In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 15 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 15:34
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Restov.  A city of some contradictions.  Restovians consider themselves cultured, because they compare themselves to the uncultured barbarians, trappers, and hunters to the south in the Stolen Lands, but to those from Rostland proper, or certainly to anyone from Issia, it is clear that these people are borderlanders.  Which of course, is not without its benefits.  While the manners of the people of Restov may not be appropriate for the courts in Brevoy, they are not so removed from the wilds to have dulled their cutting edge.  Perhaps this is one reason the Aldori schools still flourish here.

Each of you traveled to Restov for your own reasons.  Some of you with anticipation of the meeting you are about to attend.  Others without a thought that you might be recruited as part of an expedition into the wild Stolen Lands to the south.  But whatever path you took as individuals, you are escorted together into the presence of Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellemius of Restov.  The guard marched forward to only a few feet before the seat of the Lord Mayor and then moved to the left, and took a rest position, opposite another guard to the right of the seat.  The Lord Mayor, a middle aged man, dressed in rich but not gaudy clothing befitting his station, signed the top document in a stack held by an assistant of some sort.  He carried a few extra pounds about his waist, a testament to the success of Restov as an important center of trade for the south of Brevoy.

The Lord Mayor completed the signing of the documents and as his assistant stepped back, he took his first good look at you.  His voice was rich and low as he said, "Welcome. For those of you new to the city, I am Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellesmius.  I have been told that each of you has been recruited, or volunteered, for one of our forays into the Stolen Lands.  You are the group being sent to Oleg's to address the banditry issues in the Greenbelt.  If you are not familiar with the area, Oleg Leveton's trading post is some 90 miles to the west of Restov.  Your charter makes clear your charge, using that trading post as the origin of your efforts."  The Lord Mayor motioned to his assistant, who moved to give each of you a document which he had rolled and tied with a bit of ribbon.

The High Lord continued, "Oleg's trading post is an important foot hold in the area of the Greenbelt.  It must not fail.  But we have received word that it is recently beset by bandits in the area.  We are preparing to send militia for the defense of the trading post, but they will not be ready to be deployed for several more days.  You should arrive ahead of the militia.  Your first task should be assisting the Levetons in the defense of their property.  After that, I and the Swordlords ask that you follow your charter to the best of your ability.  Do you have any questions?"
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 11 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 16:08
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
The short olive-skinned girl clad in leather armor with a backpack on her back, rapier dangling from her side and a silver necklace depicting a lotus flower around her neck. This was the first time Chahna had been this far down south, which was a funny thought if you took into consideration that Brevoy was one of the northernmost places in Golarion. She smiled a little, amused by the thought and the feeling of pride having been able to get this far on her own. She took everything in with excitement, hardly bothering to hide her excitement from the people around her.

As the Lord Mayor introduced himself and greeted the gathered crowd she bowed her head respectfully at the man. She nodded with gratitude as he made details more clear for those, including her, who were not too familiar with the region. She accepted the document with a smile and a nod, returning to listening to the lord explain the situation at Oleg's trading post.

"Chahna Drazzi" She introduced herself with a curtsy before proceeding with the questions: "How much do we know about these bandits, My lord? Chacha asked "Do we have any idea on the numbers and type of people we're going to be dealing with?"

She pondered how much the man truly knew about the group before him, but also she wondered about the Lord himself. She was more familiar with the nobility up north, but she has heard of some characters from the south as well.

OOC:
18:51, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 20 using 1d20+5.  Knowledge: Nobility on The Lord Mayor.

Stormfeather
 player, 8 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 17:49
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
The elf male looks more than a little bit nervous as he's brought into the room, his eyes wrily watching both of the guards as he does his best to hide his discomfort.  He knows he doesn't really belong here, and feels as out of place as an elf can feel around such towering humans.  Standing only 5'4", and weighing too little for such a height, he looks a bit as a human might look in an orcan court.  His feet dont make a sound as he walks into the room, and he holds his tongue throughout the monologue.  When handed the document, he quickly deposits it into his backpack with a quick flick of his arm, and shakes his head against the request for any questions.  He wasn't even sure what this posse was for, and you needed at least that much information to formulate any sort of coherent question, so again... he held his tongue, hoping those with him would ask the right questions.
DM
 GM, 17 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 18:26
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
The Lord Mayor watched Chahna's curtsy with appreciation.  "Not very much, I'm afraid," he replied to her question.  "We know that they have come in number to the trading post and extorted payment and goods from Oleg under threat of violence.  It is likely this is some of the same lot that have been causing problems for the local hunters, trappers, and woodsmen in the area.  Rumors have indicated some bandit strong man in the region known as the Stag Lord, but I have heard nothing of him other than that name."
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 17 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 22:55
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Don't worry, Lord Mayor," said Istvan, powing appropriately to his superior, "I'm sure we'll be able to handle the lot of them and turn the Greenbelt into a model province at no time at all." He puffed out his chest. "Istvan, Lord of the Greenbelt" had a nice ring to it, and he'd been thinking about the possibility of a title since his journey down from Medvyed lands.
DM
 GM, 18 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 23:07
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
The Lord Mayor chuckled, and replied, "Ah, the energy and surety of youth...  where have those days gone.  Let us hold the talk of provinces for a later time, young Medvyed.  We know we have a bandit problem.  Put your mind to that and the exploration of what has become an unknown region so close to our borders.  Success at that first, and then we will see what comes next, eh?"  His words held no sting, only the voice of caution and experience.

