In Character: Tackling the Town.   Posted by Dungeon Engine.Group: 0
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 103 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 6/8 (6)
Sat 20 Oct 2018
at 23:31
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Ehryk shuddered again, but seemed to snap out of the thrall he'd been under during the conversation with the strange, shadowy creature.

"I have no idea what that was about," he said quietly do Moya, "but I hope it's resolution comes long after we're done here..."

He wiped a hand over his face and then prepared to cross over to the library. "Alright, I'll head over. Wait for my signal... May the Redemptress quiet our steps."

And then like the animals he frequently hunted, Ehryk was off into the twilight.

Stealth: Ehryk rolled 11 - Gah! This roller lately...
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 225 posts
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 14:20
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Ehryk (msg # 145):

The area is on alert after the ankheg attack, so when Ehryk's step sends a loose shingle clattering to the paving stones it draws some attention. The party will have to clear out quickly and quietly if they don't want to raise the town's alert level any further.


Right now, Ehryk's Stealth check is failing by two. If you'd like to try to aid him, please roll Stealth, DC 10. Success grants a +2, failure a -1, but given the asynchronous nature of the game, I won't ding the party if someone rolls a failure after someone else rolls a success.
Prester
 Human Wizard, 83 posts
 AC 19 F13 R15 W15
 29/29 Surges 8/10
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 15:20
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Prester tries to keep quiet, but he's not used to the armor quiet yet.

He ends up doing more harm than good.

OOC: Sorry guys, losing those cantrips hurts more than I realized.


10:18, Today: Prester rolled 7 using 1d20-1.  Stealth, Aid Ehryk.

Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 139 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 15:34
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Moya curses and says, "To the Hells with this place! It's getting dark, we'll be at even more of a disadvantage, and we've gotten nowhere. We won't be able to rest in the Library even if we get there with goblins looking for us. Let's get out of here and find someplace to lay low." Her eyes flash as she scans the increasingly benighted streets and tries to remember the quickest and easiest path out of town before leading the way.

I'm thinking Streetwise.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 141 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 16:04
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Moya of Argaian (msg # 148):

Today: Moya of Argaian rolled 2 using 1d20.  Stealth to aid.

I saw Prester similarly rolled poorly. At least we can discard with the pretence of stealth and start my plan.


Moya picks up more shingles and flings them wildly off the roof while singing in rough, drunken Goblin to misdirect those below.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 227 posts
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 16:35
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
The chattering in goblin takes on a different pitch and there's a disorganized scramble in the plaza as vague plans of action are tentatively suggested and rejected. Suddenly, there comes a louder voice, speaking in sharp tones, and conveying orders: "Shaddup!" "Line up!" "You! Report!" A larger goblin, commonly called a hobgoblin enters the plaza. He's armed and armored and seems to be taking command of security. For now, he's being methodical about it, playing it safe, so while his glances around the area include some toward your hiding place, he doesn't immediately dispatch a search party your way.


You could still make it to the library if you went flat out right now (Acrobatics or Endurance, DC 13).

You can back away from this area with relative ease. There are disused fields to the south and east of you, and the steam baths to the northeast. Semi-organized goblin patrols will soon be on the streets between you and another other parts of town outside of the kobold slums. The fields are somewhat unknown territory, but it's probable that some hiding place could be found there.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 142 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 17:23
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 150):

Moya doesn't want to be trapped in the Library. They were found by that Mr. Gallows easily enough, and the Goblins below are active. She strongly suggests retreat to the fields.
Prester
 Human Wizard, 84 posts
 AC 19 F13 R15 W15
 29/29 Surges 8/10
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 22:36
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Prester advocates making a run for it.  They're here now, and the Library makes a much better place to hole up for the evening...especially as opposed to wide open fields.
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 104 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 6/8 (6)
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 05:53
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
"I'm sorry," Ehryk whispered. "I didn't realize that ledge was loose... But let's go, if we go quickly we can make it! We're here, so close. We've just got to go right now!... Prester's right."
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 143 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 09:03
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
"So go," hisses Moya in exasperation, sword manifesting in hand. "Don't slip!"
Prester
 Human Wizard, 85 posts
 AC 19 F13 R15 W15
 29/29 Surges 8/10
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 13:42
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Does anyone have better than +2 in either Acrobatics or Endurance?  Because if not, I'll make the main check.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:54, Wed 24 Oct 2018.

Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 120 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 21:22
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
I have Endurance at +10. I suggest that I be primary. Here's my roll, in case needed:

17:22, Today: Tumanako rolled 15 using 1d20+10 with rolls of 5.  Endurance.

Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 106 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 6/8 (6)
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 01:31
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Ehryk moved. He was confident in his decision and knew they had little time to act. He followed closely after Tumanako, attempting to be light on his feet.

Acrobatics: Ehryk rolled 17
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 230 posts
Sun 28 Oct 2018
at 22:53
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
The party makes it across the rapidly darkening square, apparently without drawing any new attention to themselves.

The library is an imposing structure, and somewhat different architecturally from the other buildings you've seen thus far. It's made of grey stone blocks that appear to interlock without the need for mortar and which seem a little bit oversized for typical human construction. There is an opening constructed at ground level that leads into the cellar of the building. There's a set of heavy doors that you're able to close and bar quietly behind you.

On the inside of the library, the noises from outside are almost completely muffled. There's also no light at all, which means the party will need to activate their own. The space you're in is quiet and there doesn't seem to be a downside to cautiously activating a sunrod.

Once there's some light, you can tell that you're in a storage space that has nearly the area of the building overhead. The wooden ceiling is held up with stone pillars and is low enough that you don't imagine this was meant as a living space. The volume is crammed with a variety of oddments: broken furniture, smashed crates and barrels, crumbling statues, and the like. Most of this is covered with a fur of dust, probably more than 8 years worth.

The mass of detritus is enough that there's no clear path from the cellar entrance to any other part of the room. The most open area is at the far end, where the floor seems to have been cleared out from before a set of stone stairs leading up.


If you don't use a sunrod, let me know if you use another source of illumination. If you don't use any illumination, let me know that, too.

Passive Perception: Despite the walls and floor being made of stone, there's a damp, earthy smell in the basement.

Status: All of the PCs and the two iron defenders are in the cellar of the central library, on the far side of a long, junk-filled room from the only other obvious opening.
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 122 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 19:54
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Dungeon Engine:
On the inside of the library, the noises from outside are almost completely muffled. There's also no light at all, which means the party will need to activate their own. The space you're in is quiet and there doesn't seem to be a downside to cautiously activating a sunrod.


Being the sort of person who is able to have a hand free, Tumanako cracks a sunrod and holds it.

quote:
The mass of detritus is enough that there's no clear path from the cellar entrance to any other part of the room. The most open area is at the far end, where the floor seems to have been cleared out from before a set of stone stairs leading up


Tumanako points to the stairs going up. "It would be prudent to check upstairs before we try to settle in. And we were going to try to stay in the basement, yes? That may require some work."
Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 107 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 6/8 (6)
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 06:46
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
With a nod, Ehryk padded over to the stairs to look for tracks in the dust as well as to get an idea of what might lay above and beyond.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 144 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Wed 31 Oct 2018
at 18:21
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Moya is curious about some of the odds and ends in the cellar and poked around. The fact that it seems undisturbed since the fall of the town seems to correlate with the still-undiscovered slaying stone makes her think there might be clues. Besides which, there may be valuables for the plundering.

Between her searching for historical artifacts, Moya suggests, "Hey, anyone want to play with that ritual we got from Treona?"
Prester
 Human Wizard, 86 posts
 AC 19 F13 R15 W15
 29/29 Surges 8/10
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 05:35
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Prester pulls out a long thin book, like the sort accountants use (and were available on the cheap).  This one is old and very dingy, but rather carefully cared for.

