In Character: Tackling the Town.   Posted by Dungeon Engine.Group: 0
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 117 posts
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 20:28
In Character: Tackling the Town
When you're all ready to leave, Alkirk leads you back the way you came, but turns more northward after you cross the bridge where you fought the wolves. You come to the top of a slight rise and he gestures with his stick to the northeast and down a slight slope. "At the bottom, you'll find the main road, which leads right up to Kiris Dahn. I don't imagine you want to try to walk straight in, but the road will let you find your way to the town. From what Treona and I have been able to tell, it isn't patrolled, so you should be able to get as close as you like.

"If you don't have any other questions or concerns, I'm going to head back to the tower now, the better to avoid any more wolves. Thank you for your efforts, and I wish you luck."

. . .

The land around the town, except to the north east where there's some flatter land and the marsh, is somewhat hilly, heavily forested and apparently not maintained in any way by the town's current occupants, so it's not difficult to get a view of the area from a hidden and slightly elevated locale.

The layout is close to what the map showed. The slum area is more densly packed with small shacks and huts than one might have guess from the map, but otherwise it matches pretty well. You can make out the key areas and buildings Alkirk pointed out.

The river is a bit swollen but not flowing particularly fast. It flows under a wide, sturdy bridge which connects the main road to the town. Across the bridge is a rickety palisade that doesn't correspond to the map; apparently the goblins build it to replace the original gate, which appears to be in too much disrepair to keep anyone out. That said, the goblins' palisade doesn't really seem much better than the old gate.

Around the gate, on the bridge and on the opposite side of the bridge are about a dozen goblins. Some are holding goblin-sized spears and there are enough other spears lying on the ground or leaning against something or being used as fishing poles that all of them could be armed in a moment. They're all wearing bits of ill-fitting armor, or similar accoutrements, but some of this is laying to the side.

As you're watching, three goblins come out through the palisade. One is slightly fatter than the other two, who are carrying their own spears. There's a panicked bustling, some sharp words, and the two new arrivals swap places with two of the originals, who collect their stuff, more or less, and tramp back in with the fat one.

So, what now?


Status:
Location: In wooded low hills outside Kiris Dahn. Hidden fifty yards or so from bridge. A mile and a half or so from the marsh, if going around the town.
Illumination: Daylight.
Season: Late summer (month of Lharvion)
Time of day: Early afternoon.
Passive Perception: As above. Active Perception could pick up the fat goblins words, if one speaks Goblin.
Passive Insight: The goblins at the gate are unhappy and distracted. More details will require direct interaction with the goblins.
Notes:
The river would take a DC 10 Athletics check to cross at a leisurely pace, right at the surface. I've tried not to describe it as highly difficult. Failure doesn't mean drowning, just complication.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 65 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 21:29
In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 1):

I speak Goblin.

Today: Moya of Argaian rolled 1 using 1d20-1.  Perception to hear Goblin.

Nope!

How about we head through the swamps? I'm guessing we have a couple wilderness folks who can navigate us off-trail to get somewhere less guarded that isn't also on the other side of a fat river.

I think my best contribution will be to provide a diversion or distraction by using Bluff and either a thrown rock or ventriloquist act or actually letting some Goblin patrol that approaches think I'm a Goblin doing something spectacularly yuck even for a Goblin, like, dunno, complaining about fleas or something.

Unless we wanna walk right up and say hi!

This message was last edited by the player at 21:30, Thu 16 Aug 2018.

Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 53 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 00:51
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Dungeon Engine:
"If you don't have any other questions or concerns, I'm going to head back to the tower now, the better to avoid any more wolves. Thank you for your efforts, and I wish you luck."


Tumanako raises his hand in parting. "May your way always be lit, and your foes far away. We look forward to seeing you again." He then grips his staff firmly and turns to go with the others.

Moya of Argaian:
I think my best contribution will be to provide a diversion or distraction by using Bluff and either a thrown rock or ventriloquist act or actually letting some Goblin patrol that approaches think I'm a Goblin doing something spectacularly yuck even for a Goblin, like, dunno, complaining about fleas or something.

Unless we wanna walk right up and say hi!


At Maya's suggestion, Tumanako winces. "I am not in favor of 'just walking up.' I like your first plan better."
Prester
 Human Wizard, 39 posts
 AC 15 F13 R15 W15
 24/24 Surge 8/8
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 01:18
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
OOC: What are the dimensions of this bridge--how long, how wide?  If we engage in combat, I might be able to toss a decent number into the river.  That one At-Will of mine has a RIDICULOUS range.

Also is there an alternative to combat available?  Can we sneak in from the swamp and avoid this encounter or have we already snuck in from the swamp and this is what we found?


Prester looks concerned, "Hang on...we might be able to pull this off..."

