Nivakta's Crossing (IC)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 30 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 19:19
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
--- 24th of Calistril, Dusk

The party reached the town of Nivakta's Crossing in the gloom of approaching night.  The gate on the South Rostland Road leading into the eastern side of the palisade was open, but two guards were preparing to close it against full on night.  The path along the South Rostland Road had followed close to the Shrike River, never straying from its bank more than probably a half a mile.  Nivakta's Crossing sat right on the river.  The town and its palisade was completely on the north bank, but a bridge extended across the river with its own gate.  Across the small town, lit by torches, the gate to the continuation of the South Rostland Road, continuing west, could be seen.

Shops in the town are closed with most of the tradesmen that live there already in their homes around their warm fires.  A raucous crowd can be heard coming from what is obviously the only inn and likely the only tavern in the hamlet.  A sign above the door shows the name of the establishment, the Prancing Unicorn.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 20 posts
Mon 13 Aug 2018
at 20:56
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Chahna let out a yawn, stretching out her arms before rubbing her tired eyes. It had been a long day, and the Issian Bard was not used to making such long trips. While she still managed a small smile, the day had slowly started to take its toll on the young woman.

"Sounds like they are having a good time" She commented at the sounds coming from the tavern. The name of the place made her let out a brief chuckle. "Should we go in?" She asked the group.

22:56, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 10 using 1d20+6.  Knowledge Local: Nivakta's Crossing.

Stormfeather
 player, 18 posts
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 07:04
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Stormfeather slid off the mule, rubbing his bottom as he realised he must be bruised from the journey.  It was going to be a very long journey if he didn't develop some resistance to this riding business... He walked with the rest of the group up to the two guards that had been preparing to close the gate, thanking them for entry into the town, making sure to have his papers ready for perusal should they object to his entry.

Once within the town, he acquiesces towards Chahna, "I do think that this is the place to rest, were we wanting to seek repose."
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 28 posts
Tue 14 Aug 2018
at 12:55
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
"This might well be the friendliest place we find to rest for some time, we should certainly take this chance to rest and replenish our supplies," Istvan said as he dismounted and tied his horse off to a post near the tavern.
Kendra Winters
 player, 27 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 04:28
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Lady Winters stopped outside the Prancing Unicorn. She paused in order to dust herself off and adjust her sword at her side. "Let us see the wares of this establishment." She entered first.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 23 posts
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 10:39
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Chahna patted Stormfeather's back "Come now. I will buy you a drink." She offered, raising her shoulder to indicate to her hawk Aisha to fly off. People didn't take kindly to birds of prey inside most places from her experience.

With Aisha taking refuge on the roof of the building Chahna headed towards the inn.
DM
 GM, 32 posts
Wed 15 Aug 2018
at 15:11
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
The Prancing Unicorn was already quite busy.  A good section of the first floor of the inn consisted of a tavern.  The smell of stale beer was prevalent but mingled with the odor of fresh baked bread and some sort of meaty stew.  The tavern was rustic, but offered the normal amenities.  A large roaring fireplace provided a warm fire and you could feel with warmth of the room sting your cheeks as you came in from the cool air of the late winter evening.  A small stage, currently unused, could be seen at the back of the tavern.  A stocky man stood behind the bar and filled tankards with ale.  Two serving girls moved among the crowd and delivered the tankards and bowls of stew with bread to men and women sitting on benches at a number of long tables spaced throughout the room.

Many of the patrons were exactly what you expected.  Local tradesmen, itinerant hunters and trappers, and a few farmers made up about half of the crowd.  A better dressed man of the cloth stood at the bar in conversation with the bar keep.  One long table was filled by a group that looked out of place.  Ten men in buff coats drank and enjoyed themselves.  Their weapons hung at their belts and most of them wore a long sword although a mace and morning star could also be seen.  At the head of their table was a young attractive man of means.  He was dressed in the style of the nobility of Restov and an Aldori dueling sword hung at his side.  He had apparently concluded some jest as you entered and his party were all laughing loudly together.

Once they had quieted down slightly, one of the serving girls noticed you and called across the room, “Welcome strangers.   Grab a table and we will be with in a moment.”  She seemed somewhat harried.  One of the tables had an open area at the end large enough to accommodate your group.
Kendra Winters
 player, 28 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 02:19
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
"That's one well-trained pet." Kendra said over her shoulder.