"I can give the ritual a shot, but I'd prefer to see if I can transcribe it first.  If all we have is three shots, I'd rather not waste one here.  But that will take a some time at least."

he looks around their little hidey-hole and doesn't care for what he sees.  It looked like the only things left were things people thought worthless.

"So the question is, hole up down here until morning?  Or make sure the rest of the building is clean first?"

So far they had been very good about not fighting very much, but it had been a rather draining day none the less.

OOC: is it possible to write the ritual down in my spellbook?  And is it worth the trouble to do so?
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 125 posts
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 21:27
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tumanako shrugs. "Do as you see fit. I'm going to find someplace to lie down."

He starts moving into the room, trying to find a way to clear a path through the junk.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 147 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 11:41
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Tumanako (msg # 163):

Gathering whatever she found, Moya nods. "I'm with Tuma. this place is dusty enough nobody's gonna look for us here. There's enough chaos topside already. Hey boy, stand watch," she curtly commands her caniform combat construct.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 235 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 14:31
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Moya of Argaian (msg # 164):

As yet incapable of accepting complex commands, the iron defender continues to follow Moya at a short distance.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 239 posts
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 16:52
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
The party has been resting for about 4 hours when the chime goes off, awakening the party. Someone has entered the library.

There are several gruff, goblinoid voices and a flicker of orange light leaks down the stairs into the basement. Moya can understand them (so I'll assume she conveys what's being said.)

One says "... and I told you that this building has been commandeered by the Smashers. If you don't like it, take it up with Hu-Jat!" A heavy door slams. "Ungrateful little squats," mutters the voice. "Happy to let us face orcs or Brelanders for them, just so long as we sit in the cold and muck while they're warm and cozy." A spitting sound, and a chorus of agreement-like grunts. "Not that this place is much to look at."

"It's the old library," comes a voice that is quieter and more feminine, but not any less harsh. "If the squats haven't used every last page as bum wad, there might be something here I can make use of, to give us an advantage. Or perhaps augment our pay with."

General agreement with this. "You two!" says the first voice. "The squats said there was firewood in the basement. Head down there and bring some up. And keep an eye out for anything that might be worth something." Two sharp affirmatives, and then two sets of steps heading for the basement.
[hr]
I assume the party is fairly far back and concealed, and isn't using any light that can't be easily doused. You can make a group Stealth check to hide, DC 13.

"Brelanders" means the more-or-less civilized folk of Breland, the country you're technically in right now.
Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 129 posts
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 23:28
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tumanako moves to his feet clumsily and clumsily tries to move to hide. He almost trips over a piece of debris almost right away and freezes instead. He tries, though, to warn the party about the tone of the goblins' approach to help the others.

Stealth is about as bad as T can get--at least the number is not below 0. Insight of 12 to assist the party with the stealth check.

18:26, Today: Tumanako rolled 0 using 1d20-2.  Stealth.
18:26, Today: Tumanako rolled 12 using 1d20+9.  Insight to help group Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:38, Fri 16 Nov 2018.

Prester
 Human Wizard, 89 posts
 AC 19 F13 R15 W15
 29/29 Surges 8/10
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 23:19
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Prester hissed back a curse, and quickly began dousing the light sources, and waking everyone up very very quietly.

OOC: I believe I will be making the principle roll for this one.

17:14, Today: Prester rolled 19 using 1d20-1.  Stealth.

Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 112 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 6/8 (6)
Sun 18 Nov 2018
at 07:31
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
He had dropped into a deep and restful slumber. The darkness of the cellar seemed to be almost like a wolf den in the early spring when survival meant conserving energy rather than exerting it. Ehryk handn't realized how tired he was until he was awakened. It took a moment for him to shake away the cobwebs and realize what was happening. Fumbling around for his bow, he clumsily nocked an arrow and attempted to hide.

Stealth: Ehryk rolled 7