He studies the bridge and gate, looking for some advantage.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 120 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 02:47
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
The bridge is wide enough for a wagon pulled by two horses, with some room to spare. It has a low guard wall that looks a bit like it was added later, possibly after some long-forgotten first wagon-pedestrian incident.

The bridge has also seen better days, but was much more overbuilt.

You can barely smell the swamp from its location on the far side of the town, but there's no mistaking it. The woods you're scouting the town from smell much nicer. Less like death.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 66 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 06:57
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Prester (msg # 4):

OOC: if we fight our way in, we're up against a Goblin army on high alert. We're level 1. I don't like those odds.

Especially if we can't find what we're looking for right away. If we need to retreat and recover, having everyone be totally aware of us is a problem.

And from a Meta perspective, skill challenges rarely cost resources on a failure, but combat encounters almost always cost resources even on a success. And both go e XP, etc.

Let's treat combat as something to avoid for now.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:12, Fri 17 Aug 2018.

Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 55 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 13:10
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tumanako, meanwhile, hides and watches the goblins' behavior, looking for patterns of inaction or ways that their apparent boredom could be exploited.

Insight of 15.
09:10, Today: Tumanako rolled 15 using 1d20+9.  Insight--patterns of behavior.

Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 48 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 18:49
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Ehryk crept to a good point to overwatch, allowing Tom to get into a good position as well. He kept a lookout around them in case the goblins had sent out a patrol. They certainly didn't need to alert the entire tribe, nor get flanked while they scouted.

"Best we avoid contact until we've seen what we need to see..." He whispered.
Lady Eryssia ir'Rabdor
 Human Paladin, 28 posts
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 02:49
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Eryssia just went close, trying not to get in the way and call attention to her.

21:47, Today: Lady Eryssia ir'Rabdor rolled 5 using 1d20+3.  Stealth.

Tumanako
 Half-dwarf Invoker, 58 posts
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 18:37
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tumanako tries to move in with the others. He does the following: he ducks down under the water of the swamp and holds his breath until he senses that the goblins are distracted. He then moves a bit forward, not quietly at all, but then ducks down under the water and holds his breath again.

Using Endurance and (for what it's worth) Stealth. Also see my Insight roll above. Making the assumption that we're approaching by swamp to scout.

14:35, Today: Tumanako rolled 23,1 using 1d20+10,1d20-2.  Endurance, Stealth.

Ehryk
 Shifter cleric, 50 posts
 AC16, F11-R13-W16
 25/25 - Surge 8/8 (6)
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 19:09
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
"I'd like to go take a look a little deeper into the swamp, but we may have an opportunity here. While the rest of you approach, I'll hang back and create a distraction..." He reached into his satchel and drew out some dried boar meat.

"I'll go a little ways off to the edge of the forest, light a smokey little fire and put this over to create some smell. I doubt those goblins are going to pass up checking it out and maybe getting a little snack. That should either draw them all out, or thin their numbers a bit, give them something other to think about while we get in..."


Nature: Ehryk rolled 23 using 1d20+4.
Stealth: Ehryk rolled 23 using 1d20+4.

Tom Darkstorm
 Human Scout, 20 posts
 AC 16 HP 22
 FOR 14 REF 16 WILL 13
Sat 18 Aug 2018
at 23:10
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tom was always taught that sometimes talking too much was a bad idea. Better to be silent and observe rather than talk and make noise or make obvious suggestions. So he keeps silent and looks around. He is looking for more accessible places to enter the city without being noticed. He is also using this based on what he remembers of the city and what he sees now. He also bases it on what he can see from the goblins patterns of patrols.

19:07, Today: Tom Darkstorm rolled 24 using 1d20+7.  Perception Check.
19:08, Today: Tom Darkstorm rolled 21 using 1d20+7. Dungeoneering Check.

Dungeon Engine
 GM, 130 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 07:13
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Careful observation reveals some wide gaps in the scope of the goblins' watch. At times, such as when there's a personnel change or when one of them thinks they have a bite on their fishing line, the goblins are all looking in one direction or another. It won't be hard to sneak past them, but if it's not done right, even this lot will figure out that someone is in the town. Already one or two have looked the party's way when a twig has snapped under someone's foot, though they haven't seen fit to investigate and the suspicious ones have now been rotated out.

Tumanako and Ehryk are busy helping the party move quietly and take advantage of the goblins' inattention. Moya, Lady Eryssia, Tom and Prester are free to contribute in similar ways or in other ways. The timbers of the bridge are slippery from the rain and rot, so these will have to be navigated carefully or a more strenuous route taken. The goblins' current moment of distraction is about to draw to a close, so some other distraction would not go amiss.

What do Moya, Eryssia, Tom and Prester do>
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 72 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 08:22
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 13):

When a patrol gets too close to the party, Moya makes her voice scratchy, gruff, and even higher pitched as she complains in Goblin, "Ahh! Ohh! My stomach! What bad food! Owww, stinky wet butt!" combined with wet sounds as a Bluff in an attempt to dissuade investigation.