Once inside, Kendra made her way to the open table. She held up four fingers at the serving girl, "We'll take four ales and bowls of stew."
Stormfeather
 player, 19 posts
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 09:04
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Stormfeather smiled at the young woman, "A drink would be fine, of course.", though admittedly, he wasn't sure what humans called a drink actually qualified as drink.  Fortunately, he'd existed with them long enough to endure the unpleasantness of such misfortunes.  He made his way inside, hiding his face a bit behind the cowl of his cloak, doing his best to avoid looking at, or being seen by what looked like members of the local law enforcement brigade.  He kept his back to them, speaking small talk to Chahna as he walked, and sat in the seat that kept them to his back.

"That hawk of yours, is a real beauty... what's its name, if I may ask.  And what sort of food do you feed it, surely you don't keep raw meat on you... or does it hunt its own food down?", his barrage of questions continuing until he had seated himself, allowing only then his cowl to drop back, his face hidden now by his long alabaster hair.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 24 posts
Thu 16 Aug 2018
at 17:50
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
"Aisha." Chahna reminded the elf as she had already introduced her companion to the man, but was happy nonetheless people took interest in the hawk. "I... Honestly didn't think about it. I hope she can provide for herself. She had been used to hunting rodents around the docks all by herself." She looked worriedly towards the vague direction where her familiar flew to. "I-i think she can manage." She nodded, trying to assure herself.

She sat down by the table with the group, looking around the establishment with curious glee "This place is nice, eh?"
DM
 GM, 34 posts
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 21:50
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
It took the serving maid a few minutes with the number of customers she was trying to attend to, but eventually she made her way to your table.  She carried four tankards with her and she put them down in the middle of your group.  "Your ales, dears.  Your stew is coming right up," she said as she moved quickly away to tend to the large table headed by the young noble from Restov.

The table of men is loud and boisterous and obviously in good spirits.  At one point the noble at the head of the table calls out "Another round for the Varnling Host!" and this is followed by hearty agreement from the men at the table.
Stormfeather
 player, 20 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 08:17
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Glad that the rowdy group of warriors did not seem to notice or care about his presence, Stormfeather relaxed a bit, he picked up his Ale from the table and brought it to his lips, ready to imbibe this raunchy excuse for alcohol when he heard the name of the group... Varnling Host...

He wracked his mind for any clue as to who that was, but of course... knowledge wasn't really his strong suit, so instead he spun around... forgetting his desire to remain unseen to the group as his curiosity struck him hard in the face... "To the Varnling Host!", he exclaimed, raising his mug in their direction as he stood up, "The most reputable warriors in the land!", he continued as he made his way over to the group.  "The night is long, please, regale us with the details of your latest adventure, that bards may spread your reputations even further!", he added with a large grin on his face, and eyes that looked like a child waiting to hear grandpa tell his next story.

He pulled his chair closer to their table, sitting backwards in it, his legs wrapping around the back of the chair as he took a swig from his mug and waited to hear what tales were to be told.
Kendra Winters
 player, 29 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 16:19
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Kendra was surprised when the elf made a loud toast and sat with the Varnling Host. But she only meet him a few days ago. It seemed that the Varnling Host had a reputation. She lifted her ale in the air. "Seems that our friend is quite a fan."
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 25 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 19:12
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Chahna clapped excitedly at Stormfeather, smiling widely at the elf as he praised Varling Host. She than mimicked Kendra and raised her ale in the air.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 30 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 01:28
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Istvan nurses his ale thoughtfully. He doesn't recognize the nobleman, but he's more than wary of the boisterous, uniformed party at the other table. As far as he's concerned, any other armed groups traveling towards the Stolen Lands are competition at best and outright rivals at worst. When Stormfeather proposes a toast, he raises his glass halfway and cocks an eyebrow at the naive elf.
DM
 GM, 35 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 19:30
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
The soldiers seated at the table raised their mugs to Stormfeather's toast.  The noble at the head of the table finally took notice of the newcomers to the tavern.  At Stormfeather's request, however, the men chuckled while the noble smiled.  "Ask us again in a year, my friend, for our company has just been formed.  Now, these men before you, they could tell you tales of their individual exploits.  To a man they are blooded warriors, and the finest mercenaries, but only recently brought together to help fulfill my charter.  We intend to settle the lands to the south of here and to bring peace with the centaurs that inhabit that land, hopefully by diplomacy, but by force if necessary!"  The noble's hand went to his Aldori dueling sword and drew it a few inches from its scabbard as he finished his impromptu speech.

