:
In reply to Tom Darkstorm (msg # 35):

Moya smirks at Tom. "Tch, come on, not everyone's an orphan. But it seems as if we got enough interest to go scouting, eh? Anyone have any idea when the storm will pass?"

Again it's Treona who replies. "I can't be sure, but it will probably pass by morning." She sighs and looks around her living space. "I'm going to sleep in my bed upstairs, because I'm an old woman and I've earned it. You all are welcome to find space on the floor up here or on the ground floor."
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 59 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 19:43
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 41):

quote:
Treona shakes her head. "Haven't had much call for a boat here in the foothills."

Moya pouts. "Aww, poopy. Guess we walk. Well, later, gators, I'm gonna sleep. Don't touch my stuff, 'kay?"
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 41 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 02:05
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Ehryk shook his head at the odd young warrioress. At times it was as if she was speaking a different language, and quite often it seemed as if she were cramming many extra words into each breath. Then again, Ehryk had been something of a loner, content with the company of the wild things on the fringes of the forests he was wont to hunt, and not one for frequent nor encompassing conversation.

"Thanks again for the fare and shelter," the hunter said to Treona and Alkirk. "And for the work... I pray that it'll not take us long to accomplish the task you've given us."

"Until morning..." he said to his companions.

Retreating to a spot away from the others, Ehryk spread his blanket on the floor and curled up into a fitful sleep, often interrupted by gasps or murmurs as if his dreams were a great chase wherein he was both predator... and prey.
Prester
 Human Wizard, 38 posts
 AC 15 F13 R15 W15
 24/24 Surge 8/8
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 02:16
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Prester stands and nods to Treona, "Indeed.  Thank you."

He finds a comfy chair with an ottoman and collapses there.  Finally hanging his damp things up to dry properly.

His dragonmark glows slightly in the darkness, making for a very unsettling nightlight.
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 50 posts
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 02:22
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tumanako nods and turns. He quietly asks for a place where he could find a place to rest and reclines there, leaving his staff near him. He falls into a deep sleep with fitful bursts.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 110 posts
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 21:54
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
You awake to the sounds of bubbling liquid, the crackle of a large fire in the hearth, and Treona's voice intoning a ritual. There's also a smell which, like the crackling and bubbling, is coming from the hearth: it's rather nauseating and appears to issue forth from the roiling concoction in the cauldron. The half-orc seer concludes her intonation and there's a sound as of a drawing of breath, and a sense as of someone standing just outside your peripheral vision.

"My apologies for waking you," says Treona, unconvincingly, "But I had to refresh my servitor - you didn't think I did my own cooking and cleaning, did you?"

The rain has stopped, but it's still dark out. Alkirk gathers you together to make sure you have the detection rituals and the components, to direct you to the town from the tower, and to go over the objective.

"Locate the final slaying stone and return it here. I can't stop you from using it if you feel it's necessary, but I urge you not to and only ask you to bring back any remnants from its use.

"You're welcome back here if you need Treona's services or further advice. Do, uh, try not to lead anyone back here.

"When you're ready, I'll lead you to within sight of the main road."
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 44 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 05:50
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Ehryk was up early, spending some time in prayer though much of his mind was filled with the sensation of running wildly through a forest. As the others stirred, he checked his bow, arrows, fletchings, string and the rest of his gear to make sure all was in order. He donned his gear, pacing a little before the fire to both warm himself and settle everything in place.

He indulged in the hostess's hospitality, eating a good breakfast, and then he waited patiently, his thoughts on the journey ahead, while the rest of his companions prepared to leave.
Tom Darkstorm
 Human Scout, 19 posts
 AC 16 HP 22
 FOR 14 REF 16 WILL 13
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 02:32
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tom was late getting up but as always at the very least professional enough to dress quickly and prepare himself for the travel ahead. He was still curious about what Treona meant about his parents. The memories were just too painful for him to divulge her for more information. But now he had summoned up the courage to ask.

Lady Treona if I may ask what are the details you were about to mention to me about my parents last night? I want to know.
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 52 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 00:48
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tumanako wakes, looking grumpy, and has nothing to say for most of the morning. At Tom's question, though, he stops and quietly listens.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 123 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 19:11
Re: In Character: Talking to Treona
Tom Darkstorm:
Lady Treona if I may ask what are the details you were about to mention to me about my parents last night? I want to know.

Treona looks at Tom with as gentle an expression as her half-savage countenance can manage. "I'm afraid I must have been unclear. I have no information... other than the fact that my divinations were inconclusive. That is, I should have been able to learn positively that they were either dead or alive, but the responses to my castings have been non-answers. That, at least to a seer is interesting, though not a reason to believe they are alive.

"I hope you can learn more in the town, and I hope it brings you peace."