The Lord Mayor's assistant quietly made his way to the doors behind you as the conversation progressed.  He opened a door, seemingly in preparation for your departure.

"Any other questions, my friends?" the Lord Mayor asked.
Kendra Winters
 player, 14 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Tue 7 Aug 2018
at 23:21
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Yes. It's about supplies." Another young human woman spoke. Kendra Winters was a little over five and a half feet walk with brown-auburn hair. She wore leathers will metal studs and had a dueling sword strapped to her side. "It'll take us four to five days. We'll need additional provisions or will Oleg be providing provisions when we arrive?"

Kendra accepted the rolled document. She untied the ribbon and made sure to understand what was written.

    The document read:

    Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt.  Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post.  The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered.  The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope.  So witnessed on this 24th day of Talistril, under the watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:09, Wed 08 Aug 2018.

Chahna Drazzi
 player, 12 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 00:15
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Stag... Lord?" Chahna looked quizzically at the Lord Mayor before she shrugged. It was an odd title, but she made a mental note of it for later. Oleg and the rest of the locals should have a better idea of the opposition they would be facing. "Thank you, my Lord." She bowed her head and took a step back after her question was answered.

The young woman glanced at both people who came forth and spoke to the Lord Mayor and the silent Elf in the room, giving each of them a warm smile. She followed in the other woman's footsteps and unrolled the document, reading it as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:02, Wed 08 Aug 2018.

DM
 GM, 19 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 03:04
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
The Lord Mayor smiled and responded, "I expect you to provide for yourselves, my dear.  But I am prepared to give each of you a small deposit to ensure that you have enough funds to make your way to Oleg's.  Tarris has it for you when you depart."  The Lord Mayor indicated his assistant at the door.  He continued, "Once you reach the trading post, you should be able to outfit yourselves, but I expect you to earn your own way through your activities and explorations."

For those that open the document, you find that each of you has a signed and sealed charter, that states:

Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt.  Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post.  The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered.  The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope.  So witnessed on this 24th day of Talistril, under the watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 18 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 04:34
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Let me see that," Istvan said, reaching for his charter before he even received a response. Upon learning the contents, he nodded curtly. "Don't worry, my Lord. We'll bring the rabble to heel."
DM
 GM, 20 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 12:58
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Very well...  I wish you safe travels and good fortune.  See Tarris on your way out," the Lord Mayor says in the way of a dismissal.  Another member of the manor staff approaches and he waves them over and begins a muted conversation that obviously does not involve your party.

The assistant standing beside the open door clears his throat.
Stormfeather
 player, 9 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 14:34
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Stormfeather spins a little too quickly at the sudden coughing noise, half expecting to see someone other than the assistant that now stood near them.  He nodded towards the assistant and heads over, forgetting any forms of protocol that should likely have been followed.  He hoped nobody noticed just how much like a bandit he himself looked, and his furtive eyes danced around the room in search of anyone that might recognize him as such, or confuse him as one.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 13 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2018
at 15:06
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Chacha bowed her head as she along with rest of the group was dismissed. She stored the scroll in her backpack, giving a curtsy to the Lord Mayor and turned towards the assistant by the door and walked over to him with an expectant smile on her face.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 20 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 04:26
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Istvan bows and departs, eager for the "deposit" that awaits him. He folds the charter neatly and slips it into his belt pouch on his way out of the room.
Kendra Winters
 player, 16 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 06:08
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Kendra rolled the charter carefully before slipping it into a scroll case. The document would be the only thing that separated her from another group of bandits or vigilantes. It was a document that signified that the law was on her side.

She followed the others to speak with the assistant.
DM
 GM, 21 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 12:48
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Tarris, the assistant, stood beside the door and waited for your approach.  He is an older man, dressed in the finery of a borderland court.  He carries himself well and looks as though in his younger years he may have been a warrior or perhaps a laborer.  Once you get a look at his eyes, however, you believe that it is much more likely that this man has seen battle.  Even though he bears no weapon himself other than the dirk at his belt, he evaluates each of you as you approach, assessing your weapons, the way in which you carry yourselves, and your countenance.  Once you are close enough to speak without disturbing the court, Tarris gives you a smile and says, "please follow me."

He led you from the room to the hall which you had taken from the main entrance of the manor to the audience chamber and raised his voice slightly and addressed you.  "Oleg's trading post is to the west along the South Rostland Road.  You shouldn't have any trouble at all on the first two days of your journey."  Tarris looked out of a window as you passed.  "It is still early enough that if you leave within the hour you can make Nivakta's Crossing before full dark even if some of you are on foot.  You'll find it a good place to take your first nights rest.  A day's travel from that along the road will bring you to Fort Serenko.  Ask for Commander Prater and show him your charters.  Tell him that Old Tarris said to take care of you.  He'll make sure you have food and shelter for the night."