The men seemed encouraged by the noble's words and his praise of them.  One near the head of the table raised his mug and said, "to our leader, Lord Maegar Varn, Swordlord of Restov!" The men cheered and raised their mugs to the new toast and banged their hands on the table.  Lord Varn raised a hand in response, "thank you!"
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 31 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 20:56
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Istvan nodded slowly. Competition it was, then. Perhaps the Stolen Lands would be big enough for multiple group, but, then again, perhaps not. Time would tell if these mercenaries would obey the confines of their charter, and if not, he trusted there was more than a good bit of bluster in the group. He perked up at the mention of the nobleman's name, and racked his brain for information about the man,


15:45, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 11 using 1d20+1.  Knowledge: nobility on Maegar Varn.

Stormfeather
 player, 22 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 08:05
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
TwoFeathers shrugged a bit, he had the intel he wanted of the group and didn't rightly concern himself with other details, he just sort of quietly commented towards Chahna, "I don't think this is the Varking Host that I'd heard of...  Copycats I guess...".  With that, he took another swig of his drink, looking to see where the stew was at.  Was too bad, stories in taverns were always a good past-time.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 26 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 17:47
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Chahna's eyes grew wide with Stormfeather's suspicions and her cheery expression melted away into one of calm stoicism. She simply nodded and looked at the group celebrating. From her line of work she has learned to trust what people say very little when it came to business. She didn't want to start off their evening by uncovering group abusing reputation of others, but if Stormfeather was right...

20:36, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 11 using 1d20+5.  Knowledge Nobility on Maegar Varn.

Kendra Winters
 player, 30 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 18:15
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
Kendra almost laughed when Stormfeather whispered his suspicion. The information was useful, all information was useful in one way or another. "Something are better left alone. We don't need to get involved..."
DM
 GM, 36 posts
Fri 24 Aug 2018
at 18:44
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
[OOC: Chahna and Istvan have heard of the Varn family.  They are nobility in Restov.  The leader of the house is a Swordlord and an adviser to the Lord Mayor.  The name Maegar Varn does not ring a bell.]

Your stew and bread is brought to the table and the evening passes.  The members of the Varnling Host seem emboldened by Stormfeather's request and Lord Varn's boast about their history as warriors and take it upon themselves to regale the table with tales of their exploits.  Their stories, if true, do portray those that speak as experienced warriors and soldiers.

As the night wears on the locals leave the tavern.  Tables are moved to the side to make room for guests to sleep by the hearth.  The serving maid stops by your table again to settle up and offer you shelter for the night.

[OOC: The ale is 4 cp per mug.  The stew and bread is 3 cp.  Sleeping in the common area is 2 sp if you are sleeping on the floor.  A raised cot with pillow and blanket can be provided for 5 sp.  If you want a small private room, that can be arranged for 2 gp.]
DM
 GM, 38 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 14:44
Nivakta's Crossing (IC)
After a good night's rest not on the road, you wake up to filling breakfast of bread, butter, and cheese served with milk and then are able to continue your journey.  The Varnling Host breaks their fast in the common room as well and as you are setting out to the west along the South Rostland Road, you see them departing Nivakta's Crossing to the south across the bridge that passes over the Shrike River and into the area known as the Nomen Heights.  The soldiers as well as Lord Varn are in their armor and mounted on warhorses and definitely look the proper military force as they begin their ride to the south.

Your travel along the South Rostland Road is without incident for the day and as promised, in the late afternoon, you see a fort ahead set just off the road.  The road continues beyond the fort and heads almost directly west while the Shrike River turns to the south west.  You are stopped at the gate of the fort with the watch master at first indicating that the fort is not a tavern or inn.  With a little discussion and a presentation of your charters, his opinion changes completely and you are welcomed into its protective walls.  You are taken to meet Captain Jubal Weems, the commander of the fort.  He provides you with dinner and gets at least as much information from you about the state of affairs in Restov as he provides.  Fort Serenko was established to keep the denizens of the Stolen Lands to the south out of Rostland.  Captain Weems has been at this post for 6 months and so far he and his men have seen almost no action.  He has not seen any action from barbarian tribes, the bandits know better than to take action against a well fortified location properly staffed with trained soldiers, and the centaurs do not seem to be interested in crossing the Shrike.

The captain provides you with beds in a bunkhouse not currently being used and you get another good nights rest.  After being fed in the morning and your feed restocked for any animals, you depart for Oleg's trading post.  Seeing that some of you are on foot, Captain Weems informs you that you should plan on two nights under the stars and hopes you are adequately prepared.

Captain Weems prediction holds true as it takes you two and half days travel before you see what must be Oleg's Trading Post in the distance.  Your trip in this area was quiet with the only excitement being a small herd of elk that you spot in the distance one morning. Weems had informed you that Oleg had set up shop in an old, abandoned border fort and that is what you see.