Today: Moya of Argaian rolled 22 using 1d20+9.  Bluff to dissuade investigation
Prester
 Human Wizard, 44 posts
 AC 15 F13 R15 W15
 24/24 Surge 8/8
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 12:03
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Prester gets some of the nearby swamp mud and draws a rune on everyone's foreheads.

"This should prevent them from noticing us.  So long as no one does anything outlandish, they will ignore us."

OOC: I use the Chameleon's Mask cantrip to roll my Arcana Skill instead of my Stealth skill.

06:56, Today: Prester rolled 13 using 1d20+9.  stealth check DC 12 chameleons mask says arcana=stealth

Tom Darkstorm
 Human Scout, 22 posts
 AC 16 HP 22
 FOR 14 REF 16 WILL 13
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 19:42
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Tom tries to sneak around to get by the goblins without being spotted.

15:05, Today: Tom Darkstorm rolled 10 using 1d20+9.  Stealth Check.
Dungeon Engine
 GM, 136 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 05:46
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
Slowly but skilfully, the party makes it past the guards at the bridge and palisade and into the town. Together you help each other stay quiet and unobserved, despite it being broad daylight. These goblins simply aren't paying close attention and while the guard is going between one form of disorganization to another, the party, hidden by Prester's magic and Moya's misdirection, and other contributions from the party, the task is accomplished.

The adventurers are now inside the town proper. It's original name was Kiris Dahn, but Moya comes to learn from listening to the guards and reading what's scrawled across the top of the palisade that the goblins call this place "Gorizbadd."

Coming across the bridge and through the remains of the front gate delivers the party to the area of the town in which the lower class workers lived - the slums, in other words. It was probably not a wonderful part of town even before the goblins arrived; the buildings are short, small, squalid, and crammed together, leaving only dark, narrow alleys. Now, though, it is definitely unpleasant. Trash and wreckage line the main street and almost choke many of the side streets. It's not uncommon to see a burnt husk of a building falling in on itself. It's some kind of testament to the original design of the town, that small fires don't simply sweep through the whole district.

At the moment, the party is in some cover near the main thoroughfare and can see northeast a quarter mile or so to the next good-sized intersection before the main road curves enough to block your view. The nicer district begins beyond that intersection. The latest goblin guard change is heading away past the intersection and behind them some of the denizens of these slums are daring to show themselves. These appear to be kobolds, the small lizard-like creatures known to serve as minions to dragons. You see them darting across the street in twos and threes, and picking bird-like at the refuse. Now and then, one comes out of a ruined building clutching something it regards as valuable and then trying to speed away before its find is contested. Sometimes they're successful, sometimes not. Oddly, almost all of this behavior takes place without the kobolds uttering any sounds.

All of the areas Treona and Alkirk indicated as noteworthy are further to the northeast, in the nicer sections of town. The nearest is the library, then the shrines. Furthest away are the old family estate and the hot springs.

So how, generally speaking, does the party proceed?


Remember: please, do not roll skill checks pre-emptively. Describe your course or courses of action and I will let you know if a roll is required.

If you want more information, just ask me out of character. Either I'll tell you, or I'll tell you what the character would need to do to try to learn it.

If you would like to use a particular skill but aren't sure how, please let me know.
Moya of Argaian
 Human Hexblade, 74 posts
 AC 16 F/R/W 14/12/16
 HP 26 Surges 8/8
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 07:44
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
In reply to Dungeon Engine (msg # 17):

Moya whispers, "So I hope this goblins call this place Gorizbadd instead of talking about some guy named Gorr and how he's bad. Hehehe...

"Anyway, like, see how the Kobolds are totally quiet? I figure we can go in loud with clanging metal and pretend to be bugbears or something so all the Kobolds scurry away and don't see that, like, we're not."


In fact, assuming that sooner or later discovery seems imminent, that's precisely what Moya will do, replacing stealth with crude bluster. It's how she learned how to fuel: when grace and skill fail, a well-timed growling yell throws the enemy off-balance while fortifying yourself. Of course, Moya will need to roughen her voice to sound properly Bugbear while grumbling about finding some scrawny kobold to beat up for breakfast.
Tom Darkstorm
 Human Scout, 23 posts
 AC 16 HP 22
 FOR 14 REF 16 WILL 13
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 15:56
Re: In Character: Tackling the Town
No. We should use caution and stealth as much as possible. I don't want to hounded by goblins throughout this mission. And the most important priority here is the Stone.,  Tom whispers and unless there is any objection proceeds to lead the party to the library. He is very slow but certain, keeping cautious and as silent as possible. The important thing is toavoid any goblin patrols along the way.