Tarris continued to escort you along the hallway, his pace slowed to provide more time to talk as you walked.  The broad hallway was decorated with paintings of the former Lord Mayor's of Restov.  Tarris said, "from there you will be getting into what is truly the Stolen Lands.  Depending on your pace, it is two to three days from Fort Serenko to Oleg's trading post.  I have met Oleg a couple of times.  He had little use for Restov or any other city, if I have him pegged.  I was surprised when we received the first call for help from him.  I didn't think the man had it in him.  But help him we will.  In the few months since he turned that old border fort into a trading post, we've seen significantly more trade with the people that call the Stolen Lands home.  He's helping Restov and Rostland, whether he likes it or not, just by operating where he is.  We will have guards dispatched in a few days, but until they arrive, see what you can do about these bandits accosting the man."

You had finally reached the double doors at the entrance to the manor.  One guard stood on the inside of the doors and unless it had changed since you came in, two additional guards flanked the doors outside.  Tarris stopped at the entrance and the guard opened the left door.  "A word of advice; pay attention to your charter.  Your bounds have been set for a reason.  You are not the only expedition the Swordlords are sending into the Stolen Lands.  There should be plenty of challenge and adventure for you in your alloted area without overstepping your bounds," the assistant continued.

Tarris pulled four coin purses from a pouch at his side and handed one to each of you.  "This is a small deposit from the Lord Mayor to ensure that you can get to your appointment.  Once you arrive, you will be expected to be self-supporting and to carry out your charge.  I wish you good fortune.  Do you have any questions of me before you depart?" he finished.
Stormfeather
 player, 10 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 13:31
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Lacking proper court behaviour, StormFeather immediately looked into the coin pouch to see how much coin lay within, he frowned when he realized it was less than he'd hoped for, and he found himself speaking up before his brain had a chance to tell his mouth to shut it... "Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but seems the sorts, such as ourselves, who would be volunteering for tasks such as this, don't come from wealth.  Personally, would give all this for some old hag of a horse that you'd be sending to the grinder in the coming year... it's a long hard trail to be doing afoot... not looking for something that'd win a race, just something that'll make it a month or so at a pace faster than these old soles on the bottom of my feet 'sall", he states in an sing-song accent that made it clear that Common was not a native tongue for him, and definitely not from this region of the world.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:33, Thu 09 Aug 2018.

Chahna Drazzi
 player, 14 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 14:34
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
"Mister elf does raise a good question, is the good lord able to provide us with horses for the treck? Or new shoes to the poor man, at least?" Chahna chuckled, her question sounding rather non-serious. She smiled at the man and bowed her head apologetically.

"How many expeditions did they send, if you don't mind me? And how were those and ours formed, if there were any factors taken into consideration at all?" She inquired.
DM
 GM, 22 posts
Thu 9 Aug 2018
at 17:50
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Stormfeather was indeed disappointed when he only counted 10 gold pieces in the pouch that Tarris had passed to him.

Tarris smiled, "Good elf, the Lord Mayor does not have horses lying about that he can simply give away.  And you may not understand the value of the charter that you have been given.  The Lord Mayor has been generous beyond measure with you already.  As to walking for a few days, I myself have have made many a forced march of 10 or more days in my career.  I believe your precious little feet will be able to manage a leisurely stroll along a good Rostland road for a few days."  Tarris seemed to be having a little fun at Stormfeather's expense.

Tarris turned his attention to Chahna.  "There should be enough coin there for the elf to have a new set of boots.  As to the other expeditions, the Glenebon Uplands were deemed a greater threat, what with the Tiger Lord tribe operating there.  The Swordlords sent the Iron Wraiths there.  They have sent a group of diplomats and soldiers to the Slough.  The trade through that area must be kept open.  And then just to the south in the Nomen Heights, Maegar Varn, one of our own Swordlords, volunteered to lead the expedition to get the centaurs under control.  I believe the Greenbelt is viewed as the easiest puzzle, but no less important."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Thu 09 Aug 2018.

Stormfeather
 player, 11 posts
Fri 10 Aug 2018
at 08:59
In the Manor of the Lord Mayor of Restov (IC)
Stormfeather nodded nonplussed, thinking to himself that still... 10 gold should be more than enough to get a donkey or better... a mule, and some minor provisions for on the road.  With not so much as a word of departure, Stormfeather wandered off into the township in search of some market or stable in which an old mule could be purchased.  The fact that he should have stayed with the group was lost on him, since he really didn't fancy himself (yet) as a part of the group... he knew they'd head west, so would meet them at the west road out of town.  Assuming he could find a ride...  He'd pick up a couple loaves of bread on the way if he passed a stand, but other than that... he was of a single-mindedness to get something that he could ride on...